Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest Electoral Calculus projection has CON 15 seats ahead ev

Comments

• Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    philiph said:

IanB2 said:

stevef said:

But if it is true that the current boundaries favour the Tories when did they change in their favour?

If the boundaries favour the Tories how do we explain the fact that 36% voted Labour and they got a majority of 66, and in 2010 36% got the Tories no majority at all?

And how is the point answered that if Labour seats are mainly in big cities, it takes fewer voters to elect a Labour MP than it does to elect a Tory MP.

I refer to an article in Labour's New Statesman in 2015 which admits that the current boundaries are indeed a partial -but not total explanation -for Labour's electoral advantage. Labour does get more MPs for the same percentage of the vote than the Tories.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/01/labours-electoral-advantage-isnt-mainly-due-boundaries

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/electoral-bias-in-the-uk-after-the-2015-general-election/
    Very simple. The collapse of the LDs has been the biggest driver of the electoral system now favouring the Tories.

Quoting GR2005 no longer relevant.
    It is relevant to illustrate that the electoral results vary with the action of the voters. A bias today cannot be forecast to be the same bias in the future unless the voters are static and identical.
    The collapse of the LDs is not an example of the boundaries or the system favouring the Tories. It is an example of political circumstances favouring the Tories which is quite different.

The collapse of the LDs also harmed the Tories in 2017 since a lot of their support went to Labour, depriving the Tories of a majority even though they polled their highest since 1987.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Awks? Seriously? How long has this been a word?
    There have always been little awks. Great awks were extinct. Until today. This looks like great awks.

May’s far too weak to take any action against Steve Baker and Baker himself will not resign. This will pass and the accelerating degradation of public life will continue unabated. Anyone can do anything and will not be held accountable if they have the ability to cause the PM problems.

The audio makes clear that Baker lied, and perhaps Jacob Rees Mogg encouraged him in that lie.

We can now dismiss anything either of them has to say as unreliable witnesses.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    stevef said:

rcs1000 said:

stevef said:

What will Labour do if in 2022 it loses a fourth general election in a row?

Of course, Labour has only been out of power for seven and a half years. Now is the equivalent of 1986 - with eleven more years of wilderness ahead - if we're comparing it to 1979-1997.

A party is often judged by the number of elections it loses not by the number of years it is out of power. The Liberals had only been out of power for 6 years in 1924, yet it had lost 4 elections:1918, 1922, 1923, 1924, -and it was widely seen a finished party. Indeed it never won a general election again.

But I repeat my question: what will Labour do if it loses a fourth general election in a row? Labour constantly changed its leader 1979-97 and only returned to power after it had purged Militant -the equivalent then of Momentum. Or will Corbyn do a lap of self congratulatory honour, announce that he will carry on into his 80s and the members decide that it is the voters and not they who are at fault.?
    You seem to believe that should Labour lose another GE that the membership will automatically return to the New Labour blue brick road of Blair. I am almost embarrassed to have to advise you that you would have more chance of the party members standing to attention at conference by your playing Jerusalem on a kazoo up your backside. At least 450,000 of the new and re-signed membership out of the 600,000 will firmly disagree with you, that is called democracy. I will defend your right are have the freedom to speak, but you also should understand that others have the freedom to ignore you if they think that what you say is rubbish
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited February 2018
    stevef said:

philiph said:

IanB2 said:

stevef said:

But if it is true that the current boundaries favour the Tories when did they change in their favour?

If the boundaries favour the Tories how do we explain the fact that 36% voted Labour and they got a majority of 66, and in 2010 36% got the Tories no majority at all?

And how is the point answered that if Labour seats are mainly in big cities, it takes fewer voters to elect a Labour MP than it does to elect a Tory MP.

I refer to an article in Labour's New Statesman in 2015 which admits that the current boundaries are indeed a partial -but not total explanation -for Labour's electoral advantage. Labour does get more MPs for the same percentage of the vote than the Tories.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/01/labours-electoral-advantage-isnt-mainly-due-boundaries

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/electoral-bias-in-the-uk-after-the-2015-general-election/
    Very simple. The collapse of the LDs has been the biggest driver of the electoral system now favouring the Tories.

It is relevant to illustrate that the electoral results vary with the action of the voters. A bias today cannot be forecast to be the same bias in the future unless the voters are static and identical.
    The collapse of the LDs is not an example of the boundaries or the system favouring the Tories. It is an example of political circumstances favouring the Tories which is quite different.

