Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As she leaves for China TMay says she’s not a quitter and will

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    edited January 2018
    stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

Wandsworth and Westminster were the key Tory successes trumpeted by Baker in May 1990. The Tories also gained Ealing and did very well in some loony left heartlands, notably Lambeth, where (yes it seems absolutely unbelievable today) they won a majority of wards in Streatham.

I expect May 2018 will be a mirror image of 1990, with the Tories doing terribly in London but mostly holding up OK elsewhere. Though for reasons HYUFD has often bored us with, a big swing in London might still not lose the Tories all that many councils. For that reason I'm not convinced the coming local elections will be all that damaging for May.

London is going to be fascinating this May. The Conservatives might scrape through with minimal losses but it will be hard for them to retain Barnet and possibly Kingston. Richmond and Hillingdon are up for grabs and while I'm told the likes of Wandsworth and Westminster are safe I could envisage the Tory majorities in both Boroughs being significantly reduced.

One of the more interesting contests will be in Havering where the Conservatives are the largest party but supported by the "East Havering Residents" against another group of Residents, UKIP and a few others. 7 of the 12 UKIP Councillors in London are in Havering so if those seats fall where will they go ?

In my Borough, Newham, some unexpected drama in the Mayoralty contest:

http://www.onlondon.co.uk/drama-in-labour-newham-mayoral-candidate-selection-as-robin-wales-urges-open-selection/
    IMHO, nine councils are in play, namely Wandsworth, Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea, Barnet, Richmond, Sutton, Kingston, Havering, and Harrow.

The best the Conservatives can hope for is Lab. 20, Con 12. The worst is Lab 25, Con 3, Lib Dem 3, NOC 1.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    These two are going to make for a rather more amusing session than May and Corbyn!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. F, indeed, that happened dramatically with Henry IV (then very ill as well) and his son, later Henry V. Although Henry IV staged a remarkable comeback to retake regal authority and return the father-son relationship to an altogether healthier state.
  • Options
    I like Emily Thornberry, she'd make a fine Labour Leader.
  • Options

She would indeed especially compared to Corbyn
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    So Thornberry actually doesn't get her point correct on the rights of 16 years olds. She simply doesn't know her subject.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

She can certainly hold the house and make jokes on her feet.
  • Options
    David Lidington is impressive - first time he has had the chance to shine
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044

I agree about Thornberry. Muffin the Mule would make a good leader compared to Corbyn.
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    edited January 2018
    stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

Wandsworth and Westminster were the key Tory successes trumpeted by Baker in May 1990. The Tories also gained Ealing and did very well in some loony left heartlands, notably Lambeth, where (yes it seems absolutely unbelievable today) they won a majority of wards in Streatham.

I expect May 2018 will be a mirror image of 1990, with the Tories doing terribly in London but mostly holding up OK elsewhere. Though for reasons HYUFD has often bored us with, a big swing in London might still not lose the Tories all that many councils. For that reason I'm not convinced the coming local elections will be all that damaging for May.

London is going to be fascinating this May. The Conservatives might scrape through with minimal losses but it will be hard for them to retain Barnet and possibly Kingston. Richmond and Hillingdon are up for grabs and while I'm told the likes of Wandsworth and Westminster are safe I could envisage the Tory majorities in both Boroughs being significantly reduced.

One of the more interesting contests will be in Havering where the Conservatives are the largest party but supported by the "East Havering Residents" against another group of Residents, UKIP and a few others. 7 of the 12 UKIP Councillors in London are in Havering so if those seats fall where will they go ?

http://www.onlondon.co.uk/drama-in-labour-newham-mayoral-candidate-selection-as-robin-wales-urges-open-selection/
    Hard to disagree with that. I think we will see the Tories hold most of their safe boroughs but with majorities slashed. In Bromley the Tories will retain control but I think they will get a nasty surprise in some of their safeish wards in the north of the borough - Copers Cope, Bromley Town, Mottingham, Plaistow & Sundridge. They are changing fast, with a mixture of people moving out of inner London and rising densification with many commuter flats being built. Copers in particular is barely recognisable in parts from when I lived there just 5 years ago. The Tories might have just one last hurrah in control of a swathe of these boroughs before losing them in 2022.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    An actual policy debate at PMQs.

