Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Syria

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited September 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Syria

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Don't understand.
  • Options
    Can American generals not programme their VCRs [or whatever the modern equivalent is]?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Ishmael_X said:

Don't understand.

"Homeland" is the award winning US terrorist drama.

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Don't understand.

I think it means, the American military don't want to get involved, and would rather watch Homeland, the tv show, starring Britain's wonderful and ginger Damian Watcyn Lewis
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Tony McNulty @Tony_McNulty
    Although focus on Geneva II was encouraging, unhelpful that there were so many Labour BB voices wittering on about Iran,opens false critique
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited September 2013

Can American generals not programme their VCRs [or whatever the modern equivalent is]?

They are called TiVos over there
  • Options
    Nice one, Marf.

If I were a cartoonist, I'd be tempted to do a retake of the Low classic, with Cammo in the lead looking back to find just Hague, May, Osborne and Hammond following, Ed dressed as a schoolboy playing conkers with Douglas Alexander on the side, Jim Murphy looking on in astonishment, and other MPs whistling, smoking, and playing with their smartphones.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/standard-pictures/article7339947.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/Biting+wit:+A+Sir+David+Low+cartoon+from+1940
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Iran is not the solution to Ed's Syrian problem

Eventually the PB Kinnocks will grasp that
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Plato said:

Tony McNulty @Tony_McNulty
    Although focus on Geneva II was encouraging, unhelpful that there were so many Labour BB voices wittering on about Iran,opens false critique

Well it may be a valid point that there can be no resolution in regard to Syria, without Iran taking an active part. The US/france bombing targets in Syria will just make matters worse, with the possibility of a civil war going beyond Syrias borders. Imagine if Israel are dragged into this.

• Options
    Mr Hodges points out Mr Kenny's moderate credentials - and how many are in denial. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100234191/ed-miliband-cut-labours-links-to-the-unions-why-is-the-party-surprised-the-unions-have-hit-back/

"Paul Kenny is amongst the most moderate and astute leaders in the union movement. But he was never going to sit quietly back and say “OK, Ed, you want me to hand you my entire membership on a plate? No problem son. Here you go.”

...The problem is the Labour movement – its activists, its MPs, its fellow travellers – have yet again been in denial. Rather than face up the full implications of what Ed Miliband was proposing, and what the union response would inevitably be, they opted to stick their heads in the sand, and dream sweet dreams of life as One Nation ostriches.

The Labour Party is effectively bankrupt. There is an election less than two years away. Ed Miliband is faced by union leaders no longer prepared to play by the old rules of the game.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Ed Balls hilarious in the Guardian.

Booming services, manufacturing and construction does not mean that coalition economic policy is working. Oh dear me no....

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Scott_P said:

Certainly they need to have more intelligent shad ministers than Angela Eagle, who was destroyed on this point by Andrew Neil.

• Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Not long till the very enjoyable Homeland's on again. Interesting that The Walking Dead (perversely hidden away on 5*) also has British leads. It's a little depressing, though, that we have such good actors but all the best shows (The Walking Dead, Homeland, Game of Thrones) seem to be American.
  • Options

Not long till the very enjoyable Homeland's on again. Interesting that The Walking Dead (perversely hidden away on 5*) also has British leads. It's a little depressing, though, that we have such good actors but all the best shows (The Walking Dead, Homeland, Game of Thrones) seem to be American.

All brilliant shows, but the best TV show in the universe and it is British.

Sherlock
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I've looked it up, Sean.

The OECD are forecasting 0.93% growth next quarter and 0.8% for Q4.

I'd like to resign my previous certainty.

It'd be a lot closer to 1.5% if it included 2012Q4 rather than 2013Q4, but I can't see why?
  • Options

Sherlock
    Of which we get about 4 shows a decade if we're lucky...
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scott_P

'Eventually the PB Kinnocks will grasp that'

Your optimistic.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    edited September 2013
    Oh good another Syria thread.

Here's my considered opinion with implications for the geopolitical balance of power:

1a.*

* please see previous posts on the subject for opinion reference number index
  • Options
    Mr. T, really?

Mr. Eagles, Sherlock is categorically not better than Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    Quite.

