Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn – the new Maggie Thatcher

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,004

Mr. Jessop, I'm very against politically correct bullshit. And this instance of it has taken perfectly decent work away from women.

(Snip)

And I'm against people who think that every little change that somehow infringes *their* position is 'politically correct bullshit'. It's just bullshit itself.

Are grid girls necessary? No. Will F1 lose viewers because they are not there? No.

Then they should probably go.

(As I said below, there are probably good business reasons for this. F1 has been a celeb business for three decades or more, and this will remove unnecessary people from the grid. It's not that they're female: it's that they're unimportant).
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The real overpaid bod in the BBC must be Huw Edwards. Has anyone ever thought, hmm... won't watch the 6 O'clock news tonight because it's Clive Myrie and not Huw Edwards.

Thought not.

There are lots of examples on the list like this in the news and radio.

Where as although I think Graham Norton is on crazy money, I sort of understand how they got there with that. He had massive ratings on CH4 when they signed him and although I don't really care for him, people do tune in to watch specifically because he is the star talent and at the time the likes of ITV would offer that kind of money for a handful of "marque" talent.
    Norton's salary & fees of 3350k looks fine to me. He gets some top guests on there and is less annoying than Ross was and Ant/Dec. It is his own company, and he could probably sell the show to others for more than the BBC pays.

He's a bit of a unique case.
    Norton’s published salary is only for his radio show and Eurovision work. His TV show is produced by an outside company (So Television, in which Norton is a shareholder) and not included in the published salaries.
    His salary is 850, but I used the "full" figure adduced from https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/11/graham-norton-fees-salary-bbc-so-television.

People tune in because it is "The Graham Norton show", OTOH people don't tune into MOTD just because it is Lineker there !
    The TV show appears to pay him more than 2m a year, according to his own company records. Fair play to him, but should the Beeb not be looking to keep costs in check when they see such numbers reported?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2018
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

One thing that is also different about say Sky...lets take their sports coverage, if they have a "marquee" name, they expect them to do absolutely shit loads of things.

Sky put out a bit following Gary Neville for a day and he is expected to do absolutely loads of things you don't see on the coverage. The pre-game, the live coverage, the post-game, operate the tech, assist with picking out the highlights. He is far more than simply the talking head on the coverage that turns up on your tv for 15 mins slots before, half time and after.

The same with reporters, they have them on Sky News, Sky Sports News, the radio they syndicate.

Gary Lineker turns up for MOTD and presents a pre-scripted highlights show.

It certainly seems very cosy. But then like most things I'm sure it's a lot more difficult than they make it seem.
    Lineker is fine at his job, MOTD is a perfectly reasonable highlights show. But again, Gabby Logan is just as good as Lineker, as neither provide any cutting edge in depth analysis of the modern game. Should Gabby Logan be on £2 million, absolutely not.

But again, Sky have raised the bar with their coverage. Sky not only expect the likes of Neville to do way more towards producing the show, the level of knowledge and insight provided is totally different level.

Watching the Ashes on BT, it was again really noticeable how simply just having a few ex-players chatting isn't the same as providing proper analysis. And the later is what has become the norm now.

Although Sky's cricket analysis is nowhere near as strong as the football or golf, it is still massively better than what was offered by BT.
    Don't agree about Lineker - he has years and years of playing at the top level up his sleeve and anything he says, no matter how seemingly banal, is informed by that experience and knowledge.

But your point is well made.

The one I really like listening to atm is Jermaine Jenas - really easy manner, very confident, lots of insight.
    I would disagree. Yes he has years of experience, but I don't think he is still closely in touch with where the modern game e.g. He hasn't done any of the modern coaching badges. Neville has recently done all his badges, been England coach, etc etc etc, he knows the ins and outs of both tactics and what all the current and up and coming players are really like.

The same with Boycott and the cricket. Boycott great player, but it is clear he doesn't really understand what modern players (especially in ODI and T20) are being told to do and why. The game has now passed him by and although an entertaining voice, he isn't somebody to listen and learn about the current thinking about how best to open the batting in T20 cricket.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

Meanwhile, in bed-wetting bullshit, grid girls to be axed in F1:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261

F1: Well, at least the cars still have sexy lines....

Feminists: About those sleek, aerodynamic car designs...
    As a practical point, how will the teams ensure that their car is in the correct position on the grid? Previously there was a lovely young lady with a massive signboard indicating where they are supposed to be.
    How do the grid girls ensure they are in the correct position on the grid to ensure the car is in the correct position? Do they have grid-grid-girls to show them?

