Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Young voters are much more opposed to blue passports being bro

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

malcolmg said:
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:
    Something predicted hours after the vote, if not before it - it will surely be razor tight when the question next arises, and despite the regaining of ground by unionists in the GE, clearly they are simply too many independence supporters in Scotland for the question not to be asked again at some point.
    I think it is clear that there won't be another referendum until after 2022, probably much later.
    The outcome will, I think, depend on how successful Brexit is, which no one can really know.
    It is a high risk strategy that the conservatives have embarked on, that could well lead to the break up of the UK.
    I have to say that I am not that bothered either way. I wish the scots the best if they want to become independent and rejoin the EU. Its their choice.
    Maybe the UK has outlived its purpose, if so then it is sad, but so be it.
    Given the SNP lost almost half their MPs in June, the DUP has won 2 NI elections since the referendum and Wales voted Leave anyway and Plaid is still miles behind Welsh Labour, the union is now arguably stronger thsn it was before the Brexit vote.
    Maybe: but it is just a moment in time. I'm more interested about what is happening over time, the big picture (sorry for the cliche)

Even so, malcolmg is quoting a survey that suggests that 49% of scots would vote to leave the UK and rejoin the EU as an independent scotland; so there are good reasons to cast doubt on your certainty.

Now that the Euro crisis has abated, joining the Euro solves the currency issue.
    A curveball might be if a Northern Irish border poll comes first and is lost by the unionists. That could go either way in terms of its psychological impact in Scotland, but I’d expect the zeitgeist to be that the union is no longer fit for purpose.
    There will.never be an Irish border poll while the DUP remains the largest party in Northern Ireland or indeed until SF and the SDLP win a majority at Stormont. Despite your predictions Unionist parties have won more seats than nationalists in every election in the UK since the EU referendum
    The times they are a-changin’.
    https://twitter.com/irelandelects/status/942029754089091072
    Margin of error :smiley:
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I got a new passport recently. The inside has been compleatly redesigned compared to my old one with different images on each page; I assume this is to make forging one a pain.

Grammar police

I doubt it has been "compleatly" redesigned.
    He may be a Munro climber? Bagging one's final peak is traditional called compleating, spelt thus.
    I wish. At the moment I'm doing well if I climb a chiltern.
    My excuse is a small phone and old glasses.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    RobD said:

What was it they used to say? “One day the empire will fall because of the margin of error.” Something like that anyway...
  • Options

RobD said:

What was it they used to say? “One day the empire will fall because of the margin of error.” Something like that anyway...
    And that's what happened in June 2016.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited December 2017

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

malcolmg said:
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:
    Something predicted hours after the vote, if not before it - it will surely be razor tight when the question next arises, and despite the regaining of ground by unionists in the GE, clearly they are simply too many independence supporters in Scotland for the question not to be asked again at some point.
    I think it is clear that there won't be another referendum until after 2022, probably much later.
    The outcome will, I think, depend on how successful Brexit is, which be it.
    Given the SNP lost almost half their MPs in June, the DUP has won 2 NI elections since the referendum and Wales voted Leave anyway and Plaid is still miles behind Welsh Labour, the union is now arguably stronger thsn it was before the Brexit vote.
    Maybe: but it is just a moment in time. I'm more interested about what is happening over time, the big picture (sorry for the cliche)

Even so, malcolmg is quoting a survey that suggests that 49% of scots would vote to leave the UK and rejoin the EU as an independent scotland; so there are good reasons to cast doubt on your certainty.

