Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Laura Pidcock – the 33/1 newbie MP who is being tipped as Corb

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    franklyn said:

There have been comments on here, on Guido's blog and elsewhere about Jared O'Mara having not spoken in the House since his election; but perhaps that's what his constituents want.

It was suggested he was hardly active in other matters to make up for not being active in the House directly, but even if he has done very little else of course it is possible all his constituents want is someone with the right rosette. Guido naturally would love the cache of bringing down an MP, and plenty others might think he is not doing enough and it would be nice if he went, but I would say almost all accept that ultimately he can sit there and do nothing for five years and see if the locals care at that point. Or the local party might deselect him of course.

Certainly I see nothing unreasonable in people commenting on whether his apparent lack of activity even when well is not what they would expect of their MP, even if the people of Sheffield Hallam may or may not agree.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    "My father died as a result of a strike by junior doctors during a Labour government. He was turned away from a hospital. His operation was cancelled. And by the time it was done it was too late. 39 years ago this week as it happens."

I was one of the junior doctors who didn't go on strike (none of us did) in 1975 but who refused to work more than 60 hours a week. In those days people died because they were being looked after by doctors who were working such brutal hours that they couldn't think straight. At that time I was working a one in two rota, which meant that we worked a full week (with a 7.30 start and 6.30 finish) plus alternate nights and at weekends carried on working so that when you came on duty on Friday morning you didn't get off work till the Monday evening. You didn't leave the hospital during that time, cat-napped when you could, and couldn't even go for a crap without taking the cardiac arrest bleep into the loo with you.

Then the other half of my job broke her arm , so I worked continuously without leaving the hospital for twelve days until I became incoherent with sleep deprivation.

After our industrial action, our hours were reduced to a maximum of 80 hours a week, which enormously increased patient safety and saved countless lives. And for the first time we were paid for the hours after 40, at the princely rate of 30% of our basic rate (not basic plus 30%, just 30%).

So anyone who wants to discuss doctors hours and cast aspersions can get their facts right. I am sorry that your father died, but it wasn't because doctors went on strike; we never did in 1975
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    More propaganda from pb.com's most boring neobrexiteer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    Anazina said:

IIRC a cross-Channel bridge was seriously considered before a tunnel was chosen as the preferred option.

I've no idea which would be more cost-effective if we were to create a new link in the future. Tunnelling technology has advanced considerably, I believe.

My dad was a big fan of the Channel Tunnel project and favoured a bridge at the time. It would have been a – erm – bridge too far then. Not now. Build it.
    There may be a few engineering dificulties building a bridge across one of the worlds busiest seaways, over quite a deep channel.

Might be a bit windy on the crossing at times too.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You are better than that.
    But are you better than being an apologist for anti-semites? No evidence of it yet....
    I abhor all forms of Racism including Anti Semitism

You are definitely an apologist for lots of shitty things though.

Name them.

Or STFU - crawl back to your anti-semitic party and prepare for power.
    Your posting history is there for all to see.

You support every Tory policy no matter how shitty. No matter how many disabled people have committed suicide how many nurses are forced to use foodbanks No matter how many patients are lying or dying in hospital corridors its always someone else to blame.

You are an abhorent apologist.
    My father died as a result of a strike by junior doctors during a Labour government. He was turned away from a hospital. His operation was cancelled. And by the time it was done it was too late. 39 years ago this week as it happens.

Are you an apologist for that?
    That is so sad and does underline that the NHS has always had failings under all governments

And yet to hear some of the Labour apologists on here you’d think selfishness was invented by Thatcher in May 1979 and that only Labour can save the NHS. Those junior doctors were being selfish and unprofessional. Having a Labour government run the NHS did my father no bloody good at all. My mother was a widow for longer than she was married because of Labour’s NHS. I lost my father three weeks before my 21st birthday. He never saw me or my brother graduate. He never saw us grow up. He never saw his grand-children. His early death was avoidable. His death - and its consequences for all the family - is the single most important event in shaping our lives. It fucks you up, as Larkin once wrote.

