Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn – the new Maggie Thatcher

124»

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

So are they offering an end to FoM and a return of all the net financial contributions the UK has made during the last 40+ years ?

Thought not ...

The Eastern European Roma and the like will come here or stay here regardless. Indeed I have seen people from other parts of the world begging and on interaction they don't speak a word of English. I talk to them to see if I can help.

The UK has a demographic problem in that the number of workers compared to non working people is falling. This means to keep the welfare system they need new arrivals from elsewhere. You are deluded if you don't think they are needed. I would also add that I am not unsympathetic to your view that they are unneeded, maybe AI will fill the gap?
    So you're saying we need more beggars ?

Well its a point of view I suppose.

What is beneficial to the UK is immigrants who will be wealth creating net tax contributers and who are able to happily integrate into UK society.

That doesn't include people who's working capabilities vary between menial agricultural labour, petty crime and hand washing cars.
    I refer to wealth creating net tax contributors in my original response i.e highly skilled people. The people who do agricultural labour are also very useful. There is even demand for people washing cars, which is unskilled - do you really think this service will not be required once we leave the EU?. All these things are useful to a growing economy that is dynamic and full of opportunities.

I think you show an intolerant and warped opinion of the country we all live within. I believe in punishing those who commit crime, people who have no place in the country should be repatriated to their country of origin. This is not something that is anything to do with EU membership. The UK has never been signed up to the schengen agreement.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,262
    Jonathan said:

Pissed. On a train. Bladder screaming. Growing old hurts.

Toilet?
    On a train? Only in absolute desperation.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    The main difference between Thatcher and Corbyn is age. The left need a young Corbyn.

Its a thought provoking piece though, as always. I am becoming more left wing as I get older. The existential problems that face the human race cannot be solved by free markets and more competition. The capitalists have been enriching themselves, and have no viable ideas about government and politics. Why not let the left have a go. If the alternative is endlessly declining living standards and poverty, then what is there to lose? I don't think I am alone in this analysis.
  • Options

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Byron outlets set to close in burger chain rescue plan

Mr Edwards said the restaurant sector was under increasing cost pressures including the National Living Wage, the apprenticeship levy, a squeeze on consumer spending, and higher import costs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42887786

The apprentice levy has to be one of the most stupid policies going.

One issue with Byron is that there are too many of them and they aren't as good as the competition (Honest burger) while being more expensive. It's a case of mismanagement as well as circumstances.
    Mrs J took me into the Byron Burger in Cambridge a few months back. It's overpriced, the dining experience bland, and the food good, but not worth the price.

Next time we got an opportunity we went back to Gardenias for a sloppy burger. :)

(And no, that's not a euphemism)
    Byron is the Pizza Express of its genre

discuss
    Does that mean you get 4x your Nectar or Tesco points to go there ?
    Byron has simply had its day. The market for gourmet burgers is saturated. I've not been there in over 5 years but remember it being unremarkable and overpriced.
  • Options
    nielh said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Mr Edwards said the restaurant sector was under increasing cost pressures including the National Living Wage, the apprenticeship levy, a squeeze on consumer spending, and higher import costs.

One issue with Byron is that there are too many of them and they aren't as good as the competition (Honest burger) while being more expensive. It's a case of mismanagement as well as circumstances.
    Mrs J took me into the Byron Burger in Cambridge a few months back. It's overpriced, the dining experience bland, and the food good, but not worth the price.

Next time we got an opportunity we went back to Gardenias for a sloppy burger. :)

discuss
    Byron has simply had its day. The market for gourmet burgers is saturated. I've not been there in over 5 years but remember it being unremarkable and overpriced.
    I was seriously disappointed. I really just want a burger. They want to load the burger up with crap so they can charge more for it. Who wants this rubbish?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

I was seriously disappointed. I really just want a burger. They want to load the burger up with crap so they can charge more for it. Who wants this rubbish?

George Osborne...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    Scott_P said:
    Bloody hell, they voted to refurb the place?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited January 2018
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:
    Take a cheque for £40 billion, payable to the EU, into the next negotaitions - and tear it up in front of them. Then walk out.

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

EU really did try and overplay an already strong hand. Definitely the right decision to leave.
    And so says a right-wing swivel eyed loon.

It was almost certainly not the right decision to leave as evidenced by the Government's own economic analysis. Was speaking to an Indian diplomat fiend of mine over the weekend and he reckons any FTP with India will hugely benefit India and not the other way round. He also smirked at what he saw as the UK losing leverage and influence throughout the World.
    Diplomats around the world (including from the UK) opposed Brexit.

