Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn – the new Maggie Thatcher

Comments

• Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Mr. Urquhart, I'm interested to see if Amazon set up a rival to Youtube. Apparently they're having a tiff with Google (who now own Youtube).

They're one of the few with the resources to think about it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    The most bizarre pretext for a resignation.
    https://twitter.com/imrichardmorris/status/958726108815544321
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    stodge said:

Mortimer said:

I suspect Mr Brady's post man might have something to say about that...

Edit to add: Just had time to read the article, which suggests a click-baity headline and that equivalence is going to be offered by the EU. Sounds like a fantastic fudge that the City would be happy with - I suspect someone in the know will be along shortly...

To be fair, the headline and the substantive are often well distanced from each other.

Services has always been a problem - it's why I think a CETA-style deal isn't going to happen. The importance and influence of the City is, in some respects, a hindrance to deals rather than a help.

The tale of the tail that outgrew the dog.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Rhubarb, indeed, and Adpocalypse means that many will be very receptive to the idea.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited January 2018
    Yawn - the spin on both sides of the channel for the EU is predictable and frankly boring.

Like December a deal will be done. Neither side wants significant restrictions put on trade.
  • Options

Mr. Urquhart, I'm interested to see if Amazon set up a rival to Youtube. Apparently they're having a tiff with Google (who now own Youtube).

I don't know about Amazon, Facebook are just about to launch a streaming service like Twitch and have been busy hiring a range of big twitch and youtube broadcasters.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610

Long lunch?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited January 2018
    Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:
    Take a cheque for £40 billion, payable to the EU, into the next negotaitions - and tear it up in front of them. Then walk out.

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

EU really did try and overplay an already strong hand. Definitely the right decision to leave.
    So what are you two die-hard Conservative partisans going to do when May offers BINO ?

Run off to UKIP - start your own Party perhaps (you couldn't do a worse job than UKIP).

I suspect Mr Brady's post man might have something to say about that...

Edit to add: Just had time to read the article, which suggests a click-baity headline and that equivalence is going to be offered by the EU. Sounds like a fantastic fudge that the City would be happy with - I suspect someone in the know will be along shortly...
    This article gives a clear overview of the difference between full financial passport and equivalence. Equivalence applies sporadically across financial services, so you can have equivalence agreements on investment services, but not banking and only to other professionals. You can have equivalence on reinsurance but not insurance. No country has equivalence agreements in all possible areas, although the USA has most of them

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2016/587369/IPOL_BRI(2016)587369_EN.pdf
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2018

Mr. Eagles, paid employment for the women who choose to do it.

I don't bother with pre- and post-race stuff, so don't see them at all. However, they do work at the VIP and PR side of things. It's idiotic to just decide that equality for women means making women unemployed because their job isn't on the Puritans' Approved Work list.

People are losing their jobs because of politically correct bullshit.

I have to say I find this all very confusing.

I always thought liberal progressive types thought people should be free to do what they want and that things like drugs and prostitution should be legalized. So being a drug dealer is ok, but grid girl not.
  • Options
    Well thats a bit awkward...

Nazi scandal hits Norwegian Olympic team... because of their woolly jumpers: Symbol that features in official knitwear was awarded to Hitler's training camp graduates

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5333849/Norwegian-Olympic-team-jumper-bears-Nazi-rune.html
  • Options

The Leader of the Opposition in the Lords have called for him to unresign, insisting it was only a minor discourtesy:
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

The Leader of the Opposition in the Lords have called for him to unresign, insisting it was only a minor discourtesy:
    There must be more to it than that. I know he gave that as his reason. Was he looking for an excuse to resign?
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, not a fan of Faceborg, although that is an interesting development. However, I think they're doing it backwards. Grassroots, small time, and politically incorrect (even in a very soft way) Youtubers are getting demonetised, and that's the low-hanging fruit that should be sought. Well, it's a nice idea.

Mr. Urquhart (2), these women are exercising freedom wrong. Fortunately, pro-women voices are on hand to make them righteously unemployed.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Mr. Eagles, paid employment for the women who choose to do it.

I don't bother with pre- and post-race stuff, so don't see them at all. However, they do work at the VIP and PR side of things. It's idiotic to just decide that equality for women means making women unemployed because their job isn't on the Puritans' Approved Work list.