I really loathe those politicians who try and appropriate the health service for their party political viewpoint when the truth is that no party has a monopoly on wisdom about how it should be run or competence in doing so. And neither of them are particularly effective at delivering a strong sustainable economy to pay for it all.

The next Labour apologist lecturing me about Labour’s saintliness and the Tories’ wickedness is going to get it with both barrels, the way I feel tonight.
  • Options

That was a classic, and SeanT's response was one of the best posts ever on PB.

You can still find it here (comment number 18).

https://web.archive.org/web/20101008042534/http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2008/09/12/could-kitty-be-labours-sarah-palin/
    Comment 8 by jsfl was quite prophetic:

' I think that politics is changing and we are shifting into a centralist vs localist period of politics in the widest sense. So just as people are hacked off with centralist Quangoes and obese inefficient Government departments they are also becoming increasingly hacked off with large obese centralised inefficient profiteering commercial enterprises (who would wring the last penny they can out of the individual) before improving their services. In some ways these large businesses are becoming what the Trade Unions were in the 1970’s.

As such I think it is going to be a risky time for all political parties because on one side the electorate will increasingly expect them to rein in large organisations of any sort but on the other these large organisations have the greatest concentration of power and as such have the best opportunity to directly undermine politicians. '

I wonder what happened to jsfl, he had interesting thoughts as I remember.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

franklyn said:

There have been comments on here, on Guido's blog and elsewhere about Jared O'Mara having not spoken in the House since his election; but perhaps that's what his constituents want.

It was suggested he was hardly active in other matters to make up for not being active in the House directly, but even if he has done very little else of course it is possible all his constituents want is someone with the right rosette. Guido naturally would love the cache of bringing down an MP, and plenty others might think he is not doing enough and it would be nice if he went, but I would say almost all accept that ultimately he can sit there and do nothing for five years and see if the locals care at that point. Or the local party might deselect him of course.

Certainly I see nothing unreasonable in people commenting on whether his apparent lack of activity even when well is not what they would expect of their MP, even if the people of Sheffield Hallam may or may not agree.
    I do wonder whether he is well, he has gone to ground for a very long time.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You are better than that.
    But are you better than being an apologist for anti-semites? No evidence of it yet....
    I abhor all forms of Racism including Anti Semitism

You are definitely an apologist for lots of shitty things though.

Name them.

Or STFU - crawl back to your anti-semitic party and prepare for power.

You support every Tory policy no matter how shitty. No matter how many disabled people have committed suicide how many nurses are forced to use foodbanks No matter how many patients are lying or dying in hospital corridors its always someone else to blame.

My father died as a result of a strike by junior doctors during a Labour government. He was turned away from a hospital. His operation was cancelled. And by the time it was done it was too late. 39 years ago this week as it happens.

Are you an apologist for that?
    That is so sad and does underline that the NHS has always had failings under all governments

And yet to hear some of the Labour apologists on here you’d think selfishness was invented by Thatcher in May 1979 and that only Labour can save the NHS. Those junior doctors were being selfish and unprofessional. Having a Labour government run the NHS did my father no bloody good at all. My mother was a widow for longer than she was married because of Labour’s NHS. I lost my father three weeks before my 21st birthday. He never saw me or my brother graduate. He never saw us grow up. He never saw his grand-children. His early death was avoidable. His death - and its consequences for all the family - is the single most important event in shaping our lives. It fucks you up, as Larkin once wrote.

I really loathe those politicians who try and appropriate the health service for their party political viewpoint when the truth is that no party has a monopoly on wisdom about how it should be run or competence in doing so. And neither of them are particularly effective at delivering a strong sustainable economy to pay for it all.

The next Labour apologist lecturing me about Labour’s saintliness and the Tories’ wickedness is going to get it with both barrels, the way I feel tonight.
    I feel your pain
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

IIRC a cross-Channel bridge was seriously considered before a tunnel was chosen as the preferred option.

I've no idea which would be more cost-effective if we were to create a new link in the future. Tunnelling technology has advanced considerably, I believe.

