Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Seat projection from today’s ICM poll has CON ahead on MPs eve

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Anazina said:

I am really looking forward to my holibobs with Jezza in charge if Justin is to be believed. £500 max spend per two weeks while I am there, going to really be able to splash out, not.

Not many of the yuff will be going large in Magaful etc.

That would last me about four days on holiday. We struggle to get through a day on less than £120/day, amazing as that might seem.
    I was suggesting £500 per person - so a family of four would have £2000 to play with. Is that so unreasonable?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I see that the Lib Dems would lose nearly 10% of their fairly derisory vote and yet pick up 2 more seats.

Right.

As it happens I think they'd pick up more than two on such figures. Electoral Calculus's model assumes no tactical voting in Scotland. That seems unlikely.

But I also am sceptical about prediction models at present. There seems to be a sorting of voters taking place which doesn't seem to be happening on uniform national lines.
    Remind me of how accurate your LibDem predictions were last year?

I did pretty well. I sold and sold and sold when the markets were predicting them to be getting 35 or more seats. I ended up slightly over-pessimistic for them in the end, but the Lib Dems' failure to ignite was my big money earner at the general election.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    FF43 said:

John_M said:

Whenever an article mentions the 'Empire', I roll my eyes. I'm relatively old - born in 1960, and the Empire was ancient history to my generation. I vaguely remember various flag-lowering ceremonies on the TV, and that's about it. The British Empire is about as relevant to me as phlogiston.

"The Empire strikes back" people are over-represented in the Conservative government. Most Leave voters, I am pretty sure, are what are pejoratively and rather unfairly referred to as "Little Englanders". They don't like the EU much and wish it go away so they can get with their lives, without being told what to do all the time. They have very little interest in what goes on beyond their shores and even less understanding of how trade and international relations work. They are doomed to disappointment, I am afraid.

"They have very little interest in what goes on beyond their shores and even less understanding of how trade and international relations work."

That is pretty much the definition of a Little Englander, surely?
  • Options
    Gap years are going fun if Justin gets his way.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Anazina said:

FF43 said:

John_M said:

Whenever an article mentions the 'Empire', I roll my eyes. I'm relatively old - born in 1960, and the Empire was ancient history to my generation. I vaguely remember various flag-lowering ceremonies on the TV, and that's about it. The British Empire is about as relevant to me as phlogiston.

"The Empire strikes back" people are over-represented in the Conservative government. Most Leave voters, I am pretty sure, are what are pejoratively and rather unfairly referred to as "Little Englanders". They don't like the EU much and wish it go away so they can get with their lives, without being told what to do all the time. They have very little interest in what goes on beyond their shores and even less understanding of how trade and international relations work. They are doomed to disappointment, I am afraid.

"They have very little interest in what goes on beyond their shores and even less understanding of how trade and international relations work."

That is pretty much the definition of a Little Englander, surely?
    I don't think it is an unreasonable point of view, merely an unrealistic one. Sneers are unnecessary.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I see that the Lib Dems would lose nearly 10% of their fairly derisory vote and yet pick up 2 more seats.

Right.

As it happens I think they'd pick up more than two on such figures. Electoral Calculus's model assumes no tactical voting in Scotland. That seems unlikely.

But I also am sceptical about prediction models at present. There seems to be a sorting of voters taking place which doesn't seem to be happening on uniform national lines.

As it happens, I think you are probably right - with the caveat that there is only realistic LibDem gain in Scotland, Fife NE.

And the reason I think you are right is that the LibDem votes are getting more and more concentrated in leafy Remainia. (By which I mean SW London, some parts of Scotland, and a few other seats.) Were an election to be held now, I think they'd probably grab a couple of seats. (But no more than a couple.)

The two interesting things (to me) about the LibDems are:

1. Will Brexit still be a live issue in 2022? I suspect it will be, in that there will be parts of the country where there are concentrated Brexit losses and therefore residual "cross-ness". And it so happens, that a lot of those seats are LibDem/Conservative fights

2. How will the LibDems do in London in the locals this year? I suspect, based on last year's GE, that they will do well in Kingston and Richmond. But are there going to be other areas of recovery? Right now, I don't see it. But it's something to watch out for.
    If anything, they'll probably lose ground in Haringey and Southwark, the only two boroughs outside the South West where they have significant representation. Places like Islington, Lambeth, and Brent, where they were once strong, now look monolithically Labour.