I'm sure an industry as high-tech as F1 can solve this. Although apparently they cannot stop drivers going into the wrong pit box occasionally ...
    Grid-girl-girls, surely.
    You are correct. TBH I didn't put that much thought it into. As usual. ;)
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Haha, reserve of course but it almost sounds better with the mistake.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    stevef said:

I think there is something in the comparison between Thatcher and Corbyn, but I say this not as a compliment, and I think we should remember that Thatcher won three elections while Corbyn has just lost his first. (Yes really Corbytrons, he did lose -you wouldnt think so to listen to your drivel).

Back in the 80s, a lot of people on the left said that if only there was a political leader who looked after the old working class in the same way that Thatcher looked after the wealthy capitalist class. There was a novel by Chris Mullen, and a TV series which imaagined a Labour government led by a Thatcher of the left -A Very British coup. The idea is not new.

Chris Mullin is no fan of Corbyn though. I think he would draw a clear distinction between his values of his Harry Perkins character and the sectarian antics of today's far left around Corbyn.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sandpit said:

Carrie Gracie's evidence to the select committee is damning and it appears she has turned down an offer of nearly £100,000 from the BBC.

She says that the underpayment of women has gone on for years, even decades and the BBC will lose any case they put to an Employment Tribunal.

This is a scandal of immense proportions and will cost many millions. Resignations from the top down should be demanded.

One thing I found odd, she claims she never asked for a pay rise in 30 years at the BBC. It is just me or is it not the norm (and sensible thing to do) to ask a pay rise if you work for a company for some reasonable period of time and think you are doing a good job?

It shouldn't really surprise you that those that have levered their position much more aggressively have ended up with bigger deals.
    The point here is that she was paid nearly half Sopel's salary for the same job description and seemed to be far away the best qualified journalist for the role.
    As I stated below, I don't think she is underpaid, I think he is massively overpaid. £150k a year for that job seems like a very good salary.
    Yes but Sopel at approx 250k is more than overpaid as is so many other male presenters. And don't get me started on Lineker
    That is my real issue with all of this. The focus is solely on the gender pay gap, not on the massively over the top of a not insignificant number of the "talent".

To me the likes of Laura K and Andrew Neil were revealed to get paid very very well for doing a very time consuming and stressful jobs, the gaggle of R2 / R5 DJs are just on crazy money for far less demanding roles.
    You might be wrong. In radio it is relatively easy to determine market value simply by checking the audience figures. If Chris Evans gets more listeners than Terry Wogan did in the same slot, then he is worth more. If he gets fewer, he is worth less.
    So pay the best £100k and the rest down from there, according to their ratings.

The Radio and News salaries are obscene, no one in the the private sector is on close to the same numbers (with the possible exception of Adam Boulton at Sky News).
    If that were true then there'd be plenty of poaching until it were not true, because audience figures are published and translate to advertising revenue.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

Welcome to Trans Atlantic flying in the 2020s........

ttps://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/958688089249107968

I rather suspect Airbus have stolen a march over Boeing with this one.....you want a 757 replacement? Here it is.....

Woo, long haul flights in short haul planes. Anyone for London to New York in an A320?
    You can fly from London to New York on a A318 with BA (albeit with a fuel stop at Shannon). It's all business class seating and by all accounts is a pretty nice experience.
    That’s a very different product, @MaxPB has been on it and it’s indeed fantastic, especially that you land in domestic arrivals at JFK having cleared customs in Shannon. Only 32 people on the plane, like a private jet.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

As a practical point, how will the teams ensure that their car is in the correct position on the grid? Previously there was a lovely young lady with a massive signboard indicating where they are supposed to be.
    How do the grid girls ensure they are in the correct position on the grid to ensure the car is in the correct position? Do they have grid-grid-girls to show them?

I'm sure an industry as high-tech as F1 can solve this. Although apparently they cannot stop drivers going into the wrong pit box occasionally ...
    They carry a big sign and stand where they’re told on the grid holding it.

Someone’s still going to have to make sure the cars end up in the right place.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2018

I would disagree. Yes he has years of experience, but I don't think he is still closely in touch with where the modern game e.g. He hasn't done any of the modern coaching badges. Neville has recently done all his badges, been England coach, etc etc etc, he knows the ins and outs of both tactics and what all the current and up and coming players are really like.

The same with Boycott and the cricket. Boycott great player, but it is clear he doesn't really understand what modern players (especially in ODI and T20) are being told to do and why.

Boycott should remain just so Aggers can keep winding him up. The 100th 100 stitch up was fantastic.
    https://www.facebook.com/testmatchspecial/videos/10155573595399904/
    (shorter version are available, but the slow burn of the longer version is great, and so very British)
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Exactly. And once the car is there, that someone can get on with the rest of their work. It's not complex. It's almost as though you think F1 is amateur. ;)

The F1 grid is far too confused and chaotic, and the F1 grid access passes valuable in monetary and political terms. They're not making this from an equality viewpoint: it'll be a business decision.