My dad was a big fan of the Channel Tunnel project and favoured a bridge at the time. It would have been a – erm – bridge too far then. Not now. Build it.
    There may be a few engineering dificulties building a bridge across one of the worlds busiest seaways, over quite a deep channel.

Might be a bit windy on the crossing at times too.
    Defeatist attitude!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Anazina said:

More propaganda from pb.com's most boring neobrexiteer.
    Name calling is really effective - keep it up!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

@Cyclefree

This month more than ten times the numbers of operations have been cancelled than in the entirety of the junior doctors strike. No elective GA surgery is now being undertaken in my hospital apart from cancers or similar.

Not much PB Tory outrage about that.

I am not a Tory.

I do feel appalled at that situation. See also my later post. IMO The single thing stopping a sensible settlement on health and social care is the way it has become - unlike in other European countries - a party political matter.

PS what does GA surgery mean?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    He also got blacklisted from a lot of work due to homophobia.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

franklyn said:

Well he was apparently off sick, though his record was spotty even before then, though if Guido is to be believed he's back now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

franklyn said:

He's back at work, he says:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mp-jared-o-mara-returning-to-work-with-immediate-effect-after-yorkshire-post-expose-1-8962351
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2018
    Rumours the Tories have gained a council seat from Labour in Bolton.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Michael Portillo accuses George Osbourne of spreading 'fake news' on This Week
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

@Cyclefree

This month more than ten times the numbers of operations have been cancelled than in the entirety of the junior doctors strike. No elective GA surgery is now being undertaken in my hospital apart from cancers or similar.

I am not a Tory.

I do feel appalled at that situation. See also my later post. IMO The single thing stopping a sensible settlement on health and social care is the way it has become - unlike in other European countries - a party political matter.

General Anaesthesia. My surgical colleagues are doing as much as possible Local Anaesthesia daycase surgery.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

@Cyclefree

I am not a Tory.

I think there is a growing appetite and demand for the NHS and Social care to be taken out of politics. I hope that when Hunt brings forward his Green paper he will accept Sarah Wollaston's request for cross party committee involvement. It does not matter if Corbyn refuses as it is known there are many on the labour benches who would get involved
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

@Cyclefree

I am not a Tory.

Most European countries use social insurance to pay for health and social care
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

@Cyclefree

I am not a Tory.

I think there is a growing appetite and demand for the NHS and Social care to be taken out of politics.
    I don't. At least not enough that will overwhelm the politics of it.
  • Options
    Conservatives gain Hulton (Bolton) from labour
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited January 2018
    Britain Elects‏ @britainelects · 1m1 minute ago
    Conservative GAIN Hulton (Bolton) from Labour
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I see Boris had a thumbs up selfie with Macron today, looks like he is seeking to heal the wounds of his leadership of the Leave campaign https://www.facebook.com/borisjohnson/photos/a.10153687903061317.1073741825.7972991316/10155349454821317/?type=3&theater
  • Options
    franklyn said:

"My father died as a result of a strike by junior doctors during a Labour government. He was turned away from a hospital. His operation was cancelled. And by the time it was done it was too late. 39 years ago this week as it happens."

I was one of the junior doctors who didn't go on strike (none of us did) in 1975 but who refused to work more than 60 hours a week. In those days people died because they were being looked after by doctors who were working such brutal hours that they couldn't think straight. At that time I was working a one in two rota, which meant that we worked a full week (with a 7.30 start and 6.30 finish) plus alternate nights and at weekends carried on working so that when you came on duty on Friday morning you didn't get off work till the Monday evening. You didn't leave the hospital during that time, cat-napped when you could, and couldn't even go for a crap without taking the cardiac arrest bleep into the loo with you.

Then the other half of my job broke her arm , so I worked continuously without leaving the hospital for twelve days until I became incoherent with sleep deprivation.

After our industrial action, our hours were reduced to a maximum of 80 hours a week, which enormously increased patient safety and saved countless lives. And for the first time we were paid for the hours after 40, at the princely rate of 30% of our basic rate (not basic plus 30%, just 30%).

