Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A LD gain from CON and a LAB hold in this week’s local by-elec

Comments

• Options

Utterly OT aside, but curious about this: how many people have bought any sideline merchandise related to a big franchise (Star Wars, Game of Thrones etc) as a Christmas present? Even if it's a tiny thing like a bookmark.

Have bought in recent years for Christmas the Star Wars Lego stuff, have also bought some Last Jedi bed sheets and pillow as gifts.

Am sure have bought other stuff too like costumes and other toy.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll admit, I got the Star Wars Lego stuff for the kids, but deep down I knew I was buying it for myself.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

I'm sceptical that a penny either way on the rate of Scottish tax is going to make all that much difference to behaviours.

Indeed.
    It’s a bit tame tbh - kick up a big fuss about devolving powers-and independnece and then make superficial changes.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

To be fair Scott only has to open his mouth to look stupid and dishonest.

And who says political discourse has been debased by Brexit...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited December 2017
    May of course did not flinch when she really did face an assassination threat recently.

I should think most tube users have better things to do than plot the murder of the MP for Streatham if any of them actually recognised him anyway
  • Options
    Mr. L, cheers for that financial answer.

Mr. Eagles, got to admit, you were probably the chap I thought likeliest to have done so.

Just that I got some Game of Thrones thingummyjigs for someone this year and was very surprised by the enormous range of stuff available. Notebooks, pins, letter openers, coasters, mugs, clothing, etc etc.
  • Options

Utterly OT aside, but curious about this: how many people have bought any sideline merchandise related to a big franchise (Star Wars, Game of Thrones etc) as a Christmas present? Even if it's a tiny thing like a bookmark.

Nothing.

I felt decidedly under dressed at The Last Jedi screening, as I was wearing neither a R2-D2 jumper, nor a fluffy Chewbacca onesie like some of the other cinemagoers
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    edited December 2017
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I'm sceptical that a penny either way on the rate of Scottish tax is going to make all that much difference to behaviours.

If it was a one off I would agree but we already pay HRT from a lower base and there is a clear determination to make our system (a) different from England and (b) more aggressively "progressive" penalising the top earners. Housing costs are an important set off between, say, Edinburgh and London, but there are a lot of top Scottish taxpayers who commute to London already for much of the week. Moving south of the border may become more attractive if this persists. It won't take many to make this nonsense counter productive.
    The housing costs of London might be something to offset but places like Manchester, Leeds or Birmingham could start looking more relatively attractive.
    The sad thing is that Scotland should be doing the exact opposite. We have been losing higher paid financial sector jobs ever since the Indyref got people nervous. We urgently need to attract more of the back office functions back to Scotland and build on what was a traditional strength. I don't think suggesting that their staff will be paying more tax than in Newcastle or Manchester exactly helps that drive.

But then wealth creation seems to be something pretty dirty in Scotland. Our government is obsessed with what it can spend. It is apparently indifferent to the possibilities of growth. Its pretty grim.
    You will be ok if Corbyn get in then.
    Well, I suppose our competitive disadvantage may disappear. Unfortunately, I fear other problems in our largest market that may well create other issues!
    David why do you think the SNP have done it now after all these years in power.?
    Because the Greens told them too and they are feeling more pressure on their left flank from SLAB.

I also think it reflects recognition that Indyref2 is off the table for the time being so just running the government in a way that does as little to offend people as possible is no longer sustainable. Nicola is, I think, more left leaning than Salmond was and more conscious that her power base in the central belt is too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

May of course did not flinch when she really did face an assassination threat recently.
    What would have been involved in 'flinching' from that threat?
  • Options
    @isaby: Popcorn at the ready: just recorded a discussion on last night's Brexit vote with Ken Clarke to be broadcast on tonight's @Channel4News from 7pm on, er, Channel 4...
  • Options
    Mr. P, no stormtrooper armour?

