Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on Will There Be Another Government Sponsored Commo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on Will There Be Another Government Sponsored Commons Vote On Military Intervention In Syria By Year End?

David Cameron said today ‘Parliament spoke very clearly and it’s important to respect the view of parliament so I’m not planning to return to parliament to ask again about British military action.’

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    No
  • Options
    Unless there some form of black swan event which shocks the world, then no...
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I think it highly unlikely. Something very significant would have to change on the ground. Plus, it could be lose-lose for the Government. If the vote is No, then that's double defeat with a side order of not accepting the will of Parliament the first time. If the vote is Yes, that's a vote for an unpopular war and means repeatedly asking the same question until the 'right' answer is given. As Clegg has said, that's clearly unreasonable and unfair (although he might pause to consider that it's also exactly how his beloved EU behaves all the time).

F1: Horner insists that Ricciardo will not be a number 2 driver, and that Ben Affleck is a universally popular choice to play Batman:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/redbull/motorsport/story/123057.html
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited September 2013

You mean if Iran attacks Israel and/or plays silly buggers in the Straits of Hormuz in response to a US attack on Syria?

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, don't the US have a fleet in that area, as well as the helpful strategic support of Bahrain?
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013
    FPT, but more relevant to this thread:
    Cyclefree said:

No - why "as simple as that". Why is it acceptable for a child to be blown to bits by a bomb with nails in it but not acceptable to be suffocated by sarin? Why is it acceptable for people to be publicly beheaded in the most cruel way imaginable and we do nothing but are happy to intervene so that the perpetrators of such acts come to power?

It's not acceptable. That is a completely daft argument.

It is very simple. Since the Geneva Protocol of 1925, mankind has been quite remarkably succesful in outlwawing, almost entirely, the use of chemical weapons to kill even troops, let alone civilians. There are just a handful of exceptions (mainly Saddam Hussein), but broadly speaking this is one compartment of Pandora's box which virtually every country in the world has agreed to keep firmly shut.

That's good, right? Just because we haven't been successful in agreeing to rule out all sorts of other nasty things, is hardly an argument to throw away one of the few really nasty things we have managed to rule out. And chemical weapons are particularly well worth keeping completely banned because they are very dangerous, extremely cheap, and above all are particularly well suited to the mass murder of men, women and children in wars of ethnic cleansing by mad dictators.

The fact that we've almost entirely succeeded in averting at least this evil is something worth preserving, is it not? The alternative - the use of chemical weapons to kill thousands of children first by Assad, then by other Middle East tyrants, and other tyrants around the world - is surely not something we can contemplate with equanimity.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, don't the US have a fleet in that area, as well as the helpful strategic support of Bahrain?

They do, but they may need matériel support from us
  • Options
    On topic: Not for the first time, Paddy has screwed up the wording of the bet and left it ambiguous.

There won't be a second vote on Britain taking part in action, but there could be a vote supporting US action.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408953/Texas-father-beat-Jesus-Flores-death-raping-5-year-old-daughter-NOT-face-murder-charges.html

Perhaps we could do with some of that Texan justice here - our police would have most likely freed the rapist under some human rights pretext.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2013

If the vote is No, then that's double defeat with a side order of not accepting the will of Parliament the first time.

Maybe if EdM gave his assurance to back the government that would make a difference.
    cough
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

You mean if Iran attacks Israel and/or plays silly buggers in the Straits of Hormuz in response to a US attack on Syria?

That would only happen after a US strike - would we bother with a vote once the air strikes had happened - would be very Belgian.

Also the bet references "govt sponsored" - unlikely that it wouldnt be a joint sponsored bill to ensure the pusillanimous Miliband didn't get a call from UNITE on the way to the lobby.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953
    Curse of the new thread...

@Richard_Tyndall

I know you work in the oil industry, and I am a mere finance person (albeit one who has spoken at the AECO conference in Texas a couple of times), but the US will not be an oil exporter in 2016.

Current US oil consumption is around 18.5 million barrels per day. Current US oil production (2012) is around 6.5 million barrels. On my forecasts, the US gets to 10 million barrels a day by the end of the decade (and maybe a little more), with the big increases coming from the Bakken (which is not a shale, but is being opened up thanks to horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing), the Permian and the Eagle Ford.

It's worth remembering that these wells have *huge* decline rates, so that increasing production means big increases in overall drilling intensity. (To put in context, because of the rise of shale gas, natural gas has a blended average decline rate across the US of 23-24%. If the US didn't drill another well, production would fall by almost a quarter in the first year. Tight oil - which is a better moniker than shale oil - has much higher decline rates than conventionals.)

While the US will become a natural gas exporter in the next few years, as Lake Charles and Sabine Pass and Cove Point and various other LNG terminals are built, it is highly unlikely to become an oil exporter. (Unless, of course, we start to see GTL plants like Pearl being built in the US. Which, for environmental reasons I suspect we won't.)
  • Options

That, or some shocking case of WMD which kills thousands and sways public thought.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The fact that we've almost entirely succeeded in averting at least this evil is something worth preserving, is it not? ''

What puzzles me a bit is why Assad did not factor this into his decision to use chemical weapons.

He must have known gas would have been a no-no with the west. Why not take the Russian and Iranian backing and grind the rebels down conventionally? Why add to your list of active enemies hugely for very little gain?

Something still doesn't add up.
  • Options

That, or some shocking case of WMD which kills thousands and sways public thought.
    What if the JIT discover that Syria could hit the Uk with 45 minutes warning ?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''The fact that we've almost entirely succeeded in averting at least this evil is something worth preserving, is it not? ''

What puzzles me a bit is why Assad did not factor this into his decision to use chemical weapons.

He must have known gas would have been a no-no with the west. Why not take the Russian and Iranian backing and grind the rebels down conventionally? Why add to your list of active enemies hugely for very little gain?

Well it worked on us.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Presumably he didn't believe Obama would stick to his red line. In fact, it does seem as though he tried small-scale attacks first, and so, getting no reaction, he may have become emboldened. And that is the point.

Like you, my first reaction was that it seemed odd. But the evidence is absolutely overwhelming - unlike in the case of Iraq, every Western country seems to agree on the facts.
  • Options
    taffys said:

He correctly guessed the appetite for war in the West was waning due to terribly conceived previous campaigns based on dodgy dossiers.
  • Options
    By the way, my number for US oil production was an actual 2012. The very latest number for 2013 is for an annual rate of 7.3million (with a July figure of 7.5!). The increase of 800,000 bp/day is huge by any standards.

You can include other liquid by-products (NGLs, Butane, etc.) in the US oil production numbers if you wish to flatter the figures, but as your car won't run on ethane, this is slightly misleading.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I blame TSE!
    :)
  • Options
    Years end?.. bit bloody late..
  • Options
    Assad must have met ED.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Richard_Tyndall

I know you work in the oil industry, and I am a mere finance person (albeit one who has spoken at the AECO conference in Texas a couple of times), but the US will not be an oil exporter in 2016.

