Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Alabama result are starting to trickle in…

Comments

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Jefferson numbers just keep getting better and better for Jones - at first it looked a little ropey there. That's where he's won it.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2017
    AP have called it for Jones
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited December 2017
  • Options
    AP has called race for Jones. The woman of Alabama have spoken!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    This makes "No majority for the Senate" next year look interesting, particularly with the rules regarding the independents.
  • Options
    Jones leading by 10,000.
    Remaining votes:
    Montgomery - 45% Dem lead, 28700 pickup
    Jefferson - 40% Dem lead, 12,500 pickup
    Mobile - 16% Dem lead 6,000 pickup
    Madison - 17% Dem lead, 600 pickup
    Shelby - 18% Rep lead, 3400 drop
    Baldwin - 26% Rep lead, 900 drop
    Marshall - 45% Rep lead, 270 drop

So Jones by ~ 50,000
  • Options
    The vote # & % for Madison, Tuscaloosa, Mobile and above all Jefferson tell the tale. As in VA, the Putinists are losing the upper-income, higher-education urban-suburban-exurban vote. PLUS fact that Black voters could hardly fail to realize that Jones really DID have a chance, and that their votes really COULD make a difference in a statewide race, for the first time in decades.

Congrats to President Trumpsky and Herr Bannon for pissing away a GOP Senate seat - great work, guys, keep it up!!!
  • Options
    sorry Marshall is all in.
  • Options
    Quite incredible.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577
    Any figures for Republican alternative candidate write ins ?
  • Options
    Map of county results shows that this race broke down geographically along traditional Alabama political-social-economic lines:

>> Black belt counties, the cradle of antebellum plantation slavery noted for their rich soil and heavy African American populations, voted strongly for Jones

>> Upland counties north of Black belt mostly White & rural, went heavily for Moore, along with cluster of rural White counties in southeast AL piney woods region

>> northernmost counties in the Tennessee River Valley traditionally populist, mostly went for Moore but NOT slam-dunk

>> urban/suburban/exuban/university/high-tech counties broke for Moore, giving him statewide victory.
  • Options
    write-ins 2% just over 20k with 96% of vote reporting.
  • Options

"With 97 percent of precincts reporting, Jones has a margin of 0.7 points over Moore, and the share of write-in votes is more than double that, at around 1.7 percent."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/alabama-senate-election-results/
  • Options
    Pong said:

"With 97 percent of precincts reporting, Jones has a margin of 0.7 points over Moore, and the share of write-in votes is more than double that, at around 1.7 percent."

That really is a victory for decency; the senior senator perhaps,helped swing the election.

Trump's strong endorsement of the defeated thug makes the result particularly sweet.

• Options
    Worst for Republicans:

Jefferson - 80% of statewide performance (42% black)
    Greene - 82% (90% black)
    Lee - 86% (no idea?)
    Macon - 88% (83% black)
    Tuscaloosa - 89%
    Madison - 89%
    Montgomery - 91% (55% black)

So basically it was won and lost on Jefferson county.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Nigelb said:

Pong said:

That really is a victory for decency; the senior senator perhaps,helped swing the election.

Trump's strong endorsement of the defeated thug makes the result particularly sweet.

Not quite what I was expecting from Trump. Perhaps he's learning?

Congratulations to Doug Jones on a hard fought victory. The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win. The people of Alabama are great, and the Republicans will have another shot at this seat in a very short period of time. It never ends!

@realDonaldTrump
  • Options
    Pong said:

Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Congratulations to Doug Jones on a hard fought victory. The write-in votes played a very big factor, but a win is a win. The people of Alabama are great, and the Republicans will have another shot at this seat in a very short period of time. It never ends!

@realDonaldTrump
    No, just the defeated bully losing some of his snarl.
  • Options
    It looks like black voters won it for Jones - relative turnout was up massively in all the majority black counties, by 15-20%.
    Turnout fell in all counties that Moore won.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    Well that looked like a bit of a roller coaster ride on the betting markets. Maybe the Republicans might go for a slightly better candidate next time.
  • Options

It looks like black voters won it for Jones - relative turnout was up massively in all the majority black counties, by 15-20%.
    Turnout fell in all counties that Moore won.