Tell me you didn't go as slave Leia.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

If it was a one off I would agree but we already pay HRT from a lower base and there is a clear determination to make our system (a) different from England and (b) more aggressively "progressive" penalising the top earners. Housing costs are an important set off between, say, Edinburgh and London, but there are a lot of top Scottish taxpayers who commute to London already for much of the week. Moving south of the border may become more attractive if this persists. It won't take many to make this nonsense counter productive.
    The housing costs of London might be something to offset but places like Manchester, Leeds or Birmingham could start looking more relatively attractive.
    The sad thing is that Scotland should be doing the exact opposite. We have been losing higher paid financial sector jobs ever since the Indyref got people nervous. We urgently need to attract more of the back office functions back to Scotland and build on what was a traditional strength. I don't think suggesting that their staff will be paying more tax than in Newcastle or Manchester exactly helps that drive.

But then wealth creation seems to be something pretty dirty in Scotland. Our government is obsessed with what it can spend. It is apparently indifferent to the possibilities of growth. Its pretty grim.
    You will be ok if Corbyn get in then.
    Well, I suppose our competitive disadvantage may disappear. Unfortunately, I fear other problems in our largest market that may well create other issues!
    David why do you think the SNP have done it now after all these years in power.?
    Because the Greens told them too and they are feeling more pressure on their left flank from SLAB.

I also think it reflects recognition that Indyref2 is off the table for the time being so just running the government in a way that does as little to offend people as possible is no longer sustainable. Nicola is, I think, more left leaning than Salmond was and more conscious that her power base in the central belt is too.
    Much appreciated.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

Couldn't put it better myself - to me, last night looks like a subversion of democracy, not a healthy expression of it.

To quote a prominent Leaver of this parish "Fuck off, Please, just fuck off"

Either you believe in Parliamentary democracy, the representatives voting their conscience in the best interests of their constituents, or you don't

This "only when I agree with them" crap is another poisonous residue of the campaign of bullshit.

"We have had enough of experts" and "MPs voting the way we don't like"

You won. This is what parliamentary Sovereignty looks like. Suck it up.
    If you want to look stupid and dishonest, keep saying "We have had enough of experts" as if it was what Gove said. Otherwise, stop.
    Nah ah (sp?)

Gove is no fool. He may have said XXXX now XXXX is XXXX XXX X XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX not XXXXXXX XX XXXXX the XXXXXXXX time XX XXXXX XX X XXXXXXXX X for XXXX XX XXXXXX experts.

But he knows how politics works (moreso than @Ishmael_Z and apparently you) and he knew exactly what the takeaways would be and lo they were the ones he wanted them to be.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well she has not even mentioned it let alone 'flinched'
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Nothing.

I felt decidedly under dressed at The Last Jedi screening, as I was wearing neither a R2-D2 jumper, nor a fluffy Chewbacca onesie like some of the other cinemagoers
    Finally Scott, something we completely agree on. Although I fear my wife will produce some GoT stuff for my daughter...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ouch. That's another £1500 on my tax bill. I fear it may be worse if they repeat their trick of not indexing the bands as well. Who'd want to make money in Scotland if they could anywhere else?
    Well, you must be on £174k+ - you can probably afford it! :wink:
    Glad you think so. Other peoples' money, eh?
    This won't be the end of it,more of your money will be needed with a SNP/labour swap about ;-)
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ouch. That's another £1500 on my tax bill. I fear it may be worse if they repeat their trick of not indexing the bands as well. Who'd want to make money in Scotland if they could anywhere else?
    Well, you must be on £174k+ - you can probably afford it! :wink:
    Glad you think so. Other peoples' money, eh?
    This won't be the end of it,more of your money will be needed with a SNP/labour swap about ;-)
    Cheers. I suppose there had to be some counterbalance for England finally having a good day in Aus.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited December 2017
    How will Scottish Income Tax be administered?

Surely Income Tax is administered UK wide now - the Scottish Govt doesn't get the income tax paid by all individual Scots - it gets a block amount determined by Barnett formula.

Will the Scottish Govt just, effectively, get a "cheque from HMRC" for the tax differential - ie 1% on income above £24k minus 1% on income below £13,850?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I should think most tube users have better things to do than plot the murder of the MP for Streatham if any of them actually recognised him anyway
    "most" is not good enough. It only takes one. Since Britain had an MP killed by a far right lunatic only last year, his fear seems reasonable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even Tessy realised that trying to play the 'unflinching courage' card in the face of something so half baked might have looked sub optimal.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2017

l have a rather attactive jumper for the staff party:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B077LVX5S5/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1513269580&sr=8-19&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=star+wars+christmas+jumper&dpPl=1&dpID=61fhxQNOJ6L&ref=plSrch
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sky just did a report from an Eyemouth Fish processor where two employees were interviewed. One lives in Eyemouth, the other in Berwick so one pays more tax than the other for doing the same job. The Eyemouth employee distinctly unimpressed.

