Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nick Robinson says the “very widespread expectation in Westmin

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Doethur, reminds me a bit of the first recent prolonged winter. Had a couple of feet of snow in places, about half a foot in others. Every day it'd melt just a little then freeze overnight, creating a weird icy crust.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,245
    De gea would have been proud of that one.
  • Options
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2017
    Have they never heard of rain stopped play? They are literally sending on teams of ground staff armed with leaf blowers to undercover the snow between plays.

https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/939922904522817536
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Just back from a family lunch and driven home in an Audi SQ7. Stunningly impressive given the preponderance of white stuff on rural Hertfordshire country roads.

Plenty of empty abandoned vehicles about including a brand new Range Rover. Ooopps.

• Options
    A £6bn deal to sell Eurofighter Typhoons to Qatar will help safeguard thousands of UK jobs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42302767
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    edited December 2017
    JackW said:

Just back from a family lunch and driven home in an Audi SQ7. Stunningly impressive given the preponderance of white stuff on rural Hertfordshire country roads.

Plenty of empty abandoned vehicles about including a brand new Range Rover. Ooopps.

Good to see you back Jack, oops, I mean, my lord.

On Pye Green Road this morning, three cars got stuck going up a small hill.

The police came out to help in a rear wheel drive vehicle.

Guess what the fourth car to get stuck was.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Two weeks ago I received a reminder note from Corals about a dormant account that I had totally forgotten about. Put the money on Green to be first out so I a hoping that some petulance from Davis doesn't spoil things
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

:smiley: .. and thank you.

We had six plus the driver in the car. The traction was astonishing and given the conditions the whole journey was supremely effortless. But fully loaded at £90k a pop it's certainly not a cheap option.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

A £6bn deal to sell Eurofighter Typhoons to Qatar will help safeguard thousands of UK jobs.

Those are some expensive damn planes - can they possibly be worth it?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

I'm sure this deal would have gone though under a corbyn labour government ,wouldn't it ?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Labour campaigner is suspended for posting 'anti-Semitic' video online showing three councillors dancing in traditional Jewish clothes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5164931/Labour-activist-suspended-accused-anti-Semitism.html

No problem with anti-Semitism...they did a report and everything.

I have to say for all my criticism of Labour under Blair, Brown and Miliband, I seriously didn't think that being anti-Jew was ever going to be an issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Labour campaigner is suspended for posting 'anti-Semitic' video online showing three councillors dancing in traditional Jewish clothes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5164931/Labour-activist-suspended-accused-anti-Semitism.html

I have to say for all my criticism of Labour under Blair, Brown and Miliband, I seriously didn't think that being anti-Jew was ever going to be an issue.

Miliband himself was Jewish - the first and so far only person who wasn't an ethnic Caucasian specifically BritishEuropean male to lead the Labour Party full time.

I likewise would never have dreamed that less than three years later this would be happening.

Edited because come to think of it his father was European.
  • Options

I'm sure this deal would have gone though under a corbyn labour government ,wouldn't it ?
    Labour’s Shami Chakrabarti said she was “very disappointed” by Gavin Williamson’s comments about killing so-called Islamic State fighters this week. The Labour peer this morning described “targeted assassinations” of “criminals” – presumably IS fighters – as “appalling”.
  • Options

Think more widely. Which country in the region is Qatar closest too? Where is the Foreign Secretary visiting? Sometimes the dots can be subtle.
  • Options
    Which is very bad and disturbing. But not quite as bad as your first tweet which implied the synagogue in question had been burned to the ground and I was wondering how many had died.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,348

Have they never heard of rain stopped play? They are literally sending on teams of ground staff armed with leaf blowers to undercover the snow between plays.

The shortness of the NFL season and the brutal nature of the sport, travel and bizarre rules on TV markets and competition with the NCAA mean it's very rare for games to be called off. You can't reschedule a game for Monday/Tuesday if you've got to fly to the other side of the country the next week. It pretty much has to be Day After Tomorrow stuff for teams to make an exception.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, it remains alarming that such an attack happened, and that I learnt of it through Twitter rather than the mainstream media.