It's unnatural
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,614
    Good grief! Bercow never makes the point about 'noisy, boorish and in one case stupid men' shouting down women when May is on the receiving end.........
  • Options
    Good contest and much better than May v Corbyn
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

In London, given how the Jewish vote in Barnet hates Corbyn while they merely lacked enthusiasm for Ed Miliband, it is possible the only council the Tories lose in London is Kingston but they gain Havering through winning former UKIP seats meaning no net losses for the Tories and no net gains for Labour.

Indeed with the LDs having done so abysmally in 2014 if they gain Kingston and maybe Richmond plus a few Hone Counties seats and councils in opposition to Tory councils local plans for development it could be the yellows who finally have most to celebrate in May. Given Ed Miliband won the 2014 Local Elections by 2% over the Tories Corbyn is starting from a relatively high base in comparison to the general election and any further Labour gains from the Tories will likely be offset by Tory gains from UKIP given UKIP got 17% in 2014
    You keep banging on about Jews in Barnet hating Labour, despite the fact it is a rich area where they've voted Conservative since the old king died, and Mrs Thatcher was a local MP, yet say nothing about Ilford North, which also has a large Jewish population, electing Labour's Wes Streeting.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @trussliz: Brilliant skewering of Thornberry on Labour inconsistency on age of majority - should be able to vote but not use a sunbed! #backofthenet #liddersonfire #pmqs
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's unnatural

A somewhat unusual subject to go on, given all that’s in the news this week, but a witty exchange none the less.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    stevef said:

I agree about Thornberry. Muffin the Mule would make a good leader compared to Corbyn.
    But Muffin is not the Absolute Boy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

In London, given how the Jewish vote in Barnet hates Corbyn while they merely lacked enthusiasm for Ed Miliband, it is possible the only council the Tories lose in London is Kingston but they gain Havering through winning former UKIP seats meaning no net losses for the Tories and no net gains for Labour.

Indeed with the LDs having done so abysmally in 2014 if they gain Kingston and maybe Richmond plus a few Hone Counties seats and councils in opposition to Tory councils local plans for development it could be the yellows who finally have most to celebrate in May. Given Ed Miliband won the 2014 Local Elections by 2% over the Tories Corbyn is starting from a relatively high base in comparison to the general election and any further Labour gains from the Tories will likely be offset by Tory gains from UKIP given UKIP got 17% in 2014
    You keep banging on about Jews in Barnet hating Labour, despite the fact it is a rich area where they've voted Conservative since the old king died, and Mrs Thatcher was a local MP, yet say nothing about Ilford North, which also has a large Jewish population, electing Labour's Wes Streeting.
    And in both areas (particularly Ilford) the Jewish population is on the decline. Barnet is a likely loss for the Tories.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Some astute PBer tipped him at 100/1 which was price boosted to 130/1
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

And in both areas (particularly Ilford) the Jewish population is on the decline. Barnet is a likely loss for the Tories.
    Populus reckons the Conservatives won 11 Barnet wards to 10 for Labour in June 2017, so if that were repeated, the Conservatives would just hold on.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    La Thornberry not quite as consistent or good as I thought she might have been after a strong start.

Perhaps overwhelmed by the occasion for some reason.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

Populus reckons the Conservatives won 11 Barnet wards to 10 for Labour in June 2017, so if that were repeated, the Conservatives would just hold on.
    It could well be close. Since 2017 you have to factor in another year's demographic change, and the slight tendency of local elections to be less Conservative than national ones.
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    edited January 2018
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

In London, given how the Jewish vote in Barnet hates Corbyn while they merely lacked enthusiasm for Ed Miliband, it is possible the only council the Tories lose in London is Kingston (snip)
    Jewish issues are likely to count for bugger all in the local elections. Corbyn isn't on the ballot paper and leading figures in Barnet Labour party like Dismore are either Jewish themselves or have been courting the local Jewish vote for decades. It will be about local issues and perhaps some reflection on how the government are perceived to be doing. General elections are of course very different, but given their tiny majority I just don't see how the Tories hold control of Barnet.

EDIT - this "Jewish vote hates Corbyn" statement of yours is also over-egging the pudding IMO. The swing to Labour in Chipping Barnet and Finchley in GE 2017 was impressive, less so in Hendon but there was still a swing to them there.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

+1
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Do you have a link to this Populus report please?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

It could well be close. Since 2017 you have to factor in another year's demographic change, and the slight tendency of local elections to be less Conservative than national ones.
    Local elections tend to be less Labour, as well.