So anyone who wants to discuss doctors hours and cast aspersions can get their facts right. I am sorry that your father died, but it wasn't because doctors went on strike; we never did in 1975

My father was a doctor. He never once took industrial action. He worked long hours too - and during the war as well. He would have considered it unprofessional to take industrial action.

He died because his operation was cancelled as a result of industrial action and, by the time, it was rescheduled the cancer had spread too far to be treatable.

There are lots of doctors in my family, both now and going back generations - to the mid 19th century. My issue is not with doctors - for whom I have a lot of time - but with politicians who seem to think that only one party is virtuous when it comes to the NHS. The simple point is that it was under an NHS run by Labour that we got this poor service.

And yet to hear Labour talk, you’d have thought that it was only under Tory governments that patients died unnecessarily and doctors had appalling working conditions.

I realise mine is only one story, an anecdote if you will. But it is my story.

Time for bed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

@Cyclefree

I am not a Tory.

I think there is a growing appetite and demand for the NHS and Social care to be taken out of politics.
    I don't. At least not enough that will overwhelm the politics of it.
    Depends on how Hunt deals with his green paper. Sarah Wollaston is chair of the health select committee
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,829

It's encouraging for the Tories, but two caveats. It's ultra-marginal, and Bolton's Labour group is in disarray.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,054
    HYUFD said:

I see Boris had a thumbs up selfie with Macron today, looks like he is seeking to heal the wounds of his leadership of the Leave campaign https://www.facebook.com/borisjohnson/photos/a.10153687903061317.1073741825.7972991316/10155349454821317/?type=3&theater

Boris apparently thinks only Gove is his intellectual equal in British politics. Meeting Macron must be humbling.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Boris apparently thinks only Gove is his intellectual equal in British politics. Meeting Macron must be humbling.
    Boris, like Macron, combines intellect and charisma. Gove has the intellect but not the charisma
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sean_F said:

It's encouraging for the Tories, but two caveats. It's ultra-marginal, and Bolton's Labour group is in disarray.
    Although it's in Bolton South East, Labour's safest seat in the town.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Every Labour Govt. fucks the economy. Every Labour Govt. has left office with employment lower than it inherited.

Ultimately, the economy suffers under Labour. And, every time, the consequence is the poorest in society suffer. Every time. The cumulative mass of misery from Labour Govts. on those it claims to exist to support is appalling.

And on top of that, we get your sanctimony about how wonderful Labour is. Whilst being blind to the worst public outings of anti-semitism in this country in my adult life.

• Options
    On the subject of young female party Leaders:

https://twitter.com/katieabradford/status/954110177707401216
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    edited January 2018
    On topic. I backed Pidcock on Sunday. I tried to get £100 on at 130/1 (price boost) with Ladbrokes/Shadsy. I was allowed £10 at 130/1.

In the Sunday Times she was highlighted as Corbyn's latest heir apparent. As Richard Nabavi points out, the next Labour leader appointment is likely to be in the gift of Corbyn.

I've watched Pidcock's maiden speech in the H of C. I thought she was quite impressive.

Pidcock appears to have the ambition and the opportunity to be next Labour leader - and maybe the ability.

I'm happy with my bet.
  • Options
    "Zimbabwe opposition figure Roy Bennett dies in US helicopter crash"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42740567
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    She's only 30, so I think she's going to need Corbyn to make it to the 2022 election at the very least.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

Every Labour Govt. fucks the economy. Every Labour Govt. has left office with employment lower than it inherited.

Ultimately, the economy suffers under Labour. And, every time, the consequence is the poorest in society suffer. Every time. The cumulative mass of misery from Labour Govts. on those it claims to exist to support is appalling.

And on top of that, we get your sanctimony about how wonderful Labour is. Whilst being blind to the worst public outings of anti-semitism in this country in my adult life.

