Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Brexit means different things to different groups and peop

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

So which collapsed quicker?

England’s batting this morning or Theresa May’s ratings during the election campaign?

I think both pale in comparison with George Osborne's political career.
  • Options
    Henry Jackson Society on what the EU owes the UK:

European integration is largely a product of peace and security, not its cause. While the EU has helped to dampen distrust between ancient opponents, Europe is peaceful and prosperous today primarily because the UK and the US have been willing to finance sophisticated armed forces and nuclear forces to deter countries – both within and without NATO, and by extension the EU – from disrupting the status quo. Whatever role the EU has played has been at best supplemental.

http://henryjacksonsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/HJS-Policy-Briefing-What-the-EU-Owes-the-UK-Final.pdf
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

What does Brexit mean? It's an advent calendar of shit, with each day offering some new turd on the breakfast table.

and when I open todays window our steaming mound is sponsored by Alistair,

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

and the day before that .........
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

England’s batting this morning or Theresa May’s ratings during the election campaign?

Editor of an oligarch owned local free-sheet......you could almost feel sorry for him. Almost.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244

What does Brexit mean? It's an advent calendar of shit, with each day offering some new turd on the breakfast table.

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

I understand that "What Model Railway" has a very lively blog if you would prefer to talk about guages, etc?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

In fairness, is that not the way Advent calendars are supposed to work?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

I understand that "What Model Railway" has a very lively blog if you would prefer to talk about guages, etc?
    do I get to call you swivel eyed ?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

But's he's landed on his feet, earning inter alia 650k per year for one day a week, and a fair whack on the lecture circuit.

When Theresa May leaves Downing Street no ones going to be paying her that kind of money unless you want to to see a repeat of of 2017 Tory conference speech.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

do I get to call you swivel eyed ?
    I think it's mandatory over there.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

no

the attraction of advent calendars is their variety, something new each day
  • Options

DavidL said:

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

no

You must get better Advent calendars than we do. Here "variety" is that the chocolate is a slightly different shape.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Editor of an oligarch owned local free-sheet......you could almost feel sorry for him. Almost.
    maybe he could take over Salmonds flop spot on RT
  • Options
    To happier subjects, and this year's Comedy Wildlife pictures of the year are out:

https://gizmodo.com/behold-the-most-hilarious-wildlife-photos-of-2017-1821301269
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

no

You must get better Advent calendars than we do. Here "variety" is that the chocolate is a slightly different shape.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/alcoholic-christmas-advent-calendars-2017-11538564
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

no

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/alcoholic-christmas-advent-calendars-2017-11538564
    I am sure that the BBC were lecturing me just today that I really shouldn't be giving that sort of thing to my 14 year old.

Is it just me or is the idea of Advent calendars for grown ups just a little weird?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

no

Is it just me or is the idea of Advent calendars for grown ups just a little weird?
    Every little helps......
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

same as yesterdays

and the day befores

no

I am sure that the BBC were lecturing me just today that I really shouldn't be giving that sort of thing to my 14 year old.

One of my colleagues has an Advent calendar from a household name insurer where the chocolates are behind pictures of the insurer's team. Festive indeed.

In fairness, the chocolates are very good.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

maybe he could take over Salmonds flop spot on RT

A promotion?
  • Options

To happier subjects, and this year's Comedy Wildlife pictures of the year are out:

https://gizmodo.com/behold-the-most-hilarious-wildlife-photos-of-2017-1821301269

Finally, a good use for a golf hole.
  • Options
    Mr. L, ha, I thought so too. But, er, then discovered a friend of mine has three (bought for her, I should stress).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Luxembourg PM confirms Parliament will not be able to send May back to renegotiate Brexit deal

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamfleming/status/941268474986364930

File under 'No sh*t' Sherlock....

The vote was just illogical stupid gesture politics.

There will be a deal. It will be 'take it or leave it'.
    The traitors believe that leave it means we remain and they get to overrule the public. In reality it means no deal.
    I mean Max don't get me wrong, I know you are interested in all this but for someone who has f***ed off to live in a foreign (ugh!) country calling people traitors who are serving their country is, oh I don't know, a bit off, don't you think?