People are losing their jobs because of politically correct bullshit.

I have to say I find this all very confusing.

I always thought liberal progressive types thought people should be free to do what they want and that things like drugs and prostitution should be legalized. So being a drug dealer is ok, but grid girl not.
    Even if we take the assumption you meant recreational drugs, don't we already have legal drug dealers?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Mr. Urquhart, not a fan of Faceborg, although that is an interesting development. However, I think they're doing it backwards. Grassroots, small time, and politically incorrect (even in a very soft way) Youtubers are getting demonetised, and that's the low-hanging fruit that should be sought. Well, it's a nice idea.

Mr. Urquhart (2), these women are exercising freedom wrong. Fortunately, pro-women voices are on hand to make them righteously unemployed.

In the overly PC world of silicon valley, no service wants to be seen trying to cater for non-pc types, certainly not a big player like Facebook or Google.

I mean writing a paper investigating potential reasons for differing numbers of men and women in the industry gets you the immediate sack from a company who supposedly asks their employees to spend a day a week working on whatever.
  • Options

Well thats a bit awkward...

Nazi scandal hits Norwegian Olympic team... because of their woolly jumpers: Symbol that features in official knitwear was awarded to Hitler's training camp graduates

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5333849/Norwegian-Olympic-team-jumper-bears-Nazi-rune.html

I like the no nonsense response from Midthjell tbh.

'Neo-Nazis have marched with Norwegian flags,' Hilde Midthjell, CEO of Dale of Norway told the New York Times.

'That does not mean we stop using that, does it?'

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,263
    edited January 2018
    Carrie Gracie's evidence to the select committee is damning and it appears she has turned down an offer of nearly £100,000 from the BBC.

She says that the underpayment of women has gone on for years, even decades and the BBC will lose any case they put to an Employment Tribunal.

This is a scandal of immense proportions and will cost many millions. Resignations from the top down should be demanded.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, it's interesting how some 'Nazi' iconography (most of it's stolen) has become verboten and other is still acceptable. The eagle is ok, the swastika (nicked from, amongst others, the Hindus) is not. The Nazi salute was depicted long ago in paintings of Romans, but that's become forbidden likewise.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    I think there is something in the comparison between Thatcher and Corbyn, but I say this not as a compliment, and I think we should remember that Thatcher won three elections while Corbyn has just lost his first. (Yes really Corbytrons, he did lose -you wouldnt think so to listen to your drivel).

Back in the 80s, a lot of people on the left said that if only there was a political leader who looked after the old working class in the same way that Thatcher looked after the wealthy capitalist class. There was a novel by Chris Mullen, and a TV series which imaagined a Labour government led by a Thatcher of the left -A Very British coup. The idea is not new.

The problem is that Corbyn has just lost an election, that Corbyn has little support amongst what is left of the old working class, that Corbyn, unlike Thatcher is incompetent and economically illiterate, and also Thatcher was a disaster -we are paying for her terrible ideological mistakes right now. Do we really want a disaster of the left just like she was a disaster of the right, running the country on narrow ideological class grounds in the interests of a minority?

• Options

Mr. Rhubarb, indeed, and Adpocalypse means that many will be very receptive to the idea.

I'd expect the adpocalypse to follow them to Amazon and further; at the moment the content producer:advertiser ratio is just so skewed that the advertisers can afford to both be picky and pay peanuts and, with a perpetual pipeline of enthusiastic amateurs hunting for a break, I don't see where the producer consolidation is going to come from to change that.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Carrie Gracie's evidence to the select committee is damning and it appears she has turned down an offer of nearly £100,000 from the BBC.

She says that the underpayment of women has gone on for years, even decades and the BBC will lose any case they put to an Employment Tribunal.

This is a scandal of immense proportions and will cost many millions. Resignations from the top down should be demanded.

One thing I found odd, she claims she never asked for a pay rise in 30 years at the BBC. It is just me or is it not the norm (and sensible thing to do) to ask a pay rise if you work for a company for some reasonable period of time and think you are doing a good job?

It shouldn't really surprise you that those that have levered their position much more aggressively have ended up with bigger deals.

