Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rebeller Italia. The next problem coming down the tracks for t

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

Mr. HYUFD, I hope Di Maio are a party that really likes cats, rather than Maoists.

Di Maio is the leader of Five Star and the likely next Italian PM
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    edited January 2018
    Smith caught!

EDIT: or was he?

FURTHER EDIT: Yes! Wasn't incontrovertible evidence to overturn the umpires' decision.
  • Options

Smith caught!

Alas not
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited January 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

And then you have a genius like Terry Pratchett...

He was a genius in that he wrote the same four books over and over again; getting paid each time.

Hey, even if that were true, 4 books is more than most people can do!

And it's clearly not true. I can think of just one sequence of the books, containing the same characters, which are vastly different. Guards guards, men at arms, feet of clay, jingo, the fifth elephant, night watch, thud. All the same principle cast, but very different in plot.
    I stole the aperçu from my wife's friend's husband who is Something In Publishing and said it at dinner. I've only ever read a couple of TP's works and was that of necessity due to being confined on a warship without a desperately well stocked library. I recall one was Men at Arms and the cover got ripped off for use as a shithouse shinpad.
    No one says you have to enjoy something just because other people do. But there are plenty of authors who genuinely do write the same book over and over again, and as someone who has read almost all of his work (I'd say 2/3 good, 1/3 not, and of the good another half are great, IMO) TP was not one of them (not to pick on David Eddings too much, as I have read many of his books and enjoyed them, but I couldn't finish the last one I tried reading over a decade ago, because not only was the basic plot so similar to some of his other works, and the characters clearly the same with different names, there was honest to gods repeated dialogue between them!)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,260
    Doesn’t look out to me.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977

F1: A month and five days until the first test. I think the first car reveals will be in a couple of weeks. The halo will be new, and I can't remember if they finally decided whether to keep or axe the shark fins. I believe the T-wings (coat-hangers at the back of the fins) are being axed.

We'll also have a ridiculous number of compounds, seven in 2018, with the hypersoft and super-hard (ahem) joining the current five dry compounds.

France is back on the calendar and, somewhat worryingly, the US is yet to be confirmed. Murmurings that Vietnam will be added in the near future (don't get excited. It'll probably be a shitty street circuit).

TBH nothing on the subject from my informed sources and if there’s a SE Asia trip I think there would be.
  • Options
    The soft signal helped England there.
  • Options

5 Star in particular are completely unpredictable - they will adopt whatever policies come into their heads as popular and then drop them again

A lesson in how though partisanship is usually a bad thing, and the ideologies of many parties are not as real as they (and their supporters) pretend, there is a reason we have such ideologically based parties as a means of at least general stability of expectation of what they will do.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. HYUFD, cheers.

King Cole, cheers, although it sounded like 2019 (or later) rather than this year, to me. But they do announce a lot of 'potential' races that never end up happening (cf second US race, Argentina, Denmark, Greece).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    I think that was out. Remember, it's a two dimensional image of a three dimensional event.

I went to see Aggers and Boycott at the New Victoria Theatre in Woking on Friday night (they were very funny) and it was interesting to hear Agnew be quite sceptical about technology.

Personally I think it works okay in cricket. The only thing I would change is to take the no ball away from the on field umpire.

Football on the other hand...

• Options
    Jeremy Corbyn is under huge pressure to shift party policy on Brexit as an exclusive poll for the Observer reveals a substantial majority of existing and potential Labour voters want him to back permanent membership of the EU’s single market and customs union.

Four times as many Labour supporters favour that option as oppose it. The survey by Opinium also finds that more than twice as many in this group want Corbyn to support a second referendum on the eventual Brexit deal as reject it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/20/brexit-labour-majority-back-eu-single-market-membership?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    That wicket sent the Aussies out from 1.7 to 2.7. England favourites once more.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, cheers.

King Cole, cheers, although it sounded like 2019 (or later) rather than this year, to me. But they do announce a lot of 'potential' races that never end up happening (cf second US race, Argentina, Denmark, Greece).

I’ll keep my ears open, Mr D.. the last significant discussion was about associated related virtual reality games.
  • Options

5 Star in particular are completely unpredictable - they will adopt whatever policies come into their heads as popular and then drop them again

Sounds like a Corbyn manifesto then.....