Indians with family in the UK frequently backed it as they would no longer fall behind EU citizens if they travelled to the UK
    They're going to be disappointed then. The Home Office has already made it clear that EEA passport holders will not be subject to the same level of passport checks as current non-EEA passport holders post Brexit; i.e. they'll still be able to use the e-gates and there'll still be separate channels for UK & EEA vs rest-of-the-world. Why? Because the HO doesn't have the budget to hire more immigration officers to change it.
    There will no longer be free movement from the EEA post transition however and work permits will be required
    So we are told. But that's not what I was talking about. There's a difference between the degree of scrutiny that is performed at the border and scrutiny of a person's right to work or rent accommodation or use the NHS without payment.

Or was your comment "Indians with family in the UK frequently backed it as they would no longer fall behind EU citizens if they travelled to the UK" referring to something other than getting through the border?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Toilet?
    On a train? Only in absolute desperation.
    Only if you want to encounter the equivalent of The Worst Toilet in Scotland, from Trainspotting.
  • Options
    I like the burgers from The Handmade Burgers Company.

There I said it.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    DavidL said:

nielh said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

discuss
    I believe Hawaiian burgers have pineapple on them. Just sayin’....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Sean_F said:

IMO, the best burgers are from Wendys, but that chain has always struggled in the UK.

I had a Wimpy last March which was quite good.

The one I really liked was Smashburger. I went in the one near to the Empire State Building. The burger was dripping in fat but it was delicious.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

nielh said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

discuss
    Exactly. A burger just isn't worth £12, plus another £4 for chips and £3 for a drink, plus other crap. Its a chain, so their production is all standardised and they are competing with cheaper places, that are more passionate, innovative, generally nicer places to hang out. In that position, you have to become like pizza express and totally dominate the market (who serve mediocre food but are at least reliable and good for kids), or you are stuffed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:
    Take a cheque for £40 billion, payable to the EU, into the next negotaitions - and tear it up in front of them. Then walk out.

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

EU really did try and overplay an already strong hand. Definitely the right decision to leave.

It was almost certainly not the right decision to leave as evidenced by the Government's own economic analysis. Was speaking to an Indian diplomat fiend of mine over the weekend and he reckons any FTP with India will hugely benefit India and not the other way round. He also smirked at what he saw as the UK losing leverage and influence throughout the World.

Indians with family in the UK frequently backed it as they would no longer fall behind EU citizens if they travelled to the UK
    They're going to be disappointed then. The Home Office has already made it clear that EEA passport holders will not be subject to the same level of passport checks as current non-EEA passport holders post Brexit; i.e. they'll still be able to use the e-gates and there'll still be separate channels for UK & EEA vs rest-of-the-world. Why? Because the HO doesn't have the budget to hire more immigration officers to change it.
    There will no longer be free movement from the EEA post transition however and work permits will be required
    So we are told. But that's not what I was talking about. There's a difference between the degree of scrutiny that is performed at the border and scrutiny of a person's right to work or rent accommodation or use the NHS without payment.

Or was your comment "Indians with family in the UK frequently backed it as they would no longer fall behind EU citizens if they travelled to the UK" referring to something other than getting through the border?
    To enforce the end of free movement I would expect even EEA citizens will likely see tougher border and passport checks after the transition period has ended. The requirement of work permits for EEA citizens will also meaning they no longer have a great advantage over Indian citizens looking for work and seeking to study or use public services in the UK
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't think there was any doubt they'd vote for a refurb. The question was whether they'd try to refurb the palace while operating it, or clear out lock stock and barrel to get it done faster. Looks like they have taken the sensible option of doing the latter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

To enforce the end of free movement I would expect even EEA citizens will likely see tougher border and passport checks after the transition period has ended.
    But the Home Office has said that that is not going to be the case.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

To enforce the end of free movement I would expect even EEA citizens will likely see tougher border and passport checks after the transition period has ended.

It will almost inevitably have to be the case if the new rules are to be enforced properly and the Home Office will have to do what the then Home Secretary says
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    nielh said:

The main difference between Thatcher and Corbyn is age. The left need a young Corbyn.

Its a thought provoking piece though, as always. I am becoming more left wing as I get older. The existential problems that face the human race cannot be solved by free markets and more competition. The capitalists have been enriching themselves, and have no viable ideas about government and politics. Why not let the left have a go. If the alternative is endlessly declining living standards and poverty, then what is there to lose? I don't think I am alone in this analysis.

