Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Double blow for SNP in new YouGov Scotland poll: support for i

124»

Comments

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

So, back to the NHS next week?

Yes it's bad in Scotland Wales and NI but brilliant in England .
    No, its terrible but we are spending more than ever (as if that is actually an answer), apparently.

With the benefit of hindsight I suspect that Corybn wishes he had gone on the vanishing nurses this week.
    I think he would have been criticized if he did.Due to Carillion going into liquidation this week.This is fundamental to Corbyn as it is change from the consensus over the past twenty years.May saying the Labour government gave Carillion contracts enhances the change from Blair.
    Good points. Funny how all the press attacks on Corbyn have made it much easier for him to differentiate himself from the errors of his predecessor. It's one of those 'strange how often evil harms itself' things that Tolkien was so fond of.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,706
    edited January 2018
    Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

I think Theresa May is missing an opportunity on Carillion. Rather than making it a Private Sector good/ Private sector bad sector spat, she should acknowledge Jeremy Corbyn has a point. Say Carillion is an example of things going wrong and her government is going to change how public projects are managed to the benefit of all the stakeholders and for value for money. The private sector has a role to play but it needs to be managed better. So embrace the criticism and own the solution.

The private sector needs to be managed better..... by the Govt?

No Tory PM would last 5 minutes after suggesting such interference.
    Tory PMs don't last if the other side wins elections. Jeremy Corbyn is onto something here. She can let him run with it or she can embrace and own.

Edit. In any case Mrs May implied she would be dealing with this kind of behaviour. See her citizens of nowhere speech that I excerpted below.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited January 2018

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

No, its terrible but we are spending more than ever (as if that is actually an answer), apparently.

With the benefit of hindsight I suspect that Corybn wishes he had gone on the vanishing nurses this week.
    I think he would have been criticized if he did.Due to Carillion going into liquidation this week.This is fundamental to Corbyn as it is change from the consensus over the past twenty years.May saying the Labour government gave Carillion contracts enhances the change from Blair.
    The contract labour (Leeds) gave was only last week
    I thought Corbyn said Leeds had not signed it ? Anyways either way he is trying to break the consensus that went from John Major through to Blair and Brown and now May .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,189

rcs1000 said:

LOL.

Didn't take long. Our very own Mr Independence RCS moves to California and within a few months he has persuaded most of the state to try to secede from the central government. :)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/16/new-california-declares-independence-california-bid-become-51st-state/1036681001/

New California would be comfortably Republican, while Old California would be massively Democratic. It seems a neat device to bring two more Republican Senators to Washington.

(I believe Nigel Farage has been involved in the Calexit campaign.)

Edit to add: there is basically no chance this happens.
    There is one scenario where this could happen.

The USA has ever since the Missouri Compromise of 1820 had roughly two centuries of ensuring that when states are added they're added without disrupting the balance of power in the Senate.

There is already a campaign to recognise Puerto Rico as an official State, it would be a Blue state. Splitting California in two while recognising Puerto Rico would maintain the red/blue balance.
    That seems extremely sensible. So there is absolutely no chance.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

I wonder how many cases like this there will be (rather a lot, I expect) ...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/16/carillion-casualty-landscaper-owed-1m-could-go-bust
    managing director, Andy Bradley, said he had to make 10 people redundant – out of 90 – on Monday after Carillion went into liquidation. He was told by PricewaterhouseCoopers, the accountants handling the liquidation together with the official receiver, that Flora-tec would be paid only for work done since then.

Flora-tec is owed £1m (£800,000 plus VAT) – more than 10% of its annual turnover – by Carillion for gritting and snow-clearing work carried out at schools, hospitals, prisons and courts in the past two months. Flora-tec was due to be paid for the work next week...

Honest question: do companies take out credit default insurance for this sort of thing?
    It's available, as are factoring services. I feel very sorry for Mr Bradley and his staff, but I think he's ultimately responsible for making his own business judgements.

According to the ONS, there were 328,000 business closures in 2016 (the latest figures available). Of course, large players like Carillion are reasonably rare, but I believe it's important to keep it in perspective.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

I think Theresa May is missing an opportunity on Carillion. Rather than making it a Private Sector good/ Private sector bad sector spat, she should acknowledge Jeremy Corbyn has a point. Say Carillion is an example of things going wrong and her government is going to change how public projects are managed to the benefit of all the stakeholders and for value for money. The private sector has a role to play but it needs to be managed better. So embrace the criticism and own the solution.