• Options
    edited January 2018
    tlg86 said:

I think that was out. Remember, it's a two dimensional image of a three dimensional event.

I went to see Aggers and Boycott at the New Victoria Theatre in Woking on Friday night (they were very funny) and it was interesting to hear Agnew be quite sceptical about technology.

Personally I think it works okay in cricket. The only thing I would change is to take the no ball away from the on field umpire.

As I recall they've proven that replays can be very misleading when it comes to whether a ball has been grounded or not for the reason you suggest, so it seems reasonable that benefit of the doubt goes to the on field decision.

Football will be able to work it out in time, the overreaction to the first uses of VAR were preposterous. Kinks will be worked out, and the really simple stuff that can very simply be checked to avoid what are common mistakes now, will be worth it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

With cricket there's a regular natural break to review a decision, unlike association football.

Plus most cricket reviews are on matters of fact, not matters of opinion with seems prevalent with VAR.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

He was a genius in that he wrote the same four books over and over again; getting paid each time.

And it's clearly not true. I can think of just one sequence of the books, containing the same characters, which are vastly different. Guards guards, men at arms, feet of clay, jingo, the fifth elephant, night watch, thud. All the same principle cast, but very different in plot.
    I stole the aperçu from my wife's friend's husband who is Something In Publishing and said it at dinner. I've only ever read a couple of TP's works and was that of necessity due to being confined on a warship without a desperately well stocked library. I recall one was Men at Arms and the cover got ripped off for use as a shithouse shinpad.
    No one says you have to enjoy something just because other people do. But there are plenty of authors who genuinely do write the same book over and over again, and as someone who has read almost all of his work (I'd say 2/3 good, 1/3 not, and of the good another half are great, IMO) TP was not one of them (not to pick on David Eddings too much, as I have read many of his books and enjoyed them, but I couldn't finish the last one I tried reading over a decade ago, because not only was the basic plot so similar to some of his other works, and the characters clearly the same with different names, there was honest to gods repeated dialogue between them!)
    The only interesting Eddingz book was his first - High Hunt I think - about a schoolboy athlete struggling with shattered ambitions as a result of a car accident
  • Options
    edited January 2018

The soft signal helped England there.

Yup. The replay cameras are at least 100m from the action, and not at the right height to judge a low catch as well as any other decision they’re asked to make. A rear stump camera might help with those ones.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

With cricket there's a regular natural break to review a decision, unlike association football.

Plus most cricket reviews are on matters of fact, not matters of opinion with seems prevalent with VAR.
    That decision just now was a matter of opinion. I think it was caught. However, I can just about understand why someone might not overturn a not out decision in that case.

The problem the other night was that everyone looked at the Willian foul and said penalty. And it wasn't overturned. The powers that be need to decide what is and what isn't a foul.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

tlg86 said:

Crossing a goal line, offside, both clear matters of fact. Foul/no foul? That's trickier but not impossible on the same basis as matters which are left as 'umpire's call' now (this grounding of the ball call an example) - if it comes down to a matter of opinion, you stay with the referee on the field. And football has enough fake breaks of play as people pretend to be hurt that a inserting a break of play should not be too problematic, particularly when most calls will need to be made around when the ref has called for offside or a foul, or a goal has been scored, and there's a break anyway.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, Finch gone, trapped in front!

England’s to lose now.

Losing Plunkett is a blow which helps Australia.
    Finch chancing his arm against Rashid has pretty well negated that. Australia showing again that they don't know how to pace a one day innings.

Meanwhile, another Yorkshireman reaches the Australian Open quarter final...
    Is he really a Yorkshireman?
    Just about good enough, I think.
    :smile:

To confirm his Yorkshireness he needs to front this campaign.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/955008938998722560
    Dat looks plastic. You relocating. :neutral:
  • Options
    calum said:
    I'm fluent in French and German among other languages.

Time for me to be Prime Minister?
  • Options
    Some of England’s ground fielding has been pretty ordinary. May be some dew.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

That decision just now was a matter of opinion. I think it was caught. However, I can just about understand why someone might not overturn a not out decision in that case.

The problem the other night was that everyone looked at the Willian foul and said penalty. And it wasn't overturned. The powers that be need to decide what is and what isn't a foul.
    They do, as I for one didn't think it was a penalty - when a player unnaturally drags their leg to make contact with a defender, it is usually given but should not in my opinion, no more than sticking your leg out to the side to catch on a defender should be.
  • Options
    calum said:
    Fluent or sensible? He can do the first in English but as for the second .......