Now that the Euro crisis has abated, joining the Euro solves the currency issue.
    A curveball might be if a Northern Irish border poll comes first and is lost by the unionists. That could go either way in terms of its psychological impact in Scotland, but I’d expect the zeitgeist to be that the union is no longer fit for purpose.
    There will.never be an Irish border poll while the DUP remains the largest party in Northern Ireland or indeed until SF and the SDLP win a majority at Stormont. Despite your predictions Unionist parties have won more seats than nationalists in every election in the UK since the EU referendum
    The DUP still ahead in Northern Ireland and the Unionist vote combined still more than the Nationalist vote combined? No change there then.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Nikki Haley holds a reception for the 65 nations that did not vote for the resolution condemning the US stance on Jerusalem.
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/nikki-haley-to-host-friendship-party-with-countries-in-the-un-on-jerusalem-2017-12?r=US&IR=T

The UK, being one of the 128 nations that voted for the resolution, was not invited. Never mind the 'Special Relationship' after yesterday's vote it looks like the UK is not even in the top 65 favoured nations of Trump's USA

No, it looks like the UK was not invited because it failed to meet the criterion for being invited. Doh.
    Yes because we pissed off the US delegation
    Have we?
    Well they refused us an invite to the post vote reception with the US delegation
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Nikki Haley holds a reception for the 65 nations that did not vote for the resolution condemning the US stance on Jerusalem.
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/nikki-haley-to-host-friendship-party-with-countries-in-the-un-on-jerusalem-2017-12?r=US&IR=T

The UK, being one of the 128 nations that voted for the resolution, was not invited. Never mind the 'Special Relationship' after yesterday's vote it looks like the UK is not even in the top 65 favoured nations of Trump's USA

No, it looks like the UK was not invited because it failed to meet the criterion for being invited. Doh.
    Have we?
    Well they refused us an invite to the post vote reception with the US delegation
    That doesn’t mean we pissed them off. Who knows what is said behind closed doors. I think you are mistaken if you think this is going to seismically alter relations between the US and UK.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited December 2017
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Have we?
    That doesn’t mean we pissed them off. Who knows what is said behind closed doors. I think you are mistaken if you think this is going to seismically alter relations between the US and UK.
    If the extent of our relationship is derailed due to hurt feelings over this one vote, then it clearly wasn't worth crap in any case. The whole point of a deep and abiding relationship would be that it endures the occasional disagreement or the whims of individual politicians. Trump backed a guy who made claims GCHQ had bugged Trump on Obama's behalf, that led to criticism, it didn't ruin the relationship.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Have we?
    Of course we pissed them off. Trump said he would slash funding for nations who voted against the US on this vote and Haley said she would take notes of nations who voted against but the UK did not even abstain but went full steam ahead and voted against the US anyway.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

RobD said:

Poor old Willie - hates the crown , takes the half crown.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    More generally, f***ing hell Liverpool. Dominate, but no advantage because of laziness, typical. They have no ability to handle any type of pressure, and as long as he's had to toughen them up, that's on Klopp.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

William Glenn increasingly makes Lord Haw Haw look like a patriot!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

More generally, f***ing hell Liverpool. Dominate, but no advantage because of laziness, typical. They have no ability to handle any type of pressure, and as long as he's had to toughen them up, that's on Klopp.

I wonder how long before we get Sean Dyche to Anfield talk.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Have we?
    Of course we pissed them off. Trump said he would slash funding for nations who voted against the US on this vote and Haley said she would take notes of nations who voted against but the UK did not even abstain but went full steam ahead and voted against the US anyway.
    Perhaps they wont want us to join in with their next war.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Have we?
    Perhaps they wont want us to join in with their next war.
    I doubt Trump will be going into any more actual military wars, trade wars maybe
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,270
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

malcolmg said:
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

The DUP still ahead in Northern Ireland and the Unionist vote combined still more than the Nationalist vote combined? No change there then.
    Except that the unionists are losing their historic majority position.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

Sad little troll. Won’t be seen for dust after Brexit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Worst tip since Diane Abbot for next Lab Leader... ??

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/friday-premier-league-tips/135056
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

malcolmg said:
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

There will.never be an Irish the UK since the EU referendum
    Only because of the rise of the Alliance who are cross-party, not nationalist
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

Sad little troll. Won’t be seen for dust after Brexit.
    Except in Brussels
  • Options

kle4 said:

Hmm, two attacking teams with fragile defences? Of course, 1-1 is likely!
  • Options
    This Liverpool team are going to kill me.
  • Options

Remember when you told me that they were improving, and Klopp's methods were bearing fruit?