Current US oil consumption is around 18.5 million barrels per day. Current US oil production (2012) is around 6.5 million barrels. On my forecasts, the US gets to 10 million barrels a day by the end of the decade (and maybe a little more), with the big increases coming from the Bakken (which is not a shale, but is being opened up thanks to horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing), the Permian and the Eagle Ford.

It's worth remembering that these wells have *huge* decline rates, so that increasing production means big increases in overall drilling intensity. (To put in context, because of the rise of shale gas, natural gas has a blended average decline rate across the US of 23-24%. If the US didn't drill another well, production would fall by almost a quarter in the first year. Tight oil - which is a better moniker than shale oil - has much higher decline rates than conventionals.)

While the US will become a natural gas exporter in the next few years, as Lake Charles and Sabine Pass and Cove Point and various other LNG terminals are built, it is highly unlikely to become an oil exporter. (Unless, of course, we start to see GTL plants like Pearl being built in the US. Which, for environmental reasons I suspect we won't.)

You may well be right Robert, I certainly don't have the in depth knowledge of the US oil industry needed to argue the case either way. I am mostly working from the trade journals which have been discussing this for the last couple of years and are suggesting that the US will be exporting oil within the time frame I mentioned (as a best case).

By the way US oil production has increased by around a million barrels a day in 6 months and stood at 7 1/2 million barrels a day in July.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    taffys said:

Except that if Assad calculated some countries wouldn't take action on chemical weapons he's been proved right as far as Britain is concerned.
  • Options
    @NancyPelosi : "President Obama did not draw the red line. Humanity drew it decades ago."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

By the way, my number for US oil production was an actual 2012. The very latest number for 2013 is for an annual rate of 7.3million (with a July figure of 7.5!). The increase of 800,000 bp/day is huge by any standards.

You can include other liquid by-products (NGLs, Butane, etc.) in the US oil production numbers if you wish to flatter the figures, but as your car won't run on ethane, this is slightly misleading.

Didn't see this until I missed my edit possibility on my reply to your original post. Apologies for repeating what you had already pointed out.
  • Options
    ''He correctly guessed the appetite for war in the West was waning due to terribly conceived previous campaigns based on dodgy dossiers.''

Maybe Assad also noticed that countries like Britain were paring defence spending to the bone. In fact beyond the bone.

The very politicians who defanged the wolf are now asking it to bite - and people like Lord Ashdown should be asked why, if they are so keen to intervene around the world, they have rendered our armed forces to spectacularly unfit to carry out their bidding.

• Options

By the way US oil production has increased by around a million barrels a day in 6 months and stood at 7 1/2 million barrels a day in July.

Yes, it's an incredible increase - and that's despite Gulf production still down post Macondo. The issue (apart from the fact that it would still take 10 or 11 years at 1 million barrel per day increases to reach the 18.5m consumption number...) is that if the decline rates in these is 30% (which I'd guess is probably an optimistic assumption), then you get to a situation where you need add 3 to 4 million barrels of new production every year just to hold overall production flat.

That's an insane amount - you'd want to be seriously long Halliburton (pressure pumping), sand quarries, railroads, and the drillers (Nabors, etc.)
  • Options

taffys said:

Presumably he didn't believe Obama would stick to his red line. In fact, it does seem as though he tried small-scale attacks first, and so, getting no reaction, he may have become emboldened. And that is the point.

Like you, my first reaction was that it seemed odd. But the evidence is absolutely overwhelming - unlike in the case of Iraq, every Western country seems to agree on the facts.
    Not sure how you can claim the evidence is overwhelming when, at this moment in time you klike the rest of us have not seen a single scrap of that evidence. All we have is politicians and intelligence operatives telling us it is damning but not allowing us to make up our own minds.

I remind you again how we have been mislead by this same combination of intelligence operatives and politicians in the recent past.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited September 2013
    taffys said:

''He correctly guessed the appetite for war in the West was waning due to terribly conceived previous campaigns based on dodgy dossiers.''

Maybe Assad also noticed that countries like Britain were paring defence spending to the bone. In fact beyond the bone.

The very politicians who defanged the wolf are now asking it to bite - and people like Lord Ashdown should be asked why, if they are so keen to intervene around the world, they have rendered our armed forces to spectacularly unfit to carry out their bidding.

To be fair to Lord Ashdown he has never been in government...
  • Options

Not sure how you can claim the evidence is overwhelming when, at this moment in time you klike the rest of us have not seen a single scrap of that evidence. All we have is politicians and intelligence operatives telling us it is damning but not allowing us to make up our own minds.

I remind you again how we have been mislead by this same combination of intelligence operatives and politicians in the recent past.

Not quite - in the case of Iraq there were clear disagreements amongst our allies as to the facts. France in particular were extremely sceptical, even to the point of contradicting the US/UK position. So it's not the same combination.

Anyway the main players here - Cameron, Hague, Obama, Kerry and Biden - are hardly Blair, Straw, Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

No - why "as simple as that". Why is it acceptable for a child to be blown to bits by a bomb with nails in it but not acceptable to be suffocated by sarin? Why is it acceptable for people to be publicly beheaded in the most cruel way imaginable and we do nothing but are happy to intervene so that the perpetrators of such acts come to power?

It is very simple. Since the Geneva Protocol of 1925, mankind has been quite remarkably succesful in outlwawing, almost entirely, the use of chemical weapons to kill even troops, let alone civilians. There are just a handful of exceptions (mainly Saddam Hussein), but broadly speaking this is one compartment of Pandora's box which virtually every country in the world has agreed to keep firmly shut.

That's good, right? Just because we haven't been successful in agreeing to rule out all sorts of other nasty things, is hardly an argument to throw away one of the few really nasty things we have managed to rule out. And chemical weapons are particularly well worth keeping completely banned because they are very dangerous, extremely cheap, and above all are particularly well suited to the mass murder of men, women and children in wars of ethnic cleansing by mad dictators.

The fact that we've almost entirely succeeded in averting at least this evil is something worth preserving, is it not? The alternative - the use of chemical weapons to kill thousands of children first by Assad, then by other Middle East tyrants, and other tyrants around the world - is surely not something we can contemplate with equanimity.
    That's my thinking as well, and why action (whether diplomatic or military) on the use of chemical weapons is vital. The treaties need to be upheld. Mistakes have been made in the past: that is no reason to repeat them now.

In the dying days of the Third Reich, when everything was crumbling, Hitler did not order the use of his advanced chemical weapons stocks against Allied troops. He used every other weapon in his armoury, but the chemical weapons were left in their tanks.

