Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest Brexit negotiations cartoon

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,190
    It is hard to see what all the game playing and foot dragging over so many months have achieved, unless the political climate now is such that the hard leavers will meekly accept what they would have utterly rejected six months ago. In every other respect this deal could have been secured very quickly towards the beginning of this year. And the NI question remains as intractable as ever, kicked into long grass.

It is good that HMG has finally come to understand that any deal is better than no deal, and the prospect of a cliff edge departure is receding. It does however weaken the case for the EU agreeing to suspend the whole process, since they now have less to gain by the UK remaining.

Anyone know what this extract actually means? - "A principle of evidential flexibility will apply, enabling competent authorities to exercise discretion in favour of he applicant where appropriate."
  • Mortimer said:

What a fanatic morning to be a PBer.

We're all leavers now.

Etc etc.

Well done Mrs May.

Yep, she’s played a blinder. It’s taken her a fair few months, but she’s managed to convince Leavers they’ve won a great victory by agreeing to all the EU’s red lines. We’re leaving in name only. Rejoice!!!

What's the point in Leaving In Name Only.

On a personal level, I see very little point. But we voted to leave, so symbolically we must.

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,831
    Seems like good news.

No deal is off the table.

The rabid wing of the Tory party are seemingly on board the good ship soft Brexit.

Farage is a marginal figure, yesterday's man.

However, let's not get too excited. All we've agreed is the conditions upon which we can leave, and frankly it's all on the EU's terms.

Clearer than ever that the last 12 months have really been about the Tory party negotiating within itself.

• Hunt’s delusions again; there’s no such thing as a good Brexit!

But there is such a thing as a least bad one.

• ‪Well if he’s not happy then I’m chuffed to buggery. ‬

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/939033370834583553

It must be good as he’s unhappy. Anything which makes him happy is generally bad news.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Clearly Corbyn is right on one thing. The cuts to benefits have gone too far. I have a disabled client who receives the highest level of PIP, but they have stopped his other benefits (pending appeal) WTF is going on, these people are fecking bonkers. Meanwhile my client is really worried, quite naturally.
    I cannot vote Tory until they start listening, which clearly no one is.
  • A little diversion on that word many of us have been looking up the spelling of:

https://ianjamesparsley.wordpress.com/2017/12/08/why-taoiseach-but-not-bundeskanzler/
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,752

Seems like good news.

No deal is off the table.

The rabid wing of the Tory party are seemingly on board the good ship soft Brexit.

Farage is a marginal figure, yesterday's man.

However, let's not get too excited. All we've agreed is the conditions upon which we can leave, and frankly it's all on the EU's terms.

Clearer than ever that the last 12 months have really been about the Tory party negotiating within itself.

really

I'd have said the last 12 months have been about the british establishment refusing to try and understand why they lost

that still remains the toxic legacy of the vote
  • It's hilarious on here this morning watching the Remainers flail around grasping for a new line of attack on the Government.

I've actually read the agreement and I'm surprised at how reasonable and practical it is. The EU has also compromised in a number of areas.

So much bollocks is talked on here.

The question is if this is reasonable and practical why has Her Majesty's Government denounced it as an option on every occasion for the last year? Yes, they will claim success in that we are "leaving" the EEA and CU, but we're keeping all of their rules and regulations which we have just committed to be fully compliant with for an open ended period.

And having fanned the flames that we HAVE to stop free movement as that's what people supposedly voted for or it's a BETRAYAL how will she now sell not ending free movement to those people?
  • Sean_F said:

So. We have a solution to how we leave the EU, Single Market and Customs Union without the economy ending event of leaving the Single Market and Customs Union.

So we are "leaving". Not formally a member. But maintaining "full alignment with the rules" of the Single Market and Customs Union. Rules like no external trade deals. Rules like free movement.