"...Labour is trying to switch attention to living standards, with a blizzard of press releases and speeches. It is not hard to see why the party is doing this, although I doubt much or any of it will penetrate the public consciousness. Living standards have taken a huge hit since the recession, families are getting into more debt and it is very tough for a lot of people, but the party that proclaimed the end of boom and bust – and predicated its policies on the boom going on for ever – is not in the best place to complain about the long-term consequences of the crash.

I am sure those pushing the new line from Labour are sincere, but it sounds like displacement activity because the party can no longer say GDP growth is absent." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100234165/growth-gives-labour-an-enormous-headache/
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

Certainly they need to have more intelligent shad ministers than Angela Eagle, who was destroyed on this point by Andrew Neil.

After the Daily Politics, Ms Eagle's latest car crash is currently taking place on WATO.....
  • Options
    tim said:

@paulwaugh: No.10 Tory spksman re Jesse Norman:"Jesse has done a very good job on the policy board but didn't support the Govt on a 3 line whip"

Neither did Justine Greening, she has to go doesn't she?

No.

The circumstances are completely different as any reasonable Cheshire farmer would acknowledge.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2013

Sherlock
    Of which we get about 4 shows a decade if we're lucky...
    True enough, however I quite enjoy the US TV show ‘Elementary’ starring another Brit, Johnny Lee Miller. A modern twist on the Sherlock Holmes theme with Lucy Liu as Dr Watson. –‘ Sherlock’ it’s not, but it does more than adequately fill the void between gaps.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Here's my considered opinion with implications for the geopolitical balance of power:

1a.*

The next scheduled thread is about Syria as well.

If it is any consolation I'm writing a thread for the morning that is currently titled

"Is Ed about to achieve what Thatcher couldn't achieve. Sorching Labour from the face of the Earth with his Falkirk response?"

• Options
    edited September 2013

Mr. T, really?

You were wrong this morning and you're wrong now.

You couldn't be any more wronger if you're name was Wrong Wrongy Wrongess. Professor of Wrongness at Wrongness College, The University of Oxford Wrong
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Millibands perfomance at PMQs really highlighted his problem following last weeks no vote. He really now has nothing of substance to say. What he really wanted last week was a narrow Government win as that would have put him in a good place politically.The no vote, despite all the nonsense last week that it was a disaster for Cameron, is actually worse for Milliband. It puts him in a really weird position as demonstrated by his very odd line of questioning at PMQs. He gambled, probably due to the splits in his party, that voting no was best, (although I think judging by the labour motion he really wanted to vote yes), that the bill would pass and he could say he opposed it due to lack of evidence, and when the evidence came in he could then agree with the Governments position. Camerons stance that Parliament has spoken and it will not be bought back before parliament has left Ed in no mans land and he is now trying to construct a policy around Iran??!! Cameron has it easy in contrast, he argued the case to consider military action and parliament because of the block labour vote, decided not to back him. He can just keep saying that. He has also avoided the unpopularity with the public of military action which would probably had a far bigger impact than losing a commons vote.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

After the Daily Politics, Ms Eagle's latest car crash is currently taking place on WATO.....
    I trust you saw this?

RT @jonboyes: Maria Eagle wants to know what's going on between Sunny & Shia. They got divorced. I thought everybody knew that? #PMQs < LOL
  • Options

Mr. T, really?

You couldn't be any more wronger if you're name was Wrong Wrongy Wrogness. Professor of Wrogness at Wrognessn College, The University of Oxford Wrong
    You are ghost of Woy Jenkins and I claim Glasgow Hillhead.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, you're wronger than the Thirteenth Earl of Wrongcaster in the County of Wrongshire, the 100th winner of the Annual Mister Wrong Competition.
  • Options

I missed PMQs but did Ed really advocate closer relations with Iran?
  • Options
    Oh dear, Ms Eagle's staying on to discuss Union funding.....she's not having the best of days.....
  • Options

In my experience, Obitus, nobody under the age of fourty can programme a VCR (or equivalent.)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

1a.*

If it is any consolation I'm writing a thread for the morning that is currently titled

"Is Ed about to achieve what Thatcher couldn't achieve. Sorching Labour from the face of the Earth with his Falkirk response?"