I get it, I was an expat for a while. Out come the Union Jack boxer shorts, the gramophone playing Land of Hope and Glory, and listening to The Archers on loop. But really.
    They aren't serving their country. They are trying to overrule the public vote. Ultimately MPs answer to the public, we have instructed them to take the country out of the EU and now these 11 traitors are trying to overrule that with technicalities.
    Oh dear

Epic fail to understand how a Parliamentary Democracy (like what i voted Leave for) works

I can sell you some cheap pitchforks
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    So that's what @HYUFD looks like!

Edit: he is of course absolutely wrong on many levels, if articulate.
  • Options
    Do you think we could get him to write a thread?
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin looks at what lies ahead for Europe in 2018:

https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/comment/2018-europe-s-populist-challenges-will-continue
  • Options

Mr. L, ha, I thought so too. But, er, then discovered a friend of mine has three (bought for her, I should stress).

Well, women. Different rules apply.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    TOPPING said:

@HYUFD voted remain.

You can also add the north to your west York ban from London ;-)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

A succinct summary of a popular narrative.

I loved watching the panel squirm.......
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

... no matter how stupid it may be.
  • Options
    I hope she told them 'Don't you want me?'

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/941583642505117696
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561

RoyalBlue said:

But's he's landed on his feet, earning inter alia 650k per year for one day a week, and a fair whack on the lecture circuit.

When Theresa May leaves Downing Street no ones going to be paying her that kind of money unless you want to to see a repeat of of 2017 Tory conference speech.
    Money can't buy everything - May will be an ex-PM, how much would GO have given for that?! Hahaha!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561

Very good! But seriously, they have a dress code for business class??
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,919

TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

Things have changed in one major way since the referendum. Before the referendum, talk of Europe was met with bored glances. Maastricht? Some place in Belgium or Holland?

Now it stirs up interest. Hoping to slip in a no-leave leave without anyone noticing won't happen. A second referendum will bring it into sharp focus. Not so much about the result as about the political and chattering classes taking the piss.

Can I be the first to suggest that Frank Field be given a knighthood?

I still have no idea where Maastricht is. Belgium, right? Ask me to find it on a map, that said...
    In The Netherlands. Site of a few battles.
    Almost in Belgium, though! If the local landowner had been Catholic.....or am I too simplistic?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

Things have changed in one major way since the referendum. Before the referendum, talk of Europe was met with bored glances. Maastricht? Some place in Belgium or Holland?

Now it stirs up interest. Hoping to slip in a no-leave leave without anyone noticing won't happen. A second referendum will bring it into sharp focus. Not so much about the result as about the political and chattering classes taking the piss.

I still have no idea where Maastricht is. Belgium, right? Ask me to find it on a map, that said...
    The last part of the Cretacous period is named after it, the Maastrichtian. Ended when the giant asteroid struck causing a mass extinction....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    edited December 2017

Henry Jackson Society on what the EU owes the UK:

European integration is largely a product of peace and security, not its cause. While the EU has helped to dampen distrust between ancient opponents, Europe is peaceful and prosperous today primarily because the UK and the US have been willing to finance sophisticated armed forces and nuclear forces to deter countries – both within and without NATO, and by extension the EU – from disrupting the status quo. Whatever role the EU has played has been at best supplemental.

http://henryjacksonsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/HJS-Policy-Briefing-What-the-EU-Owes-the-UK-Final.pdf

Completely flabbergasting that a rightwing, Atlanticist think tank would take that view.

Liam Fox is a big HJSocialite isn't he?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

@HYUFD voted remain.

You can also add the north to your west York ban from London ;-)
    maybe it's HYUFD's twin brother.

Where and what exactly am I allowed?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

In Limburg, the hilly part of the Netherlands. Catholic in an otherwise Protestant country and a bastion of Geert WIlders, a genuinely racist politician. Pleasant city apart from that ...
  • Options

Well they let me into the first class lounges, but I do have famously high standards of sartorial elegance.

Before a flight to the US a few years ago I shared a first class lounge with a pop star dressed in a tracksuit and you could have easily mistaken then for a guest on the Jeremy Kyle show.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    TOPPING said:

A quick google gives foreign born population in Barnsley of 4% - less than half the national average.
    Maybe we should just give the man what he wants and see what happens.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

Almost in Belgium, though! If the local landowner had been Catholic.....or am I too simplistic?
    The borders in that part of the world have been very mobile.