The collapse of the LDs also harmed the Tories in 2017 since a lot of their support went to Labour, depriving the Tories of a majority even though they polled their highest since 1987.
    The point is that, under our capricious voting system, how any party's votes translate into seats depends not only on how many votes they get, and where, but how the other parties' votes are distributed. When the generally higher LD vote in Tory Home Counties seats could net them a few gains themselves, this hit the Tories. But LD votes without MPs enables the Tories to hold more of their seats with lower percentages of the vote.

The SNP/Labour situation in Scotland is not dissimilar
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

On topic, it seems unlikely that whatever the result at the next election that any swing will be on a uniform national basis. With the last election seeming to have swung constituency by constituency for Brexit-related reasons, it seems unlikely that the next election will see the current sets of marginals swing in a uniform manner.

That’s interesting. I bet against UNS last year and it worked out quite well, but I’ve been thinking that we’re unlikely to see anything quite as severe at the next election. But I guess a lot will depend upon the circumstances in which the next election is held.
    Inspired by this thread, I'm having a more detailed look. I'll report back, perhaps in a thread header if the muse takes me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stevef said:

rcs1000 said:

stevef said:

Of course, Labour has only been out of power for seven and a half years. Now is the equivalent of 1986 - with eleven more years of wilderness ahead - if we're comparing it to 1979-1997.

A party is often judged by the number of elections it loses not by the number of years it is out of power. The Liberals had only been out of power for 6 years in 1924, yet it had lost 4 elections:1918, 1922, 1923, 1924, -and it was widely seen a finished party. Indeed it never won a general election again.

But I repeat my question: what will Labour do if it loses a fourth general election in a row? Labour constantly changed its leader 1979-97 and only returned to power after it had purged Militant -the equivalent then of Momentum. Or will Corbyn do a lap of self congratulatory honour, announce that he will carry on into his 80s and the members decide that it is the voters and not they who are at fault.?
    Well, I don't agree with your premise. As far as the man on the Clapham Omnibus is concerned, we've had a Conservative led government for seven years or so. We haven't even had the 1987 General Election in their book.

Think of of it this way: when the Labour Party got back into power in 1997, how many of it MPs dated back to the last Labour administration? I reckon it would be fewer than 20. How many Labour MPs today were in the House in 2010. The majority of them. Change happens when people change. And the Labour Party of 2018 hasn't really changed from the one of 2010.

And another thing... the Labour Party ran on a "hard left" platform in 1983, and didn't get that centrist in 1987. The electorate punished them for it, and they ended up with pretty derisory numbers of seats.

If the Labour Party of 2022 loses the election with 280 seats, that's a very different outcome to if they lose it with 180 seats. In the former case, "one more heave" will likely be the mantra; in the latter, we're likely to see more radical change.
    The problem with judging it only from the viewpoint of years out of power rather than elections is that it ignores the perception that a party is rejected four times.

In 1992 Labour lost for a fourth time after being out of power for 13 years. In 2022, if Labour loses for a fourth time, it will have been out of power for 12 years. A difference of only one year. (Remember there are more 5 year parliaments now, most were 4 years 1979-97).

If Labour loses for a fourth time having been out of power for 12 years, it cannot (as it did not in 1992) simply declare business as usual. Corbynism will be dead.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    stevef said:

philiph said:

IanB2 said:

stevef said:

My intention was to say quoting 2005 is relevant.

The system has managed to give both major parties a benefit. I don't know if LibDems ever had over representation for the number of votes cast, but the system has shown itself to be surprisingly reactive to voter changes.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    stevef said:

It was a consequence of the 2015 election which saw big Labour losses to the SNP and substantial Tory gains from the LibDems. Next time I expect Labour to go a long way to reversing its losses to the SNP . No evidence at present that the LibDems will recoup their losses to the Tories.
  • Options
    stevef said:

philiph said:

IanB2 said:

stevef said:

There was virtually no change in the LD vote from GE15 to GE17.

It is bollocks to talk about the highest CON vote share in 87. CON vote went up 5.8% - LAB vote went up 9.8% are the numbers that matter.

Get this crazy thinking out of your head.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited February 2018
    justin124 said:

Substantial Labour gains at SNP expense would remove the Tory advantage alluded to here.

