Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A LD gain from CON and a LAB hold in this week’s local by-elec

124»

Comments

• Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

That's true, but the very fact that there will be a Commons vote will ensure that May comes back a soft Brexit deal that is acceptable to the vast majority of MPs, who recognise the need to respect the EU-ref but in a way that doesn't trash the economy.

Then, once the deal is passed by the HoC, the Tory headbangers will just have to suck it up, and shut up (at long last).

It's the best way forward all considered.

Or May calls their bluff because if they reject the deal it'll be no-deal Brexit.
    You forget that May is a Remainer!
    Ah, she's been lying about it all along.
    She campaigned for Remain IIRC
    I'm talking about all the speeches she's given since the referendum. Abundantly clear that she's not aiming for a soft Brexit.
    The trick she is trying to pull off is talk hard Brexit and walk soft.
    What exactly has she done to walk soft?
    Agreed to Brexit bill + continued ECJ jurisdiction + regulatory alignment
    But a lot less of all than we were told would be the case.

I suspect that May wants a 'moderate' Brexit ie not hard and not soft but something consensual in the middle.

Which would align with her previous political career.
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

That's true, but the very fact that there will be a Commons vote will ensure that May comes back a soft Brexit deal that is acceptable to the vast majority of MPs, who recognise the need to respect the EU-ref but in a way that doesn't trash the economy.

Then, once the deal is passed by the HoC, the Tory headbangers will just have to suck it up, and shut up (at long last).

Or May calls their bluff because if they reject the deal it'll be no-deal Brexit.
    I'm talking about all the speeches she's given since the referendum. Abundantly clear that she's not aiming for a soft Brexit.
    The Brexit bill is subject to a trade deal and is not unreasonable, she negotiated the ECJ down from 15 years to 8 years following which UK law will be supreme and regulatory alignment means all things to all men/women.

She has received a good reception from her fellow leaders with several complimenting her on her skills publicly and she is a serious politician. Indeed she is in a better position than Merkel at present

I am very relaxed at the state of play but totally condemn the diotic remarks of Nadine Dorries. I do not agree with the rebels but they are entitled to their views
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Time-limited ECJ oversight, and regulatory alignment if there was no trade deal or a technological solution wasn't feasible. The bill was existing commitments, and I don't think it says anything about soft vs. hard.
    Well Farage thinks it's a sell-out, so it can't be all bad :smile:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited December 2017

RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Time-limited ECJ oversight, and regulatory alignment if there was no trade deal or a technological solution wasn't feasible. The bill was existing commitments, and I don't think it says anything about soft vs. hard.
    No doubt he wants the ECJ oversight to end in 2019, and no money paid. Luckily, May is a bit more pragmatic than that, as it would destroy any chances of doing a trade deal with them afterwards.
  • Options
    So employment in the agricultural sector is at a twenty year high - see page 8 of this spreadsheet:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/datasets/summaryoflabourmarketstatistics

Do the people who peddled fake news about a shortage of farmworkers realise they were used as useful idiots by farmers who don't want to pay a fair wage ?
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The Brexit bill is subject to a trade deal and is not unreasonable, she negotiated the ECJ down from 15 years to 8 years following which UK law will be supreme and regulatory alignment means all things to all men/women.

She has received a good reception from her fellow leaders with several complimenting her on her skills publicly and she is a serious politician. Indeed she is in a better position than Merkel at present

I am very relaxed at the state of play but totally condemn the diotic remarks of Nadine Dorries. I do not agree with the rebels but they are entitled to their views
    Hello there Big_G, trust you are on the road to recovery!

If Theresa can convince Leavers that they have got a proper Brexit and Remainers that it is as soft as it can be, she'll deserve all the credit she gets. Personally, I think we'd are headed for a very soft Brexit which is my second-best preferred option. Given the chioce between that and a hard WTO Brexit, I'll take it!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Farage will posture about anything -its what he does and what he's good at.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

No doubt he wants the ECJ oversight to end in 2019, and no money paid. Luckily, May is a bit more pragmatic than that, as it would destroy any chances of doing a trade deal with them afterwards.
    I think he wants ECJ oversight to end tonight (given he can't turn the clock back 18 months!)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes, you are spot on.

