Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At 100/1 or longer Osborne, DMiliband & TBlair for next LD lea

124»

Comments

• old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

What I don't about get the President's Club thing is the mentality behind having "hostesses". If you want to spend time with an attractive young lady on a strictly transactional basis and don't want her to complain if your hands or any other bits end up where they probably shouldn't be, that's not exactly a difficult thing to arrange in London. I dare say you could even take her to the Dorchester if you really wanted to. Admittedly she probably wouldn't donate her fee to charity but I'm guessing that isn't a major issue in most cases. So why on earth are they doing it? Am I missing something here?

What's wrong with taking her to the Liberal Club?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sandpit said:

brendan16 said:

Of course when they actually were - as in Rotherham and Rochdale and many other towns - and the victims were very vulnerable young girls from poor backgrounds not adult women the media, the police and local councils covered it up or ignored the problem for years until they could ignore it no longer.

O Brien himself was all over the various cases involving politicians and tv stars - most of which came to nothing for years. He was much more reserved on Rotherham et al

No one excuses what happened at this event - but it is just a shame even worse examples of the treatment of under age girls in the UK and abroad do not seem to generate the same media outrage until of course they have no alternative to report it.
    Well said.

People don’t seem to understanding that there are degrees of wrongdoing, and that trying to equivocate a bawdy dinner with Rotherham or Jimmy Savile is ridiculous.
    Even if no women were the victims of inappropriate behaviour, the mindset of any organisation and the people who attended it has to be questioned, given the past year of revelations about powerful men and their attitude to women.
    "It's not the same" "It'll never happen to me" "No one will ever find out"

Three of the greatest fallacies in the world.
  • NEW THREAD

• old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    MaxPB said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

dr_spyn said:
    Twitter mob wins, a good cause loses. Very sad.

Great. Rather let kids die than accept funds from an organisation that is seen to be un-PC.

Fucking morons.
    Un-PC? Sounds to me like its members were engaging in abuse.
    The fact that some people behaved oafishly at a fund-raising dinner should not mean that one returns money raised at that dinner.
    Serious question. If a group of paedophiles got together and donated money should GOS accept it? I'm testing the limits of your consequentialism here.
    The waitresses or whatever you call them were responding to an advertisement requiring them to be tall, thin and pretty and wear black underwear. Until we hear that anything happened which caused anyone to go to the police I am comfortable with the assumption that they knew what they were letting themselves in for, and don't need their decisions second guessed by a lot of patronizing elderly white men.
    They could have been forced to apply by Esther McVeys DWP under threat of having benefits sanctioned for three years.
    One imagines the hostesses for this party were not hired from job centre referrals.
    Claimants have to apply for x amount of jobs per week. The job centre is uninterested if you can do the job or like it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    edited January 2018

Sandpit said:

brendan16 said:

Of course when they actually were - as in Rotherham and Rochdale and many other towns - and the victims were very vulnerable young girls from poor backgrounds not adult women the media, the police and local councils covered it up or ignored the problem for years until they could ignore it no longer.

O Brien himself was all over the various cases involving politicians and tv stars - most of which came to nothing for years. He was much more reserved on Rotherham et al

No one excuses what happened at this event - but it is just a shame even worse examples of the treatment of under age girls in the UK and abroad do not seem to generate the same media outrage until of course they have no alternative to report it.
    Well said.

People don’t seem to understanding that there are degrees of wrongdoing, and that trying to equivocate a bawdy dinner with Rotherham or Jimmy Savile is ridiculous.
    Even if no women were the victims of inappropriate behaviour, the mindset of any organisation and the people who attended it has to be questioned, given the past year of revelations about powerful men and their attitude to women.
    I don’t disagree with that sentiment at all, but when it gets to the point of charities returning donations I think we need to question if this is becoming a witch-hunt of every minor offence at the expense of concentrating on the more serious examples of abuse.
This discussion has been closed.