Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reviewing 2017: The polling that made me think 53% of the elec

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

'Failed your exams? No chance of a job? Join the Army!'

I like ham and pineapple pizza. In fact I like most pizza toppings. But I only like thin based pizza - none of this deep pan nonsense. It's the equivalent of making a sandwich by cutting a loaf in half.

After left v right, Leave v Remain and theist v atheist it is nice to find something else that PBers can disagree over.

Strangely, it is the lack of opportunity to go into combat that is affecting recruitment. Not being able to kill people for the last couple of years has been a bit of a downer.
    Wartime is when you have no difficulty in getting recruits.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572

We need polling on what the relationship is between pineapple on pizza and voting leave/blue passports/xenophobia.

Clearly all right-minded Leavers would never eat 'foreign muck' so the question of pizza topping choice does not apply.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,903

A doctor writes...

Pineapple works well on pizza, with its acidic sharpness helping esterify the fats, The sweetness helps balance the saltiness of the ham. Generally, sweet acidic sauces go well with fatty meats for this reason. Duck with orange sauce, vinegar on fish and chips etc.

It is however part of the reason for our nations obesity and diabetes epidemic. Over fatty, carb loaded salty food, taken too frequently and eaten quickly. The British diet of ready meals, confectionary and takeaways is killing us.

Now, I must go off and soak my lentils, kale and quinoa. Christmas dinner requires a lot of preparation...

Forget this pineapple on pizza triviality as a far more important discussion is how to pronounce quinoa.

I've heard that in London some poeple say 'keen-waa' whereas in Yorkshire it's still said properly 'quin-o-a'.
    Words are pronounced properly in Yorkshire? Fake news!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    That's the spirit, TSE, well said.

Goodwill to all, holiday sign off.
  • Options
    Pineapple is the food that keeps on giving. Especially fresh. If it was not such a faff to prepare from fresh I'd have it all the time.

It's one the few fruits that are great cooked, the little hot pockets of jucie ready to burst in your mouith. Love some pinapple in a curry. On a pizza as well. Or cheese on toast. Leave to cool a bit though or you could burn yuourself!
  • Options
    King Cole, thou art a jester.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I like ham and pineapple pizza. In fact I like most pizza toppings. But I only like thin based pizza - none of this deep pan nonsense. It's the equivalent of making a sandwich by cutting a loaf in half.

After left v right, Leave v Remain and theist v atheist it is nice to find something else that PBers can disagree over.

Strangely, it is the lack of opportunity to go into combat that is affecting recruitment. Not being able to kill people for the last couple of years has been a bit of a downer.
    Renting out the military could be a nice source of income.
  • Options

King Cole, thou art a jester.

I’ve got three actually.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    I have a busy day ahead so will wish everyone A Merry Christmas , hope Santa is good to you even Tories.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,927

We need polling on what the relationship is between pineapple on pizza and voting leave/blue passports/xenophobia.

Clearly all right-minded Leavers would never eat 'foreign muck' so the question of pizza topping choice does not apply.
    What about a pizza that's half plain, half pineapple? Would the base be hard or soft?
  • Options
    Mr. G, hope you have a good Christmas.

But don't pretend you don't love baby-eating Tories. You even coloured your flag the same hue ;)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Funnily enough, governments have frequently done that in the past.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

According to Google Maps Santa takes off in 25 minutes.
    https://santatracker.google.com/village.html

Places everyone.

You really should use the original. Google is entirely derivative and this is far more charming.

https://www.noradsanta.org/
  • Options

I think that's right. We mostly eat faggots, black pudding, mushy peas, and leak pies.
  • Options
    Seasons greetings to one & all - here are John Rentoul's top 10 Twitter jokes of 2017:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the-top-10-more-twitter-jokes-a8086876.html
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    malcolmg said:

I have a busy day ahead so will wish everyone A Merry Christmas , hope Santa is good to you even Tories.

Mrs Fox is refusing to serve me a third mug of tea in bed, so I may need to get up too.

Has she no Christmas spirit?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    Quite possibly the best thread header we've had all year... titters :D
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Funnily enough, governments have frequently done that in the past.
    Including European countries up to the 18th century.