Once the EUphoria (see what I did there...) dies away, expect a choice of two options.
    1. The nutters point to the fact that we aren't leaving anything in practice, have bent over on every red line and have achieved nothing and say "this is bollocks". May can't carry the deal in her own party and is replaced by Moggmentum
    2. Everyone rallies round to insist that black really is white and that by not ending free movement we have ended free movement. Until in 2022 the voters turn around and say "this is bollocks" and once again vote for a 3rd time lucky Farage led UKIP in their millions

I thought that was pretty much the arrangement you wanted.
    It is. I'm very happy for the country. As someone who negotiates for a living I remain greatly amused by our absolute capitulation on every one of our red lines. But you have to admit it will be fascinating to see the response from the Tories who allegedly were backed up by millions of foaming dog fever Brexiteers. Apparently if we don't end free movement it's betrayal.

We haven't ended free movement.
    I agree with you here and your longer post on this issue. My dad is a Leaver and was absolutely desperate for a Hard Brexit/no deal. He voted to leave purely on the immigration issue (like a lot of Leavers, I suspect). He won’t be very happy at all.

Ah well, I’m glad Soft Brexit won out in the end!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    edited December 2017

Yep - it’s the Keir Starmer solution.

Even if you were right - no-one much will know, because Labour has not been heard in this Brexit process. Mostly because Labour has a leader who talks out of both sides of his mouth on the EU.

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    May supporters last week: Hard Brexit is brilliant, I love the WTO
    May supporters today: I have always been in favour of Soft Brexit.
  • Alistair said:

May supporters last week: Hard Brexit is brilliant, I love the WTO
    May supporters today: I have always been in favour of Soft Brexit.

LOL, +1.
  • Yep - it’s the Keir Starmer solution.

Even if you were right - no-one much will know, because Labour has not been heard in this Brexit process. Mostly because Labour has a leader who talks out of both sides of his mouth on the EU.

Who cares? We’re leaving in name only!

• Sean_F said:

So. We have a solution to how we leave the EU, Single Market and Customs Union without the economy ending event of leaving the Single Market and Customs Union.

So we are "leaving". Not formally a member. But maintaining "full alignment with the rules" of the Single Market and Customs Union. Rules like no external trade deals. Rules like free movement.

Once the EUphoria (see what I did there...) dies away, expect a choice of two options.
    1. The nutters point to the fact that we aren't leaving anything in practice, have bent over on every red line and have achieved nothing and say "this is bollocks". May can't carry the deal in her own party and is replaced by Moggmentum
    2. Everyone rallies round to insist that black really is white and that by not ending free movement we have ended free movement. Until in 2022 the voters turn around and say "this is bollocks" and once again vote for a 3rd time lucky Farage led UKIP in their millions

It is. I'm very happy for the country. As someone who negotiates for a living I remain greatly amused by our absolute capitulation on every one of our red lines. But you have to admit it will be fascinating to see the response from the Tories who allegedly were backed up by millions of foaming dog fever Brexiteers. Apparently if we don't end free movement it's betrayal.

I agree with you here and your longer post on this issue. My dad is a Leaver and was absolutely desperate for a Hard Brexit/no deal. He voted to leave purely on the immigration issue (like a lot of Leavers, I suspect). He won’t be very happy at all.

I've had a scan over the Daily Blaskshirt comments section. They are furious.

Apparently they were promised that leave means leave. Now that leave means not leave they want a May-shaped head on a spike.

The Tory party will get the blame for this. 12 months of vacuous hot air and red lines not only drawn but Boris flicking v-sign at Europe from behind them. Then in the end we capitulate on everything and the same ministers will now try and tell the voters they are stupid and don't understand.

Marvellous!
  • The only way citizens’ rights can be changed is for the entire Withdrawal Act to be repealed. That’s a pretty big guarantee, but it is a compromise. The EU’s red line was never the ECJ per se, it was guaranteeing rights. It’s got what it wanted.

we're heading towards what the UK wanted in 1973 a trading relationship but no integration

given the latest pronouncements of this week re USE thats quite an achievement
  • Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Observer, if we are leaving in name only, I fear the current divisions will only worsen.

