Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay has probably ensured that she’ll remain as PM until Brexi

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2017
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yep - May has done herself, the Conservative party and the country as a whole a huge favour in accepting that the EU27 are in charge of an orderly Brexit.

Jeremy Corbyn will never be Prime Minister.

And freedom of movement will end. The central demand of the people who voted for Brexit, rather than those who kept the flame burning in the willderness, will be kept.

Ending freedom of movement covers a multitude of sins. It could end up being meaningful, it could end up be symbolic. TBD. If it is the former then many Brexit voters will be pleased. If it is the latter, they will not be.

FOM will be replaced by a work permits system
    Yes. FoM in all but name.
    Maybe because I've worked abroad I'm just blind to all the folderol over Freedom of Movement. Most countries allow incomers if they have a job and can support themselves. This seems reasonable to me.

In terms of the British diaspora, we're mostly (~80%) in the Anglosphere. The remainder are concentrated largely in four entirely unsurprising countries; Ireland, France, Germany and Spain.

In my view its a bit daft to equate 'Freedom of Movement' with work permits. They're really not the same thing. Equally, Mrs May hasn't addressed the issue of mass immigration; even in xenephobic racist Brexit Britain, we still had net migration of ~230k people, with another 150k from natural growth.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

Well I for one am glad that the Irish think it's a victory for them to have agreed that like the UK they won't put up a hard border.

Because the UK has agreed in writing to regulatory alignment as a back stop.
    As a back stop which won't be needed, and only to the extent needed to avoid a hard border (which is very little).
    The bit I don't quite understand is 'in the event of no agreement, this is the agreement' Surely, if there's no agreement.....there's no agreement.....
    And in any event nothing is agreed until everything is agreed (paragraph 5). Its a classic piece of EU fudge. Sounds ponderous, means nothing.
  • Options

Well I for one am glad that the Irish think it's a victory for them to have agreed that like the UK they won't put up a hard border.

As a back stop which won't be needed, and only to the extent needed to avoid a hard border (which is very little).
    The bit I don't quite understand is 'in the event of no agreement, this is the agreement' Surely, if there's no agreement.....there's no agreement.....
    It's not in the event of no agreement, it's in the event that the final agreement doesn't include options A or B, which is not really plausible.

It's all a bit silly, TBH, since as the UK has been saying all along the border question depends on the trade deal.
  • Options

A no change border.

• Options

On FoM it will depend on what "full alignment with the rules (on FoM)" actually means. Royal Blue seems to not get that we've said no border between ROI and the UK, and between NI and GB. Which is why we've capitulated on the deal and said we will fully align with the rules of the SM and CU so that we can effectively be part of them after we leave.

The EU have always made it clear that there is no cherry picking of the SM rules. We've committed to full alignment on those rules. Someone will have to blink, and the EU have repeatedly demonstrated that they will maintain the integrity of the rules. We either obey or there is no deal. And if there is no deal then there is no agreement on the Irish issue. And the whole thing falls apart again with regards to phase 2 of the talks.

And if we have to accept all the rules of the SM and CU people will begin to wonder what is the point of leaving.....
    Well....
    What it underlines is that the 'have your cake and eat it' Brexit was never possible. Thus, in order to avoid economic chaos May has had to take this route. She likely always knew that a 'no deal' Brexit was not desirable AT ALL.

Meanwhile, those who believe immigration to be the worst thing EVER won't be too happy. I know Brexiteers who literally thought that Brexit meant that all the Eastern Europeans would be 'kicked out.' They weren't talking about having more freedom on trade, for example.
  • Options

Broadly how I see it. We will leave the SM/CU but continue to be fully compliant with their rules. We "leave" but continue to act exactly the way we did before we left.

Which as you say means no trade deals elsewhere. We cannot do anything which makes us non-compliant with SM rules or the agreement falls apart.

And I keep banging on about FoM because this is the bit that I keep being told so important to so many bigots and racists. They want an end to "foreigners". And yes, we will end FoM. And replace it with "FoM" because we have to be fully aligned to all 4 pillars if we want a deal on services (which we have to have). So we will have formally stopped Freedom of Movement. And replaced it with no restrictions on EU nationals coming to work here.

Anyone happy...?

Yep I am happy (apart from my bet with Richard N). And you are wrong on the no trade deals. We will be leaving the CU and will be making our own trade deals.

The text is written in such a way that any compliance with SM rules is limited to those areas directly affecting Ireland and only if no other solution is found. Both of these issues will be resolved given time so I have no qualms about a sensible compromise at the moment.

This deal means we are indeed leaving the EU in spite of all those saying it won't happen and it also means we will be doing so on terms that will make Brexit a success in spite of all the doom merchants.

Oh and May is still crap by the way. She has made far too many fundamental errors in this process and made it far more complicated than it needed to be.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Excellent morning for May and the country. A border deal reached and the European Commission has now recommended sufficient progress has been made to move to FTA talks and even Sir Keir Starmer on Sky news now says he is 'pleased' progress has been made and accepts the role for the ECJ on Citizens rights etc.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42277040

Hard Brexiteers are furious of course, Aaron Banks has called the deal 'a betrayal of 17.5 million Leave voters' but May was always going to have to break with them eventually to make progress with the EU

There are many strands of Brexiteers just as there were of leavers. Despite the fantasies of Banks, Farage and others they were never a cohesive, unified bloc. This one, for example, is quite content with what May has done. What she needs to do is find a consensus that a comfortable majority of both leavers and remainers can live with. This is a good first step.
    The FTA that ends free movement she is aiming for is that consensus
    Yes, as I have said all along, from the start she's got the big picture right. The big development is that the EU is now playing ball, which is why I said yesterday that I was more optimistic than I'd been at any time since the referendum.
    Yes I am also optimistic this morning, diehard Remainers and diehard Leavers will be unhappy everyone else satisfied.

• Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Excellent morning for May and the country. A border deal reached and the European Commission has now recommended sufficient progress has been made to move to FTA talks and even Sir Keir Starmer on Sky news now says he is 'pleased' progress has been made and accepts the role for the ECJ on Citizens rights etc.

Hard Brexiteers are furious of course, Aaron Banks has called the deal 'a betrayal of 17.5 million Leave voters' but May was always going to have to break with them eventually to make progress with the EU

There are many strands of Brexiteers just as there were of leavers. Despite the fantasies of Banks, Farage and others they were never a cohesive, unified bloc. This one, for example, is quite content with what May has done. What she needs to do is find a consensus that a comfortable majority of both leavers and remainers can live with. This is a good first step.
    Yes, as I have said all along, from the start she's got the big picture right. The big development is that the EU is now playing ball, which is why I said yesterday that I was more optimistic than I'd been at any time since the referendum.

The EU was always going to play ball if we provided what it needed. We have.

• Options

It means we've pre-agreed a fallback position for the event of no other agreement being made. Kind of an insurance policy.
  • Options

It's all a bit silly, TBH, since as the UK has been saying all along the border question depends on the trade deal.
    Which effectively the EU have now conceded.....jolly good.....
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Sky news says UK exit bill agreed at £35 to £39 billion, lower than some forecasts
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Yep. And she seems more on target for that this morning than she has to date. It is a prize worth fighting and even paying for.
    Agreed
  • Options

John Redwood seems to be hopeful this deal can be torn up.
    https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/939082596390264832

Applies both ways.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

Yes, you are right, but that is not why it is there. The EU will just declare that any suggestions from the UK are not capable of avoiding a hard border so we have to accept alignment. We could walk away, but by now it must be obvious to everyone that May will never do so. So she will have to concede alignment which is what the EU wanted all along. Without any benefits, of course.
  • Options

Broadly how I see it. We will leave the SM/CU but continue to be fully compliant with their rules. We "leave" but continue to act exactly the way we did before we left.

Which as you say means no trade deals elsewhere. We cannot do anything which makes us non-compliant with SM rules or the agreement falls apart.

And I keep banging on about FoM because this is the bit that I keep being told so important to so many bigots and racists. They want an end to "foreigners". And yes, we will end FoM. And replace it with "FoM" because we have to be fully aligned to all 4 pillars if we want a deal on services (which we have to have). So we will have formally stopped Freedom of Movement. And replaced it with no restrictions on EU nationals coming to work here.

Anyone happy...?

Yep I am happy (apart from my bet with Richard N). And you are wrong on the no trade deals. We will be leaving the CU and will be making our own trade deals.

The text is written in such a way that any compliance with SM rules is limited to those areas directly affecting Ireland and only if no other solution is found. Both of these issues will be resolved given time so I have no qualms about a sensible compromise at the moment.

This deal means we are indeed leaving the EU in spite of all those saying it won't happen and it also means we will be doing so on terms that will make Brexit a success in spite of all the doom merchants.

Oh and May is still crap by the way. She has made far too many fundamental errors in this process and made it far more complicated than it needed to be.
    The biggest problem she had was the election result and the loss of her majority. It has made it much harder to override objectors, whether from NI or, more often, within her own party. Its been a tough hand to play but other than picking someone competent rather than Davis (presumably on the basis that he could deliver the nutters) to be the lead negotiator I think she could have done worse. If phase 2 proceeds relatively smoothly I think history will give her a better press than she has had to date.
  • Options

We will be leaving the CU and will be making our own trade deals.

No, we will not be making our own trade deals. We will be out of the CU for sure, but still aligned with EU regulations. That will make FTAs with the USA, Australia and NZ all but impossible. The whole point of trade deals is that you accept other countries regulations as 'equivalent' - but the UK won't be able to do that. We cannot accept US agro regulations as 'equivalent' because it would breach our obligations under EU regulations - because there will be no border the EU will not allow us to import items that don't comply with their regulations because there will be no way to stop them entering the EU. So no deals.
  • Options

It's not in the event of no agreement, it's in the event that the final agreement doesn't include options A or B, which is not really plausible.

In the event of an overall deal being reached, we have committed in writing to there being no change to the status of the Irish border, unless the Irish government agrees. It will be exactly as it is now. That is what the Irish government wanted. The UK government has also agreed with the DUP that the effect of this will be UK-wide, not just in NI.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2017

We've agreed to pay them some dosh, much of it for a transition period, but not as much as they were claiming to want. They've agreed to drop the nonsense about the ECJ having jurisdiction in the UK. They've agreed that all the nonsense they used to spout about not being able even to start trade talks until after we left was nonsense. They've agreed the principle of a transition deal to avoid the cliff edge. They've effectively agreed that the Irish question can't be discussed until we know more about the trade deal arrangements (but that's just common sense rather than a concession).

