Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Laura Pidcock – the 33/1 newbie MP who is being tipped as Corb

Comments

• Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044

stevef said:

There is no law to say that Labour has to be one of the two great parties competing for power at general elections. Parties can and do die. They get replaced. Ask the Liberals.

A lot of Tories were saying similar on here at the first annunciation of Jezza.
    A lot of Labourites were saying it too -including most Labour MPs and every living ex Labour leader.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boris Johnson talks about massive erection

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/954110038142062599

Who would pay for such a bridge, Boris?
    If we can get Joanna Lumley involved and appeal for private finance, it's bound to be a winner.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    kle4 said:

Boris Johnson talks about massive erection

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/954110038142062599

Who would pay for such a bridge, Boris?
    The Mexicans. They're a soft-touch for big infrastructure projects, apparently.....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Would this be the Laura Pidcock who jetted off to Venice for her birthday for a week when Parliament was sitting thereby missing a debate on Universal Credit, a topic she claimed was close to her heart, and which formed the basis of her questions to the PM?

And who, when criticised, moaned that it was her birthday, apparently oblivious of the concept of weekends / celebrating her birthday in London / putting her constituents first.

The Laura Pidcock who claimed she could not afford to buy a house and then bought a 3-bedroom house?

That Laura Pidcock?

Yes - she seems to have all the qualities needed for being a Labour star: buckets of self-righteousness, a culture of entitlement and the necessary amount of hypocrisy.

Shes bought a house and not only a house but a detached one.

Of course her and her partner dont really need 3 bedrooms either they should make do with a tent IMO.

And she has been on holiday as well what a bloody hypocrite.

You do astound me at times Ms Cyclefree.
    You miss the point.

You said she has "buckets of self-righteousness, a culture of entitlement and the necessary amount of hypocrisy" for getting a mortgage on a modest property with her boyfriend and for not cancelling a birthday treat.

You come over as a mixture of a Daily Mail hate Columnist and Guido, tonight.

You are better than that.
  • Options
    stevef said:

stevef said:

There is no law to say that Labour has to be one of the two great parties competing for power at general elections. Parties can and do die. They get replaced. Ask the Liberals.

A lot of Labourites were saying it too -including most Labour MPs and every living ex Labour leader.
    And yet here we are almost two and a half years later with Lab & Cons neck & neck in the polls.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Would this be the Laura Pidcock who jetted off to Venice for her birthday for a week when Parliament was sitting thereby missing a debate on Universal Credit, a topic she claimed was close to her heart, and which formed the basis of her questions to the PM?

And who, when criticised, moaned that it was her birthday, apparently oblivious of the concept of weekends / celebrating her birthday in London / putting her constituents first.

The Laura Pidcock who claimed she could not afford to buy a house and then bought a 3-bedroom house?

That Laura Pidcock?

Yes - she seems to have all the qualities needed for being a Labour star: buckets of self-righteousness, a culture of entitlement and the necessary amount of hypocrisy.

Of course her and her partner dont really need 3 bedrooms either they should make do with a tent IMO.

You miss the point.

You said she has "buckets of self-righteousness, a culture of entitlement and the necessary amount of hypocrisy" for getting a mortgage on a modest property with her boyfriend and for not cancelling a birthday treat.

But are you better than being an apologist for anti-semites? No evidence of it yet....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

Of course there is nothing wrong with going on holiday or buying a house, but that’s not what is being said.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris is planning a canal between England and France.
  • Options

stevef said:

stevef said:

And yet here we are almost two and a half years later with Lab & Cons neck & neck in the polls.
    Miliband was 12 points ahead. Kinnock 13. Even Foot was ahead in 1980. No opposition has ever come to power without being at least 15 points ahead between elections.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Also Piddlecock is too ridiculous a name to be PM.

• Options
    stevef said:

stevef said:

Most admitted they were wrong.

Not you though Comrade F
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

”Birthday treat”? For an adult? Infantilizing bollocks, if I may say so.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

stevef said:

There is no law to say that Labour has to be one of the two great parties competing for power at general elections. Parties can and

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

And I notice you don’t bother to answer my question about a fellow party member who wrote that Holocaust victims “died with dignity”.

