Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Huge blow for Trump as GOP loses the Alabama Senate election o

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations to those who got this contest right. I didn't play, because I didn't have a good feel for how the good people of Alabama would behave in this extraordinary circus of an election.
  • Options

The fundamental question of a 'meaningful vote' remains, though. What if the deal negotiated is declined?

A UK vote cannot bind the EU. Would a no vote mean no deal, or the status quo?

Possibly the worst of all worlds - the UK Brexiting on WTO terms - and a Government that has fallen as a result....

The reason for reverting to WTO terms would be the failure of the EU 27 to compromise on trade terms (many like France are after all protectionist).

So why would the government fall?
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

UK unemployment rate falls to 1.43 million in the three months to October - the joint lowest it's been since 1975

So what’s going to happen when the East Europeans go (are sent) home?
    The servant shortage will be simply unbearable.
    Roger will have to open - and serve! - his own champagne.

The horror....
    http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/michelin-restaurants-in-britain-how-will-brexit-impact-uk-fine-dining-1-4839214
  • Options
    Surely two Republicans need to rebel not one as in the event of a tie the Vice President is the tiebreaker.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

IanB2 said:

calum said:

Seems to be daily Catalonian polls - no significant shift as yet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_regional_election,_2017#Opinion_polls

Over on the right hand rail, Puigdemont's lot are slowly coming up behind the leaders.

The key thing is the vote percentage - if the parties backing UDI get over 50% between them then the potential for ongoing trouble is very big. If they don't. it still means confusion, but there is no mandate for UDI. Just about every poll has shown a slight drop in percentage support for the UDI parties. The other interesting thing is that recent polls have shown that Ciutadans might well emerge as the largest single party - thanks largely to a fall in the PP vote. It could be that we will see further leakage from PP to Cs as a result.

Any sign of how things might be unconfused?
  • Options

Roy Moore isn't only a racist, he's a homophobe and allegedly has, ahem, very dubious views about women. Basically, he ticks every bigot's box. So if you are a black male who hates women and homosexuals above all else, Roy was your man.

One woman on TV last night said she voted for him because the Lord believes in redemption.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

I may well be wrong on this because it was news to me, but I gather from a comment made by Barnier the other day that only a single 1 year extension is allowed under Article 50.

You could probably file that alongside the issue of Article 50 revocation: untested in court, but it'll be made to happen if the political will is there on all sides.

Anyway, doesn't really matter while Corbyn is leader. There's surely no way a deal gets voted down in the current HoC, knowing that'd it lead to a potentially disastrous game of chicken with the EU.
    Chlorinated chicken?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Roy Moore's brother on the election result...
    "It might not happen on this earth right now, but Doug Jones will pay for what he’s saying. And them Democrat people that’s out there and those Republicans in Washington. They’re going to have to answer to God.”

Thank goodness -as I understand it God forgives.
    An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

IanB2 said:

7% of black men still voted for Moore. What did they see in the guy??

3% of black women did, which is even less explicable.
    Those percentages are in the same range as UKIP voters who supported Remain. In politics people have all sorts of weird reasons for their choices. For example over the years I have met a handful of people who made their choice solely because I shared a first name or some other personal detail with one of their relatives.
    Yes I once met a "normally Conservative" voter who supported me because I was taller than the other candidate. I looked at her in bemusement but didn't argue.
    Does that mean that Labour usually nominate short candidates in Broxtowe and if so, will you be reviewing your practice in the light of that?
    They take the short money so why not?
    It is a well known effect in voting that the candidate first on list gets a slight uptick just on that basis alone.
    A much more significant effect in multi-seat elections than for a single member constituency. People who take the trouble to go along to vote know who they are going to cast at least one vote for; it's when they have 'spare' votes that they look to the top of the ballot paper. Most commonly this happens when a minor party such as the Greens only puts up one person in a multi-member ward.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Roy Moore isn't only a racist, he's a homophobe and allegedly has, ahem, very dubious views about women. Basically, he ticks every bigot's box. So if you are a black male who hates women and homosexuals above all else, Roy was your man.