In other words, they've stopped being daft and are now agreeing to start the talks which they should and could have started a year ago. It's very late to do so, but better late than never. I've no idea why they insisted on the logical contortion of doing things backwards, but the good news is that Theresa May and DD have managed to navigate their way through the bureaucratic maze.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

No, we will not be making our own trade deals. We will be out of the CU for sure, but still aligned with EU regulations. That will make FTAs with the USA, Australia and NZ all but impossible. The whole point of trade deals is that you accept other countries regulations as 'equivalent' - but the UK won't be able to do that. We cannot accept US agro regulations as 'equivalent' because it would breach our obligations under EU regulations - because there will be no border the EU will not allow us to import items that don't comply with their regulations because there will be no way to stop them entering the EU. So no deals.
    I see that as a good thing, particularly on EU food standards.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Anyone happy...?

The biggest problem she had was the election result and the loss of her majority. It has made it much harder to override objectors, whether from NI or, more often, within her own party. Its been a tough hand to play but other than picking someone competent rather than Davis (presumably on the basis that he could deliver the nutters) to be the lead negotiator I think she could have done worse. If phase 2 proceeds relatively smoothly I think history will give her a better press than she has had to date.
    Yes May is clearly a far better negotiator than Cameron even if she has not matched the overall majority he enjoyed for a year
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited December 2017
    Since I guess Scott's too busy to post this one:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/939088296541609984
  • Options

We will be making our own trade deals, but only once we have finalised the deal with the EU. If we end up with regulatory alignment across areas like agriculture and energy because the UK has failed to provide an alternative way to ensure the current status of the Irish border, then that will inevitably affect the kind of trade deals we can do. Basically, no chlorinated chicken!!

• Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    edited December 2017
    HYUFD said:

Sky news says UK exit bill agreed at £35 to £39 billion, lower than some forecasts

And larger than some others, ending up entirely in line with what the vast majority have been saying for ages. Even the FT guys behind the 100billion euros estimate had it as potentially £35-40billion net.

I am baffled by why all this is being interpreted as a win for May. Maybe we've been so starved of good news for so long that we'll reach for anything that doesn't so obviously stink of ineptitude.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Arlene Foster 'pleased' to see changes in the text of the new Brexit deal with a new paragraph promising unfettered access to rest of the UK for NI reports Sky news
  • Options
    Also as the amounts will be paid over time in the future, the present value of the payments will be even lower when the discounting is applied.
  • Options

We've agreed to pay them some dosh, much of it for a transition period, but not as much as they were claiming to want. They've agreed to drop the nonsense about the ECJ having jurisdiction in the UK. They've agreed that all the nonsense they used to spout about not being able even to start trade talks until after we left was nonsense. They've agreed the principle of a transition deal to avoid the cliff edge. They've effectively agreed that the Irish question can't be discussed until we know more about the trade deal arrangements (but that's just common sense rather than a concession).

In other words, they've stopped being daft and are now agreeing to start the talks which they should and could have started a year ago. It's very late to do so, but better late than never. I've no idea why they insisted on the logical contortion of doing things backwards, but the good news is that Theresa May and DD have managed to navigate their way through the bureaucratic maze.
    +1
  • Options

What it comes down to is that they finally accept we are going to leave. So the focus has shifted to the how and future relationship where it should have been from the start. As I said earlier it is not entirely their fault that they have taken so long to be persuaded of this. The remainer dominated media, the position of the Labour party (at least on alternate days), the minority government, all gave them cause to hope that we would not reach this point. A real hostage to fortune but I think this will get easier now.
  • Options
    eek said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

Yep - May has done herself, the Conservative party and the country as a whole a huge favour in accepting that the EU27 are in charge of an orderly Brexit.

Jeremy Corbyn will never be Prime Minister.

And freedom of movement will end. The central demand of the people who voted for Brexit, rather than those who kept the flame burning in the willderness, will be kept.

Ending freedom of movement covers a multitude of sins. It could end up being meaningful, it could end up be symbolic. TBD. If it is the former then many Brexit voters will be pleased. If it is the latter, they will not be.

FOM will be replaced by a work permits system
    Yes. FoM in all but name.
    Given the insanity of our benefits system - that's all we can do. Freedom of Movement to Denmark/ France / Germany doesn't allow you to claim benefits from day 2.

When we look back in history Blair / Brown will be regarded as the worst Prime Ministers of all time..
    Clearly you don't know your history. Top of that list is Anthony Eden
  • Options

We will be making our own trade deals, but only once we have finalised the deal with the EU. If we end up with regulatory alignment across areas like agriculture and energy because the UK has failed to provide an alternative way to ensure the current status of the Irish border, then that will inevitably affect the kind of trade deals we can do. Basically, no chlorinated chicken!!

This is quite simply wrong. Nothing in the agreement would prevent us importing salmonella-free chicken from the US, if we decide that's a good idea. That includes into NI. The only thing we've agreed to is that there will not be customs posts checking that such chickens won't get to the other side. Since you don't need customs posts for that, this is hardly a big deal. After all the incentives for large scale chicken-smuggling are never going to be significant - the gangs will focus, as they do now, on booze'n'fags, where we don't have anything like regulatory alignment at the moment.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    How about a kilo crate of Brexit Fudge as a gift from PB leavers to Mr Meeks.? £25 inc shipping, won't take many of us clubbing together to make that very cheap.

Just imagine his glee when it's delivered to his office, and he feels the leaver love!

http://www.studio.co.uk/shop/en/studio/personalised-1kg-fudge-crate
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    DavidL said:

Anyone happy...?