Mrs May points out, correctly, that the government and sundry other public bodies are customers of the likes of Carillion.

Most customers take some steps to ensure that they are getting what they pay for. Why doesn't the government? Especially when what it is buying will often be going to vulnerable groups who cannot speak for themselves. Suggesting that the customer should get what it pays for is hardly Marxism.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,980
    edited January 2018
    stevef said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Jeremy Corbyn’s spokesman says it is “nonsense that he had a senior moment” after he forgot to ask a question to the Prime Minister at Prime Minister’s Questions.

Those eager young Corbynites are going to get sick of him soon, aren't they....
    No, they are fanatics. Its when he loses the next election that the disillusionment sets in -or worse, if Corbyn becomes PM and then (inevitably) fails to deliver their expectations. Either way, there will come a time when Corbyn is regarded as one of the worst ever Labour leaders.
    I may disagree with virtually everything he stands for but Corbyn can certainly say he has already achieved more for Labour than Gaitskill, Callaghan, Foot, Kinnock, Brown and Miliband managed in electoral terms whatever else happens under his leadership going forward
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/16/carillion-casualty-landscaper-owed-1m-could-go-bust
    managing director, Andy Bradley, said he had to make 10 people redundant – out of 90 – on Monday after Carillion went into liquidation. He was told by PricewaterhouseCoopers, the accountants handling the liquidation together with the official receiver, that Flora-tec would be paid only for work done since then.

Flora-tec is owed £1m (£800,000 plus VAT) – more than 10% of its annual turnover – by Carillion for gritting and snow-clearing work carried out at schools, hospitals, prisons and courts in the past two months. Flora-tec was due to be paid for the work next week...

Honest question: do companies take out credit default insurance for this sort of thing?
    No, I don't think so. It's not a market insurance companies would like, because customers would only insure the dodgy ones.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Cut to 1-2 and only the one ton allowed on. Nevertheless should be winnings of £50 when it is displayed :)

OTOH...
    https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/953610231644291072
    Especially since the Battle of Hastings didn't take place in Hastings.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Blue_rog said:

Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

If it's not currently available it sounds like a great business opportunity
    Lloyd’s probably do it, they’ll insure almost anything. It’s a bloody good idea if your company relies on another company for a large proportion of their revenue.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,706
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

Mrs May points out, correctly, that the government and sundry other public bodies are customers of the likes of Carillion.

Most customers take some steps to ensure that they are getting what they pay for. Why doesn't the government? Especially when what it is buying will often be going to vulnerable groups who cannot speak for themselves. Suggesting that the customer should get what it pays for is hardly Marxism.
    True. Also the government is more than a customer. It sets the framework according to its policy objectives which go further than just the actual transactions.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

I thought Corbyn said Leeds had not signed it ? Anyways either way he is trying to break the consensus that went from John Major through to Blair and Brown and now May .
    I accept that Corbyn is attempting to tie in new labour as part of the problem but what was frightening was his total ignorance on business matters

He would devastate business within weeks of coming to office simply through ignorance
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

True. Also the government is more than a customer. It sets the framework according to its policy objectives which go further than just the actual transactions.
    And they usually have statutory duties to provide the services contracted for. How they deliver them is a matter for the government but the duty is on them. Same with local authorities and care packages where far too many corners are being cut.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906
    Nigelb said:

He'll have to wait 6 months to reclaim his VAT !