Why would such an evil man not use every weapon at his disposal? Perhaps because he had been the victim of mustard gas in WWI, and knew its horrors.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2013
    Blimey! More threads than hot dinners today.

1939 Diary (continued)
    September 3rd 1939.

I was aloud outside as usual on my tricycle this morning and saw the barrage ballon go up from the common. Dad and Uncle Harry finally finished taping the windows.
    The air raid siren sounded and I was rushed into the house.................
    I'm in a train with my hurriedly packed family travelling to Durham of all places to stay with my Uncle Lou. ( i was told later that that train journy took 10 hours!)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Not quite - in the case of Iraq there were clear disagreements amongst our allies as to the facts. France in particular were extremely sceptical, even to the point of contradicting the US/UK position. So it's not the same combination.

Anyway the main players here - Cameron, Hague, Obama, Kerry and Biden - are hardly Blair, Straw, Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney.
    Powell was secretary of state not Rumsfield. Wonder why you're not comparing like with like.
  • Options
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 1h View translation

AFP: French President Francois Hollande calls on Europe to unite on #Syria crisis

Ed's best mate no more.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Powell was secretary of state not Rumsfield. Wonder why you're not comparing like with like.

I know that, smart-ass.

Read what I said.
  • Options

Sorry you don't get away with that. Just because they happen to be your flavour of politician as opposed to someone else's does not make a good reason why they would not act in exactly the same way. Nor is it any reason for the rest of us to give them the benefit of the doubt.

By the way, your comments about red lines and not accepting the use of chemical weapons are about 30 years out of date. I am not talking about Halabja but about the widespread use of chemical weapons by Iraq in battlefield situations against the Iranians. Something that raised hardly a murmur of disapproval in the West. But of course the victims were those nasty Iranians and the Iraqis were being armed and supplied by the West. The CIA were actually providing Iraq with intelligence and reconnaissance to better help them target their chemical weapons.

In 1986 the UNSC issued a statement condemning the use of chemical weapons by Iraq and guess what... the US voted against it. So much for Pelosi and her red lines.
  • Options
    o/T

Dan Hodges whining that being the offspring of a Labour Mp is now a hindrance

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100234094/being-john-prescotts-son-doesnt-make-you-popular-in-the-labour-party-these-days/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Can you imagine what it’s like being Tony Blair’s son in Ed Miliband’s Labour party? Labour’s process of political definition is wholly predicated on consigning his father, and his legacy, to the dustbin of history. Everywhere he goes, every meeting he attends, Euan Blair is treated to the spectacle of Lefty rent-a-gobs mouthing off about how his father is at best a traitor and at worst a war criminal."

"But Labour has new masters now. People like Len McCluskey dispense the real patronage. Ed Miliband’s inner circle is the one into which those with parliamentary aspirations must ingratiate themselves. Having once had the ear of Peter Mandelson no longer cuts any ice.

Not so long ago the offspring of Blairism would have secured their passage with the flash of a surname. Now they have to prove they spent their gap year down a pit, their twenties on a sink estate, and their thirties teaching in a Rwandan leper colony. Or, alternatively, that they once went raving with Chuka Umunna."
  • Options
    taffys said:

I think you are assuming several things. Firstly, that Assad's mindset is the same as ours. It almost certainly is not. He and his family have committed many atrocities against his own people in the past decades. Perhaps they think differently to us about such matters?

Secondly, if he was bothered about such things, why had he built up such a large stockpile of chemical weapons over the years? (Allegedly hundreds of tonnes of agents.) (1) And why did he have a secret alleged nuclear program? (a reactor site was bombed by the Israelis in 2007)

Thirdly, you assume that he is winning. He is in a crisis that threatens his regime and his life - he will have seen what happened to Gadaffi, Saddam and others. He might judge that the threats from the west - so far toothless - are of less immediate concern to him than the conflict in the Damascus suburbs. Deal with the immediate threat from the rebels, and then deal with the international community later.

The important thing is to ensure that the effects of the international response (whether diplomatic or military) to the use of WMD are greater than the tactical advantages gained from their use.

(1): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    taffys said:

It all depends on how you use the military assets that you have. Even if you reduce the size of your armed forces sensible planning can ensure that they are capable of defined tasks. British defence cuts will have had no impact on Assad's thinking. The Yanks are the ones to watch - they don't need any help except for political cover.

• Options

Jonathan said:

I know that, smart-ass.

Read what I said.
    He did read what you said. You listed the current UK PM and FS along with the current POTUS, SoS and VP. But you then listed the Gulf War era PM, FS, POTUS, Secretary of Defence VP.

Why did you list Rumsfeld and not Powell? Is Rumsfeld more 'evil' in your eyes and so more useful to your point?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    edited September 2013

Cyclefree said:

Richard: of course I don't contemplate the use of chemical weapons with equanimity. But if we're to stop the use of chemical weapons then we need to go into Syria and seize all the supplies in order to stop their use. Is that what's proposed? No.

If Assad stops using chemical weapons we're apparently prepared to let him - as we have been for the last 2 years - kill his own people in equally horrible ways. Knives and guns and bombs are just as dangerous, cheap and well suited to the mass murder of civilians as chemical weapons.

Will lobbing a few bombs at Assad stop his use of chemical weapons if he still has access to them? Unlikely. If we really wanted to stop this appalling civil war we'd have to do a lot more than anyone is seriously contemplating. You cannot win any war - let alone a civil war - let alone a civil war in the Middle East by dropping some bombs from the air. If Iraq and Afghanistan and Lebanon and Iran and drone strikes in Pakistan and Somalia have taught us anything, they should have taught us that.

If Assad falls from power, what next? That's the question we should be asking ourselves - and answering before embarking on military action.

If the answer is something worse than we have now, then we have to ask why it is worth doing? We have a choice here between the awful and the likely more awful.

I wish - I really wish - it were otherwise.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

That's my thinking as well, and why action (whether diplomatic or military) on the use of chemical weapons is vital. The treaties need to be upheld. Mistakes have been made in the past: that is no reason to repeat them now.

In the dying days of the Third Reich, when everything was crumbling, Hitler did not order the use of his advanced chemical weapons stocks against Allied troops. He used every other weapon in his armoury, but the chemical weapons were left in their tanks.

Why would such an evil man not use every weapon at his disposal? Perhaps because he had been the victim of mustard gas in WWI, and knew its horrors.
    As I said in reply to Richard I am afraid you missed the boat by 30 years or so. The US helping Iraq to target their chemical weapons that caused in excess of 50,000 Iranian casualties means that genie was out of the bottle long ago.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Thanks to Ed at least Dave won't be followed round by people calling him a war criminal.

Out of touch FOP maybe but not war criminal.

Should be grateful really
  • Options
    @Richard_Tyndall - Very amusing. Barrack Obama, Joe Biden and John Kerry are my sort of politician, are they? News to me.