I might be in a party of one on this - and I don't doubt that initially the result was a huge knock to the PMs confidence - but the outcome of June actually made it easier to negotiate with Brussels than if she had a majority of 150 saying "stuff 'em....WTO will do for us". Having the foil of the DUP on the Irish border issue and the "Hard Brexiteers" threatening to replace her allowed her to say "It's me - or Boris. Who do you want to deal with?" And the mood music coming out of EU capitals was that they would rather deal with her. Surprise surprise.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    I think this is one of those occasions where it's best to pass comment a bit later once the dust has settled.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

In the event of an overall deal being reached, we have committed in writing to there being no change to the status of the Irish border, unless the Irish government agrees. It will be exactly as it is now. That is what the Irish government wanted. The UK government has also agreed with the DUP that the effect of this will be UK-wide, not just in NI.
    What if the "overall" deal includes provision for there to be changes made to the border arrangements? "Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed". You have to dress everything up as if you are one of "them" - "them" being anyone but the Brits.
  • Options

Do you actually realise that chlorinated chicken is safer than what we eat, or do you just repeat it because it sounds scary?

What exactly is wrong with using chemicals to kill harmful germs that might attach to food?

The argument over chlorinated chicken is simply about agricultural protectionism, not food safety. Which even the EUs internal experts have conceded.
  • Options
    The EU wanting the alignment of these two deals on the same day probably helped the UK negotiators....
  • Options

Epic spin, Richard, and good on you for doing it!! On a day like this I am happy for you to seek victories wherever you can find them. For, indeed, today the UK has won, because the Brexit loons have lost.

However, the EU's final goal was not to ensure that the ECJ continued to have a remit in the UK, it was to ensure it got guarantees that the rights currently enjoyed by EU citizens in the UK would be protected. It got that. On Ireland, it now has a line in the sand - no change to the status of the Irish border without the Irish government's agreement. And on the money, it got what it needed, too.

Ironically, today also kills off the hopes that some of the more extreme Remainers might have had about the UK staying in the EU by default. Having got what it wants, the EU is now essentially in regular territory: negotiating an FTA with a third country. There is no ioncentive for it to do anything other than play a totally straight bat. It is up to us to decide what we want and how much we are prepared to compromise on our red lines in order to get it.

I suspect that we will find out in future years that a lot of this was choreographed. Mrs May needed to show pragmatic Brexiteers (the loons will never be convinced) that she had done all she could and there was no more available. The truth is that what has been agreed to day could have been agreed a while back - but only if May had faced the entire Tory Brexit brigade down. Doing it this way has cost some time, but it has kept things together. As I say down-thread, today is a very good day for her, for the Conservative party and for the country. Disaster has been averted.

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Obviously you have not been following news on US food standards, otherwise you definitely wouldn't be saying that. Chlorinated chicken, meat products so full of injected medicals, poor standard of animal care and slaughter, interesting methods of processed food production and all that before talking about GM. True story, a group of UK pig farmers were touring the States, get ideas, look at machinery, etc., and wanted to have a look in at an intensive pig farm - weren't allowed (and no, it wasn't from hygiene standards). If I remember the article correctly, they later discovered that using the same methods in the UK would have got the farmers put in prison for animal cruelty.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Morning all. A great birthday present from the PM.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I might be in a party of one on this - and I don't doubt that initially the result was a huge knock to the PMs confidence - but the outcome of June actually made it easier to negotiate with Brussels than if she had a majority of 150 saying "stuff 'em....WTO will do for us". Having the foil of the DUP on the Irish border issue and the "Hard Brexiteers" threatening to replace her allowed her to say "It's me - or Boris. Who do you want to deal with?" And the mood music coming out of EU capitals was that they would rather deal with her. Surprise surprise.
    I can see what you are saying but I don't agree. May always wanted a deal. Every sensible person does. The alternative is just too much uncertainty. She has found it difficult to deliver that deal because she has been held hostage by cliques which range from the mildly obsessive to the bat shit insane on both sides of the argument.
  • Options

Also as the amounts will be paid over time in the future, the present value of the payments will be even lower when the discounting is applied.
    Don't confuse the poor woman.
  • Options
    Hmm...its starting to feel a lot like Christmas. Light snow falling....
  • Options

This is quite simply wrong. Nothing in the agreement would prevent us importing salmonella-free chicken from the US, if we decide that's a good idea. That includes into NI. The only thing we've agreed to is that there will not be customs posts checking that such chickens won't get to the other side. Since you don't need customs posts for that, this is hardly a big deal. After all the incentives for large scale chicken-smuggling are never going to be significant - the gangs will focus, as they do now, on booze'n'fags, where we don't have anything like regulatory alignment at the moment.

Nope, we have agreed to regulatory alignment in areas covered by the GFA.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    So at 05:00 GMT on Friday morning, May gets an agreement, very little detail given, so leaves plenty of time for the Sunday papers to get hold of it and dissect it. The record of the present Cabinet and Cabinet Office leaves much to be desired, like competence for a start.
  • Options

I still say that you and I should have been negotiating this deal SO. We would have been at this point months ago.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    edited December 2017

It seems that Clause 49 allows the EU to drag their heels, as has been noted on here. In which case, it seems that things will continue as has been the case (eg. regulatory alignment). The Irish will (might) say - we want to adopt EU Directive 210/43/2022 and NI must therefore adopt it also. In order to maintain the integrity of the UK, the UK must then adopt EU Directive 210/43/2022.

The phrasing of the 40s paragraphs is interesting also in that there is a distinction between the EU Internal Market (capitalised) and the UK internal market (not capitalised).