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70018-relief-from-vat-on-bad-debts/vat-notice-70018-relief-from-vat-on-bad-debts
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044

Pulpstar said:

Cut to 1-2 and only the one ton allowed on. Nevertheless should be winnings of £50 when it is displayed :)

OTOH...
    Politics is about winning.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

Agreed , I did not like previously paying 2% to use a credit card to pay for some deposits on contracted work on my house.However I used it as insurance incase the company went bust.Then I could get my money back if required.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

No, I don't think so. It's not a market insurance companies would like, because customers would only insure the dodgy ones.
    Some of my clients have had it in the past. But they generally have to take it out on an insure all basis rather than being selective for the reasons you point out.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

OTOH...
    Battle Abbey would be closer to the actual site
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

OTOH...
    Yes, The Battle of Hastings should be called The Battle of Battle.
  • Options
    One in the eye for Jeremy if the Bayeux Tapestry is put on display in Hastings and Amber Rudd benefits. Of course if Corbyn had been King Harold in 1066 he would have claimed that he had won the Battle of Hastings and the fact that William the Conqueror was crowned king was fake news.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

Agreed , I did not like previously paying 2% to use a credit card to pay for some deposits on contracted work on my house.However I used it as insurance incase the company went bust.Then I could get my money back if required.
    Credit cards are often a very cost effective mode of insurance.
  • Options
    stevef said:

One in the eye for Jeremy if the Bayeux Tapestry is put on display in Hastings and Amber Rudd benefits. Of course if Corbyn had been King Harold in 1066 he would have claimed that he had won the Battle of Hastings and the fact that William the Conqueror was crowned king was fake news.

Err, how would Harold done that? He was dead.
  • Options
    stevef said:

Battle Abbey is in Bexhill and Battle constituency not Hastings and Rye
  • Options
    This is good news:

The Official Receiver is very pleased with the level of support shown by Carillion’s private sector service customers. Over the past 48 hours all of the company’s private sector service customers have been contacted to determine their ongoing needs.

Over 90% of these customers have indicated that they want Carillion to continue providing services in the interim until new suppliers can be found and will provide funding which enables the Official Receiver to retain the employees working on those contracts.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2018/jan/17/carillion-crisis-suppliers-job-losses-distress-global-risks-business-live

13:07

I am curious as to the legal structure for doing this. Is it simply that the Official Receiver agrees to keep employing the workers and providing the service in exchange for the customer agreeing to keep paying future Carillion invoices as normal? If so, how does that square with the fact that he's supposed to be liquidating the group, rather than acting as an administrator?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

stevef said:

You think a mere arrow in the eye could stop the mighty Corbyn? Oh yea of so little faith!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    The British Museum is shit.

Why should London get all the goods?

If May is serious about spreading the love to the provinces she'll send it to Battle, which has a far more interesting museum.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stevef said:

Oh thats irrelevant. Perception is everything in politics, and politics pays no heed to such facts. Hastings would inevitably profit economically from the Bayeux Tapestry being put on display in the region simply because it commemorates the Battle of Hastings.
  • Options
    This is my favourite section of the Bayeux tapestry

• Options

If May is serious about spreading the love to the provinces she'll send it to Battle, which has a far more interesting museum.

Huw Merriman is an excellent chap. but he really doesn't need any help in retaining his seat!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    stevef said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

Oh thats irrelevant. Perception is everything in politics, and politics pays no heed to such facts. Hastings would inevitably profit economically from the Bayeux Tapestry being put on display in the region simply because it commemorates the Battle of Hastings.
    In the East Sussex area maybe but Battle Abbey, the main battle exhibition and the battlefield itself are in Battle

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/1066-battle-of-hastings-abbey-and-battlefield/
  • Options

Send it to the Royal Armouries in Leeds.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Pulpstar said:

OTOH...
    I wonder what Battle was called beforehand. If it was called Battle, that's next level nominative determinism.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

This is good news:

The Official Receiver is very pleased with the level of support shown by Carillion’s private sector service customers. Over the past 48 hours all of the company’s private sector service customers have been contacted to determine their ongoing needs.

Over 90% of these customers have indicated that they want Carillion to continue providing services in the interim until new suppliers can be found and will provide funding which enables the Official Receiver to retain the employees working on those contracts.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2018/jan/17/carillion-crisis-suppliers-job-losses-distress-global-risks-business-live

I am curious as to the legal structure for doing this. Is it simply that the Official Receiver agrees to keep employing the workers and providing the service in exchange for the customer agreeing to keep paying future Carillion invoices as normal? If so, how does that square with the fact that he's supposed to be liquidating the group, rather than acting as an administrator?