The Labour Party used to be better than that. Does it make you proud to be in a party with members who write such things? You are, I hope, decent enough to be better than such people.

As for Pidcock, everything I wrote was true. There would be little criticism of her if she had not held herself out to be such a great exemplar and if she had done the job she is paid to do.

In my professional life I cancelled holidays if the work demanded it. A professional puts their clients first. An MP puts their constituents first. More action, less self-advertisement would be my advice to her if she really wants to earn praise and respect for her work rather than just for being teacher’s pet.
  • Options

stevef said:

stevef said:

Most admitted they were wrong.

Not you though Comrade F
    No. I celebrate leaders who win not leaders who lose.
  • Options
    That was a classic, and SeanT's response was one of the best posts ever on PB.

You can still find it here (comment number 18).

https://web.archive.org/web/20101008042534/http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2008/09/12/could-kitty-be-labours-sarah-palin/
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

Of course there is nothing wrong with going on holiday or buying a house, but that’s not what is being said.
    BJO is, I’m sorry to say, deliberately missing the point.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Channel Bridge, HS2 and a unicorn park. Perhaps it is time for Boris to retire.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited January 2018

https://web.archive.org/web/20101008042534/http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2008/09/12/could-kitty-be-labours-sarah-palin/
    I remember Shadsy's comment

100/1 Kitty at ladbrokes. I will ensure some extra telephonists are on standby to cover the rush.

(Comment number 55)
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

But are you better than being an apologist for anti-semites? No evidence of it yet....
    I abhor all forms of Racism including Anti Semitism

You are definitely an apologist for lots of shitty things though.

• Options

I remember Shadsy's comment

100/1 Kitty at ladbrokes. I will ensure some extra telephonists are on standby to cover the rush.

(Comment number 55)
    LOL! I'd forgotten that.
  • Options

Shadsy's response wasn't bad either:

"100/1 Kitty at ladbrokes. I will ensure some extra telephonists are on standby to cover the rush."
  • Options
    A channel bridge is exactly the sort of forward thinking idea that Boris has but the prudes of the Uk will poo poo.

A privately funded airport in the estuary and a bridge paid for by tolls would get the economy ticking nicely.

Of course the ninny’s of the nation will never go for it - in case it upsets someone.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ok, Dems +14 on the generic ballot has me rethinking the whole "No chance of gains in the Senate" position I have taken.

https://mobile.twitter.com/POLITICO_Steve/status/954092652433035264
  • Options

You abhor all forms of racism including anti-Semitism, but not to the extent that you let it influence your vote.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    Ishmael_Z said:

WTF do you do for a whole week somewhere as small, smug, boring, self-regarding and over-hyped as Venice?

I visited churches, went to islands, shopped, ate at restaurants, stopped in cafes, walked for hours getting lost in the districts. Almost was stabbed by a man with a stiletto as a I stumbled on a picturesque street brawl in a back lane that could have come from a Caravaggio painting. And saw loads of art. Tintoretto was the big discovery for me. The humane and moving painter.

Venice is dying but it isn't boring. Like Stevenage.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

Name them.

Or STFU - crawl back to your anti-semitic party and prepare for power.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2018
    IIRC a cross-Channel bridge was seriously considered before a tunnel was chosen as the preferred option.

I've no idea which would be more cost-effective if we were to create a new link in the future. Tunnelling technology has advanced considerably, I believe.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

A channel bridge is exactly the sort of forward thinking idea that Boris has but the prudes of the Uk will poo poo.

A privately funded airport in the estuary and a bridge paid for by tolls would get the economy ticking nicely.

Of course the ninny’s of the nation will never go for it - in case it upsets someone.

Dry sarcasm. Well done.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Dry sarcasm. Well done.
    I’m being being serious - if private money wants to build a bridge then let them go for it - I’d even give them a tax break.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

I think you are using trivial examples of things you think make Pidcock a hypocrite. I think the examples you give are pathetic TBH.