This is having all the directives, but not being within the single market, as has been noted above also from different ends of the spectrum ( @RochdalePioneers and @archer101au).

What am I missing?
  • Options
    Happy birthday, Mr. Essexit.
  • Options
    Context for the euphoria over the €40 billion: https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/858091/Brexit-news-latest-eu-uk-bill-theresa-may-speech

'Following Theresa May’s crunch Brexit speech in Florence on Friday, she announced that Britain “will honour commitments” made during its EU membership and deliver a payment of €20 billion to the EU.

Now, the final bill is expected to be twice this amount, and Britain would need to issue an agreement-in-principle on this to begin trade talks, senior EU diplomats confirmed to a Sunday paper.'
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

On FoM it will depend on what "full alignment with the rules (on FoM)" actually means. Royal Blue seems to not get that we've said no border between ROI and the UK, and between NI and GB. Which is why we've capitulated on the deal and said we will fully align with the rules of the SM and CU so that we can effectively be part of them after we leave.

The EU have always made it clear that there is no cherry picking of the SM rules. We've committed to full alignment on those rules. Someone will have to blink, and the EU have repeatedly demonstrated that they will maintain the integrity of the rules. We either obey or there is no deal. And if there is no deal then there is no agreement on the Irish issue. And the whole thing falls apart again with regards to phase 2 of the talks.

I think you're the one showing a lack of understanding.

We've not committed to no border; we've committed to no hard border. They are not the same thing, at all.

Again, you don't understand the Single Market. The EU has made it blindingly clear; we are a member, or we're not. There is no 'effectively being part of the Single Market'; we are in or out, and we will be out.

The thing that makes the Single Market special is that regulatory conformity is assessed at source; that's why no customs borders are necessary between member states. We are leaving that system, so some kind of controls will be required to enforce conformity of goods that enter the Single Market.

I can see us submitting to EU phytosanitary standads and assessment at source to avoid hold-ups of agricultural goods. That does not mean we have to be part of the CAP.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yep ...

Many of the stated objectives of Conservative Brexiteers won't be fulfilled thanks to the obligations the United Kingdom has agreed to secure sufficient progress. Yes, the United Kingdom is out of the single market and customs union in law – but agreeing to the necessary alignment in order to preserve the open Irish border means that "our laws" will still be controlled de facto if not de jure in Brussels.

• Options

I think you're flogging a dead horse debating with SO. But I admire your restraint and the inherent optimism in doing so as I believe most remoaners will take their pessimism with them to their graves.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I think this is one of those occasions where it's best to pass comment a bit later once the dust has settled.

I agree but you surely know it ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Contrast with all the nonsense talked yesterday.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It seems that Clause 49 allows the EU to drag their heels, as has been noted on here. In which case, it seems that things will continue as has been the case (eg. regulatory alignment). The Irish will (might) say - we want to adopt EU Directive 210/43/2022 and NI must therefore adopt it also. In order to maintain the integrity of the UK, the UK must then adopt EU Directive 210/43/2022.

The phrasing of the 40s paragraphs is interesting also in that there is a distinction between the EU Internal Market (capitalised) and the UK internal market (not capitalised).

This is having all the directives, but not being within the single market, as has been noted above also from different ends of the spectrum ( @RochdalePioneers and @archer101au).

What am I missing?
    Well, if you look at the GFA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday_Agreement you won't find a lot about chickens. Or frankly anything to do with trade, regulations or EU law. It is to do with constitutional structures creating areas of agreed cooperation, policing and disarmament. It is a bit of a stretch to say that because we won't disturb that we will have to comply with all EU law.
  • Options

I think you're flogging a dead horse debating with SO. But I admire your restraint and the inherent optimism in doing so as I believe most remoaners will take their pessimism with them to their graves.
    Stop moaning.
  • Options
    We're literally celebrating May for accepting the exact figure the EU advanced two months ago. Her big success is that she didn't manage to negotiate the figure up!
  • Options

Context for the euphoria over the €40 billion: https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/858091/Brexit-news-latest-eu-uk-bill-theresa-may-speech

'Following Theresa May’s crunch Brexit speech in Florence on Friday, she announced that Britain “will honour commitments” made during its EU membership and deliver a payment of €20 billion to the EU.

Now, the final bill is expected to be twice this amount, and Britain would need to issue an agreement-in-principle on this to begin trade talks, senior EU diplomats confirmed to a Sunday paper.'

Have you never haggled over a carpet? The concept of each side making bids, ultimately reaching a middle ground - that seems to have escaped you.....
  • Options
    I've just scanned the citizens-rights part of the agreement, and if I'm not mistaken it looks as though we have conceded on one important point: we were asking for the rights of UK citizens currently living in one EU state to extend to other EU states (eg someone currently living in France could move to Spain). If I've understood correctly on a quick read, we haven't got that.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Ironically, today also kills off the hopes that some of the more extreme Remainers might have had about the UK staying in the EU by default. Having got what it wants, the EU is now essentially in regular territory: negotiating an FTA with a third country. There is no ioncentive for it to do anything other than play a totally straight bat. It is up to us to decide what we want and how much we are prepared to compromise on our red lines in order to get it.

I suspect that we will find out in future years that a lot of this was choreographed. Mrs May needed to show pragmatic Brexiteers (the loons will never be convinced) that she had done all she could and there was no more available. The truth is that what has been agreed to day could have been agreed a while back - but only if May had faced the entire Tory Brexit brigade down. Doing it this way has cost some time, but it has kept things together. As I say down-thread, today is a very good day for her, for the Conservative party and for the country. Disaster has been averted.