Edit: Oh, and btw, are you looking forward to the Falcon Heavy launch next Tuesday? (hopefully!)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Jessop, they're being made unemployed for political reasons. In the name of empowering women, women have had work taken away from them. It's just dumb. And puritanical.

Mr. Jezziah, I have a 1922 copy of The Jungle Book, which has an elephant and a swastika on the front.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Edit: Oh, and btw, are you looking forward to the Falcon Heavy launch next Tuesday? (hopefully!)

I'll take the 'over' on Tuesday ;)

Govsat 1 this evening so long as those winds have calmed.
  • Options
    Ready for government....

Labour Shadow DEFRA minister David Drew thought he had a canny written question for the MoD:

“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence whether he plans to support Albania’s application to join NATO.”

The minister’s reply?

“Albania became a full member of NATO on 1 April 2009.”

https://order-order.com/2018/01/31/shadow-ministers-albanian-confusion/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    Sir John:

In short, it looks as though the outcome of another referendum could well depend on which side’s supporters proved more likely to turn out, and that must be regarded as a highly uncertain foundation on which to rest any hopes that Remain supporters may have that the June 2016 verdict can be overturned........

....... is there any consistent evidence that support for having another referendum has increased? Neither of the two most substantial time series we have, from YouGov and Opinium, provides much evidence in support of this proposition. In YouGov’s case, there is some indication that perhaps opinion has moved very slightly in favour of a second ballot; their last two polls put support at 33% and 36%, whereas in April it stood in two polls at 31%. But in the case of Opinium, whose time series is the longest of all, it is very difficult to discern any evidence of a long-term trend at all. Detecting a shift in public opinion on Brexit – in either direction – is, it seems, very hard to do.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/are-voters-changing-their-minds-about-brexit/
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Anorak said:

The same with Boycott and the cricket. Boycott great player, but it is clear he doesn't really understand what modern players (especially in ODI and T20) are being told to do and why.

Boycott should remain just so Aggers can keep winding him up. The 100th 100 stitch up was fantastic.
    https://www.facebook.com/testmatchspecial/videos/10155573595399904/
    (shorter version are available, but the slow burn of the longer version is great, and so very British)
    As long as they get rid of Graeme Swann...had enough of his "bants"...thing is, when he actually talks about spin bowling, he has interesting insight, but that only constitutes about 1% of the time he is on air.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:
    Take a cheque for £40 billion, payable to the EU, into the next negotaitions - and tear it up in front of them. Then walk out.

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

EU really did try and overplay an already strong hand. Definitely the right decision to leave.
    And so says a right-wing swivel eyed loon.

It was almost certainly not the right decision to leave as evidenced by the Government's own economic analysis. Was speaking to an Indian diplomat fiend of mine over the weekend and he reckons any FTP with India will hugely benefit India and not the other way round. He also smirked at what he saw as the UK losing leverage and influence throughout the World.
    Diplomats around the world (including from the UK) opposed Brexit.

Indians with family in the UK frequently backed it as they would no longer fall behind EU citizens if they travelled to the UK
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, they're being made unemployed for political reasons. In the name of empowering women, women have had work taken away from them. It's just dumb. And puritanical.

No, they're being made 'unemployed' (and they are not really) because they are not needed, and the number of Neanderthals who would just tune into F1 just to see them can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Getting rid of them means they can put another six or eight celebs or glamorous people on the grid (along with their hangers-on), and that's of more interest to the broadcasters.

Here's an idea: F1 should have a raffle for half a dozen purchasers of tickets to the race to get not only a paddock pass, but also a grid pass. Subject to background and security checks.
  • Options
    Inevitably the Carrie Gracie salary story is a bit more complicated than first presented:

Q: How did you decide Carrie Gracie’s salary?

Fran Unsworth, who was head of newsgathering at the time, says she offered Gracie a salary about the same as the Europe editor’s and the North America editor’s, about £120,000.

She says Jeremy Bowen, the Middle East editor, was on more but his job was different. He was based in London, rather than being based in a bureau abroad.

She says Gracie asked for £150,000. She wanted more than £120,000, for reasons she explained earlier. (See 2.41pm.) Gracie settled for £130,000.

Unsworth says when Jon Sopel was hired as North America editor subsequently, he had a different pay history. He had been a presenter on the news channel, political editor on the news channel and Paris correspondent. He was earning much more than Gracie. But they thought he was the right person for the job, and so they gave him the job on his then current salary.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/jan/31/brexit-vote-impact-report-may-press-conference-pmqs-parliament-renovation-minister-urges-may-to-rethink-her-brexit-strategy-in-light-of-government-impact-analysis-politics-live
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Mr. Pulpstar, it's interesting how some 'Nazi' iconography (most of it's stolen) has become verboten and other is still acceptable. The eagle is ok, the swastika (nicked from, amongst others, the Hindus) is not. The Nazi salute was depicted long ago in paintings of Romans, but that's become forbidden likewise.