• Options
    Anazina said:

Mr. Glenn, show me the English Parliament.

Mr. Mark, silence, heretic! Global warming has always been the Truth.

The fact that it is snowing somewhere up north does not prove global warming theory to be false; just as the fact that it is bright and springlike in London this afternoon does not prove it to be true.

Climate and weather are not the same thing.
    I wish you would tell that to all the Global Warming fanatics who jump on every warm day as proof that AGW is real.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    justin124 said:

Anazina said:

I am really looking forward to my holibobs with Jezza in charge if Justin is to be believed. £500 max spend per two weeks while I am there, going to really be able to splash out, not.

That would last me about four days on holiday. We struggle to get through a day on less than £120/day, amazing as that might seem.
    I was suggesting £500 per person - so a family of four would have £2000 to play with. Is that so unreasonable?
    Yes it bloody well is. It's grade A nuts.

£500 per year? Per trip? Per what? What about foreigners who work here (the 3 odd million), same rules? Well that really will get net migration straight down into the negatives won't it? Who wants to earn in a pretty non convertible currency? Mind the stampede. Christ the Guardian's having apoplexy about manning the NHS "because of Brexit", that will be peanuts in comparison. if they are all to be paid in monopoly money.

What about those who already have a foreign bank account or a foreign source of income (say they rent a flat in Mallorca?). How are you going to deal with them?

All credit cards going to become like most Chinese ones only issued in non convertible currency? Bang goes internet shopping abroad.

Companies: If I want to pay for a steel import from Austria am I going to have to go to the exchange commissar to get approval?

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    THIS IS MY COMPLETE AND UTTER LACK OF SURPRISE
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/01/16/coca-cola-reducing-size-bottles-putting-prices/

I bet the non-sugar variants end up at the same price as the full sugar, this in affect non-sugar drinkers are subsidising full sugar drinkers.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

"Projections on the proposed new boundaries have the system biased even more to the blue team."

Gerrymandering UK style!

Ah, yet another one who doesn't understand how the boundary reviews work.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    rcs1000 said:

Will Brexit still be a live issue in 2022? I suspect it will be, in that there will be parts of the country where there are concentrated Brexit losses and therefore residual "cross-ness". And it so happens, that a lot of those seats are LibDem/Conservative fights

What do you think the Conservatives' EU policy will be in 2022? Using Boris as a guide, it will likely be in favour of membership, having had a hard Brexit ruled out by reality, and a soft Brexit ruled out by politics.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

£500 per year? Per trip? Per what? What about foreigners who work here (the 3 odd million), same rules? Well that really will get net migration straight down into the negatives won't it? Who wants to earn in a pretty non convertible currency? Mind the stampede. Christ the Guardian's having apoplexy about manning the NHS "because of Brexit", that will be peanuts in comparison. if they are all to be paid in monopoly money.

What about those who already have a foreign bank account or a foreign source of income (say they rent a flat in Mallorca?). How are you going to deal with them?

All credit cards going to become like most Chinese ones only issued in non convertible currency? Bang goes internet shopping abroad.

Companies: If I want to pay for a steel import from Austria am I going to have to go to the exchange commissar to get approval?

Grade A nuts doesn't remotely cover it.

"Labour to stop your foreign holidays" is about as toxic as the tabloids need to go to kill Labour at the next election.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2018
    welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

Going to need a whole new massive government agency....will I need i lneed special permission to take more than that so I can do normal stuff like pay for a clients meal when I am out of the country?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

rcs1000 said:

Will Brexit still be a live issue in 2022? I suspect it will be, in that there will be parts of the country where there are concentrated Brexit losses and therefore residual "cross-ness". And it so happens, that a lot of those seats are LibDem/Conservative fights

What do you think the Conservatives' EU policy will be in 2022? Using Boris as a guide, it will likely be in favour of membership, having had a hard Brexit ruled out by reality, and a soft Brexit ruled out by politics.
    Hm, I can't see that happening...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    FF43 said:

John_M said:

Indeed - classic demonisation tactics by Europhiles - don't like being governed by unelected beaurocrats ? You must be racist who yearns for the days of the Empire...
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    And so it starts
  • Options
    O/T - One for the PB pop fans.

How do I pronounce the surname of Robin Thicke?