One of your funnier jokes.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited December 2017
    kle4 said:

Remember when you told me that they were improving, and Klopp's methods were bearing fruit?

I still have faith in Klopp.

Attacking wise, we are better than sex.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I don't, but it's not like anyone else has been able to sort out this defence either.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I don't, but it's not like anyone else has been able to sort out this defence either.
    Joint managers.

Klopp to deal with the attacking side, and Rafa to deal with the defence.
  • Options

kle4 said:

That has to be the dirtiest and latest tackle since Dele Alli's last performance.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why anyone would care either way. The designs on the inside pages of the passport are much more interesting and these are currently lovely in my present version.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,835
    HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

malcolmg said:
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:
    The outcome will, I think, depend on how successful Brexit is, which no one can really know.
    It is a high risk strategy that the conservatives have embarked on, that could well lead to the break up of the UK.
    I have to say that I am not that bothered either way. I wish the scots the best if they want to become independent and rejoin the EU. Its their choice.

The most recent survey by Lucid Talk had 56/34% favouring the UK. Public support for maintaing the UK in its constituent parts is pretty strong.
  • Options
    More to the point, why aren't the EU passports blue to match the EU flag? Silly sausages. We might not have voted to Leave if they hadn't made that amateurish mistake.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    It's a decision by this government so by definition it's not smart.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

malcolmg said:
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:
    Somethine point.

The most recent survey by Lucid Talk had 56/34% favouring the UK. Public support for maintaing the UK in its constituent parts is pretty strong.
    Nope, if your largest party is for Indy, that means the public as a whole will vote indy. That's what happened in Scotland after all. Wait...

(as a supporter of the union I'm never complacent though)
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

It's a decision by this government so by definition it's not smart.

I think that's unfair - sheer number of decisions means that by chance some will be smart, even if by accident.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

malcolmg said:
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:
    I think it is clear th

Although not if the alternative is a hard border, which is what a Canada-style deal implies.
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/938825404542078976
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287

Betting tactic - when they lead, lay them.

I laid them when score was 0-2 tonight at 1.13.

Of course it doesn't work every time but it works often enough to be a very profitable strategy so far this season.
  • Options

kle4 said:

That has to be the dirtiest and latest tackle since Dele Alli's last performance.
    I thank you.
  • Options
    Looks like Rocket Man is Billy No Mates...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Have we?
    If we're going to vote with the US every time for fear of not being invited to a reception we might as well just give up and ask to beome the 51st state!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Life expectancy drops in America again:

"US life expectancy fell last year for a second year running for the first time in more than half a century, reportedly driven by the worsening opioid crisis.
    Life expectancy in 2016 fell 0.1 years to 78.6, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.
    It was the first consecutive drop since 1962-63. The last two-year decline before that was in the 1920s."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42452733
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Have we?
    If we're going to vote with the US every time for fear of not being invited to a reception we might as well just give up and ask to beome the 51st state!
    Correct to vote against Trump on this no matter the cost with him
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Christmas spirit a bit thin on the ground this year.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859

More to the point, why aren't the EU passports blue to match the EU flag? Silly sausages. We might not have voted to Leave if they hadn't made that amateurish mistake.

This was my main reason for voting Leave!!!

When I get my blue passport I can paint some white stripes on it to remind me of the greatest football team on earth.

