Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s not easy being Green but he’s expected to be cleared on W

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    TGOHF said:

More from the @YouGov @thetimes poll

Should there be a second referendum

Yes - 33%

No - 42%

DK - 25%

BOOM !
    A majority against not having a second referendum. ;)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yes - 33%

No - 42%

DK - 25%

BOOM !
    Gold Standard pollster Survation has support for another referendum much higher and in the lead.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

New Yougov would give Tories 312 Labour 268, so Tories may still have enough seats to govern with DUP if SF don't take their seats and LDs abstain on a confidence vote

Not quite. The Tory lead in June was 2.4% so this poll is still a swing of 0.7% in Labour's favour and would give 8 Labour gains at Tory expense - reducing the Tories to 310. Labour would also gain from the SNP.
    Must be a good poll for Labour then.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

kle4 said:

Who has the upper hand in the negotiations

EU - 50%

Give and take - 26%

UK - 4%

Boom.
    What does that prove? Even most leavers think the EU has the upper hand.
    That - startlingly - is exactly what it does prove.

Where have all the 'they need us more than we need them' Leavers gone?
    I suspect they were the noisiest rather than the most numerous. Not to say some haven't gone too far in the opposite direction, with the 'the EU don't care what happens with the UK anymore' crap (they don't care about a massive economy right on their doorstep? Ookay)
  • Options
    Can i just say the iPhone X face tracked emjois is the most stupid thing since crypto-kitties!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    When I left work four hours ago, PB was telling me Green was going to resign this week!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

When I left work four hours ago, PB was telling me Green was going to resign this week!

And now it's covered on both scenarios!
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

TGOHF said:

Yes - 33%

No - 42%

DK - 25%

BOOM !
    Gold Standard pollster Survation has support for another referendum much higher and in the lead.
    Meaningless rubbish. We can't just have a 'second referendum' because the status quo is gone. Besides, it would destroy the Tory Party and there isn't time. It's not going to happen.
  • Options

Given how wrong YouGov VI polls were at the general election, calm down.

Aren’t you a Tory? You might as well be happy about this poll.
    TSE wants the Tories to crash and burn so that the annointed one (GO) can come back to save them and the country.
    Don't be as stupid as HYUFD.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

New Yougov would give Tories 312 Labour 268, so Tories may still have enough seats to govern with DUP if SF don't take their seats and LDs abstain on a confidence vote

Not quite. The Tory lead in June was 2.4% so this poll is still a swing of 0.7% in Labour's favour and would give 8 Labour gains at Tory expense - reducing the Tories to 310. Labour would also gain from the SNP.
    So still Tories comfortably largest party even if you add on 7 Labour gains from the SNP
    Tories would be largest party but I expect more like 20 gains from SNP.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited December 2017
    Scott_P said:

@ITVAllegra: I understand @Jeremy_Hunt agrees with calls to increase NHS funds to French & German levels in next few years, funded by wealth tax.

Bloody hell - they might even get my vote if they did that! They'll be nationalising the railways next! Are we watching the birth of the Social Democratic and Conservative party?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Scott_P said:

@ITVAllegra: I understand @Jeremy_Hunt agrees with calls to increase NHS funds to French & German levels in next few years, funded by wealth tax.

Bloody Marxist.
  • Options

kle4 said:

EU - 50%

Give and take - 26%

UK - 4%

Boom.
    That - startlingly - is exactly what it does prove.

Where have all the 'they need us more than we need them' Leavers gone?
    The problem is the decades of surrenders and giveaways by British governments that have preceeded us and indeed were a leading cause of the Leave vote.

As an Irishman might say "Negotiate a withdrawal from the EU ? Well I wouldn't start from here."

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Yes - 33%

No - 42%

DK - 25%

BOOM !
    Oh dear it’s all over - sunlit uplands ahead for TMay.
  • Options

TSE wants the Tories to crash and burn so that the annointed one (GO) can come back to save them and the country.
    Blimey - insults I can take, but that goes too far!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Has Hunt gone all in on Bitcoins ?
  • Options

I want Jeremy Corbyn's type of politics scorched from the face of the Earth.

Mrs May and her policies aren't the way to do that.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Bloody hell - they might even get my vote if they did that! They'll be nationalising the railways next! Are we watching the birth of the Social Democratic and Conservative party?
    Social Conservative & Unionist Movement
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Very good! :lol:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

'I understand that' seems like significant caveating. Their understanding of what he thinks may well be incorrect...depending on the reaction to the report is.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

'I understand that' seems like significant caveating. Their understanding of what he thinks may well be incorrect...depending on the reaction to the report is.
    AKA Kite Flying.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I want Jeremy Corbyn's type of politics scorched from the face of the Earth.