Then you bring in serious allegations of Anti Semitic comments which i agree with you are abhorent but have nothing at all to do with Laura Pidcock

I stand by my comment that you have gone all Guido and are better than that but think i will leave it at that for tonight
  • Options
    >
    stevef said:

I was convinced Corbyn was the kiss of death for the Labour Party. How wrong I was! The reason was hidden in plain sight. He can't lead and wouldn't know a policy if it bit him in the backside. He's an issues man. Many of those issues are ones that bother ordinary people.

Yes he's utterly incompetent but, you know what? Given a choice between Corbyn and say, Johnson, who is still in the running for Tory leadership, I would go for Corbyn. You would have a gun at my head, but at least Corbyn is sincere.

• Options

Shadsy's response wasn't bad either:

"100/1 Kitty at ladbrokes. I will ensure some extra telephonists are on standby to cover the rush."
    For that matter, I see that my response at comment 101 wasn't a bad forecast.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It could be as gamechanging as his cable car across the Thames!

• Options
    IIRC the Denmark to Sweden tunnel is actually a big pipe which was sunk down onto the sea bed - no tunnelling required.

Brunel would have ate up the channel for tea with today’s technology. Unfortunately your average graduate these days is studying trans right so prefers tearing down statues and checking privilege than forging the future.
  • Options
    Myself and Cyclefree will be shocked by the story on the left.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/954122033532755969
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

”Birthday treat”? For an adult? Infantilizing bollocks, if I may say so.
    Nothing wrong with treating yourself to a birthday gift. However, I don't think it unreasonable to suggest delaying it, if one is truly concerned with the passage of legislation one thinks is egregiously bad.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

If someone in the Uk had suggested building a 7 mile long artificial island to house a futuristic airport they would have been sneered at from the front page of the Mail and Guardian.

But the Chinese just shrugged and built that in Hong Kong.

Man up and build !
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Dry sarcasm. Well done.
    I’m being being serious - if private money wants to build a bridge then let them go for it - I’d even give them a tax break.
    A nice stone hump back bridge between Plymouth and St malo.
  • Options

You abhor all forms of racism including anti-Semitism, but not to the extent that you let it influence your vote.
    Or indeed explicitly criticise a particularly revolting example of it.

“There comes a time when silence is a form of betrayal.” Martin Luther King.

Too many people in Labour have betrayed their anti-racist principles by their silence about and/or refusal/unwillingness to take effective action against the anti-Semites in their party.

It’s always isolated examples and a few bad apples. At what point will it dawn on the party that it’s something more than that?

What makes it so nauseating is how bloody self-righteous Labour are about their own self-proclaimed goodness by comparison with everyone else. Merely pointing out a few facts about Ms Pidcock and expressing an opinion is now deemed to be “hate” rather than amused contempt at the human frailties of latest version of the Soon-To-Be-Annointed-One.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    So Laura Pidcock is the Corbynites heir apparent and Gavin Williamson the Mayites heir apparent. What leadership we have to look forward to!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

If someone in the Uk had suggested building a 7 mile long artificial island to house a futuristic airport they would have been sneered at from the front page of the Mail and Guardian.

Man up and build !
    Having worked in an area tangential to planning development for many years now, I must say that seeing all the obstacles really turns one into a development hawk after awhile. Not to say we do want a giant free for all, but seeing how hard and how long people object to even the most minor of things, it really starts to reduce the impact of people's complaints on the big things!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

IIRC the Denmark to Sweden tunnel is actually a big pipe which was sunk down onto the sea bed - no tunnelling required.

Brunel would have ate up the channel for tea with today’s technology. Unfortunately your average graduate these days is studying trans right so prefers tearing down statues and checking privilege than forging the future.

Some years ago I drove across the 16km Oresund Bridge between Denmark and Sweden and it was amazing
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Dry sarcasm. Well done.
    But do they want to?
  • Options

I’ve been involved in nearly all of the prosecutions mentioned in that story.

I’m not shocked.

Quite delighted, in fact. More work for my new business! :)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Man up and build !

Didn’t we build HK airport? I landed there on my first visit a year after the handover.

Boris and infrastructure do not mix: the cable car, the garden bridge, the West Ham Olympic stadium fiasco ...