25 SLab gains from the SNP was your last (& much repeated) prediction wasn't it?
  • Options
    OchEye said:

stevef said:

rcs1000 said:

stevef said:

You seem to believe that should Labour lose another GE that the membership will automatically return to the New Labour blue brick road of Blair. I am almost embarrassed to have to advise you that you would have more chance of the party members standing to attention at conference by your playing Jerusalem on a kazoo up your backside. At least 450,000 of the new and re-signed membership out of the 600,000 will firmly disagree with you, that is called democracy. I will defend your right are have the freedom to speak, but you also should understand that others have the freedom to ignore you if they think that what you say is rubbish
    No, I dont think it would -or should -return to Blairism. Blairism and Corbynism are both factions which have captured Labour from the mainstream of Attlee Wilson and Smith. What I believe will happen if Labour loses for a fourth time is that Corbynism will come to an end. No return to Blairism, but a return to mainstream Labour -True Labour-which has not controlled the Labour Party since 1994.

You talk about democracy. Remember, Labour MPs represent millions of voters who far outnumber the millions of party members. Remember too that those party members are not all hard line Corbynistas. Most of them will in the end tire of losing elections. General elections are also about democracy, and if the voters keep rejecting Labour, Labourt members -who allegedly believe in democracy, should listen to the democratic will of the People.Remember too, since you are so fond of glibly referring to democracy that Momentum members were elected to the NEC recently on a 12% turnout. Some democracy.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Substantial Labour gains at SNP expense would remove the Tory advantage alluded to here.

25 SLab gains from the SNP was your last (& much repeated) prediction wasn't it?
    20 gains to take Labour to 25 - 30 seats in Scotland. I stand by that.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    stevef said:

In principle it is quite simple. If votes aren't distributed evenly then the result will always favour one party or another, and who it favours is pretty random. UKIP did particularly badly in 2015 for example. If voters were identical in every constituency every general election would result in a house comprised of only one party.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I asked you previously if you're a betting man but you didn't reply. Any update on that?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    tlg86 said:

On topic, it seems unlikely that whatever the result at the next election that any swing will be on a uniform national basis. With the last election seeming to have swung constituency by constituency for Brexit-related reasons, it seems unlikely that the next election will see the current sets of marginals swing in a uniform manner.

That’s interesting. I bet against UNS last year and it worked out quite well, but I’ve been thinking that we’re unlikely to see anything quite as severe at the next election. But I guess a lot will depend upon the circumstances in which the next election is held.
    Corbyn and May both did very well in numbers of votes and both IMO constructed unusual voting coalitions (which Brexit may have helped)

Next time round I suspect there will be at least one different leader.
    Also the situation in Scotland will likely be different?
    Plus things might go back to more normal voting coalitions...

So all in all I think UNS from where we are won’t hold.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,856

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I asked you previously if you're a betting man but you didn't reply. Any update on that?
    like taking candy from a baby
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stevef said:

rcs1000 said:

stevef said:

Well, I don't agree with your premise. As far as the man on the Clapham Omnibus is concerned, we've had a Conservative led government for seven years or so. We haven't even had the 1987 General Election in their book.

Think of of it this way: when the Labour Party got back into power in 1997, how many of it MPs dated back to the last Labour administration? I reckon it would be fewer than 20. How many Labour MPs today were in the House in 2010. The majority of them. Change happens when people change. And the Labour Party of 2018 hasn't really changed from the one of 2010.

And another thing... the Labour Party ran on a "hard left" platform in 1983, and didn't get that centrist in 1987. The electorate punished them for it, and they ended up with pretty derisory numbers of seats.

If the Labour Party of 2022 loses the election with 280 seats, that's a very different outcome to if they lose it with 180 seats. In the former case, "one more heave" will likely be the mantra; in the latter, we're likely to see more radical change.
    We are only a few days away from having had a Tory-led Government for 7 years and 8 months. In terms of the 1979 Government we are at the equivalent point to the cusp of 1986/1987 - just a few weeks from the Greenwich by election lost by Labour to Rosie Barnes of the SDP. Had it not been for that by election , the 1987 result might well have been a fair bit closer because its main effect was to boost the Alliance at Labour expense in the Spring of 1987 whilst helping the Tories to extend their polling lead. Had that not occurred , the Tory lead might have been too small to give Thatcher the confidence to opt for an election in June that year.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I have never been a betting man - despite my instincts re-Scotland having been correct in 2017 when I predicted 4 or 5 Labour MPs .
  • Options
    Has the 'senior minister' denounced May yet?
  • Options
    I think when (yes when) Labour loses the 2022 election -its fourth defeat in succession, it will mean the end of both Corbynism and Blairism (the two factions which grabbed the party from either end after 1994), and there will be a return to the mainstream Labour of Attlee Wilson and Smith which has not controlled Labour since 1994.