If the Lib Dems can win a second seat in Childs Hill, then it could go to NOC.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited January 2018
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

It's unnatural

A somewhat unusual subject to go on, given all that’s in the news this week, but a witty exchange none the less.
    Good knockabout stuff. Thornberry should speak a little slower but she's quick on her feet. Lidington is good too.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Do we actually have any direct polling of whether either the general population or Jewish people specifically believe that Corbyn is anti-semetic or has anti-Jewish policies? It would be interesting to know
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    On Topic - This has got to be Theresa's final mistake.

There's no way whatsoever the Tories can risk having her lead them into another general election... She's got to go!
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

It's unnatural

Good knockabout stuff. Thornberry should speak a little slower but she's quick on her feet. Lidington is good too.
    It was good from both of them but not sure why Emily led on votes for 16's
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

La Thornberry not quite as consistent or good as I thought she might have been after a strong start.

Both understudies doing better than the principals - and Thornberry got off to a great start, but chose a slightly strange topic to go on - 'votes for 16s' - has the NHS not expired in the previous week?

Also rank hypocrisy from Bercow for upbraiding 'boorish men' shouting when a woman is speaking when he doesn't do it when May is up.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Miss Vance, he could've worn a red cummerbund.

Nobody should ever wear a cummerbund. Waistcoats were invented for a reason.
  • Options

Do we actually have any direct polling of whether either the general population or Jewish people specifically believe that Corbyn is anti-semetic or has anti-Jewish policies? It would be interesting to know
    Over 80 per cent of British Jews believe Labour is too tolerant of anti-Semitism within its ranks, poll finds

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-anti-semitism-jeremy-corbyn-inquiry-shami-chakrabarti-yougov-poll-a7902251.html

Labour support just 13 per cent among UK Jews

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labour-support-just-13-per-cent-among-uk-jews-1.439325
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited January 2018
    On topic, Mrs May's fate is in the first instance in her MPs hands. I assume that sooner rather than later 48 MPs will send in their letters and, if I understand the process correctly, a confidence motion will be triggered. Questions for PBers: a) Would Mrs May stand in any confidence motion and keep going if she won it, but not overwhelmingly? b) Would she get the confidence of most of her MPs?

My thoughts.

a) The "I am not a quitter" remark may indicate a willingness to subject herself to a confidence motion and to keep going despite a less than overwhelming endorsement.

b) Probably comes back to Brexit. Watching the government benches during a Brexit debate is illuminating. You have a noisy and very present group of enthusiasts on the left side of the benches, invariably containing Rees-Mogg, Peter Bone et al. You get a small gaggle of staunch Remainers around Anna Soubry in the middle. The rest of the benches are sparsely attended by some unhappy looking people. Most Tory MPs voted Remain with degrees of non-enthusiasm, probably privately think the whole Brexit thing is a clusterfuck, think they are stuck with it and wish it would be done and go away. They see Mrs May, who is one of them, muddling through and don't want a grassroot-endorsed fanatic to muck things up further.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It's third down on their Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/PopulusPolls?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

In Haringey, Islington, Hackney, Lambeth, Southwark, Lewisham, Newham, Barking & Dagenham, Labour won every ward, but those are wasted votes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's third down on their Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/PopulusPolls?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

In Haringey, Islington, Hackney, Lambeth, Southwark, Lewisham, Newham, Barking & Dagenham, Labour won every ward, but those are wasted votes.
    Ta.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

There's no way whatsoever the Tories can risk having her lead them into another general election... She's got to go!

Not according to conservative voters
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

London is going to be fascinating this May. The Conservatives might scrape through with minimal losses but it will be hard for them to retain Barnet and possibly Kingston. Richmond and uncillors in London are in Havering so if those seats fall where will they go ?

Ilford and Redbridge have a lower Jewish population than Barnet, all 3 Barnet seats went Tory last June and Finchley had the highest Jewish population in the UK
  • Options

IIRC something like 80% of Jews voted Conservative last year.