Yeah. Differential turnout.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Well that looked like a bit of a roller coaster ride on the betting markets. Maybe the Republicans might go for a slightly better candidate next time.

Final margin looks like ~1.5%

Not far off a coin flip.

Silly punters.
  • Options
    the differential turnout was huge, e.g.,
    Cleburne county

2016, 2017
    GOP 5554, 2465 -56%
    Dem 847, 594 -30%

Greene
    2016, 2017
    GOP 918, 462 -50%
    Dem 3834, 3340 -13%

Randolph
    2016, 2017
    GOP 7454 3229 -57%
    Dem 2424 1692 -30%

Also Jefferson was just a disaster zone for GOP
    GOP 144136 66309 -54%
    Dem 156574 149522 -4.5%

The election right there.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

OK. Let me go out on a limb here. I think Jones does this by close to 5%. My totally hacked together spreadsheet assumes all % continue as is, and that you can simply extrapolate by % in.

It gives it to Jones by 4.8%.

This is a really fascinating race but to top it off we have a nail-biting rcs1000 vs Miscellaneous Punditry contest as well.
    So the result is kind of an unsatisfying tie halfway between the punditry and the spreadsheet.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    As things now appear:
    Yaaaay. Nice one Alabama.
  • Options
    So, Nigel Farage’s racist child molester got beaten. That is wonderful news. And now we know that Nigel really doesn’t give a monkeys about the sexual abuse of children. It’s other things that interest him.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    So the moral for the festive season is clear ....

Moore Is Less.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited December 2017

So, Nigel Farage’s racist child molester got beaten. That is wonderful news. And now we know that Nigel really doesn’t give a monkeys about the sexual abuse of children. It’s other things that interest him.

Do you have evidence for that allegation? Usually such posts get people banned from this site.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    tlg86 said:

Do you have evidence for that allegation? Usually such posts get people banned from this site.
    What part of it is contentious?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    JackW said:

Moore Is Less.

Hi Jack. A good hibernation this autumn?
  • Options
    Roger said:

tlg86 said:

Last time I looked Roy Moore hadn't been convicted of anything. Shows that the "don't post anything that might get Mike into trouble" line only applies to certain posters.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Roger said:

tlg86 said:

Last time I looked Roy Moore hadn't been convicted of anything. Shows that the "don't post anything that might get Mike into trouble" line only applies to certain posters.

In my opinion, if Nigel’s primary concern was protecting and defending the victims of child abuse he would not have backed a candidate who has been accused of child abuse. As we know, one of the reasons why so many children do not come forward about the abuse they have suffered, or are slow to do so, is because they are afraid no-one will believe them.

• Options
    Good news in the long run for the Republican Party. But they are looking at a complete hammering next year unless things change. Their opponents are evidently super-motivated.
  • Options

Good news in the long run for the Republican Party. But they are looking at a complete hammering next year unless things change. Their opponents are evidently super-motivated.

And Republicans less so. It also shows the voter suppression only gets you so far.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    A new dawn has broken, has it not. Nice to wake up to good news from the USA.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Presumably a disaster for the tax reform measures. The various drafting cock ups meaning they’ll have to be voted on again.
  • Options
    Roger said:

JackW said:

Moore Is Less.

Hi Jack. A good hibernation this autumn?
    Good morning Roger ....

I'll report back when I'm fully awaken from months of slumber ....
  • Options
    Roy Moore loses? Great result for both Democrats and Republicans
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Off topic;

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/dec/12/nigel-slater-roast-mallard-bramley-and-blueberry-sauce

"Baste the duck a couple of times as it roasts (there is less fat on a mallard than the average duck so it will appreciate this). "

How can a dead Mallard appreciate being basted?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    alex. said:

Presumably a disaster for the tax reform measures. The various drafting cock ups meaning they’ll have to be voted on again.

Jones won’t get to take his seat till Jan so the GOP have a little time
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    The perfect song for this wonderful morning:

America No Moore. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPyUa2KsITw
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Now I know I have £5 riding on this, but I think Jones might edge this.