Is it ‘Thick’ or ‘Thickee’?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    justin124 said:

Anazina said:

If you’re debating the level of currency controls then you’re massively losing the argument.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Well Boris is saying he'd rather stay in the EU that have a soft Brexit while doubling-down on fantasy rhetoric about a hard Brexit. It's only a matter of time I'd say.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    And so it starts
    Last one out, please remember to turn the lights off.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

Going to need a whole new massive government agency....
    No opportunities for corruption there are there?

I remember being in East Berlin prior to the Wall coming down in the mid 80's, and the Bulgarian head waiter of the restaurant we were in (the plushest place we could find to try and spend the monopoly £8.50's worth of East German Marks we'd had to exchange at some insane govt rate), sidling up to me full of desperation to exchange more of the worthless bits of paper for real money that could actually be exchanged and buy you real things, or the "tourist" shops in Cuba about 20 years ago full of fancy stuff the locals could only stare at in wonder because they didn't have dollars or "convertible Pesos".

Christ!
  • Options
    Guido reporting

Latest on Paul Mason’s shouty crackers descent into mid-life crisis.

Shelagh Fogarty has just revealed on air that the leather-jacked Corbyn outrider this morning “bellowed” down the phone at a female LBC producer in an “aggressive” manner, leaving the woman feel “intimidated“. Apparently he was ranting that LBC want to destroy Corbyn and the Labour Party, which is a bit odd given the previous show was James O’Brien.

Looks as if he has upset the BBC female presenters - This is not going to end well for Momentum. They are being carried along on their own hubris.

Where did we see that last year
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

If you’re debating the level of currency controls then you’re massively losing the argument.
    I had a look through the earlier threads but I couldn't see an argument as to why there should be currency controls. Anyone care to guess?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

Cards like the "Revolut" which can switch pre paid funds between currencies instantly with no fees will blow this 1970s lefty nonsense policy out of the water before it even begins.

• Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

Going to need a whole new massive government agency....
    No opportunities for corruption there are there?

I remember being in East Berlin prior to the Wall coming down in the mid 80's, and the Bulgarian head waiter of the restaurant we were in (the plushest place we could find to try and spend the monopoly £8.50's worth of East German Marks we'd had to exchange at some insane govt rate), sidling up to me full of desperation to exchange more of the worthless bits of paper for real money that could actually be exchanged and buy you real things, or the "tourist" shops in Cuba about 20 years ago full of fancy stuff the locals could only stare at in wonder because they didn't have dollars or "convertible Pesos".

Christ!
    We are all going to need bitcoin and etherthum.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Thick. But the correct pronunciation is buried in blurred lines.
  • Options

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Well Boris is saying he'd rather stay in the EU that have a soft Brexit while doubling-down on fantasy rhetoric about a hard Brexit. It's only a matter of time I'd say.
    He is? Or are you over-interpreting him? :p
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

https://twitter.com/aidankerrtweets/status/953297140008325121
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    More a movement than a "clique",Labour has already shown how much it can increase vote share during a campaign and with over 500,000 mobilised members differential turnout is likely to be higher than the Tories who,let's not forget are dying off at a rate of 2% a year,as Hezza reminded us,and even it's own MPs refer to its alleged 70,000 members as "an old folks' home".
    Ideally,the LDs would be biting into the Tory vote but they seem incapable of any progress under Cable.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Mark

""Labour to stop your foreign holidays" is about as toxic as the tabloids need to go to kill Labour at the next election."

It won't happen like that.

McDonnell will say absolutely no plans to impose currency controls - it's fake news.

If, when after two weeks in government, they do exactly that, the line will be 'a sensible approach to deter currency speculation which causes austerity. That Farmer Jones is at it again.'
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    CD13 said:

Mr Mark

""Labour to stop your foreign holidays" is about as toxic as the tabloids need to go to kill Labour at the next election."

McDonnell will say absolutely no plans to impose currency controls - it's fake news.

If, when after two weeks in government, they do exactly that, the line will be 'a sensible approach to deter currency speculation which causes austerity. That Farmer Jones is at it again.'

Note that Corbyn Labour resorts to exactly the same defence and the same language as Donald Trump to counter anything inconvenient by claiming that it is all "fake news"
  • Options

More a movement than a "clique",Labour has already shown how much it can increase vote share during a campaign and with over 500,000 mobilised members differential turnout is likely to be higher than the Tories who,let's not forget are dying off at a rate of 2% a year,as Hezza reminded us,and even it's own MPs refer to its alleged 70,000 members as "an old folks' home".
    Ideally,the LDs would be biting into the Tory vote but they seem incapable of any progress under Cable.