I wonder how much it is to do with the far rights use of the swastika and the salute whereas they don't bother much with the eagles. Or is it a chicken and egg thing and we picked these things out so the far right adopted them?
    The ones that are today shunned tend to be the ones that the fascists/nazis introduced to a mass audience in the West. Not so many people in Germany were using swastikas before the far-right adopted them, but the eagle was long-established as the national coat-of-arms of the country.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2018
    "Capita shares have plunged almost 50% after the outsourcing firm warned on profits and announced a major shake-up.

New chief executive Jonathan Lewis said the company had become "too complex" and "driven by a short-term focus" and needed to change its approach.

Capita, which issued a series of profit warnings last year, has again cut its profit forecast and revealed plans to raise £700m by issuing new shares."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42885211

Does anyone think we could be heading for another Carillion situation with this company?
  • Options

Inevitably the Carrie Gracie salary story is a bit more complicated than first presented:

Q: How did you decide Carrie Gracie’s salary?

Fran Unsworth, who was head of newsgathering at the time, says she offered Gracie a salary about the same as the Europe editor’s and the North America editor’s, about £120,000.

She says Jeremy Bowen, the Middle East editor, was on more but his job was different. He was based in London, rather than being based in a bureau abroad.

She says Gracie asked for £150,000. She wanted more than £120,000, for reasons she explained earlier. (See 2.41pm.) Gracie settled for £130,000.

Unsworth says when Jon Sopel was hired as North America editor subsequently, he had a different pay history. He had been a presenter on the news channel, political editor on the news channel and Paris correspondent. He was earning much more than Gracie. But they thought he was the right person for the job, and so they gave him the job on his then current salary.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/jan/31/brexit-vote-impact-report-may-press-conference-pmqs-parliament-renovation-minister-urges-may-to-rethink-her-brexit-strategy-in-light-of-government-impact-analysis-politics-live

Sounds like either she has a crap agent or needs to get one...
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    AndyJS said:

"Capita shares have plunged almost 50% after the outsourcing firm warned on profits and announced a major shake-up.

New chief executive Jonathan Lewis said the company had become "too complex" and "driven by a short-term focus" and needed to change its approach.

Capita, which issued a series of profit warnings last year, has again cut its profit forecast and revealed plans to raise £700m by issuing new shares."

Does anyone think we could be heading for another Carillion situation with this company?

The suggestion I read was that they have spread themselves way too thin and bought up a load of companies that aren't core to their business, and this is new chief executive has recognized this and is taking this action exactly to avoid getting into a Carillion situation.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think (and hope) they've seen what happened to Carrilion and are trying to change course as soon as possible to avoid the same rocks. The only problem is that they're a supertanker that takes many miles to turn ...
  • Options
    Transfer Deadline day just really isn't the same without Harry Redknapp trying to buy 11 new players.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:
    Take a cheque for £40 billion, payable to the EU, into the next negotaitions - and tear it up in front of them. Then walk out.

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

EU really did try and overplay an already strong hand. Definitely the right decision to leave.

It was almost certainly not the right decision to leave as evidenced by the Government's own economic analysis. Was speaking to an Indian diplomat fiend of mine over the weekend and he reckons any FTP with India will hugely benefit India and not the other way round. He also smirked at what he saw as the UK losing leverage and influence throughout the World.

Indians with family in the UK frequently backed it as they would no longer fall behind EU citizens if they travelled to the UK
    They're going to be disappointed then. The Home Office has already made it clear that EEA passport holders will not be subject to the same level of passport checks as current non-EEA passport holders post Brexit; i.e. they'll still be able to use the e-gates and there'll still be separate channels for UK & EEA vs rest-of-the-world. Why? Because the HO doesn't have the budget to hire more immigration officers to change it.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2018
    rpjs said:

Mr. Pulpstar, it's interesting how some 'Nazi' iconography (most of it's stolen) has become verboten and other is still acceptable. The eagle is ok, the swastika (nicked from, amongst others, the Hindus) is not. The Nazi salute was depicted long ago in paintings of Romans, but that's become forbidden likewise.

I wonder how much it is to do with the far rights use of the swastika and the salute whereas they don't bother much with the eagles. Or is it a chicken and egg thing and we picked these things out so the far right adopted them?
    The ones that are today shunned tend to be the ones that the fascists/nazis introduced to a mass audience in the West. Not so many people in Germany were using swastikas before the far-right adopted them, but the eagle was long-established as the national coat-of-arms of the country.
    The Swastika was very unusual in the West, so it become more identifiable as a Nazi symbol (ditto their style of salute). Eagles are found all over the place; the Great Seal of the United States, for example.