I think that growing Jewish support for the Conservative Party ensured that Hendon, Finchley & Golders Green, and Harrow East remained Conservative last year, when Labour won them from 1997 to 2010.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

In London, given how the Jewish vote in Barnet hates Corbyn while they merely lacked enthusiasm for Ed Miliband, it is possible the only council the Tories lose in London is Kingston (snip)
    Jewish issues are likely to count for bugger all in the local elections. Corbyn isn't on the ballot paper and leading figures in Barnet Labour party like Dismore are either Jewish themselves or have been courting the local Jewish vote for decades. It will be about local issues and perhaps some reflection on how the government are perceived to be doing. General elections are of course very different, but given their tiny majority I just don't see how the Tories hold control of Barnet.

EDIT - this "Jewish vote hates Corbyn" statement of yours is also over-egging the pudding IMO. The swing to Labour in Chipping Barnet and Finchley in GE 2017 was impressive, less so in Hendon but there was still a swing to them there.
    If the London average swing had been replicated in Barnet last June the Tories could have lost all 3 seats, the Jewish vote ensured they held all 3
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited January 2018

GIN1138 said:

On this matter Conservative voters are wrong.

Theresa May is the woman who single-handedly blew a 20% polling lead in four weeks - I mean you would have to be literally out of your mind to want her fronting another general election campaign...
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Over 80 per cent of British Jews believe Labour is too tolerant of anti-Semitism within its ranks, poll finds

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-anti-semitism-jeremy-corbyn-inquiry-shami-chakrabarti-yougov-poll-a7902251.html

Labour support just 13 per cent among UK Jews

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labour-support-just-13-per-cent-among-uk-jews-1.439325
    Thanks
  • Options
    FF43 said:

On topic, Mrs May's fate is in the first instance in her MPs hands. I assume that sooner rather than later 48 MPs will send in their letters and, if I understand the process correctly, a confidence motion will be triggered. Questions for PBers: a) Would Mrs May stand in any confidence motion and keep going if she won it, but not overwhelmingly? b) Would she get the confidence of most of her MPs?

My thoughts.

a) The "I am not a quitter" remark may indicate a willingness to subject herself to a confidence motion and to keep going despite a less than overwhelming endorsement.

b) Probably comes back to Brexit. Watching the government benches during a Brexit debate is illuminating. You have a noisy and very present group of enthusiasts on the left side of the benches, invariably containing Rees-Mogg, Peter Bone et al. You get a small gaggle of staunch Remainers around Anna Soubry in the middle. The rest of the benches are sparsely attended by some unhappy looking people. Most Tory MPs voted Remain with degrees of non-enthusiasm, probably privately think the whole Brexit thing is a clusterfuck, think they are stuck with it and wish it would be done and go away. They see Mrs May, who is one of them, muddling through and don't want a grassroot-endorsed fanatic to muck things up further.

69% of conservatives want her to continue and any other candidate will see a drop in conservative support apart from Ruth Davidson

Seems unlikely she will receive a challenge this year
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Theresa May is the woman who single-handedly blew a 20% polling lead in four weeks - I mean you would have to be literally out of your mind to want her fronting another general election campaign...
    There is a difference not leading in the 2022 GE and your comment she has got to go.

Majority of conservatives want her to stay at this time
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

They are not wrong, they just disagree on the exact timing. Saying you want TM to remain as PM for the moment isn't the same as saying you want her to remain as PM into the next election. You are of course right that it would be conclusive evidence of insanity to want the latter.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

The question put to voters was whether May should stand down 'now' - not whether she should lead the party in a hypothetical election four years hence.

Revealing that you think voters are 'wrong'......
  • Options

FF43 said:

My thoughts.

69% of conservatives want her to continue and any other candidate will see a drop in conservative support apart from Ruth Davidson

But is that the process? Mrs May will receive a challenge on the say-so of 15% of her MPs. It's not a high threshold and by all accounts they are withing spitting distance of that challenge going ahead. The question is what then happens.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,320
    FF43 said:

My thoughts.

I think it'd be like Major's put-up-or-shut-up leadership election of 1995.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    The Tory vote held up very well indeed in Finchley considering it was a 70% remain constituency and UKIP were sub 4% there in 2015.
    Compare it to say Enfield Southgate which was ~ 62% remain and where the Tories got utterly tonked.
  • Options
    Good performance by Lidington, now he’ll head back to the office to deal with Jeremy Heywood.
  • Options

Cummerband = see and admire my tummy fat/spare tyre/lovehandles.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

The big challenge Labour will have in the locals is turnout.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

They will have rather more people on the ground than do the Tories
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2018

FF43 said:

My thoughts.