I missed PMQs. Did the comeback begin?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Mr. T, really?

You couldn't be any more wronger if you're name was Wrong Wrongy Wrogness. Professor of Wrogness at Wrognessn College, The University of Oxford Wrong
    You are ghost of Woy Jenkins and I claim Glasgow Hillhead.

I leave without Rancour

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Officer: Steiner...
  • Options
    Dr. Spyn, I'm really glad I got to see Downfall (which is a very good film, perhaps a trifle overlong) before that meme got going.
  • Options
    taffys said:

It wasn't so much Ed - tho he did - it was several Labour backbenchers - which is either an enormous coincidence....
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Today's PMQs should've been cancelled - was anything said of any interest whatsoever? But Dave came out of it very well - it appears he's finally started listening to the advisers who tell him to stop being such an arrogant wanker. If he can keep this up, maybe the polls won't be looking so bad in a few months' time.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you've missed (I think) a critical opportunity for your awful 80s music puns: the first King of Egypt was King Aha!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23947820
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    On a quieter day, the question about the Lib Dems "blackmailing" the Tories by, er, following the coalition agreement and party policy by not signing up to Trident, would have got some coverage. Labour's travails over Syria and the Unions are airbrushing coalition tensions out of any coverage. Not entirely to their advantage.
  • Options

taffys said:

It wasn't so much Ed - tho he did - it was several Labour backbenchers - which is either an enormous coincidence....
    More like "Why don't we approach the Syria problem via Iran"/"Win Iran over first"/"engage with Iran more fully on this issue".

For a repeated theme it seemed a bit strange but the whole thing wasn't particularly confrontational, lots of stressing of share principles.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Labour wants to be friends with the new Iranian President Hassan Rouhani,this man stated after the Iran student protest of 1999 -

After Iran student protests, July 1999 he, as secretary of Supreme National Security Council, stated in a pro-government rally that "At dusk yesterday we received a decisive revolutionary order to crush mercilessly and monumentally any move of these opportunist elements wherever it may occur. From today our people shall witness how in the arena our law enforcement force . . . shall deal with these opportunists and riotous elements, if they simply dare to show their faces."[45] and led the crackdown.[46
  • Options
    @TSE, just want to say cracking editorial job on your recent threads. Only thing I'm wondering is how come your work hasn't noticed the extra time you have been spending in these parts!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

fpt

We've already had 0.7% growth in Q2, now we're talking 1% growth in Q3, "adding up" to 1.7% growth in just six months, so how does that = the predicted 1.5% growth in 2013?

I know there is an answer (I think) - GDP is calculated in some foolish and devious way, can a pb brainiac explain it to me?

I learned this at Economics A Level but I done forgot.

It's so they can say they exceeded growth expectations when it comes in higher.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Mr. Eagles, you've missed (I think) a critical opportunity for your awful 80s music puns: the first King of Egypt was King Aha!

Ah so you've noticed my subtle pop music references ?

Very few people notice them because of their subtleness.

• Options

@TSE, just want to say cracking editorial job on your recent threads. Only thing I'm wondering is how come your work hasn't noticed the extra time you have been spending in these parts!

Thanks.

I'm on delayed paternity leave last week and this week.
  • Options

Did he walk like an Egyptian?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,442
    Ariel Castro found dead in cell:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23955954
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Going to laugh like a drain if in the end its Osborne that delivers a Conservative majority at the next GE! Ed Balls criticism that Osborne was going too far, too fast on the economy is yet again going to come back and kick him where it hurts on the economic credibility stakes.

Evening Standard - Economic boost as services ‘blow the doors off’

"Britain’s recovery accelerated over the summer and the dominant services sector “blew the doors off” in August with its fastest growth for more than six years, economists said today."
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    SeanT said:

fpt

We've already had 0.7% growth in Q2, now we're talking 1% growth in Q3, "adding up" to 1.7% growth in just six months, so how does that = the predicted 1.5% growth in 2013?

I know there is an answer (I think) - GDP is calculated in some foolish and devious way, can a pb brainiac explain it to me?