Corbyn supporters seem to think they have the party membership in the bag. But I believe that the majority of Labour members even now are not hard line Corbynistas, and that the majority of them will tire of losing elections -without wishing to return to Blairism -and will return to mainstream Labour of neither Corbynista hard left, or Blairite right. A return to the Labour of Wilson Attlee and Smith, and I think someone like Emily Thornberry or another will take it there.

There will also have to be a hard and ruthless battle with Militant....sorry I mean Momentum.

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

The time for an alternative voting system is upon us.
    I suspect Prime Minister Corbyn will initiate reform, sans a plebiscite.

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/958456855050838017
    The problem with that question is that the present system does not produce effective government.
    If yoou want evidence, look around you.
    PClipp said:

The time for an alternative voting system is upon us.
    I suspect Prime Minister Corbyn will initiate reform, sans a plebiscite.

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/958456855050838017
    The problem with that question is that the present system does not produce effective government.
    If you want evidence, look around you.
    So your answer is to introduce a system which causes this sort of ineffective mess all the time rather than rarely
    The problem with the present voting system is that it is an attempt to force people into one of two straight-jackets. The result is that the present Conservative Party (and the Labour Party too) is an unholy mish-mash of unreconciled and even antagonistic tendencies. As such, they cannot do anything without upsetting masses of their own supporters.

Both May`s Conservatives and Corbyn`s Labour are excellent examples of this. The only way they can win support is to be all things to all men while in opposition, and demonise the other group.

The Coalition Government was much stronger and much more sensible, and we need more governments like that.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Scott_P said:
    Great - a competition. I guess that Brexitism is really about reversing decimalisation.

What's the prize for the first right answer?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

A week on ConHome
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Scott_P said:

A week on ConHome
    Scott_P said:

A week on ConHome
    I think that I would fail their admissions policy!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    edited February 2018

stevef said:

In principle it is quite simple. If votes aren't distributed evenly then the result will always favour one party or another, and who it favours is pretty random. UKIP did particularly badly in 2015 for example. If voters were identical in every constituency every general election would result in a house comprised of only one party.
    The shift away from class and toward age as the principal correlation with voting behaviour ought to make our voting system more unfair, for the reason you give (since class is more geographically heterogenous than age). It didn't, last time, because the vote shares for the two parties were so close. But an age-differentiated election in which one party or the other establishes a clear vote share lead is likely to lead to an overwhelming and disproportionate victory.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Scott_P said:
    'Modern history' means it is not quite as vicious an analysis as might be expected.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    'Modern history' means it is not quite as vicious an analysis as might be expected.
    "Modern history" means since the fall of the Roman Empire. So the condemnation of the present government is pretty drastic.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Modern history is generally taken as beginning in the middle of the fifteenth century.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Scott_P said:
    Isn't it more an issue with a London centric pro remain civil service that has very little understanding of the world or public attitudes outside the M25.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Plainly, it isn't the worst government in modern history.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Modern history is generally taken as beginning in the middle of the fifteenth century.
    When I studied history late fifteenth early sixteenth century was indeed taken as the beginnings of the early modern period, but I don't think that everyday usage from regular people regards modern history in such broad terms. While I agree with that definition, i cannot help but think that most people reading it would not see the phrase modern history as applying across such a wide stretch of time, and thus limit its impact. Honestly, while more hyperbolic, simply saying worse in history would probably work better. Worst in UK history even better, since it clearly cuts off the period it applies to, while implying something even greater.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Labour share is practically the same as the general election with this new ElectoralCalculus foreast, 41.1% as against 41.0%. Tories losing a bit to UKIP is the only significant change, but UKIP only contested half the seats last time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    AndyJS said:

The Labour share is practically the same as the general election with this new ElectoralCalculus foreast, 41.1% as against 41.0%. Tories losing a bit to UKIP is the only significant change, but UKIP only contested half the seats last time.