Clegg is fluent in four other European languages IIRC.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,572

Jeremy Corbyn is under huge pressure to shift party policy on Brexit as an exclusive poll for the Observer reveals a substantial majority of existing and potential Labour voters want him to back permanent membership of the EU’s single market and customs union.

Four times as many Labour supporters favour that option as oppose it. The survey by Opinium also finds that more than twice as many in this group want Corbyn to support a second referendum on the eventual Brexit deal as reject it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/20/brexit-labour-majority-back-eu-single-market-membership?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Is Paris worth a mass to Mr Corbyn ?
    It would be a surprise.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Some of England’s ground fielding has been pretty ordinary. May be some dew.

Yup, Johnny Bairstow never misfields.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

The only interesting Eddingz book was his first - High Hunt I think - about a schoolboy athlete struggling with shattered ambitions as a result of a car accident
    As i recall he deliberately set out to write what amounted to the most basic archetypal fantasy tales - clear good and evil, magical macguffin, quest to save the world. Which can be written in a fun way,but in terms of ambition and creativity is hard to sustain over and over. The Mallorean and Tamuli series, were pretty decent.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

They do, as I for one didn't think it was a penalty - when a player unnaturally drags their leg to make contact with a defender, it is usually given but should not in my opinion, no more than sticking your leg out to the side to catch on a defender should be.
    The difficulty is that I don't think attackers are obliged to step over the leg of a defender. I think they have every right to go down when defenders go diving in like that.

EDIT: And if you don't think it was a penalty, then had it been given, then you should be in favour of it being overturned (which I'm sure it wouldn't have been). What I'm getting at, is that the margin for referee's call should be much smaller than it is. We can all see what has happened (whereas that isn't necessarily the case with some calls in cricket).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    calum said:

Boris is fluent in French

Not fluent, and he can’t get through a whole interview in French.
  • Options
    Italy has been in trouble for a long time. The north south divide is almost unbridgeable, corruption is rife, organised crime is entrenched, there is zero respect for state institutions. The EU and immigration are but the latest scapegoats for endemic, deep-seated and seemingly unsolveable problems. Italy is as it is because of decisions Italians have taken. The same applies to all EU member states, of course - including the UK.
  • Options

calum said:
    Fluent or sensible? He can do the first in English but as for the second .......

Clegg is fluent in four other European languages IIRC.
    He gets an EU pension for each one.....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I remember when DRS was being trialled there were a few kinks/protocols that needed ironing out.

Perhaps VAR will just be like that.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

They’re not for everyone certainly. But I don’t see a huge similarity in his works - apart from discworld he also wrote some science fiction which I thought was brilliant.
    I think undeniably they are very popular and the disc World Series cuts across genres in a way that most authors can’t or don’t.

• Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I remember when DRS was being trialled there were a few kinks/protocols that needed ironing out.

If I remember rightly, didn't DRS require a much higher threshold to overturn a decision? There may be logical reasons for doing something one way, but in practice, you need to do what makes most sense to the spectator.
  • Options
    Another Yorkshireman strikes.
  • Options
    Big mistake by Marsh.
  • Options

calum said:

Boris can't get through a whole interview in English without returning to Latin....
  • Options
    Wicket! Marsh out (no issues on this one!)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

It will take a long time to get over that penalty for Chelsea for me.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

If I remember rightly, didn't DRS require a much higher threshold to overturn a decision? There may be logical reasons for doing something one way, but in practice, you need to do what makes most sense to the spectator.
    Yup, a very much higher threshold.

I remember Daryl Harper not overturning a not out decision because he hadn't turned up the volume on his headphones
  • Options
    Just the bowlers to go now.
    Australia 3.8.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The difficulty is that I don't think attackers are obliged to step over the leg of a defender. I think they have every right to go down when defenders go diving in like that.
    Personally I think there's a difference in not avoiding a thrust leg and a very unnatural dragging of a limb - if it involves a movement that makes no sense, like dragging your leg low for no reason, then that is little more akin to simulation than being tripped. I'll give another example - sometime you can see in replsy that someone has started going down just before contact, but there was then contact, and those are sometimes given, but should not be. Or like one of the diving yellows given against Chelsea last week - there was a touch on the shoulder, I'd have given a foul perhaps, but the player flopped to the ground ankle first (that is, they felt contact, and then clearly threw themselves to the ground almost as though they had been tripped, rather than the shoulder tug they should have reacted to).