Surely you can understand that those guys, unlike Cheney and Rumsfeld, are not exactly chafing at the bit to find an excuse for military action.

As for the use of chemical weapons by Iraq, of course I know about that (you can see my name, for heaven's sake!). But that was a rare exception to the general success since 1925. Indeed, in retrospect the world would have been a much better place if the West had reacted more firmly to it, and especially to Halabja. It didn't, but that's not an argument for repeating the mistake.
  • Options
    We helped in Libya from the air...
  • Options
    The treaties need to be upheld.

Then why aren't we equipping our forces to uphold the treaties??

People talk about war weariness, but I don't think its really that. It's war unpreparedness weariness.

People are completely fed up of our superb armed forces personnel being sent in in numbers which are too small and completely under-powered. And when you come back its p45 time for you sunshine. And your family lives in a sh8t hole while you serve. And you earn absolute peanuts.

We've got champagne intervention tastes on a beer budget. And it just won;t do.

The warmongers have to earn the right to send our boys in - and they haven't. And therefore the voters have quite rightly taken away with train set. And more power to them.

You want to intervene buddy? double our defence budget.
  • Options

@Richard_Tyndall - Very amusing. Barrack Obama, Joe Biden and John Kerry are my sort of politician, are they? News to me.

Surely you can understand that those guys, unlike Cheney and Rumsfeld, are not exactly chafing at the bit to find an excuse for military action.

As for the use of chemical weapons by Iraq, of course I know about that (you can see my name, for heaven's sake!). But that was a rare exception to the general success since 1925. Indeed, in retrospect the world would have been a much better place if the West had reacted more firmly to it, and especially to Halabja. It didn't, but that's not an argument for repeating the mistake.

My point is that not only did the US not disapprove, they actually helped Iraq use chemical weapons against the Iranians. They also blocked condemnation by the UN of their use.

I agree entirely that does not mean we cannot put it right this time (if we are willing to commit to actually putting troops on the ground in a religious civil war as that is the only way you will get any reasonable result here) but the idea that the US can now claim to be drawing red lines on moral grounds to uphold decades old inviolable treaties when they helped to break those treaties on a massive scale 30 years ago is just garbage. It is no wonder the rest of the world don't take them seriously.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013
    @Cyclefree - Those are all fair points, but I think it's important to distinguish the principle - that we in the West really have a strong interest, even duty, to try to stop the use of chemical weapons, which is the justification for considering action - from the quite separate question of whether any specific action would be effective or would be too risky. To my mind those two questions are the ones we should be concentrating on, and we shouldn't mix them up with the question of the principle.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

As I said in reply to Richard I am afraid you missed the boat by 30 years or so. The US helping Iraq to target their chemical weapons that caused in excess of 50,000 Iranian casualties means that genie was out of the bottle long ago.
    Then as I said in another post, all the more reason to correct those mistakes now and ensure the precedent is put firmly back in place.

If one person escapes a murder charge through police corruption, does that mean the law of murder is invalid for a crime committed thirty years later?

Of course not.

So let me ask you a question: do you want the chemical warfare treaties to remain in place and part of international law?
  • Options

Why did you list Rumsfeld and not Powell?

Because Rumsfeld was pushing for an invasion of Iraq, of course, and was a prime mover.

This is hardly a controversial observation, is it?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I'm into Godwin's Law territory here but a very large number indeed of civilians were killed by chemicals on Hitler's orders.......

The argument here is not about ends - we'd all like chemical weapons not to be used and for Assad to stop killing, by whatever means, fellow Syrians. The real questions are whether we can achieve that by the means proposed or whether we risk making an appalling situation even worse.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Very different I'm afraid. The main threat to the Libyan rebels was the Libyan armour which was turning the tide against the rebellion. In this case the main turning point was the arrival in large numbers of Hezbollah and other fighters in support of the Syrian government. That has transformed the strategic position on the ground and it is not something that we can solve by throwing a few missiles or even concentrated bombing from the air.

If you are serious about wanting to deal with the whole situation and negating the dangerous elements in both sides of this particular war the only way would be full scale invasion similar to Iraq or Afghanistan. And even there - as we have seen - that is no guarantee of success.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    edited September 2013

Cyclefree said:

Then as I said in another post, all the more reason to correct those mistakes now and ensure the precedent is put firmly back in place.

If one person escapes a murder charge through police corruption, does that mean the law of murder is invalid for a crime committed thirty years later?

Of course not.

So let me ask you a question: do you want the chemical warfare treaties to remain in place and part of international law?
    Yes. So now you provide me with a viable way to enforce them. If you come back and say full scale invasion of Syria then I will agree with you. Anything else will just make matters far far worse and will not achieve your aim.

Once we have agreement on that we can then start discussing how we will persuade the public that it is in our best interests to commit underfunded and overstretched troops to yet another Middle Eastern War.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    It will need another serious chemical weapons attack to justify another vote imho. You are betting on whether Assad thinks that he could get away with yet another attack on his own people. My betting is that his nasty toys are back in the (deep underground) toy box. For now. They will only be used again if the steps of the Presidential Palace are at risk of being stormed - but he will already be long away from Syria if things decay that badly.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm into Godwin's Law territory here but a very large number indeed of civilians were killed by chemicals on Hitler's orders.......

The argument here is not about ends - we'd all like chemical weapons not to be used and for Assad to stop killing, by whatever means, fellow Syrians. The real questions are whether we can achieve that by the means proposed or whether we risk making an appalling situation even worse.
    Which is why I specifically said he did not use them against Allied troops. He knew that if he used them, the Allies would retaliate in kind (although apparently ours were less efficient than German weapons). ISTR he also never visited the chemical warfare test ranges, whereas he did every other weapons test range.

I'm assuming he felt the victims in the camps were a lesser class, and could not fight back with such weapons. That's a fairly blind guess, and probably as far as I'd want to go investigating Hitler's mindset.

But the fact remains, whilst he used virtually every other weapon available to him against enemy troops, he did not use chemical weapons.

I'm also very concerned about what we can achieve, and the effects of any action. But inaction also has terrible risks in both the short and long terms.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

"Libya at crossroads as strikes threaten oil supplies"
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/03/libya-oil-supplies-tripoli

"Libya: Violent Response to Tripoli Prison Mutiny"
    http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/09/03/libya-violent-response-tripoli-prison-mutiny

"Daughter of Libya’s former spy chief abducted after released from prison"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/daughter-of-libyas-former-spy-chief-abducted-after-released-from-prison/2013/09/02/e122a554-140e-11e3-b220-2c950c7f3263_story.html
  • Options

Of course not.

Yes. So now you provide me with a viable way to enforce them. If you come back and say full scale invasion of Syria then I will agree with you. Anything else will just make matters far far worse and will not achieve your aim.