• Options
    TGOHF said:

The Conwy river tunnel was laid on the bed of the Conwy in prefabricated sections
  • Options
    Dustin Lance-Black on Question Time, absent Tom Daley
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited January 2018
    Was 1975 the last time conservative party members voted for a female leader ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So Laura Pidcock is the Corbynites heir apparent and Gavin Williamson the Mayites heir apparent. What leadership we have to look forward to!

The difference is that the Corbynites (or at least Jon Lansman) will choose the next Labour leader, whereas the Mayites (all two of them) will have zero influence on the next Conservative contest.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I’ve been involved in nearly all of the prosecutions mentioned in that story.

I’m not shocked.

Quite delighted, in fact. More work for my new business! :)
    I'm also shocked to discover there was gambling taking place in Rick's Cafe in Casablanca.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

Name them.

Your posting history is there for all to see.

You support every Tory policy no matter how shitty. No matter how many disabled people have committed suicide how many nurses are forced to use foodbanks No matter how many patients are lying or dying in hospital corridors its always someone else to blame.

You are an abhorent apologist.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Some years ago I drove across the 16km Oresund Bridge between Denmark and Sweden and it was amazing

Here the link - a short section is a sunken pipe to allow shipping to pass.

https://www.boredpanda.com/tunnel-bridge-oresund-link-artificial-island-sweden-denmark/

Costs £30 one way to take a car over. Can imagine the toll for a channel bridge might be north of £60 ?
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Dry sarcasm. Well done.
    But do they want to?
    Carillion would have probably won the contract.........
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

We've never voted for a female leader.

Back in 1975, as in 2016, it was down to the MPs.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

I think you are using trivial examples of things you think make Pidcock a hypocrite. I think the examples you give are pathetic TBH.

Then you bring in serious allegations of Anti Semitic comments which i agree with you are abhorent but have nothing at all to do with Laura Pidcock

I stand by my comment that you have gone all Guido and are better than that but think i will leave it at that for tonight
    They are the main things mentioned in a story written by her local newspaper about her. That’s where I got them from. You may think them trivial. The newspaper didn’t. Perhaps they are her only achievements.

I am glad that you agree that those comments are abhorrent. I did not link them to Ms Pidcock. I was moving the conversation on, not least because I am fed up with Labour criticising everyone else for their perceived faults but ignoring its own.

Good night.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2018

TGOHF said:

In a former life, as a young whipper-snapper I worked on that project.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The difference is that the Corbynites (or at least Jon Lansman) will choose the next Labour leader, whereas the Mayites (all two of them) will have zero influence on the next Conservative contest.
    Depends if he gets enough MP support to get to the final two, he is certainly playing to the Tory membership gallery in opposing defence cuts
  • Options
    Surely the water is too deep at the Straits of Dover for a bridge? The waters round Denmark are shallow.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I seemed to remember our resident Northern Irish pizza shop owner claiming this ages ago....this is byline tw@tterer this, so caveat emptor.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

IIRC a cross-Channel bridge was seriously considered before a tunnel was chosen as the preferred option.

I've no idea which would be more cost-effective if we were to create a new link in the future. Tunnelling technology has advanced considerably, I believe.

It is hard to see how you would build a bridge across the Channel, one of the busiest stretches of water for shipping on the planet. Presumably there would be a need for a series of artificial islands. Even then, there are going to be very wide spans - and they are going to be regularly closed for strong winds. You'd think a tunnel would win out every time. And we know it is do-able!
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

For Thatcher yes but they would have voted for a female leader in 2016 as there were only two candidates both of whom were female
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Not really

Theresa May (call an election)

Theresa May not win a majority
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

WTF do you do for a whole week somewhere as small, smug, boring, self-regarding and over-hyped as Venice?

I visited churches, went to islands, shopped, ate at restaurants, stopped in cafes, walked for hours getting lost in the districts. Almost was stabbed by a man with a stiletto as a I stumbled on a picturesque street brawl in a back lane that could have come from a Caravaggio painting. And saw loads of art. Tintoretto was the big discovery for me. The humane and moving painter.

Wasn’t it John Julius Norwich who said his father had advised him that when he was in Venice he should walk around all day and only go inside two buildings: St. Marks and Harry’s Bar.