It does seem okay, and the inertia is strong, but there's always the potential for some almighty row to derail things. So don't count your chickens.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

What am I missing?
    Well, if you look at the GFA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday_Agreement you won't find a lot about chickens. Or frankly anything to do with trade, regulations or EU law. It is to do with constitutional structures creating areas of agreed cooperation, policing and disarmament. It is a bit of a stretch to say that because we won't disturb that we will have to comply with all EU law.
    What's a stretch? On the mechanics of what seems to have been agreed, Ireland needs only to say we want this particular EU reg, and then NI has to follow. And then the UK has to follow.

Saying the UK doesn't want the EU reg would mean that there would be divergence between NI and ROI.
  • Options

Have you never haggled over a carpet? The concept of each side making bids, ultimately reaching a middle ground - that seems to have escaped you.....
    How is it a middle ground?

Theresa May, September: We'll give you 20 billion.
    The EU, September: Give us 40 billion and we can move to trade talks.
    Theresa May, December: We'll give you 40 billion.
    PB: She's a negotiating genius!
  • Options

Which side is the carpet bagger?
  • Options

Stop moaning.
    I was observing and I apologise if it looked like I was moaning.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    It looks like the deal has achieved:

- Control of immigration
    - No role for the EU court
    - An exit bill lower than even the low end of the 40-60 billion range everyone was expecting
    - A solution for Northern Ireland
    - Regulation alignment only for GFA areas
    - UK responsibility for making that alignment happen (meaning no automatic application of rules, likely wiggle room for application, and the ability to foot drag perpetually in difficult areas)
    - Remainers feeling it's a win of a sensible Brexit, giving them catharsis from the unhinged hostility against Brexit that led them to consider Corbyn

Given she doesn't have a majority, I would say May has done a very good job in hard circumstances.
  • Options

Stop moaning.
    Never apologise. Never explain.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

What am I missing?
    What's a stretch? On the mechanics of what seems to have been agreed, Ireland needs only to say we want this particular EU reg, and then NI has to follow. And then the UK has to follow.

Saying the UK doesn't want the EU reg would mean that there would be divergence between NI and ROI.
    Only if that regulation refers to something we trade in with Ireland and even then only if we cannot agree on an equivalence.

And if Ireland start to make too many of these demands they might quickly find we are looking at other sources for the goods we trade with them.
  • Options

We're literally celebrating May for accepting the exact figure the EU advanced two months ago. Her big success is that she didn't manage to negotiate the figure up!

The number of 100bn gross and 60bn was floated around originally. This is much closer to May's first offer of 20bn.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    TOPPING said:

Stop moaning.
    Never apologise. Never explain.
    I had my fingers crossed. Isn't that what you do when negotiating?
  • Options

I've just scanned the citizens-rights part of the agreement, and if I'm not mistaken it looks as though we have conceded on one important point: we were asking for the rights of UK citizens currently living in one EU state to extend to other EU states (eg someone currently living in France could move to Spain). If I've understood correctly on a quick read, we haven't got that.

Not sure I see that. The agreement refers to the UK on the one side and the EU on the other. You have to be in a host state on the relevant date but I don't see a restriction on the rights of movement within the EU if you qualify.

OTOH there is clear and express acknowledgement that the UK courts will have due regard to decisions of the CJEU on what citizens rights are even after our departure and there is even going to be a referral mechanism such as we have at the moment of cases to the CJEU to provide "guidance" on what the extent of citizens rights under the agreement are. Some Brexiteers will not be happy with that concession. Personally, I'm not that bothered.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2017

On a quick read of the agreement we only seem to be complying with existing obligations, as is the EU with returning our share of assets to us, with the one exception of continuing contributions beyond withdrawal until end 2020. However, these payments beyond withdrawal will anyway be necessary if there is a transition agreement up until end 2020.
  • Options

Try this:

https://www.politico.eu/article/e40-billion-not-enough-to-unlock-brexit-talks-say-eu-diplomats/

and this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/28/uk-and-eu-agree-brexit-divorce-bill-that-could-reach-57bn

"While EU sources have spoken in recent months of £53bn to £58bn, both sides are trying to avoid talking numbers to help the British government deal with the potentially toxic political fallout."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Half serious question:

What happens if a baby is born on a ferry crossing from Liverpool to Belfast ?

Does it get EU rights :) ?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    RoyalBlue said:

I think you're the one showing a lack of understanding.

We've not committed to no border; we've committed to no hard border. They are not the same thing, at all.

Again, you don't understand the Single Market. The EU has made it blindingly clear; we are a member, or we're not. There is no 'effectively being part of the Single Market'; we are in or out, and we will be out.

The thing that makes the Single Market special is that regulatory conformity is assessed at source; that's why no customs borders are necessary between member states. We are leaving that system, so some kind of controls will be required to enforce conformity of goods that enter the Single Market.

I can see us submitting to EU phytosanitary standads and assessment at source to avoid hold-ups of agricultural goods. That does not mean we have to be part of the CAP.

Submitting to EU Phytosanitary standards should be a concern. I am not impressed with the integrity of the system.

I am not sure they are adequate to deal with things like Xylella fastidiosa, should it spread beyond Italy, Spain, France and allegedly Germany and Poland now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not sure I see that. The agreement refers to the UK on the one side and the EU on the other. You have to be in a host state on the relevant date but I don't see a restriction on the rights of movement within the EU if you qualify.

