Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Scotland has its own Secretary of State then so should Lond

13»

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    AndyJS said:

O/T Does anyone know when the long-awaited direct train service from London to Amsterdam is going to open?

According to Real Time Trains, the first departure is scheduled for 16:01 on Saturday 31 March:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L10386/2018/03/31/advanced
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T Does anyone know when the long-awaited direct train service from London to Amsterdam is going to open?

According to Real Time Trains, the first departure is scheduled for 16:01 on Saturday 31 March:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L10386/2018/03/31/advanced
    Thanks. I checked the ManInSeat61 website but there wasn't anything about it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    Sturgeon to announce by end of 2018 whether a Scottish generation is four years, or longer:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-42674567
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    AndyJS said:

The Man in Seat 61 says: "Two daily direct Eurostars are planned to start in Spring 2018, probably March or April 2018."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited January 2018
    London is a city not 1 of the 4 countries and provinces of the UK like Scotland, Wales and NI. If there was going to be a new Secretary of State, I would have thought a Secretary of State for England more important than a Secretary of State for London? London at least has its own Mayor and Assembly anyway, England has no Parliament or Minister at all. Plus, if London gets its own Secretary of State, why not Birmingham or Manchester too?

Appealing to London is also largely a lost cause for the Tories now outside of Mayoral and Assembly elections, the Tories did not even win London in 2015 when they won a majority let alone 2017 when they did not. Until 1997 London was a key swing region at general elections, now it is safe Labour, the key swing regions now are the Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber.
  • Options

Have the tweets of Henry Bolton's racist bidie-in been done yet?
    I keep thinking that UKIP's degradation with each successive leader has to stop at some point, but no.

Covered last night.

I thought about doing a thread on it but thought a Kippers being racist thread was up there with dog bites man.

Plus as TLG86 pointed out last night she’s incredibly thick/uneducated if she thinks the progeny of Harry and Meghan are going to end up on the throne.
    Wasn’t she making a slippery slope argument? Like if we tolerate this then George might end up with an arranged marriage or something.
    George wouldn't stand for that. Look how it ended the last time the Royals tried it.
  • Options
    Congrats AM, you have managed to find an issue even more provocative than Brexit.

Can we hope for the London Independence Party to make an appearnace in the May local elections ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

I thought about doing a thread on it but thought a Kippers being racist thread was up there with dog bites man.

Whereas pig-shit thick Little Englanders don't deserve London isn't?
  • Options

That’s not what this thread is about.

I forgot some of you Leavers are such snowflakes that you get easily triggered.
  • Options

Congrats AM, you have managed to find an issue even more provocative than Brexit.

Can we hope for the London Independence Party to make an appearnace in the May local elections ?

Theme tune: LIP up fatty?

For the reggae....
  • Options

That’s not what this thread is about.

I forgot some of you Leavers are such snowflakes that you get easily triggered.
    Of course it's not what it's about....no.....

(We are the ones still having a laugh about that result in June 2016. Your lot? Not so much....)
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    With London profoundly alienated from the present government in the wake of the Brexit vote, that looks a dangerous line to take in the long term. There’s only so long that Londoners will put up with being taken for mugs.

Perhaps we could build a wall - and make the provinces pay for it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I thought it a very modest proposal.

So far Sadiq Khan is successfully running ahead of the whip. He has judged London's mood well.
  • Options

A July 2016 Evening Standard poll had just 11% of Londoners wanting independence, only 4% more than the 7% who wanted to scrap the London Assembly. The most popular option with 32% was the status quo and to keep the London Assembly

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_independence
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    HYUFD said:

London is a city not 1 of the 4 countries and provinces of the UK like Scotland, Wales and NI. If there was going to be a new Secretary of State, I would have thought a Secretary of State for England more important than a Secretary of State for London? London at least has its own Mayor and Assembly anyway, England has no Parliament or Minister at all. Plus, if London gets its own Secretary of State, why not Birmingham or Manchester too?

Appealing to London is also largely a lost cause for the Tories now outside of Mayoral and Assembly elections, the Tories did not even win London in 2015 when they won a majority let alone 2017 when they did not. Until 1997 London was a key swing region at general elections, now it is safe Labour, the key swing regions now are the Midlands and Yorkshire and Humber.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland do not have Secretaries of State because they are component parts of the UK: they were awarded them separately, relatively recently and for different reasons. You're retrofitting a rationale. London has a much better claim than any of them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pure anecdote - I was once told quite seriously by a Londoner that every graduate lives in London for a time. When I pointed out that I do not live in London, never have and almost certainly never will, he refused to believe me. He then told me I was a fool because I'd be on three times the money in London. When I pointed out that on my salary I have a three-bedroom house with garage and garden and in London I wouldn't even be able to afford a flat, he then started telling me that it was because of his subsidies that I could afford it and ranting about house prices in London. It never occurred to him to wonder if perhaps his choice to stay in London was the problem, rather than my salary.