It does seem that since communism imploded, the worst aspects of capitalism have been able to run rampant, unchallenged by anything other than primitive religionism.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On Topic.

Cyclefree makes an interesting comparison, particularly on the change in zeitgeist.

I remember my Uncle, a proud Manc who worked in construction steel projects, saying in 1978 that he would never vote Tory while Maggie was leader. His objection was to having a woman PM rather than her politics. Strangely he later became a fan despite her destruction of much of the steel industry in 80-82.

The comments on the mutual trust between PM and CoE are thought provoking. Did Maggie lose the plot when she lost the confidence of Howe and Lawson, and Blair when he fell out with Brown?

I think Thatcher lost the plot when she started to believe in her own myth.

Likewise Blair, Brown and Cameron.
    Finally one problem May doesn't have?
    She did believe in it, called an election and lost her majority.
    Problem solved!
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't think there was any doubt they'd vote for a refurb. The question was whether they'd try to refurb the palace while operating it, or clear out lock stock and barrel to get it done faster. Looks like they have taken the sensible option of doing the latter.
    Yes, what appears to be a rare outbreak of common sense from those we elect to represent us.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,651
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

Why? No one is proposing visas for current EU or EEA members. Yes, there may be greater checks when accessing the Labour market (N I numbers) or the NHS, but there should not be any extra barriers to travel required.
  • Options
    Predictable media reaction to Crapita’s profit warning, hardly likely to help things...

“The Next Carillion?”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/01/31/outsourcer-capita-launch-700m-rights-issue-scrap-dividend-grapples/
  • Options

Still better than the alternative......
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

It will almost inevitably have to be the case if the new rules are to be enforced properly and the Home Office has to do what the then Home Secretary says
    But the Home Secretary ain't going to get the budget to do that! And it's not like the Home Office mandarins come up with this stuff off their own bat anyway, this will have been decided at ministerial level.

I forget the exact wording of the paper, and can't be arsed to go look it up, but essentially they said that EEA passport holders will continue to be exempted from the requirement in the Immigration Act that aliens need the written permission of the Secretary of State to enter the United Kingdom (in practice, of course, that responsibility of the SofS gets delegated to the immigration officer at the passport control desk).

What this means in actuality is that a) they've spent millions on those shiny eGates and there aren't enough British and Irish (because they are exempted under the Ireland Act) passport holders to justify the number installed and b) there's no money to hire all the additional immigration officers needed to extend the full Immigration Act regime to EEA visitors too.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

And so hroughout the World.

Why? No one is proposing visas for current EU or EEA members. Yes, there may be greater checks when accessing the Labour market (N I numbers) or the NHS, but there should not be any extra barriers to travel required.
    Yet, the EU have certainly not completely ruled out visas for travel to the EU by UK citizens.

Even without visas we will still need greater checks to ensure those coming to work have a genuine job offer to go to etc
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

They're going to be disappointed then. The Home Office has already made it clear that ge it.

It will almost inevitably have to be the case if the new rules are to be enforced properly and the Home Office has to do what the then Home Secretary says
    But the Home Secretary ain't going to get the budget to do that! And it's not like the Home Office mandarins come up with this stuff off their own bat anyway, this will have been decided at ministerial level.

I forget the exact wording of the paper, and can't be arsed to go look it up, but essentially they said that EEA passport holders will continue to be exempted from the requirement in the Immigration Act that aliens need the written permission of the Secretary of State to enter the United Kingdom (in practice, of course, that responsibility of the SofS gets delegated to the immigration officer at the passport control desk).

What this means in actuality is that a) they've spent millions on those shiny eGates and there aren't enough British and Irish (because they are exempted under the Ireland Act) passport holders to justify the number installed and b) there's no money to hire all the additional immigration officers needed to extend the full Immigration Act regime to EEA visitors too.
    Depends on the savings from money sent to the EU budget post transition
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

They're going to be disappointed then. The Home Office has already made it clear that ge it.

Depends on the savings from money sent to the EU budget post transition
    But that will all go to the NHS. The bus said so!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

Yet, the EU have certainly not completely ruled out visas for travel to the EU by UK citizens.