Once we have agreement on that we can then start discussing how we will persuade the public that it is in our best interests to commit underfunded and overstretched troops to yet another Middle Eastern War.
    Re-read what I posted yesterday - my views on this are all there.

But I will repeat it again: we need to make the consequences of using chemical weapons greater than the tactical advantages gained from using them. That could be done by means other than invasion, which you seem rather fixated on.
  • Options

[Homer Simpson voice] BOOOOR-ING!

• Options
    @tim - Not strange at all. I've no idea if there's any truth in that report (it is the Guardian, after all), but if so I condemn that particular British action unreservedly.

What about you?
  • Options

Of course not.

But I will repeat it again: we need to make the consequences of using chemical weapons greater than the tactical advantages gained from using them. That could be done by means other than invasion, which you seem rather fixated on.
    Hardly fixated. The last two postings are the first time I have raised it as a possibility.

But you are still talking in platitudes.

Stop making vague statements and start explaining clearly what we should and could do to:

1: actually punish Assad (if that is your desire)

2:send a message to the rest of the world (which they will ignore since the rule seems to be you mustn't use chemical weapons unless you are our ally in which case we will help you target them)

and most importantly

3: do this without making the civil war on the ground far worse and incidentally killing lots more civilians with western bombs rather than Arabic chemical weapons.

Oh and if you could also try and make sure that when you punish Assad you don't do it so much that he actually loses and we end up with a virulently anti-western regime in Damascus that would be great.
  • Options
    @Josias Jessop -

"I'm also very concerned about what we can achieve, and the effects of any action. But inaction also has terrible risks in both the short and long terms."

Agreed: there are very heavy risks of both action and inaction. I share your and Richard N's concerns about the important principle to be upheld; I disagree with you about the means and, indeed, about whether Britain can do anything effective at all, given the state of its military and the fact that it hardly covered itself with glory in Iraq in any case.

I think that the burden is on those politicians wanting to intervene militarily to make the case for intervention - and rather better than they have done so far (which has tended to be of the "oh how horrible, we must do something and BTW this is not like Iraq 2003" variety).

(As for Hitler, I specifically referred to civilians because Assad is targeting civilians - though presumably his justification is that they are all terrorists or harbouring them - and that seemed a better comparison.)
  • Options
    As Obama is now talking about widening the aim of military action to hasten regime change, then that makes UK support even more unlikely. Add to that, Ed.M has now decided to subcontract the UIK foreign policy to the whims of the UN Security Council by saying that he will now only support action if the Security Council approves it, then the idea of another vote disappears right off the table. The only thing that would alter it is , if a Nato country (ie Turkey) was attacked. We are then bound ot help defend them. In that situation our national security comes dierctly into play as once the foundation doctrine of supporting a fellow member iws being attacked is broken then we leave oruselves open to the same perfidious treatment if we are attacked.
  • Options
    Off topic, will feminists lay off beauty contests now that islamists are targeting Miss World in Indonesia? (huff post).

History makes for strange bedfellows...
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT
    DavidL said:

An interesting angle on the immigration debate by Jeremy Warner: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/10282028/Mass-immigration-has-made-Britain-a-less-competitive-economy.html

Basically, he argues that the ready availability of cheap foreign labour lies behind our appalling productivity record. Why do you need to invest in making your current labour more productive when there is an inexhaustible supply? I think economically that makes sense but why would it apply to the UK more than any other EU country? Is it that immigration is more of a practical reality here than elsewhere in Europe?

It will depend on proportions of unskilled vs skilled and in particular illegal immigration as that is almost entirely unskilled (in my experience anyway).

So for example if a country is seen as the softest touch as far as illegal immigration is concerned - ease of entry, minimal deportation, eventually getting a passport as a reward - then that country will get a disproportionate amount of the the pool of illegal immigration.

If cheap labour made countries rich then all the poorest countries in the world would be the richest. Cheap labour has a negative effect on innovation and productivity and is a drag on the economy long-term
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104

Spot on.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited September 2013
    @Tim

'Documents show British ministers knew at the time that the £14m plant, called Falluja 2, was likely to be used for mustard and nerve gas production."'

If it's so compelling show us the documents.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited September 2013
    What worries me, and I guess the British public as well, is, where does it end? There seems confusion as to what the aim of military intervention actually is.

1) Is it just to destroy Syria's CW capability? Then what next?
    2) Is it aimed at bringing Assad to the negotiating table (what other parties will be at the table? Al Qaeda?)
    3) Is it aimed at bringing Assad down? Full on regime change? Again, then what next?

I'm not convinced that air strikes alone would be enough to bring about 1and 2, and what will be targeted? Assad's palace? Are his Mrs and kids fair game?
    Bringing about 3 definitely need boots on the ground, and who is going to fill those boots?

Is it the Chemical attacks that have bought about the seemingly urgent need for action, or is it that the civil war has dragged on, and there looks no end in sight?

Do we really want to dive straight into Syria, after failing so miserably in Iraq, and ceding Afghanistan back over to the Taliban in the next few years?

• Options
    Tim
    "Turkey has already been attacked."

Fair point Tim but what I had in mind was the start of a regional war which drew Turkey in.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Your argument is entirely bogus in the context of an ethno-sectarian civil war where acting against Assad also leads to an entirely foreseeable breach of Geneva conventions on a massive scale.

It only makes even the slightest bit of sense if you deliberately exclude the entirely foreseeable consequences of the action you are proposing.

This is why the regime change lobby won't admit the problem of our heart-eating allies on the ground. They know it blows their case out of the water.

They know it. That's why they won;t address it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

taffys said:

Except that if Assad calculated some countries wouldn't take action on chemical weapons he's been proved right as far as Britain is concerned.
    One of the reasons there's reluctance is it makes absolutely no sense for Assad to do it while at the same time it makes perfect sense for the rebels to have done it to get the US involved.

Assuming there is an "it" at all and it wasn't a store of chemical weapons in tunnels under Ghouta going off by accident or design.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Of course not.

Do you want the Geneva conventions on the treatment of prisoners e.g. not cutting their heads of with pen-knives, to remain in place and part of international law?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    MrJones said:

Cyclefree said:

Your argument is entirely bogus in the context of an ethno-sectarian civil war where acting against Assad also leads to an entirely foreseeable breach of Geneva conventions on a massive scale.

It only makes even the slightest bit of sense if you deliberately exclude the entirely foreseeable consequences of the action you are proposing.

This is why the regime change lobby won't admit the problem of our heart-eating allies on the ground. They know it blows their case out of the water.

That's a lot of words.

Cameron, then Kerry, then Obama made it clear that action would be limited and focused as a response to the use of chemical weapons. That seems sensible.

We're not allying ourselves with AQ or heart-eaters. We are saying to the perpetrator of a violation of international law: stop.

