Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reviewing 2017: The polling that made me think 53% of the elec

13»

Comments

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265

ydoethur said:

Completely O/T, but if you set aside Trump's disastrous Middle Eastern policy hobbling her, one potential Republican candidate for 2020 who has had a truly excellent year is Nikki Haley. Her performance over North Korea has so far been remarkably sure-footed and to take China along with the latest round of sanctions is a stunning achievement in any context.

As somebody who removed the Confederate flag from South Carolina's capitol before the big movement against such things became fashionable, she might also be attractive to swing voters. Moreover, she has a pedigree as a governor and as a non-white female many Democratic attack lines against the Republicans would become instantly obsolete.

She's at 33/1 for Paddy Power, but if Trump is a one hit wonder the only serious rival to her I can see at a lower price is Ryan at 7/2, and he will probably have fun and games in Congress leading up to the primaries. DYOR but she is starting to look serious value.

I think she's a better shot for 2024. I agree about her abilities and CV - indeed, I tipped her as Trump's running mate on that basis. However, I don't see the path to the nomination for 2020 unless Trump doesn't run, which isn't likely. Even then, I don't see how she can run in her current position, so she'd need to leave it, not under a cloud and without the appearance of a revenge-run. I'd want at least double her current odds for 2020.
    I agree with ydoethur on this (and incidentally, ydo, I've actually forgotten what we used to squabble about - apologies for whatever my part was, let's be seasonal and move on?). There may well be a gap in the market for a serious GOP alternative to Trump, given his persistently lousy ratings, and as ydo notes she's one member of the Administraion who is performing well over par, especially to Trumpian audiences (the "taking names" stuff was repellent to European ears, but I bet Trump's fans liked it). 33-1 seems worth a flutter.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    edited December 2017

ydoethur said:

Completely O/T, but if you set aside Trump's disastrous Middle Eastern policy hobbling her, one potential Republican candidate for 2020 who has had a truly excellent year is Nikki Haley. Her performance over North Korea has so far been remarkably sure-footed and to take China along with the latest round of sanctions is a stunning achievement in any context.

As somebody who removed the Confederate flag from South Carolina's capitol before the big movement against such things became fashionable, she might also be attractive to swing voters. Moreover, she has a pedigree as a governor and as a non-white female many Democratic attack lines against the Republicans would become instantly obsolete.

She's at 33/1 for Paddy Power, but if Trump is a one hit wonder the only serious rival to her I can see at a lower price is Ryan at 7/2, and he will probably have fun and games in Congress leading up to the primaries. DYOR but she is starting to look serious value.

I think she's a better shot for 2024. I agree about her abilities and CV - indeed, I tipped her as Trump's running mate on that basis. However, I don't see the path to the nomination for 2020 unless Trump doesn't run, which isn't likely. Even then, I don't see how she can run in her current position, so she'd need to leave it, not under a cloud and without the appearance of a revenge-run. I'd want at least double her current odds for 2020.
    I agree with ydoethur on this (and incidentally, ydo, I've actually forgotten what we used to squabble about - apologies for whatever my part was, let's be seasonal and move on?). There may well be a gap in the market for a serious GOP alternative to Trump, given his persistently lousy ratings, and as ydo notes she's one member of the Administraion who is performing well over par, especially to Trumpian audiences (the "taking names" stuff was repellent to European ears, but I bet Trump's fans liked it). 33-1 seems worth a flutter.
    I would be glad to. It was in fact over Corbyn, but let's not rake that up again. You may have noticed I have been more recently been replying to you again.

The other thoughts that occur to me are (1) that if Haley wants the presidency 2020 is a much better chance for her than 2024 when pendulum swing alone gives a big advantage to the Democrats (2) while Trump may stand again, his age and erratic behaviour don't make that the same sort of certainty as Obama, the Bushes and Clinton (3) her role far from being a hindrance is by accident both high profile and non-partisan in a way the Cabinet or even Congress cannot be. So I think actually I'm going to disagree with David and say 33/1 is value.

Have a great Christmas.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

I think I have finally managed to put my wallet away until 27th December. It has taken an absolute pounding. Advice from someone who knows: do not have grown-up children who live at home; love and treasure them from afar - it is much, much cheaper.

Good news, though, is that beer o’clock is only four hours away and I have a stunning bottle of red lined up for dinner tonight (assuming the kids do not down it all first).

If grown up children move away they tend to come back with other halves and children. Which is far more money and time consuming, although of course it’s a while before grandchildren drink your wine.