OTOH there is clear and express acknowledgement that the UK courts will have due regard to decisions of the CJEU on what citizens rights are even after our departure and there is even going to be a referral mechanism such as we have at the moment of cases to the CJEU to provide "guidance" on what the extent of citizens rights under the agreement are. Some Brexiteers will not be happy with that concession. Personally, I'm not that bothered.
    It has an 8 year limit. Given that the alternative is an never ending ECJ influence I would say that is well worth it.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

- An exit bill lower than even the low end of the 40-60 billion range everyone was expecting

Why do you people have such short memories? This is just bizarre. The EU explicitly said an offer of 40 billion euros would be needed to advance to trade talks, in September. Two and a half months of negotiations haven't shifted the EU an inch, while our offer doubled to meet their demand exactly.

You're confusing estimates that didn't take into account money given back to the UK with the net payment. E.g. - the FT estimate of 100 billion euros (the highest estimate I know of) explicitly meant a net payment of '£35-40 billion' once everything had been taken account of.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Pulpstar said:

Half serious question:

Depends who the parents are. (Did you mean Dublin?)
    or A citizen of Nowhere?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    OchEye said:

Chlorinated chicken, meat products so full of injected medicals, poor standard of animal care and slaughter, interesting methods of processed food production and all that before talking about GM. True story, a group of UK pig farmers were touring the States, get ideas, look at machinery, etc., and wanted to have a look in at an intensive pig farm - weren't allowed (and no, it wasn't from hygiene standards). If I remember the article correctly, they later discovered that using the same methods in the UK would have got the farmers put in prison for animal cruelty.

This is my day job subject and it's broadly right though I don't know the specific pig story (and would be interested in anyone can link to it). Essentially, the US has very little federal regulation of farm animal standards, so it's down to what the states require, and they vary on what they require, if anything. The chlorination is not in itself a problem; the issue, as Gove has said, is that it's necessary to remedy the effects of the sometimes awful conditions before slaughter. Some US firms are significantly better, e.g. McDonalds. Like many things in the US, progress is corporate-driven rather than legislative.

Whether the agreement makes restrictions easier or harder (live exports are another hot issue) is something the animal NGOs are pondering. The consensus is "Maybe, but not yet quite clear".
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

As I said at the time, expectation management was the key, not the raw figure. I think it has worked: we were thinking £50bn so knocking the number down to 40-45, the currency down to euros while they are still a bit cheaper than £s, and being given extended payment terms = win, win, win.

Having said that today feels an awful lot like the 24 hour phony peace you get after an omnishambles budget, before it all falls apart.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Half serious question:

We call in Solomon
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited December 2017
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

It opt EU Directive 210/43/2022.

What am I missing?

If you actually look at the GFA itself, you'll find this:

ANNEX
    Areas for North-South co-operation and implementation may include the
    following:
    1. Agriculture - animal and plant health.
    2. Education - teacher qualifications and exchanges.
    3. Transport - strategic transport planning.
    waste management.
    5. Waterways - inland waterways.
    6. Social Security/Social Welfare - entitlements of cross-border workers
    and fraud control.
    7. Tourism - promotion, marketing, research, and product development.
    8. Relevant EU Programmes such as SPPR, INTERREG, Leader II and
    their successors.
    9. Inland Fisheries.
    10. Aquaculture and marine matters
    11. Health: accident and emergency services and other related crossborder
    issues.
    12. Urban and rural development.
    Others to be considered by the shadow North/ South Council.

I'd argue chlorinated chicken is covered by point 1!

Of course, that is the 1998 text - and a lot has been done under the provisions of the GFA since then.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/136652/agreement.pdf

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

I distinctly recall the figure being somewhere around 100billion a year ago...
  • Options

OchEye said:

Chlorinated chicken, meat products so full of injected medicals, poor standard of animal care and slaughter, interesting methods of processed food production and all that before talking about GM. True story, a group of UK pig farmers were touring the States, get ideas, look at machinery, etc., and wanted to have a look in at an intensive pig farm - weren't allowed (and no, it wasn't from hygiene standards). If I remember the article correctly, they later discovered that using the same methods in the UK would have got the farmers put in prison for animal cruelty.

This is my day job subject and it's broadly right though I don't know the specific pig story (and would be interested in anyone can link to it). Essentially, the US has very little federal regulation of farm animal standards, so it's down to what the states require, and they vary on what they require, if anything. The chlorination is not in itself a problem; the issue, as Gove has said, is that it's necessary to remedy the effects of the sometimes awful conditions before slaughter. Some US firms are significantly better, e.g. McDonalds. Like many things in the US, progress is corporate-driven rather than legislative.

Whether the agreement makes restrictions easier or harder (live exports are another hot issue) is something the animal NGOs are pondering. The consensus is "Maybe, but not yet quite clear".
    There is no way animal cruelty standards are laxer in the US than they are in Romania.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

What am I missing?

Only if that regulation refers to something we trade in with Ireland and even then only if we cannot agree on an equivalence.

And if Ireland start to make too many of these demands they might quickly find we are looking at other sources for the goods we trade with them.
    I doubt it will ever come to that. It would require Ireland to piss off its largest trading partner and all of the multinationals who use Ireland as a low tax haven staging point for the UK market.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Why do you people have such short memories? This is just bizarre. The EU explicitly said an offer of 40 billion euros would be needed to advance to trade talks, in September. Two and a half months of negotiations haven't shifted the EU an inch, while our offer doubled to meet their demand exactly.