Mrs May and her policies aren't the way to do that.
    No indeed. If the ITVAllegra tweet is to be believed Mrs May is putting that copy of the Labour Manifesto he sent her to good use!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

There is nothing stupid about it. You are an in the closet classically Liberal, fiscally dry as dust Orange Book LD, republican non Unionist (the latter two prevent you being a true Tory)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Faisal seems to have mistaken Hammond for the Uk. Even the government is a stretch for Vichy Phil.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    The betfair odds discrepancy I saw earlier is still there. May to leave 2019 or later, 10/11 in one market. May to leave 2019 5/2, 2020 or later 15/2 - which combine to about 6/4, in the other. Using the 33/1, if you really think it's a risk, on 2017 you can get an under-round on it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There is nothing stupid about it. You are an in the closet classically Liberal, fiscally dry as dust Orange Book LD, republican non Unionist (the latter two prevent you being a true Tory)
    Again you talk nonsense, lest we forget you've done more for the Lib Dems than I ever have.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Will he also be introducing French and German health insurance?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Faisal seems to have mistaken Hammond for the Uk. Even the government is a stretch for Vichy Phil.

@faisalislam: Our understanding that this letter was approved by both Number 10 and FCO ... interesting times...
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Scott_P said:

+1
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Again you talk nonsense, lest we forget you've done more for the Lib Dems than I ever have.
    Cut their lead in my ward from the level they got in the last district council elections last year? If I stand next year for district, which is possible, as the Tory candidate I would be starting from 3rd place in my ward, in May 2014 the LDs came first and UKIP second
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

@faisalislam: Our understanding that this letter was approved by both Number 10 and FCO ... interesting times...
    Virtue signalling pish from the retards advising the PM.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cut their lead in my ward from the level they got in the last district council elections last year? If I stand next year for district, which is possible, as the Tory candidate I would be starting from 3rd place in my ward, in May 2014 the LDs came first and UKIP second
    Was the seat Tory held when the by election was called?
  • Options
    Interesting that UKIP has not been boosted by any sense of betrayal.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

I thought today was the day of "Tory Unity"....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD's not a real Tory.

He's a one man Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Virtue signalling pish from the retards advising the PM.

https://twitter.com/duncanrobinson/status/940179960140058624
  • Options
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Was the seat Tory held when the by election was called?
    The town council seat was Tory held but only because it was won on the day the Tories won an overall majority at the 2015 general election and there was a Labour candidate splitting the anti Tory vote, there was no Labour candidate in August. Plus of course the usual LD Nimbyism on the local plan. The Tory voteshare I got was about 10% more than the Tory voteshare in 2014 though which would be a platform for next year
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I doubt if that's going to get off the ground.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD's not a real Tory.

He's a one man Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition.
    Tbf, though, surprise isn't always his greatest weapon :)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Exclusive: Times/ YouGov Poll
    Voting intention has the Tories back ahead for the first time since the June election
    CON 42%(+2),
    LAB 41%(nc),
    LDEM 7%(nc)
    Changes on last week. Poll taken Sun/Mon

Tory surge klaxon!
    Any Scottish Sub Samples?
  • Options
    The real shock Yougov poll tonight was not the voting intention one but that more Britons think Brussels sprouts are a vital part of Christmas dinner than Turkey
    https://mobile.twitter.com/YouGov/status/940220737054494721
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The real shock Yougov poll tonight was not the voting intention one but that more Britons think Brussels sprouts are a vital part of Christmas dinner than Turkey

Never had Turkey for Xmas myself, so it doesn't shock me.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Scott_P said:

Has Hunt gone all in on Bitcoins ?
    It's one thing to fly a kite, let him say it in public and we'll talk
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Exclusive: Times/ YouGov Poll
    Voting intention has the Tories back ahead for the first time since the June election
    CON 42%(+2),
    LAB 41%(nc),
    LDEM 7%(nc)
    Changes on last week. Poll taken Sun/Mon

Tory surge klaxon!
    Any Scottish Sub Samples?
    Tables not out until tomorrow.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/940352154627387392

Must be a large number of pressing Christmas parties or MPs stuck in snow.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Large chicken for us, or sometimes a roast ham. Not a turkey fan.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well you can have goose or duck or ham I suppose amongst other meats but I never knew Brussels Sprouts were so popular
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Can't abide turkey. Sprouts parboiled, halved and fried with bacon in some white wine vinegar on the other hand...
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

We have salmon on Christmas Day, we tried turkey twice, found it rubbish.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Chicken, Beef (or Lamb) and Pork, so there's a selection, only way to go. The Brussels I don't eat myself, but definitely more part of the Xmas tradition than Turkey for some reason.