Anyway, today I've got a short walk (nothing like a Jessopian sojourn) but it's typical that the only time this winter I've got one (without the hound) there's ice on the driveway and road, and it's about as warm and fuzzy as sharing a coffin with a frost giant.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Where do Labour go from here? Party of full Remain?

Lol.

Might even lead to defections of MPs, and would probably mean 5 Southern seats are gained at the expense of 45 midland/northern seats.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,180

Yep, so a case brought in Year 8 in the UK will go through first instance, appeal and Supreme Court, and can then go to the ECJ. That’s a long process.

About two cases a year:

The UK courts have not asked the ECJ for help very often, compared with other member states

Negotiators are still locked in a stalemate over the role of the ECJ in enforcing citizens’ rights after Brexit. One point of clash is what the withdrawal agreement, the future partnership agreement and UK law should say about how the UK courts are to regard post-Brexit ECJ case law. Another is whether the UK Supreme Court should be obliged to refer questions of EU law on citizens’ rights to the ECJ after Brexit, as it is now.

Negotiators on both sides should be aware that the UK courts have not made references to the ECJ particularly often in recent years. The number of references from UK courts is average compared with other member states’. Around two references a year concern citizens’ rights.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/IfG_Brexit_ECJ_v10FINAL web.pdf
    Yes that's right we are going to be only a little bit pregnant.
    Now you're posting LEAVE.EU rubbish? Wow...
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,768
    When's Theresa The Appeaser returning to the UK with her piece of paper?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Scott_P said:

@mattholehouse: STORY: ECJ to have role in monitoring citizens' rights for eight years.

Cases brought within eight years. So that means the ECJ could be hearing cases into the 2030s. The key point is that citizens’ rights in the UK will be enshrined in the UK legislation implementing the overall Treaty that is finally agreed, so the only way they can be changed is for the entire Treaty legislation to be repealed. Bottom line: EU citizens in the UK will continue to have more rights in certain areas than UK citizens!

Scott_P said:

@mattholehouse: STORY: ECJ to have role in monitoring citizens' rights for eight years.

Cases brought within eight years. So that means the ECJ could be hearing cases into the 2030s. The key point is that citizens’ rights in the UK will be enshrined in the UK legislation implementing the overall Treaty that is finally agreed, so the only way they can be changed is for the entire Treaty legislation to be repealed. Bottom line: EU citizens in the UK will continue to have more rights in certain areas than UK citizens!

Complete text:

This Part of the Agreement establishes rights for citizens following on from those established in Union law during the UK’s membership of the European Union; the CJEU is the ultimate arbiter of the interpretation of Union law. In the context of the application or interpretation of those rights, UK courts shall therefore have due regard to relevant decisions of the CJEU after the specified date4. The Agreement should also establish a mechanism enabling UK courts or tribunals to decide, having had due regard to whether relevant case-law exists, to ask the CJEU questions of interpretation of those rights where they consider that a CJEU ruling on the question is necessary for the UK court or tribunal to be able to give judgment in a case before it. This mechanism should be available for UK courts or tribunals for litigation brought within 8 years from the date of application of the citizens' rights Part.
    I'm not a lawyer but that looks to me to be UK friendly

EU citizens have no right of appeal to ECJ. ECJ decisions shall be given the weight of precedent in interpretation of citizens rights. If there is a question of the interpretation of EU law, UK courts can ask the ECJ for its views (*not on the case but on the interpretation of law*) which the UK court may take into account in making its judgement

we're heading towards what the UK wanted in 1973 a trading relationship but no integration

We have a line in the sand. We’ll be integrated, but there’ll be no more integration unless we specifically agree. It is undoubtedly a solution most can live with. There’ll be no big, bucanerring FTAs, no major deregulation, no chlorinated chicken (!!); but there’s also no chance of sleepwalking into a USE. The headbangers on both sides will be furious. But so what?