You're confusing estimates that didn't take into account money given back to the UK with the net payment. E.g. - the FT estimate of 100 billion euros (the highest estimate I know of) explicitly meant a net payment of '£35-40 billion' once everything had been taken account of.

The 100 was gross, the 60 was net. Yes, they came down to 45 a while back. 37 is closer to our 20.
  • Options
    Divorce bill net £20bn - over time

Continuing EU payments beyond withdrawal to have a transition period of being semi detached 2 years x 10bn a year = another £20bn

Total net £40bn - over time.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

OchEye said:

There is no way animal cruelty standards are laxer in the US than they are in Romania.
    As ever its more about whether standards are enforced (or not).
  • Options

"Just rejoice at that news and congratulate our EU negotiating team and our PM. Rejoice!"

50 billion to the EU in protection money and CJEU oversight for nearly a decade ?

I thought they were red lines for you?
    LOL.

> CJEU time-limited to 8 years vs. permanent oversight
    > 50 billion (potentially) spread over decades, rather than massive lump-sum up front, and ongoing 9 bn per year for all eternity (in profit in 6 years)

Like I said: LOL.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It has an 8 year limit. Given that the alternative is an never ending ECJ influence I would say that is well worth it.
    8 years to get through our court system and a referral to the CJEU! Good luck with that.
  • Options

I still say that you and I should have been negotiating this deal SO. We would have been at this point months ago.

May had to go through a process to get to where we are today. If she had agreed what has been agreed now six months ago a lot of the Brexit-backing Tories on the government benches who are praising her this morning would have been launching missiles. A lot of us have underestimated her. I certainly did. She has done a very good job for the country on this.

• Options

Try this:

https://www.politico.eu/article/e40-billion-not-enough-to-unlock-brexit-talks-say-eu-diplomats/

and this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/28/uk-and-eu-agree-brexit-divorce-bill-that-could-reach-57bn

"While EU sources have spoken in recent months of £53bn to £58bn, both sides are trying to avoid talking numbers to help the British government deal with the potentially toxic political fallout."
    Your source: “This €40 billion could make sense only if it’s a first step with an openness to discuss further [financial] commitments,” said a diplomat from a small EU country. “It could be enough to say, OK we are ready to move to phase 2, but only if it’s not the final figure.”

And today: 'If the UK wants a transition period beyond 31 December 2020, when the current seven-year EU budget ends, it will have to pay more. The EU is also leaving open the question of whether or not it will seek additional funds in return for the transition period. The money will be paid over time rather than in a lump sum. '

So, nothing has changed except May has acquiesced.
  • Options

"Just rejoice at that news and congratulate our EU negotiating team and our PM. Rejoice!"

50 billion to the EU in protection money and CJEU oversight for nearly a decade ?

I thought they were red lines for you?
    LOL.

> CJEU time-limited to 8 years vs. permanent oversight
    > 50 billion (potentially) spread over decades, rather than massive lump-sum up front, and ongoing 9 bn per year for all eternity (in profit in 6 years)

Like I said: LOL.
    Pink lines?
  • Options
    Here's what will happen - cabinet alignment upon:

(1) existing single market rules that make *mutual sense* for both the UK and EU (e.g. agriculture, energy) will be aligned. Same friendly service but with a Union Jack.

(2) existing single market rules that we believe should be *interpreted* differently (but with same objective) will have equivalence. Some product and goods standards

(3) new regulatory rules for new technology, services and systems will have an exclusive UK angle, and be allowed to diverge.

In NI, the assembly and exec will review and decide to maintain alignment with Eire, as required.

Free visas for the under 30s in Europe for 2 years. Freeish movement for high skilled workers.

Brexit is a process. Something for everyone.

Federal Europe can do one.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yep ...

Many of the stated objectives of Conservative Brexiteers won't be fulfilled thanks to the obligations the United Kingdom has agreed to secure sufficient progress. Yes, the United Kingdom is out of the single market and customs union in law – but agreeing to the necessary alignment in order to preserve the open Irish border means that "our laws" will still be controlled de facto if not de jure in Brussels.

Alignment isn't harmonisation. It can mean anything between harmonisation through equivalence to both sides not making a fuss over sufficiently similar laws. And the UK has responsibility for ensuring it, with no apparent EU oversight other than threatening to blow up the whole agreement. That is a long way off single market rule.
  • Options
    Oh, and Remainers will continue to try and troll Leavers by saying we've surrendered to Brussels and the EU will have the whip-hand forever, because they're absolute sad-sacks who've been left with nowhere else to go.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

8 years to get through our court system and a referral to the CJEU! Good luck with that.

It's any case initiated within eight years, isn't it? In practice, the ECJ could still be involved into the 2030s.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/939103076862046210

What was Osborne saying about half competent Labour leaders?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    OchEye said:

Obviously you have not been following news on US food standards, otherwise you definitely wouldn't be saying that. Chlorinated chicken, meat products so full of injected medicals, poor standard of animal care and slaughter, interesting methods of processed food production and all that before talking about GM. True story, a group of UK pig farmers were touring the States, get ideas, look at machinery, etc., and wanted to have a look in at an intensive pig farm - weren't allowed (and no, it wasn't from hygiene standards). If I remember the article correctly, they later discovered that using the same methods in the UK would have got the farmers put in prison for animal cruelty.
    It is EU food standards keeping out such things that I am pleased by. Europeans care about quality in food in a way the USA does not.
This discussion has been closed.