Arsene Wenger, for example, would be a German if events had turned out slightly different.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

A quick google gives foreign born population in Barnsley of 4% - less than half the national average.
    Well we don't know where you live to tell us.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

There's a reason why the rest of Yorkshire people call people from Barnsley 'Dingles'
  • Options

TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

Arsene Wenger, for example, would be a German if events had turned out slightly different.
    There was an interesting "Who do you think you are", with JK Rowling, some of whose family came from Alsace. Some ended up German and some French depending on what they had done after the transfer from France to Germany in 1871.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

How much success did Arsenal miss out on?!
  • Options
    Joe Twyman is leaving YouGov after 18 years...

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/941616802529992704
  • Options

TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

How much success did Arsenal miss out on?!
    Mainly penalty shoot outs.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Why does it matter where I live?

He got a big clap for saying end freedom of movement - in a place with hardly any immigrants.
    This seems to a common theme - places with low immigration are very opposed to immigration.
    I want to understand why.
  • Options

Joe Twyman is leaving YouGov after 18 years...

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/941616802529992704

People were still asking about Keith Vaz though...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Some Remainers want to stay in the single market or even reverse Brexit, some Leavers want to go straight to WTO terms and not pay the EU a penny. However most voters want a FTA with the EU that ends free movement which is precisely what May is aiming for

I don't remember that being on the ballot paper :)
    That's why I don't get this hard/soft/medium-done Brexit business. Whatever type of Brexit you get, Government has done what it was told. It got us out of the EU. Job done.
    To an extent although some of the more extreme BINO proposals ignore the spirit of the vote
    What spirit? There were as many notions of Brexit as there were voters.

If there was a 'spirit' at all I should say that there was a sort of curmudgeonly 'eff 'em all attitude.

That was perfectly understandable but difficult to distil a coherent foreign and economic policy out of it.
    The vote is to leave the EU. That's all.

Lots of different people have different interpretations but there comes a point with extreme BINO where you observe the letter but not the spirit

If for example, we were to leave the EU but at the same time remain members of the SM/CU, send observers with voting rights to the Council of Ministers, take all regulatory rules, pay billions of Euros a year in perpetuity sign up for membership of an EU army and agree to use the Euro then I would say that observes the letter but not the spirit of the vote

If we were to leave the EU but remain members of the SM and CU I would view it as a mistake, but not a breach of the spirit of the vote
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

He got a big clap for saying end freedom of movement - in a place with hardly any immigrants.
    This seems to a common theme - places with low immigration are very opposed to immigration.
    An easy guide:

thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/man-claims-hius-life-being-ruined-by-immigration-but-cant-explain-how-20170227122932
  • Options
    Mr. rkrkrk, that's partly because of white flight, and also because respondents from places with high numbers of migrants are more likely to be migrants themselves. Of course, it will also be the case that natives from such areas may well get along nicely with migrants.

A problem is talking of migration as a block, whereas there's a world of difference between migrant groups. Indians and Chinese tend to be rather good. Other groups do not (or, at least, have higher prevalence of criminality).
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Off the top of my head, maybe they want to keep it that way? Maybe they look at parts of their country which have had high immigration and are not totally enthused with the multiculturalism that thrives there?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Off the top of my head, maybe they want to keep it that way? Maybe they look at parts of their country which have had high immigration and are not totally enthused with the multiculturalism that thrives there?
    Thanks for the response.
    To me the tone of his point was not - Barnsley is great but we want to end FOM to preserve how it is/help out those poor londoners struggling with their multiculturalism. To me he seemed unhappy with the current situation in Barnsley - not seeking to preserve it.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Because they are on the left hand side of the Bell Curve.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Seriously? They what, drove through Bourne, saw all those white anglo-saxon protestants, or white continental catholics - and thought: uh uh, no thank you. That it?

Or perhaps you are confusing wanting to be in control of immigration (fair enough), with dislike of immigration (...).

Or perhaps you are looking at it in the wrong way - as in when people talk about multiculturalism, it ain't the white Poles buying sausage from the Polish shop on the High Street they are thinking of...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

That would be more persuasive if it were not for the fact that many of those places with very low immigration where people are very opposed to immigration are, not to put too fine a point on it, already shitholes.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

[...]

Brexit is about identity, as the article below explains quite well, I believe. Attitudes to immigration are part of those identities. Do you see freedom of movement as liberty or do you see it as an affront to nations being in control? [What Brexit actually means of course is giving power to bureaucracies and an explosion of red tape. But that's a practical issue that has nothing to do with identity]

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/940607648503869441
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Not if you have a ticket for business or first. If you are there by the grace of the airline or via a loyalty scheme then they usually insist on a dress code.
  • Options
    People actually fall for these scams???