Creates good space for Ruth Davidson to strengthen support for the Scons

Over 33 grand for fish processing? Blimey.
  • Options
    Dominic Grieve saying he has received death threats after yesterday's vote.He has reported them to the police..Truly crazy.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

"most" is not good enough. It only takes one. Since Britain had an MP killed by a far right lunatic only last year, his fear seems reasonable.
    If anything even he had longer links with the Far Right than protesting about Brexit and that is one out of 17 million. Despite continued attempts of some Remainers to frustrate the biggest post-war vote in our history almost all Leave voters have remained law abiding and restrained
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I should imagine medium to large houses on the English side of Berwick will be popular with estate agents as middle to high earners flee Nat tax bombshell - a ratchet that will no doubt tighten year on year.

The stamp duty is cheaper in England too for medium sized houses so a double whammy.

Medium size house are cheaper in Scotland.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even Tessy realised that trying to play the 'unflinching courage' card in the face of something so half baked might have looked sub optimal.
    Chuka obviously less so when there is no evidence he has had any threat at all
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sky just did a report from an Eyemouth Fish processor where two employees were interviewed. One lives in Eyemouth, the other in Berwick so one pays more tax than the other for doing the same job. The Eyemouth employee distinctly unimpressed.

Creates good space for Ruth Davidson to strengthen support for the Scons

Over 33 grand for fish processing? Blimey.
    of course the lower paid staff will be taxed less on the North side of the border...
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Dominic Grieve saying he has received death threats after yesterday's vote.He has reported them to the police..Truly crazy.

Agreed. And lectures on party discipline from the camp of IDS and other b******* who did so much to undermine and damage John Major's government reek of hypocrisy and cant. We all need to calm down a bit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If anything even he had longer links with the Far Right than protesting about Brexit and that is one out of 17 million. Despite continued attempts of some Remainers to frustrate the biggest post-war vote in our history almost all Leave voters have remained law abiding and restrained
    A quarter of reports to Prevent are in relation to far right extremists. It's not surprising when newspapers and commentators routinely label opponents as traitors and saboteurs.

Meanwhile, the so-called moderate Leavers stay silent.
  • Options

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B077LVX5S5/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1513269580&sr=8-19&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=star+wars+christmas+jumper&dpPl=1&dpID=61fhxQNOJ6L&ref=plSrch
    You going on the pull, like? I had an "I am your father" T shirt from my kids a couple of years ago. Not had a lot of wear...
  • Options
    F1 considering dropping Grid Girls. !!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42346331
  • Options
    Mr. City, that sort of thing is deeply alarming.

There's a lot of it on the internet. A Call of Duty developer (and his family) received death threats after he minutely tweaked reload times on guns to try and better balance the game.

Hopefully we can have a proper, orderly departure and then rifts can heal.
  • Options
    Mr. Evershed, I saw that. I'm unsure how decreasing the amount of work makes things better.
  • Options

Scotland's just introduced a 5 band tax system.... F**King hell I'm glad i'm not an accountant north o the border.

And one of them is a bagpip[e band.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A quarter of reports to Prevent are in relation to far right extremists. It's not surprising when newspapers and commentators routinely label opponents as traitors and saboteurs.

The Far right was there well before Brexit, 52% of voters are not the Far right
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    DavidL said:

You going on the pull, like? I had an "I am your father" T shirt from my kids a couple of years ago. Not had a lot of wear...
    I shall not only show off my sartorial elegance, but also throw some moves on the dancefloor. It is the role of senior staff to provide amusement and gossip to the juniors!
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

Couldn't put it better myself - to me, last night looks like a subversion of democracy, not a healthy expression of it.

Either you believe in Parliamentary democracy, the representatives voting their conscience in the best interests of their constituents, or you don't

This "only when I agree with them" crap is another poisonous residue of the campaign of bullshit.

If you want to look stupid and dishonest, keep saying "We have had enough of experts" as if it was what Gove said. Otherwise, stop.
    Nah ah (sp?)