IMO, it isn't that the BBC is underpaying people like Gracie, it is they are massively overpaying people like Sopel. All this stuff about max wage of £320k for a news employee, that seems an incredible amount of money.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, it's interesting how some 'Nazi' iconography (most of it's stolen) has become verboten and other is still acceptable. The eagle is ok, the swastika (nicked from, amongst others, the Hindus) is not. The Nazi salute was depicted long ago in paintings of Romans, but that's become forbidden likewise.

I wonder how much it is to do with the far rights use of the swastika and the salute whereas they don't bother much with the eagles. Or is it a chicken and egg thing and we picked these things out so the far right adopted them?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

One thing I found odd, she claims she never asked for a pay rise in 30 years at the BBC. It is just me or is it not the norm (and sensible thing to do) to ask a pay rise if you work for a company for some reasonable period of time and think you are doing a good job?

It shouldn't really surprise you that those that have levered their position much more aggressively have ended up with bigger deals.
    Surely women don't need to ask for a pay rise if we have effective equality laws?
  • Options
    Mr. Rhubarb, Patreon means that audiences can and do support shows directly which don't meet the PC criteria. A subscription service of that nature tied directly into AmazTube, or some other platform, could work well, bypassing the need for advertisers and providing revenue without worrying about offending anyone.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So today's another day for manning the pillboxes on the white cliffs of Dover.

I would have thought it was against the EU's own interests to make access to the City harder from its shores, but that's now really their call, I suppose.
  • Options

The point here is that she was paid nearly half Sopel's salary for the same job description and seemed to be far away the best qualified journalist for the role.
  • Options

Mr. Rhubarb, Patreon means that audiences can and do support shows directly which don't meet the PC criteria. A subscription service of that nature tied directly into AmazTube, or some other platform, could work well, bypassing the need for advertisers and providing revenue without worrying about offending anyone.

Haven't Patreon also been removing some individuals whose views they don't find palatable?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

The point here is that she was paid nearly half Sopel's salary for the same job description and seemed to be far away the best qualified journalist for the role.
    As I stated below, I don't think she is underpaid, I think he is massively overpaid. £150k a year for that job seems like a very good salary.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Meanwhile, in bed-wetting bullshit, grid girls to be axed in F1:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261

F1: Well, at least the cars still have sexy lines....

Feminists: About those sleek, aerodynamic car designs...
  • Options

As I stated below, I don't think she is underpaid, I think he is massively overpaid. £150k a year for that job seems like a very good salary.
    Yes but Sopel at approx 250k is more than overpaid as is so many other male presenters. And don't get me started on Lineker
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    I'm willing to be an F1 grid guy, strutting my funky stuff up and down past the cars.

I daresay Messers Urquhart and Dancer would join me if they really think it is necessary for someone to show the numbers of the cars. ;)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I love it how @Mortimer springs straight into "hard Brexit, now" at the slightest inkling that the EU might actually want a deal on the basis of what is best for the EU.

Brexit is a neurodegenerative disease. It's painful to watch one's loved ones succumb.
  • Options
    Mr. Jezziah, hard to say.

Of course, the far left equivalent is totally fine. We have a Leader of the Opposition who marches under the hammer and sickle and nobody cares.

Mr. Urquhart, I believe so but in much, much smaller numbers.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Yes but Sopel at approx 250k is more than overpaid as is so many other male presenters. And don't get me started on Lineker
    That is my real issue with all of this. The focus is solely on the gender pay gap, not on the massively over the top of a not insignificant number of the "talent".

To me the likes of Laura K and Andrew Neil were revealed to get paid very very well for doing a very time consuming and stressful jobs, the gaggle of R2 / R5 DJs are just on crazy money for far less demanding roles.
  • Options

I'm willing to be an F1 grid guy, strutting my funky stuff up and down past the cars.

I daresay Messers Urquhart and Dancer would join me if they really think it is necessary for someone to show the numbers of the cars. ;)

Unfortunately I am busy most weekends....
  • Options

Unfortunately I am busy most weekends....
    The F1-watching public will be devastated. ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

That is my real issue with all of this. The focus is solely on the gender pay gap, not on the massively over the top of a not insignificant number of the "talent".

