Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The fight to succeed TMay – part 127

2»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222

IanB2 said:

Lol. Gove's proposals have already, twice, been kicked several years off into the long grass due to Tory vested interest, and the pressure to abandon or water them down still further continues.

I don't think that's entirely fair, in the same way that crticising people asking for a longish Brexit transition is unfair. My day job is partly to respond to what Gove is doing - I spend hours every day discussing it, writing about it and organiing campigns on it and trying to get it improved. I'd be very pleased if he could implement it all tomorrow. But it's not reasonble to expect big farms to lose their subsidies overnight, and if the end result is much more humane and environmentally-friendly farming, I'm willing to accept a few years to do it.

The risk, as you imply, is that the substance gets watered down under pressure or by a future SofS. But for now I think he's doing a good job.
    I was picking up the 'good things about Brexit' point of the OP rather than intending to criticise Gove per se. I agree that his proposals were imaginative and positive, but clearly he has been nobbled. The facts of the matter are as I gave them - the timetable has been twice deferred already and there is continuing pressure from big landowners to kick them further into touch.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, unsurprising given the far left statistical idiocy expressed by Oxfam on the subject. They seem more concerned by inequality than poverty, and relative poverty (a harmful fiction concocted by those with a desire to perpetuate myths and believed by those statistically uninformed) than absolute poverty (ie not having enough money to live on).

Mr Dancer

If we get rid of the inequality, does not the poverty automatically disappear?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Buried in the S Times report is this claim that Olly Robbins has told the EU that May would stay in the customs union beyond transition.

What the hell is that about?

The ONLY half decent reason to Brexit is to leave the customs union and attempt FTAs with other nations.

I presume this is an attempt to extend transition beyond transition...I doubt it would satisfy the Rees-Moggs.

Actually ending free movement is more important to most Leave voters, many Tory Brexiteers would hate it but staying in the customs union is not something that would concern Leave voters as much as staying in the single market and leaving free movement in place
    Custom Unions are immoral from philosophical perspective. They are an attempt to divert wealth, not maximise it. It’s just mercantilism on a continent wide basis.
    It is more the negotiation of FTAs outside the EU that is the challenge for the UK of leaving the Customs Union I think
    If the EU negotiates our FTAs they are not going to be focused on maximising value added to the UK. You don’t hand over negotiating power to someone with interests that are not aligned with yours
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Scott_P said:
    The easy route which involves doing the least work may be great for the work life balance of civil servants - but it may not be best solution for the country.

Which I think is the point Hoey is making!
This discussion has been closed.