Tricky to see a kipper revival. Reading the tea leaves looks like May is quite popular amongst leavers still
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    The rule is: no hyperbole is too strong when it comes to Brexit.
  • Options
    Not particularly good news for Labour in Scotland according to the latest ElectoralCalculus polling average in Scotland, which has Labour staying at 7 seats, the SNP up 2 seats, and the Tories down 2 seats:

https://twitter.com/ElectCalculus/status/959010517498122240
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,940
    Scott_P said:
    It is his final tweets that are the most instructive. And I quote:

Brexiters don't like the EU because its institutions get in the way of a national majority. They make radical changes of policy difficult, and government less responsive to the people's temporary will.

That is in fact their intended purpose. To secure peace and wealth in Europe by tempering the people's desires through institutions. They were created after the alternative was tested to destruction.

This can be read in a different way:

People don't like the EU because it reduces actual accountability, paying lip service to the democratic institutions of individual nations while actually rendering them useless via supranational institutions that are accountable, at best, to themselves and a limited elite, who are far more susceptible to takeover by narrow sectional interests than a broader polis.

(And he's right here with this line) That is, in fact, their intendend purpose.

To transfer power away from democratically accountable institutions and replace them with a narrow grouping of individuals who believe they know what's best for all of us. To, in effect, "temper the desires" of the proleteriat, who don't know what's good for them.

And as far as "the alternative was tested to destruction", let us remember that democracy is the least worst system of government.

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    IanB2 said:

stevef said:

The shift away from class and toward age as the principal correlation with voting behaviour ought to make our voting system more unfair, for the reason you give (since class is more geographically heterogenous than age). It didn't, last time, because the vote shares for the two parties were so close. But an age-differentiated election in which one party or the other establishes a clear vote share lead is likely to lead to an overwhelming and disproportionate victory.
    @rcs1000 makes some good points about past electorates rejecting left-wing manifestos. Adding those comments with your own shows why a left-wing manifesto may well be attractive to present electorates.

Past electorates had ring-side seats for the effects of communist governments. Present electorates do not have that experience.

I think the election of a left-wing government is very likely at the next GE, whenever that happens.

It will be really interesting to see how a left-wing government manages its policies in present-day circumstances. People have so much & take so much for granted. ISTM that in itself will constrain a left-wing government in unexpected ways.

(Good evening, everybody.)
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

Brexiters don't like the EU because its institutions get in the way of a national majority. They make radical changes of policy difficult, and government less responsive to the people's temporary will.

That is in fact their intended purpose. To secure peace and wealth in Europe by tempering the people's desires through institutions. They were created after the alternative was tested to destruction.

People don't like the EU because it reduces actual accountability, paying lip service to the democratic institutions of individual nations while actually rendering them useless via supranational institutions that are accountable, at best, to themselves and a limited elite, who are far more susceptible to takeover by narrow sectional interests than a broader polis.

To transfer power away from democratically accountable institutions and replace them with a narrow grouping of individuals who believe they know what's best for all of us. To, in effect, "temper the desires" of the proleteriat, who don't know what's good for them.

And as far as "the alternative was tested to destruction", let us remember that democracy is the least worst system of government.

The alternative was brutal dictatorships that destroyed institutions, not democratic governance.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Rumours the LDs could cause an upset in Sunderland Pallion by-election tonight.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    For sure, we've had economic collapse, food rotting in the fields, Scotland breaking away, and mass racism. When those have all proved false, where do you go from there?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    AndyJS said:
    Attention seeking.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    AndyJS said:
    Very good publicity stunt. I saw some similar paintings on Uni Challenge the other day and wondered if something like this might happen.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    The fear is that servants will get over-excited, when they look upon this painting.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    At first reading it seems like they want to encourage debate about such pieces of art and challenge the way they have been read...by removing them, a surefire way to encourage debate. But it may well be more complicated.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    This government (and opposition) could be the one which has had the most hyperbolic commentary.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Not particularly good news for Labour in Scotland according to the latest ElectoralCalculus polling average in Scotland, which has Labour staying at 7 seats, the SNP up 2 seats, and the Tories down 2 seats:

https://twitter.com/ElectCalculus/status/959010517498122240

No further SNP drop? A shame.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Has the 'senior minister' denounced May yet?

LOL.

All this spin is just like when Remainers said they were going to halt the Brexit legislation.