• Morning all,

Sounds to me that May has thrown down the gauntlet to Boris and co. Back me on alignment or walk...
    Thin gruel there for Nichola Sturgeon too....

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

Complete text:

This Part of the Agreement establishes rights for citizens following on from those established in Union law during the UK’s membership of the European Union; the CJEU is the ultimate arbiter of the interpretation of Union law. In the context of the application or interpretation of those rights, UK courts shall therefore have due regard to relevant decisions of the CJEU after the specified date4. The Agreement should also establish a mechanism enabling UK courts or tribunals to decide, having had due regard to whether relevant case-law exists, to ask the CJEU questions of interpretation of those rights where they consider that a CJEU ruling on the question is necessary for the UK court or tribunal to be able to give judgment in a case before it. This mechanism should be available for UK courts or tribunals for litigation brought within 8 years from the date of application of the citizens' rights Part.

Yep, so a case brought in Year 8 in the UK will go through first instance, appeal and Supreme Court, and can then go to the ECJ. That’s a long process.

Claimants can't appeal to the ECJ
  • TOPPING said:

About two cases a year:

The UK courts have not asked the ECJ for help very often, compared with other member states

Negotiators are still locked in a stalemate over the role of the ECJ in enforcing citizens’ rights after Brexit. One point of clash is what the withdrawal agreement, the future partnership agreement and UK law should say about how the UK courts are to regard post-Brexit ECJ case law. Another is whether the UK Supreme Court should be obliged to refer questions of EU law on citizens’ rights to the ECJ after Brexit, as it is now.

Negotiators on both sides should be aware that the UK courts have not made references to the ECJ particularly often in recent years. The number of references from UK courts is average compared with other member states’. Around two references a year concern citizens’ rights.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/IfG_Brexit_ECJ_v10FINAL web.pdf
    Yes that's right we are going to be only a little bit pregnant.
    For 8 years....in one area.....maybe 16-20 cases. Then that's it......
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Sean_F said:

So, was Monday's breakdown real, or all part of an elaborate dance?

It was specifically staged to provide ScottP et al with the more options for twitting and twatting.
    That's bollocks isn't it? NI is an open question that could well lead to special status.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893

Hunt’s delusions again; there’s no such thing as a good Brexit!

But there is such a thing as a least bad one.

That’s different! And I agree.
  • Sean_F said:

y Farage led UKIP in their millions

Apparently they were promised that leave means leave. Now that leave means not leave they want a May-shaped head on a spike.

The Tory party will get the blame for this. 12 months of vacuous hot air and red lines not only drawn but Boris flicking v-sign at Europe from behind them. Then in the end we capitulate on everything and the same ministers will now try and tell the voters they are stupid and don't understand.

Marvellous!
    ‘Daily Blackshirt’ LOL!

Not remotely surprised they are mad, anything which upsets the DM is generally a good thing. The absolute sovereignty which these hardcore Leavers desire is not realistic, it never was, and young people’s futures shouldn’t have to be trashed on and put in the bin so they can carry out their crazed ideological experiment.

Yes, in the long term the immigration issue Leavers will be angry at the Tories, and it’ll be entertaining to see how they deal with those voters. I suspect a few will, as you say march off to UKIP making them semi-relevant again. Farage will suddenly be leader again....

We have a line in the sand. We’ll be integrated, but there’ll be no more integration unless we specifically agree. It is undoubtedly a solution most can live with. There’ll be no big, bucanerring FTAs, no major deregulation, no chlorinated chicken (!!); but there’s also no chance of sleepwalking into a USE. The headbangers on both sides will be furious. But so what?

bizarrely we appear to be fully aligned SO :-)

Sean_F said:

As I said after I saw Theresa on Monday evening she was very upbeat

I think it was a show

Scott_P said:
    "Fix later" - that no-one will quite find the urgency to fix.