Nigerian man jailed for role in global email scams

David Chukwuneke Adindu tricked victims into wiring more than $25m into bank accounts he opened in China

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/15/nigerian-man-jailed-for-role-in-global-email-scams?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews#link_time=1513326810
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Again Bradford voted leave, large immigration - Why leave ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,580
    FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

[...]

Brexit is about identity, as the article below explains quite well, I believe. Attitudes to immigration are part of those identities. Do you see freedom of movement as liberty or do you see it as an affront to nations being in control? [What Brexit actually means of course is giving power to bureaucracies and an explosion of red tape. But that's a practical issue that has nothing to do with identity]

I'm struggling to understand what is so Libertarian about being told what to do by the PM of Luxembourg.

Laters....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not if you have a ticket for business or first. If you are there by the grace of the airline or via a loyalty scheme then they usually insist on a dress code.
    Interesting. I have seen plenty of shorts and singlets in business/first class and that explains it.
  • Options

Mr. rkrkrk, that's partly because of white flight, and also because respondents from places with high numbers of migrants are more likely to be migrants themselves. Of course, it will also be the case that natives from such areas may well get along nicely with migrants.

A problem is talking of migration as a block, whereas there's a world of difference between migrant groups. Indians and Chinese tend to be rather good. Other groups do not (or, at least, have higher prevalence of criminality).

None of those explanations can explain such a strong phenomenon.
    London for instance has something like 35% foreign born. That’s still 65% from the UK who should be ripe targets for UKIP/anti immigration sentiment. And yet nothing.

You might like to read this on White flight:
    https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/case-studies/white-flight-the-emerging-story

In Barnsley - I wonder how many people are white Londoners/from places with high immigration. My guess would be very few.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

That would be more persuasive if it were not for the fact that many of those places with very low immigration where people are very opposed to immigration are, not to put too fine a point on it, already shitholes.
    Maybe that's not the way he sees it. Just maybe that is your metropolitan elite bias showing...Just a theory of course.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

The man said immigration was hurting working class people, I take that to mean wages.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

She wears them outside in all weathers? Yeah, sure....
  • Options
    @Richard_Tyndall: I've just seen your reply on the £40bn and the transition deal the other day, sorry I didn't reply then. I was going off this snippet in the Guardian's live blog on the day:

'Britain’s divorce bill is estimated to be £35bn-£39bn (€40bn-€45bn), it has been disclosed.

The UK will only pay if a wider withdrawal agreement is struck by Brexit day and there is swift agreement on a transition period. It includes the payment promised by Theresa May in her Florence speech, which she linked to a two-year “implementation period”, as she describes it. The EU is not linking the sum to the transition period, however.

If the UK wants a transition period beyond 31 December 2020, when the current seven-year EU budget ends, it will have to pay more. The EU is also leaving open the question of whether or not it will seek additional funds in return for the transition period. The money will be paid over time rather than in a lump sum.'

If our commentators are saying the £39bn includes the cost of a transition, that is not how the Europeans seem to have understood it. They're interpreting it as May agreeing to their position that her initial £18bn offer should be doubled before the second stage could be begun, without linking the extra to the transition period (because for them it wasn't within the scope of the first stage).

I don't know what the legal position is, though.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Maybe that's not the way he sees it. Just maybe that is your metropolitan elite bias showing...Just a theory of course.
    Perhaps. As a metropolitan elitist, I'd rather spend time in London, Brighton, Cambridge or Edinburgh than Barnsley, Clacton or Stoke-on-Trent. Tourism figures would show that there are more metropolitan elitists out there than are commonly suspected.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

twitter.com/standardnews/status/941583642505117696

It was for access to the lounge, not the flight.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

[...]

I'm struggling to understand what is so Libertarian about being told what to do by the PM of Luxembourg.

Laters....
    Because the alternative is being told what to do by an American Fascist.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting. I have seen plenty of shorts and singlets in business/first class and that explains it.
    Yeah, if you have paid for a ticket the airline can't really say or do anything to stop you wearing whatever you want (unless you decide to break indecency laws, of course). At the end of the day, when I pay £1300 for club class I'm not having some haughty check in attendant tell me to put shoes on rather than my converse. If I'm flying cattle but want to use my EC membership to go into the lounge they are well within their rights to tell me to put shoes on.
  • Options

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

[...]