If you're loud about it, it's because you don't have the numbers. If you trail something beforehand as being a huge intervention, it's because it isn't that significant.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Scott_P said:
    A strange episode all round. Clearly Baker and Mogg arranged the question beforehand.
    To what end? To discredit the Treasury? Hardly seems necessary... the Brexiteers already don’t trust civil servants...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited February 2018
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I have never been a betting man - despite my instincts re-Scotland having been correct in 2017 when I predicted 4 or 5 Labour MPs .
    Strange then that you come to a site based around betting, though I'm sure your repeated predictions for major success for SLab and odd obsession with bastards are appreciated by some.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:

The alternative was brutal dictatorships that destroyed institutions, not democratic governance.
    Indeed. The original "thread" is an argument for benevolent dictatorship. Which of course left unchecked will eventually become a malevolent one. I would rather live in an imperfect world in which I have a say than a "perfect" one in which I have no voice.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    A Customs union rather than the Customs union.

Which, as almost everyone has been saying all along, was the most probable result of Brexit.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Scott_P said:
    I seriously struggle to see why we would want a trade deal with the EU which only covered goods at all. How could such a deal possibly work to our benefit given the trade balance? If they continue to allow free access for our service industries it just might be worth it having but it would still be seriously expensive.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,298
    edited February 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Yes, all very odd. It's this leaked Brexit assessment paper that seems to be at the root of all this: it's put the willies up the Leavers in a way we've not hitherto seen. And understandably so. Airy talk about sovereignty is one thing; if you start pursuing policies that will actively impoverish the citizenship then that's another thing entirely. No wonder they're lashing out.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That appears to the worst of all worlds.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yes, all very odd. It's this leaked Brexit assessment paper that seems to be at the root of all this: it's put the willies up the Leavers in a way we've not hitherto seen. And understandably so. Airy talk about sovereignty is one thing; if you start pursuing policies that will actively impoverish the citizenship then that's another thing entirely. No wonder they're lashing out.
    If we accept you premise, slower growth is still not impoverishment.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    It's just as well that the economy is perfuming well.
  • Options
    Sky continuing with their torrent of woes for TM but my instinct is telling me that this is doing her no harm and that she is garnering support for her negotiations from the public.

Last time I felt my instincts like this was the night of the GE when I became convinced she would not get a majority

I was right then and maybe right now
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Which, as almost everyone has been saying all along, was the most probable result of Brexit.
    No! No! Its a Scoop! Its a 'climbdown'.......couldn't possibly match 'close relationship with as frictionless as possible trade'........
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    And performing as well !!!!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149

Scott_P said:
    It should have been seriously considered (and rejected) from day 1.
    More like poop than scoop.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Smells great!
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

No! No! Its a Scoop! Its a 'climbdown'.......couldn't possibly match 'close relationship with as frictionless as possible trade'........
    :)

• Options
    geoffw said:

Scott_P said:
    It should have been seriously considered (and rejected) from day 1.
    More like poop than scoop.
    It is amazing that every bit of information is jumped on as real or not by whichever side it favours in a frenzy of noise.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Smells great!
    If somebody had said, immediately prior to the vote in 2016, that in the next 18 months, the economy overall would grow by 2.8%, that employment would be up by 400,000, that manufacturing would be up by 4%, that exports would surge, that public borrowing would fall sharply, this would have been dismissed as stupid Leave propaganda.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    We spend much more on aid than Germany or France.
    We prefer to buy from ngos/UN/private sector whilst Germany prefers to do work in house. A cynic might say that Germany provides a lot of employment to German aid workers...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Smells great!
    If somebody had said, immediately prior to the vote in 2016, that in the next 18 months, the economy overall would grow by 2.8%, that employment would be up by 400,000, that manufacturing would be up by 4%, that exports would surge, that public borrowing would fall sharply, this would have been dismissed as stupid Leave propaganda.
    +1
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Interesting. Of course, any form of customs union with the EU - whether it differs from the current arrangement or not - is a million miles from the 'Clean Brexit' Boris and co. were demanding several months back. So perhaps the Ultras, Rees-Mogg aside, have genuinely been put back in their box. We shall see.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Smells great!
    Indeed. Yet another demonstration that domestic policies (in this case depreciation) are of a completely different scale from any possible Brexit effects.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Smells great!
    The same could be said about expectations for the US and for the Eurozone. The fact remains that, in relative terms, the UK is lagging behind.
  • Options
    Wow, Corbz Labour wants to take land without market compensation now...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/01/labour-plans-landowners-sell-state-fraction-value
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,371
    edited February 2018
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Smells great!
    A tribute to George Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the economy he bequeathed Mrs May.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018
    Mortimer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/01/labour-plans-landowners-sell-state-fraction-value