You are wrong the Tories are much better at heaping misery on the vulnerable and you are an apologist for awful policies of this Government
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Details of the Tory gain in Bolton, Hulton:

Con: 1,455 (49.4%)
    Lab: 1,179 (40.1%)
    UKIP: 190 (6.5%)
    LD: 67 (2.3%)
    Green: 52 (1.8%)

Changes since 2016:

Con +16.7%
    Lab +3.1%
    UKIP -18.0%
    LD -0.2%
    Green -1.5%
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited January 2018
    Britain Elects‏ @britainelects · 3m3 minutes ago

Hulton (Bolton) result:

CON: 49.4% (+16.7)
    LAB: 40.1% (+3.0)
    UKIP: 6.5% (-18.0)
    LDEM: 2.3% (-0.2)
    GRN: 1.8% (-1.5)
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

She's only 30, so I think she's going to need Corbyn to make it to the 2022 election at the very least.

TP. But if Corbyn doesn't fancy leading Labour into the next election, he will only step aside if there is an "anointed one" to carry the flame. The ST suggests Pidcock is the latest chosen one.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Hulton (Bolton) result:

There was a small swing to the Tories in the Bolton constituencies at the last election so this is obviously an area where Corbyn's Labour Party aren't as popular as most other places in the north-west like Bury, Rochdale, Manchester, etc.
  • Options

You are wrong the Tories are much better at heaping misery on the vulnerable and you are an apologist for awful policies of this Government
    Households have more disposable income than at any time previously. However, compared with their pre-downturn levels the incomes of the poorest households have risen nearly two thousand pounds but the incomes of the richest are only now slightly higher. Overall, income inequality has slowly fallen over the last decade."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyearending2017
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Households have more disposable income than at any time previously. However, compared with their pre-downturn levels the incomes of the poorest households have risen nearly two thousand pounds but the incomes of the richest are only now slightly higher. Overall, income inequality has slowly fallen over the last decade."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyearending2017
    You and your facts...
  • Options
    RobD said:

You and your facts...
    They're not my facts, they belong to the Office for National Statistics......, a direct quote from Head of Well-being and Inequalities Glenn Everett......
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    He suis un robot???
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Foxy said:

On the subject of young female party Leaders:

https://twitter.com/katieabradford/status/954110177707401216

Go Kiwi, go!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Just put £10 on Kemi Badenoch to be next Tory leader at odds of 177 to 1.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/18/young-people-puritanical-on-sexual-harassment-tory-mp
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Good news for Tory Vice Chairs with a history of embarrassing youthful indiscretions...
    They were still officially adolescents:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42732442

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2018
    Apparently taking a selfie with "extremist"* MPs gets a snowflake triggered enough to call for you to be removed from your SU position...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5374450/student-union-chief-for-posing-with-tory-mp-rees-mogg/

* by extremists we don't mean the IRA supporting MPs.
  • Options

Apparently taking a selfie with "extremist"* MPs gets a snowflake triggered enough to call for you to be removed from your SU position...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5374450/student-union-chief-for-posing-with-tory-mp-rees-mogg/

* by extremists we don't mean the IRA supporting MPs.

Petition has only had 13 signatures, so the SU leader seems safe...
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

If the Labour party was actually anti-semitic, how come one of the three new members of the NEC elected in the past week is Jewish?
  • Options
    daodao said:

If the Labour party was actually anti-semitic, how come one of the three new members of the NEC elected in the past week is Jewish?
    There certainly are some nasty examples on twitter of anti-semitism by left wing activists.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    edited January 2018
    AndyJS said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/18/young-people-puritanical-on-sexual-harassment-tory-mp

Definitely one to watch, but maybe for leader after next - unless Mrs May hangs on for a decade.

But 177/1 is a good price.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited January 2018
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Hulton (Bolton) result:

There was a small swing to the Tories in the Bolton constituencies at the last election so this is obviously an area where Corbyn's Labour Party aren't as popular as most other places in the north-west like Bury, Rochdale, Manchester, etc.
    Bolton News has been to court re Councillors and council tax late or non payments, a judge ruled that it was in the public interest to disclose information about councillors being in arrears for more than 2 months.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/14373965.REVEALED__Labour_councillor_finally_admits_not_paying_council_tax_after_three_year_battle_to_name_him/

The Council leader stepped down about a month ago, it may be not be directly related.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2017-11-08/bolton-council-leader-to-step-down-after-decade-in-charge/