I disagree on that. I think a lot of Tory MPs think she's a disaster but support her for the moment because they think the leadership change should happen in 2019, once Brexit has formally happened. She can then retire with dignity with a plausible claim that she's delivered what voters chose, and a new leader can be chosen at a less awkward time.

However, if a confidence vote happens in the near future, the situation will change. The danger is that she comes out of it even more wounded with the jackals still circling. I think many MPs would vote against her in order to avoid that danger, despite not having wanted the vote to take place.
  • Options
    Interesting point from John Pienar on Daily Politics - the 'Votes for 16s' will play well on social media, which we know is a Labour strength - so even if it doesn't make the front pages, it still may be effective.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,974
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

If Labour's people on he ground become as obnoxious as some of their people on social media, then that may be a negative, not a positive ...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

London is going to be fascinating this May. The Conservatives might scrape through with minimal losses but it will be hard for them to retain Barnet and possibly Kingston. Richmond and uncillors in London are in Havering so if those seats fall where will they go ?

Ilford and Redbridge have a lower Jewish population than Barnet, all 3 Barnet seats went Tory last June and Finchley had the highest Jewish population in the UK
    Not so long since the Jewish population of Redbridge was larger than Barnet. Golders Green gets more prominence than Gants Hill simply because the wealthier more prominent Jewish people moved to more expensive Barnet.

To paraphrase another response to your posts, you are all egg and no pudding.
  • Options

Interesting point from John Pienar on Daily Politics - the 'Votes for 16s' will play well on social media, which we know is a Labour strength - so even if it doesn't make the front pages, it still may be effective.

You'd have thought 18-year-olds would be particularly well placed to see that votes for 16-year-olds aren't a good idea.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    edited January 2018
    Sandpit said:

Guido (I know, I know) reckons Heywood may behind the Brexit Project Fear 2 leak:

https://order-order.com/2018/01/31/10-questions-for-heywood-to-answer

Suely it will be Hammond and the same Treasury civil servants that got the short term forecasts wrong before the referendum.
    Apparently it was cross-departmental without Ministerial sign off....so looks like a Civil Service initiative.....the leaking designed to bounce the Cabinet into BINO......
    That’s not a good look, the CS taking advantage of the gap over the holidays between Damian Green’s resignation and David Lidington’s appointment, to run with their own agenda.

Heywood could be in trouble here. Could be.
    The CS is a bunch of c****. We all know they are behaving like c**** over Brexit. But at the end of the day, they are OUR bunch of c****, and I would rather our CS behaving like c**** lording it over us plebs than Brussels' CS bunch of c**** lording it over us plebs....
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Sandpit said:

Guido (I know, I know) reckons Heywood may behind the Brexit Project Fear 2 leak:

Suely it will be Hammond and the same Treasury civil servants that got the short term forecasts wrong before the referendum.
    Apparently it was cross-departmental without Ministerial sign off....so looks like a Civil Service initiative.....the leaking designed to bounce the Cabinet into BINO......
    That’s not a good look, the CS taking advantage of the gap over the holidays between Damian Green’s resignation and David Lidington’s appointment, to run with their own agenda.

The CS is a bunch of c****. We all know they are behaving like c**** over Brexit. But at the end of the day, they are OUR bunch of c****, and I would rather our CS behaving like c**** lording it over us plebs than Brussels' CS bunch of c**** lording it over us plebs....
    While the tortoise is away, the mice come out to play?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What exactly did Brexiters want again from this? That we should stop eating imported cod?
    The vast bulk of our Cod doesn't come from the EU......I'm sure Gove will come up with something 'interesting'.........
    Yes, that is exactly what the article says. It's complicated! I don't see how us seceding from the CFP will help us in particular.

Any fishermen out there? To spell it out?
    Have a look at greeneruk.org/ The National Trust pointed it out to me.

Leaving CAP gives us a chance to build an agriculture policy built on conservation/the environment rather than subsidy payments on land use/production.

I'm very excited about it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Sandpit said:

Surely the solution is to give our bunch of c**** some language training and send them to Brussels. DExEU could be the breeding ground for a generation of British civil servants who actually understand the EU.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

So they may, but local elections don't exactly set the voters on fire.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

My thoughts.