Those are all matters of opinion, so in situations like that, referee's call seems reasonable - pundits, particularly former players, almost always justify things on the basis of 'well, there was contact', but its the type of contact, who initiates it (I think if you drag your leg deliberately you initiated it, not the defender), and the way the person goes down that can all contribute to a call.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

calum said:

I didn't know Johnson had a claim for fluency in French. I checked out an interview on Youtube. He has a good ear and can replicate French tonality in a convincing way. Fine for "how are you today?" conversations but he doesn't have the vocabulary to carry an argument.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Probably - certainly some of the complaints, do not seem impossible to deal with.
  • Options
    calum said:
    Why not German ? Or Mandarin ?
    I don't really see why fluency in French ought to be a requirement for our PM - though that speech May tried to read in French the other day was truly excruciating to listen to.

• Options
    @kle4 - The opinion is about whether it is a foul or not. We can all see what happened on the replay. That's why the law makers need to clarify what is and what isn't a foul.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Australia 3.8.

Paine is a lot more than just a bowler.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Smith caught!

Alas not
    It was clearly out.

McDonnell refuses to back down for his McVey death wishes on Marr. Nobody will care.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

That would require Labour to leave free movement permanently in place, a policy which would not help them win the Leave voting Tory marginals they need for a majority
  • Options
    King Cole, not my cup of tea, but e-sports are increasing in popularity, and it is an interesting idea. There would also be a natural shadowing of the main event, and if it acted as a gateway for younger people to get drawn into F1, with small cost (compared to the actual sport) it could be a hit.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Australia 3.8.

Looking forward to hearing the Test selectors explaining why they didn't pick Rashid....or Hales or Buttler.

Nobody will be holding their breath.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

calum said:
    I don't really see why fluency in French ought to be a requirement for our PM - though that speech May tried to read in French the other day was truly excruciating to listen to.

Well, at least one other useful language would be good. Paddy Ashdown was... probably still is ... fluent in Mandarin
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Australia 3.8.

Looking forward to hearing the Test selectors explaining why they didn't pick Rashid....or Hales or Buttler.

Rashid doesn't control the ball enough in Tests.

Hales has failed in test cricket.

Buttler doesn't play enough red ball cricket.

In 2017 Gary Ballance scored more first class hundreds than Buttler has in his entire career.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Australia 3.8.

The Test selectors deserve to be fired.

Thanks for the tip on England last night BTW ;)

Aus 4.4 to get the runs, despite being ahead on both runs and wickets compared to England’s innings.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    No-one discussed the importance of Penguin Awareness Day yesterday and it took my long-term if "Jezza falls under a bus" candidate,currently available at 13-2 best priced,Emily Thornberry,too remind us:
    More than a quarter of the world's penguins are British.
    It is our duty to safeguard their seas.
    #BackTheBlueBelt

Penguins are even better than huskies and us Brits love our penguins.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    As previously stated I would not recommend any bet in an ante-post market under double figure prices.That's my system but DYOT.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Australia 3.8.

In 2017 Gary Ballance scored more first class hundreds than Buttler has in his entire career.
    Agree about Hales, but Buttler is too outrageously talented not to be somewhere in the middle order.
    As for Rashid, I think he's been handled woefully at test level. Control can be learned.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Australia 3.8.

The Test selectors deserve to be fired.

Thanks for the tip on England last night BTW ;)

Aus 4.4 to get the runs, despite being ahead on both runs and wickets compared to England’s innings.
    It would be easier to fire them if it were clear who they were. Grrrrr......
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Australia 3.8.

Agree about Hales, but Buttler is too outrageously talented not to be somewhere in the middle order.
    As for Rashid, I think he's been handled woefully at test level. Control can be learned.
    Think Hales deserves another go. There’s some sort of problem between Root and Rasid, isn’t there?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Macron says any bespoke deal for Britain should respect the single market and will not see full access to it for the UK without a budget contribution and respect for the 4 freedoms. Any deal for the City will depend on what the UK puts on the table. He also says he interprets the Brexit vote as a vote from the losers of globalisation and the middle and working classes and the old and there was not enough explanation of how to improve it. Perhaps the UK government was too free market without enough regulation, although Macron says he believes in the free market and market economy it needs regulation. He also wants more sovereignty, unity and democracy in the EU.