Gove is no fool. He may have said XXXX now XXXX is XXXX XXX X XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX not XXXXXXX XX XXXXX the XXXXXXXX time XX XXXXX XX X XXXXXXXX X for XXXX XX XXXXXX experts.

But he knows how politics works (moreso than @Ishmael_Z and apparently you) and he knew exactly what the takeaways would be and lo they were the ones he wanted them to be.
    we are seeing more and more of these WAKE UP SHEEPLE posts which explain that the way things look is just there to fool the little people - the dummies who think that "accession talks" means talks designed to lead to accession, and so on, and frankly you can either take it to zerohedge where it belongs, or stick it where the sun don't shine. You like Scott are too grand to stoop to actually watching what happened before commenting on it; if you did it would be quite clear to you that Gove was needled into saying what he said (which is why he said it in a way open to distortion by shouty Faisal); it was quite obviously entirely unprepared.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing.

Finally Scott, something we completely agree on. Although I fear my wife will produce some GoT stuff for my daughter...
    I can't immediately think what GoT spinoffs would make satisfactory presents. A model of Reek's thingy in a presentation box?

Some Walking Dead Lego would be good, though.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

I should imagine medium to large houses on the English side of Berwick will be popular with estate agents as middle to high earners flee Nat tax bombshell - a ratchet that will no doubt tighten year on year.

The stamp duty is cheaper in England too for medium sized houses so a double whammy.

Edinburgh is cheaper than Berwick ?

It's a view.

• Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing.

I can't immediately think what GoT spinoffs would make satisfactory presents. A model of Reek's thingy in a presentation box?

House Bolton branded sausages!

• Options
    DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

Agreed. And lectures on party discipline from the camp of IDS and other b******* who did so much to undermine and damage John Major's government reek of hypocrisy and cant. We all need to calm down a bit.
    It is time someone on twitter who sends a death threat received a stupendously long prison sentence to really get the message across on all this.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

Nevertheless the transaction costs of moving house, particularly at the upper end of the market, would take years to recouo, particularly if the difference in income tax is offset by other costs such as a longer commute.
    Not if you are moving house anyway or you don't already live there.

Anyone moving to a decently paid job in Scotland would be well worth investigating commuting from England - this Nat tax is only going to get worse.

* Stamp duty
    * income tax
    * minimum alcohol pricing.

You can boil a frog for a while.
  • Options
    Mr. Rex, that's genius.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing.

Some Trivia type game is the best bet, provided you can get enough people who have actually watched it. We always end up playing some quiz type game after the Christmas dinner. As the kids, nieces and nephews get older GoT is a possibility.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Star Wars 8. Don't bother.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

Very true.In retrospect , I think Major got a brilliant deal at Maastricht.However back in 1992 , I was struggling with a mortgage and the interest rates were eye watering, so I was not taking much notice on EU affairs.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

Nah ah (sp?)

we are seeing more and more of these WAKE UP SHEEPLE posts which explain that the way things look is just there to fool the little people - the dummies who think that "accession talks" means talks designed to lead to accession, and so on, and frankly you can either take it to zerohedge where it belongs, or stick it where the sun don't shine. You like Scott are too grand to stoop to actually watching what happened before commenting on it; if you did it would be quite clear to you that Gove was needled into saying what he said (which is why he said it in a way open to distortion by shouty Faisal); it was quite obviously entirely unprepared.
    Again you display your naivety. "Gove was needled into saying what he said" - ROTFLMAO.

Poor lickle Mikey. That nasty Faisal Islam shame on him. If Gove can't control what comes out of his mouth in a media interview, then it's much worse than we thought. No. He, like all senior politicians, has vast experience with shouty interviewers. And as such, he knew exactly what he was doing. He was appealing to a group of people, perhaps including you, for whom such railing against authority was music to their ears and then it became a Thing during the campaign.

Jeez and you are contributing to a political blog.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Captain Bringdown...