She has to ultimately go soft to get it through the Commons (and it's the least risk economically) - but as you say she must talk pretty hard to keep the hard Brexiteers on side - or at least enough to prevent them going off side.

Whether 48 MPs go for a vote of no confidence who knows, but May should win such a vote easily because:

1) Majority of Con MPs support Remain so want soft Brexit

2) Majority of Con MPs won't want to risk a hard Brexiteer winning

3) Majority of Con MPs won't want to risk a less voter friendly winner
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    New thread...
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Hello there Big_G, trust you are on the road to recovery!

If Theresa can convince Leavers that they have got a proper Brexit and Remainers that it is as soft as it can be, she'll deserve all the credit she gets. Personally, I think we'd are headed for a very soft Brexit which is my second-best preferred option. Given the chioce between that and a hard WTO Brexit, I'll take it!
    Hi Ben - still struggling a bit but time is the healer and being retired helps. I genuinely believe TM will conjure a deal that will satisfy the many but not the hard remainers or Brexiteers.

She does seem to have considerable good will amongst her fellow leaders

I think hard Brexit is off the table, certainly as far as TM is concerned
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    edited December 2017
    Norma Farage is ready for his close-up.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2017/dec/14/spare-thought-christmas-unholy-trinity-nigel-farage-milo-yannopoulos-katie-hopkins

In the European parliament, meanwhile, Sunset Boulevard is showing again, as our hero this week quavered: “I fear Brexit may need to be fought all over again.” Yup, he’s still big. It’s the Brexit that got small.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    MikeL said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes, you are spot on.

She has to ultimately go soft to get it through the Commons (and it's the least risk economically) - but as you say she must talk pretty hard to keep the hard Brexiteers on side - or at least enough to prevent them going off side.

Whether 48 MPs go for a vote of no confidence who knows, but May should win such a vote easily because:

I agree with all that.

And that is why I think it's increasingly likely she'll lead the Tories into the next GE. The question you have to ask is, assuming she doesn't voluntarily step down, when is the optimum time to attempt to oust her?

Between now and March 2019? Not likely, barring an unforeseen disaster.

During Transition? On what grounds if a sensible (dare I say popular) Brexit deal has been secured?

After Transition but before the next GE? Not unless the polls show Labour well ahead.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Farage will posture about anything -its what he does and what he's good at.
    He is an irrelevance now
  • Options
    MikeL said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes, you are spot on.

The Conservative MPs who backed Remain can be split into actual Remain supporters and party loyalists / careerists.

Of course the latter grouping is likely to support whatever the government line is.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

I agree that it is Hobsons choice, but nonetheless it seems that May is aiming at Soft, possibly Eiderdown Soft Brexit with FoM and all the trappings. It would be that or WTO and Parliament should debate and decide.

What makes you think she's aiming for that? I've heard nothing that would suggest that is her desired destination.
    Having lost the first round 3 nil, and conceeding over the Irish border on customs, it seems very possible. A vote in Parliament is the only democratic objection or validation of such a decision.
  • Options

RobD said:

I agree that it is Hobsons choice, but nonetheless it seems that May is aiming at Soft, possibly Eiderdown Soft Brexit with FoM and all the trappings. It would be that or WTO and Parliament should debate and decide.

What makes you think she's aiming for that? I've heard nothing that would suggest that is her desired destination.
    Having lost the first round 3 nil, and conceeding over the Irish border on customs, it seems very possible. A vote in Parliament is the only democratic objection or validation of such a decision.
    The EU wanted 60 to 100 billion Euro, they've accepted twenty billion plus another twenty related to a two year transition deal.

Just because you want the EU to win 3-0 doesn't mean they have in the real world.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    Scott_P said:

It has been debased by your involvement.

Brexiteers are almost as civic and joyous as the Cybernats...
    Better than being a complete toss** though Scott
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Take off those blue tinted specs G, she is useless and getting the crap kicked out of her at home and away. Total waste of space , think even Brown was a better PM.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/15/bt-sky-deal-atlantic-and-sport-channels-customers Hope as this example shows that you can bring people together .
This discussion has been closed.