I put forty quid on Jones @5.7 then chickened out.
  • Options
    God Bless you Alabama
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Pong said:

Off topic;

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/dec/12/nigel-slater-roast-mallard-bramley-and-blueberry-sauce

"Baste the duck a couple of times as it roasts (there is less fat on a mallard than the average duck so it will appreciate this). "

How can a dead Mallard appreciate being basted?

Are we talking about the Tories or the Blairittes?
  • Options

God Bless you Alabama

God gets cited far too many times by people in Alabama who seem oblivious to His teachings...
  • Options
    It's going to take a long time to get paid on this market. Due to the margin write in votes will need to be hand counted, as will military votes. Certification won't happen till the new year.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TheRickWilson: AHEM.

What's the RULE?

WHAT'S THE DAMN RULE?

SAY IT WITH ME, AMERICA.

*EVERYTHING*

*TRUMP*

*TOUCHES*

*DIES*
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    edited December 2017
    In othewr news, Chris Froome is difficulty over alleged doping. Looks lioke he’s used his asthma inhaler too often, or perhaps too close to a test, although one would think that was allowed for.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Roger said:

tlg86 said:

In my opinion, if Nigel’s primary concern was protecting and defending the victims of child abuse he would not have backed a candidate who has been accused of child abuse. As we know, one of the reasons why so many children do not come forward about the abuse they have suffered, or are slow to do so, is because they are afraid no-one will believe them.

A more sensible post, thank you. I’d point out that malicious allegations against prominent people such as politicians doesn’t help the situation either which is why a degree of sensitivity is needed around this matter.

FWIW think Farage was stupid to support this bloke if he did.

And on the child abuse in this country, I’m sure Griffin and perhaps Farage had their reasons for raising the issue. But the bottom line is those girls were failed by mainly Labour run councillors who had their own reasons for not acting.
  • Options

In othewr news, Chris Froome is difficulty over alleged doping. Looks lioke he’s used his asthma inhaler too often, or perhaps too close to a test, although one would think that was allowed for.

Asthmatics seem good at cycling. Perhaps I should have got into it when I was younger.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Sky have long taken the absolute piss with TUEs but it looks like CF has tested even the UCI's legendary ability to look the other.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    edited December 2017
    Well done, Doug Jones. Great to see the progressive voters of Alabama elect someone who was - to quote Trump -

"Pro-Abortion, weak on Crime, Military and Illegal Immigration, Bad for Gun Owners and Veterans and against the WALL."

Also nice to see Nigel Farage getting his fingers slammed in the proverbial car door, helping get this loser as the candidate - against the Donald's preferred choice. I wonder if Nigel will be getting a White House Christmas card this year.....?

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    tlg86 said:

Asthmatics seem good at cycling. Perhaps I should have got into it when I was younger.
    If you, like me, have been ‘blessed’ with wonky lungs, I sympathise. I noticed that when I actually started cycling ‘properly’ .... 10 miles to school and so on ....... my asthma improved considerably and while I never went in for cycle racing I did do quite a lot of cycle touring. Of course, after a few years it was much more ‘manly’ to have first a motor bike and then a car! Much easier to carry young ladies about, too.
  • Options
    Has Moore conceded that all the allegations against him were true yet? After all, the people have spoken.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Fantastic news from America.
    Next year a wave? I think so.
    Dems to control House of R are value I reckon.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,266
    Delighted that Jones has done it and disappointed that Wm Hill once again didn't have a market.