Anyway, must be off.
  • Options

Labour’s Shami Chakrabarti said she was “very disappointed” by Gavin Williamson’s comments about killing so-called Islamic State fighters this week. The Labour peer this morning described “targeted assassinations” of “criminals” – presumably IS fighters – as “appalling”.
    With starmer comments on the EU this morning and people like chakrabarti in the party,labour won't be winning my vote back any time soon.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

With starmer comments on the EU this morning and people like chakrabarti in the party,labour won't be winning my vote back any time soon.
    And those are the intelligent sensible wing of the current shadow cabinet...
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Mr. Doethur, it remains alarming that such an attack happened, and that I learnt of it through Twitter rather than the mainstream media.

Anyway, must be off.

You will surely always learn of terrorist attacks first through Twitter - it’s always going to be faster.
    But you will also learn a lot of false info/rumours - whereas the mainstream media will actually check things are true before reporting. They will also make mistakes but far fewer than Twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    MJW said:

The shortness of the NFL season and the brutal nature of the sport, travel and bizarre rules on TV markets and competition with the NCAA mean it's very rare for games to be called off. You can't reschedule a game for Monday/Tuesday if you've got to fly to the other side of the country the next week. It pretty much has to be Day After Tomorrow stuff for teams to make an exception.
    It is now laughable....any deeper and they will need snow shoes.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832
    ydoethur said:

Miliband himself was Jewish - the first and so far only person who wasn't an ethnic Caucasian specifically BritishEuropean male to lead the Labour Party full time.

I likewise would never have dreamed that less than three years later this would be happening.

Three years ago, I would have dismissed as ridiculous, the idea of being represented by a Labour councillor who openly praised Adolf Hitler.
  • Options
    Completely OT but referencing the previous thread as I have been out most of the day.

I find it completely staggering that anyone could claim that someone who had a child out of wedlock is not fit to be PM. It seems to be an attitude that is so utterly outdated that I can't help but feel it must be a joke.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Three years ago, I would have dismissed as ridiculous, the idea of being represented by a Labour councillor who openly praised Adolf Hitler.
    The last two MP's for Bradford west have shown where you have to be in certain community's.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Can anyone name a cabinet member that is half talented and not a lying toerag.

It is simpler than that. Can you name any frontline British politician who is not a lying scumbag? It is a precondition of success in politics.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

It is simpler than that. Can you name any frontline British politician who is not a lying scumbag? It is a precondition of success in politics.
    It was said of Austen Chamberlain, manufactured to be the perfect English gentleman and the soul of decency, integrity and duty by his father, that he always played the game - and he always lost it.
  • Options

That only matters if you are in a marginal constituency like me.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112
    JackW said:

fully loaded at £90k a pop it's certainly not a cheap option.

That must be some quality Armagnac, Jack.....
  • Options

Given the current sabre rattling on the Arabian Peninsular it would be very interesting to know what the Saudi Government are making of this development.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

It was said of Austen Chamberlain, manufactured to be the perfect English gentleman and the soul of decency, integrity and duty by his father, that he always played the game - and he always lost it.
    He is probably the last one.
  • Options
    And there's still more snow than at a drug baron's birthday party.

This is astonishing especially for December.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

malcolmg said:

Amber Rudd, Justine Greening, Hilary Benn, Alan Johnson, Norman Lamb, Theresa May (on the whole), Jacob Rees Mogg (although he has never been a minister)
  • Options

Completely OT but referencing the previous thread as I have been out most of the day.

I find it completely staggering that anyone could claim that someone who had a child out of wedlock is not fit to be PM. It seems to be an attitude that is so utterly outdated that I can't help but feel it must be a joke.