But is that the process? Mrs May will receive a challenge on the say-so of 15% of her MPs. It's not a high threshold and by all accounts they are withing spitting distance of that challenge going ahead. The question is what then happens.
    She is not a quitter and has a huge sense of public service so if she is challenged it would not surprise me if she stood firm and in those circunstances win the no confidence vote.

However, with the polls showing she is more popular with conservative voters than was expected it would be brave of the party to try to dislodge her at this time
  • Options

FF43 said:

My thoughts.

I disagree on that. I think a lot of Tory MPs think she's a disaster but support her for the moment because they think the leadership change should happen in 2019, once Brexit has formally happened. She can then retire with dignity with a plausible claim that she's delivered what voters chose, and a new leader can be chosen at a less awkward time.

However, if a confidence vote happens in the near future, the situation will change. The danger is that she comes out of it even more wounded with the jackals still circling. I think many MPs would vote against her in order to avoid that danger, despite not having wanted the vote to take place.
    I think she'd win the confidence vote, but be wounded by it.
  • Options

If most 16-year olds were naturally right-wing, we'd hear a lot less of this argument from Labour.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Scott_P said:
    The timing of the leak just before May's trip to China might have been designed to head off any Brexiteer coup.

May is the saboteur in chief.
  • Options

Yes that was a very interesting conversation. Aiming for the Twitter audience rather than leading the news tonight.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Is the spread open for UKIP seats at the locals yet.

Where will the 2018 Padiham and Burnley west be :) ?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

I would expect the Conservatives to have a decent ground game in Barnet.

Overall, both the Conservatives and Labour pushed up their vote shares in Barnet by 9% in 2017, compared to 2014, which would give the Conservatives the last seat in Childs Hill, if repeated in May.
  • Options
    The number of homes changing hands in London has dropped by one-fifth in four years, while homebuying activity in the Midlands and the north of England has picked up the pace, underlining problems of affordability in the capital and changing patterns of regional housing demand.

Research looking at the level of transactions from 2014 to 2017 found the number of property sales in the capital had fallen 20 per cent over the four-year period. However, transactions were up 13 per cent in the North West, and 9 per cent in both the West Midlands and Yorkshire and the Humber

https://www.ft.com/content/45cd72fa-05b8-11e8-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

My thoughts.

Oh for a Sir Antony Meyer!
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

My thoughts.

She is not a quitter and has a huge sense of public service so if she is challenged it would not surprise me if she stood firm and in those circunstances win the no confidence vote.

However, with the polls showing she is more popular with conservative voters than was expected it would be brave of the party to try to dislodge her at this time
    I fear a lot of MPs are talking to themselves rather than listening to voters.....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    TOPPING said:

Been a while (47 years) since the Uk elected a "big boned" PM - Heath ?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Tory vote held up very well indeed in Finchley considering it was a 70% remain constituency and UKIP were sub 4% there in 2015.
    Compare it to say Enfield Southgate which was ~ 62% remain and where the Tories got utterly tonked.

Conversely, there were some substantial Labour leave areas in London, including Barking & Dagenham, much of Newham, and parts of Enfield, Hounslow, and Redbridge.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

In London, given how the Jewish vote in Barnet hates Corbyn while they merely lacked enthusiasm for Ed Miliband, it is possible the only council the Tories finally have most to celebrate in May. Given Ed Miliband won the 2014 Local Elections by 2% over the Tories Corbyn is starting from a relatively high base in comparison to the general election and any further Labour gains from the Tories will likely be offset by Tory gains from UKIP given UKIP got 17% in 2014
    Not so long since the Jewish population of Redbridge was larger than Barnet. Golders Green gets more prominence than Gants Hill simply because the wealthier more prominent Jewish people moved to more expensive Barnet.

Actually half of the Jewish population of Redbridge may have moved to Barnet, most of the other half moved to Chigwell, Buckhurst Hill and Brentwood in Essex. Even Canvey Island may soon have a bigger Jewish population than Redbridge given the rising number of Orthodox Jews moving there
  • Options

FF43 said:

My thoughts.

Another question. Is the confidence motion of MPs by secret ballot or open? I would expect lower levels of confidence in the first case.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What exactly did Brexiters want again from this? That we should stop eating imported cod?
    The vast bulk of our Cod doesn't come from the EU......I'm sure Gove will come up with something 'interesting'.........
    Yes, that is exactly what the article says. It's complicated! I don't see how us seceding from the CFP will help us in particular.