And Ohhh Jeeerrremy Cooorrbyn
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    AndyJS said:

Life expectancy drops in America again:

"US life expectancy fell last year for a second year running for the first time in more than half a century, reportedly driven by the worsening opioid crisis.
    Life expectancy in 2016 fell 0.1 years to 78.6, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.
    It was the first consecutive drop since 1962-63. The last two-year decline before that was in the 1920s."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42452733

They haven't even factored in the effects of a nuclear strike from North Korea yet...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Aren’t you overreacting just a bit?
    No, Trump is notorious for his grudges and we can probably forget about a trade deal with the US for good or ill any time soon. In my view even if we were not going to vote with the USA and Israel we should at least have abstained like Australia, Canada and Poland, not vote against the US as we did yesterday.
    Why not? We are a sovereign nation are we not? Foreign Policy is decided in Whitehall in our interests.
    You may disagree with the vote, but the President of USA has no right to determine it.
    Yes - Europhile though I am, I woluldn't accept Tusk saying unless we voted the way he liked, he'd "take our name" and there would be consequences. The same goes for Trump, Putin or anyone else who tries to use threats.
  • Options

This was my main reason for voting Leave!!!

When I get my blue passport I can paint some white stripes on it to remind me of the greatest football team on earth.

And Ohhh Jeeerrremy Cooorrbyn
    I wouldn't have clocked you as an Argentinian fan?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

malcolmg said:
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

There will.never be an Irish the UK since the EU referendum
    Only because of the rise of the Alliance who are cross-party, not nationalist
    They've been stuck on that sort of percentage for years.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited December 2017
    A United Ireland always sounds nice in theory.

Tell people in NI if they earn more than 15k euro a year as a family unit they will have to pay 70 euro a night to stay in a hospital, pay 50 euro to see a GP and 100 euro to go to casualty even for their 9 year old sick child they might not be so keen. And what about losing the £10 billion a year subsidy the UK provides - the Republic couldn't cover that - which would decimate other public services. Let alone voracious inheritance tax - particularly if you are childless and want to leave your estate to your nephews or nieces or siblings.

Pretty much everyone in NI keeps EU freedom of movement rights as they are Irish citizens by birthright. They surely get the best of both worlds

So fine in theory - but when they see the real consequences people in the six counties like the Scots may be less keen!
  • Options
    £500M Well spent on new passport. I mean it's not as if public services could do with half a billion is it.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Have we?
    exactly
  • Options

£500M Well spent on new passport. I mean it's not as if public services could do with half a billion is it.

Aside from that fake news , there was some real good news today..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/22/gdp-grew-04pc-final-reading-third-quarter-says-ons/

Britain’s economy grew by 0.4pc in the third quarter and by 1.7pc on the year, an unexpectedly strong result which indicates the UK is proving more resilient than feared.

Sustained household spending growth helped drive the increase, as well as expansions in the accounting, recruitment and retailing sectors which were strong performers in the dominant services industry.

Manufacturers were also boosted by rising exports and sales of new car models, the Office for National Statistics said.
  • Options

Have you been reading those fake news websites again?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/22/gdp-grew-04pc-final-reading-third-quarter-says-ons/

Britain’s economy grew by 0.4pc in the third quarter and by 1.7pc on the year, an unexpectedly strong result which indicates the UK is proving more resilient than feared.

Sustained household spending growth helped drive the increase, as well as expansions in the accounting, recruitment and retailing sectors which were strong performers in the dominant services industry.

Manufacturers were also boosted by rising exports and sales of new car models, the Office for National Statistics said.
    You mean the news that we have the slowest growth in the G7. Takes all sorts I suppose.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Good evening all.

Lovely to see PB so cheery ;). I do not care about the colour of my passport; rather more pleased about the new wording.

We intend to visit a supermarket late on Christmas eve and buy *something* where *something* could be turkey/goose/duck/beef depending on what is left after the scrum.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

No, Trump is notorious for his grudges and we can probably forget about a trade deal with the US for good or ill any time soon. In my view even if we were not going to vote with the USA and Israel we should at least have abstained like Australia, Canada and Poland, not vote against the US as we did yesterday.
    Why not? We are a sovereign nation are we not? Foreign Policy is decided in Whitehall in our interests.
    You may disagree with the vote, but the President of USA has no right to determine it.
    Yes - Europhile though I am, I woluldn't accept Tusk saying unless we voted the way he liked, he'd "take our name" and there would be consequences. The same goes for Trump, Putin or anyone else who tries to use threats.
    Going by his posts today, HYUFD would agree to anything that Trump suggested, to try and preserve the 'special relationship'.