In the 1950s there was even fuss about Eden being divorced in some quarters let alone having a child out of wedlock. Most people, especially younger people, are no longer bothered but in some quarters and especially amongst more elderly and retired voters it may still be an issue
  • Options

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

He is probably the last one.
    Interesting man although his political career was ultimately never quite fulfilled. Also I believe the only serving Foreign Secretary to win the Nobel Peace Prize (joint with Dawes) although Henderson was awarded one after leaving office.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,270

+100.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    ydoethur said:

The snow has just sat over mid Wales and central England all day. It'll make for a fun commute tomorrow.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,988
    JackW said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

:smiley: .. and thank you.

We had six plus the driver in the car. The traction was astonishing and given the conditions the whole journey was supremely effortless. But fully loaded at £90k a pop it's certainly not a cheap option.
    Does any PBer know whether these are new-build Eurofighters, or some of the 48 fairly hopeless Tranche 1 planes the RAF has? As 24 of those tranche 1's may be upgraded to allow a later out-of-service date, I wonder if the 24 being sold are the tranche 1's? If so, then it's an even better deal, because AIUI it'll cost a fortune to modernise those planes.

(The Eurofifghters were made in several tranches. The first tranche are fairly poor wrt functionality - e.g. you cannot fit Meteor or Brimstone to them - and the RAF has been wondering what the heck they can do with them as they are fairly different to the later tranches. It is up to the reader to question the sense of building such vastly expensive planes that cannot be upgraded.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Amber Rudd, Justine Greening, Hilary Benn, Alan Johnson, Norman Lamb, Theresa May (on the whole), Jacob Rees Mogg (although he has never been a minister)
    No. They just haven't been found out yet.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I was born on December 18th and my father and grandparents could barely get to the hospital because of the snow, or so I am told
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

The snow has just sat over mid Wales and central England all day. It'll make for a fun commute tomorrow.
    I'm walking.

I have already had the email to say the school is open but we should use our discretion as to whether we can get there safely.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

The last two MP's for Bradford west have shown where you have to be in certain community's.
    The tone in Labour is set from the top.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

No. They just haven't been found out yet.
    With 24 hour news nowadays and the internet I am sure if there was anything major on them it would have been discovered by now and they are all rare examples of reasonably honest politicians
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

I have already had the email to say the school is open but we should use our discretion as to whether we can get there safely.
    Our 'snowdays' whether at school or work and the accompanied road and rail disruption would be considered absurd in Finland, Norway, Russia, or parts of Canada and New England where today's snowfall is just an average winter day. They have learnt to prepare
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Trying to decide whether using avocado emojis as bullet point glyphs on my LinkedIn profile is interesting and shows my personality (hilarious #millennial) or unprofessional.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    IanB2 said:

+100.
    If anything I think it is to Ms Rayner's credit that she has made something of herself despite having a child at 16. That shows some gumption and is to be admired.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

Our 'snowdays' whether at school or work and the accompanied road and rail disruption would be considered absurd in Finland, Norway, Russia, or parts of Canada and New England where today's snowfall is just an average winter day. They have learnt to prepare
    We don't get enough of it to make it worthwhile.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

In those places it's worth investing in snow tyres and snow chains because you get deep snow every year for prolonged periods. In England the situation is different.

In my case it doesn't matter, but I don't think I'd want to drive in what is now eight inches of snow partially compacted in an ordinary front-wheel drive car in summer tyres unless I had no other choice.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

This is where I think you regularly go a little OTT, Richard. I can certainly see many MPs as being decent people who want to do the best for the country, even if I disagree with their politics. The 'lying' part for frontline politicians often comes down to the media, which frequently makes sensible discourse in politics impossible.

Yes, there are MPs who lie and are scumbags. But there are many who are not scumbags. I doubt there are many who don't lie occasionally - just as there are few of us who can truthfully say we never lie. And frontline politicians face a media who routinely twist words and meanings.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

+100.
    If anything I think it is to Ms Rayner's credit that she has made something of herself despite having a child at 16. That shows some gumption and is to be admired.
    A bit disconcerting for me though that she is only 2 years older than I am and already a grandmother and I am not yet even a father, I suppose at least she can say her family are doing their bit to create the next generation
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

In those places it's worth investing in snow tyres and snow chains because you get deep snow every year for prolonged periods. In England the situation is different.