Any fishermen out there? To spell it out?
    Have a look at greeneruk.org/ The National Trust pointed it out to me.

Leaving CAP gives us a chance to build an agriculture policy built on conservation/the environment rather than subsidy payments on land use/production.

I'm very excited about it.
    Does it include plans to fill Rutland Water with haddock?

What about the fisheries?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

My thoughts.

I hope that if there’s a challenge the MPs take a good look around at the polling, and realise there’s no-one else who has more public support right now. Leave it a couple of years and send the grey suits in 18 months before the election.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

I did wonder if she had put on weight, not that that's got anything to do with the price of fish.

Unless it is relevant to the CFP.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

My thoughts.

Another question. Is the confidence motion of MPs by secret ballot or open? I would expect lower levels of confidence in the first case.
    Secret ballot.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HHemmelig said:

In London, given how the Jewish vote in Barnet hates Corbyn while they merely lacked enthusiasm for Ed Miliband, it is possible the only council the Tories finally have most to celebrate in May. Given Ed Miliband won the 2014 Local Elections by 2% over the Tories Corbyn is starting from a relatively high base in comparison to the general election and any further Labour gains from the Tories will likely be offset by Tory gains from UKIP given UKIP got 17% in 2014

Actually half of the Jewish population of Redbridge may have moved to Barnet, most of the other half moved to Chigwell, Buckhurst Hill and Brentwood in Essex. Even Canvey Island may soon have a bigger Jewish population than Redbridge given the rising number of Orthodox Jews moving there
    It's al going fairly well on Canvey, according to my spies.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

I did wonder if she had put on weight, not that that's got anything to do with the price of fish.

Unless it is relevant to the CFP.
    I'm entirely sure that it won't be PC to talk about it but - unlike baldness it's a consequence of choices and there may be a subliminal impact.

Basically if you can't do X in your own life why should we trust you to look after Y.

Difficult to poll without triggering virtue signalling I suspect.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    With turnover in the DexEU running at over one third of staff per year, there will be plenty of people who don't care about the effect on their career.

The unfortunate thing about the leak for people who care about Brexit outcomes is that even this small amount of fact-based decision-making will be stopped. I am however heartened that the long term Treasury Report published to support the Remain case in the Referendum matches the internal document for decisionmaking afterwards. The Treasury report was falsely denounced as Project Fear but well done the civil servants for keeping it fact-based. The other Treasury report wasn't so good.
  • Options

They've certainly been re-invented so middle aged blokes can feel they still have a toe in the 'with it' pond.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

Ruth out too then?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:
    With turnover in the DexEU running at over one third of staff per year, there will be plenty of people who don't care about the effect on their career.

The unfortunate thing about the leak for people who care about Brexit outcomes is that even this small amount of fact-based decision-making will be stopped. I am however heartened that the long term Treasury Report published to support the Remain case in the Referendum matches the internal document for decisionmaking afterwards. The Treasury report was falsely denounced as Project Fear but well done the civil servants for keeping it fact-based. The other Treasury report wasn't so good.
    It just seems like Continuity Project Fear.

If the original Project Fear was so "fact-based" why has the real economy performed so much better than the Treasury forecast since the referendum?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    We will abide by a binding motion.

How gracious!
  • Options
    edited January 2018

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

If the original Project Fear was so "fact-based" why has the real economy performed so much better than the Treasury forecast since the referendum?
    Indeed. Does anyone here know what are the protocols for firing senior members of the CS for overstepping their roles and undermining the elected representatives they’re supposed to serve?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Sandpit said:

Surely the solution is to give our bunch of c**** some language training and send them to Brussels. DExEU could be the breeding ground for a generation of British civil servants who actually understand the EU.
    Bugger that. Brussels can speak the lingua franca.

English.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Indeed. Does anyone here know what are the protocols for firing senior members of the CS for overstepping their roles and undermining the elected representatives they’re supposed to serve?
    I do.

Ennoblement
    Large pay off
    Massive pension
    Profuse public appreciation
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Has this been covered? A distinctly negative movement on all Brexit questions, albeit still within MoE

Edit - trend results here: https://whatukthinks.org/eu/poll/yougov-eurotrack-22-1-2018/

https://twitter.com/whatukthinks/status/958309412338323456
This discussion has been closed.