One woman on TV last night said she voted for him because the Lord believes in redemption.
    Isn't repentance a necessary part of that procedure... ?

• Options
    Mr. B, yes indeed.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Did the GOP not have a half sane candidate to put forwards?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

RoyalBlue said:

UK unemployment rate falls to 1.43 million in the three months to October - the joint lowest it's been since 1975

The horror....
    http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/culture/michelin-restaurants-in-britain-how-will-brexit-impact-uk-fine-dining-1-4839214
    Everyone will have to go to the Fat Duck and hope the Norovirus doesn't come back
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Mandelson?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Isn't repentance a necessary part of that procedure... ?

Not in Alabama...
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Virgil Van Dijk is 5/1 to get a card tonight against Leicester on Betfair.

The last time he played against the thick thug Vardy, this happened;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xED1143RMcI
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

The horror....
    And yet Chinese and Indian restaurants have prospered despite China and India being outside the EU.
  • Options

Andrew said:

And the EU would tell us to FO, take it or leave it.

It's a meaningless at best, disasterous at worst vote.

Maybe - Brussels was certainly keen from early on that the UK doesn't take the piss with extensions (or a legally questionable Article 50 retraction) as a negotiating tool.

Or: perhaps they might view it as potential to string out the process. Say a 1 year extension, which then makes further extensions more palatable in future, which then opens the political possibility of the UK overturning the whole thing in a (distant) future referendum.
    I may well be wrong on this because it was news to me, but I gather from a comment made by Barnier the other day that only a single 1 year extension is allowed under Article 50.
    No, there's no limit in the Article. The text of A50(3) is:

3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

Whether the Council would be willing to consider and grant an extension longer than one year is a different, political question (and not one for Barnier, for that matter).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    MaxPB said:

Did the GOP not have a half sane candidate to put forwards?
    Having one available, and choosing them are two entirely different things.

For now the Republicans are the party of Trump and Bannon. It will probably take a number of defeats along these lines to change that.
  • Options

Surely two Republicans need to rebel not one as in the event of a tie the Vice President is the tiebreaker.

Yes, it does. But I think it probably means that Pence is going to be spending a lot of time in the Senate chamber because of that fact.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    edited December 2017
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

calum said:

Seems to be daily Catalonian polls - no significant shift as yet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_regional_election,_2017#Opinion_polls

Over on the right hand rail, Puigdemont's lot are slowly coming up behind the leaders.

The key thing is the vote percentage - if the parties backing UDI get over 50% between them then the potential for ongoing trouble is very big. If they don't. it still means confusion, but there is no mandate for UDI. Just about every poll has shown a slight drop in percentage support for the UDI parties. The other interesting thing is that recent polls have shown that Ciutadans might well emerge as the largest single party - thanks largely to a fall in the PP vote. It could be that we will see further leakage from PP to Cs as a result.

Any sign of how things might be unconfused?

Nope - looking at the polls it is hard to see how confusion will not reign for a while yet. If the UDI parties win a majority of the votes and seats, then Spain has a real crisis on its hands. If they win most seats, but not most votes (the result most polls indicate), then there are more years of stand-off ahead, but not much will actually happen. The one possible way through is for the PP vote to collapse totally and for Cs and PSC to get over 50 seats between them. That might see the PSC leader Miquel Iceta - who is the most popular politician in Catalonia these days - voted into the position of president as a result of abstentions from the smaller parties in the new Parliament, and leading a coalition in which Cs is the biggest party. That is unlikely, though, as PSC and Cs have very different views on finance, economics etc; and if it did happen the coalition would be a minority and therefore totally unstable.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,883

King Cole, I recall a comment along those lines. Investment in excellent new machinery was rendered worthless because suddenly there were large numbers of men willing to wash cars for far less than had been the case.