Ah, the old "Tories are dying off" chestnut. How many times has that been used in the past?
  • Options
    State-of the-art electric taxis that London’s transport authorities hope will replace diesel black cabs have yet to enter service on the streets of the capital – because the meter does not work.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/16/flat-fare-dodgy-meter-blocks-rollout-of-londons-electric-cabs
  • Options

And at what rate are Corbyn supporters maturing?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited January 2018
    Sandpit said:

Thanks, I'm having my feminist credentials judged based on my viewing of the music video for Blurred Lines.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

There won't need to be an EU policy as we will be out already.

What's the Canadian Liberal Parties USA policy?
  • Options
    Is there a market on when George Galloway will rejoin Labour?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Actually Ruth Davidson is calling Boris Johnson a liar.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Anazina said:

"Projections on the proposed new boundaries have the system biased even more to the blue team."

Gerrymandering UK style!

Maybe you should look up how the Electoral Commission works.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2018
    Scott_P said:

Is there a market on when George Galloway will rejoin Labour?

About 5 mins after Hug a Hitler Ken is let off the naughty step. Next week?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Right.

I did pretty well. I sold and sold and sold when the markets were predicting them to be getting 35 or more seats. I ended up slightly over-pessimistic for them in the end, but the Lib Dems' failure to ignite was my big money earner at the general election.
    I don't think there was a single member of this board who didn't make out like a bandit on the SpreadEx and Sporting Index LibDem seat markets. I was just mildly teasing you about your thread header a few days before the election where - IIRC - you forecast LibDem losses.

My forecast at the start of the campaign had been for 12-14 LibDem seats. By election day I'd cut that to 10-12 seats, as I had expected the LibDem vote share to be several percentage points higher than it ended up.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Thanks, I'm having my feminist credentials judged based on my viewing of the music video for Blurred Lines.
    I hope you know there’s two versions of the video. In one version the ladies wear clothes....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    stevef said:

And at what rate are Corbyn supporters maturing?
    If they follow the pattern of their guru, not at all :)
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Scott_P said:
    And so it begins. Who'd be a jew in the Labour party?
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    And so it begins. Who'd be a jewel in the Labour party?
    Labour have long been for the many, not the Jew.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Right.

As it happens, I think you are probably right - with the caveat that there is only realistic LibDem gain in Scotland, Fife NE.

And the reason I think you are right is that the LibDem votes are getting more and more concentrated in leafy Remainia. (By which I mean SW London, some parts of Scotland, and a few other seats.) Were an election to be held now, I think they'd probably grab a couple of seats. (But no more than a couple.)

The two interesting things (to me) about the LibDems are:

1. Will Brexit still be a live issue in 2022? I suspect it will be, in that there will be parts of the country where there are concentrated Brexit losses and therefore residual "cross-ness". And it so happens, that a lot of those seats are LibDem/Conservative fights

2. How will the LibDems do in London in the locals this year? I suspect, based on last year's GE, that they will do well in Kingston and Richmond. But are there going to be other areas of recovery? Right now, I don't see it. But it's something to watch out for.
    If anything, they'll probably lose ground in Haringey and Southwark, the only two boroughs outside the South West where they have significant representation. Places like Islington, Lambeth, and Brent, where they were once strong, now look monolithically Labour.

I think that's probably right.

But I was thinking more of Camden, where (among others) the Hampstead, Primrose Hill and Belsize Park wards are all solidly blue now. They also all voted very heavily Remain, and the LibDems have had good representation there in the recent past.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I suspect that it will be a little longer than 2022 until EU Accession talks are in the Tory manifesto. Probably 3 GE away.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Gerrymandering UK style!

Am I to assume it is pure coincidence that the Conservative Party inaugurated this review?
  • Options
  • Options
    felix said:

Anazina said:

Gerrymandering UK style!

I suggest you aren't credulous – the review was requested by the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Anazina said:

Mr. Glenn, show me the English Parliament.

Mr. Mark, silence, heretic! Global warming has always been the Truth.

The fact that it is snowing somewhere up north does not prove global warming theory to be false; just as the fact that it is bright and springlike in London this afternoon does not prove it to be true.