EDIT: I had a senior moment there, and basically just paraphrased exactly what you wrote!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sandpit said:

Derek from Dagenham will now be holding it.....
  • Options
    Byron outlets set to close in burger chain rescue plan

Mr Edwards said the restaurant sector was under increasing cost pressures including the National Living Wage, the apprenticeship levy, a squeeze on consumer spending, and higher import costs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42887786

The apprentice levy has to be one of the most stupid policies going.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Derek from Dagenham will now be holding it.....
    https://i2.wp.com/www.essentiallysports.com/wp-content/uploads/ana-carrasco-moto3-assen1.jpg?resize=640,426
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Samsung enters crypto-currency chips business

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42892380

Not only is all this coin mining wasting massive amounts of power, all these ASIC units being produced quickly become obsolete (as the hashing difficulty increases rapidly with every revision of the ASIC chips), and unlike other computer hardware which can often live on for many many years, has zero resale value.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Transfer Deadline day just really isn't the same without Harry Redknapp trying to buy 11 new players.

Mahrez stays at Leicester. Our owners are always hard to sell from the first team.

So back to sulky Mahrez again.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sandpit said:

rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

I rather suspect Airbus have stolen a march over Boeing with this one.....you want a 757 replacement? Here it is.....

Woo, long haul flights in short haul planes. Anyone for London to New York in an A320?
    You can fly from London to New York on a A318 with BA (albeit with a fuel stop at Shannon). It's all business class seating and by all accounts is a pretty nice experience.
    That’s a very different product, @MaxPB has been on it and it’s indeed fantastic, especially that you land in domestic arrivals at JFK having cleared customs in Shannon. Only 32 people on the plane, like a private jet.
    I have and it is indeed a great experience. As for the A350 XWB, I think Airbus wish they had stolen a march on Boeing, but it is a reaction to the Dreamliner after they saw how successful it was and how unsuccessful their hub-spoke bet was turning out to be. Hopefully sales pick up because the XWB only uses RR engines and Boeing have locked RR out of the new 737 MAX.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Exactly. And once the car is there, that someone can get on with the rest of their work. It's not complex. It's almost as though you think F1 is amateur. ;)

The F1 grid is far too confused and chaotic, and the F1 grid access passes valuable in monetary and political terms. They're not making this from an equality viewpoint: it'll be a business decision.

Yes, plan is for launch on 6th. Biggest rocket since Saturn V - and I wasn’t born when that last went up.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Can we make Mesut Ozil redundant? :(
  • Options

Mr Edwards said the restaurant sector was under increasing cost pressures including the National Living Wage, the apprenticeship levy, a squeeze on consumer spending, and higher import costs.

One issue with Byron is that there are too many of them and they aren't as good as the competition (Honest burger) while being more expensive. It's a case of mismanagement as well as circumstances.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mahrez stays at Leicester. Our owners are always hard to sell from the first team.

So back to sulky Mahrez again.
    BBC live ticker...

Leicester City signing on its way. He looks about 12 years old...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Don't worry, when Jezza is PM in a few months and brings in his maximum wage, Ozil and co will be off to Spain or Italy in a sec.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    MaxPB said:

One issue with Byron is that there are too many of them and they aren't as good as the competition (Honest burger) while being more expensive. It's a case of mismanagement as well as circumstances.
    Don't disagree. Never very impressed by Byron. Also, there are just way too much "better" burger places, and not like it is rocket science to make a decent burger.

My point though was the apprenticeship levy is a draft and counterproductive policy.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mrs J took me into the Byron Burger in Cambridge a few months back. It's overpriced, the dining experience bland, and the food good, but not worth the price.

Next time we got an opportunity we went back to Gardenias for a sloppy burger. :)

(And no, that's not a euphemism)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Sandpit said:

I've done in loads of times in an A318. A truly wonderful experience.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Don't disagree. Never very impressed by Byron. Also, there are just way too much "better" burger places.

My point though was the apprenticeship levy is a draft and counterproductive policy.
    I agree, it has shifted the burden of staff training from companies to the government. It's a stupid idea. However, I don't think that the management at Byron can be let off the hook so easily.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Don't worry, when Jezza is PM in a few months and brings in his maximum wage, Ozil and co will be off to Spain or Italy in a sec.
    Right, I'm voting Labour.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, as noted upthread the BA001 is a very different product - and yes I’m annoyed that I still haven’t found a customer who’ll pay me to go on it!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not able and o I'm
    You can fly from London to New York on a A318 with BA (albeit with a fuel stop at Shannon). It's all business class seating and by all accounts is a pretty nice experience.</blockexperiences's non stop on the way back. You only stop in Shannon because of this information you
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

No I don't think so. It's going through a rough patch but it generates quite a lot of cash and it's not so exposed to high-risk contracts as Carillion was.