In my case it doesn't matter, but I don't think I'd want to drive in what is now eight inches of snow partially compacted in an ordinary front-wheel drive car in summer tyres unless I had no other choice.
    ISTR in some parts of Germany (all?) you have by law to carry snowchains in your car for part of the year.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

We don't get enough of it to make it worthwhile.
    No reason not to be better prepared than we are
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

No but maybe worth considering at least having one school bus for teachers and pupils with snow tyres and snow chains for those who still want to come in
  • Options

Trying to decide whether using avocado emojis as bullet point glyphs on my LinkedIn profile is interesting and shows my personality (hilarious #millennial) or unprofessional.

Don't. Recruitment and interview bods have no sense of humour.

Ahem. ;)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

ISTR in some parts of Germany (all?) you have by law to carry snowchains in your car for part of the year.
    And a damn sensible rule that would be in the Alps.

But this is the first significant snowfall we have had since I moved to Cannock three and a half years ago. There has been one other fall of about half an inch which wouldn't have stopped a baby's pushchair.

Paying £500 for snow tyres and chains would be excessive.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

No but maybe worth considering at least having one school bus for teachers and pupils with snow tyres and snow chains for those who still want to come in
    Not a lot of help for rural schools which might have 16-20 routes to cover and staff living fifty miles away.

And not necessary in urban schools where the children can walk.

Edit - it's not exactly the work of five minutes to swap the tyres over either, but they deteriorate quickly when used in temperatures above freezing. Chains are a pain too.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

The Nordic countries are set up for snow because they get so much of it. I am familliar with a few of these countries, and after the beauty of the initial snowfall has passed, it just gets very annoying. The pavements etc stay as compacted ice for weeks on end, so lots of people fall over and break their bones. Also, cars slide around on the roads. Its a nightmare for the elderly. Also, people get ill because of the freezing temperatures, and end up taking lots of time off work sick.

I think the point about the UK is that what infrastructure we had for cold weather, we seemed to abandon about 25 years ago. I presume it was a case of it being the responsibility of local authorities, who were not funded to do it, so it stopped happening.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

But this is the first significant snowfall we have had since I moved to Cannock three and a half years ago. There has been one other fall of about half an inch which wouldn't have stopped a baby's pushchair.

I agree with you, and think HYUFD is being a little silly. For instance, my son is three and a half, and this is the first significant snowfall he has seen in Cambridge (today has been FUN!).

I used to live near, and routinely drive through, the Peak District, and I'd like to think I used to be fairly good at driving in the snow. Today, though, I realised those skills had somewhat atrophied over the decades.

Then there are the practicalities: take tarmac, for instance. AIUI it can be quite difficult to get tarmac that has good qualities at regular sub-zero temperatures and also does not melt if it gets above 25 degrees.
  • Options
    So the Starks were right after all.
  • Options
    It's at times like these that my dad usually remarks "as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't snowed since 1962."
  • Options
    edited December 2017

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

I agree with you, and think HYUFD is being a little silly. For instance, my son is three and a half, and this is the first significant snowfall he has seen in Cambridge (today has been FUN!).

I used to live near, and routinely drive through, the Peak District, and I'd like to think I used to be fairly good at driving in the snow. Today, though, I realised those skills had somewhat atrophied over the decades.

Then there are the practicalities: take tarmac, for instance. AIUI it can be quite difficult to get tarmac that has good qualities at regular sub-zero temperatures and also does not melt if it gets above 25 degrees.
    I hope the little one has been duly appreciative. My neighbour and his (teenage) daughters have been having loads of fun building the most awesome snowman I have ever seen. It's taller than me and I'm not exactly short!

Tomorrow all children will be hyper. I am already reaching for the Horrible Histories DVDs, my reliable fallback when all else fails...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

Not a lot of help for rural schools which might have 16-20 routes to cover and staff living fifty miles away.