From the NYT: "A former federal prosecutor, Mr. Jones won convictions of two Ku Klux Klan members for the 1963 bombing of Birmingham’s 16th Street Baptist Church that killed four girls,"

The black vote seems to have remembered this and come out very strongly despite attempts at voter suppression. The contrast with Moore who was removed as a Judge twice for behaviour politely described as eccentric was strong even before the sexual harassment claims. The Republicans really need to focus on how degenerate nutters like this get selected in the first place. At the very least this election has shown that there can be consequences for such selections, even in the reddest states.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

If you, like me, have been ‘blessed’ with wonky lungs, I sympathise. I noticed that when I actually started cycling ‘properly’ .... 10 miles to school and so on ....... my asthma improved considerably and while I never went in for cycle racing I did do quite a lot of cycle touring. Of course, after a few years it was much more ‘manly’ to have first a motor bike and then a car! Much easier to carry young ladies about, too.
    I do have asthma but it only really affects me when I have a cold. I think Paul Scholes has asthma so it certainly can be overcome (at least by skill). But the TUE system is a joke. All the other competitors should be allowed to use the same drugs even if they aren’t asthmatic.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/91436/excl-labour-frontbench-split-kate-osamor-backs

The first Labour frontbencher backs BDS (boycott, divestment and sanctions) for Israel.

I suppose it was inevitable...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    rkrkrk said:

The Dems still have to overcome some completely egregious jerrymandering of Republican seats in the House though.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SimonMaloy: as far as own goals go, "make a red-state senator AG who then recuses himself from Russia inquiries and opens up the path to a special counsel while the whacko child molester nominated to replace him suffers a historic defeat" is pretty satisfying
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    RoyalBlue said:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/91436/excl-labour-frontbench-split-kate-osamor-backs

The first Labour frontbencher backs BDS (boycott, divestment and sanctions) for Israel.

I suppose it was inevitable...

Some of those north London seats may well stay blue.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

The Dems still have to overcome some completely egregious jerrymandering of Republican seats in the House though.
    Does there not come a tipping point where gerrymandered seats are so extreme that they all fall together on the tiniest of swings?
  • Options
    Despite Trump
    "Objective reality exists, says UK minister Matt Hancock"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42322191
    "And thankfully in the UK we do have a regulated broadcast sector, which provides for a very significant proportion of trusted news."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,296

A lot of cyclists seem to have quite severe asthma.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Huzzah! Wish I'd got on sooner but always nice to have a winning bet :)
  • Options

Despite Trump
    "And thankfully in the UK we do have a regulated broadcast sector, which provides for a very significant proportion of trusted news."

Love or hate the BBC something isn’t right whenever the R4 Today prog gives an RT rep a hard time about impartiality and state funding.
  • Options
    So in the end it was just about a coin flip. Hat-tip to those PBers who suggested the outsider of two was the value.

Modesty prevents me from naming any......{cough....smirk}.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Nigelb said:

Pong said:

@realDonaldTrump
    No, just the defeated bully losing some of his snarl.
    More likely someone wrote it for him.
  • Options

So he’ll be a lay for the Sports Personality award then.
  • Options

Something potentially dodgy going on in cycling? Say it ain't so.

As sports go it's a bit of a joke in that regard, even more than most.
  • Options
    Splendid rezult - and hopefully for their sakes the Republicans will learn the lesson all parties get reminded of from time to time, of not enough, that sometimes a candidate can in fact be too crap even in your safe areas.
  • Options
    Waking up to the news. Sensational and wonderful news. 51-49 in the Senate.

Although BBC seem to be saying Moore might force a recount.
  • Options
    Looks like the number of spoiled ballots and write ins is higher than the margin of victory. Could be a while before we get an official result.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It's no technically asthma. It's classed as an 'exercise induced wheeze'. A huge number of high performance athletes have it. It's not a bullshit made up condition - when you push your body to the limit shit happens.

The question then is, should people who develop exercise induced wheeze get the benefit of an inhaler to help them or should they just deal with it?
  • Options

Waking up to the news. Sensational and wonderful news. 51-49 in the Senate.

Although BBC seem to be saying Moore might force a recount.

It need to be .5% difference for an auto recount. Currently the gap is larger but there are military votes to count and write ins which happen next week.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    kle4 said:

Splendid rezult - and hopefully for their sakes the Republicans will learn the lesson all parties get reminded of from time to time, of not enough, that sometimes a candidate can in fact be too crap even in your safe areas.