It seems a natural thing for an EU army to be used for - I doubt many in Brussels would be concerned about casualties in an army recruited from the Eastern European poor.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think that's right. We mostly eat faggots LBQTs, black pudding, mushy peas, and leak pies.
    Tut tut......
  • Options
    I think I have finally managed to put my wallet away until 27th December. It has taken an absolute pounding. Advice from someone who knows: do not have grown-up children who live at home; love and treasure them from afar - it is much, much cheaper.

Good news, though, is that beer o’clock is only four hours away and I have a stunning bottle of red lined up for dinner tonight (assuming the kids do not down it all first).
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

A doctor writes...

Pineapple works well on pizza, with its acidic sharpness helping esterify the fats, The sweetness helps balance the saltiness of the ham. Generally, sweet acidic sauces go well with fatty meats for this reason. Duck with orange sauce, vinegar on fish and chips etc.

It is however part of the reason for our nations obesity and diabetes epidemic. Over fatty, carb loaded salty food, taken too frequently and eaten quickly. The British diet of ready meals, confectionary and takeaways is killing us.

Now, I must go off and soak my lentils, kale and quinoa. Christmas dinner requires a lot of preparation...

Forget this pineapple on pizza triviality as a far more important discussion is how to pronounce quinoa.

I've heard that in London some poeple say 'keen-waa' whereas in Yorkshire it's still said properly 'quin-o-a'.
    Good morning all.

Round here (darkest Somerset) it's pronounced 'What the f*ck is Kinwoa?'.
  • Options

I think I have finally managed to put my wallet away until 27th December. It has taken an absolute pounding. Advice from someone who knows: do not have grown-up children who live at home; love and treasure them from afar - it is much, much cheaper.

Good news, though, is that beer o’clock is only four hours away and I have a stunning bottle of red lined up for dinner tonight (assuming the kids do not down it all first).

Some of us have been in Wetherspoon's since 8!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,961
    edited December 2017
    Off topic, but hell it's Christmas. Was yesterday's match between Sheffield Wednesday and Middlesbrough the first time a game has cost both managers their jobs?

I certainly can't remember that happening before.
  • Options

2.30 ???

That's too late for lunch and too early for dinner.

Are you one of those people who spends all afternoon in Weatherspoons who I've read about ?
  • Options
    I'm not really in Spoon's - I'm at home drinking coffee - Taylor's of Harrogate Christmas blend . Time for another cup...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,961

I'm not really in Spoon's - I'm at home drinking coffee - Taylor's of Harrogate Christmas blend . Time for another cup...

Snap! I've been drinking that too. It's good coffee, but I'm not sure there's anything Christmassy about it beyond the packaging.
  • Options
    Mr. Richard, lunch and dinner are the same thing.

That said, 2.30pm is far too late.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Dunkin Donuts coffee and refreshing NORAD every 5 minutes so my daughter can track Santa
  • Options

If grown up children move away they tend to come back with other halves and children. Which is far more money and time consuming, although of course it’s a while before grandchildren drink your wine.
  • Options

2.30 ???

That's too late for lunch and too early for dinner.

Are you one of those people who spends all afternoon in Weatherspoons who I've read about ?

All lined up in the fridge. Sell by dates long into the future ;-)

• Options

Mr. Fennel, olives were one of the criteria Greek colonists considered seriously when siting their cities. Saw a map a while ago, and the area where olive trees grow included territory where Saguntum, Massilia, Syracuse, Taras and the various cities on the west coast of Asia Minor were all founded.

Fair enough. Olive oil is great, I use it frequently in cooking, but I can't stand olives as a solid ingredient.
  • Options

Dinner is the main meal of the day.

If its the second meal of the day then the third is tea, if its the third meal of the day then the second is lunch.
  • Options

If its the second meal of the day then the third is tea, if its the third meal of the day then the second is lunch.
    I'm mostly a one meal per day person... what should I call it? ;) It's usually early evening or thereabouts. I think it's dinner if I cook and tea if I don't.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Worse than Hitler etc. There's something fundamentally wrong with the 53%. It's not enough to mock them because of the gravity of the crime, it's incumbent on the minority to harangue and harass the deluded majority. Degenerate rebel scum. They need a good war to focus their minds. These are the people that prefer brandy butter to custard, unspeakable monsters.
    Merry Christmas PeeBee peeps.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834

Unless of course you’re playing cricket, when you take lunch, then tea, then dinner when the sun goes down :)

Merry Christmas everyone on PB!
  • Options
    Thank you: I had quite forgotten that before it was called Brutan it was named Albion because Neptune had given this most prized possession to his favourite son.