The liquidator has the power to wind up the affairs of the company. If he chooses to do so this can include winding down or concluding contracts in a way that prevents claims arising against the company to the detriment of other creditors. Most liquidators are pretty cautious about doing this as they are personally liable for any contractual obligations incurred after their appointment but the Official Receiver has a pretty good backer who is very keen to ensure that the contracts are indeed wound down in an orderly way.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Sandpit said:

Blue_rog said:

Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

If it's not currently available it sounds like a great business opportunity
    Lloyd’s probably do it, they’ll insure almost anything. It’s a bloody good idea if your company relies on another company for a large proportion of their revenue.
    Anything except financial guarantee, and land based war risks. Insolvency cover might well be financial guarantee
  • Options
    DavidL said:

stevef said:

You think a mere arrow in the eye could stop the mighty Corbyn? Oh yea of so little faith!
    Corbynistas would have claimed that Corbyn's death was fake news or that he had risen on the Third Day. Corbyn would have ended up with arrows in both eyes for "there is none so blind as those who will not see".
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited January 2018
    For those on various Trump impeachment bets, a reassuring 538 chat:

harry: I’ll just say what I’ve always said: The chance of impeachment is underrated and the chance of conviction is probably overrated.

natesilver: I mean … it’s more likely than not that Trump gets impeached, right?

micah: I’m not sure of that.

harry: There’s a pretty good shot, but that’s a rather bold statement.

clare.malone: Well, it’s basically like answering the question of whether or not you’re confident in a Democratic House wave in 2018.

perry: So Democrats are likely to win House. Correct. There will be a huge push from liberal activists for impeachment.

Is that 50 percent? Let me think about that.

natesilver: Let’s say a 65 percent chance of Democrats winning the House, which is about where betting markets have it. Conditional upon their winning the House, what’s the chance Trump gets impeached? Maybe 75 percent? Plus a small chance that he does something so egregious that even if Republicans hold the House, they impeach him. I think you come out at about 50 percent or a bit higher.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-was-most-surprising-about-trumps-first-year/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The liquidator has the power to wind up the affairs of the company. If he chooses to do so this can include winding down or concluding contracts in a way that prevents claims arising against the company to the detriment of other creditors. Most liquidators are pretty cautious about doing this as they are personally liable for any contractual obligations incurred after their appointment but the Official Receiver has a pretty good backer who is very keen to ensure that the contracts are indeed wound down in an orderly way.

Right, thanks. (Also, I believe the Official Receiver isn't personally liable, it's a special case).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

OTOH...
    I wonder what Battle was called beforehand. If it was called Battle, that's next level nominative determinism.
    I thought the town of Battle emerged after the Abbey commemorating the Battle of Hastings was built.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

OTOH...
    I thought the town of Battle emerged after the Abbey commemorating the Battle of Hastings was built.
    Correct. There was nothing much (if anything) there before the Abbey was built.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797
    That's a shame for Nicola.
  • Options

For those on various Trump impeachment bets, a reassuring 538 chat

PS Paddy Power still 10/3 for a 2019 impeachment.
  • Options
    stevef said:

DavidL said:

stevef said:

Corbynistas would have claimed that Corbyn's death was fake news or that he had risen on the Third Day. Corbyn would have ended up with arrows in both eyes for "there is none so blind as those who will not see".
    You sure you're a Labour supporter?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Right, thanks. (Also, I believe the Official Receiver isn't personally liable, it's a special case).
    Ah, we don't have Official Receivers in Scotland.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,972
    edited January 2018
    Good afternoon, my fellow Anglo-Saxons.

There's also Battlefield, where Henry IV decisively moved to crush Henry Hotspur, seeing off the dangerous Percy rebellion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary_Magdalene's_Church,_Battlefield

Edited extra bit: Martin Whitmarsh, former McLaren boss and decent fellow, is returning as a consultant: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42719672
  • Options

harry: I’ll just say what I’ve always said: The chance of impeachment is underrated and the chance of conviction is probably overrated.

natesilver: I mean … it’s more likely than not that Trump gets impeached, right?

clare.malone: Well, it’s basically like answering the question of whether or not you’re confident in a Democratic House wave in 2018.

perry: So Democrats are likely to win House. Correct. There will be a huge push from liberal activists for impeachment.

natesilver: Let’s say a 65 percent chance of Democrats winning the House, which is about where betting markets have it. Conditional upon their winning the House, what’s the chance Trump gets impeached? Maybe 75 percent? Plus a small chance that he does something so egregious that even if Republicans hold the House, they impeach him. I think you come out at about 50 percent or a bit higher.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-was-most-surprising-about-trumps-first-year/

That's been my view.