Presumably they can go to the other in-laws some Chistmases, though? In any case, I fear my lot are not to be married off. I am living a dystopian, 21st century Jane Austen novel.

I didn't get married till I was 36
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    Sean_F said:

I think I have finally managed to put my wallet away until 27th December. It has taken an absolute pounding. Advice from someone who knows: do not have grown-up children who live at home; love and treasure them from afar - it is much, much cheaper.

Good news, though, is that beer o’clock is only four hours away and I have a stunning bottle of red lined up for dinner tonight (assuming the kids do not down it all first).

If grown up children move away they tend to come back with other halves and children. Which is far more money and time consuming, although of course it’s a while before grandchildren drink your wine.

Presumably they can go to the other in-laws some Chistmases, though? In any case, I fear my lot are not to be married off. I am living a dystopian, 21st century Jane Austen novel.

Does 34 and still single count? :smiley:
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Merry Christmas PB - Hope you all have a lovely time. :D
    GIN1138 said:

Merry Christmas PB - Hope you all have a lovely time. :D

+ lots!
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I see our intrepid Defense Secretary, not content with using House of Cards as a documentary, has turned to International TV for further inspiration

https://twitter.com/hopisen/status/944913167532032002

Meanwhile, Happy Christmas all
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,468
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Does 34 and still single count? :smiley:
    Got married 2 days before my 40th birthday. I was given an ultimatum and my 40th was when the time limit on it was up.
  • Scott_P said:

I see our intrepid Defense Secretary, not content with using House of Cards as a documentary, has turned to International TV for further inspiration

https://twitter.com/hopisen/status/944913167532032002

Meanwhile, Happy Christmas all

Mr P - you have been watching too much American TV.

Defense. :(
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,778

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

'Failed your exams? No chance of a job? Join the Army!'

I like ham and pineapple pizza. In fact I like most pizza toppings. But I only like thin based pizza - none of this deep pan nonsense. It's the equivalent of making a sandwich by cutting a loaf in half.

After left v right, Leave v Remain and theist v atheist it is nice to find something else that PBers can disagree over.

Strangely, it is the lack of opportunity to go into combat that is affecting recruitment. Not being able to kill people for the last couple of years has been a bit of a downer.
    Wartime is when you have no difficulty in getting recruits.
    Renting out the military could be a nice source of income.
    Funnily enough, governments have frequently done that in the past.
    Including European countries up to the 18th century.

It seems a natural thing for an EU army to be used for - I doubt many in Brussels would be concerned about casualties in an army recruited from the Eastern European poor.
    Surely including Switzerland even now.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Mr P - you have been watching too much American TV.

Defense. :(

It's Australian...

And my spellcheck changed it. Honest :wink:
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928
    edited December 2017
    Sean_F said:

42 and still PB's most eligibubble bachelor :)
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094

I think it usually had a small alcohol content, presumably the fermentation that made it safe to drink produced some alcohol.
    Russian kvass is not dissimilar, ironcially still very popular for a country with its relationship to alcohol.

Russian friends of my dad's once gave us some home-made kvass. We looked at it dubiously and put it on a hall cupboard to try sometime. One day it exploded. Just fermented its way out of the bottle. We picked up the glass splinters and reflected that this wasn'tstuff we wanted inside us...
    I don't think it would stay inside you for as long as that?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405

Sean_F said:

42 and still PB's most eligibubble bachelor :)
    Interested in railways and still single - I'm totally shocked!
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

Still some 9.2 for Red Bull on the Constructors' on Betfair. And it's still too long.

Verstappen/Ricciardo are about 7 each. But describe to me the circumstance in which one takes the title whilst the other cannot match the second driver of any other top team. It seems unfeasible.

Red Bull has the best pairing at the sharp end. If the Renault engine's good enough they have a strong chance at the Constructors'. If it isn't, Mercedes will get it.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,237
    I am being nagged by a very grumpy rellie to get in the car to visit other rellies, so comms will be pretty much out for Xmas/Boxing Day. So please have a very happy Xmas, get all the presents you need, have fun, stay safe, and I'll see you midweek.

Merry Xmas, Everyone
    viewcode said:

I am being nagged by a very grumpy rellie to get in the car to visit other rellies, so comms will be pretty much out for Xmas/Boxing Day. So please have a very happy Xmas, get all the presents you need, have fun, stay safe, and I'll see you midweek.