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Was it better or worse than Radiohead?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

Very true.In retrospect , I think Major got a brilliant deal at Maastricht.However back in 1992 , I was struggling with a mortgage and the interest rates were eye watering, so I was not taking much notice on EU affairs.
    Of course one of the reasons they were eye watering was Major's desire to retain the link to the DM... I remember on Black Wednesday leaving home to go to Wick for a court case the next day. IIRC my monthly mortgage payments went up something like 25% during the journey. It took a long time to be persuaded that the government knew what the hell they were doing after that.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

It is time someone on twitter who sends a death threat received a stupendously long prison sentence to really get the message across on all this.
    Well said.Surely the law is there to do this.I remember answering a question badly when studying for my degree.It was.why is the sentence different for attempted murder and murder ? The intention been the same only the outcome different due to various reasons.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Interesting. There were some rave reviews of Rogue 1 on here which persuaded me to give it a go. It was pretty meh.
  • Options
    Before twitter , prominent politicians received bizarre and threatening snail mail from various loons , wackos and nutjobs.

The internet has made it far far easier and quicker to do this - no surprise that it occurs.

Has nothing to do with Brexit or any other specific topic though.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Hmm not sure how to put it into context of Radiohead, but it's not nearly as good as 7 and R1. It sits between 3 and 6 in terms of quality. Better than the prequels, but not as good as the originals.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

Nah ah (sp?)

Again you display your naivety. "Gove was needled into saying what he said" - ROTFLMAO.

Poor lickle Mikey. That nasty Faisal Islam shame on him. If Gove can't control what comes out of his mouth in a media interview, then it's much worse than we thought. No. He, like all senior politicians, has vast experience with shouty interviewers. And as such, he knew exactly what he was doing. He was appealing to a group of people, perhaps including you, for whom such railing against authority was music to their ears and then it became a Thing during the campaign.

You are doing it again, and severely embarrassing yourself.

Are you familiar with the phrase "idiot cunning"?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

kyf_100 said:

To quote a prominent Leaver of
    Nah ah (sp?)

You are doing it again, and severely embarrassing yourself.

Are you familiar with the phrase "idiot cunning"?
    Would prefer some actual, you know, debate but fair enough and no, I'm not familiar with the phrase; is it a thing also?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

Well said.Surely the law is there to do this.I remember answering a question badly when studying for my degree.It was.why is the sentence different for attempted murder and murder ? The intention been the same only the outcome different due to various reasons.
    I can't find any examples other than Isabella Sorley, and John Nimmo who sent threats to Caroline Criado-Perez. They got 8-12 weeks.
  • Options
    Dominic Grieve, the Conservative MP, has faced death threats after leading a parliamentary rebellion that resulted in the prime minister’s first defeat on Brexit.

The former Tory attorney has reported incidents to the police. Other colleagues who rebelled have also come under pressure. Grieve told the Guardian:

'The thing which continues to cause me concern is not that people will disagree vigorously with the positions we take but that the atmosphere is so febrile that it leads firstly to people not listening to what the debate is about, secondly suggests that any questions around Brexit amount to an intention to sabotage and thirdly result in some people expressing themselves in terms that at times include death threats.

Death threats should have no part in the political process of a democracy.'

Grieve also questioned the response of some newspapers to the vote, including a front page story from the Daily Mail that claimed 11 Tory “self-consumed malcontents” had betrayed their leader, party and 17.4m Brexit voters and had increased the “possibility of a Marxist in No 10”. Grieve said:

'The form of reporting that the Daily Mail adopts is an incitement to obscuring what the issues actually are. That then adds to the atmosphere.'

https://tinyurl.com/LawyersRuleTheWorld
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting. There were some rave reviews of Rogue 1 on here which persuaded me to give it a go. It was pretty meh.
    Rogue one was really good, as long as you took it as a standalone story and not as a part of the wider SW universe. 8 is not close to R1 though. I'm actually genuinely surprised as to how many awful scenes didn't get cut. One in particular will go down as the worst scene in all of SW history.
  • Options

Dominic Grieve, the Conservative MP, has faced death threats after leading a parliamentary rebellion that resulted in the prime minister’s first defeat on Brexit.

The former Tory attorney has reported incidents to the police. Other colleagues who rebelled have also come under pressure. Grieve told the Guardian:

'The thing which continues to cause me concern is not that people will disagree vigorously with the positions we take but that the atmosphere is so febrile that it leads firstly to people not listening to what the debate is about, secondly suggests that any questions around Brexit amount to an intention to sabotage and thirdly result in some people expressing themselves in terms that at times include death threats.