So, even if that meant the nuclear anhillation of another country, or setting a chain of events off that plunged an entire continent in to war, it would be worth it to preserve the special relationship. Hmmm.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923

TGOHF said:

You mean the news that we have the slowest growth in the G7. Takes all sorts I suppose.
    Hold on. Didn't you vote to leave ?!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited December 2017
    TGOHF said:

Rejoice at being the slowest growing economy in the EU, G7 whatever you take. Denmark , Belgium and Italy are scraping above us.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    malcolmg said:
    But was that taken before or after the news of the new blue passports....
  • Options

Yes it's only costing 72 pounds and 10 shillings.

Or perhaps it's completely free and no old ones will be written off at all
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2017
    nielh said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Going by his posts today, HYUFD would agree to anything that Trump suggested, to try and preserve the 'special relationship'.

So, even if that meant the nuclear anhillation of another country, or setting a chain of events off that plunged an entire continent in to war, it would be worth it to preserve the special relationship. Hmmm.
    I've said this several times before (and long time denizens of this site will know my background and thus [I hope!] believe I know what I'm talking about), the 'special relationship' is really based on tens of thousands of personal relationships between the various branches of the UKUSA and defence communities. It's not entirely immune to the vagaries of politics, but the bonds between officials are not easily broken. This is the real value of integrees and liaison roles.
  • Options
    I nominate David Herdson's post the evening before the General Election as Post of the Year.

It should be a thread in it's own right.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Usually these ridiculous stories turn out to be totally made up. Easily checked:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/blue-uk-passport-to-return-after-eu-exit

"New blue and gold passports will be issued from October 2019, when the new passport contract begins, to those renewing or applying for a new passport.
    There is no need for British passport holders to do anything ahead of their current passport renewal date."
  • Options
    John_M said:

nielh said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

I've said this several times before (and long time denizens of this site will know my background and thus [I hope!] believe I know what I'm talking about), the 'special relationship' is really based on tens of thousands of personal relationships between the various branches of the UKUSA and defence communities. It's not entirely immune to the vagaries of politics, but the bonds between officials are not easily broken. This is the real value of integrees and liaison roles.
    It would have to be pretty darn weak if the vagaries of politics fractured it so easily. I can easily believe it is not as much as some think it is, but even as a layman its clear there's a lot of cooperation well beyond what we see day to day.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Hold on. Didn't you vote to leave ?!
    Yes I have explained that it was entirely so I could have a blue and white passport!

Definitely nothing to do with the EU being a barrier to state ownership/subsidy.
  • Options

Surely they're redesigned or reprinted from time to time, and this time they just add 'make it blue' to the spec sheet, why would it cost anything it wouldn't already cost to manufacture them, I'm confused?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I nominate David Herdson's post the evening before the General Election as Post of the Year.

I agree pity Martin Kaboom Boon didnt take any notice and trashed ICMs gold standard status.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Surely they're redesigned or reprinted from time to time, and this time they just add 'make it blue' to the spec sheet, why would it cost anything it wouldn't already cost to manufacture them, I'm confused?
    Do they have the exact number of magenta ones or will that stock be scrapped?
  • Options

You really need to stop reading the likes of the Canary....
  • Options
    edited December 2017

surbiton said:

I agree pity Martin Kaboom Boon didnt take any notice and trashed ICMs gold standard status.
    I take it he resigned.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Without a doubt. It was a most memorable post: momentous, from the heart, timely, and prescient.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Usually these ridiculous stories turn out to be totally made up. Easily checked:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/blue-uk-passport-to-return-after-eu-exit

"New blue and gold passports will be issued from October 2019, when the new passport contract begins, to those renewing or applying for a new passport.
    There is no need for British passport holders to do anything ahead of their current passport renewal date."
    Luckily my current passport runs out in August 2019, so I will still get a burgundy [ EU ] passport. This puzzles me slightly, if Britain is "independent" on 29th March 2019.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