What do you mean Our Island Story isn't 100% accurate?!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Unless of course you’re playing cricket, when you take lunch, then tea, then dinner when the sun goes down :)

Except in a day night test when you take tea then dinner before the swingers come out after dark
  • Options

Snap! I've been drinking that too. It's good coffee, but I'm not sure there's anything Christmassy about it beyond the packaging.
    Yes, I think we've fallen for a marketing ploy!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Except in a day night test when you take tea then dinner before the swingers come out after dark
    A day night Test is as abominable as pineapple on pizza!
  • Options

I've got IBS, a hiatus hernia and silent acid reflux. I'm on a strict decaff diet. It's hell.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It is now we lost, yes. Were it 2-1 going into Melbourne it would be triumphant, the great equalizer. However it is 3 to zip and all is funk.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited December 2017

I've got IBS, a hiatus hernia and silent acid reflux. I'm on a strict decaff diet. It's hell.
    Eek. Hope that improves.

On the decaf myself for a year now. Keeps the anxiety at bay.

Edit to add: M&S house decaf is my fave. Miles better than almost everything else. Fortnums decaff is good too, for a special occasion.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,972

That said, whilst we've become better at training soldiers, handling the psychological after-effects of war (whether killing other people, watching friends get wounded/killed, suffering wounds, or the constant tension of potential IEDs/suicide bombers) has a long way to go.

The UK has become better at getting them out of the service ASAFP which is all they care about. When it became apparent that I was completely brainfucked after Basra the strategy was all about getting me out. Including offering me a promotion to Cdr on the condition that I would resign my commission the day I received it!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It is now we lost, yes. Were it 2-1 going into Melbourne it would be triumphant, the great equalizer. However it is 3 to zip and all is funk.
    Yeah, we might as well just all get pissed tomorrow and fall asleep.

Speaking of which, dress rehearsal of that to attend to now (3pm in the sandpit). Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Eek. Hope that improves.

Edit to add: M&S house decaf is my fave. Miles better than almost everything else. Fortnums decaff is good too, for a special occasion.
    Had to drink only decaff while being treated for prostate cancer, since the treatment irritated the bladder. Was very glad to get back to the real stuff.

Wish you well, Mr TFS, and all the best for the festive season. Are you working during it?
  • Options
    Betting post.
    Get on England for Melbourne and if they pull it off (which they will) roll the winnings over to England at Sydney. By far our best two grounds in Australia, no Starc and 4 world class players due to fire up. At least 2 of them will. Root to score a huge century, Anderson and Broad to rip the top apart.
    Merry seasons of joy to all
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Sandpit said:

I'm with Morris, lunch and dinner are the same thing. Supper is eaten in the evening, after an early tea, which is optional.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Eek. Hope that improves.

Had to drink only decaff while being treated for prostate cancer, since the treatment irritated the bladder. Was very glad to get back to the real stuff.

Wish you well, Mr TFS, and all the best for the festive season. Are you working during it?
    It's all really manageable, take a pill every morning, and just regulate the 4 most enjoyable foodstuffs- booze, coffee, chocolate and spicy food!

All the best to you as well- and all PBers, of all stripes.
    I am on days tomorrow, but got Boxing Day off, so not so bad really.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,565
    Merry Christmas everyone.

Thanks for the many laughs and the huge waste of my time over the last year (and many past years)
  • Options
    Mr. Richard, an interesting perspective.

Anyway, in Castle Morris Dancer lunch/dinner is the noonish meal, and tea is the evening meal, with small supper before bed.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Eek. Hope that improves.

It's all really manageable, take a pill every morning, and just regulate the 4 most enjoyable foodstuffs- booze, coffee, chocolate and spicy food!