Even without visas we will still need greater checks to ensure those coming to work have a genuine job offer to go to etc
    "Not ruled out" is far from 'planning' - UK passport holders will have to register for the EU's ESTA (and the UK should think of doing the same) - but you control access to 'work' with NI numbers and bank accounts, not at the border.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited January 2018
    OchEye said:

It does seem that since communism imploded, the worst aspects of capitalism have been able to run rampant, unchallenged by anything other than primitive religionism.

I have heard the view expressed that the threat of communism kept capitalism 'more honest'. I guess the idea being (edit: some) capitalist countries were constantly using themselves as examples of how much better capitalism is than communism.

What I think on my more cynical days is that with the argument 'won' they could do what really wanted safe in the knowledge that they believed there was no real alternative.
  • Options
    A321Neos already doing 8h+ segments.....

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/958735929396613120
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

Hard Brexit it is, then.

“Freedom of Movement” in the context of the EU means something very specific, it’s about the right of EU citizens to an NI number and state benefits. Nothing whatsoever to do with passports and borders. People are STILL getting this wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

I can't see why we'd need visas to enter Schengen when Norwegians, Americans, Australians etc don't. We may need some sort of ESTA-a-like though as the Schengen zone seems to be going to go ahead with that. But I think it's only a matter of time before the UK implements an ESTA-a-like too. Except of course all the money that could have been spent on that has been p*ssed away on the useless eBorders debacle
    HYUFD said:

That doesn't have to be done at the border though. Could be done electronically before departure, or at a Job Centre.
  • Options

OchEye said:

I have heard the view expressed that the threat of communism kept capitalism 'more honest'. I guess the idea being (edit: some) capitalist countries were constantly using themselves as examples of how much better capitalism is than communism.

What I think on my more cynical days is that with the argument 'won' they could do what really wanted safe in the knowledge that they believed there was no real alternative.
    Ironically the theory of competition applied to capitalism itself....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    DavidL said:

nielh said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

discuss
    Have you ever tried an Aussie burger with "the lot" as available in any greasy spoon Milk bar?

Not only pineapple but also fried egg and beetroot. Surprisingly good:

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/aussie-burger/
  • Options

A321Neos already doing 8h+ segments.....

ttps://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/958735929396613120

Jeez, really wouldn’t want to be in the back of that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

nielh said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

discuss
    Have you ever tried an Aussie burger with "the lot" as available in any greasy spoon Milk bar?

Not only pineapple but also fried egg and beetroot. Surprisingly good:

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/aussie-burger/
    Pineapple? Controversial.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Absolutely cracking finish by Jones. Gave the goalkeeper no chance whatsoever. Unfortunately at the wrong end. #noone'sperfect
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    IanB2 said:

OchEye said:

Ironically the theory of competition applied to capitalism itself....
    Lol, I like that idea, worth thinking on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Scott_P said:
    Possibly the only bullet-proof member of this Govt.!
  • Options

Still better than the alternative......
    Snakes. On a plane. Bowels screaming?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

“Freedom of Movement” in the context of the EU means something very specific, it’s about the right of EU citizens to an NI number and state benefits. Nothing whatsoever to do with passports and borders. People are STILL getting this wrong.
    Well said. Here in the US there are two types of Social Security Card: citizens and permanent residents (Green Card holders) get an unrestricted one; everyone else authorized to work gets one endorsed "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION." (DHS: Department of Homeland Security) - this would be a work visa or an Employment Authorization Document from US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

If you're a lawful temporary resident not authorized to work, such as spouses and children of some work visa holders, you can't get a Social Security Number, although you can get a taxpayer ID number from the IRS so you can be listed as a dependent on the work visa holder's tax returns.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    I hope Corbyn is not the new Thatcher, as it means those who hate him and those who love him won't shut up about him for decades to come.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Anorak said:

rpjs said:

Mr. Pulpstar, it's interesting how some 'Nazi' iconography (most of it's stolen) has become verboten and other is still acceptable. The eagle is ok, the swastika (nicked from, amongst others, the Hindus) is not. The Nazi salute was depicted long ago in paintings of Romans, but that's become forbidden likewise.

I wonder how much it is to do with the far rights use of the swastika and the salute whereas they don't bother much with the eagles. Or is it a chicken and egg thing and we picked these things out so the far right adopted them?
    The ones that are today shunned tend to be the ones that the fascists/nazis introduced to a mass audience in the West. Not so many people in Germany were using swastikas before the far-right adopted them, but the eagle was long-established as the national coat-of-arms of the country.
    The Swastika was very unusual in the West, so it become more identifiable as a Nazi symbol (ditto their style of salute). Eagles are found all over the place; the Great Seal of the United States, for example.