Merry Xmas, Everyone

Happy Crimbo @ viewcode
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Damian Green faces calls to stand down as MP after accusation of 'dirty tricks' against Kate Maltby"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/24/damian-green-faces-calls-stand-mp-accusation-dirty-tricks-against/
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Happy Christmas to all contributors to PB.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Merry Christmas everyone :)
  • I rather like quinoa. I suppose that makes me an effete metropolitan elitist.

I draw the line at polenta though.
  • Mr. Meeks, but how do you pronounce it?
  • ydoethur said:

I agree that Trump might well face a challenge in the primaries and that there's a gap in the market for a sensible Republican. I don't, however, see how it can easily be filled by one of his own administration. Sure, she might resign but it's not like she hasn't known what he's like this last year. Besides, if she does resign then an immediate candidacy will put question marks against the principles behind the resignation
  • Sean_F said:

I was 40. First (and almost certainly only) kid at 42.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    At home for Christmas - more politics chat than I can ever remember.
    Brexit a big one but also plenty of criticism for May and confusion about where Corbyn stands on Brexit and other issues.
  • Mr. rkrkrk, remember, the Morris Dancer Party is the only one with sensible policies of a trebuchet-based justice system, more funding for the genetic engineering of land-walking superfish, and a space cannon.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited December 2017

Mr. Meeks, but how do you pronounce it?

Keen-wa, to rhyme with mwah sound that metropolitans make when air-kissing.

EDIT Poe-len-tah.
  • This year my household arguments are not about Brexit but about my driving. Far more festive.
  • Mr. Meeks, congratulations, your metropolitan elitist pigdog credentials remain intact. :p

Mr. rkrkrk, remember, the Morris Dancer Party is the only one with sensible policies of a trebuchet-based justice system, more funding for the genetic engineering of land-walking superfish, and a space cannon.

I am reasonably confident there are guests present I could convince that the Tories are plotting to trebuchet immigrants into the sea.

This year my household arguments are not about Brexit but about my driving. Far more festive.

Echo chamber rather than arguments here.
    The temptation to play devils advocate is strong after a few glasses of wine but I am resisting.

EDIT Poe-len-tah.
    Bonus points for quinoa if you can tell a story about how much better it tastes in South America.
  • rkrkrk said:

This year my household arguments are not about Brexit but about my driving. Far more festive.

Echo chamber rather than arguments here.
    The temptation to play devils advocate is strong after a few glasses of wine but I am resisting.
    I suspect that some will find it hard to believe but I regularly have to argue the merits of Britain's Brexit approach with extreme Remain supporters.
    rkrkrk said:

EDIT Poe-len-tah.
    Bonus points for quinoa if you can tell a story about how much better it tastes in South America.
    It tastes better with brown sauce. As does most food.
  • I rather like quinoa. I suppose that makes me an effete metropolitan elitist.

I'm from Yorkshire and I like quinoa too, and I'm not an effete metropolitan elitist.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I rather like quinoa. I suppose that makes me an effete metropolitan elitist.

I'm from Yorkshire and I like quinoa too, and I'm not an effete metropolitan elitist.
    Quinoa is a very good grain, being unusual because of containing all amino acids, and therefore a perfect protein. Tasty too...
  • Seems I'm going to be pretty much tied up for the next 48 hours so better say Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks for your company, the fun and occasional enlightenment. It's been a pleasure exchanging views with you all, even the few who do not always wholeheartedly agree with me.

All the best and see you all anon.
  • Thank you all for the great discussions on here this year. Merry Christmas - hope you are all enjoying Christmas Eve, and I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas Day. Best wishes to you and your families.

Polenta is perfectly fine, so long as you have something tasty to eat it with.
    Quinoa is pronounced kin-wah, in the same way that Rocky Bilboa is pronounced Rocky Bilb-wah
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    rcs1000 said:

Quinoa is pronounced kin-wah, in the same way that Rocky Bilboa is pronounced Rocky Bilb-wah

Is he the new Spanish version that will grace Mexican cinemas soon?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Been to see Paddington 2: lovely stuff. May go to a music gig later, if I can stay awake......

Merry Xmas to one and all.

Thanks for the chat this year.

• Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Cyclefree said:

Been to see Paddington 2: lovely stuff. May go to a music gig later, if I can stay awake......

Merry Xmas to you too
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Merry Xmas
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Merry Christmas you lot.