I'm told in many places they tend to have a fish dinner on Xmas eve instead.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Usually duck for us, but going to inlaws this year so probably a pair of chickens plus (for no clear reason) salmon.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Can't abide turkey. Sprouts parboiled, halved and fried with bacon in some white wine vinegar on the other hand...
    That sounds a passable way of disguising the sprout flavour.

Do you have pineapple with it?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

That sounds a passable way of disguising the sprout flavour.

Do you have pineapple with it?
    Blasphemer!!!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Scott_P said:
    Putting my CFO hat on for a second, the current draft of the US tax treaty would cause many multinationals (even very small ones like us) some serious problems.

The basic tenet of international tax treaties is that the same chunk of profit should only get taxes once. Now, we can argue about where economic substance is, and where ultimately profits should accrue, but this is central.

If the US tax bill were to be passed in full, today, it would mean that many companies would need to choose between operations in the UK and the US. Having operations in both, and having economic value generated in both runs the very real risk of seeing the same dollar (or pound) or earnings taxed twice.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited December 2017

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Even more than other poultry, turkey needs to be the highest quality to be edible. Genuinely free range birds reared slowly on good quality feed are good, but you pay for it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

So now I know - Christmas salmon must be "an Asian thing"!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Even more than other poultry, turkey needs to be the highest quality to be edible. Genuinely free range birds reared slowly on good quality feed are good, but you pay for it.
    We once had turkey at a friend's house, found it dry.

A few years later, we had a Christmas meal in a very nice hotel, tried it there, still as bad.
  • Options
    What about Brussels sprouts on a Pizza (which I have had)?
  • Options

Well I assume it was part of some dare on a tv reality show, in which case that's fine.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    edited December 2017

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

A few years later, we had a Christmas meal in a very nice hotel, tried it there, still as bad.
    It also needs to be nicely cooked. Never had good turkey out. Luckily both my mother and my gf's can cook it beautifully. That said, goose is far better.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

With buttered herb potatoes or mash, honey glazed parsnips, broccoli, sweetcorn and other veg.

In recent years we've added kebabs and roast chicken to the menu as well.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well I assume it was part of some dare on a tv reality show, in which case that's fine.
    Ask Italian I think. I quite liked it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Scott_P said:

Still Tories then?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It also needs to be nicely cooked. Never had good turkey out. Luckily both my mother and my gf's can cook it beautifully. That said, goose is far better.
    My friend is a chef, and she went to the effort of sourcing a halal turkey for me.

She went to so much effort, I lied and told her I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    As ever PB gets round to its stomach.

Just come back from Follies. Very good it was too.
  • Options
    We have roast lamb at Christmas these days. Turkey is far too dry.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

National Theatre?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

National Theatre?
    Yes
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

With buttered herb potatoes or mash, honey glazed parsnips, broccoli, sweetcorn and other veg.

In recent years we've added kebabs and roast chicken to the menu as well.
    Sounds good. I won't make the obvious comment regarding which part of the bird you prefer.

Bizarrely, in wor lass's family, the answer to that is 'neck'!

Night all....
  • Options
    Brussels sprouts on pizza?

I think I need to log off PB before I upchuck.
  • Options
    Come on, nobody really likes Turkey....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

National Theatre?
    Yes
    I wonder if there are still tickets left.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited December 2017
    Sounds like a minor cat fight between Peston who wanted the job that Kuenssberg got and Kuenssberg who has shown herself to be a much better choice.

Indeed if evidence was ever needed of the quality of BBC recruitment she is it. When promoted to political editor it seemed quite a risky appointment. In fact she's turned out to be a master (or should that be mistress) of everything she surveys. She's simply the best. Possibly the best ever
  • Options

Brussels sprouts on pizza?

I think I need to log off PB before I upchuck.

I'll eat almost anything. I actually like sprouts.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

EU - 50%

Give and take - 26%

UK - 4%

Boom.
    Not if we start from a WTO position.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

National Theatre?
    Yes
    I wonder if there are still tickets left.
    It was pretty packed with a few empty seats although they looked more like no shows but worth a try.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited December 2017
    Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Always roast birds breasts down.

