Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Laura Pidcock – the 33/1 newbie MP who is being tipped as Corb

124»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    These guys have got no soul. Back in the 70s Michael Moorcock wrote an excellent series of books in which Britain and France were linked by a huge silver bridge. Completely impractical of course but we should be allowed to dream for a while.
    There’s very good reasons we went with the tunnel last time, namely that the Channel is the world’s busiest shipping lane, and that it’s an area prone to storm force winds.
    The channel can be a bit blowy but it's not exactly the Drake Passage. I think that, technologically, it could be done (Varne Bank is conveniently located in the middle for a start at only 3m depth) if the money and will existed. Which of course they don't.
    The only time I've travelled the Drake Passage, it was a mill-pond.

When we got to Antarctica - not so much....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited January 2018
    Good morning all.

Italmost deserves naming a syndrome in its honour. If we lived 4,000 years ago, Borisamun would be proposing to build the world's largest pyramid.

It would help the country if he and Osbourne did a job swap. Boris could go back to writing jocular newspaper articles and Osbourne would make a fine Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,845
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

England struggling to get going here.

They are just making sure Morgan and Buttler have something of substance to do later on.
    They should win this. It was a superb bowling performance, especially in the second half of the innings. But you are used to them coming out like a shell out of a cannon in the first power play these days.
    78 from the first dozen overs, well on target now for England.
    Young Richardson looks a decent quick, though.
    Yes, he’s having a good game. Good batting from Bairstow and Hales though, pair of fifties.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    John_M said:

Good morning all.

Italmost deserves naming a syndrome in its honour. If we lived 4,000 years ago, Borisamun would be proposing to build the world's largest pyramid.

It would help the country if he and Osbourne did a job swap. Boris could go back to writing jocular newspaper articles and Osbourne would make a fine Foreign Secretary.

:)
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    These guys have got no soul. Back in the 70s Michael Moorcock wrote an excellent series of books in which Britain and France were linked by a huge silver bridge. Completely impractical of course but we should be allowed to dream for a while.
    There’s very good reasons we went with the tunnel last time, namely that the Channel is the world’s busiest shipping lane, and that it’s an area prone to storm force winds.
    The channel can be a bit blowy but it's not exactly the Drake Passage. I think that, technologically, it could be done (Varne Bank is conveniently located in the middle for a start at only 3m depth) if the money and will existed. Which of course they don't.
    From an engineering point of view it’s possible, see the new Severn Bridge as an example of one that almost never closes for winds. More difficult is avoiding accidents with shipping in the regular wind and fog. The bridge would need to be high off the deck, similar to the QEII Bridge at Dartford, and probably have three or more large spans to allow the huge amount of water-based traffic through.

Possible, but very difficult, and probably a road tunnel is the better bet for a second crossing. Not as symbolic for Boris though.
    What about a huge transporter bridge :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree makes accusations of antisemitism by the Labour Party on a regular basis.I do not know how correct she is or what information she is using to conclude the official party is implicated.

I hink she's simply mistaken, based on media reports of a handful of serious cases. There is a more subtle issue. Many in the party are instinctively pro-Palestinian because Palestinians are demonstrably in difficult conditions in Third World living conditions and historically the West has been generally unhelpful and successive Israeli governments have been pretty right-wing. For most, this is moderated rather than accentuated by the anxiety not to be anti-semitic, so you routinely get comments about not being anti-semitic but favouring a boycott of Israel, which are then attacked as anti-semitic. Yes, I know that Palestinians have repeatedly had leaders close to terrorism, and that's a problem too and a more reasonable line of attack on sympathisers.

In addition, with 550K+ members, you will always have a few who really are anti-semitic, so there will be a steady trickle of expulsion cases working their way through the party. There is also at least one case (Livingstone) of someone who most of us have liked and respected who seems to have careened off into open provocations, and we're reluctant to either tolerate it or throw him out.

But it's simply wrong to suggest that the Labour Party in general or the leadership are antisemitic - I doubt if the issue even arises (I've never heard any MP or local party debate Jewishness), as it seems as irrelevant as debating whethere we should dislike short people or people who like pineapple on pizza. I'm a former executive member of Labour Friends of Israel and nobody ever hassled me about it, though one constituent was annoyed.
    The unacceptable Labour cry of "I'm not anti-semitic, but...." - and then go on to take a whole series of stands where the pro-Palestinian instinct is so strong it over-powers the ability to maintain basic decency towards the Jews. Labour is hideously bent out of shape over those in Israel - and deserves to have this pointed out, loudly and often, until it does something, or becomes an electoral irrelevance.

And then Livingstone - someone who as you admit, Labour are "reluctant to either tolerate or throw out". Here's a suggestion. If you don't want to appear to ousiders as being tolerant of anti-semitism, then THROW THE ANTI-SEMITE OUT THE PARTY.
  • Options
    A good post and tip.
This discussion has been closed.