That said, the Scuolo di San Rocco must be one of the most extraordinary buildings on the planet.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Depends if he gets enough MP support to get to the final two, he is certainly playing to the Tory membership gallery in opposing defence cuts
    He has zero support in the party at large, and negative support amongst MPs. Even that might not be totally insuperable if he were a Cameron-style natural who could in time convince people that he was the one to make the party win big again, but he's not; he's dull as ditchwater. I'm sure he's talented and diligent in a junior role involving a good grip of detail, but he's not leadership material. Plus he may have the severe disadvantage of being supported by TM, which will be a toxic recommendation.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Surely the water is too deep at the Straits of Dover for a bridge? The waters round Denmark are shallow.

Bridge / tunnel - bit of both - as long as our autonomous cars can take us down to the holiday home whilst we nap it will be fantastic.

Oh and good security to keep the illegal immigrants out.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Can't wait for Boris Bridge to be built.
  • Options

It is hard to see how you would build a bridge across the Channel, one of the busiest stretches of water for shipping on the planet. Presumably there would be a need for a series of artificial islands. Even then, there are going to be very wide spans - and they are going to be regularly closed for strong winds. You'd think a tunnel would win out every time. And we know it is do-able!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6517611.stm
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

You will be waiting a long time...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He has zero support in the party at large, and negative support amongst MPs. Even that might not be totally insuperable if he were a Cameron-style natural who could in time convince people that he was the one to make the party win big again, but he's not; he's dull as ditchwater. I'm sure he's talented and diligent in a junior role involving a good grip of detail, but he's not leadership material. Plus he may have the severe disadvantage of being supported by TM, which will be a toxic recommendation.
    We will see but as one of the few fresh faces in the Cabinet he and Hinds are likely to be the leading candidates for a 'new generation' leader to challenge the big beasts of Boris, Davis, Gove and Mogg
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

Name them.

You support every Tory policy no matter how shitty. No matter how many disabled people have committed suicide how many nurses are forced to use foodbanks No matter how many patients are lying or dying in hospital corridors its always someone else to blame.

My father died as a result of a strike by junior doctors during a Labour government. He was turned away from a hospital. His operation was cancelled. And by the time it was done it was too late. 39 years ago this week as it happens.

Are you an apologist for that?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Here the link - a short section is a sunken pipe to allow shipping to pass.

https://www.boredpanda.com/tunnel-bridge-oresund-link-artificial-island-sweden-denmark/

Costs £30 one way to take a car over. Can imagine the toll for a channel bridge might be north of £60 ?
    I cannot recall the toll but I drove on to Malmo and then crossed back by ferry from Gothenburg to Frederikshavn
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Not really

Theresa May (call an election)

Theresa May not win a majority
    One is a month or a verb.

The other is a amalgamation of urination and a phallus.

Perhaps she could get married to someone without a Finbar Saunders gag surname ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Wasn’t it John Julius Norwich who said his father had advised him that when he was in Venice he should walk around all day and only go inside two buildings: St. Marks and Harry’s Bar.

That said, the Scuolo di San Rocco must be one of the most extraordinary buildings on the planet.

If the prospect of a week in Venice is boring to you, it’s you who has the problem. Was there for four days in December. Spent most of the time wandering or on the water buses. It was extraordinary and magnificent and quiet and a million miles from anywhere in the centre of the world. Five minutes from St Marks and it’s just you and the lapping of the canals with the reflections of the buildings dancing on the water.

• Options

TGOHF said:

How interesting - great engineering project
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

For Thatcher yes but they would have voted for a female leader in 2016 as there were only two candidates both of whom were female
    True , maybe Labour will do the same next time .
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It is entirely possible Boris will have the last laugh but unlikely to be completed in my lifetime
  • Options
    edited January 2018

TGOHF said:

If it falls down...You ain't seen me...right.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

If the prospect of a week in Venice is boring to you, it’s you who has the problem. Was there for four days in December. Spent most of the time wandering or on the water buses. It was extraordinary and magnificent and quiet and a million miles from anywhere in the centre of the world. Five minutes from St Marks and it’s just you and the lapping of the canals with the reflections of the buildings dancing on the water.