To me the likes of Laura K and Andrew Neil were revealed to get paid very very well for doing a very time consuming and stressful jobs, the gaggle of R2 / R5 DJs are just on crazy money for far less demanding roles.
    I know many loathe him but if anyone thinks that John Humphreys shouldn't be paid more than Carrie Gracie (who she?) they need their heads examining.

Why for that matter isn't Tahith Chong being paid as much as Alexei Sanchez?
  • Options
    I think the other problem with Corbyn aside from those already outlined earlier is that there is a good case that his followers are overestimating him. Ever since June there is a widespread media assumption that Corbyn is a prime minister in waiting. Every criticism of him is dismissed as fake news. This article -although it contains some truth -which compares an election loser with a thrice winner is itself an example of this overestimation.

Another difference is of course age. When Thatcher has served three terms and had completed her career in 1990, she was still younger than Corbyn is now.

I ask again : what is Labour and Corbyn fanatics in particular going to do when Corbyn loses the 20222 election?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    TOPPING said:

I know many loathe him but if anyone thinks that John Humphreys shouldn't be paid more than Carrie Gracie (who she?) they need their heads examining.

That is a good analogy, because I also think Sanchez wages are absolutely bonkers.

It is a matter of scale...£150k a year for Gracie position seems very good wage, say £200-250k a year for Humphreys plenty. The likes of Humphreys, Vine, Campbell, Nolan etc are on mega bucks.

Especially bloody Nolan, he does the graveyard shift on R5 on the weekends, hardly prime time...I bet at some points during his show there are more people watching re-re-re-repeats of old Top Gear on Dave than listening to him having an ill informed rant.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

I love it how @Mortimer springs straight into "hard Brexit, now" at the slightest inkling that the EU might actually want a deal on the basis of what is best for the EU.

Brexit is a neurodegenerative disease. It's painful to watch one's loved ones succumb.

Bit ironic that someone in full denial of the Brexit vote is having a go at someone else.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, in Sopel's salary's defence, he does need a bit extra for all that black hair dye ;)

Mr. Urquhart, I suggested having a grid person opposite the gender of the driver. That way, as, over time, we get female drivers, there'd be a natural shift. Instead they've just fired a load of women.

Meanwhile, there's a discussion about how one BBC bod's six figure salary isn't as high as the men and how unfair that is. Magic thing, this equality. Means you're 'owed' a fortune if you're an underpaid middle class journalist and that you get sacked if you're a model. Yay for puritanism.
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been posted yet but May really does have a women problem.

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/958710734933954565
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

Weren't we constantly told Call Me Dave had a problem with women? Perhaps it is a Tory problem with women?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Rhubarb said:

Or the Tories do. Who gave women the vote anyway? Terrible decision.... :D
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

Bear in mind that the swing direct from Tory to Labour was tiny.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

You might be wrong. In radio it is relatively easy to determine market value simply by checking the audience figures. If Chris Evans gets more listeners than Terry Wogan did in the same slot, then he is worth more. If he gets fewer, he is worth less.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

One thing I found odd, shng a good job?

That is a good analogy, because I also think Sanchez wages are absolutely bonkers.

It is a matter of scale...£150k a year for Gracie position seems very good wage, say £200-250k a year for Humphreys plenty. The likes of Humphreys, Vine, Campbell, Nolan etc are on mega bucks.

Especially bloody Nolan, he does the graveyard shift on R5 on the weekends, hardly prime time...I bet at some points during his show there are more people watching re-re-re-repeats of old Top Gear on Dave than listening to him having an ill informed rant.
    Interesting about your favoured salary scales. All negotiated by agents, I assume.

Market economics - bloody love it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Rhubarb said:

twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/958710734933954565

Or the Tories do. Who gave women the vote anyway? Terrible decision.... :D
    Well in these new puritan times, they aren't allowed certain jobs now....
  • Options

You might be wrong. In radio it is relatively easy to determine market value simply by checking the audience figures. If Chris Evans gets more listeners than Terry Wogan did in the same slot, then he is worth more. If he gets fewer, he is worth less.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/aug/03/chris-evans-bbc-highest-paid-lost-half-a-million-listeners-in-past-year
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Brom said:

Bit ironic that someone in full denial of the Brexit vote is having a go at someone else.
    No denial. Just accurate diagnosis.
    There appears to be no treatment!
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, in Sopel's salary's defence, he does need a bit extra for all that black hair dye ;)

Mr. Urquhart, I suggested having a grid person opposite the gender of the driver. That way, as, over time, we get female drivers, there'd be a natural shift. Instead they've just fired a load of women.