Look at it like a boxing match. They are fighting, fair enough. If one of the competitors started to bite, say, the ear of his opponent, the referee would step in.
  • Options
    tim said:

@LucyKafanov: Sweden becomes 1st European country to grant asylum to all #Syrian refugees who apply. They will get permanent resident status

I am sure Cameron will follow suit

Even convicted rapists ?
  • Options
    No bet. 5/1 is too short to bet on Yes, 1/10 gives too small a return for the risks involved in No.
  • Options
  • Options

Of course not.

Hardly fixated. The last two postings are the first time I have raised it as a possibility.

But you are still talking in platitudes.

Stop making vague statements and start explaining clearly what we should and could do to:

1: actually punish Assad (if that is your desire)

2:send a message to the rest of the world (which they will ignore since the rule seems to be you mustn't use chemical weapons unless you are our ally in which case we will help you target them)

and most importantly

3: do this without making the civil war on the ground far worse and incidentally killing lots more civilians with western bombs rather than Arabic chemical weapons.

Oh and if you could also try and make sure that when you punish Assad you don't do it so much that he actually loses and we end up with a virulently anti-western regime in Damascus that would be great.
    I'm sorry you think I'm talking in platitudes. Although you may want to re-read the 'conversation' you had with EiT earlier in that light.

As for your questions, I think I've answered them well enough in my earlier posts (which I won't reproduce because, apparently, they're BOOOOR-ING!). But it all comes down to making the consequences of using chemical weapons greater than the tactical advantages gained from using them. That can be by many means, including both diplomatic and military force.

Given you've accused me of vague statement when I've been fairly precise on a way forwards (unlike you), there seems little point in continuing this. I've set out my stall: you disagree. Neither of us want more deaths, increased usage of chemical weapons, or wider escalation in the region.

We just disagree on what is the best thing to do in a terrible situation.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Andy_JS said:

taffys said:

One of the reasons there's reluctance is it makes absolutely no sense for Assad to do it while at the same time it makes perfect sense for the rebels to have done it to get the US involved.

Assuming there is an "it" at all and it wasn't a store of chemical weapons in tunnels under Ghouta going off by accident or design.
    It may have made no sense from your viewpoint; but that does not necessarily match the Assad regime's viewpoint. I daresay the Hama massacres did not make sense from your viewpoint either, but they happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hama_massacre
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Hama_massacre
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Hama_massacre

As I have said passim, they may not think in the same way we do. What is logical to use might not be to them, and vice versa.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    A boost for Obama with Boehner's support, but a risky strategy as representatives tend to have a mind of their own and if it is voted down the House could be looking for a new speaker
  • Options

I'm sorry you think I'm talking in platitudes. Although you may want to re-read the 'conversation' you had with EiT earlier in that light.

As for your questions, I think I've answered them well enough in my earlier posts (which I won't reproduce because, apparently, they're BOOOOR-ING!). But it all comes down to making the consequences of using chemical weapons greater than the tactical advantages gained from using them. That can be by many means, including both diplomatic and military force.

Given you've accused me of vague statement when I've been fairly precise on a way forwards (unlike you), there seems little point in continuing this. I've set out my stall: you disagree. Neither of us want more deaths, increased usage of chemical weapons, or wider escalation in the region.

We just disagree on what is the best thing to do in a terrible situation.

No, you are still talking in generalisations. You have not been precise at all. You talk of diplomatic and military force without actually setting out what the military force will be, how it will be used and what the likely consequences of its use will be.

It seems to me you do actually understand that just dropping bombs or lobbing missiles at Syria will achieve nothing substantial so we come back to that same question again.

You say something must be done. What must be done? What actual military action would you take that would fulfil the criteria I set out of achieving your deterrent/punishment without making the civil war far worse, killing large numbers of innocent people and eventually leading to a victory for the rebels which, to my mind, is probably close to the very worst outcome we could have?

By the way I do not consider your input boring at all.
  • Options
    India raises British Prime Minister David Cameron's 'mistake' in Syria speech

NEW DELHI: British Prime Minister David Cameron mistakenly named India among countries which had concluded that Syrian regime forces were behind a chemical attack near Damascus, India's foreign ministry said Tuesday.

[...]

A spokesman for the British High Commission in New Delhi admitted the "innocent mistake" and attributed it to an oversight during hurried preparations for the emergency debate.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/India-raises-British-Prime-Minister-David-Camerons-mistake-in-Syria-speech/articleshow/22258914.cms
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited September 2013
    @TGOHF

Fortunately lots of wealthy Gulf States to look after them.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MrJones said:

Cyclefree said:

That's a lot of words.

Cameron, then Kerry, then Obama made it clear that action would be limited and focused as a response to the use of chemical weapons. That seems sensible.

We're not allying ourselves with AQ or heart-eaters. We are saying to the perpetrator of a violation of international law: stop.

Look at it like a boxing match. They are fighting, fair enough. If one of the competitors started to bite, say, the ear of his opponent, the referee would step in.
    Three points: we are not the referee. The West is not viewed as a neutral referee by anyone in the Middle East, however much we may like to think that's what we are.

Second: both sides are guilty of perpetrating war crimes. We are less bothered - apparently - by war crimes committed by those opposing Assad.

Finally, the US now seems to be moving to some sort of military action leading to regime change which is rather wider than a limited, focused response to use of a particular weapon. That risks being both incoherent and open-ended; alternatively the US does something; it achieves nothing and we shrug our shoulders and the killing - by non-chemical means - continues. What then has been achieved?
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104
    MrJones said:

Hold on: you are saying that you think the rebels stole chemical weapons protected by elite troops, and then assembled them using expert skills, and then gassed themselves in order to prove a point to the world?

And do you still expect anyone other than George Galloway to take you seriously after this?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited September 2013
    Excellent explanation by Horta-Osario (CEO of Lloyds Banking Group) on Sky News (Jeff Randall show) of the current retail banking market - household savings and mortgage lending - and the positive impact and continued need for government stimulus of the house purchase market.

Unfortunately, once Horta-Osario left the studio, the Sky 'experts' reverted to predicting a housing bubble.

One can only conclude that Sky commentators suffer from the same unwillingness to respond to facts as PB lefties.
  • Options
    Labour's reasoned amendment to the order for the second reading of the Transparency of Lobbying, Non-party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill negatived by 313-243. Division on the second reading of the Bill now underway.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2013
    @Nabavi

"It is very simple. Since the Geneva Protocol of 1925, mankind has been quite remarkably succesful in outlwawing, almost entirely, the use of chemical weapons to kill even troops, let alone civilians. There are just a handful of exceptions (mainly Saddam Hussein), but broadly speaking this is one compartment of Pandora's box which virtually every country in the world has agreed to keep firmly shut."