The interesting thing about the Dems controlling the House is that they can totally seize up Trump's Presidency by holding hearings, requesting documents etc.

Trump won't be able to use executive privilege either when it comes to investigations into his campaign.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

OTOH...
    Correct. There was nothing much (if anything) there before the Abbey was built.
    I knew it, I'm seldom wrong when it comes to history.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

stevef said:

DavidL said:

stevef said:

Oh yes I am a Labour supporter. But I loathe the hard left with a passion. What an insult to Attlee and Wilson by Corbynista supporter Paul Mason yesterday to suggest that a future Corbyn government would be the first government in our history to represent the working class.
    Corbyn and his cronies arent really Labour supporters. They really belong in the communist or SWP. For decades they have been discrediting Labour and ensuring Labour's defeat. They give Labour a bad name. The hard left is vicious, intolerant, incompetent, blinkered and bad.

Anyone who loves Labour truly will loathe Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,906
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ah, we don't have Official Receivers in Scotland.
    I could do with a bit of Scottish law in my life right now ^^;
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

I accept that Corbyn is attempting to tie in new labour as part of the problem but what was frightening was his total ignorance on business matters

He would devastate business within weeks of coming to office simply through ignorance
    You could be correct.Been a centrist dad , with Corbyn supporting daughters and a Thatcherite father , the referendum certainly brought home the differences.However many more people are prepared to throw the dice, than I ever thought possible.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

That's been my view.

The interesting thing about the Dems controlling the House is that they can totally seize up Trump's Presidency by holding hearings, requesting documents etc.

Trump won't be able to use executive privilege either when it comes to investigations into his campaign.
    I don't think impeachment is a good strategy for the Democrats, as it happens. But as perry says, there will be a huge push for it, and that will tie into the Democratic primary as well (though I don't think there are any House Democrats that likely to contend).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,465
    The cognitive assessment on which Trump did "exceedingly well":
    http://dementia.ie/images/uploads/site-images/MoCA-Test-English_7_1.pdf

.... not exactly a high bar.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Ms Greening’s constituency is full of well-paid young people who, thanks to higher competition for housing largely driven by immigration, are stuck in house shares with no prospect of home ownership. Freedom of movement is not working for them.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Ms Greening’s constituency is full of well-paid young people who, thanks to higher competition for housing largely driven by immigration, are stuck in house shares with no prospect of home ownership. Freedom of movement is not working for them.
    But it needs to be given a chance to work first. There is a huge difference between seeking to ignore a democratic referendum to leave -which the likes of Blair and Clegg are trying to do -and campaigning to rejoin after we have left. If we do rejoin however, we will have to accept the Euro.
  • Options
    stevef said:

DavidL said:

stevef said:

DavidL said:

stevef said:

Oh yes I am a Labour supporter. But I loathe the hard left with a passion. What an insult to Attlee and Wilson by Corbynista supporter Paul Mason yesterday to suggest that a future Corbyn government would be the first government in our history to represent the working class.
    Corbyn and his cronies arent really Labour supporters. They really belong in the communist or SWP. For decades they have been discrediting Labour and ensuring Labour's defeat. They give Labour a bad name. The hard left is vicious, intolerant, incompetent, blinkered and bad.

And you reconcile the fact that there are 30 more Labour MPs in this Parliament than the last because of Corbyn how, exactly?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    RoyalBlue said:

A more disingenuous argument it would be hard to find. Do you think people in Putney are crying out to depopulate London?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

You could be correct.Been a centrist dad , with Corbyn supporting daughters and a Thatcherite father , the referendum certainly brought home the differences.However many more people are prepared to throw the dice, than I ever thought possible.