Meanwhile, there's a discussion about how one BBC bod's six figure salary isn't as high as the men and how unfair that is. Magic thing, this equality. Means you're 'owed' a fortune if you're an underpaid middle class journalist and that you get sacked if you're a model. Yay for puritanism.

Mr Dancer, what exactly is your problem with the abolition of grid girls? Surely they aren't really necessary, and therefore as a good right-winger you think their jobs should be for the chop?

(Make no mistake: if the F1 great and good felt that the presence of grid girls increased viewing figures by 0.01%, they would be kept. Instead, expect the TV coverage to focus more on the celebs that get onto the grid).
  • Options

Of course, the far left equivalent is totally fine. We have a Leader of the Opposition who marches under the hammer and sickle and nobody cares.

I think it is because people associate the hammer and sickle with being really left wing or a communist whereas they associate the swastika and salute with racism.

Whether the original ideologies are equally bad or one great and one terrible people who now do the salute and use the swastika (In Europe at least) are racists, ranging from just people with very discriminatory views to those who would actively call for genocide. There may be plenty of terrible people with communism as an ideology but it tends to start (say with the best members) at a point much more within the realms of acceptable society than almost anybody could imagine with a nazi.

• Options

Rhubarb said:

Weren't we constantly told Call Me Dave had a problem with women? Perhaps it is a Tory problem with women?
    Dave had no problems with women, that chart shows Dave won the women's vote in 2015.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    TOPPING said:

Well then Gracie has nothing to complain about then. She didn't ask for a pay rise for 30 years, where as clearly Sopel did.

I think one issue with the likes of the radio presenters, there is little competition in the national radio market, and certainly not able to pay anywhere near £450k a year for a graveyard shift DJ. I highly doubt anybody on LBC, Capital, etc is on anywhere £500k a year, even the breakfast show which is traditional the big star slot.

I would question why the BBC felt it needed to give in to an agents demand to pay that much for some of their R2 / R5 DJs. Perhaps, because of the unique way they are funded, it isn't their or the shareholders money and until they were forced to reveal this, nobody knew.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Mr Dancer, what exactly is your problem with the abolition of grid girls? Surely they aren't really necessary, and therefore as a good right-winger you think their jobs should be for the chop?

(Make no mistake: if the F1 great and good felt that the presence of grid girls increased viewing figures by 0.01%, they would be kept. Instead, expect the TV coverage to focus more on the celebs that get onto the grid).
    I don’t think right wingers have a problem with private sector companies hiring people for non-jobs. It’s when the public sector does it.... :p
  • Options

Rhubarb said:

Dave had no problems with women, that chart shows Dave won the women's vote in 2015.
    We were shown polls 2010-2015 that showed that he did...it was something TimBot never shut up about.
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

It really makes a mockery of the early attempts to paint Corbyn as somehow anti women, shades of the Bernie bro's campaign waged by the Clintons in America.
  • Options
    On the Carrie Gracie stuff, to be honest I'd be surprised if the BBC weren't paying the Washington Editor more than other international editors! It's the most prestigious and important international posting there is, and they have airtime and have to file reports almost every night. As a China Editor I'd imagine airtime is more likely to be a weekly rather than daily task.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Well then Gracie has nothing to complain about then. She didn't ask for a pay rise for 30 years, where as clearly Sopel did.

I think one issue with the likes of the radio presenters, there is little competition in the national radio market, and certainly not able to pay anywhere near £450k a year for a graveyard shift DJ.

I would question why the BBC felt it needed to give in to an agents demand to pay that much for some of their R2 / R5 DJs.
    Well first I think the BBC is pretty dysfunctional but I have got to hope that they did at least some research on the salaries of their employees.
  • Options
    The real overpaid bod in the BBC must be Huw Edwards. Has anyone ever thought, hmm... won't watch the 6 O'clock news tonight because it's Clive Myrie and not Huw Edwards.