All the best to you as well- and all PBers, of all stripes.
    I am on days tomorrow, but got Boxing Day off, so not so bad really.
    My late maternal grandfather, a farmer whose birthday was Old Christmas Day, would operate the farm himself with his family on Christmas Day, thus giving the workers Christmas Day off completely. The family celebrated 12 days later.
    That was early last century, when farms were a lot more labour-intensive.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas everybody.
  • Options
    JSpringJSpring Posts: 96
    edited December 2017
    Pineapple and cheese on sticks (a very similar thing) are a common party buffet choice, are they not?
  • Options
    Mr. Spring, very contentious issue.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsFtiruIok
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    JSpring said:

Pineapple and cheese on sticks (a very similar thing) are a common party buffet choice, are they not?

Very 70s. And who remembers those little processed cheese and wafer footballs which tasted like the essence of bad breath?
  • Options

If grown up children move away they tend to come back with other halves and children. Which is far more money and time consuming, although of course it’s a while before grandchildren drink your wine.

Presumably they can go to the other in-laws some Chistmases, though? In any case, I fear my lot are not to be married off. I am living a dystopian, 21st century Jane Austen novel.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,871
    I have only missed one family Christmas dinner in my 44 years: in 2002 I was in Southampton on my coastal walk, and getting home to the Midlands for dinner was not possible - instead, we visited some Aussie friends in Salisbury.

Last year my mum said to me on Christmas morning: "At least you've made it this year!"

I'm not sure she'll ever forgive me for missing that one dinner ...
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with pineapple on the right sort of pizza. And Hannibal was a failure. Just sayin'. Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,871

There is nothing wrong with pineapple on the right sort of pizza. And Hannibal was a failure. Just sayin'. Merry Christmas.

What colour passport did Hannibal use? ;)
  • Options
    The definitive final word on this subject.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095

Are you saying they have bigger smiles than the rest of us?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Presumably they can go to the other in-laws some Chistmases, though? In any case, I fear my lot are not to be married off. I am living a dystopian, 21st century Jane Austen novel.

You think that but wait until they reach their late twenties. Loads of my friends (male and female) who were swearing they would never get married and how it was old fashioned etc... are all walking down the aisle. I've got three weddings this to go to in 2018 already. One of which is for a a female friend who swore to me that she was never, ever going to fall for the trap of meeting "Mr Right", get married and live in a house with a garden - she's done the first two and they are looking for the third!
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Expeeience suggests that if there’s mote than one they don’t all go to their in-laws at the same time! In any event one of my children has Buddhist in-laws!
    And we thought two of our children would never get married, then as they approached 40, both of them did.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, you heretic!

Mr. Jessop, Hannibal was famous for disrespecting international borders. He found a way, or made one.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Decaff is like non-alcoholic beer ..... what's the point?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,925
    ydoethur said:

Are you saying they have bigger smiles than the rest of us?
    Of course they are happier by breaking some norms they get 2 sweet courses....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,239
    edited December 2017
    Toms said:

If we're discussing new things we've done recently, yesterday I drove 100 miles. I last drove that far in 1997. I don't mind the driving, it's the other road users that I worry about.

Pineapple goes with many foods, e.g. ham.

I find it strange that some people associate cars with freedom. When driving, other people's mistakes can and do land on one's head, possibly seriously so. The twisted nature of our culture's attitude to cars is that we share anecdotes of near misses or worse, and the deep running "humour" associated with accidents and near misses in the movies etc.

TSE, would you rather be stuck in a lift with Diane Abbott?
    I’d prefer her over Piers Morgan.

I could tell her about why she should be Labour’s next Leader, which is absolutely nothing to do with my tip of 100/1.

Plus like all people who attended Cambridge she’d be engaging company.

They don’t let in just anyone.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,286
    The Wimbledon trophy has a pineapple topping.
    Which is of course why sensible Englishmen have had nothing to do with it for eight decades....
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Andrew said:

Last Christmas my wife had a liver problem and was told no booze. Tried some non-alcoholic wine. She didn’t like it at all, and I found it necessary to add vodka to make it drinkable.
  • Options

Does that make you the ineffectual, but much loved paterfamilias ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

What colour passport did Hannibal use? ;)
    Grey, to match his elephants, surely.
  • Options

Betting post.
    Get on England for Melbourne and if they pull it off (which they will) roll the winnings over to England at Sydney. By far our best two grounds in Australia, no Starc and 4 world class players due to fire up. At least 2 of them will. Root to score a huge century, Anderson and Broad to rip the top apart...

