Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bookies holding back payment to Alabama punters because the re

124»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Thinking about the timing, the meaningful vote will have to come very early in the ratification process, so there won't be much immediate 'cliff edge' pressure to discourage MPs from voting it down.

We know for sure that the deal will include payments and a status quo transition, but no detailed trade agreement, so the mood to reject the deal might be quite strong, which would lead us towards a high-stakes 11th hour stand off.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2017

GIN1138 said:

Some on the EU are mad enough to try it. Hopefully common sense will prevail but the Tory rebels have certainly made it much more likely it'll be no deal rather than a sensible compromise.

People self-harm when they feel they have no control over their lives. It's a human response: "I can't control anything else, but I can control what I do to myself". Remainers are self-harming because they lost the referendum, and they are trying to do something anything that puts them back in control. Even if it only actually makes things worse.

You describe the self harming of the June 2016 referendum very well.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

It is funny how rebelling is the right thing to do, when it isn't your own rebels of course.
    It's funny how this sky reporter keeps reporting the negatives of leave and people on here think he's remain/leave neutral.
    People on here think he's neutral? News to me :D
    lol
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Alistair said:

All those comments about the legistlation sailing through untroubled have aged well.

That depends what you, or anyone who said it, meant. If only one amendment, however significant, is lost, then it has effectively sailed though untroubled. If someone envisaged no losses or climbdowns at all, sure, that is wrong.
  • Options
    I think the Hodge is nervous that the Tory Right might do something silly.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Some on the EU are mad enough to try it. Hopefully common sense will prevail but the Tory rebels have certainly made it much more likely it'll be no deal rather than a sensible compromise.

People self-harm when they feel they have no control over their lives. It's a human response: "I can't control anything else, but I can control what I do to myself". Remainers are self-harming because they lost the referendum, and they are trying to do something anything that puts them back in control. Even if it only actually makes things worse.

Classy, doc.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

It is funny how rebelling is the right thing to do, when it isn't your own rebels of course.
    It's funny how this sky reporter keeps reporting the negatives of leave and people on here think he's remain/leave neutral.
    Faisal Islam is Juncker's pa - as is Boulton, Rigby and Mark Stone
  • Options

I think the Hodge is nervous that the Tory Right might do something silly.
    That's not something to be nervous about, that's a given.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Haha Dan Hodges has obviously been reading SeanT, GIN1138 and some of the other headbangers here on PB :smile:
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Alistair said:

All those comments about the legistlation sailing through untroubled have aged well.

At least it should sail through the House of Lords !
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Viewed from the far right, the centre looks a long way left (and vice versa of course!). Similarly for Brexit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

People who feel loss of control do self harm, and Brexit was the result.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Viewed from the far right, the centre looks a long way left (and vice versa of course!). Similarly for Brexit.
    I'm on the far right?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Time to purge the EUphiles. We should have got rid of them at the first sign of dissent.

Like Major purged the Eurosceptics after Maastricht ?

Or was that the right type of dissent ?
    Like the Jedi should have purged themselves of Anakin, a cancer in their midst.
    Darth Gideon: Remember back to your early teachings. "All who gain power are afraid to lose it." Even the LEAVERS.

TSE: The LEAVERS use their power for good.

Darth Gideon: Good is a point of view, Anakin, er, I mean TSE. The LEAVERS and the REMAINERS are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

TSE: The REMAINERS rely on their passion for their strength. They think inward, only about themselves.

Darth Gideon: And the LEAVERS don't?

TSE: The LEAVERS are selfless... they only care about others.

Darth Gideon: [looking a little frustrated] Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Smithson "the Wise"?

TSE: No.

Darth Gideon: I thought not. It's not a story the LibDems would tell you. It's a Blogging legend. Darth Smithson was a Daft Lord of the Sith who lived many years ago. He was so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create... AV threads. He had such a knowledge of the Daft Side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying from boredom on Thursday Nights.

TSE: He could do that? He could actually save people from boring themselves to death?

Darth Gideon: The Daft Side of the Force is a pathway to many policy platforms some consider to be unelectable.

TSE: What happened to him?

Darth Gideon: He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then one night, his apprentice wiped his servers' hard drives while he slept. It's ironic that he could save others from obscurity, but not himself.

TSE: Is it possible to learn this power?