Thought not.
  • Options
  • Options

Rhubarb said:

We were shown polls 2010-2015 that showed that he did...it was something TimBot never shut up about.
    In real polls, women loved him.
  • Options
    Welcome to Trans Atlantic flying in the 2020s........

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/958688089249107968

I rather suspect Airbus have stolen a march over Boeing with this one.....you want a 757 replacement? Here it is.....
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I'm very against politically correct bullshit. And this instance of it has taken perfectly decent work away from women.

Mr. Jezziah, interesting suggestion, and you may be right. The lack (save Korea) of direct conflict with the Communist Soviet Union, as compared to the Nazis, may also play a role.

Mr. Pulpstar, I agree entirely. I hope the BBC gets Andrew Neil and Sophie Raworth to front electoral coverage once Dimbleby does it no more, but Huw Edwards seems to get mentioned a lot on that front.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The real overpaid bod in the BBC must be Huw Edwards. Has anyone ever thought, hmm... won't watch the 6 O'clock news tonight because it's Clive Myrie and not Huw Edwards.

Thought not.

There are lots of examples on the list like this in the news and radio.

Where as although I think Graham Norton is on crazy money, I sort of understand how they got there with that. He had massive ratings on CH4 when they signed him and although I don't really care for him, people do tune in to watch specifically because he is the star talent and at the time the likes of ITV would offer that kind of money for a handful of "marque" talent.
  • Options

Rhubarb said:

In total, voters viewed Labour as better on policies in 2017, the Tories with the better leader...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I think one issue with the likes of the radio presenters, there is little competition in the national radio market, and certainly not able to pay anywhere near £450k a year for a graveyard shift DJ.

I would question why the BBC felt it needed to give in to an agents demand to pay that much for some of their R2 / R5 DJs.
    Well first I think the BBC is pretty dysfunctional but I have got to hope that they did at least some research on the salaries of their employees.
    I think their salary research department needs a shake-up....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

As a practical point, how will the teams ensure that their car is in the correct position on the grid? Previously there was a lovely young lady with a massive signboard indicating where they are supposed to be.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Just reading the BBC 'have your say' on the F1 Grid Girls.

Almost all the top rated are against the removal. I did smile at this one:

"Just when you thought F1 couldn’t get any more boring"

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    We will need to move an amendment to @DavidL's private members bill.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    In case this point hasn't been made, we were told that publishing the pay of BBC stars would lead to wage inflation. In fact, the opposite is happening.
  • Options
    OOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!

Arsehole Brexiters making us a laughing stock.
  • Options
    The cold war probably brought a few around to thinking like that but I guess the constant memories of WW2 invoked on various memorial days would probably have a stronger effect than a long stand off, maybe a slight generational element in at as well with the end of the cold war.

Also I guess there are more groups in society deadly opposed to nazism because of racism connotations, I imagine even some of the most right wing BAME people in Britain would go stand with a bunch of people with communist flags rather than a bunch with nazi flags (neither being their preferred option)
  • Options

So pay the best £100k and the rest down from there, according to their ratings.

The Radio and News salaries are obscene, no one in the the private sector is on close to the same numbers (with the possible exception of Adam Boulton at Sky News).
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    One thing that is also different about say Sky...lets take their sports coverage, if they have a "marquee" name, they expect them to do absolutely shit loads of things.

Sky put out a bit following Gary Neville for a day and he is expected to do absolutely loads of things you don't see on the coverage. The pre-game, the live coverage, the post-game, operate the tech, assist with picking out the highlights for all elements of the show. He is far more than simply the talking head on the coverage that turns up on your tv for 15 mins slots before, half time and after.

The same with reporters, they have them on Sky News, Sky Sports News, the radio they syndicate.

Gary Lineker turns up for MOTD and presents a pre-scripted highlights show.
  • Options

One thing that is also different about say Sky...lets take their sports coverage, if they have a "marquee" name, they expect them to do absolutely shit loads of things.