Macron is a class act. He undoubtedly believes Brexit is a big opportunity for France.

• Options

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Well, at least one other useful language would be good. Paddy Ashdown was... probably still is ... fluent in Mandarin
    I can't find any evidence of that. The former PM of Australia, Kevin Rudd, is genuinely fluent in Chinese with perfect comprehension and an ability to choose his expressions. Chinese is a tonal language and Rudd's tones are suspect, but that's normal for westerners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bro4mkb_VKc
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Australia 3.8.

Rashid would have got far more runs and wickets than Moeen did in the Ashes. Incredible how Moeen is indulged in this team.

Rashid has 13 caps - not a single one in England.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Australia 3.8.

Think Hales deserves another go. There’s some sort of problem between Root and Rasid, isn’t there?
    Perhaps, but it's the job of those who lead the team to get the best players in there and ensure they give of their best.
    If you can't handle a Pietersen (for example) you shouldn't be captain, or coach.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Nigelb said:

calum said:

Couldn't Blair speak French to quite a high level?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Oui.

So could Ted Heath but with a very heavy accent.

Interesting fact, Officer Crabtree from 'Allo 'Allo and his French was inspired by Ted Heath.
  • Options
    Great over from Wood, followed by another from Rashid. 12 an over needed now, convicts out to 4/1
  • Options
    If accurate, this reminds me of the Channel 4 debate around the Danish cartoons. They held an audience (I think) survey to see if they should show them. A majority wanted them shown. Channel 4 declined to do so anyway, because censorship/blasphemy 'laws' trump democracy and free speech.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/955017014376058880
  • Options

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Oui.

Interesting fact, Officer Crabtree from 'Allo 'Allo and his French was inspired by Ted Heath.
    To be fair, Heath's English accent was quite strange, too.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Great over from Wood, followed by another from Rashid. 12 an over needed now, convicts out to 4/1

He is a class limited over bowler. So much variety and smart with it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,588
    edited January 2018
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Oui.

I don't understand the obsession with the question of whether or not someone has changed their accent.

If it's okay for someone to change their appearance by, say, covering themselves in tattoos and piercings, by the same token it must also be okay for them to change their accent whenever and however they want, yes? If not, you're applying double standards to the question of whether someone is entitled to make changes to their own persona, physical or otherwise, whenever they feel like it.
  • Options
    I'm having dinner with an Aussie tonight.

Told him if England lose this I'll eat pineapple pizza tonight.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

He is a class limited over bowler. So much variety and smart with it.
    That last over was brilliant. Eng 1.11 now. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2018

No-one discussed the importance of Penguin Awareness Day yesterday and it took my long-term if "Jezza falls under a bus" candidate,currently available at 13-2 best priced,Emily Thornberry,too remind us:
    More than a quarter of the world's penguins are British.
    It is our duty to safeguard their seas.
    #BackTheBlueBelt

Penguins are even better than huskies and us Brits love our penguins.

A quarter of the world's penguins being British? Hmmmm....unless the stats were compiled in days of Empire. Falklands, South Georgia, Tristan da Cunha. British Overseas Territory. Maybe if we are given a designated bit of Antractica? That's it.

I have seen all but one of the world's species of penguins (New Zealand's Fiordland Penguin still missing, if you were wondering) - in South Africa, Ecuador (Galapagos), Argentina, (possibly also in Chilean waters), Australia, New Zealand, Antarctica. I've seen them on South Georgia. And Tristan da Cunha - that after a Brazilian bulk carrier slammed into Nightingale Island and spilt 1800 tonnes of bunker fuel over the local penguins. They were all being de-oiled in the Tristan da Cunha swimming pool that had been commandeered for the purpose.

And these British there didn't exactly compare to seeing a 17 acre rookery of Royal Penguins on Macquarie Island, Tasmania - the resident scientists apologised they couldn't show us the big colonies because of the weather.....
  • Options

If accurate, this reminds me of the Channel 4 debate around the Danish cartoons. They held an audience (I think) survey to see if they should show them. A majority wanted them shown. Channel 4 declined to do so anyway, because censorship/blasphemy 'laws' trump democracy and free speech.