... only by running on it, I suspect.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Monks used to drink small ale - non-alcoholic beer - because it was clean (unlike water) and not so damaging to the liver.

Definitely 7 pints of small ale a day and not as one guide at Fountains Abbey memorably said, seven pints of real ale a day.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, Hannibal was famous for disrespecting international borders. He found a way, or made one.

IIRC, Wren's original design for St Pauls had the dome topped by a pineapple.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andrew said:

Monks used to drink small ale - non-alcoholic beer - because it was clean (unlike water) and not so damaging to the liver.

Definitely 7 pints of small ale a day and not as one guide at Fountains Abbey memorably said, seven pints of real ale a day.
    Seven pints a daty; so Hague was in the grand old Yorkie tradition. However wasn’t small beer 1-2%; just enough to kill the bugs?
  • Options

Another famous pineapple on top:

http://blog.footballrascal.com/legendary-haircut-of-the-week-jason-lee/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Betting post.
    Get on England for Melbourne and if they pull it off (which they will) roll the winnings over to England at Sydney. By far our best two grounds in Australia, no Starc and 4 world class players due to fire up. At least 2 of them will. Root to score a huge century, Anderson and Broad to rip the top apart...

Check out the weather forecast. Unusually, could be the draw is the value. It's also a flat track so if forecast wrong (..ahem) you have a second chance in that even England may be able to last longer than TSE's serving of pizza.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

ydoethur said:

Andrew said:

Seven pints a daty; so Hague was in the grand old Yorkie tradition. However wasn’t small beer 1-2%; just enough to kill the bugs?
    My understanding was that it was the second brew - the first brew was alcoholic and that killed the bugs, then the dregs were brewed again to make the small beer and so that was clean but not alcoholic. I'm no expert on brewing however so it is quite possible you're right.
  • Options

Toms said:

If we're discussing new things we've done recently, yesterday I drove 100 miles. I last drove that far in 1997. I don't mind the driving, it's the other road users that I worry about.

Pineapple goes with many foods, e.g. ham.

I find it strange that some people associate cars with freedom. When driving, other people's mistakes can and do land on one's head, possibly seriously so. The twisted nature of our culture's attitude to cars is that we share anecdotes of near misses or worse, and the deep running "humour" associated with accidents and near misses in the movies etc.

TSE, would you rather be stuck in a lift with Diane Abbott?
    I’d prefer her over Piers Morgan. ..
    I'd prefer pineapple over that.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Nigelb said:

Betting post.

Check out the weather forecast. Unusually, could be the draw is the value. It's also a flat track so if forecast wrong (..ahem) you have a second chance in that even England may be able to last longer than TSE's serving of pizza.
    In the last 14 years England have won three Tests in Australia, drawn 1 and lost 14.

The four Tests that were not defeats all came on the same tour.

That's not the most encouraging of statistics.

Edit - even if we go back 20 years, I make the figures five, three and 21.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Doesn't sound like S&S, MP, or P - maybe P&P?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andrew said:

I think it usually had a small alcohol content, presumably the fermentation that made it safe to drink produced some alcohol.
    Russian kvass is not dissimilar, ironcially still very popular for a country with its relationship to alcohol.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

ydoethur said:

Andrew said:

I think it usually had a small alcohol content, presumably the fermentation that made it safe to drink produced some alcohol.
    Russian kvass is not dissimilar, ironcially still very popular for a country with its relationship to alcohol.
    I'll take your word for it. It would make sense.

In Germany during the late nineteenth century factory owners did used to serve beer - alcoholic beer - at work because the water was so dirty. I hate to think of the effect on working practices in the late afternoons of the workers all being pissed...

Edit - true story. A friend of mine working in an international school was once responsible for disciplining a Russian pupil who had been caught drinking. The Russian in question was very angry because the drink in question was not alcoholic, 'it was only 40%.'
  • Options

No messing about with designs, this bloke went right at it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunmore_Pineapple
  • Options
    New nick name for TMay, the Iron Lady? Not that she is strong, of course, but that she can keep taking the hits?
  • Options
    Off now to son-in-law’s where we will spend The (and Boxing) Day. Good wifi signal there, but with grandchildren and other festivities........