It would have been rather annoying to have dropped six figures on an automatic car wash just before a massive influx of cheaper human car washers. Probably a few annoyed banks that lent the money too.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited December 2017
    As one of their special CHRISTMAS deals, you can download Die Hard on iTunes for 1.99 today...
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Saw the trailer for the new Churchill film "Darkest Hour". Makes you realise how ungrateful the EU is for everything the UK did in WW2.
  • Options
    List of F1 driver concerns is pretty sensible:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42314309
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Scott_P said:

As one of their special CHRISTMAS deals, you can download Die Hard on iTunes for 1.99 today...

Yippee-Ki-Yay, melon farmers....
  • Options

The fundamental question of a 'meaningful vote' remains, though. What if the deal negotiated is declined?

A UK vote cannot bind the EU. Would a no vote mean no deal, or the status quo?

Possibly the worst of all worlds - the UK Brexiting on WTO terms - and a Government that has fallen as a result....

The reason for reverting to WTO terms would be the failure of the EU 27 to compromise on trade terms (many like France are after all protectionist).

So why would the government fall?
    Toys out the pram by Remainers?
  • Options
    He's awake...

@realDonaldTrump: The reason I originally endorsed Luther Strange (and his numbers went up mightily), is that I said Roy Moore will not be able to win the General Election. I was right! Roy worked hard but the deck was stacked against him!

https://twitter.com/danwlin/status/940786965972123656
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    @JonnyJimmy - That's not exactly Roy Keane on Alf-Inge Håland.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2017
    Same stats, two totally different spins...

Rising pay begins to catch up with inflation as unemployment remains at 42-year low

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/13/lagging-wage-growth-set-close-gap-climbing-inflation-ease-strain/

While over at the BBC...

UK wage growth continues to lag inflation

yet a workforce that's shrinking....How can that be happening? Well one possible answer you may already have guessed. It has a lot to do with the slowdown in immigration. And it rhymes with "exit".

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42337659
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    saddo said:

Saw the trailer for the new Churchill film "Darkest Hour". Makes you realise how ungrateful the EU is for everything the UK did in WW2.

And everything the US has done since..
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Farage seems to have lost the Daily Express (To May) as well..
  • Options
    saddo said:

If it wasn't for Churchill, we'd all be speaking German...

https://twitter.com/judithflanders/status/940853682421354496
  • Options
    saddo said:

Should we expect Germany to be grateful?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited December 2017
    tlg86 said:

@JonnyJimmy - That's not exactly Roy Keane on Alf-Inge Håland.

No. But it's clearly deliberate, and he doesn't get close to the ball.

It put VVD out for over 6 months, and made him miss the league cup final v ManU. Without the injury there may have been an irresistible offer from a big club for him.

I can't imagine he'll allow Vardy a comfortable evening.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited December 2017
    saddo said:

At the start of the war, it looked as if we abandoned Europe to its fate.

After D-Day, and this is what a lot of people forget, liberating Europe involved killing or blowing up a lot of what we were liberating, and which had lived in relative peace for several years apart from the odd incident where the local resistance groups took a night off from fighting each other, and killed some Nazis, which left villagers to face reprisals.
  • Options
    All the doom and gloom from the media over the cost of living needs a context.

Inflation at 3.1% - Wage at 2.5%

So someone on £20,000 is facing an increase of £120 or £10 per month.

Hardly food bank stuff.

What am I missing
  • Options
    @jonallendc: In Midland City, Alabama, Steve Bannon goes after @JoeNBC, saying he got into better schools than Joe could have—Georgetown and Harvard. This might be the wrong place for that attack: Joe went to the University of Alabama.
  • Options

saddo said:

Should we expect Germany to be grateful?
    Yes - had we rolled over they would have endured decades of fascist rule.

• Options

Hardly food bank stuff.

What am I missing

Could be the difference between extra smashed avocado for tea and a new iphone.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Scott_P said:

@jonallendc: In Midland City, Alabama, Steve Bannon goes after @JoeNBC, saying he got into better schools than Joe could have—Georgetown and Harvard. This might be the wrong place for that attack: Joe went to the University of Alabama.

To be fair, University of Alabama isn't exactly a very highly ranked institution. Unless you are going there to try to make the NFL.
  • Options
    Seen a trailer for Darkest Hour. I'm really not much of a cinema-goer (before the recent Star Wars films I think the last one I'd seen was Return of the King), but it looks rather good.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Hardly food bank stuff.