According to the ONS media income in 2014/15 was £21,600 in Staffordshire and £26,400 in London.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/income-and-tax-by-borough-and-district-or-unitary-authority-2010-to-2011#history
    ydoethur said:

I still cherish the memory of the poster from Surrey who thought three-bed ex council houses in Bury were worth £450,000 and was really shocked to see how wrong he was when I persuaded him to look on Zoopla.

LOL

House prices are almost a different language between North and South which need translating - "He's got a really posh house worth nearly £500k, that would be over a million down here".
  • Options
    Trump would be a brilliant PBer.
  • Options

I thought it a very modest proposal.

So far Sadiq Khan is successfully running ahead of the whip. He has judged London's mood well.
    He has exceeded expectations.
  • Options

Spurs and england win....

Well.

Unprecedented 'Positive' correlation but not in a negative sense for a change..

PS spurs should join the sanchez bidding just for fun...

He’s joining Liverpool.

Though I’d laugh if he joined Spurs.

Those ‘Arse Sol’ shirts were amusing.
    Id love it love it love it.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Ishmael_Z said:

Have the tweets of Henry Bolton's racist bidie-in been done yet?
    I keep thinking that UKIP's degradation with each successive leader has to stop at some point, but no.

I've been wondering from the get-go whether there isn't some sort of honeytrap/sting operation going on, in that Bolton hasn't the looks, charm or money that generally attract 25 y.o. models, and surely the "cachet" of leading UKIP isn't enough to bridge the gap? Then again, if she thinks harry n meg are going to put a little octoroon on the throne, she possibly also thinks Bolton is next PM, nailed on.
    She thinks negros are ugly...

https://twitter.com/Hey_Flike/status/952316544842944513
    Simply LOLz
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Spurs and england win....

Well.

Unprecedented 'Positive' correlation but not in a negative sense for a change..

PS spurs should join the sanchez bidding just for fun...

He’s joining Liverpool.

Though I’d laugh if he joined Spurs.

Those ‘Arse Sol’ shirts were amusing.
    Id love it love it love it.
    Until you realise he's not that good.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

With London profoundly alienated from the present government in the wake of the Brexit vote, that looks a dangerous line to take in the long term. There’s only so long that Londoners will put up with being taken for mugs.

If only, the provinces have no money. They depend on handouts from London...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Tories still have 21 seats - quite sizeable.

Agree that the direction of travel is strongly Labour though. Next GE moment will be "were you still up for Uxbridge" - can't wait....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
  • Options
    murali_s said:

kyf_100 said:

In that case would you please have a word with HMRC so that I don't have to pay thousands and my employer millions in tax every year.
  • Options

murali_s said:

kyf_100 said:

In that case would you please have a word with HMRC so that I don't have to pay thousands and my employer millions in tax every year.
    Touchy much?? The general gist of my statement is of course true.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,317
    I don't really see the point of this proposal. But I did think Charles' suggeston of the Mayor of London attending Cabinet was an interesting and elegant seeming answer.

The response from our friends in the Scottish independence movement has been a bit muted. I seem to remember during the Indyref being regularly schooled by them that far from subsidising the rest of the country, London was in fact swallowing far too high a proportion of Government spending. A case of Remainerism making strange bedfellows?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland do not have Secretaries of State because they are component parts of the UK: they were awarded them separately, relatively recently and for different reasons. You're retrofitting a rationale. London has a much better claim than any of them.
    Given England has neither a Parliament or Assembly I would say it has a better claim to its own Secretary of State than all of them
  • Options
    The values, aspirations, culture and outlook of London and other cosmopolitan sophisticated cities in the UK and other parts of the UK are very different. Brexit just exemplified this huge difference.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    murali_s said:

HYUFD said:

Agree that the direction of travel is strongly Labour though. Next GE moment will be "were you still up for Uxbridge" - can't wait....
    21 seats out of 73 in London ie less than a third.

Short of a Labour landslide though the Tories should still win Uxbridge, Labour did not even win it in 1997
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

kyf_100 said:

Touchy much?? The general gist of my statement is of course true.
    Not touchy at all, merely trying to be amusing.

Of course you could extend your argument to 'London has no money, it depends on handouts from financial services'.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,934

I don't really see the point of this proposal. But I did think Charles' suggeston of the Mayor of London attending Cabinet was an interesting and elegant seeming answer.

The response from our friends in the Scottish independence movement has been a bit muted. I seem to remember during the Indyref being regularly schooled by them that far from subsidising the rest of the country, London was in fact swallowing far too high a proportion of Government spending. A case of Remainerism making strange bedfellows?