Sky put out a bit following Gary Neville for a day and he is expected to do absolutely loads of things you don't see on the coverage. The pre-game, the live coverage, the post-game, operate the tech, assist with picking out the highlights. He is far more than simply the talking head on the coverage that turns up on your tv for 15 mins slots before, half time and after.

The same with reporters, they have them on Sky News, Sky Sports News, the radio they syndicate.

It certainly seems very cosy. But then like most things I'm sure it's a lot more difficult than they make it seem.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TOPPING said:

OOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!

Arsehole Brexiters making us a laughing stock.

German car makers will make them give us a good deal...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2018

I think it is because people associate the hammer and sickle with being really left wing or a communist whereas they associate the swastika and salute with racism.

Whether the original ideologies are equally bad or one great and one terrible people who now do the salute and use the swastika (In Europe at least) are racists, ranging from just people with very discriminatory views to those who would actively call for genocide. There may be plenty of terrible people with communism as an ideology but it tends to start (say with the best members) at a point much more within the realms of acceptable society than almost anybody could imagine with a nazi.

I was at a Hindu wedding a few years ago, and there were swastikas aplenty. There are also a couple in the stonework of the Indian embassy on Aldwych. I think it's great that the symbol is being unashamedly retained and reclaimed. It's been part of that culture for a damn sight longer that it has been a symbol for the far right.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Thought not.

Where as although I think Graham Norton is on crazy money, I sort of understand how they got there with that. He had massive ratings on CH4 when they signed him and although I don't really care for him, people do tune in to watch specifically because he is the star talent and at the time the likes of ITV would offer that kind of money for a handful of "marque" talent.
    Norton's salary & fees of 3350k looks fine to me. He gets some top guests on there and is less annoying than Ross was and Ant/Dec. It is his own company, and he could probably sell the show to others for more than the BBC pays.

He's a bit of a unique case.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    TOPPING said:

Sky put out a bit following Gary Neville for a day and he is expected to do absolutely loads of things you don't see on the coverage. The pre-game, the live coverage, the post-game, operate the tech, assist with picking out the highlights. He is far more than simply the talking head on the coverage that turns up on your tv for 15 mins slots before, half time and after.

It certainly seems very cosy. But then like most things I'm sure it's a lot more difficult than they make it seem.
    Lineker is fine at his job, MOTD is a perfectly reasonable highlights show. But again, Gabby Logan is just as good as Lineker, as neither provide any cutting edge in depth analysis of the modern game. Should Gabby Logan be on £2 million, absolutely not.

But again, Sky have raised the bar with their coverage. Sky not only expect the likes of Neville to do way more towards producing the show, the level of knowledge and insight provided is totally different level.

Watching the Ashes on BT, it was again really noticeable how simply just having a few ex-players chatting isn't the same as providing proper analysis. And the later is what has become the norm now.

Although Sky's cricket analysis is nowhere near as strong as the football or golf, it is still massively better than what was offered by BT.
  • Options

ttps://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/958688089249107968

I rather suspect Airbus have stolen a march over Boeing with this one.....you want a 757 replacement? Here it is.....

Woo, long haul flights in short haul planes. Anyone for London to New York in an A320?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited January 2018
    I don't think the Remainers are being anti-democratic, as some have suggested. I think they are younger and have problems with add-ups. They think 48 is more than 52.

I blame modern teaching methods.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/958688089249107968

There's something very wrong with that nose gear. Only one wheel on the ground and turning?!
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Lineker is fine at his job, MOTD is a perfectly reasonable highlights show.

He is. Acceptable.

However, acceptable for 10 minutes work a week shouldn't result in a salary of 1.75m/year.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Thought not.

Norton's salary & fees of 3350k looks fine to me. He gets some top guests on there and is less annoying than Ross was and Ant/Dec. It is his own company, and he could probably sell the show to others for more than the BBC pays.

Norton’s published salary is only for his radio show and Eurovision work. His TV show is produced by an outside company (So Television, in which Norton is a shareholder) and not included in the published salaries.

That TV show is really cheap to produce, as apart from Norton everyone who appears does so for free as they’re being paid to promote something.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I was at a Hindu wedding a few years ago, and there were swastikas aplenty. There are also a couple in the stonework of the Indian embassy on Aldwych. I think it's great that the symbol is being unashamedly retained and reclaimed. It's been part of that culture for a damn sight longer that it has been a symbol for the far right.