What am I missing

It's in the context of a long squeeze on wages.....and, forgive me for generalising, people like us enjoyed good real wage growth right through their working lives. To hit a wall on wage growth for ten years or more is a new thing
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    A few hundred quid ain't bad Mike..,..

I made a tidy, similar sum without any dramas. I just thought there was value on neck and neck polling and woke up to hear the news.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Hardly food bank stuff.

What am I missing

That many have not had a real wage rise in seven years.The accumulation with rises in household bills and food effects those struggling the most .
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Seen a trailer for Darkest Hour. I'm really not much of a cinema-goer (before the recent Star Wars films I think the last one I'd seen was Return of the King), but it looks rather good.

What amuses me is the way it now seems obligatory for successful actors to play Churchill one they get to a certain age. Winston has become the new Lear.
  • Options
    F1: Hamilton endorses my tips (in general terms...):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42338216

Reckons Red Bull and McLaren could be in the title fight next year. That said, every F1 driver likes sandbagging his own team whilst proclaiming how excellent the opposition will be.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139
    edited December 2017

That has to be a line fed to her in her church.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

What amuses me is the way it now seems obligatory for successful actors to play Churchill one they get to a certain age. Winston has become the new Lear.
    Wait for Glenda Jackson to play him.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Norman Smith badly exposed in interview with Oliver Letwin just now. Made to look a complete mindless moron.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Hardly food bank stuff.

What am I missing

It's in the context of a long squeeze on wages.....and, forgive me for generalising, people like us enjoyed good real wage growth right through their working lives. To hit a wall on wage growth for ten years or more is a new thing
    I agree but to some, especially those on the National Living wage, have seen higher wage growth than inflation over the last couple of years
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited December 2017
    Regarding Roy Moore, I expect every Republican candidate from now on to suddenly have unproven accusations appear from years ago shortly after nomination. Of course none of them will be proven and will be abandoned soon after the election (remember similar against Trump which came to nothing after he won).

It's such an effective election winner that I expect the Democrats to pull it every time. What amazes me is that anyone actually falls for it.
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, care to elaborate?
  • Options
    Damien Green on the front bench
  • Options
    Re Darkest Hour -- the other thing people forget is most Conservatives hated Churchill at the time.
  • Options

....every F1 driver likes sandbagging his own team whilst proclaiming how excellent the opposition will be.

They are hardly going to say "you could put a seventeen year old in this car and win all season - it is so much better than the shit we have to drive against.... So, how many millions are you going to pay me each race next year?"!

• Options
    ICYMI - This was just before the polls closed yesterday

https://twitter.com/mrnickharvey/status/940712181699620864
  • Options

Re Darkest Hour -- the other thing people forget is most Conservatives hated Churchill at the time.

Churchill was of course a Liberal MP and Cabinet Minister before switching to Conservative.
  • Options
    Next The Express will learn about the benefits of immigration

https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/940578744959344640
  • Options

Churchill was of course a Liberal MP and Cabinet Minister before switching to Conservative.
    And had been a Conservative MP before switching to the Liberals.

As a consequence, that meant that he sat on the government's side with only a few short breaks right through from 1900-1945.
  • Options
    For Trump, it's just about ratings, isn't it?
  • Options

Damien Green on the front bench

I hope he is sitting on his hands.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited December 2017

saddo said:

After D-Day, and this is what a lot of people forget, liberating Europe involved killing or blowing up a lot of what we were liberating, and which had lived in relative peace for several years apart from the odd incident where the local resistance groups took a night off from fighting each other, and killed some Nazis, which left villagers to face reprisals.
    How did it look like we had abandoned them? Hitler was very keen for us to do just that and pretty much offered the status quo post Dunkirk if I recall correctly ie you leave us alone and we will do likewise. Wouldn't have been viable long term for us, but it wouldn't have been unreasonable for us short term to take it. That would've abandoned Europe. We didn't do that.