But its surely outdated. When chemical weapons were banned by agreement in 1925 nuclear bombs weren't invented. The notion that chemical weapons would have been banned and nuclear bombs that can maim and disfigure and kill up to 1,000,000 people in a one minute strike wouldn't had they existed at the time is quite simply ridiculous
  • Options
    I report the views of my other half on Syria:

"Barack Obama has been inspired by calling on Congress to vote. Now the congressmen and senators will rally behind him, wanting to support their country and president in foreign policy."

antifrank interjects: "but that's exactly what David Cameron did, and that didn't work for him."

"It was stupid of him ever to think that Ed Miliband would ever do anything other than oppose [long series of rude remarks about Ed Miliband redacted]."

I do not agree with my other half on Barack Obama's politicking. If he wants to bomb the hell out of Syria, he should not have sought the permission of Congress. It's a very dangerous gamble.
  • Options
    Stated position of Congressmen/women on Syria vote

YES/LEANING YES

Senate (14)

Bob Casey (D-Pa.) — Said Saturday that it’s in the U.S. interest to respond to most recent chemical attack.

Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) — Said Saturday a red line was crossed a long time ago and the U.S. “must respond.”

Chris Coons (D-Del.) — Said on MSNBC he’s “inclined” to support the president, but made clear that he is not a firm yes.

Diane Feinstein (D-Calif.) — Said before Obama’s request for congressional authorization that world could not let heinous attack pass without meaningful response.

Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) — Working closely with the White House on Syria.

Kay Hagan (D-N.C.) — Said chemical attack requires “a strong response that will prevent this from happening again.”

Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) — Isakson said he supports military action.

Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) — On Facebook, said he’d support “a narrow authorization for a missile strike targeting those responsible for using chemical weapons.”

Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) — Judiciary Committee chairman is revising the White House’s resolution.

John McCain (R-Ariz.) — Said it would be “catastrophic” if Congress rejects legislation.

Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) — Foreign Relations panel chairman is working on the measure.

Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) — Has called on the president to act before Congress votes.

Harry Reid (D-Nev.) — Senate majority leader backs the president.

Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) — The third-ranking Democrat in the Senate said he could support a limited strike.
    YES/LEANING YES

House (14)

John Boehner (R-Ohio) — Speaker to support military action in big boost for Obama.

Eric Cantor (R-Va.) — Boehner’s second-in-command also backs strike.

Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) — Tweeted Monday that the evidence of a chemical attack is strong.

Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) — Said on Twitter that he stands behind Obama’s call for a “targeted and limited response.”

Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) — The top Dem on the Foreign Affairs Committee backs the president.

Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) — Second-ranking House Dem tweeted Friday that he agreed with White House that use of chemical weapons by Syria was unacceptable.

Jim Langevin (D-R.I.) — Backs limited strike.

Sandy Levin (D-Mich.) — Has publicly backed the president.

Luke Messer (R-Ind.) — Before attending a classified briefing on Sunday, Messer said on MSNBC “I could support a strike on Syria.”

Jim Moran (D-Va.) — In a release, Moran said, “Now it is up to one of the most divisive, least productive Congresses in history to authorize an intervention and protect the credibility and viability of a U.S. response to Assad’s horrific crimes against humanity.”

Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) — House minority leader will be a key player on resolution.

Mike Rogers (R-Mich.) — Intelligence panel chairman predicts resolution will pass Congress.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) — Democatic National Committee chairwoman said on CNN tat the “world cannot let such a heinous attack pass without a meaningful response.”

Juan Vargas (D-Calif.) — Supports the president.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/319933-the-hills-syria-whip-list
  • Options
    NO/LEANING NO

Senate (4)

Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.) — "I do not believe we should become directly involved in the Syrian Civil War."

Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) — Ranking member of the Armed Services Committee disagrees with McCain, says cannot support action because of budget cuts.

Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) — Said U.S. "cannot afford another conflict that taxes our resources without achieving goals that advance American interests." Moran heads the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

Rand Paul (R-Ky.) — 2016 possible White House candidate has been a critic of military intervention in Syria.

NO/LEANING NO

House (31)

Robert Aderholt (R-Ala.) — Told 48 News he needs to be convinced there is a direct threat to the U.S., adding he doesn't believe that now.

Justin Amash (R-Mich.) — Firm no.

Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) — Tweeted that she's "adamantly opposed" to military action.

Michael Burgess (R-Texas) — Burgess says action is U.S. action in Syria would be very risky.

Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) — On Sept. 1, he told 41 Action News he would vote no if vote were that day.

Rick Crawford (R-Ark.) — Tweeted Saturday it was impreative that Obama explore alternatives.

Tom Cole (R-Okla.) — House deputy whip is leaning no.

Lloyd Doggett (D-Texas) — Said on MSNBC is leaning no.

Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) — Iraq war veteran is against military action in Syria.

Sam Farr (D-Calif.) — Recent remarks suggest he is leaning no.

Randy Forbes (R-Va.) — Said on Fox News on Sunday that taking mlitary action is not in nation's best interests.

Scott Garrett (R-N.J.) — Says the president has not yet convinced the public.

Chris Gibson (R-N.Y.) — Iraq war veteran said on Facebook he urges a no vote.

Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) — Grayson is rallying support against the measure.

Janice Hahn (D-Calif.) — Leaning no.

Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) — Said on Facebook that he agrees with constituents and sees no evidence of U.S. interests in Syrian war.

Walter Jones (R-N.C.) — Critic of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is a firm no.

Pete King (R-N.Y.) — Said on Fox News Sunday he is leaning no; he didn't believe Congress needed to vote on Syria.

Jack Kingston (R-Ga.) — Senate candidate told WSAV-TV he is leaning no.

Tom Marino (R-Pa.) — Marino is "absolutely opposed to any intervention in Syria at this time."

Jim McDermott (D-Wash.) — Wants answers to many questions.

Candice Miller (R-Mich.) — "...case has not been made."

Rick Nolan (D-Minn.) — Nolan is strongly opposed to a military strike.

Richard Nugent (R-Fla.) — Sent letter to Obama on Friday opposing military intervention.

Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.) — Reiterated his view that the mlitary draft must be reinstated before an attack on Syria.

Scott Rigell (R-Va.) — Leaning no.

Dana Rohrbacher (R-Calif.) — Said U.S. shouldn't try to police Syria.

Dennis Ross (R-Fla.) — After attending Sunday's briefing, said in a statement he doesn't support military force at this time.

Jose Serrano (D-N.Y.) — Citing Iraq and other reasons, Serrano says that "we must not get our country involved in another war."

Carol Shea-Porter (D-N.H.) — Tweeted Monday that she doesn't think intervention is the answer at the moment.

Michael Turner (R-Ohio) — He says he's a no until sequestration is lifted.