Death threats should have no part in the political process of a democracy.'

Grieve also questioned the response of some newspapers to the vote, including a front page story from the Daily Mail that claimed 11 Tory “self-consumed malcontents” had betrayed their leader, party and 17.4m Brexit voters and had increased the “possibility of a Marxist in No 10”. Grieve said:

'The form of reporting that the Daily Mail adopts is an incitement to obscuring what the issues actually are. That then adds to the atmosphere.'

https://tinyurl.com/LawyersRuleTheWorld

The traitor denies being a traitor. Water is wet.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF said:

Nevertheless the transaction costs of moving house, particularly at the upper end of the market, would take years to recouo, particularly if the difference in income tax is offset by other costs such as a longer commute.
    Not if you are moving house anyway or you don't already live there.

Anyone moving to a decently paid job in Scotland would be well worth investigating commuting from England - this Nat tax is only going to get worse.

* Stamp duty
    * income tax
    * minimum alcohol pricing.

You can boil a frog for a while.
    No one who is moving to avoid the high end income tax changes will be affected by minimum alcohol pricing.

Bit of a trip for a night out at the Festival Theatre an all.

A £3724 season ticket (pleb class) on the train and a hour plus commute. You'd have to be earning loads to make that worthwhile
  • Options
    Any MP claiming to want to represent the people with a final vote is clearly bullshitting. The people have already had their say and we've instructed them to leave. Everything else is just obstructionism/treason dressed up as concern. The people have instructed the MPs. They no longer have sovereignty on the issue of Brexit.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Any MP claiming to want to represent the people with a final vote is clearly bullshitting. The people have already had their say and we've instructed them to leave. Everything else is just obstructionism/treason dressed up as concern. The people have instructed the MPs. They no longer have sovereignty on the issue of Brexit.

Ah yes, but you forget some people are more equal than others
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MaxPB said:

Are you bullshitting from Switzerland ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Would prefer some actual, you know, debate but fair enough and no, I'm not familiar with the phrase; is it a thing also?

Tell me, where do you draw the line? When Abbot's numbers on police pay were out by 3 orders of magnitude was she in fact having a meltdown, or was that, again, just what the sheeple were meant to think? How do you differentiate between Abbot losing control, and Gove losing control, of an interview.

Like all snobs you underestimate the intelligence of people you judge to be poorer or less well educated than you are. Almost everyone is capable of understanding the point that there's experts you go to when your health or your car breaks down, and wannabe financial experts who think the financial future is predictable, when it is perhaps the single most certain finding in the whole of economics, that it isn't.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, hmm.

On Rogue One: I thought there was quite a lot to like but some serious drawbacks (mostly weak characters, and the two monks added nothing).
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Mr. Max, hmm.

On Rogue One: I thought there was quite a lot to like but some serious drawbacks (mostly weak characters, and the two monks added nothing).

I'd like to see the original cut of R1. The one that featured all the scenes in the trailer that are not in the final release
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Hmm...an edit once he had sobered up from the champagne might have been a plan.
  • Options

Mr. Max, hmm.

And a stunningly dull and predictable story line... Some good scenes but not quite enough to make a movie for me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited December 2017
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

@TGOHF Regarding Stamp Duty, I think @Alistair has a point !

If the house I am buying was in Scotland, I'd save £400 on Stamp Duty.

The worst place in the whole of the UK for stamp duty must be the southeast/London due to the mental prices down there.
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    edited December 2017
    MaxPB said:

I wonder how many of those banging on about a second referendum reacted to Farage's 'unfinished business' comment on the night.

A second referendum should have been part of the plan from the start, if a referendum of this kind had to be held at all. But to change the rules after the fact sits too badly.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Mr. Max, hmm.

And a stunningly dull and predictable story line... Some good scenes but not quite enough to make a movie for me.
    It was predictable because we knew they succeeded. The movie wasn't about the destination, but the journey.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Rogue 1 I found tedoous and almost fell asleep, I enjoyed the Force Awakens though so will hopefully like the Last Jedi when I go next week
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No, if the final deal includes FoM in more or less its current form then it is important for Parliament to get its say, one way or another, rather than take diktat from Strong and Stable.

You may say she wouldn't agree to this, I am not so sure. Her red lines fade quickly.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Mr. Max, hmm.