Another through the looking glass moment.

Except, of course, it makes McDonnell look bad as it makes it looks like he has something to hide. It could also prompt a Streisand effect.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,401
    edited January 2018
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Oui.

The only strange accent is the Geordie accent. I struggle to understand them.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Oui.

Posh Geordie is truly weird.
  • Options
    oops - a six....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Oui.

Posh Geordie is truly weird.
    Well there's Sedgefield
  • Options

Indeed. Blair can lie about Iraq in French as in English.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Need a wicket.
  • Options

Schoolboy error by Marr. He should just have played it.

Andrew Neil would have.
  • Options

oops - a six....

Whatever happens this is a great advert for 50 over cricket.

But come on England!
  • Options

Andrew Neil would have.
    https://twitter.com/Johnthe92611772/status/955024640686125057
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Need a wicket.

Relax, we'd be worried if Ben Stokes was bowling the final over.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Oui.

I don't understand the obsession with the question of whether or not someone has changed their accent.

If it's okay for someone to change their appearance by, say, covering themselves in tattoos and piercings, by the same token it must also be okay for them to change their accent whenever and however they want, yes? If not, you're applying double standards to the question of whether someone is entitled to make changes to their own persona, physical or otherwise, whenever they feel like it.
    I have no problem with that at all - I do it myself.
    It was the less than euphonious result, rather than the effort.
  • Options
    2.8 a ball....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    HYUFD said:

McDonnell says he regards Macron as articulate and a man of the centre left but too sympathetic to the market economy for him but he does like Macron's language on how neoliberalism has alienated many

Reasonable basis for cooperation there if...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Oui.

Sounds reasonable to me. Of course people do change their accents, but would get judged for it (either by poshing it up or adopting something suggesting a more humble origin).
  • Options
    Class by Wood again
  • Options
    22 off 6 balls required.....
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I didn't watch the interview, but I suspect Andrew Marr wasn't asking McDonnell for permission to replay his comments on McVey. They wouldn't replay them if he said "Yes". I am not going to defend hate speech, but it is a bit of "When did you stop beating your wife?" question. If he says "no" he has something to hide and if he says "yes", they won't play the remarks because they are too horrible.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Andrew Neil would have.
    None of which means anything of course. McDonnell doesn't care he said what he said, and how many who vote for him will care? Not many as most will already know about it. And how many will allow it, even if they do care, to trump why they planned to vote Labour in the first place?

Unless someone is one of those who literally believe only Tories are capable of nasty things, and only Labour people are nice, that he is capable of being nasty won't change anyone up. And in fact the sort of people that think only party x is good and only party y are bad, are also the type to excuse the bad behaviour of party x when it is directed at party y.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

calum said:

Oui.

Yeah, it's not like people get any criticism or are judged for covering themselves in tattoos and piercings.

Of course everyone is entitled to do all of these things, just as everyone is entitled to have a view on them.
  • Options
    Got him! Game over.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I didn't watch the interview, but I suspect Andrew Marr wasn't asking McDonnell for permission to replay his comments on McVey. They wouldn't replay them if he said "Yes". I am not going to defend hate speech, but it is a bit of "When did you stop beating your wife?" question. If he says "no" he has something to hide and if he says "yes", they won't play the remarks because they are too horrible.
    Is it so bad to ask a 'when did you stop beating your wife' question of a wife beater ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Andrew Neil would have.
    None of which means anything of course. McDonnell doesn't care he said what he said, and how many who vote for him will care? Not many as . And how many will allow it, even if they do care, to trump why they planned to vote Labour in the first place?

Unless someone is one of those who literally believe only Tories are capable of nasty things, and only Labour people are nice, that he is capable of being nasty won't change anyone up. And in fact the sort of people that think only party x is good and only party y are bad, are also the type to excuse the bad behaviour of party x when it is directed at party y.
    "most will already know about it"

"most" have no idea who he is. If it gets a wider airing, how do you think these comments will play with women voters?

a) badly?

b) very badly?

c) you want me to vote for HIM?

• Options
    Aussies needing double-figure wides.....
  • Options
    First England ODI series win in Australia.
This discussion has been closed.