Frank Wolf (R-Va.) — Leaning no. In a letter to the president, Wolf states he has deep reservations about military intervention

Kevin Yoder (R-Kan.) — Said on Facebook an attack is "not warranted at this time."

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/319933-the-hills-syria-whip-list#ixzz2dr4lk6dn
    Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook
  • Options
    UNDECIDED/NOT CLEAR

Senate (10)

Ben Cardin (D-Md.)

John Cornyn (R-Texas) — The No. 2-ranking Senate Republican has called on Obama to address the nation on Syria.

Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) — Has called evidence "circumstantial."

Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) — Says there are "so many unanswered questions" during Sept. 3 CNBC interview. But also says if U.S. doesn't lead, world becomes a more dangerous place.

Angus King (I-Maine)

Carl Levin (D-Mich.) — Armed Services chairman said Obama made "strong case," but hasn't endorsed plan for military action.

Joe Manchin (D-W. Va.) — Manchin is actively seeking advice from West Virginia residents.

Ed Markey (D-Mass.)

Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — Wants more information on what needs to be done and what can be accomplished in Syria.

Chris Murphy (D-Conn.)

UNDECIDED/NOT CLEAR

House (17)

Bruce Braley (D-Iowa) — Told ABC5 News: "I'm waiting for the president to make the case on the possible use of force and the aftermath."

David Cicilline (D-R.I.) — Said on MSNBC he is "skeptical."

Jim Cooper (D-Tenn.) — Has not made up his mind but told WKRN-TV he is "extremely leery."

Scott DesJarlais (R-Tenn.)

Jim Himes (D-Conn.)

Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-Texas) — Believes that the international community must some take type of action against Syria. Her statement indicates she's more likely a yes than a no.

Bob Johnson (R-Ohio)

Dale Kildee (D-Mich.)

Buck McKeon (R-Calif.) — Armed Services panel chairman is undecided.

Richard Neal (D-Mass.) — Noted in his statement that he voted against the Iraq war.

Bill Owens (D-N.Y.) — Wants details on what the mission will be.

Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.) — Fourth-ranked GOP leader says she is skeptical.

Mike Quigley (D-Ill.)

Trey Radel (R-Fla.)

Martha Roby (R-Ala.)

Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) — "The president has some work to do to recover from his grave missteps in Syria. He needs to clearly demonstrate that the use of military force would strengthen America's security."

Tim Ryan (D-Ohio)

Bobby Scott (D-Va.) — Expressed concern about precedent the U.S. would be setting by approving an attack.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/319933-the-hills-syria-whip-list#ixzz2dr50jy3v
    Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim said:

@LucyKafanov: Sweden becomes 1st European country to grant asylum to all #Syrian refugees who apply. They will get permanent resident status

I am sure Cameron will follow suit

Even convicted rapists ?
    Now we know that the genius Master Strategist Osborne was behind the messed up recall of parliament (having worse judgement than William Hague -who thought that was possible) lets just hope for everyone's sakes he is kept away from all Strategising on the refugee issue
    Osborne is laughing his way to re-election, tim.

Not only is he content with both current GDP and manufacturing growth leading the G7 nations but he doesn't have to dip into his contingency pocket to fund overseas military adventures.

Master strategist indeed.

• Options

It is very simple. Since the Geneva Protocol of 1925, mankind has been quite remarkably succesful in outlwawing, almost entirely, the use of chemical weapons to kill even troops, let alone civilians.

Given that what is going on in Syria is not warfare within the meaning of the Protocol of 1925, you are talking through your hat.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

MrJones said:

Cyclefree said:

That's a lot of words.

Three points: we are not the referee. The West is not viewed as a neutral referee by anyone in the Middle East, however much we may like to think that's what we are.

Second: both sides are guilty of perpetrating war crimes. We are less bothered - apparently - by war crimes committed by those opposing Assad.

Finally, the US now seems to be moving to some sort of military action leading to regime change which is rather wider than a limited, focused response to use of a particular weapon. That risks being both incoherent and open-ended; alternatively the US does something; it achieves nothing and we shrug our shoulders and the killing - by non-chemical means - continues. What then has been achieved?

As to your points:

Well we are sort of the referee. If not us, the international community as channelled by the Security Council, then who? At the risk of a reverse Godwin, it is precisely because we were scrupulously neutral to belligerents, together with acquiescence to "Old Europe" interests, that Rwanda happened.

Secondly, yes. Both sides are but as imperfect as it is, we seem to have identified the use of chemical weapons by Assad. That is all we have, is not great but gives us some grounding to act.

And thirdly, yes, we shall see what happens when the US military genie is out of the bottle. I have no idea whether regime change is the plan or something short of it. I don't want regime change, I know we don't have the resources to change forcibly the political make-up of Syria, and I am extremely nervous.

But the principle of acting when proof of international law violations is uncovered? I'm on board.
  • Options
    MBoy said:

MrJones said:

Hold on: you are saying that you think the rebels stole chemical weapons protected by elite troops, and then assembled them using expert skills, and then gassed themselves in order to prove a point to the world?

And do you still expect anyone other than George Galloway to take you seriously after this?
    Elite troops? Expert skills? More Bond villain bollox. They'll be guarded by ninja-cyborgs next.

One part of the JIC "evidence"
    1) Assad has/had massive stockpiles of chemical weapons.
    2) The rebels couldn't possibly have chemical weapons.
    Just add
    3) The rebels control half the country
    to see how nonsensical that is.
  • Options
    Rubio has released this statement too, hardly effusive "I agree with the decision to seek Congressional approval before taking military action in Syria. And I believe Congress should return to Washington immediately and begin to debate this issue.

“The United States should only engage militarily when it is pursuing a clear and attainable national security goal. Military action taken simply to send a message or save face does not meet that standard.”
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

But the principle of acting when proof of international law violations is uncovered? I'm on board.

And which provision of international law has the Syrian Arab Republic contravened, and in any event, who judges what breaches of international law can be punished in principle but the Security Council? This is the rule of strongmen, not the rule of law.

• Options
    Transparency of Lobbying, Non-party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill read a second time, by 309-247.
  • Options
    Falluja 2.. I think we shoud dig up Thatchers corpse and give her a good kicking.. FFS grow up.
  • Options

MrJones said:

Andy_JS said:

taffys said:

It may have made no sense from your viewpoint; but that does not necessarily match the Assad regime's viewpoint. I daresay the Hama massacres did not make sense from your viewpoint either, but they happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hama_massacre
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Hama_massacre
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Hama_massacre

As I have said passim, they may not think in the same way we do. What is logical to use might not be to them, and vice versa.
    The Hama massacre is logical and Assad gassing a lot of rebels would be equally logical

*if*

it wasn't crossing a red-line that could get him attacked by the global superpower. That's the part that makes it literally unbelievably stupid.
This discussion has been closed.