Edit - it's not exactly the work of five minutes to swap the tyres over either, but they deteriorate quickly when used in temperatures above freezing. Chains are a pain too.
    In urban and suburban areas depends on the catchment area. In rural areas just needs each village or market town to ensure it has one snow ready bus
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

Certainly in West Germany in the 1970’s it was illegal to drive on the public roads without studded tires but they had snow on the ground for months at a time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

In urban and suburban areas depends on the catchment area. In rural areas just needs each village or market town to ensure it has one snow ready bus
    And who drives it?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It's at times like these that my dad usually remarks "as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't snowed since 1962."

My dad was living in the Peak District near Leek in the ?1947? winter. It snowed very heavily, and my granddad decided he needed to try to get the milk through to the nearest dairy. He set off on the tractor, but gave up on the road when it approached a little stream valley. He noticed the telegraph posts alongside the road disappearing beneath the snow, showing the entire valley was filled to at least telegraph-post height.

Snow? We don't know what snow is.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

And who drives it?
    The same bus drivers the council normally provides for its bus service
  • Options

tlg86 said:

My dad was living in the Peak District near Leek in the ?1947? winter. It snowed very heavily, and my granddad decided he needed to try to get the milk through to the nearest dairy. He set off on the tractor, but gave up on the road when it approached a little stream valley. He noticed the telegraph posts alongside the road disappearing beneath the snow, showing the entire valley was filled to at least telegraph-post height.

Snow? We don't know what snow is.
    Sure we do. It's white stuff that we never get, especially in Decem...hold on.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604

Use snowflakes instead. Much more festive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

And who drives it?
    How do they get there?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

+100.

She's done well, I agree. My overwhelming sense though is that that her having a child at 16 is a non issue. People have to overcome all sorts of challenging situations.

This profile of Angela Rayner in 2012, when she was a trade union rep, is interesting. Quoted without comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/feb/17/working-life-union-official-unison

"Rayner has a warm relationship with the council leaders, but each knows which side they are on. This is obvious when she talks about grievance processes: "There are times when it's one of my members who has acted badly, but even then I blame management – after all, they recruited that person. Management created the mess, so it is up to management to sort it out, with the best possible result for the member I'm representing."

On the day I spend with Rayner there are no disciplinary hearings, but we do discuss the process over lunch in the council canteen. "You get genuine ones, where an employee has committed fraud or stolen something, and you try and do your best for them, ensure they might get a fair CV instead of a trip to the police station. We look for a corrective response not a punitive one."
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    One of earliest memories is of arriving back at Worthy Down near Winchester and finding a snow drift right up to the second floor of our house. We had to get in by the back door. That was snow.

It must have been early 1963 after Christmas.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

And who drives it?
    How do they get there?
    If they leave from the local village or market town where most of them are likely to live near they walk
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Let's move the UK's central bank away from the world's most international and Europe's most significant financial centre!

I think this is the most moronic policy I have ever seen from any party ever.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    I imagine John McDonell would want the Bank's independent oversight to be as far away from his Treasury as possible.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    nielh said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

+100.

She's done well, I agree. My overwhelming sense though is that that her having a child at 16 is a non issue. People have to overcome all sorts of challenging situations.

This profile of Angela Rayner in 2012, when she was a trade union rep, is interesting. Quoted without comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/feb/17/working-life-union-official-unison

"Rayner has a warm relationship with the council leaders, but each knows which side they are on. This is obvious when she talks about grievance processes: "There are times when it's one of my members who has acted badly, but even then I blame management – after all, they recruited that person. Management created the mess, so it is up to management to sort it out, with the best possible result for the member I'm representing."

On the day I spend with Rayner there are no disciplinary hearings, but we do discuss the process over lunch in the council canteen. "You get genuine ones, where an employee has committed fraud or stolen something, and you try and do your best for them, ensure they might get a fair CV instead of a trip to the police station. We look for a corrective response not a punitive one."
    A fair CV? Following a crime?

Surely if the employer withheld that information in a reference they are themselves committing fraud. I would be criminally liable under such circumstances as a referee if I understand current law.

I don't rate her, but never dreamed that she once proposed that.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Let's move the UK's central bank away from the world's most international and Europe's most significant financial centre!