As predicted.

Hmmm - the next sentences look more important.

Any deal on Ireland's border was always going to require a lorry-load of fudge.

Schrodinger's Fudge at that.

If the EU rejects the UK’s solutions, regulatory alignment will apply across the UK. So, either we come up with something the EU approves or we align our regulatory regime in a number of key areas with the EU.

Bye, bye chlorinated chicken!

Pity - chicken needs some help to give some taste... :)
  • Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

Complete text:

UK courts can ask the ECJ for its views (*not on the case but on the interpretation of law*) which the UK court may take into account in making its judgement
    UK courts have not made references to the ECJ particularly often in recent years......Around two references a year concern citizens’ rights.

• TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    Which rules precisely are these? And of course having no influence over them gives the EU a lot of leeway to keep altering them as we go forward. This is not a position Remain should be crowing very loudly about - it should hope to sneak it under the radar and hope that people forget.
    If the EU move the goalposts at some stage later, not agreeing a trade deal or trying to use NI alignment to have a swipe at the city (Financial services regulations etc) It's easy to imagine a situation that would turn very ugly indeed, especially if people believe that BRexit has somehow been a con job. even a lot of remain voters will baulk at being conned.
  • Re Free Movement: I’ve read through the agreement and I couldn’t see the bit where Free Movement is being kept permanently. Have I missed something?
  • Sean_F said:

I suspect it was real. Quite possibly the UK government didn't (wasn't allowed to?) consult with the DUP enough - but what put the tin lid on it was the leaks to the Irish media - which convinced the DUP they were being steamrollered. Inexperienced Irish PM tried to go over the heads of NI.....
    The DUP were in an inherently weak position and have achieved nothing other than some deckchair rearranging and moving political gravity in NI a notch closer to reunification. As always they go short term at their own long term cost.

I suspect they got the fright of their lives as they saw how reaction amongst soft unionist supporters played out. A mate of mine who is a member of an orange order phoned me Monday night to say the idiots have got it wrong again. I think they got a lot of those calls.
    edited December 2017
    Alistair said:

That's bollocks isn't it? NI is an open question that could well lead to special status.
    NI has had special status since 1985, you seem to not understand this
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sean_F said:

Marvellous!
    I would not take the Daily Mail Comments seriously as a barometer of opinion, they mostly come from Texas or Moscow nowadays.

Alignment or equivalence ;-)

edited December 2017

So no thanks to Labour then....

I reckon most Leavers will be satisfied. They will chunter about the amount we have had to pay to leave - but at least it will be ending. The planes will keep flying, the ports will stay open, people will still move around Europe as they did before. BUT the UK - and the UK alone - can determine who comes to the UK, and on what basis. THAT will be what the majority of leavers - and quite a few Remainers too - will take from Brexit.

That - and comfort in the Little People having been heard, for once. May will generally get credit for implementing that. Those who tried to block Brexit, with their second referendum wankery and the like - not so much.

That sounds good to me.
  • TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    edited December 2017
    GIN1138 said:
    Can't see anything yet......
    Edit : Can't see anything specific yet on preserving FoM, even though we would be subject to all the other rules on the basis of no deal. I wonder how this is intended to work?
  • Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

Complete text:

Claimants can't appeal to the ECJ

I know. That was not my point.

• Charles said:

Sean_F said:

I think it was a show
    I love your name dropping!

Anyway, that's not what the Queen said when I saw her Tuesday morning.
  • Mortimer said:

Lol.

Might even lead to defections of MPs, and would probably mean 5 Southern seats are gained at the expense of 45 midland/northern seats.