Heard a few stories of people going abroad and getting confused about them. I am more than happy for people to use the swastika for its original purpose. I do reverse the right to be a little bit suspicious if someone with seemingly no connection to the original purpose of the swastika and discriminatory views starts helping to reclaim it.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

He is. Acceptable.

However, acceptable for 10 minutes work a week shouldn't result in a salary of 1.75m/year.
    Except he works more than 10 minutes a week.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Lineker is fine at his job, MOTD is a perfectly reasonable highlights show. But again, Gabby Logan is just as good as Lineker, as neither provide any cutting edge in depth analysis of the modern game. Should Gabby Logan be on £2 million, absolutely not.

But again, Sky have raised the bar with their coverage. Sky not only expect the likes of Neville to do way more towards producing the show, the level of knowledge and insight provided is totally different level.

Watching the Ashes on BT, it was again really noticeable how simply just having a few ex-players chatting isn't the same as providing proper analysis. And the later is what has become the norm now.

Although Sky's cricket analysis is nowhere near as strong as the football or golf, it is still massively better than what was offered by BT.
    Don't agree about Lineker - he has years and years of playing at the top level up his sleeve and anything he says, no matter how seemingly banal, is informed by that experience and knowledge.

But your point is well made.

The one I really like listening to atm is Jermaine Jenas - really easy manner, very confident, lots of insight.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Thought not.

Norton’s published salary is only for his radio show and Eurovision work. His TV show is produced by an outside company (So Television, in which Norton is a shareholder) and not included in the published salaries.
    His salary is 850, but I used the "full" figure adduced from https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/11/graham-norton-fees-salary-bbc-so-television.

People tune in because it is "The Graham Norton show", OTOH people don't tune into MOTD just because it is Lineker there !
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

As a practical point, how will the teams ensure that their car is in the correct position on the grid? Previously there was a lovely young lady with a massive signboard indicating where they are supposed to be.
    How do the grid girls ensure they are in the correct position on the grid to ensure the car is in the correct position? Do they have grid-grid-girls to show them?

I'm sure an industry as high-tech as F1 can solve this. Although apparently they cannot stop drivers going into the wrong pit box occasionally ...
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Andrew said:

He is. Acceptable.

My issue is, that despite being a former top level player, he doesn't really add any specialist insight (and probably isn't asked by MOTD to do so). You don't get the feeling he really has the finger on the pulse of what is going on in on a day to day basis in premier league clubs.

Where as I watch Gary Neville for 10 mins and he picks out stuff you would never get from casually watching the game or just the first glance of the highlight. He knows what these teams are trying to achieve and is able to articulate what sometimes isn't clear at first viewing.

On the golf, when Sky have Butch Harmon, it is like being given a window into the mind of the elite players. It is fascinating viewing. Peter Alliss on BBC, not a clue about modern golf.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sandpit said:

Woo, long haul flights in short haul planes. Anyone for London to New York in an A320?
    You can fly from London to New York on a A318 with BA (albeit with a fuel stop at Shannon). It's all business class seating and by all accounts is a pretty nice experience.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Anorak said:

Heard a few stories of people going abroad and getting confused about them. I am more than happy for people to use the swastika for its original purpose. I do reverse the right to be a little bit suspicious if someone with seemingly no connection to the original purpose of the swastika and discriminatory views starts helping to reclaim it.
    Completely agree.

PS Love the "reverse the right" typo, which sort-of retains the meaning beautifully.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Its been happening for a while - multiple 757s cross the Atlantic daily - but they're coming to the end of their lives and Boeing hasn't got a replacement (they've been wittering about a new aircraft for years) - so the A321LR can easily replace them - had its first flight today. Norwegian have ordered 30 of them with 220 seats for Trans Atlantic service. The original 707 could seat 180......
  • Options

Sandpit said:

How do the grid girls ensure they are in the correct position on the grid to ensure the car is in the correct position? Do they have grid-grid-girls to show them?

I'm sure an industry as high-tech as F1 can solve this. Although apparently they cannot stop drivers going into the wrong pit box occasionally ...
    Grid-girl-girls, surely.
This discussion has been closed.