Western Normandy, post D Day, was blown to smithereens, sure. And clearly other individual parts were too as matters progressed (Arnhem for one) and probably chunks of the ports such as Brest, Dunkirk, etc that held out till May 45, but given Caen to the German border (ie 95% of France and Belgium and a bit of the southern Netherlands) was basically liberated on the bounce in about four weeks from mid Aug to mid Sep 44 the destruction was surely overall (stress overall) very light compared with what might have been. Denmark and Norway were very lightly hit indeed. Once the Allies passed the German border I doubt they were very worried about damage. as a priority per se.

None of that helps if it was your house or loved ones in the way of harm, but I struggle to believe the average W European was thinking in 1946 "I wish the Brits and Americans had left us to our fate, the damage was too much"
  • Options

"Hated" is too strong a word. "Were deeply sceptical of" would be closer to the mark.
  • Options

And had been a Conservative MP before switching to the Liberals.

As a consequence, that meant that he sat on the government's side with only a few short breaks right through from 1900-1945.
    We'll put him down as a Don't Know.
  • Options

Indeed. His own constituency party put forward a motion of no confidence in him as its member of parliament - at the time he was campaigning against national party policy of appeasement, shortly before the war - something that for the Conservative Party is very rare indeed. Even more remarkably, the no confidence vote was defeated by just a single vote amongst his local members, after a fair bit of arm twisting by the party chairman who still has a hall named after him in Woodford.
  • Options

saddo said:

It never for a minute looked as if we had abandoned them to their fate. We were right there beside the French and Belgians from the start, not forgetting that we went to war in the first place to fulfil a promise to the Poles.

That is not to say we should really be using it as any sort of excuse or reason in the current political negotiations. It is now history. But you do have an extremely warped view of the war that bears little relationship to reality. .
  • Options
    edited December 2017

"Hated" is too strong a word. "Were deeply sceptical of" would be closer to the mark.
    It takes more than that for a Tory local party to lay down a no confidence motion on its own MP. And they were the ones who knew him personally.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

For Trump, it's just about ratings, isn't it?
    Roy Moore can't win an election. That's why I backed the candidate who can't win a primary instead
  • Options
    edited December 2017

saddo said:

It never for a minute looked as if we had abandoned them to their fate. We were right there beside the French and Belgians from the start, not forgetting that we went to war in the first place to fulfil a promise to the Poles.

That is not to say we should really be using it as any sort of excuse or reason in the current political negotiations. It is now history. But you do have an extremely warped view of the war that bears little relationship to reality. .
    Absolutely. We hosted the exiled governments from many occupied countries, funded radio broadcasts in their languages, funded, armed and supported their resistance movements, etc, from the very beginning. And put up with a lot of grief from De Gaulle and his people for sake of maintaining good relations with our defeated allies.

What the OP is probably referring to is some concern prior to and after Dunkirk that we had - sensibly (but contrary to some earlier promises, I believe) - been quick to pull everything out of France when it's cause looked lost.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Next The Express will learn about the benefits of immigration

twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/940578744959344640

They are repeating the BBC review on the Rand Corporation report...which has massive shall we say holes in it.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

saddo said:

How did it look like we had abandoned them? Hitler was very keen for us to do just that and pretty much offered the status quo post Dunkirk if I recall correctly ie you leave us alone and we will do likewise. Wouldn't have been viable long term for us, but it wouldn't have been unreasonable for us short term to take it. That would've abandoned Europe. We didn't do that.
    Look at it from the point of view of the countries that were overrun. Czechoslovakia of course was handed over before the start. We declared war in support of Poland but did not actually fight for or defend that country. That was the so-called phony war. Belgium was given up without much of a fight, and then we withdrew from France. We invaded Norway but were soon beaten. Ironically, it was the Norway campaign that led directly to Chamberlain's resignation and Churchill becoming prime minister, yet it was Churchill who was the architect of that military fiasco.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    welshowl said:

saddo said:

Western Normandy, post D Day, was blown to smithereens, sure. And clearly other individual parts were too as matters progressed (Arnhem for one) and probably chunks of the ports such as Brest, Dunkirk, etc that held out till May 45, but given Caen to the German border (ie 95% of France and Belgium and a bit of the southern Netherlands) was basically liberated on the bounce in about four weeks from mid Aug to mid Sep 44 the destruction was surely overall (stress overall) very light compared with what might have been. Denmark and Norway were very lightly hit indeed. Once the Allies passed the German border I doubt they were very worried about damage. as a priority per se.