Of course it's never going to make the kinds of megabucks it made from taxpayers in the Blair/Brown days (when entirely coincidentally its boss was a huge donor to the Labour Party), but it's basically a sound business. In fact I'm considering investing, at first sight the sell-off looks overdone to me. More research needed, though.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

MaxPB said:

Mrs J took me into the Byron Burger in Cambridge a few months back. It's overpriced, the dining experience bland, and the food good, but not worth the price.

Next time we got an opportunity we went back to Gardenias for a sloppy burger. :)

Ahh... that takes me back. The late night trip to Gardies, Life or Death...
  • Options

This probably hurt them too...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10145452/George-Osborne-defends-choice-of-gourmet-Byron-burger.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

No, they're being made 'unemployed' (and they are not really) because they are not needed, and the number of Neanderthals who would just tune into F1 just to see them can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Getting rid of them means they can put another six or eight celebs or glamorous people on the grid (along with their hangers-on), and that's of more interest to the broadcasters.

Here's an idea: F1 should have a raffle for half a dozen purchasers of tickets to the race to get not only a paddock pass, but also a grid pass. Subject to background and security checks.
    Surely F1 need to rename the Cockpit!!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848

MaxPB said:

Totally confused by the lack of burger sophistication on here.

Five Guys is best, but the music policy is terrible.
    Byron is excellent. Very reliable. Courgette fries nice. Constant burger innovation and great restaurant design.
    Honest Burger over seasons their fries which is inexcusable really.
    Meat Liquor is overrated, as is Patty and Bun.
    Bleaker Burger is just fine.
    GBK - urgh, don’t go there.

Byron’s failure is that old familiar - overexpansion. They thought they could ride the market, and they chose some of their locations poorly — but the burger market is overcrowded now, at least in London.
  • Options
    I see the PB lovers of liberty are once again outraged at a business taking a business decision. Reminiscent of the anguished days of that marvellous purveyor of free speech the News of the World being crushed by the oppressive strangler of freedom, News International. Perhaps the government should step in.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Byron is excellent. Very reliable. Courgette fries nice. Constant burger innovation and great restaurant design.

Byron’s failure is that old familiar - overexpansion. They thought they could ride the market, and they chose some of their locations poorly — but the burger market is overcrowded now, at least in London.
    Five Guys far better in the US...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

This probably hurt them too...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10145452/George-Osborne-defends-choice-of-gourmet-Byron-burger.html
    But also led to this classic repartee:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/27/shamburger-eric-pickles-trolls-george-osborne-by-tweeting-picture-of-himself-eating-a-salad-3859582/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, but only with another 37 passengers, not 219.....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Five Guys have great music. I was in there a few nights ago and they were playing Lynryd Skynyrd, Little Feat and Talking Heads.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

And half the price.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Don’t you find the turbulence more irritating? I think it’s noticeably worse with 737s/A320s compared to widebodies.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848

MaxPB said:

Five Guys have great music. I was in there a few nights ago and they were playing Lynryd Skynyrd, Little Feat and Talking Heads.
    Perhaps they’ve sorted themself out.
    It tended to be 80s hair metal in the ones I’ve been to (I haven’t been in a while because, frankly, I am too fat from burger-fancying).
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I think a significant issue is that all chains vying for market suffer from: consistency. It must be difficult to ensure that a chain of dozens, yet alone hundreds, of establishments have the same quality all the time. A task made harder by employing staff who are paid on, or near, the NMW (even the managers), and even harder through a rapid expansion.

Therefore you can go to one establishment in the chain and get brilliant service and great food, and another and get a much worse dining experience.
  • Options
    I think the last place I ate a burger was the Ford Madox Brown JD Wetherspoon in Manchester :o
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

MaxPB said:

I think a significant issue is that all chains vying for market suffer from: consistency. It must be difficult to ensure that a chain of dozens, yet alone hundreds, of establishments have the same quality all the time. A task made harder by employing staff who are paid on, or near, the NMW (even the managers), and even harder through a rapid expansion.

Therefore you can go to one establishment in the chain and get brilliant service and great food, and another and get a much worse dining experience.
    Which somewhat highlights the genius behind the Golden Arches. Whatever you think of it, it is brilliantly consistent everywhere.
  • Options

I see the PB lovers of liberty are once again outraged at a business taking a business decision. Reminiscent of the anguished days of that marvellous purveyor of free speech the News of the World being crushed by the oppressive strangler of freedom, News International. Perhaps the government should step in.

Their whinging won't get far. You can fit a lot of people in an outrage bus, but not in an outrage F1 car ...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

MaxPB said:

Shake Shack personally.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It certainly is.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

OOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!