Well a lot more money is spent on subsidising transport around London than in the rest of the country...
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

HYUFD said:

Short of a Labour landslide though the Tories should still win Uxbridge, Labour did not even win it in 1997
    Labour didn't win Kensington or Canterbury in 1997 either.
  • Options
    I really think Boris must know where some bodies are buried, or has some very powerful friends - he should have been chopped in the reshuffle and 100 times before. I can't see anyone being particularly upset. And I can't see him being any kind of threat from the backbenches - he's not wholehearted enough Brexiteer to attack May from that angle, and he can't very well join the Remoaners. It is unfathomable. She could even be nice and throw him a bone like DCMS if she really wanted, but personally I think the country would applaud her if she gave him the Osborne taxi treatment.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Dupe
  • Options
    edited January 2018

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

HYUFD said:

Labour didn't win Kensington or Canterbury in 1997 either.
    Labour won Regent's Park and Kensington North in 1997 which covered most of the current Kensington seat. Canterbury was down to the student vote
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

I really think Boris must know where some bodies are buried, or has some very powerful friends - he should have been chopped in the reshuffle and 100 times before. I can't see anyone being particularly upset. And I can't see him being any kind of threat from the backbenches - he's not wholehearted enough Brexiteer to attack May from that angle, and he can't very well join the Remoaners. It is unfathomable. She could even be nice and throw him a bone like DCMS if she really wanted, but personally I think the country would applaud her if she gave him the Osborne taxi treatment.

Boris is still the most electable and charismatic current Tory MP as his record proves and perhaps the only Tory at the moment who can win a majority against Corbyn
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

If Boris is sacked then he can trigger a leadership challenge that Theresa May will lose. That is why the Prime Minister cannot move against Boris or any of the other big beasts. We, and they, cannot be sure who will win, which is why there is no leadership challenge yet -- but it is a racing certainty Theresa May will be forced out. Boris survives on that basis.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sturgeon to announce by end of 2018 whether a Scottish generation is four years, or longer:

How many stories are going to be written about no change in Sturgeon's position. This is like the 100th where she's reiterated her position.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    murali_s said:

The values, aspirations, culture and outlook of London and other cosmopolitan sophisticated cities in the UK and other parts of the UK are very different. Brexit just exemplified this huge difference.

I dunno, people set up these differences in their minds, but having lived in Brighton, London, Nottingham and now Surrey. I'm not convinced the cultures are as different as one thinks - or rather the obvious differences are outweighed by underlying similarities.
  • Options

murali_s said:

I dunno, people set up these differences in their minds, but having lived in Brighton, London, Nottingham and now Surrey. I'm not convinced the cultures are as different as one thinks - or rather the obvious differences are outweighed by underlying similarities.
    The differences are more between urban and rural.
  • Options

If Boris is sacked then he can trigger a leadership challenge that Theresa May will lose. That is why the Prime Minister cannot move against Boris or any of the other big beasts. We, and they, cannot be sure who will win, which is why there is no leadership challenge yet -- but it is a racing certainty Theresa May will be forced out. Boris survives on that basis.
    There would be a no confidence vote certainly
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Alistair said:

How many stories are going to be written about no change in Sturgeon's position. This is like the 100th where she's reiterated her position.
    Given June's result im Scotland May and Parliament would block any new indyref2 demand anyway
  • Options

Don't be silly. Boris was the face of Brexit in the referendum, he would be a very powerful enemy. Lyndon Johnson's tent maxim works very well.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Given June's result im Scotland May and Parliament would block any new indyref2 demand anyway
    If they do you may see a bit of a sea change in the Scottish political media - Unionist of impeccable credentials like David Clegg and Kenny Farquarson have made it clear that Sturgeon has the moral right via vote in Holyrood to bring forward IndyRef2 and blocking it at Westminster (where the SNP hold a majority of Scottish MPs) would affront to democracy.

They are happy to write SNP-bad articles as their bread and butter but they are still democrats at their core.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

murali_s said:

True, but also true of us and our Continental cousins :)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

If they do you may see a bit of a sea change in the Scottish political media - Unionist of impeccable credentials like David Clegg and Kenny Farquarson have made it clear that Sturgeon has the moral right via vote in Holyrood to bring forward IndyRef2 and blocking it at Westminster (where the SNP hold a majority of Scottish MPs) would affront to democracy.

They are happy to write SNP-bad articles as their bread and butter but they are still democrats at their core.
    So what, given Spain's actions in Catalonia May will easily get away with quietly refusing an indyref2. Plus on current polls there will be a unionist majority at the next Holyrood elections anyway
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Foxy said:

murali_s said:

True, but also true of us and our Continental cousins :)
    Yes. In my last job I went to 25 countries in 3 years - it really struck me how alike people in the same sort of jobs were in different countries.
This discussion has been closed.