Laters....
    We're only being told what to do by the PM of Luxembourg because we have realised, or about to realise, that as long as the EU "owns" Europe we have no good alternative to a close relationship with the EU on its terms. Which means the PM of Luxembourg gets a say over our affairs that he wouldn't have had if we had remained in the EU. You voted Leave, but want a close relationship with the EU, I believe? Luxembourg, the Irish etc telling us what's what is the consequence of that contradiction.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Same rules aiui. Paying customers get to wear whatever they want, executive club members have to abide by the dress code.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    As a child of immigrants myself, I have very little issue with immigration, but that's because I hve very little traditionally British cultural heritage. However, I can understand that people of a more culturally British family background would be sensitive to feeling it was under threat. When people look at these people and call them idiots on the left hand side of the bell curve who live in shitholes, I just find it ugly, intolerant politics. It's little better than the Momentum yobs that have taken over the Labour Party or the right wing UKIP bigots. It's all about dividing the country into tribes and throwing abuse at those in other ones.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

I’m interestwd in the low immigration - opposition to immigration phenomenon.

I’m not saying all places with high immigration are in favour.

As for bradford - my understanding is that most immigration there is from outside the EU.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Same rules aiui. Paying customers get to wear whatever they want, executive club members have to abide by the dress code.
    Not for the Qantas lounge, apparently!
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

As for bradford - my understanding is that most immigration there is from outside the EU.
    bingo!
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah, that's a bit mental, if you've paid for club class then you should be able to use all of the services within the club class provision in whatever clothes you want.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah, that's a bit mental, if you've paid for club class then you should be able to use all of the services within the club class provision in whatever clothes you want.
    Not sure why it gives you that right? All you’ve paid for is carriage between two cities.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Not where I live in recent years,low skilled immigration from the EU (Eastern europe)

The quality of life where I live was already poor but some bright spark had the idea to make it poorer.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

As a child of immigrants myself, I have very little issue with immigration, but that's because I hve very little traditionally British cultural heritage. However, I can understand that people of a more culturally British family background would be sensitive to feeling it was under threat. When people look at these people and call them idiots on the left hand side of the bell curve who live in shitholes, I just find it ugly, intolerant politics. It's little better than the Momentum yobs that have taken over the Labour Party or the right wing UKIP bigots. It's all about dividing the country into tribes and throwing abuse at those in other ones.

'It's little better than the Momentum yobs that have taken over the Labour Party or the right wing UKIP bigots. It's all about dividing the country into tribes and throwing abuse at those in other ones.'

The first sentence being a pretty good application of the second sentence, well done.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Not where I live in recent years,low skilled immigration from the EU (Eastern europe)

The quality of life where I live was already poor but some bright spark had the idea to make it poorer.
    OK that is interesting. So contradicting the Daily Mash piece - someone it has personally affected. In what way has it done so?
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure why it gives you that right? All you’ve paid for is carriage between two cities.
    It depends on what it says when you book it. If it says it includes use of the business lounge then they should let you in (BA do).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

It depends on what it says when you book it. If it says it includes use of the business lounge then they should let you in (BA do).
    It probably also said there was a dress code when she booked it. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Remind me to not book with Qantas!
  • Options
    Elliot said:

To be clear, my view of the Brexit vote is that it was driven in such places precisely because the locals perceived them as failing - shitholes, if you like. The vote in such areas was at least as much a product of austerity as anti-immigration sentiment. In such places, the vote was not a product of people defensively protecting an area that they were proud of but desperately casting around for solutions to stop things getting still worse.

The really interesting question is why prosperous areas in the south voted for Leave in such large numbers. That was a much more unusual phenomenon, but is much less remarked upon.
  • Options

@Richard_Tyndall: I've just seen your reply on the £40bn and the transition deal the other day, sorry I didn't reply then. I was going off this snippet in the Guardian's live blog on the day:

'Britain’s divorce bill is estimated to be £35bn-£39bn (€40bn-€45bn), it has been disclosed.

The UK will only pay if a wider withdrawal agreement is struck by Brexit day and there is swift agreement on a transition period. It includes the payment promised by Theresa May in her Florence speech, which she linked to a two-year “implementation period”, as she describes it. The EU is not linking the sum to the transition period, however.

If the UK wants a transition period beyond 31 December 2020, when the current seven-year EU budget ends, it will have to pay more. The EU is also leaving open the question of whether or not it will seek additional funds in return for the transition period. The money will be paid over time rather than in a lump sum.'