It isn’t Labour who will have to deal with a potential backlash from their (mostly Remain voters). The Tories however have many Leaver ‘immigration is the worst thing to happen ever’ voters who won’t be happy that free movement isn’t ending. Tories are in some ways in the worst of both worlds - the party of Brexit which will put off the socially liberal voters, but not the party of Hard Brexit (which will anger socially conservative hardcore Leavers).
  • GIN1138 said:
    That we know of - criminal checks - one of their 'red lines' (Verhofstadt)
    Suspect - minimum income thresholds for new arrivals after Brexit day
    Money - who knows? Its more than €20, less than €100.....
    GIN1138 said:
    The UK is leaving. They have lost a giant economic unit. They have lost their second biggest contributor. They have been unable to stop their USE project from going backwards.

Time's arrow can be reversed. That is a massive compromise on the inevitability of their ambition.
  • GIN1138 said:
    Drunker said there had been compromises on both sides.....
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,311
    Can anyone provide a link to the agreement?
  • GIN1138 said:
    That we know of - criminal checks - one of their 'red lines' (Verhofstadt)
    Suspect - minimum income thresholds for new arrivals after Brexit day
    Money - who knows? Its more than €20, less than €100.....
    Did you leave out about nine zeros there?

Alignment or equivalence ;-)

Convergivalent?
  • TonyE said:

GIN1138 said:
    Edit : Can't see anything specific yet on preserving FoM, even though we would be subject to all the other rules on the basis of no deal. I wonder how this is intended to work?

This is the agreement to get us to Phase Two. That’s when we start talking about things like FoM. The EU27 have what they want. The UK government now has to decide what it wants - within the context of this Agreement and the EU’s wider parameters.

We're gonna be seeing a lot of that over the next few days and weeks.
  • Can anyone provide a link to the agreement?

There is one up thread from CarlottaVance.

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

I think it was a show

His holiness was happy enough when we snapchatted earlier this morning...

Mortimer said:

Lol.

It isn’t Labour who will have to deal with a potential backlash from their (mostly Remain voters). The Tories however have many Leaver ‘immigration is the worst thing to happen ever’ voters who won’t be happy that free movement isn’t ending. Tories are in some ways in the worst of both worlds - the party of Brexit which will put off the socially liberal voters, but not the party of Hard Brexit (which will anger socially conservative hardcore Leavers).
    Free movement is ending.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Mortimer said:

Lol.

I think freedom of movement still has to be decided upon.

Mortimer said:

Lol.

I'd stick to chatting about the soft left which you do know something about.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    So from the reaction so far, the middle 80% of Brexit opinion are satisfied with the headlines of the deal. Nigel Farage and the WilliamGlenn tendency are dissatisfied. Well done Mrs May.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    edited December 2017

TonyE said:

GIN1138 said:

This is the agreement to get us to Phase Two. That’s when we start talking about things like FoM. The EU27 have what they want. The UK government now has to decide what it wants - within the context of this Agreement and the EU’s wider parameters.

That’s pretty well what Tusk says, according to the Guardian. However, he gors on to say 'We need more clarity on how the UK sees our future relations, after it has left the Single Market and Customs Union.’
    Presumably after 2019.
  • felix said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

I think it was a show

As if Brexit wasn't enough, he wants to change the Lord's Prayer.
  • This is the key passage imho:

"The United Kingdom remains committed to protecting North-South cooperation and to
    its guarantee of avoiding a hard border. Any future arrangements must be compatible
    with these overarching requirements. The United Kingdom's intention is to achieve
    these objectives through the overall EU-UK relationship. Should this not be possible,
    the United Kingdom will propose specific solutions to address the unique
    circumstances of the island of Ireland. In the absence of agreed solutions, the United
    Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the
    Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation, the allisland
    economy and the protection of the 1998 Agreement."

Could be seen as a bit kicking the can down the road to be honest.
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Lol.

There will be no right to freedom of movement. Because we won't be subject to the treaties of EU membership.

There will be, therefore, by implication, British control over British immigration policy.
    edited December 2017
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Lol.