Once a Marxist....always a Marxist...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Well he is a marxist
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Smells great!
    The same could be said about expectations for the US and for the Eurozone. The fact remains that, in relative terms, the UK is lagging behind.
    There will always be some quarters in which our economy grows more slowly than the average. And some quarters when it grows faster.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Article also points out Tories like Boles are also proposing something similar which is interesting.
    I suspect the Tories could never get this through - too many landowning supporters.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Mortimer said:

Article also points out Tories like Boles are also proposing something similar which is interesting.
    I suspect the Tories could never get this through - too many landowning supporters.
    The Tories are not daft enough to suggest it but a tax on this land is a different matter
  • Options

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Smells great!
    A tribute to George Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the economy he bequeathed Mrs May.
    Indeed. George left us in good enough stead to withstand the trauma of the referendum result. But that was ultimately only a psychological blow: all the structures and institutions of Britain's EU membership are still in place. Only once they are torn down can we see the true resilience of George's fortress economy.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Isn't this just a distinction without a difference?

How about we go the whole hog and choose to stay in "a" European union, rather than "the" European Union?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Anywho, if keeping Customs Union status (whether it's "a" or "the") is true, then it's good news IMO.

There was probably a democratic necessity to end full Single Market membership, since (rightly or wrongly) people felt that they were voting for less immigration. But I maintain that there was virtually nobody voting to "do trade deals around the world" or whatever.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Isn't this just a distinction without a difference?

How about we go the whole hog and choose to stay in "a" European union, rather than "the" European Union?
    No, it isn't.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Anywho, if keeping Customs Union status (whether it's "a" or "the") is true, then it's good news IMO.

There was probably a democratic necessity to end full Single Market membership, since (rightly or wrongly) people felt that they were voting for less immigration. But I maintain that there was virtually nobody voting to "do trade deals around the world" or whatever.

Yes. The 'buccaneering spirit' stuff seems to be dead in the water. I suspect it's now dawned just how difficult, protracted and potentially unrewarding all these trade deals are in the modern age. I think our primary focus will be to cobble something up with the EU, and leave the rest of the world for another day.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,371
    edited February 2018
    Steve Baker's a right twat isn't he.

A touch of Damian McBride about him, smearing anyone who gets in his way.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedUKPol/status/959178203842609152
  • Options

Steve Baker's a right twat isn't he.

A touch of Damian McBride about him, smearing anyone who gets in his way.

Plenty on both sides answer to that description
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. Smells great!
    Shame he showed such lack of self-belief in that same economy.....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

"When somebody tells you who they are, believe them..."
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Strange then that you come to a site based around betting, though I'm sure your repeated predictions for major success for SLab and odd obsession with bastards are appreciated by some.
    Not really. Many on here are not involved in betting per se. As for being obsessed with 'bastards' , I am not actually and strongly oppose any discrimination against people born out of wedlock. I am not,however, impressed by their parents. What does concern me is the hypocrisy of those who repeatedly assure us that such things no longer matter, but who then proceed to respond in vitriolic terms when reminded of the true meaning of the word.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    rkrkrk said:

Mortimer said:

If Corbyn & his mob of Marxist scum ever do get into power, they'll destroy the UK for generations to come. In their terms, they only float the nice stuff in public. Behind the scenes they'll have a whole stack of Stalinist rules and laws lined up to go.

Seriously, they really are extremely dangerous and all the quisling Labour MPs who don't support Corbyn because they know all this are utterly disgraceful.
  • Options
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    saddo said:

rkrkrk said:

Mortimer said:

If Corbyn & his mob of Marxist scum ever do get into power, they'll destroy the UK for generations to come. In their terms, they only float the nice stuff in public. Behind the scenes they'll have a whole stack of Stalinist rules and laws lined up to go.

Seriously, they really are extremely dangerous and all the quisling Labour MPs who don't support Corbyn because they know all this are utterly disgraceful.
    Nah. It will be fine, nothing to fear in a little rebalancing of society. The sun will still come up in the morning.
This discussion has been closed.