None of that helps if it was your house or loved ones in the way of harm, but I struggle to believe the average W European was thinking in 1946 "I wish the Brits and Americans had left us to our fate, the damage was too much"
    We absolutely pasted all the transport hubs across Western Europe for months before and after D-Day. We bombed over 1500 urban areas, and killed nearly 70,000 civilians in France alone.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Indeed. His own constituency party put forward a motion of no confidence in him as its member of parliament - at the time he was campaigning against national party policy of appeasement, shortly before the war - something that for the Conservative Party is very rare indeed. Even more remarkably, the no confidence vote was defeated by just a single vote amongst his local members, after a fair bit of arm twisting by the party chairman who still has a hall named after him in Woodford.
    Crikey that's a butterfly's wing beat moment. One vote swapping sides in an obscure meeting in Essex (?) on a single night 1934 or whenever it was, and the world might look very different.

There again I think it was Eden worked out at dinner with Hitler in 1935 that they had been opposite each other at some point in WW1 in the trenches, and apparently when he recounted this in the 50's to some French (or Belgian?) diplomats the horrified reaction was "and you missed him!"
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,883

....every F1 driver likes sandbagging his own team whilst proclaiming how excellent the opposition will be.

They are hardly going to say "you could put a seventeen year old in this car and win all season - it is so much better than the shit we have to drive against.... So, how many millions are you going to pay me each race next year?"!

Hamilton’s rumoured to be on around $40m a year at Mercedes, I’m sure he’ll agree that only he can deliver them another pair of titles next year.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

welshowl said:

saddo said:

Look at it from the point of view of the countries that were overrun. Czechoslovakia of course was handed over before the start. We declared war in support of Poland but did not actually fight for or defend that country. That was the so-called phony war. Belgium was given up without much of a fight, and then we withdrew from France. We invaded Norway but were soon beaten. Ironically, it was the Norway campaign that led directly to Chamberlain's resignation and Churchill becoming prime minister, yet it was Churchill who was the architect of that military fiasco.
    Yes I can see all that, but that wasn't the intent that was the fortunes of war (or the distinct lack of them).
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

Crikey that's a butterfly's wing beat moment. One vote swapping sides in an obscure meeting in Essex (?) on a single night 1934 or whenever it was, and the world might look very different.

There again I think it was Eden worked out at dinner with Hitler in 1935 that they had been opposite each other at some point in WW1 in the trenches, and apparently when he recounted this in the 50's to some French (or Belgian?) diplomats the horrified reaction was "and you missed him!"
    I don't know Tory party rules well enough to know whether the vote would have any practical consequences, or was just symbolic. Nevertheless it would have been a remarkable blow to his credibility/reputation that might have reduced the chance of his subsequently becoming a PM - an appointment that at the time was already as unlikely.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

welshowl said:

saddo said:

We absolutely pasted all the transport hubs across Western Europe for months before and after D-Day. We bombed over 1500 urban areas, and killed nearly 70,000 civilians in France alone.
    Sure, and terrible of course. But if I had the choice of 70,000 of us now losing our lives in bombing as the price for removing a regime as uniquely evil as it was and removing the fear it must've engendered- I'd take it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited December 2017
    IanB2 said:

welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

I don't know Tory party rules well enough to know whether the vote would have any practical consequences, or was just symbolic. Nevertheless it would have been a remarkable blow to his credibility/reputation that might have reduced the chance of his subsequently becoming a PM - an appointment that at the time was already as unlikely.
    Among the one-time favourites (at least in his own mind) to reach Number 10 was "Soapy" Sam Hoare, who presumably is some sort of ancestor to one of pb's finest, who might have more insight into murky goings on in the late 30s into 1940.

