Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad night for LAB in latest local elections losing a seat to C

2»

Comments

• Options

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:
    Sounds like UKIP are about to implode.
    They could keep trying everyone out as leader until they find a good one! What's wrong with Suzanne Evans?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Evans

Actually, if other parties adopted a 'try before you buy' approach to leaders, they might end up with more satisfactory outcomes, e.g. I think Lamb could be a better Lib.Dem leader than Cable.
    Lamb would be excellent
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    edited January 2018

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:
    They could keep trying everyone out as leader until they find a good one! What's wrong with Suzanne Evans?

Actually, if other parties adopted a 'try before you buy' approach to leaders, they might end up with more satisfactory outcomes, e.g. I think Lamb could be a better Lib.Dem leader than Cable.
    Evans would probably be good, but I don’t think there’s much keeeping the party together any more now Brexit is going through.

Lamb would be a million times better than Cable, the old man is completely invisible and irrelevant. When was the last time the LDs set the media agenda for the day? They desperately need a distinct policy or two that they can run with that’s not opposing Brexit. Drugs liberalisation might be a good one, or tax increases for social care.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:
    They could keep trying everyone out as leader until they find a good one!
    The Tories could lend them Nadine Dorries.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,963
    What is it about Boris and bridges? You would have thought he would have learnt his lessons when he and his chums fleeced the taxpayer of tens of millions over the hilarious Garden Bridge debacle ...

Perhaps he's realised he'll never be PM and wants a massive vanity project to stoke his over-inflated ego? ;)

Or is he a secret pontist?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:
    They are a joke and in terminal decline
    Unless there’s a massive Brexit betrayal by the government that leads to Farage coming back, I think we’ve probably seen the last of UKIP.
    That possibility of betrayal is surely the only thing keeping many of those left in the party.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PP continues to lose support in Spain. Now in third place, according to the latest poll.
    https://twitter.com/electograph/status/954405397317718016

Wow, down to 3rd place.
    It’s funny to see decimal point percentages with a 3% MoE on the poll.
    That point aside, the whole of Spain would be pretty much ungovernable save for an uneasy alliance of two of the three of them.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

What is it about Boris and bridges? You would have thought he would have learnt his lessons when he and his chums fleeced the taxpayer of tens of millions over the hilarious Garden Bridge debacle ...

Perhaps he's realised he'll never be PM and wants a massive vanity project to stoke his over-inflated ego? ;)

Or is he a secret pontist?

Pontificator maximus.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Well quite.

For major national infrastructure Parliament should discuss the proposal, accept comments in a consultation and then pass a Hybrid Bill authorising the required land purchases and construction - bypassing the usual planning process completely. Parliament should agree compensation at 125% or 133% and then get building.

We could have had runways 3 and 4 operational by now if we’d spent less time talking and more time building. The rest of the world doesn’t spend two or three decades talking about building a runway, they get on with building the damn thing.

In the time that we've been talking about maybe oneday building an expansion to a pre-existing airport and maybe just maybe in a few decades have a new train line completed the Chinese have developed lots of new airports and expansions and trainlines.

And we wonder why we're not efficient as a nation? Seriously!?

JFDI - Just F***ing Do It.
    My usual reply to this is that Dubai’s T3 was built in the same time as LHR T5’s planning enquiry. Same scope of work, adding new terminal buildings to the existing field with only a couple of access roads outside. As you say China is the same - guess which way the trade is going.

More worryingly, there’s no flights from all these new Chinese airports to London, because LHR and LGW are completely full.

JFDI, with bells on!
    Indeed China is the world's most significant growing economy and has been for decades yet we're not able to cater to flights there? It's pathetic and a national disgrace.

We need a clean sweep in everything stalling all these projects and JFDI should be the national motto until we've caught up.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Evans would probably be good, but I don’t think there’s much keeeping the party together any more now Brexit is going through.

Lamb would be a million times better than Cable, the old man is completely invisible and irrelevant. When was the last time the LDs set the media agenda for the day? They desperately need a distinct policy or two that they can run with that’s not opposing Brexit. Drugs liberalisation might be a good one, or tax increases for social care.
    Cable is surely the old cardinal for Swinson
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Yep. Just needs time for her kids at the moment iirc
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Tony said:

Quite funny watching the reaction to Boris's bridge idea.
    Imagine Macron had proposed the exact same thing , everything in UK politics now is filtered though the Brexit vote , it's extraordinary and so transparent.