It was predictable because we knew they succeeded. The movie wasn't about the destination, but the journey.
    One for pseud's corner perhaps?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    edited December 2017
    Mr. P, could be interesting to see that, particularly the TIE fighter which isn't in the film.
  • Options
    F1: in the BBC poll, 60% approved of grid girls:

I suspect they may end up being axed even if that's indicative of the general audience of F1.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

MaxPB said:

No, if the final deal includes FoM in more or less its current form then it is important for Parliament to get its say, one way or another, rather than take diktat from Strong and Stable.

You may say she wouldn't agree to this, I am not so sure. Her red lines fade quickly.
    The EU aren't going to roll over and make concessions just because Parliament voted it down are they?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited December 2017
    MaxPB said:

What instruction did we give them on arrangements for international recognition of medicines? (for example) Pretending that Brexit is binary reduces the debate down to a pantomime of patriots and traitors - as does imagining that the detailed issues had been aired or agreed by the Leave side before the vote.

There is a mandate against remain - what exactly is there a mandate for?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

F1: in the BBC poll, 60% approved of grid girls:

I suspect they may end up being axed even if that's indicative of the general audience of F1.

Just need to add some Grid Guy totty :D
  • Options
    I see the early evening Leave shift is happy to label Remain voters as traitors. I look forward to the later evening Leave shift grumpily complaining that Remain voters are never satisfied by the efforts made by Leavers to heal the divisions.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Hmm not sure how to put it into context of Radiohead, but it's not nearly as good as 7 and R1. It sits between 3 and 6 in terms of quality. Better than the prequels, but not as good as the originals.
    The first 15-20 minutes is top drawer. After that, just enjoyable.

A bit of overload on the cutesy critters though.
  • Options
    Mr. D, one race (Monaco, I think) did have grid boys.

They should just make the grid person the opposite gender of the driver.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Yorkcity said:

But we were told the Remainers are the sore losers. Peculiar.
  • Options

I see the early evening Leave shift is happy to label Remain voters as traitors. I look forward to the later evening Leave shift grumpily complaining that Remain voters are never satisfied by the efforts made by Leavers to heal the divisions.

trip trap trip trap over the rickety bridge
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, I was unaware I was a member of a shift. Must have a lot of backpay coming.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

The EU aren't going to roll over and make concessions just because Parliament voted it down are they?
    No, but it gives Parliament the say over WTO hard Brexit or soft as eiderdown Brexit in that circumstance, and the MPs would have to own the decision.

If it is medium soft Brexit then endorsement by Parliament will be an impoetant part of the healing process.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Mr. D, one race (Monaco, I think) did have grid boys.

They should just make the grid person the opposite gender of the driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3aujCERTWA
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Mr. Meeks, I was unaware I was a member of a shift. Must have a lot of backpay coming.

Alas I think you need 2 years of continuous service to qualify for back pay. You've had too many periods of rational debate to make the grade I'm afraid :)
  • Options
    Mr. 86, ha, hadn't seen that. Vettel can be quite amusing (I tend not to watch preamble and post-race stuff now).
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Yorkcity said:

But we were told the Remainers are the sore losers. Peculiar.
    We were told a Leave vote was about sovereignty and taking back control. When an MP tries just that, he gets death threats.

Brexit really is working out so well isn't it?
  • Options
    Mr. tpfkar, rational debate means you can't make money?

No wonder Mr. Eagles is so much wealthier than me :(
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think you mean selectively silent.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Boris is fulfilling his pledge to lobby for restrictions on food from Fukushima to be lifted.
    https://twitter.com/konotaromp/status/941267067306631169
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited December 2017

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

The first 15-20 minutes is top drawer. After that, just enjoyable.

A bit of overload on the cutesy critters though.
    Oddly I'd score it the other way. Enjoyable to start, but even better as it goes along other than a couple of scenes, particularly the last third, it handled itself so well in that part. The flaws I felt were closer to the beginning and in part just the set up to certain plot driving moments.

Overall, bloody brilliant. Better than 7 by a fair distance, and I liked 7. I won't judge its place in the list of them all until I've had a chance to ponder it longer. Hamill is so much better an actor now than in the originals it's funny though.

Character and style the new films have in abundance, which is great.
This discussion has been closed.