And this is the stuff they are willingly putting out there....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

The tone in Labour is set from the top.
    One of those MP's was Mr purr himself of the respect party but if you want to win votes in these places you will probably have to go down the path where some labour people have let themselves down.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

And who drives it?
    One of my local schools regularly has four or five busses waiting to vomit out their loads of children, and South Cambridgeshire isn't exactly known for its extreme rural characteristics. It's not just a case of having 'snow-ready' busses; it's a case of having drivers who can cope well with all possible snow conditions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

And who drives it?
    How do they get there?
    If they leave from the local village or market town where most of them are likely to live near they walk
    Ok. What that proves is you know nothing about bus drivers.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,956
    DavidL said:

Lukaku looking worth every penny of the £75 we spent on him. It was £75 wasn’t it?

Tell you what. Send him out on loan this transfer window. Everton need a striker.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,270
    edited December 2017
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

+100.
    Agree.

Today's YouGov survey, which I did earlier, has a Q about whether someone could/should be monarch in a whole variety of listed circumstances - ethnic minority, different religion, already has children, gay partner, older partner, divorced, etc. I expect the results will be out in a day or two and it will be an interesting window on current social attitudes.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

I can't quite get over how so many intelligent people have normalised extremists like Trump and Corbyn as just another part of the mainstream political spectrum.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

The Bank of England actually used to be mostly based in Gloucester.

For some reason, they moved it to a rubbishy unimportant city out east somewhere. Think it was called something like Lumbered :wink:
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Lukaku looking worth every penny of the £75 we spent on him. It was £75 wasn’t it?

Tell you what. Send him out on loan this transfer window. Everton need a striker.
    It’s tempting. He was a waste of space up front today with one glorious chance hit straight at the keeper (who in fairness reacted quite brilliantly to the rebound) and he gave away the winning goal. He works hard but so does Fellaini.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

. They have learnt to prepare

And who drives it?
    One of my local schools regularly has four or five busses waiting to vomit out their loads of children, and South Cambridgeshire isn't exactly known for its extreme rural characteristics. It's not just a case of having 'snow-ready' busses; it's a case of having drivers who can cope well with all possible snow conditions.
    The busses in the nordic countries are pretty much the same as the ones we have. They are 'snow ready' only in the sense that they have studded winter tyres. The problem is that if the road is blocked and piled up with abandoned cars, then the bus wouldn't get anywhere, even if the driver was trained to deal with snow.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    So on the evidence of today, the Labour Party contains antisemites, people who wish to excuse criminal behaviour and those with no understanding whatsoever of economics.

Poor Britain.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Theresa May showed herself to be a liar on April 18th this year.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

So on the evidence of today, the Labour Party contains antisemites, people who wish to excuse criminal behaviour and those with no understanding whatsoever of economics.

Poor Britain.

Certainly would be after Macdonnell had been in charge for six months.

No emoticons because that wasn't a joke.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

If Thatcher had had her twins out of wedlock, would that not have affected her leadership prospects in 1975 - and her chances of becoming PM in 1979?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

And who drives it?
    How do they get there?
    Ok. What that proves is you know nothing about bus drivers.
    How many bus drivers in rural areas live in remote hamlets or houses rented from farmers? Not many I suspect
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

And who drives it?
    Being near people who are not used to driving in snow and are on that learning curve is genuinely scary. People who use brakes instead of gears to control the car, who think a few more revs will do it and have no experience of their car skidding and don’t know how to respond.

• Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm walking.

And who drives it?
    More training ended then
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Poor Britain.

Don't forget Laura Pidcock, who can't be friends with anyone who disagrees with her beliefs; and Jared O'Mara (although the latter is I think currently suspended).

• Options
    justin124 said:

If Thatcher had had her twins out of wedlock, would that not have affected her leadership prospects in 1975 - and her chances of becoming PM in 1979?
    I doubt if Thatcher ever slept with anyone before she married Dennis
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    RoyalBlue said:

I'm sure Sadiq Khan will be ecstatic about that one.
This discussion has been closed.