If our commentators are saying the £39bn includes the cost of a transition, that is not how the Europeans seem to have understood it. They're interpreting it as May agreeing to their position that her initial £18bn offer should be doubled before the second stage could be begun, without linking the extra to the transition period (because for them it wasn't within the scope of the first stage).

I wouldn't expect payments to be massively bigger than already agreed to cover the first two years of transition. That's because we are committed to pay up to 2020 anyway. I note one of the ways the UK government has massaged the €60 billion estimate to £39 billion is to pay a chunk of the exit fee early, before we leave the EU in 2019, so the remainder is made smaller.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

interesting:

https://ausbt.com.au/is-there-a-qantas-club-dress-code

Of course UGG boots should be banned everywhere.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

[...]

Laters....
    We're only being told what to do by the PM of Luxembourg because we have realised, or about to realise, that as long as the EU "owns" Europe we have no good alternative to a close relationship with the EU on its terms. Which means the PM of Luxembourg gets a say over our affairs that he wouldn't have had if we had remained in the EU. You voted Leave, but want a close relationship with the EU, I believe? Luxembourg, the Irish etc telling us what's what is the consequence of that contradiction.
    As James Connolly said: 'If you remove the English army tomorrow and hoist the green flag over Dublin Castle, unless you set about the organization of the Socialist Republic your efforts would be in vain. England would still rule you. She would rule you through her capitalists, through her landlords, through her financiers, through the whole array of commercial and individualist institutions she has planted in this country and watered with the tears of our mothers and the blood of our martyrs.'

How do you reconcile an integrated world economy that makes us all interdependent, alongside a desire for national sovereignty? We'll be alone in our little rowing boat getting tossed about by a stormy sea, free to row impotently in whatever direction we like, and we'll call it national sovereignty.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

interesting:

The clue is in the name isn't it?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

interesting:

Good to see hi-vis jackets are okay... :D
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

interesting:

Good to see hi-vis jackets are okay... :D
    Yes workwear is fine as long as you haven't come straight from digging the trench.

They actually define UGG boots as sleepwear hence the ban.

https://qantas.com/travel/airlines/qantas-club-dress-guidelines/global/en
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

[...]

Laters....
    Except in the situations where countries still have a veto, then he’d still have a say over our affairs even if we were in the EU.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Postwar there was significant immigration from Poland and the Ukraine, too (the number of Catholic churches and schools is a clue...).
    And before that, Germany.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

OK that is interesting. So contradicting the Daily Mash piece - someone it has personally affected. In what way has it done so?
    Health for one,the sign up by people from eastern europe at the local health centre, you be lucky to see a doc.

I could go on but work to do,not forgetting transport, schools and the low skilled we let in ,so they all have jobs ? My area says different.

Like I said,it comes down to the quality of life for me.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TOPPING said:

Health for one,the sign up by people from eastern europe at the local health centre, you be lucky to see a doc.

I could go on but work to do,not forgetting transport, schools and the low skilled we let in ,so they all have jobs ? My area says different.

Like I said,it comes down to the quality of life for me.
    So you can't get to see a doc if you phone up for an appointment? That is a real effect. The others, would be very interested when you have some time to post in more detail.
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    edited December 2017
    FF43 said:

I wouldn't expect payments to be massively bigger than already agreed to cover the first two years of transition. That's because we are committed to pay up to 2020 anyway. I note one of the ways the UK government has massaged the €60 billion estimate to £39 billion is to pay a chunk of the exit fee early, before we leave the EU in 2019, so the remainder is made smaller.
    I find it weird that £40bn was interpreted as her massaging it down anyway, a couple of weeks previously and it was bandied about as a terribly high figure (e.g. https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/882041/brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-40bn-divorce-bill-bananas-david-davis-boris-johnson).

The £100bn (against which it seems small) floated by the FT people was liabilities rather than the final settlement, and actually translated into what we actually got:

'Alex Barker and George Parker of the Financial Times says of the same negotiations that the UK will assume liabilities “worth up to €100bn” (£88bn). However, he says that the net figure (after deductions for payments made to the UK) could fall to less than half of that – “with the UK side pressing for an implied figure of €40-45bn” (£35-£40bn).'

It's the upper end of an estimate regarded previously as unreasonably high, and she's applauded for it. Plus, it's not even final (even if, as you think, the extra will be small). Just baffling.
This discussion has been closed.