Arsehole Brexiters making us a laughing stock.
    May and Hammond were Remainers.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

MaxPB said:

It's like political parties, not all governments of the same party offer the same service. May's government is like a bad McDonalds after closing time. Whereas the Coalition was one of those confusing McCafe shindigs.
  • Options
    On Topic.

Cyclefree makes an interesting comparison, particularly on the change in zeitgeist.

I remember my Uncle, a proud Manc who worked in construction steel projects, saying in 1978 that he would never vote Tory while Maggie was leader. His objection was to having a woman PM rather than her politics. Strangely he later became a fan despite her destruction of much of the steel industry in 80-82.

The comments on the mutual trust between PM and CoE are thought provoking. Did Maggie lose the plot when she lost the confidence of Howe and Lawson, and Blair when he fell out with Brown?
  • Options
    Lennon said:

MaxPB said:

Which somewhat highlights the genius behind the Golden Arches. Whatever you think of it, it is brilliantly consistent everywhere.
    Though can have a beer in Continental MaccyD's.
  • Options
    So are they offering an end to FoM and a return of all the net financial contributions the UK has made during the last 40+ years ?

Thought not ...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

On Topic.

Cyclefree makes an interesting comparison, particularly on the change in zeitgeist.

I remember my Uncle, a proud Manc who worked in construction steel projects, saying in 1978 that he would never vote Tory while Maggie was leader. His objection was to having a woman PM rather than her politics. Strangely he later became a fan despite her destruction of much of the steel industry in 80-82.

The comments on the mutual trust between PM and CoE are thought provoking. Did Maggie lose the plot when she lost the confidence of Howe and Lawson, and Blair when he fell out with Brown?

I think Thatcher lost the plot when she started to believe in her own myth.

Likewise Blair, Brown and Cameron.
  • Options
    May well have been said in good faith but it is patronising.

Report earlier today affirmed concern over the governments negotiations but apparently the EU is getting increasing blame

No idea of source so maybe someone has
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Foxy said:

On Topic.

Finally one problem May doesn't have?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited January 2018

So are they offering an end to FoM and a return of all the net financial contributions the UK has made during the last 40+ years ?

Thought not ...
    Why would they refund any money?

The basic principle of the EU is to develop an advanced economy across the whole of Europe. This involves some redistribution, it also costs money to set up a market and regulate it. We benefit if we stay in it the long run of having unimpeded access to this market without tariffs and other movement restrictions.

Freedom of movement is another principle of building this single market as economies within the market develop highly specialised hubs of services or industry. On immigration, you do realise that immigrants will be replaced from the EU by a different set of migrants from elsewhere on the planet. Indeed, the EU migrants may well of been of a higher calibre in terms of education and experience because they are from a more developed economy rather than a third world one. This matters because the more high value Immigrants in terms of skills the better for the rest of the population economically.

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Good afternoon, everyone.

Thatcher opposed the enemies of this nation. Corbyn befriended them.

Come, come, Mr Dancer. Thatcher had some very "interesting" friends. Mass murdering torturers like Pinochet, and she was having very discrete talks with the Provos, and many, many others with a dubious reputation. Even some of her cabinet were involved in selling weapon systems to both sides in the Iran/Iraq war, much to our own soldiers surprise when they discovered that the Iraqis had more modern UK weapon systems than they were equipped with to invade the country the first time. Need anyone say anymore, except to say, some times politicians have to be flexible with who they get into bed with...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited January 2018
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

They're going to be disappointed then. The Home Office has already made it clear that EEA passport holders will not be subject to the same level of passport checks as current non-EEA passport holders post Brexit; i.e. they'll still be able to use the e-gates and there'll still be separate channels for UK & EEA vs rest-of-the-world. Why? Because the HO doesn't have the budget to hire more immigration officers to change it.
    There will no longer be free movement from the EEA post transition however and work permits will be required
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Thought not ...

The basic principle of the EU is to develop an advanced economy across the whole of Europe. This involves some redistribution, it also costs money to set up a market and regulate it. We benefit if we stay in it the long run of having unimpeded access to this market without tariffs and other movement restrictions.

Freedom of movement is another principle of building this single market as economies within the market develop highly specialised hubs of services or industry. On immigration, you do realise that immigrants will be replaced from the EU by a different set of migrants from elsewhere on the planet. Indeed, the EU migrants may well of been of a higher calibre in terms of education and experience because they are from a more developed economy rather than a third world one. This matters because the more high value Immigrants in terms of skills the better for the rest of the population economically.

Great news for the Eastern economies which have suffered a brain drain in recent years!
  • Options
    Looking at the Thatcher-Corbyn clip I notice its from May 1990.

At that time government debt stood at £151bn or 26% of GDP.

Its now £1,760bn or 85% of GDP.

And they're talking about the same housing issues which we currently are.
  • Options

Thought not ...