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    England struggling to get going here.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

They are just making sure Morgan and Buttler have something of substance to do later on.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Keep saying that, and hopefully they’ll keep getting boundaries!
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Foxy said:

daodao said:

There certainly are some nasty examples on twitter of anti-semitism by left wing activists.
    Cyclefree makes accusations of antisemitism by the Labour Party on a regular basis.I do not know how correct she is or what information she is using to conclude the official party is implicated.
  • Options

DavidL said:

They are just making sure Morgan and Buttler have something of substance to do later on.
    They should win this. It was a superb bowling performance, especially in the second half of the innings. But you are used to them coming out like a shell out of a cannon in the first power play these days.
  • Options

That was a classic, and SeanT's response was one of the best posts ever on PB.

You can still find it here (comment number 18).

https://web.archive.org/web/20101008042534/http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2008/09/12/could-kitty-be-labours-sarah-palin/
    Comment 8 by jsfl was quite prophetic:

' I think that politics is changing and we are shifting into a centralist vs localist period of politics in the widest sense. So just as people are hacked off with centralist Quangoes and obese inefficient Government departments they are also becoming increasingly hacked off with large obese centralised inefficient profiteering commercial enterprises (who would wring the last penny they can out of the individual) before improving their services. In some ways these large businesses are becoming what the Trade Unions were in the 1970’s.

As such I think it is going to be a risky time for all political parties because on one side the electorate will increasingly expect them to rein in large organisations of any sort but on the other these large organisations have the greatest concentration of power and as such have the best opportunity to directly undermine politicians. '

I wonder what happened to jsfl, he had interesting thoughts as I remember.
    Who knew - no.47 on the Kitty thread....

There was a similar reaction on the site on May 26th 2005 when I suggested that one Barack Obama might be a good bet for the Presidency. His price was 50-1.

by Mike Smithson September 12th, 2008 at 15:06
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Timetable for German negotiations:

Sunday 16.00 - SPD conference decides yes or no to agreement in principle
    If yes:
    Sunday 19.00: CDU and SPD meet internally to finalise positions for final negotiations
    Monday: final negotiations start
    Date tbc: once negotiations conclude, SPD consults all members in postal ballot
    The objective is a government by Easter.

Another poll confirms that the SPD is losing a couple of per cent of voters due (presumably) to considering the coalition - the extremes (Linke and AfD) are both gaining slightly.

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

It's possible that a successful agreement will reverse that, or that the usual difficulties in any government will benefit the non-participants. My instinct FWIW is that the SPD will now take the plunge, and that it will in the medium term mainly benefit Green and Linke.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Definitely one to watch, but maybe for leader after next - unless Mrs May hangs on for a decade.

yeah but there are another 299 or so other Tory MPs also in with a shout......
  • Options
    By the way, fellow-Scandinoir fans shouldn't miss catching up on "Before We Die" - only seen the first two so far, but it's up there with The Killing and The Bridge for suspense and human interest.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/before-we-die/on-demand/67600-001
  • Options

Timetable for German negotiations:

Sunday 16.00 - SPD conference decides yes or no to agreement in principle
    If yes:
    Sunday 19.00: CDU and SPD meet internally to finalise positions for final negotiations
    Monday: final negotiations start
    Date tbc: once negotiations conclude, SPD consults all members in postal ballot
    The objective is a government by Easter.

Another poll confirms that the SPD is losing a couple of per cent of voters due (presumably) to considering the coalition - the extremes (Linke and AfD) are both gaining slightly.

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

It's possible that a successful agreement will reverse that, or that the usual difficulties in any government will benefit the non-participants. My instinct FWIW is that the SPD will now take the plunge, and that it will in the medium term mainly benefit Green and Linke.