Anyway, A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS to one and all, and thanks to OGH for the site and to everyone who wriotes headers!

Bye.....
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    crandles said:

New nick name for TMay, the Iron Lady? Not that she is strong, of course, but that she can keep taking the hits?

More like the Rust Belt - looked good at first while sealed in until the weather changed and the air got at her?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    My wife has found the best nail artist. She's a manicurist to her fingertips.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146

A doctor writes...

It should not be pronounced. It should be picked up and hurled with great force as far away as possible.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Completely O/T, but if you set aside Trump's disastrous Middle Eastern policy hobbling her, one potential Republican candidate for 2020 who has had a truly excellent year is Nikki Haley. Her performance over North Korea has so far been remarkably sure-footed and to take China along with the latest round of sanctions is a stunning achievement in any context.

As somebody who removed the Confederate flag from South Carolina's capitol before the big movement against such things became fashionable, she might also be attractive to swing voters. Moreover, she has a pedigree as a governor and as a non-white female many Democratic attack lines against the Republicans would become instantly obsolete.

She's at 33/1 for Paddy Power, but if Trump is a one hit wonder the only serious rival to her I can see at a lower price is Ryan at 7/2, and he will probably have fun and games in Congress leading up to the primaries. DYOR but she is starting to look serious value.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Places everyone.

You really should use the original. Google is entirely derivative and this is far more charming.

I hope we do not see Kim Yong Un trying to blast him out of the sky when he gets to the vicinity of North Korea.
  • Options

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Places everyone.

I hope we do not see Kim Yong Un trying to blast him out of the sky when he gets to the vicinity of North Korea.
    Or putting on a false beard and taking his place?

Although come to think of it the vast extra weight of Kim replacing Santa might slow the reindeers down so much that he wouldn't get to the US.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Betting post.
    Get on England for Melbourne and if they pull it off (which they will) roll the winnings over to England at Sydney. By far our best two grounds in Australia, no Starc and 4 world class players due to fire up. At least 2 of them will. Root to score a huge century, Anderson and Broad to rip the top apart.
    Merry seasons of joy to all

I'm spending Christmas drinking what you're on.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Completely O/T, but if you set aside Trump's disastrous Middle Eastern policy hobbling her, one potential Republican candidate for 2020 who has had a truly excellent year is Nikki Haley. Her performance over North Korea has so far been remarkably sure-footed and to take China along with the latest round of sanctions is a stunning achievement in any context.

As somebody who removed the Confederate flag from South Carolina's capitol before the big movement against such things became fashionable, she might also be attractive to swing voters. Moreover, she has a pedigree as a governor and as a non-white female many Democratic attack lines against the Republicans would become instantly obsolete.

She's at 33/1 for Paddy Power, but if Trump is a one hit wonder the only serious rival to her I can see at a lower price is Ryan at 7/2, and he will probably have fun and games in Congress leading up to the primaries. DYOR but she is starting to look serious value.

I think she's a better shot for 2024. I agree about her abilities and CV - indeed, I tipped her as Trump's running mate on that basis. However, I don't see the path to the nomination for 2020 unless Trump doesn't run, which isn't likely. Even then, I don't see how she can run in her current position, so she'd need to leave it, not under a cloud and without the appearance of a revenge-run. I'd want at least double her current odds for 2020.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146
    Really interesting interview with a Spanish historian (?) on the World at One. Worth a listen.
  • Options
    felix said:

Doesn't sound like S&S, MP, or P - maybe P&P?

Yep, I am the Mr Bennett de nos jours. Where is my Bingley, my Darcy?

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,317

Russian friends of my dad's once gave us some home-made kvass. We looked at it dubiously and put it on a hall cupboard to try sometime. One day it exploded. Just fermented its way out of the bottle. We picked up the glass splinters and reflected that this wasn'tstuff we wanted inside us...
  • Options
    "The polling that made me think 53% of the electorate should be denied the vote"

Anyone who thinks this is irrational, yes I AM looking at you TSE, and should be denied a vote for being irrational.

For everybody else Merry Christmas.

Bye. Off to Sunday lunch.
This discussion has been closed.