Climate and weather are not the same thing.
    I wish you would tell that to all the Global Warming fanatics who jump on every warm day as proof that AGW is real.
    I do. I have an environmentalist friend who considers all mild winter's days to be products of AGW (then ignores it when it snows). Both groups are equally wrong to conflate weather with climate.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

felix said:

Anazina said:

Gerrymandering UK style!

I suggest you aren't credulous – the review was requested by the Conservative Party.
    No the review is due by law. No party requests it.

Do you imagine we should keep the old boundaries forever?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think it extremely unlikely that either of the main two parties will have "rejoin the EU" as a policy platform in my lifetime. We have made a decision, and we will stick to it.

However, I suspect however "hard" our Brexit is now, that our relationship with the EU will deepen again over time, with us ending up with a relationship with it more like Switzerland or Norway than Canada.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

As things stand at the moment, I'd expect Scottish Labour to make quite big gains against the SNP, and the Scottish Conservatives also to gain some seats. However, a lot depends on how Richard Leonard develops as SLAB leader; he's very different from his predecessors. At the moment he looks quite impressive, from afar at least, but I don't really know how Scots see him.

Waiting and watching. Problem is that a lot of the people in the SLP HQ and the executives of the CLP's are not Corbyn supporters, while Momentum is not capturing the members imagination, yet. There are a lot of people who went over to the SNP who now realise that the iRef2, if it takes place, will definitely be No!, and who are thinking of coming back to SLP. They are the activists that the SLP execs fear, who will bring left wing and socialism back in to the party.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Mark

It is very likely if the polls indicate Corbyn/McDonnell are to win just before the vote the markets will react before they are in power
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Gerrymandering UK style!

Am I to assume it is pure coincidence that the Conservative Party inaugurated this review?
    It didn't. The Boundary Commissions are conducting the review, as is meant to happen every five years, as set by law.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No respectable member of the Labour Party can support that. And then they have the temerity to talk about "Tory scum".

I hope it proves a boon to all other parties on the doorstep.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

felix said:

Anazina said:

Gerrymandering UK style!

The roll is years overdue - the review process is independent. Grow up.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Mark

It is very likely if the polls indicate Corbyn/McDonnell are to win just before the vote the markets will react before they are in power
    There'll be buttons ready to press to move hundreds of billions on the outcome of the next GE exit poll.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Gerrymandering UK style!

It’s periodic. The clue is in the name.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    And so it begins. Who'd be a jew in the Labour party?
    It needs to be taken out of the labour party's control and an independent body mandated to deal with all sexual harrassment, bullying, racism and anti semitism
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I hope you know there’s two versions of the video. In one version the ladies wear clothes....
    As a good Muslim boy I am shocked.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yet Bluenose Joe Anderson is prepared to spend hundreds of millions of council taxpayers' money to help Everton to build their new stadium.
  • Options
    Mike Smithson deliberately or accidentally misses the fact that the SNP are effectively Labour seats when it comes to deciding who will become PM and form the government. So while Lab are 1 behind the Tories, Lab+SNP are 35 ahead.

That's without considering the effect of the likes of Plaid and Greens etc
  • Options
    I am not a Tory and I am not a Blairite. I have voted Labour for 40 years.

Anyone who has lived in a house with any kind of infestation, whether it is fleas, or mice or rats, will know how very difficult it is to get rid of the infestation.

The Labour house is currently infested with Momentum. Eventually, this infestation will have to be removed sooner or later. Because it is vile.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Gerrymandering UK style!

And the reduction of the number of MPs was (I believe) in both the Con and LibDem manifestos for the 2010 election, which is the parliament mandated the reduced numbers. If I am right, that policy actually had a majority of the electorate vote for it.
    Bloody Gerrymanderers.
  • Options
    He's not wrong though is he?

This Tory Party Vice Chair Suggested Unemployed People Should Have Vasectomies

Rising star Ben Bradley, appointed to help the party appeal to young voters, made the comment in a now-deleted blog post. He has since apologised after being approached by BuzzFeed News.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexspence/this-tory-party-vice-chair-suggested-unemployed-people?utm_term=.hnVM1nAwOG#.nvE9D2WpzG
  • Options

Mike Smithson deliberately or accidentally misses the fact that the SNP are effectively Labour seats when it comes to deciding who will become PM and form the government. So while Lab are 1 behind the Tories, Lab+SNP are 35 ahead.