EDIT: I had a senior moment there, and basically just paraphrased exactly what you wrote!
    And my family crest :smiley:
    Thought you were suggesting your family crest had a swastika on it :D

Edit: mainly because I also had a senior moment and didn’t read the original post properly. Oops!
    Technically it's:

Quarterly sable and gules over all an eagle displayed with two heads argent a bordure invected counterchanged.
    An eagle displayed with two heads? Didn't have you down as an Albanian!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Albania
  • Options
    Any of our legal friends seen the actual judgement on this one?
    “Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2014 ruled unlawful by court of appeal”
    https://theintercept.com/2018/01/30/u-k-court-finds-governments-surveillance-law-unlawful/
  • Options
    I can't imagine there is going to be any problems in the future with this....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5336627/Pornhub-ask-porn-users-names-addresses.html
  • Options

I can't imagine there is going to be any problems in the future with this....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5336627/Pornhub-ask-porn-users-names-addresses.html

Buy shares in VPN vendors.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    More importantly they've chosen the non-insane option of not wasting billions trying to refurb whilst still being used.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Mortimer said:

calum said:

See who blinks.
    Hard Brexit it is, then.

They're going to be disappointed then. The Home Office has already made it.
    So we are told. But that's not d EU citizens if they travelled to the UK" referring to something other than getting through the border?

"Not ruled out" is far from 'planning' - UK passport holders will have to register for the EU's ESTA (and the UK should think of doing the same) - but you control access to 'work' with NI numbers and bank accounts, not at the border.
    The EU has already made plans for UK citizens to have to apply online and pay for visa areas to travel to the EEA area post Brexit. The UK would then likely require the same for EU citizens wanting to travel to the UK

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/09/britons-may-have-to-apply-to-visit-europe-under-eu-visa-scheme
  • Options

So are they offering an end to FoM and a return of all the net financial contributions the UK has made during the last 40+ years ?

Thought not ...

The Eastern European Roma and the like will come here or stay here regardless. Indeed I have seen people from other parts of the world begging and on interaction they don't speak a word of English. I talk to them to see if I can help.

The UK has a demographic problem in that the number of workers compared to non working people is falling. This means to keep the welfare system they need new arrivals from elsewhere. You are deluded if you don't think they are needed. I would also add that I am not unsympathetic to your view that they are unneeded, maybe AI will fill the gap?
    So you're saying we need more beggars ?

Well its a point of view I suppose.

What is beneficial to the UK is immigrants who will be wealth creating net tax contributers and who are able to happily integrate into UK society.

That doesn't include people who's working capabilities vary between menial agricultural labour, petty crime and hand washing cars.
    I refer to wealth creating net tax contributors in my original response i.e highly skilled people. The people who do agricultural labour are also very useful. There is even demand for people washing cars, which is unskilled - do you really think this service will not be required once we leave the EU?. All these things are useful to a growing economy that is dynamic and full of opportunities.

I think you show an intolerant and warped opinion of the country we all live within. I believe in punishing those who commit crime, people who have no place in the country should be repatriated to their country of origin. This is not something that is anything to do with EU membership. The UK has never been signed up to the schengen agreement.

Government subsidised hand car washing - so that's what an economy which is dynamic and full of opportunities includes.

Have you ever wondered why the government has borrowed a trillion quid during the last decade and why the UK has had stagnant productivity ?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Thought not ...

Government subsidised hand car washing - so that's what an economy which is dynamic and full of opportunities includes.

Have you ever wondered why the government has borrowed a trillion quid during the last decade and why the UK has had stagnant productivity ?
    Your obsessed with people getting benefits. There is no evidence to suggest any car wash operatives are getting benefits. You make me despair at your poor, ill judged and frankly myopic nationalism.

What about the EU nationals including doctors, nurses and professionals working in the NHS who work tirelessly to help care for our sick population. Do you think they shouldn't be paid because they are foreign? Perhaps the wealth creating Bankers from France who relocated because a socialist government (IN France) meant they could keep more of their money working in the UK rather than staying in a high taxation France should not be here in your view?

A dynamic economy needs to create jobs at all levels, even car wash operatives pay tax i.e VAT, National Insurance and the like - you to use Gordon Browns phase are bigoted my friend and your arguments do not withstand scrutiny.
This discussion has been closed.