The difficulty attacking Corbyn as a nailed on calamity is he may not be.....if Corbynomics impacts on UK industry, like Brexit it will be attritional and over time. But I am inclined to agree with Hezza.. the country has much more to fear from Brexit than Corbyn
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    stevef said:

Look, I've been a party member for 47 years and avoided all the sectarian backbiting that periodically pops up from either wing of the party, and I'm going to avoid yours too. But, however strongly you feel, you're really not entitled to dictate that only your view is the correct one, any more than the most fanatical lefty insisting that there is only one True Belief.

I've yet to see you say anything positive about Labour or critical about the Conservatives: every post is about how you feel about Corbyn. The message would be more convincing if you varied it a bit.
  • Options
    F1: ha, got excited when I saw the first part of a new F1 market on Ladbrokes. 6 for Hamilton to get 8 or more (thought it might be wins) championships.

I'd avoid that. He's on four right now. It's certainly credible, but the best case scenario is you collect at ok odds in December 2021. Not a fan of tying up money for that long, at those odds.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    RoyalBlue said:

They choose to live in the most successful city in Europe, successful because of their open-minded attitudes and that of those that come here. Your deranged project seeks to undo that, closing off London as a world capital, rendering it less economically successful. Yet you dare to preach to young Londoners, who you clearly see as suffering from false consciousness.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    stevef said:

RoyalBlue said:

But it needs to be given a chance to work first. There is a huge difference between seeking to ignore a democratic referendum to leave -which the likes of Blair and Clegg are trying to do -and campaigning to rejoin after we have left. If we do rejoin however, we will have to accept the Euro.
    This is an odd argument, because the crux of it is that the only non-negotiable result you see from the 2016 referendum will be to remove our opt-out from the Euro.
  • Options
    I wonder how many people are like me and faffing around and looking at pbCOM instead of completing their tax return?

Even a thread on Scottish politics which I have as much interest in as watching "Bake Off" becomes eminently more appealing during this period....
  • Options
    Mr. Tyson, look on the bright side. Paying tax is better than not paying tax.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

RoyalBlue said:

They choose to live in the most successful city in Europe, successful because of their open-minded attitudes and that of those that come here. Your deranged project seeks to undo that, closing off London as a world capital, rendering it less economically successful. Yet you dare to preach to young Londoners, who you clearly see as suffering from false consciousness.
    To blame immigration for our housing problems is just racist and nonsense...a bit like blaming immigration for NHS shortages as I got from bloke in the pub yesterday....
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    DavidL said:

And you reconcile the fact that there are 30 more Labour MPs in this Parliament than the last because of Corbyn how, exactly?

Because of the so-called Progressive Alliance, of course. The Green Party started the rot, followed by parts of the media and one or two retired politicians in the Liberal Democrats. Effectively, the message was that it was OK to vote Labour in order to stop the Tory landslide that everybody was expecting.

Mr Corbyn himself had nothing to do with it, except to be all things to all men. But somebody somewhere in the higher echelons of the Labour Party recognised that this was a good opportunity to take everything and give nothing.

The Green Party, at least, has seen the error of its ways. The idea of a progressive alliance has been killed off by Labour. This situation will not be repeated.
  • Options

That is my argument that I have always said...you should be pleased to pay more tax because it shows that you have something worth taxing...
  • Options
    tyson said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

The difficulty attacking Corbyn as a nailed on calamity is he may not be.....if Corbynomics impacts on UK industry, like Brexit it will be attritional and over time. But I am inclined to agree with Hezza.. the country has much more to fear from Brexit than Corbyn
    It's the possible combination of the two that dismays me.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Testify.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    tyson said:

Anazina said:

RoyalBlue said:

To blame immigration for our housing problems is just racist and nonsense...a bit like blaming immigration for NHS shortages as I got from bloke in the pub yesterday....
    Sadly it is all too easy to find people who blame all society's ills on their obsession –immigration.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @Nigelb

Very good reply. I do not think the answers to our country future somehow are rooted in the past, either from those ideological reactionaries who hark back to the empire or from the ideological left who see solutions in the state leftism of the 1970's. The fact that both sets are likely to get a go at driving the bus over the next decade or so dismays me too.

Every cloud though....at least completing my tax returns will be quicker with much less to show in ten years time
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Trump's new tax bill looks well targeted.