There's far more juice in the legs and wings, which then runs down into the breast meat, keeping it far moister.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Maybe there should be a thread on films of books that were better than the books but I can't think of any.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Maybe there should be a thread on films of books that were better than the books but I can't think of any.

The Godfather, Lord of the Rings, and The Shawshank Redemption.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

TOPPING said:

Fair enough on first and third (not read them). Definitely not LOTR (not seen it).
  • Options
    @TSE

The point being I suppose that it's better to read the book if it starts off as a book. Did you read the Shawshank Redemption?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Roger said:

Sounds like a minor cat fight between Peston who wanted the job that Kuenssberg got and Kuenssberg who has shown herself to be a much better choice.

Indeed if evidence was ever needed of the quality of BBC recruitment she is it. When promoted to political editor it seemed quite a risky appointment. In fact she's turned out to be a master (or should that be mistress) of everything she surveys. She's simply the best. Possibly the best ever

Rogerdamus rules suggest Green has little to worry about... :)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

@TSE

The point being I suppose that it's better to read the book if it starts off as a book. Did you read the Shawshank Redemption?

I read the story after I had watched the film.

Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins are what make that film better than the book (well novella)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The Bourne Trilogy
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The Bourne Trilogy
    Did you read the books?

The films created their own genre. Of course they are not literature (the discussion was about The Handmaid's Tale) so perhaps that is a factor.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    edited December 2017
    My recommendation is to have a mix of roast turkey, roast pork and all the little sausages, bacon rolls and stuffing balls.

That way you can have an individual combination of bland to rich and dry to moist according to your personal preference.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

@TSE

I read the story after I had watched the film.

Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins are what make that film better than the book (well novella)
    Ok I think it is an apples and chalk situation. If you meet the "story" with one mode then I suppose you will prefer that although my point was that a film of a book rarely is as profound as the book. Profound films, meanwhile (Jarman, Davies) couldn't become books.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

All good choices. Also Walkabout, a modest and agreeable piece of literature, but a total filmic masterpiece by Nic Roeg.

Just the last few minutes of Walkabout, the movie, can reduce me to tears. And no it's not just because Jenny Agutter is naked and very very very beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9w41F_f9cs

In fact it is a truism in Hollywood that great books make mediocre movies (from Ulysses to Proust) but middling books make the best movies (Blade Runner?)

Yes.

Edit: no you fuck off.

(Forgot it was you) :smile:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The Bourne Trilogy
    Did you read the books?

The films created their own genre. Of course they are not literature (the discussion was about The Handmaid's Tale) so perhaps that is a factor.
    Tried to read the first one: had to give up.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The fact that great books make shit or average movies is yawningly obvious. Likewise the fact that average books (with good plots) make the best films. Directors feel overshadowed by majorly famous novels (cf the terrible adaptation of Catch 22); with less well known books move-makers have more artistic and psychic freedom and can create.

The truly interesting exceptions are great books which ALSO make great movies, these are genuinely rare.

I'd suggest the Exorcist: the book and movie are equally superb. Maybe also the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice.*

*Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility was fabulous. but the Austen novel was a bit shit.

The best films are short stories, not novels.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The fact that great books make shit or average movies is yawningly obvious. Likewise the fact that average books (with good plots) make the best films. Directors feel overshadowed by majorly famous novels (cf the terrible adaptation of Catch 22); with less well known books move-makers have more artistic and psychic freedom and can create.

The truly interesting exceptions are great books which ALSO make great movies, these are genuinely rare.

I'd suggest the Exorcist: the book and movie are equally superb. Maybe also the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice.*

*Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility was fabulous. but the Austen novel was a bit shit.

Did you sell the film rights to your book?

*Innocent face*
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    TOPPING said:

Saw it last Thursday. Brilliant show. Great casting. Superb production. Really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Trying to jam 300 pages of events described in the text into a 90 mins nearly always requires a huge amount of comprise. To me it is also why the modern day mega money box-set ready series can be so good, as they can stretch the story out over 10-15hrs.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Great Expectations ?
    Grapes of Wrath ?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Great Expectations ?
    Grapes of Wrath ?
    I don't think I'd want to see Grapes of Wrath as a film. I was even disappointed by To Kill a Mockingbird and that (the film) was an accepted classic.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Trying to jam 300 pages of events described in the text into a 90 mins nearly always requires a huge amount of comprise. To me it is also why the modern day mega money box-set ready series can be so good, as they can stretch the story out over 10-15hrs.
    Agreed
This discussion has been closed.