As a very regular user of the Shuttle people are missing the point with the capacity argument. The shuttle isn't full because it's expensive and tedious, 90 minute wait both ways over Xmas for example.

A road bridge with say a £20 one way fee and massively reduced delays would dramatically increase the demand/traffic. The major beneficiaries would actually be northern France , it would become a London suburb :)

If you think Macron would have been lauded for the idea you are a fruit loop.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:
    Unless there’s a massive Brexit betrayal by the government that leads to Farage coming back, I think we’ve probably seen the last of UKIP.
    That possibility of betrayal is surely the only thing keeping many of those left in the party.
    Oh I don't know. If one has spent years in a party and made friends etc etc it is quite hard to walk away.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Possibly, but politics doesnt stand still for a few years waiting for Mrs Swinson to decide the time’s right. Sir Vince has done precisely nothing in the last six months.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:
    Oh I don't know. If one has spent years in a party and made friends etc etc it is quite hard to walk away.
    Maybe UKIP should have a massive disbandment party on Brexit Day then all go their separate ways, with their primary mission accomplished?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2018

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

She stood against Nuttall in 2016 and lost. And she was effective leader for one week post the 2015 general election - before she had a falling out with Farage who resigned and returned. Her chance has been and gone really.

Didn't she also have a breast cancer scare recently - so she may still be recovering from that. Why would she want the hassle?

Who needs the grief anyway - no money, no candidates, an NEC that undermines every leader including even Farage. She doesn't even reference UKIP on her Twitter now - just a Brexit campaigner

Had Steven Woolfe got his nomination papers in 20 minutes earlier - or the NEC accepted them anyway - it might all have been so different for UKIP! Poor internet connections and dodgy websites - such is life!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Sandpit said:

PP continues to lose support in Spain. Now in third place, according to the latest poll.
    https://twitter.com/electograph/status/954405397317718016

Wow, down to 3rd place.
    It’s funny to see decimal point percentages with a 3% MoE on the poll.
    That point aside, the whole of Spain would be pretty much ungovernable save for an uneasy alliance of two of the three of them.
    Most likely a PP and Citizens coalition
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Alistair said:

Tony said:

Quite funny watching the reaction to Boris's bridge idea.
    Imagine Macron had proposed the exact same thing , everything in UK politics now is filtered though the Brexit vote , it's extraordinary and so transparent.

As a very regular user of the Shuttle people are missing the point with the capacity argument. The shuttle isn't full because it's expensive and tedious, 90 minute wait both ways over Xmas for example.

A road bridge with say a £20 one way fee and massively reduced delays would dramatically increase the demand/traffic. The major beneficiaries would actually be northern France , it would become a London suburb :)

If you think Macron would have been lauded for the idea you are a fruit loop.
    Reading this account of Denmark's east-west bridge
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Belt_Fixed_Link
    my thought is, if so many problems can arise with a 7 km bridge in Scandinavia, including ships colliding with it, do we want a 30 km bridge to France across an even busier shipping route? Tunnels are pretty trouble-free as long as you pump them; the Severn Tunnel is 130 years old and still OK. Of course, a road tunnel might not fit the sheer vanity of the man.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I think there is something rather symbolic about the inability to build a 3rd Heathrow runway. Blaming NIMBYism is to miss the point. We live in a democracy. The real issue is how can it be that the (understandable) objections of a few hundred thousand people outweigh the interests of 60 million? Ultimately because the locals really care and the rest of Britain doesn't give a stuff. It makes no sense to sacrifice a bunch of SW marginals in the hope of wooing Nuneatons because the Nuneatons don't care about 'global Britain' which is nothing more than a daydream of political and corporate minds. They care about their families their standard of living and being able to get cheap flights to their favourite holiday destinations. It makes me laugh when some Bexiteers think leaving the EU will allow us to unleash global Britain which has apparently been shackled by the EU. Want Global Britain? Start having a conversation with your own population.
This discussion has been closed.