Those Eastern European Roma don't look to have the highest levels of education and skills to me.

And I rather doubt we'd need to replace them with immigrants from a different source.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    edited January 2018
    OchEye said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

Thatcher opposed the enemies of this nation. Corbyn befriended them.

Come, come, Mr Dancer. Thatcher had some very "interesting" friends. Mass murdering torturers like Pinochet, and she was having very discrete talks with the Provos, and many, many others with a dubious reputation. Even some of her cabinet were involved in selling weapon systems to both sides in the Iran/Iraq war, much to our own soldiers surprise when they discovered that the Iraqis had more modern UK weapon systems than they were equipped with to invade the country the first time. Need anyone say anymore, except to say, some times politicians have to be flexible with who they get into bed with...
    Perhaps you'd like to give details of all those modern UK weapon systems that Iraq had in 1991.

A list of UK made tanks, planes and ships will do for a start.

FYI information the Soviet Union was by far the largest military supplier to Iraq, followed by France and China.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On Topic.

May might have done better if she had believed in what the cheerleaders were saying.
  • Options

Thought not ...

Those Eastern European Roma don't look to have the highest levels of education and skills to me.

And I rather doubt we'd need to replace them with immigrants from a different source.
    The Eastern European Roma and the like will come here or stay here regardless. Indeed I have seen people from other parts of the world begging and on interaction they don't speak a word of English. I talk to them to see if I can help.

The UK has a demographic problem in that the number of workers compared to non working people is falling. This means to keep the welfare system they need new arrivals from elsewhere. You are deluded if you don't think they are needed. I would also add that I am not unsympathetic to your view that they are unneeded, maybe AI will fill the gap?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On Topic.

She did believe in it, called an election and lost her majority.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited January 2018
    Anorak said:

rpjs said:

The Swastika was very unusual in the West, so it become more identifiable as a Nazi symbol (ditto their style of salute). Eagles are found all over the place; the Great Seal of the United States, for example.

EDIT: I had a senior moment there, and basically just paraphrased exactly what you wrote!
    And my family crest :smiley:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Byron is the Pizza Express of its genre

discuss
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited January 2018
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

rpjs said:

Thought you were suggesting your family crest had a swastika on it :D

Edit: mainly because I also had a senior moment and didn’t read the original post properly. Oops!
  • Options
    Pissed. On a train. Bladder screaming. Growing old hurts.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thought not ...

Great news for the Eastern economies which have suffered a brain drain in recent years!
    Not so good for our economy though. To be honest I think the UK should remain in the EU on economic grounds but unlike some Eurosceptic opinion - I could not care less what happens to Eastern European or the EU after British withdrawal. It puzzles me as why Eurosceptic opinion are so interested in something we will not be part of in the future.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Five Guys is good, but In-and-Out Burger is the tops.

I don't get Carl's Jr but some people swear by it
  • Options

Pissed. On a train. Bladder screaming. Growing old hurts.

Toilet?
  • Options

Thought not ...

The Eastern European Roma and the like will come here or stay here regardless. Indeed I have seen people from other parts of the world begging and on interaction they don't speak a word of English. I talk to them to see if I can help.

The UK has a demographic problem in that the number of workers compared to non working people is falling. This means to keep the welfare system they need new arrivals from elsewhere. You are deluded if you don't think they are needed. I would also add that I am not unsympathetic to your view that they are unneeded, maybe AI will fill the gap?
    So you're saying we need more beggars ?

Well its a point of view I suppose.

What is beneficial to the UK is immigrants who will be wealth creating net tax contributers and who are able to happily integrate into UK society.

That doesn't include people who's working capabilities vary between menial agricultural labour, petty crime and hand washing cars.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Once you discover that five guys is connected to the carphone warehouse it loses its charm.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Byron is the Pizza Express of its genre

discuss
    Does that mean you get 4x your Nectar or Tesco points to go there ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    IMO, the best burgers are from Wendys, but that chain has always struggled in the UK.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On Topic.

May might have done better if she had believed in what the cheerleaders were saying.
    Aren’t cheerleaders about to go the same way as darts girls and grid girls?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IMO, the best burgers are from Wendys, but that chain has always struggled in the UK.

God no....
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Shakes head....Five Guys over In-and-Out every time for me....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On Topic.

Aren’t cheerleaders about to go the same way as darts girls and grid girls?
    Nah, they’re gymnasts. It’s just a coincidence that they are pretty.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Anorak said:

rpjs said:

Thought you were suggesting your family crest had a swastika on it :D

Edit: mainly because I also had a senior moment and didn’t read the original post properly. Oops!
    Technically it's:

Quarterly sable and gules over all an eagle displayed with two heads argent a bordure invected counterchanged.
This discussion has been closed.