We had a lengthy discussion about this at the weekend and there seemed no simple answer. It seemed clear that the quarterly GDP figures and the annual ones are calculated on a different basis with a different GDP deflator. The quarterly figures are not just nominal but seem more "nominal" than the figures used for the annual figure.

It was also said by someone cleverer than me that there is a drag effect on the annual GDP figure. So the fact that there was little to no growth last year somehow makes the figure for this year lower than it otherwise would have been. I didn't really understand this but it seems to be right. Must be something to do with the base from which the growth is calculated. Or something.

The consequence is that the higher growth figures of this year will also make the growth figures of next year look even higher even if the quarterly growth figures are similar. I suggested that next year's growth was likely to exceed 3% and rcs1000 suggested even 4% is possible.

• Options

SeanT said:

fpt

It's so they can say they exceeded growth expectations when it comes in higher.
    Why would the OECD want to get it wrong? They specialise in forecasting.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Nice one Marf. I like it that you caught on to the fact that American uniforms are getting more Ruritanian by the week.
  • Options
    Daily Mail being completely out of touch by saying that £8000 equals "pennilessness":

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2410711/Frank-Carson-penniless-died-Comic-just-8-000-despite-performing-shortly-death.html
  • Options
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 2m
    AFP: Syrian minister says Syria will not give in 'even if there is World War III'

Brilliant...sigh
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited September 2013
    SeanT said:

Grandiose said:

I've looked it up, Sean.

The OECD are forecasting 0.93% growth next quarter and 0.8% for Q4.

I'd like to resign my previous certainty.

It'd be a lot closer to 1.5% if it included 2012Q4 rather than 2013Q4, but I can't see why?

Certainly doesn't make sense if it's just a question of adding together quarters. On present predictions we will get 0.3 + 0.7 + 0.9 + 0.8 (being conservative) which = 2.7%, which is above trend and almost twice the OECD prediction for the year.

So there must be a catch, and my failing brain tells me that there is, only I can't remember what.
    I worked this out earlier in the week thanks to @geoffw

The annual rate of growth of GDP is worked out by comparing the amount of GDP in one year with the previous year. If you have a situation where growth was flat - as in 2012 - and then growth resumes the next year [2013], the annual growth rate will be less than the sum of the quarterly growth rates.

Imagine that GDP in each quarter of 2012 was 100 GDP units, and the quarterly growth rate in each quarter of 2013 is 1%. The GDP in 2013 will be 100*1.01 + 100*1.01*1.01 + ... ~ 101 + 102 + 103 + 104 = 410.

The growth rate is 410/400 = 1.025 = 2.5% [not the 4% you expect from adding the quarterly figures together]

What this also means is that if there is no growth in 2014 at all, but growth in 2013 follows the OECD predictions, the annual growth rate in 2014 will be greater than zero, because even if Q1 2014 is the same as Q4 2013 it would be greater than Q1 2013.
  • Options
    currystar said:

Millibands perfomance at PMQs really highlighted his problem following last weeks no vote. He really now has nothing of substance to say. What he really wanted last week was a narrow Government win as that would have put him in a good place politically.The no vote, despite all the nonsense last week that it was a disaster for Cameron, is actually worse for Milliband. It puts him in a really weird position as demonstrated by his very odd line of questioning at PMQs. He gambled, probably due to the splits in his party, that voting no was best, (although I think judging by the labour motion he really wanted to vote yes), that the bill would pass and he could say he opposed it due to lack of evidence, and when the evidence came in he could then agree with the Governments position. Camerons stance that Parliament has spoken and it will not be bought back before parliament has left Ed in no mans land and he is now trying to construct a policy around Iran??!! Cameron has it easy in contrast, he argued the case to consider military action and parliament because of the block labour vote, decided not to back him. He can just keep saying that. He has also avoided the unpopularity with the public of military action which would probably had a far bigger impact than losing a commons vote.

Short version: Cameron is a very lucky boy and Ed is not.
  • Options
    BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 52s
    "My credibility isn't on the line, the whole international community's credibility is on the line" - Obama on #Syria http://bbc.in/1cFHbrl

IE Ed, you're crap, says Barry...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Hmm, not quite

His family were left with just £8,013 but once debts and expenses were paid his will states that he died penniless as ‘the net value of such estate is nil’.