I don’t think that’s the point though, OGH was comparing vote share and seats.
  • Options

He's not wrong though is he?

This Tory Party Vice Chair Suggested Unemployed People Should Have Vasectomies

Rising star Ben Bradley, appointed to help the party appeal to young voters, made the comment in a now-deleted blog post. He has since apologised after being approached by BuzzFeed News.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexspence/this-tory-party-vice-chair-suggested-unemployed-people?utm_term=.hnVM1nAwOG#.nvE9D2WpzG

They made a film about it: Idiocracy :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think it extremely unlikely that either of the main two parties will have "rejoin the EU" as a policy platform in my lifetime. We have made a decision, and we will stick to it.

However, I suspect however "hard" our Brexit is now, that our relationship with the EU will deepen again over time, with us ending up with a relationship with it more like Switzerland or Norway than Canada.
    And you completely discount the possibility of a second referendum?
  • Options
    RobD said:

But he's claiming that the system is "biased" towards the Tories because of the fact they get 1 extra seat. If the SNP are red seats that's not really the case.

The boundary review was never meant to align vote share and vote seats as that depends upon how people vote, the bias that is meant to be fixed is that some constituencies have a lot more voters than others in. That bias remains even if a lot of formerly-Labour seats now having SNP MPs have changed the arithmetic.
  • Options
    stevef said:

Anyone who has lived in a house with any kind of infestation, whether it is fleas, or mice or rats, will know how very difficult it is to get rid of the infestation.

The Labour house is currently infested with Momentum. Eventually, this infestation will have to be removed sooner or later. Because it is vile.

Good on you for saying so. I hope your voice becomes a deafening roar.

I don't mind having Labour take periodic control of the reins of Government, if that is what the voters want. But I take grave exception to the idea of our Government being steered by a cabal who are institutionally anti-semitic.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Corbyn is unlikely to complain about FPTP given it got him more seats and a hung parliament last time and remains the best chance of a Labour majority government under his leadership.

If we had PR Labour would almost certainly split with the likes of Umunna forming a new pro single market party of the centre, perhaps joined by a few Remainer Cameroons like Anna Soubry
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Gerrymandering UK style!

Learn to recognise a "stop digging" situation.

Also, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Periodic_Review_of_Westminster_constituencies
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    stevef said:

Well if that is the case , you voted Labour in the June 17 GE.
  • Options

RobD said:

But he's claiming that the system is "biased" towards the Tories because of the fact they get 1 extra seat. If the SNP are red seats that's not really the case.

The boundary review was never meant to align vote share and vote seats as that depends upon how people vote, the bias that is meant to be fixed is that some constituencies have a lot more voters than others in. That bias remains even if a lot of formerly-Labour seats now having SNP MPs have changed the arithmetic.
    I agree with your point about equalising constituencies, but I think he was comparing vote share to seats gained. The SNP don’t really have anything to do with that calculation.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

"Labour to stop your foreign holidays" is about as toxic as the tabloids need to go to kill Labour at the next election.
    But people went on foreign holidays in the 1960s and 1970s - the heyday of Package Holidays!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

But people went on foreign holidays in the 1960s and 1970s - the heyday of Package Holidays!
    Fine. Run with it....
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn is unlikely to complain about FPTP given it got him more seats and a hung parliament last time and remains the best chance of a Labour majority government under his leadership.

If we had PR Labour would almost certainly split with the likes of Umunna forming a new pro single market party of the centre, perhaps joined by a few Remainer Cameroons like Anna Soubry

Very true , probably both main parties would split if we had PR.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

stevef said:

Well if that is the case , you voted Labour in the June 17 GE.
    And presumably supported Foot in 83 with a substantially more left wing manifesto than Corbyn.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

Can’t inagine gap years surviving the rather harsh £500 maximum!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

As things stand at the moment, I'd expect Scottish Labour to make quite big gains against the SNP, and the Scottish Conservatives also to gain some seats. However, a lot depends on how Richard Leonard develops as SLAB leader; he's very different from his predecessors. At the moment he looks quite impressive, from afar at least, but I don't really know how Scots see him.