I take it he resigned.
    No he had no porn on his work computer and in fairness he did retweet me when i made the Kaboom Boon pin sticking kit comment on twitter.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

kle4 said:

The current ones are burgundy aren't they? And I don't know how these things are produced, but I presume as they start to run out of copies they order up more that will cover the next 10 years, or whatever. Possibly a minor amount of stock will therefore not end up being used, but I don't know why it would be such a huge cost to the public purse. Are you saying unless every single burgundy one is used up, that's an outrage? Personally I like the present colour, but even knowing government knows how to overspend like crazy, could even they spend £500m more on top of what it would already have cost or have £500m worth of unused stock left over?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2017
    kle4 said:

They won't. In 2009 Gordon Brown's government awarded a 10 year contract for 400m for the entire passport process.

That contract is up, so they invite tenders to replace it. Add 8 year's inflation to 400m ...... you get 490m. That's all that's being talked about here, nothing to do with Brexit - just some ludicrous Fox News class lying by the Indy.
  • Options

You really need to stop reading the likes of the Canary....
    How much do you think the change will cost?
  • Options
    Taxman accused of ‘revenge of the Establishment’ as it slaps huge tax demands on Brexit-backing entrepreneurs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/22/exclusive-hmrc-accused-revenge-establishment-slaps-huge-tax/
  • Options
    Andrew said:

kle4 said:

They won't. In 2009 Gordon Brown's government awarded a 10 year contract for 400m for the entire passport process.

That contract is up, so they invite tenders to replace it. Add 8 year's inflation to 400m ...... you get 490m. There's nothing new here, it's continuing an existing contract.
    The new Great British passport will not be made in..........Britain.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

kle4 said:

They won't. In 2009 Gordon Brown's government awarded a 10 year contract for 400m for the entire passport process. That contact is up, so they invite tenders to replace it.

Add 8 year's inflation to 400m ...... you get 490m. By a massive coincidence, that's what the new contract is.
    Sigh, I know no one likes thinking about contracts, but that sounds pretty hard to manufacture into an outrage about this minor story.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The current ones are burgundy aren't they? And I don't know how these things are produced, but I presume as they start to run out of copies they order up more that will cover the next 10 years, or whatever. Possibly a minor amount of stock will therefore not end up being used, but I don't know why it would be such a huge cost to the public purse. Are you saying unless every single burgundy one is used up, that's an outrage? Personally I like the present colour, but even knowing government knows how to overspend like crazy, could even they spend £500m more on top of what it would already have cost or have £500m worth of unused stock left over?
    Don't know but there will clearly be some cos. I did see £500m quoted maybe it's too high, what do you think it will cost?
  • Options

Taxman accused of ‘revenge of the Establishment’ as it slaps huge tax demands on Brexit-backing entrepreneurs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/22/exclusive-hmrc-accused-revenge-establishment-slaps-huge-tax/

Oh ! So any Brexit supporting tax dodger cannot be asked to pay more tax.
  • Options

Excellent news - that's made my day! :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    surbiton said:

Andrew said:

kle4 said:

That contract is up, so they invite tenders to replace it. Add 8 year's inflation to 400m ...... you get 490m. There's nothing new here, it's continuing an existing contract.
    There'll be hell to pay if they're not.
    https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/944318549002280960
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2017

kle4 said:

You are talking utter horseshit...again..

“The UK passport is routinely redesigned every five years to guard against counterfeiting. We are launching the procurement process now to ensure there is sufficient time to produce and design UK passports from 2019 when the current contract ends."

So as the poster said, in terms of colour change, all that will be different is the spec sheet will say "blue". All the rest of the redesign / print is standard operating procedure to guard against counterfeiting.