But look at what follows...

But his will revealed Carson had also been shrewd, leaving a second estate in Spain which covered a third property.

In the 2010 document he said: ‘This does not apply to my property in Spain which is dealt with under the terms of a will made in accordance with the laws of that country.’

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Not all good news on the economy - a law firm has shut down...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10286094/Law-firm-shut-down-after-top-judges-complaint-over-untruthful-asylum-case.html

"A law firm has been closed down after one of the country’s most senior judges asked regulators to investigate its last-minute bids to block the deportation of failed asylum seekers."
  • Options
    tim said:

"My credibility isn't on the line, the whole international community's credibility is on the line" - Obama on #Syria http://bbc.in/1cFHbrl

Dave could put it back on the table, but he's too frit
    happy to leave Ed in his self-dug hole.......

• Options
    tim said:

Dave could put it back on the table, but he's too frit
    "Frit" is the new line is it?

Cameron has a position where he argued persuasively for intervention but was blocked by Ed and some disloyal colleagues.

So he gets the kudos for being willing to act and do the right thing.

Ed gets the blame for the adverse consequences of being stupid enough to vote against a government motion that was very similar to his for party political reasons thereby damaging our relationship with America.

Ed has the worry of resignations if he tries to do anything positive about it.

Cameron has avoided a bullet since he is now in line with UK public opinion who really don't want to get involved and it is not his fault.

Ed risks making himself look even more ridiculous if he tries to change this.

Every time Ed begs the government to get himself off the hook he impaled himself on it gets funnier. Why change a good thing?

Cameron is a seriously lucky boy and Ed isn't. 2% think Ed is a natural leader. And that the moon is made of cheese. And that Elvis lives there.

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited September 2013
    What a surprise. It turns out that "responsibility to protect" has an inferior status to the Charter of the United Nations.[1] Military intervention in Syria save where authorised by the Charter is unlawful, and an act of aggression, which is itself a crime under customary international law according to most authorities on the subject. Go figure warmongers.
  • Options
    ...Frit is written all over Ed's face..and he has reason to be..
  • Options
    Ha ha Milliband thought Cameron would win by a small margin and he could play the anti-war card with political gain without dealing with any of the consequences. Now he looks like a turnip pleading to the Iranians.

Still don't know why we should be getting involved since both sides seem as bad as each other. I don't think the rebels are going to create a stable democracy if they win the civil war somehow.
  • Options

What a surprise. It turns out that "responsibility to protect" has an inferior status to the Charter of the United Nations.[1] Military intervention in Syria save where authorised by the Charter is unlawful, and an act of aggression, which is itself a crime under customary international law according to most authorities on the subject. Go figure warmongers.

"Some argue that international law provides for a “responsibility to protect” that allows states to intervene during humanitarian disasters, without Security Council authorization. They point to NATO’s 1999 intervention in Kosovo. But in 2009 the United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, rejected this view, finding that “the responsibility to protect does not alter, indeed it reinforces, the legal obligations of Member States to refrain from the use of force except in conformity with the Charter,” a position he affirmed on Tuesday. (The Independent International Commission on Kosovo found that the intervention was “illegal but legitimate.”)

Others say it is legalistic, even naïve, to rely on the United Nations Charter, which has been breached countless times. What is one more, especially when the alternative is the slaughter of innocents? But all of these breaches add up — and each one makes it harder to hold others to the rules. If we follow Kosovo and Iraq with Syria, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to stop others from a similar use of force down the line." NYT)

The Kosovo example is startling.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    Cameron is PM and he is respecting the vote in the HOC...a vote which he readily admits to losing..
    Not cowardly to call someone porcine from a cellar in Liverpool and hiding behind an avatar name I suppose... such courage
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidL

He's PM, he commands a majority, but he's too frightened to risk his job.
    Lets not hear anymore about the Surian people from this PM, he's done nothing while the death toll mounted and now we see what he's made of, a coward.