That's the fifth Senate race since 2010 that the Republicans have thrown away by selecting a muppet.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    TOPPING said:

Yes, it's almost mandatory.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I still cannot get over the revelation from that clip TSE posted that Moore and his spokesman genuinely believed Muslims cannot be elected officials because they thought you had to swear an oath on a Bible, that in effect only Christians can hold office. Obviously the sexual stuff is more important if indeed it is true, and I know America is more Christian than us, but that view on swearing an oath would speak to just how dumb the man is, a whole separate issue.

Edit: that's what his spokesman claimed at least . If Moore knows that is not true then he's not necessarily dumb, just lying about his horribly racist reasoning.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Despite Trump

Love or hate the BBC something isn’t right whenever the R4 Today prog gives an RT rep a hard time about impartiality and state funding.
    If you're comparing Russia Today with The Radio 4 Today programme, you're off your trolley.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, not sure if it's still the case but in one state legislature (Texas, I think) atheists couldn't hold office.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Looks like the number of spoiled ballots and write ins is higher than the margin of victory. Could be a while before we get an official result.

Jan 3rd at the earliest.
  • Options
    Lovely to see a GOP candidate like Moore lose in the Deep South. Some good news for once.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Mr. kle4, not sure if it's still the case but in one state legislature (Texas, I think) atheists couldn't hold office.

Terrible. But they do have a Muslim member of congress iirc. For a more diverse country than us I'm surprised there are not more, and more open atheists, at least at congress level even if it precluded them from a top job.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    It's heading the same way in England with the political parties.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Despite Trump

If you're comparing Russia Today with The Radio 4 Today programme, you're off your trolley.
    Why?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Jones' victory is a big boost for the Democrats following their Virginia and New Jersey governor wins and gives them an outside chance of taking the Senate in the midterms as well as their already strong chances of taking the House.

However as Trump has tweeted after congratulating Jones the Republicans will have a good chance of taking it back in due course as Elizabeth Warren won back the Massachusetts Senate seat for the Democrats Republican Scott Brown won in 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/940795587733151744
  • Options

As I understand it the tories made up some ground with non whites, now it's moving away again - so it might not be a permanent trend, though we can hope we don't keep a racial divide electorally.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

That's the fifth Senate race since 2010 that the Republicans have thrown away by selecting a muppet.
    A shocking and disreputable slur against muppets.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Fools. This was presumably the worst instance, if they don't learn here they never will.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Gerrymandering only helps the GOP in close races, with the Democrats now having such a big lead nationwide ironically it just makes a Democratic landslide more likely next year as they have more safe districts than the GOP ie areas with big minority majorities
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

Gerrymandering could help Dems if they have a wave year.
    If they win nationally by 6+ points I think effect will reverse.
    Currently they are +10 in the RCP generic average.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jones' victory is a big boost for the Democrats following their Virginia and New Jersey governor wins and gives them an outside chance of taking the Senate in the midterms as well as their already strong chances of taking the House.

However as Trump has tweeted after congratulating Jones the Republicans will have a good chance of taking it back in due course as Elizabeth Warren won back the Massachusetts Senate seat for the Democrats Republican Scott Brown won in 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/940795587733151744

I have this morning put some pocket money on Dems taking Senate. 3.7 at BF.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Yep - gerrymandering effectively increases/maximises the number of potentially winnable seats at the expense of safe seats. Increases the number of marginally held seats but removes the firewall protection against landslides under FPTP.
  • Options
    alex. said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Yep - gerrymandering effectively increases/maximises the number of potentially winnable seats at the expense of safe seats. Increases the number of marginally held seats but removes the firewall protection against landslides under FPTP.
    Id never considered that. Interesting.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited December 2017
    kle4 said:

As I understand it the tories made up some ground with non whites, now it's moving away again - so it might not be a permanent trend, though we can hope we don't keep a racial divide electorally.
    Race doesn't tell you a lot in a British context; national origin and religion do.

The problem the Tories have is that the minorities which are (broadly speaking) economically successful have fewer children than those that aren't. A Tory leader with some kind of strategic vision would realise this and reform immigration policy accordingly. Unfortunately, most don't think in generational terms.
This discussion has been closed.