Yup, that will be the biggy.
  • For just one day on here can all the armchair negotiators and would-be Kissingers give it a rest.As Margaret Thatcher once put it: "Rejoice, rejoice".I shall rejoice that the only serious political party in the UK the Conservative and Unionist party is dealing with this process. A period of silence would now be most welcome from some of the hysterics on here. You know who you are.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    In the spirit of the morning I've opted for a soft egg-it for brexfast. Nice and runny in the middle and plenty of opaque yoke to enjoy ....

Mortimer said:

Lol.

You really don't understand those that voted for Brexit. Just escaping the EU's orbit is the victory.

There really is nothing to be gained from opening up that victory to minor degrees of improvement. A huge portion of the Conservative Party - and its voters - will just think "Job done. Move on to making Brexit Britain the best it can be." Anyone that still wants more could conceivably go to UKIP. But they won't. I suspect that UKIP is dead in the water now. There simply is no "big ticket item" left for it to secure. We are an independent United Kingdom.

Alistair said:

NI has had special status since 1985, you seem to not understand this
    Yes I am well aware thank you. I mean from the DUP's perspective.

felix said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

I think it was a show

As if Brexit wasn't enough, he wants to change the Lord's Prayer.
    Our parent who art in ....
    JackW said:

In the spirit of the morning I've opted for a soft egg-it for brexfast. Nice and runny in the middle and plenty of opaque yoke to enjoy ....

Still enough of a military to provide soldiers?

So no thanks to Labour then....

I reckon most Leavers will be satisfied. They will chunter about the amount we have had to pay to leave - but at least it will be ending. The planes will keep flying, the ports will stay open, people will still move around Europe as they did before. BUT the UK - and the UK alone - can determine who comes to the UK, and on what basis. THAT will be what the majority of leavers - and quite a few Remainers too - will take from Brexit.

That - and comfort in the Little People having been heard, for once. May will generally get credit for implementing that. Those who tried to block Brexit, with their second referendum wankery and the like - not so much.
    I'm not sure, the opposition to migration is far too intertwined with other issues that Brexit could possibly make worse - access to housing, the state of the NHS, the availability of worthwhile, fairly paid jobs, and so on.

It's a classic postmodern problem in the pejorative sense, a problem without a clear link to its referent. If 'there are too many migrants!' is in part fuelled by these other concerns, then no amount of reduction in the numbers of migrants will remove that discontent, because no amount of reduction in the numbers of migrants will solve the issues which fuel it.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

I think it was a show

So do I , however it is good to have a poster on here so close to ultimate power in the UK.

GIN1138 said:
    Drunker said there had been compromises on both sides.....
    A classic case of The British Sausage, and that was set at Christmas too.

• Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Lol.

Free movement is ending.

That covers a multitude of sins, though.

• I am interpreting this as saying basically that the DUP will have final say on whether we have full alignment or not across the whole UK, if some kind of FTA/customs agreement is not done.

It reads to me as if the DUP have been given a veto on the way forward in the longer run.

That and the firm, warm words on border was probably enough.

• JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    felix said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

I think it was a show

Mrs Jack W snorted at me approvingly a short time ago ...
  • This is the key passage imho:

"The United Kingdom remains committed to protecting North-South cooperation and to
    its guarantee of avoiding a hard border. Any future arrangements must be compatible
    with these overarching requirements. The United Kingdom's intention is to achieve
    these objectives through the overall EU-UK relationship. Should this not be possible,
    the United Kingdom will propose specific solutions to address the unique
    circumstances of the island of Ireland. In the absence of agreed solutions, the United
    Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the
    Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation, the allisland
    economy and the protection of the 1998 Agreement."

Could be seen as a bit kicking the can down the road to be honest.

Not really. The final sentence is the agreed line in the sand. The UK either comes up with acceptable solutions or there is regulatory alignment.

JackW said:

felix said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

I think it was a show

Mrs Jack W snorted at me approvingly a short time ago ...
    Good to see you back! I hope your ARSE is having a comfortable retirement.
This discussion has been closed.