The SPD seem to be between a rock and a hard place here. The reluctance to consider minority administrations in Germany combined with the exclusion of the extreme parties gives few options. They really need to dig in and get some policy wins they can point to for their supporters.
  • Options
    Alison Saunders getting some serious criticism for 'complacency' this morning:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prosecutions-chief-part-of-the-problem-say-mp-and-judge-89zx6nwrn

The number of cases where prosecutions are dropped after exculpatory evidence surfaces at the last moment is becoming seriously disturbing. Even if the DPP's assertion that no one has been unjustly imprisoned is true (and given the number of these cases, that seems optimistic), innocent defendants are spending two years of their lives under investigation, and incurring very large and irrecoverable legal fees.

That is not the system "working as it should".
  • Options

By the way, fellow-Scandinoir fans shouldn't miss catching up on "Before We Die" - only seen the first two so far, but it's up there with The Killing and The Bridge for suspense and human interest.

Scandinoir is so yesterday; Korean noir is where it's at now.
    :smile:
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

yeah but there are another 299 or so other Tory MPs also in with a shout......
    Most of whom are old duffers marking time on the back benches with little interest in serving as ministers. Kemi is worth a pint or two at 177.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Not one for me, I'm afraid, though I do see the reasoning. It might also fit the pattern of, since Blair, Labour always managing to find a worst leader than the last one.

Mr. B, I agree entirely on Saunders.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

daodao said:

Cyclefree makes accusations of antisemitism by the Labour Party on a regular basis.I do not know how correct she is or what information she is using to conclude the official party is implicated.
    In their resistance to punishing anti-semites the leadership and disciplinary mechanisms appear to tolerate it (or, at least, regard it as a trivial offence)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well that’s me pigeon holed! Never heard of Korean-noir! Thanks for the tip Mr Palmer!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    These guys have got no soul. Back in the 70s Michael Moorcock wrote an excellent series of books in which Britain and France were linked by a huge silver bridge. Completely impractical of course but we should be allowed to dream for a while.
  • Options

Cheery title!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

These guys have got no soul. Back in the 70s Michael Moorcock wrote an excellent series of books in which Britain and France were linked by a huge silver bridge. Completely impractical of course but we should be allowed to dream for a while.

https://twitter.com/mattchorley/status/954266962200289280
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Well that’s me pigeon holed! Never heard of Korean-noir! Thanks for the tip Mr Palmer!
    If you have Netflix, try 'Stranger'.
    Korean tropes take a little getting used to... but excellent.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Of course, some far-sighted individuals might already have an array of south coast trebuchets, perfect for launching people into France.

Bridges? Pah!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Nigelb said:

Alison Saunders getting some serious criticism for 'complacency' this morning:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prosecutions-chief-part-of-the-problem-say-mp-and-judge-89zx6nwrn

The number of cases where prosecutions are dropped after exculpatory evidence surfaces at the last moment is becoming seriously disturbing. Even if the DPP's assertion that no one has been unjustly imprisoned is true (and given the number of these cases, that seems optimistic), innocent defendants are spending two years of their lives under investigation, and incurring very large and irrecoverable legal fees.

That is not the system "working as it should".

There’s been a number of cases where trials have been abandoned at the last minute due to “new” evidence that was available and should have been considered at the time. These cases, mainly of aqaintance rape, also raise questions of anonymity for the accused.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    There’s very good reasons we went with the tunnel last time, namely that the Channel is the world’s busiest shipping lane, and that it’s an area prone to storm force winds.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

They should win this. It was a superb bowling performance, especially in the second half of the innings. But you are used to them coming out like a shell out of a cannon in the first power play these days.
    78 from the first dozen overs, well on target now for England.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Yorkcity said:

I hink she's simply mistaken, based on media reports of a handful of serious cases. There is a more subtle issue. Many in the party are instinctively pro-Palestinian because Palestinians are demonstrably in difficult conditions in Third World living conditions and historically the West has been generally unhelpful and successive Israeli governments have been pretty right-wing. For most, this is moderated rather than accentuated by the anxiety not to be anti-semitic, so you routinely get comments about not being anti-semitic but favouring a boycott of Israel, which are then attacked as anti-semitic. Yes, I know that Palestinians have repeatedly had leaders close to terrorism, and that's a problem too and a more reasonable line of attack on sympathisers.