Falafel on pizzas whatever next?
    Cyclefree said:

Don't you think a movie that lionises economic migrants with few skills from developing countries is sending the wrong message?
  • Sean_F said:

I was 40. First (and almost certainly only) kid at 42.
    I just had my second son. My father fought in the disastrous Norwegian campaign in april-may 1940
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547
    Christmas quiz question. Name an authentic Canadian dish (the only one?), invented in 1962, that pretends to be from somewhere else.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Don't you think a movie that lionises economic migrants with few skills from developing countries is sending the wrong message?
    No. It's a film, for God's sake! It's fun. Hugh Grant is superb.

I managed to imitate Paddington's backhandedness (I watched it at the Everyman Hampstead) by spilling popcorn down my front and boiling water on my leg. Still, despite the 1st degree burn I laughed myself silly.
  • FF43 said:

Christmas quiz question. Name an authentic Canadian dish (the only one?), invented in 1962, that pretends to be from somewhere else.

There aren't terribly many to pick. Is it poutine ?
    edited December 2017
    FF43 said:

It must be pineapple pizza. ;)
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    Cyclefree said:

Great film. It is a test of whether being quintessentially nice can overcome all of life’s challenges. It is a classic English film.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    FF43 said:

Is there a fecking great clue in the threader?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    A Jolly Christmas to everyone and an uneventful New year.
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

You have won - have a pineapple pizza ... More precisely Pizza Hawaii, invented by a Greek in Canada and the source of a diplomatic spat between the President of Iceland and the PM of Canada when the former indicated, somewhat undemocratically that he wanted to ban pineapple pizza from the shores of his island.
    Have a great Christmas everyone.
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

You have won - have a pineapple pizza ... More precisely Pizza Hawaii, invented by a Greek in Canada and the source of a diplomatic spat between the President of Iceland and the PM of Canada when the former indicated, somewhat undemocratically that he wanted to ban pineapple pizza from the shores of his island.
    Yay. I’ve always wanted a pineapple pizza :D
    Best wishes everyone. Especially those having pineapple with their turkey.

Best wishes everyone. Especially those having pineapple with their turkey.

How else are you supposed to stuff it?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Merry Christmas from the sandpit, where thanks to time zones it’s now actually Christmas!
    Have a great day PB, maybe I’ll take a look at StJohn’s crossword later.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2017
    Merry Christmas folks. Best wishes for a happy and profitable New Year!

For your collective information, this is my penultimate Christmas greeting. It has been foretold that I will die in 2019, fighting over Somerset's last turnip in the post-Brexit apocalypse. I shall make hay etc
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Pineapple on pizza is nice, end of.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,589

I quite agree; quinoa is excellent. Making a point of declaring your contempt for it is a little like pretending to be working class...
    ;-)

A very Happy Christmas to all.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    John_M said:

Merry Christmas folks. Best wishes for a happy and profitable New Year!

For your collective information, this is my penultimate Christmas greeting. It has been foretold that I will die in 2019, fighting over Somerset's last turnip in the post-Brexit apocalypse. I shall make hay etc

That turnip is mine, John - Wiltshire is predicted to run out of all such goods by the end of 2018, we shall need to disperse into the surroundings.
  • RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    Unfortunately the rental pineapple didn't arrive in time for Christmas. I have no idea how I'm going to keep face with the neighbours.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Merry Christmas one and all - hope that you have a cracking time tomorrow!

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,962
    Rhubarb said:

Unfortunately the rental pineapple didn't arrive in time for Christmas. I have no idea how I'm going to keep face with the neighbours.

Bloody Amazon deliveries.

SeanT said:

Last year I actually went to the HOME of quinoa: the shores of Lake Titicaca in Bolivia. In a vegetable soup with a spicy salsa it makes a surprisingly delicious supper. Eat with high-altitude Bolivian red wine (also surprisingly good)
    As below - double metropolitan elite points for You.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Merry Christmas to one and all. Just relaxing after cooking a select meal of lemon sole meuniere with new potatoes and asparagus followed by apple, cranberry and orange tart, washed down with a bottle of Cloudy Bay.
  • The Last Jedi is the best Christmas movie EVER!!!

(saw it for the second time today - Leicester Square)
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Drive by post:

Merry Christmas to one and all.

If you don't celebrate Christmas, then I hope you're enjoying the break nevertheless.

PS The Last Jedi can suck the warm sweat off my humid bollocks. Mwah, darling. ;)
    Anorak said:

Drive by post:

Merry Christmas to one and all.