As for arguing his case, not really, he couldn't even be arsed getting ministers to vote

SPOOF alarm just gone off at scrapheap towers... more revs on that delivery than a Swanny offie.
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidL

Lets not hear anymore about the Surian people from this PM, he's done nothing while the death toll mounted and now we see what he's made of, a coward.

As for arguing his case, not really, he couldn't even be arsed getting ministers to vote

He's a coward for losing a vote?

What does that make Ed Milliband who clearly wanted to vote for the measure but was too scared of pressure from his shadow cabinet?
  • Options

Good point. Let's parachute you into Damascus with a copy of Modern Law Review to explain it all.

As you observed eloquently yesterday, it is the strongmen who make the law.

And as I pointed out, we are the strongmen. Thank goodness. And we are making the law in this case. We being the UN more or less.
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidL

See how delicious the wriggling is? Each of those ministers was responsible for their own vote as was Cameron, as was Miliband.

I have never believed there was any chance that his leadership would come under serious questioning but he has made a major mistake. Add on to his mistakes with the Unions about Falkirk and his lack of natural supporters and for the first time you begin to wonder. I think he is one really bad poll away from a genuine crisis.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2013
    @CopperSulphate – “Milliband thought Cameron would win by a small margin and he could play the anti-war card with political gain without dealing with any of the consequences.”

So it would appear. - Presumably Leaders of the Opposition are at times in dialogue with world leaders? – I wonder how the US, Germany and France, now view engaging with such a man, or in the future, would it just be politely ignored?
  • Options
    Send for Yvette!!!

Immediately.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

@DavidL

What does that make Ed Milliband who clearly wanted to vote for the measure but was too scared of pressure from his shadow cabinet?
    He lost the vote because his operation was incompetent and he'd listened to Osborne rather than Hague on recalling Parliament

But it's his choice to leave the matter ther.
    No more posing from Sam Cam in a tent please while her husband is too cowardly to hold a vote because he can't rely on his own side
    You are a funny one tim.

He lost the vote because the opposition voted against the bill.

The rest is details. The reason you're having a conniption fit about it is because you of all people get this. And are understandably disappointed.

Suck it up and move on to Help to Buy or something. We'll be right there with you.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    tim has a weird sense of the word.. coward..
    Must be with hiding in the cellar all day
  • Options
    You'd have stood no chance of a UN resolution before this attack, no chance of US support, no chance of French support.

Tim therefore must sure disagree with Ed Miliband's note of caution. Or indeed any argument that says intervention without mandate would be illegal.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    So in the last week Ed has screwed up the Syria vote, lost the economic argument and pissed off his funders in the GMB. What a start to a Parliamentary session.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @CopperSulphate

'What does that make Ed Milliband who clearly wanted to vote for the measure but was too scared of pressure from his shadow cabinet?'

A pathetic patsy.
  • Options
    @Grandiose
    The argument said to justify intervention in Iraq was that UNSC resolution 1441 had revived the authorisation of force under earlier resolutions (678, 687 etc.), without the need for a second resolution in 2002/2003. It was not that intervention in Iraq could be justified on humanitarian grounds. It may be an argument which many have trenchantly disagreed with, including the late Lord Bingham of Cornhill (see The Rule of Law, (London, 2010)), but it was an arguable view in any event.

Kosovo was a different matter altogether. Nevertheless, if a breach of international law can make new international law, even if it is done with good intentions and has beneficial results, then international law is not a law at all, and any action done by any state is lawful.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2013

So in the last week Ed has screwed up the Syria vote, lost the economic argument and pissed off his funders in the GMB. What a start to a Parliamentary session.

Don't forget his natural leader rating at 2%, the worst ever.

• Options
    Rather an interesting Q&A with Toby Young over at the DT http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100234055/toby-young-qa/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Toby Young:
    Weirdly, setting up a free school. For 25 years I was a self-promoting media tart and much loved with it. The moment I tried to do anything that had any redeeming social value, I became an instant pariah.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

@DavidL

He lost the vote because his operation was incompetent and he'd listened to Osborne rather than Hague on recalling Parliament

But it's his choice to leave the matter ther.
    No more posing from Sam Cam in a tent please while her husband is too cowardly to hold a vote because he can't rely on his own side
    So losing the vote had nothing whatsoever to do with Labour voting against it?
  • Options

Don't forget his natural leader rating at 2%, the worst ever.