In addition, with 550K+ members, you will always have a few who really are anti-semitic, so there will be a steady trickle of expulsion cases working their way through the party. There is also at least one case (Livingstone) of someone who most of us have liked and respected who seems to have careened off into open provocations, and we're reluctant to either tolerate it or throw him out.

But it's simply wrong to suggest that the Labour Party in general or the leadership are antisemitic - I doubt if the issue even arises (I've never heard any MP or local party debate Jewishness), as it seems as irrelevant as debating whethere we should dislike short people or people who like pineapple on pizza. I'm a former executive member of Labour Friends of Israel and nobody ever hassled me about it, though one constituent was annoyed.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Not one for me, I'm afraid, though I do see the reasoning. It might also fit the pattern of, since Blair, Labour always managing to find a worst leader than the last one.

Mr. B, I agree entirely on Saunders.

Mind you the Tory pattern after Thatcher, Major, Hague, IDS was not that different to the Labour pattern after Blair of Brown, Ed Miliband, Corbyn.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

Yes, I know that Palestinians have repeatedly had leaders close to terrorism, and that's a problem too and a more reasonable line of attack on sympathisers.

Just "close", mind you. Not your actual terrorists but "close".
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited January 2018
    Interesting to read tim';s tweets about Mason being a Trot.. yet of course he was slagging off the PB Tories for saying as much when Mason was at Newsnight.

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/with_replies
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

As it was Clement Freud who won in 1973 I doubt the voters were averse to someone willing to speak publicly on any subject available.

Apparently voters in Ely were promised that Clement Freud would only speak on any subject for just a minute ....

• Options
    A Year in Provence author, Peter Mayle, has died

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42741704
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    There’s very good reasons we went with the tunnel last time, namely that the Channel is the world’s busiest shipping lane, and that it’s an area prone to storm force winds.
    The channel can be a bit blowy but it's not exactly the Drake Passage. I think that, technologically, it could be done (Varne Bank is conveniently located in the middle for a start at only 3m depth) if the money and will existed. Which of course they don't.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

daodao said:

Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    The channel can be a bit blowy but it's not exactly the Drake Passage. I think that, technologically, it could be done (Varne Bank is conveniently located in the middle for a start at only 3m depth) if the money and will existed. Which of course they don't.
    From an engineering point of view it’s possible, see the new Severn Bridge as an example of one that almost never closes for winds. More difficult is avoiding accidents with shipping in the regular wind and fog. The bridge would need to be high off the deck, similar to the QEII Bridge at Dartford, and probably have three or more large spans to allow the huge amount of water-based traffic through.

Possible, but very difficult, and probably a road tunnel is the better bet for a second crossing. Not as symbolic for Boris though.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    And even if they did, there would be any number of projects which might be better investments, albeit not pandering to the vanity of here today, gone tomorrow politicians...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I am not a big fan, have been to one test match in my life (many years ago), and otherwise have a passing interest in the game.

But what you are all describing this morning sounds nothing whatsoever like cricket.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Young Richardson looks a decent quick, though.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

daodao said:

Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Ken Livingstone
    Expelling Ken permenantly will certainly send the right signals.

I have some sympathy with Dr Palmer’s position outlined above, but the party need to be clear that such views are not compatible with party membership and are taken seriously by the leadership.

It’s clear from their inaction that the leadership don’t see these views as a serious issue, holding a whitewash enquiry by the only person Corbyn has ever sent to the Lords didn’t help either.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I am not a big fan, have been to one test match in my life (many years ago), and otherwise have a passing interest in the game.

But what you are all describing this morning sounds nothing whatsoever like cricket.
    It’s an attempt to play a match in only one day, the teams have only one innings and are forced to declare after 50 overs. They also wear coloured pyjamas and any bowling down leg side gets called as a wide.

They also sometimes play a half-day game, with only 20 overs per side. You really wouldn’t like that one, not cricket at all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A Year in Provence author, Peter Mayle, has died

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42741704

Jarvis Cocker should do the eulogy,

My favorite parks are car parks
    Grass is something you smoke
    Birds are something you shag
    Take your "Year in Provence"
    And shove it up your arse
This discussion has been closed.