While I am totally ambivalent towards the colour, it is a total non-issue in terms of cost.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Andrew said:

kle4 said:

Good job we don't pay duties on imports from the EU. Oh, wait...
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Don't know but there will clearly be some cos. I did see £500m quoted maybe it's too high, what do you think it will cost?
    Negligible. Why would even 10000 or even 100000 non used passports take up much of the contact cost? They must issue millions (for renewals etc). And if they redesign them regularly, they wouldn't have used up any unissued ones anyway.

It was weak on those being outraged for the symbolism of it (and pleased by it, but I get both), but cost seems a non starter.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604

surbiton said:

Andrew said:

kle4 said:

That is definitely a picture of a black passport.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell, chairman of the Flags and Heraldry Committee, said: “It’s a matter of identity. Having the pink European passports has been a source of humiliation. It merged us into one European identity, which isn’t what we are."

I am not sure which I find most startling Andrew Rosindell's 'source of humiliation' comment (really? - get a life!) or that there is a Flags and Heraldry Committee... FFS!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

surbiton said:

Andrew said:

kle4 said:

If you want to exclude foreign firms from government tenders, you can expect to sign free trade agreements with... absolutely no one.
  • Options
    surbiton said:
    It would be interesting to get a definitive response on it, since todate people's view ranges from 'of course' to 'of course not', and the more probable 'The text might not be clear on it, but if there was a political will to accept the UK doing that on its own'.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Andrew said:

kle4 said:

That is definitely a picture of a black passport.
    Now that is appropriate!
  • Options

Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell, chairman of the Flags and Heraldry Committee, said: “It’s a matter of identity. Having the pink European passports has been a source of humiliation. It merged us into one European identity, which isn’t what we are."

I am not sure which I find most startling Andrew Rosindell's 'source of humiliation' comment (really? - get a life!) or that there is a Flags and Heraldry Committee... FFS!
    Indeed.
  • Options

Well, people have been crying about the humiliation of the burgundy ones being taken away too, so some people are just seeking things to be humiliated by. On the Committee, well, you know you are low on favours if that is the committee you get lumped with.

I kid, although it sounds more like a hobby group best suited to an all-parliamentary group
  • Options
    edited December 2017

kle4 said:

“The UK passport is routinely redesigned every five years to guard against counterfeiting. We are launching the procurement process now to ensure there is sufficient time to produce and design UK passports from 2019 when the current contract ends."

So as the poster said, in terms of colour change, all that will be different is the spec sheet will say "blue". All the rest of the redesign / print is standard operating procedure to guard against counterfeiting.

While I am totally ambivalent towards the colour, it is a total non-issue in terms of cost.
    Ah so its nil then

OK Daily Express is my Horse Shit newspaper of choice

UKBritain's blue passport RETURNS - £500m project will REPLACE pink EU document after Brexit

Britain's blue passport RETURNS - £500m project will REPLACE pink EU document after Brexit

BRITAIN’S iconic dark blue passports are set to make a return as part of a £500million post-Brexit redesign.
    By CAROLINE WHEELER AND CAMILLA TOMINEY, EXCLUSIVE

And we are in for an Arctic Blast
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ah so its nil then

OK
    The last contract was basically the same. So yes nil.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2017
    The Daily Mail story is even more nonsense. They are getting enraged because the contract will be put out to tender that invites all eligible firms to bid, which of course includes EU based firms.

However, a UK firm based in Newcastle currently does the work, so you would think unless they make a right balls up of the tender they are more than likely to get the gig again.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Yorkcity said:
    I totally disagree with him. If it had been at the time of the information being gathered perhaps, but they had no idea this would come out so long after, and had no legitimate reason to be holding police information for personal use, even if people think it is in the public interest.

Though I must say the subheading is stronger than the words they quote from Brian Paddick, which is that he cannot imagine a jury would unanimously find it was not in the public interest.

The Police Federation are their usual mendacious selves - this happened after their service so are acting as private individuals...except for the admission of retaining for personal use police information after they left the service and were instructed not to retain them.

I don't even need to criticise Quick, since he is no position to get uppity about liars.
This discussion has been closed.