If you didn’t go to see the Tintorettos then you wasted your trip.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    There have been comments on here, on Guido's blog and elsewhere about Jared O'Mara having not spoken in the House since his election; but perhaps that's what his constituents want.Sir Harry Legge-Bourke was MP for the Isle of Ely from 1945-1973 and never made a speech. His constituents loved him; it was just what the taciturn fenland folk wanted of an MP. When he died they kicked out the Conservatives, as the candidate had promised to speak.

O'Mara got rid of Clegg, so he can't be all bad
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

Name them.

My father died as a result of a strike by junior doctors during a Labour government. He was turned away from a hospital. His operation was cancelled. And by the time it was done it was too late. 39 years ago this week as it happens.

That is so sad and does underline that the NHS has always had failings under all governments

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    TGOHF said:
    This is very strange. The LDs smash this ward but can't win any other in Rochford. Why?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited January 2018
    Isn't it VERY likely that MI5 and MI6 would've had Farage under surveillance for years?

I doubt he could've farted in 2016 without the government knowing about it TBH...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Yep - I’d say those are fantastic odds. She ticks every box from a Corbynista perspective and is a lot less wooden than Rebecca Long Bailey.

Angela Rayner is a better bet than either Pidock or Long Bailey.

I wouldn't rule out Jess Phillips or Stella Creasy either. Neither is Corbynista, but the Labour Selectorate have never been ones to do as they are told.
    They’ve certainly never been ones to vote for a woman.
    They never elected anyone as left wing as Jezza either. There is always a first time.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I very much doubt you have a worry on that score
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That Laura Pidcock?

You miss the point.

Name them.

Cyclefree .Can you do a thread on all your accusations of antisemitism ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

If you didn’t go to see the Tintorettos then you wasted your trip.

I’ll be the judge of that! It will not be my last time there.

• Options
    franklyn said:

There have been comments on here, on Guido's blog and elsewhere about Jared O'Mara having not spoken in the House since his election; but perhaps that's what his constituents want.Sir Harry Legge-Bourke was MP for the Isle of Ely from 1945-1973 and never made a speech. His constituents loved him; it was just what the taciturn fenland folk wanted of an MP. When he died they kicked out the Conservatives, as the candidate had promised to speak.

O'Mara got rid of Clegg, so he can't be all bad

As it was Clement Freud who won in 1973 I doubt the voters were averse to someone willing to speak publicly on any subject available.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Just catching up with today's French news.

Of course we should build a bridge to France. Boris Johnson has gone up in my estimations.

Let's couple it with freedom of movement over the bridge so there is no border other than symbolic flags at the 11-mile mark.

• Options

AndyJS said:

Defeatist attitude!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Anazina said:

Of course we should build a bridge to France. Boris Johnson has gone up in my estimations.

Let's couple it with freedom of movement over the bridge so there is no border other than symbolic flags at the 11-mile mark.

We have freedom of movement now and there's still a border ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2018

TGOHF said:

I very much doubt you have a worry on that score
    In all seriousness, I remember going to see it in person shortly after completion and it was an absolutely fantastic experience.
  • Options

My dad was a big fan of the Channel Tunnel project and favoured a bridge at the time. It would have been a – erm – bridge too far then. Not now. Build it.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Defeatist attitude!
    Perhaps a politician could copy Trump and run a campaign on claiming to build the bridge and France is going to pay for it :-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anazina said:

We have freedom of movement now and there's still a border ;)
    There shouldn't be. A bridge with no borders. Build it and join Schengen. Flags and free bordeaux and brie at the 11-mile mark for those that want to stop and enjoy the view.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    edited January 2018
    @Cyclefree

This month more than ten times the numbers of operations have been cancelled than in the entirety of the junior doctors strike. No elective GA surgery is now being undertaken in my hospital apart from cancers or similar.

Not much PB Tory outrage about that.
  • Options

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Defeatist attitude!
    Perhaps a politician could copy Trump and run a campaign on claiming to build the bridge and France is going to pay for it :-)
    :)
This discussion has been closed.