Darth Gideon: Not from a LibDem...
  • Options

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

The point was it is not a classy analogy, even if you believe it to be apt.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited December 2017
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Mr. Topping, enclaves, rising crime/terrorism, little integration, rowing back of crucial values (it's already happening with free speech).

Mr. Tyndall, any chance that MPs will try and make the choice between the deal or status quo (ie remaining)?

How does the number of terrorist incidents in Germany vs here stack up?
    It is not just the number of terrorist incidents that is important - it is other incidents and the reaction of the authorities to them. That is where the real problems lie.
    A senior journo friend of mine has just spent two years working for the German equivalent of the BBC (English-language version). He started in the beeb and he's a dyed-in-the-wool lefty. Hates Tories. We have happy arguments all the time, usually about politics, sometimes rugby (he's a Taff). All in all he is a top bloke.

He , this is how we do things, we don't want to give Nazis airtime, refugees are brilliant, go away.

He has now left, in despair, and runs the entire broadcasting network on a sunny rich Caribbean island, and good luck to him.

I think the situation in the German press is much more nuanced and fair, but German broadcast media is hideously biased to a liberal bien pensant point of view, and TV is where most Germans get their news. And Germans are much more regimented in their thinking and will follow a party line much more dutifully than bolshy Brits.

That's how Merkel has got herself re-elected despite her migration disasters. Germans are not told the news. They are told what to think.
    Your friend was the only one who could work that out, was he?

What a uniquely brilliant mind he must have.
    I am happy to hear first hand accounts from British friends of yours who work in German broadcast media. Seriously. Perhaps they differ.

Otherwise I simply offer this up as genuine verbatiim account of how German TV news works, and which might explain why Merkel has survived, and why the German population seems *relatively* quiescent (AfD aside), on the migrant issue.

If you're just being a rhetorical prat, then go bugger yourself, it shouldn't be too traumatic, what with your uniquely tiny penis.
    First, clumsy plus physiologically nonsensical.

And secondly your mate sees what no other German sees and what, we’re supposed to keep it a secret from the rest of the German population just like he has?

Apposite you should be talking about dicks.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Time to purge the EUphiles. We should have got rid of them at the first sign of dissent.

Darth Gideon: Remember back to your early teachings. "All who gain power are afraid to lose it." Even the LEAVERS.

Darth Gideon: Good is a point of view, Anakin, er, I mean TSE. The LEAVERS and the REMAINERS are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.

TSE: The REMAINERS rely on their passion for their strength. They think inward, only about themselves.

Darth Gideon: [looking a little frustrated] Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Smithson "the Wise"?

Darth Gideon: I thought not. It's not a story the LibDems would tell you. It's a Blogging legend. Darth Smithson was a Daft Lord of the Sith who lived many years ago. He was so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create... AV threads. He had such a knowledge of the Daft Side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying from boredom on Thursday Nights.

TSE: He could do that? He could actually save people from boring themselves to death?

Darth Gideon: The Daft Side of the Force is a pathway to many policy platforms some consider to be unelectable.

Darth Gideon: He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then one night, his apprentice wiped his servers' hard drives while he slept. It's ironic that he could save others from obscurity, but not himself.

I love that scene. Yeah, the prequels are not good movies, but people react like babies about how bad they supposedly are, and there's enough good material in the three to make one good movie. Maybe 1.5.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Other news channels are available if you don't like Sky Big_G.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The really stupid thing about tonight's vote was why the Government felt the need to prevent the HoC rubber-stamping the final agreement!?

You don't recognise the possibility that the HoC might refuse to rubber-stamp the final agreement?

Please tell me you are trolling.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

Because of brexit.

You still thinking of emigrating foxy ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I'm on the far right?
    I hope not, since that means I probably am as well as often as you preempt what I intend to say.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I am disappointed in Sky. They are negative in everything they report on - all is doom and gloom. The BBC are much better to be fair and at least attempt to be balanced
  • Options

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

Because of brexit.

Not yet, need to pick up my gold plated pension first :)

Not long to go now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I'm on the far right?
    No, I am not saying that! Just trying to make the point that neutrals are seldom seen as neutral, which is true for left/right and for leave/remain.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

Because of brexit.