Leonard is currently holing himself below the waterline with some utterly bizarre moves.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

On balance I think you are right, but I wouldn't put it at "extremely unlikely". There are reasons why the EU exists and why we were members of it. Those reasons don't disappear just because we ticked a Leave box in a referendum. I don't think there is an outcome acceptable to the UK that doesn't involve a close relationship with the EU, which will be on their terms. Rule taking means giving up our influence and in some sense our sovereignty, which was the whole point of leaving in the first place. I am not sure we are prepared to do that. The EU does work better for us as the tyre hits the road. Against that, there will be a very big inertia against revisiting EU membership. Democracy gives you the ability to do dumb things and people will choose to do dumb things. Mediocrity will carry, I think. It's interesting to see how it plays out.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Alistair said:

Leonard is currently holing himself below the waterline with some utterly bizarre moves.
    Please could you elaborate?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Right.

The only seat I could see them picking up in Scotland on those sorts of figures is Fife NE and that would require a fall in the SNP vote which the model does not contemplate. There comes a point when you can no longer assume that losing nearly 10% of your vote will only make a difference in seats that don't matter to you.

To have 12 MPs on a FPTP system with 7.6% of the vote is actually pretty remarkable. To suggest it would go up on 7% is, I think, optimistic.
    I don't see why you think it's so implausible? After all, the SNP have 35 seats despite just 3% of the UK-wide vote.

Now, obviously, on first glance, that might not seem a valid comparison, since the SNP don't stand in the vast majority of seats - but in fact, the LDs' support in so many seats is so completely, shockingly derisory (losing their deposits in well over half of seats in 2017) that the arithmetical effect isn't that much different to the SNP's case. The LDs' vote is now quite efficiently-distributed, so they will do better than suggested by just voteshare.
    I think it is unlikely because the total quantum of votes is falling significantly. As you correctly point out in many constituencies the Lib Dem performance the last time was so atrocious that there are relatively few to lose. If there is a material fall in the Lib Dem overall vote then I think it is likely to come disproportionately from the seats where they do better. That would include some of the seats that they already hold as well as their "target" seats.

The SNP example is not relevant because they have a dominant position over a certain geographical area. In 2015 this gave them spectacular results but 2017 showed how vulnerable they are to a modest fall. The Lib Dems no longer have anything like that.
    Modest fall? Their vote went from 50% to 37% of the vote. If that is modest then what is large?
  • Options

It is quite likely on this poll though the Tories would win a majority of seats in England but there would be a Labour PM
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    HYUFD said:

Re: Your second paragraph is simply a fiction. Anna Soubry is Tory through and through, she might not like Brexit but she is no Blairite!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

FF43 said:

John_M said:

Indeed - classic demonisation tactics by Europhiles - don't like being governed by unelected beaurocrats ? You must be racist who yearns for the days of the Empire...
    The EU of course wants to create its own Empire challenge the USA and China
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Democracy gives you the ability to do dumb things and people will choose to do dumb things. Mediocrity will carry, I think. It's interesting to see how it plays out.

Purely from a position of statecraft, it would be foolish not to give the people one last chance to revoke Article 50, otherwise our current treaty opt-outs will be gone forever. Despite what May says now, I think she'll go for it once it can no longer be said that it undermines our negotiating position.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Very true , probably both main parties would split if we had PR.
    Almost certainly
  • Options
    edited January 2018

HYUFD said:

Re: Your second paragraph is simply a fiction. Anna Soubry is Tory through and through, she might not like Brexit but she is no Blairite!
    It is of course equally possible there could be a new pro EU Conservative Party formed under PR
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

To even think about imposing capital controls is an admission of failure: if people want to get themselves or their money out of your country, then you having nothing to offer, nothing to be attractive. Such a government cannot survive without destroying democracy and imposing direct rule.

• Options

FF43 said:

Democracy gives you the ability to do dumb things and people will choose to do dumb things. Mediocrity will carry, I think. It's interesting to see how it plays out.

Purely from a position of statecraft, it would be foolish not to give the people one last chance to revoke Article 50, otherwise our current treaty opt-outs will be gone forever. Despite what May says now, I think she'll go for it once it can no longer be said that it undermines our negotiating position.
    They are already gone forever. If we go back begging to be readmitted do you really think they won’t extract some concessions?
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

Anazina said:

To even think about imposing capital controls is an admission of failure: if people want to get themselves or their money out of your country, then you having nothing to offer, nothing to be attractive. Such a government cannot survive without destroying democracy and imposing direct rule.

So much for the thousand year PB Tory reich, we’re going to have a thousand year Corbyn one :o
This discussion has been closed.