Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the year of Trump’s impeachment

13»

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Foxy said:

Well, all these rumours are doing a fair job at distracting us from Toby Young. But the Heath->BIS move in the middle of an NHS winter crisis is odd. Is it meant as a demotion to punish him for "allowing" the crisis, or an escape route to protect him, or even a promotion if it's beefed up? Labour's line should probably be "OK, we've had the apology and the sacking. Now will someone actually do something to help the service?"

Health to Bis is at best a sideways move. Possibly a move against an overly ambitious upstart, but as I am not in this cabinet kremlinology market, not one I would lose sleep over. To me it looks like Theresa doesn't like being outshone...
    The presence of such luminaries as Grayling and Fox in the cabinet is perhaps strong evidence for that thesis ?

• Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The Times say Jeremy Hunt is likely to be the new beefed up Business Secretary.

'Likely' is a wonderful word whether you're indulging in guesswork or actually have inside information. You can always argue that something changed.

My guess would be that either The Times is guessing or someone outside No 10 is lobbying for that move for Hunt - but once again, it shows the daftness of announcing the reshuffle in advance.

Yes, Green went before Christmas but First Sec of State and Minister for the Cabinet Office are not essential jobs. There was no necessity to replace him at all.

'Likely' is a wonderful word whether you're indulging in guesswork or actually have inside information. You can always argue that something changed.

My guess would be that either The Times is guessing or someone outside No 10 is lobbying for that move for Hunt - but once again, it shows the daftness of announcing the reshuffle in advance.

Yes, Green went before Christmas but First Sec of State and Minister for the Cabinet Office are not essential jobs. There was no necessity to replace him at all.
    I think they are usually announced in advance, aren't they? And I can see the sense in it for a PM as weak as May; it gives 48 hours in which the big beasts can privately tell May where their red lines are, rather than her crossing them in an unannounced reshuffle and having, say, Johnson flouncing to the back benches if she moves him from the FO.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    edited January 2018
    Lyon gets Moeen, yet again.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

I think they are usually announced in advance, aren't they? And I can see the sense in it for a PM as weak as May; it gives 48 hours in which the big beasts can privately tell May where their red lines are, rather than her crossing them in an unannounced reshuffle and having, say, Johnson flouncing to the back benches if she moves him from the FO.

They're not usually announced in advance, though sometimes journalists and / or ministers get a sniff or it in the air.

A PM should work out for him-/herself what the likely red lines are for cabinet ministers. If someone is unsackable or unmovable, don't try to do it. Opening negotiations can only weaken the PM's position.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    That 6/1 is a superb price. Tissue price again with an excellent tip.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Something for the new business secretary's inbox:
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    14% return currently available on Betfair Exchange if you think Australia are going to win the Sydney test match.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.138460857
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    AndyJS said:

14% return currently available on Betfair Exchange if you think Australia are going to win the Sydney test match.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.138460857

Only the imodium man stands in their way :)
This discussion has been closed.