I'm waiting for TSE to join the brain fade and hemigrate. :D
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

So you address it to @MarkHopkins too?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I'm on the far right?
    No, I am not saying that! Just trying to make the point that neutrals are seldom seen as neutral, which is true for left/right and for leave/remain.
    I think I'm best placed to speak to neutrality here (at least as far as avatar image goes.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I am disappointed in Sky. They are negative in everything they report on - all is doom and gloom. The BBC are much better to be fair and at least attempt to be balanced
    Vote with your remote! Even better cancel your Sky subscription and hit them where it hurts!
  • Options

Perfectly serious.

Emmanuel Macron: If Cameron attacks the Leavers, everything will be alright.

Michel Barnier: Monsieur Macron... Cameron...

Angela Merkel: Cameron didn't have enough Remainers. The Remain victory didn't take place.

[Macron pauses to take off his glasses]

Macron: The following stay here: Tusk, Merkel, Barnier and Juncker.
    [The four named EU bigwigs, along with Hollande and Verhofstadt, remain in the room as the others leave. The door closes behind them]
    That was an order! Cameron's attack was an order! How dare you ignore my orders?!
    [Macron's ranting is clearly audible outside the room]
    Is this what it came to? The Commission, everybody lied to me. Even the LibDems! The Remainers are no more than a bunch of disloyal cowards!

Juncker: Monsieur Macron, I can't permit you to insult the British Remainers-

Macron: They are all cowards, traitors and failures!

Juncker: Monsieur Macron, This is outrageous!

Macron: The Commission are the scum of the European Project!
    [flings a pencil onto the table]
    NO SENSE OF HONOUR! You call yourself "Commissioner" because you spent years at the academy, where you only learned how to use a knife and fork! For years, the Commission obstructed me. All you ever did is thwart me. What I should have done, is had all the high officers fired, like Donald Trump did!
    [pauses]
    I never went to the academy. But I conquered all of France on my own. Traitors! I've been betrayed and deceived from the start. Such enormous betrayal of the European people.
    But all these traitors will pay. They will pay with their own jobs! They will drown in their European Regulations!

Theresa May: [To Anna Soubry, outside the room] Anna, please calm yourself!

Macron: All my orders have been ignored. How can I be a President under these circumstances? It's over. The war is lost. But if you think this means I'll leave Brussels... you're wrong. I'd rather give Nigel Farage fellatio! [sighs] Do whatever you want.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

So you address it to @MarkHopkins too?
    Certainly. It's not a condemnation, doc, I just didn't expect it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    edited December 2017
    We had a bipartisan moment of joy over the vote between Lab and LD tellers at a polling station tonight. Two parties, but still one tribe at heart.

There are two main effects:

(1) It shows the Tory Europhiles are not enirely toothless. If they'd lost this they'd have been ignored hereafter.
    (2) It retains a slender possibility of Brexit being reversed. If Parliament were to vote down a deal, there would certainly be EU voices offering to scrap the whole withdrawal and the legal arguments that it's not possible would evaporate if Britain and the EU decided they wanted that. But the precondition would be a major shift in public opinion.

Incidentally, I think the LibDems may win tonight's (rare, Wednesday - no suitable polling sites free tomorrow) by-election in Godalming, Waverley council (current 100% Tory/Ratepayer). For some reason they didn' stand last tim but it's the kind of seat where they can catapult from nothing to 2nd or 1st, and they had a majot with lots of canvassing and knock-up. Labour's effort was more limited, and my impression from a bit of canvassing (it's up the road from where I live in Haslemere) is that the LibDems were doing well.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

So you address it to MarkHopkins too?
    Certainly. It's not a condemnation, doc, I just didn't expect it.

No expects the ...

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

I love that scene. Yeah, the prequels are not good movies, but people react like babies about how bad they supposedly are, and there's enough good material in the three to make one good movie. Maybe 1.5.
    I think Episode 3 is decent. The second half of episode 2 is too.

The dog's breakfast was episode 1.
  • Options
    TBH I was kind of hoping for a tie in the amendment vote.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

It was a legitimate psychological comparison. Self-harming comes in many forms.