If you don't celebrate Christmas, then I hope you're enjoying the break nevertheless.

PS The Last Jedi can suck the warm sweat off my humid bollocks. Mwah, darling. ;)

It wasn't that good.....

Wasn't terrible, though.

• A very Merry Christmas to everyone on pb. And thanks as ever to OGH/TSE/rcs for keeping it running. Chez Price, we will of course be having our turkey with a pineapple stuffing.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2017
    Can I just say...and it is perhaps the most controversial thing I have posted on PB....I thought the Star Wars movie was utter utter tripe.

I loved Rogue One, and flew back into the UK this morning especially to catch it prior to Christmas. I would rather have watched 2hrs of Jeremy Corbyn speeches and everybody knows how much I love those!
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    slade said:

Merry Christmas to one and all. Just relaxing after cooking a select meal of lemon sole meuniere with new potatoes and asparagus followed by apple, cranberry and orange tart, washed down with a bottle of Cloudy Bay.

Very similar here. Except it is cold smoked mackerel with pickled onions washed down with a Guinness and Pernod spritzer.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Can I just say...and it is perhaps the most controversial thing I have posted on PB....I thought the Star Wars movie was utter utter tripe.

I loved Rogue One, and flew back into the UK this morning especially to catch it prior to Christmas. I would rather have watched 2hrs of Jeremy Corbyn speeches and everybody knows how much I love those!

everything post return of the jedi was about making money rather than stopping when enough was enough..
    And thank God for president Trump, without whom (apparently) we might not have had Christmas at all....
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/12/trump-praises-himself-in-call-to-troops-we-say-christmas-again-very-proudly.html
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

I felt exactly as you. We’re not alone in the universe :wink:
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2017
    RoyalBlue said:

I felt exactly as you. We’re not alone in the universe :wink:
    I fear we might get the ban hammer for spouting such thought crimes out loud, while eating Hawaiian pizza in front of a proper Christmas movie like Die Hard and having imposed a Radiohead ban throughout the household.
  • Die Hard evidently is about Christmas - estranged father coming to see his wife and children with surprise arranged by wife's boss.... then the touching family reunion has to overcome one or two hurdles. Play out to Christmas song at end as Xmas is safely 'sorted'.

Incidentally there's more snow in Die Hard 2, so is that a Xmas movie too if we're going by flake-count?
    Nice avatar, scrapheap ;)
  • RobD said:

I thank you.....
    RobD said:

Provocative, I'd say. You cannot argue with the great British public. Regrettably, that means I have to accept pineapple on pizza too.

Now that is testing the spirit of the season to its limits. I have it down as the second best Star Wars movie (and I say that as someone who doesn't hate any of them).
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Provocative, I'd say. You cannot argue with the great British public. Regrettably, that means I have to accept pineapple on pizza too.
    Tempted to change mine to a pineapple pizza. :p
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

In the spirit of reconciliation between these two tribes.
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

In the spirit of reconciliation between these two tribes.
    Now I’m hungry. :o
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,842
    edited December 2017
    Add my good wishes to all on PB. Been infuriated, educated, intrigued, puzzled, informed, insulted, joshed and challenged. Rarely bored, even by Brexit!
    Thanks to all. Have a happy Christmas and a fulfilling and profitable New Year!
    Whether Remainer or Leaver, Tory or Labour, let us come together at this special time and beat the bookie in 2018.
    EDIT: LD, UKIP and Greens included.
    dixiedean said:

Add my good wishes to all on PB. Been infuriated, educated, intrigued, puzzled, informed, insulted, joshed and challenged. Rarely bored, even by Brexit!
    Whether Remainer or Leaver, Tory or Labour, let us come together at this special time and beat the bookie in 2018.

Poor Lib Dems , they can’t catch a break. :p
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725

We don't necessarily agree often.

You are spot on with this post.
    dixiedean said:

EDIT: LD, UKIP and Greens included.

So England centric- the SNP and PC exist too :)
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Merry Christmas one and all :smile:
    RoyalBlue said:

Merry Christmas one and all :smile:

+++++
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Who's up for a bad tempered argument about obscure aspects of Brexit negotiations?

Nobody? thank God for that! Happy Christmas.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

Who's up for a bad tempered argument about obscure aspects of Brexit negotiations?

Nobody? thank God for that! Happy Christmas.

+1

Merry Christmas folks!
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Merry Christmas to all PBer = posters and lurkers.
This discussion has been closed.