"Goldman Sachs has reported its first quarterly loss since 2011, due to a $4.4bn charge from the Trump administrations new tax bill"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-42662091
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938

This is good news:

Carillion Group PLC will be liquaditated, but subsidiaries that are separate legal entities will likely end up in administration.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

DavidL said:

Because of the so-called Progressive Alliance, of course. The Green Party started the rot, followed by parts of the media and one or two retired politicians in the Liberal Democrats. Effectively, the message was that it was OK to vote Labour in order to stop the Tory landslide that everybody was expecting.

Mr Corbyn himself had nothing to do with it, except to be all things to all men. But somebody somewhere in the higher echelons of the Labour Party recognised that this was a good opportunity to take everything and give nothing.

The Green Party, at least, has seen the error of its ways. The idea of a progressive alliance has been killed off by Labour. This situation will not be repeated.
    I am as about as far as being a fan of Corbyn as it is possible to get (or at least I thought so until I read some comments by some Labour supporters) but this seems a highly distorted and fanciful rewriting of history.

Corbyn had an excellent campaign. He spoke well, he enthused younger voters and others often not inclined to vote and his campaign seemed relatively organised (unlike May's). It is absurd to pretend that this did not affect the result just because he is of a different sect. Absurd.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The cognitive assessment on which Trump did "exceedingly well":
    http://dementia.ie/images/uploads/site-images/MoCA-Test-English_7_1.pdf

.... not exactly a high bar.

Though I suppose it's good to know that the US president can identify a lion and a camel...
  • Options
    tyson said:

That is my argument that I have always said...you should be pleased to pay more tax because it shows that you have something worth taxing...
    One of my ambitions is to pay CGT. Not so far....
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,614
    tyson said:

I wonder how many people are like me and faffing around and looking at pbCOM instead of completing their tax return?

Even a thread on Scottish politics which I have as much interest in as watching "Bake Off" becomes eminently more appealing during this period....

snap
  • Options

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Testify.
    If people want Corbynism and vote for it, shouldn't they get it? I speak as someone who will obviously be doing my utmost to persuade them otherwise. Having the EU as an anti-democratic backstop isn't very satisfactory, is it?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Testify.
    If people want Corbynism and vote for it, shouldn't they get it? I speak as someone who will obviously be doing my utmost to persuade them otherwise. Having the EU as an anti-democratic backstop isn't very satisfactory, is it?
    That’s democracy. I’m not a fan of either Brexit or Corbyn, I respect the will of the people but it also makes me mournful at the stupidity of voters.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Testify.
    Quite. If the electorate vote for PM Corbyn, that's democracy. I'm a democrat before I'm a Tory or such.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2018

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Testify.
    Yes, but it does no harm pointing out, to those (well represented on this site) who think that maybe he won't be as bad as he says he will be, that that the risk is even greater without the backstop.

Or, to put it another way, if you take back control, you need to be extra careful to exercise it responsibly.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    tyson said:

Anazina said:

RoyalBlue said:

To say the size of the population has no impact on housing shortages is of course rather naive. If London only had 7 million people as in 2001 rather than nearly 9 million as now - and that's after 700,000 locals have apparently left according to the census - perhaps the housing crisis wouldn't be as large. Over a third of its residents were born abroad - and immigration has clearly driven most of that rise.

The government has presided over a very large scale rise in immigration over the last 20 years - while totally failing to invest in the housing and infrastructure needed as a result.

It's not the fault of immigrants - but immigration has surely contributed towards the increased housing demand and shortage or social housing. Cos rising housing demand is in part linked to population growth isn't it?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is good news:

Carillion Group PLC will be liquaditated, but subsidiaries that are separate legal entities will likely end up in administration.
    Interesting. Surely Group PLC's shares in profitable subsidiaries are its assets, i.e. the PLC's receivers will flog them?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

This is my favourite section of the Bayeux tapestry

Is that the harrowing of the north?
  • Options
    You guys are not too good at sticking to the topic, are you? The topic is the SNP losing 4% support to the LD's, Greens, UKIP and to some extent the Conservatives, plus 1% down on Independence. The Bayeux Tapestry is obviously more interesting. As a Green Independence supporter I can live with such a poll, and I think when the terms of Brexit become more obvious people in Scotland will be looking for the lifeboat.
This discussion has been closed.