• Options
    edited December 2017

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Vote with your remote! Even better cancel your Sky subscription and hit them where it hurts!
    You get Sky News without paying for a subscription?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Lucas is a great visual director, though his writing is not stellar. I'll be honest though, I've rewatched Ep 1 many times when I rewatch the series. It's by no means good, heck some parts really are very bad, but it's not so bad I feel like I'm suffering to get through it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

You get Sky News without paying for a subscription?
    Presume the ? was superfluous there GIN, and good point - no subscription needed for Remain Sky News. My bad!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    BBC covering current shambles in Germany re formation of a government.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

What would happen then - 30 mins of extra time?
  • Options
    edited December 2017

kle4 said:

Sudden death.

Edit: How would the speaker vote in such a way, presuming they stick to convention? They're suppose to vote for the status quo, against amendments I think. But we know some speakers dislike convention...
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Classy, doc.
    Perfectly serious.

It was a legitimate psychological comparison. Self-harming comes in many forms.

I think Corbyn will benefit from an anti Brexit backlash too. British politics is in a vicious cycle of spiteful retaliation. There is very little positive vision in either party, possibly with the exception of a rather delusional JRM.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I've noticed Disney have largely dropped the "Episode" and numbers from the new movies.

Like the official title of the new movie is: Star Wars - The Last Jedi rather than Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.

Famously this is a battle George Lucas had with the studio's right from 1977 when he had to fight tooth and nail to get Episode IV - A New Hope included in the title with "Star Wars"

Interesting that one of the first changes to take place since Disney acquired the franchise was to pretty much ditch any reference to the Episode and it's number.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Penalty shootout. Where TMay walks away leaving an open goal... and Corbyn trips over the ball.

• Options
    Did the list of tonight's Tory rebels match the Daily Telegraphs Muniteer 15, does anyone know?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Penalty shootout. Where TMay walks away leaving an open goal... and Corbyn trips over the ball.

:lol:
  • Options
    Sounds about right. It's a choke chain not an emergency cord.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I've noticed Disney have largely dropped the "Episode" and numbers from the new movies.

Like the official title of the new movie is: Star Wars - The Last Jedi rather than Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.

Famously this is a battle George Lucas had with the studio's right from 1977 when he had to fight tooth and nail to get Episode IV - A New Hope included in the title with "Star Wars"

Interesting that one of the first changes to take place since Disney acquired the franchise to pretty much ditch any reference to the Episode and it's Number.
    Though officially they are still making a distinction are they not between 'trilogies' and the side story ones? Honestly, people worry about oversaturation which is fair, but with it being a whole massive universe, going main story, side story, main story, side story year on year, seems like a good formula for stories and making money, once they get away from doing the backstories of already known characters.
  • Options
    People are still interested in Star Wars? How quaint.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

kle4 said:

And then Gove and Johnson boot it in their own net so TM loses anyway
  • Options
    edited December 2017

More than ever now its a yearly thing. Even adjusted for inflation the Ep7 was around the 11th or 12th highest grossing movie of all time. Games, books, movies, toys, its a phenomenon.

I'm just a moderate fan myself - only ever seen the movies, and while I like them, the originals are not as faultless as people remember them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Interesting that one of the first changes to take place since Disney acquired the franchise to pretty much ditch any reference to the Episode and it's Number.
    Though officially they are still making a distinction are they not between 'trilogies' and the side story ones? Honestly, people worry about oversaturation which is fair, but with it being a whole massive universe, going main story, side story, main story, side story year on year, seems like a good formula for stories and making money, once they get away from doing the backstories of already known characters.
    Yeah, they still make the distinction between the Episodic Star Wars (like Last Jedi) and the anthology (spin-off) films.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Beats going round and round in circles over Brexit. :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Theresa May as Darth Sidious.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Episode IX - The Muniteers Rebel (Slightly)
  • Options

new thread

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Did the list of tonight's Tory rebels match the Daily Telegraphs Muniteer 15, does anyone know?

No, only 11. But the Labour pro-Leave MPs were persuaded to vote with the rest of the party this time.
  • Options

Episode VIII is out tomorrow...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Theresa May as Darth Sidious.
    George Osborne as Darth Gideon, corrupting young TSE.
  • Options

Muniteer???
  • Options

My own view, as a Remain voter, is that I think a Brexit deal approved by parliament stands a better chance of uniting the country than one approved by just the government does. Certainly I'll be more inclined to look on any deal with less hostile eyes if parliament approves it. It's not about stopping Brexit - that ship has sailed, sadly.

I think this is one of the more sensible comments of the evening.
This discussion has been closed.