Things can only get better * cough cough *
  • Options
    tim said:

@TelePolitics: Blog: Reshuffle: If Jesse Norman has to go, then so do a number of ministers http://t.co/EWvCY0YZyR by @benedictbrogan

Betting post if you think Dave has a spine

Irrespective of the strength of his spine, I'm not sure there are any betting implications, are there? Justine Greening is (I think) the only Cabinet minister who missed the vote without the whips' permission, and Dave seems to have accepted that this was a genuine mistake. I suspect Ken Clarke could be on the way out (he's been fairly invisible recently anyway), but he's not in the Cabinet so we can't bet on that. Various more junior ministers may get demoted or sacked, but equally I don't know of any way of betting on that.
  • Options
    So now that the GMB have cut £1m off labour's budget will the Co-op bank review it's lending facilities ? Any SME in this position would find it's facility chopped PDQ.
  • Options
    Rather an interesting Q&A with Toby Young

One of the most interesting things was the list of Tobe's previous articles, which included one calling the Syria vote the 'worst day of Cam's premiership' - massive humiliation etc.

It was one of many, but the commentariat collectively lost its marbles that day, it seems to me.

• Options
    Leadership ratings - among VI, Cameron vs Miliband:

Sticks to what he believes in:+23
    Charismatic: +22
    Decisive: +18
    Strong: +26
    A natural leader: +21
    Honest: +3
    Good in a crisis: +15
    In touch with the concerns of ordinary people: -27
  • Options
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 11m
    French Prime Minister says no action over #Syria chemical weapons use would send negative message over Iran's nuclear programme

Great time for labour to cosy up to Iran then,,,,
  • Options
    taffys said:

Rather an interesting Q&A with Toby Young

One of the most interesting things was the list of Tobe's previous articles, which included one calling the Syria vote the 'worst day of Cam's premiership' - massive humiliation etc.

It was one of many, but the commentariat collectively lost its marbles that day, it seems to me.

Yup. there being little else to report they went over the top and now look a tad daft.
  • Options

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 11m
    French Prime Minister says no action over #Syria chemical weapons use would send negative message over Iran's nuclear programme

Great time for labour to cosy up to Iran then,,,,

LOL, all we need now is Salmond claiming he can square the whole thing off because the Iranian Prez once studied in Glasgow.
  • Options
    Hopi again shows why he's the thinking man's lefty:

http://hopisen.com/2013/unintended-consequences/
  • Options
    Australian version of PB:

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/
  • Options
    tim said:

I assume by that that you think the Lobbying bill is dross?
    Well, I think Hopi is right on his points about the Labour rule-change, but, yes, I think the whole idea of the Bill (so beloved of the left) is dross. The reason is not just bad drafting, it's that the concept is doomed from the start. I don't think it's possible to distinguish 'good' lobbying from 'bad' lobbying, and I don't even think that in principle one should try to: it's freedom of speech, innit? If Lord Sainsbury were to want to take out a full page ad in the Nottingham Post saying 'Vote for Nick Palmer, he's a great guy', then that would fine by me.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    tim said:

I assume by that that you think the Lobbying bill is dross?
    The vast majority of that blog is about the unintended consequences of a motion before Laabour Conference.

The definition of intent - or rather the focus on "effect" rather than on "intent" - in the lobbying bill is an issue. One hopes that this will be reviewed since the bill does appear to be very draconian in its scope - Archbishop Cranmer is very good on this.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:
    that should please tim.

The guy doing the most posts on the first thread is called Socrates. ;-)

• Options

Thanks.

I'm on delayed paternity leave last week and this week.

Delayed congratulations! Just hope you're getting some sleep...
  • Options
    The lobbying bill is about stopping trade unions from running phone banks and GOTV operations in marginal constituencies without even counting towards Labour's spending limits. The rest is fairly unconvincing camoflage.

If more unions follow the GMB it may not even be necessary.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JBeattieMirror: Senior Labour figure has described Miliband & McCluskey as "Thelma and Louise". "They've got to the cliff edge and driven off."
This discussion has been closed.