Edit: Soapy.
  • Options
    What has Margaret from Margate been writing to Jezza about this week?
  • Options
    Comedian Peter Kay has announced he is cancelling all upcoming work projects, including his stand-up tour, "due to unforeseen family circumstances".

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42339698

This really is the tour that doesn't tour....
  • Options
    welshowl said:

mwadams said:

welshowl said:

saddo said:

Sure, and terrible of course. But if I had the choice of 70,000 of us now losing our lives in bombing as the price for removing a regime as uniquely evil as it was and removing the fear it must've engendered- I'd take it.
    Sure, in the abstract, but I suspect that being on the receiving end would probably have hardened a lot of opinion. "A plague on all of you."
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited December 2017
    welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

I believe it was much later than that - post Munich agreement - ie late 1938 or early 1939.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2017
    https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/940920486275325952

"Rent controls... result in reducing the number of homes that are available for people who want to be able to have accommodation and a roof over their own head"

The prime minister actually said that.

She views shelter an aspiration rather than a right or a need.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited December 2017
    Pong said:

twitter.com/daily_politics/status/940920486275325952

"Rent controls... result in reducing the number of homes that are available for people who want to be able to have accommodation and a roof over their own head"

She also said "It is the Conservatives that are delivering the homes that people need".
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong you are trying every hard but it is obvious what May both meant and indeed said was that it reduces the number of people with a roof over their heads.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Rather more important than your absurd interpretation of her phraseology is that she's right.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    RobD said:

Pong said:

twitter.com/daily_politics/status/940920486275325952

She also said "It is the Conservatives that are delivering the homes that people need".
    Can she get onto my vendors xD ?
  • Options
    @PippaCrerar: Tory Remainer @Anna_Soubry says "nobody wants to be disloyal" to Govt as she calls on PM to accept Dominic Grieve amendment on #BrexitDeal vote "in spirit of unity" #PMQs
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

We're talking 1938, after Munich, not 1934! I did a bit of checking. Several of his branches (presumably what we would now call wards) did actually carry hostile motions against Churchill. According to the Jenkins biography, he won the main vote 100 to 44, so it is probable that my recollection of the single vote refers to one of the branches.

Historians believe Churchill's intention was to form an alternative local party and go to a by-election, if defeated (his chances were by no means guaranteed, Tory appeasers won most of the by-elections fought that year against the Churchill-ites, even where Liberal and Labour stood aside, as in Kinross & W Perth). He had already made overtures seeking Liberal support in such an event. However Tory government whips would have controlled when it would have been called.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Hmm....PM rebuffs call by @Anna_Soubry to accept “meaningful vote” amendment. Sounds like Govt going to try and tough this one out #PMQs
  • Options
    Pong said:

Odd you haven't picked up on Labour's Shadow Housing Minister 'that fewer people owning their own home isn't such a bad thing'

Given your interest in the housing market, you've not picked up on Labour's plans to reduces the availability of mortgages.

Also can you direct me to your comments criticising the house price increases that we saw under the last Labour government?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Pong said:

Odd you haven't picked up on Labour's Shadow Housing Minister 'that fewer people owning their own home isn't such a bad thing'

Given your interest in the housing market, you've not picked up on Labour's plans to reduces the availability of mortgages.

Also can you direct me to your comments criticising the house price increases that we saw under the last Labour government?
    Owning a home and having a roof over your head aren't the same thing
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Shame Lesta Liz is a lightweight, otherwise she'd be queen of the world...

or is it more important to elect a capable, competent person (who also happens to be female)?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708

Scott_P said:

Yippee-Ki-Yay, melon farmers....
    I believe it is Mister Falcon.....

Anyway, a great CHRISTMAS movie......
  • Options

TGOHF said:
    Shame Lesta Liz is a lightweight, otherwise she'd be queen of the world...

or is it more important to elect a capable, competent person (who also happens to be female)?
    That would make a nice change....
This discussion has been closed.