Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Moggy ousts Jezza as next PM betting favourite

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Remember "Brexit means the breakup of the Uk"

https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/960518751950114816

You forgot to mention that Unionist support for the UK was at 36% with the rest wanting greater powers than they have now. Usual snivelling ltying Tory trick.
    I really can't work out whether the questions asked in the poll were completely stupid or whether it is just the way that the Scotsman reported it that was idiotic. Probably both.
    It was the old 3 options , with Devo Plus. Absolutely useless given Westminster don't want Devo Max. Just propaganda as ever
  • Options
    philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    You have to wonder when he last caught a Ferry. 7 minutes? Wow. Wish they could match that with cars.
    7 minutes to process each lorry on arrival. A queue of 50 lorries coming from a channel ferry would take almost 6 hours to process, by which time another 3 ferries have arrived.

See the problem?
    Nope. Would give them something to do in the 45 minutes they spend hanging around waiting to get off the boat.
    Is that only a 1 hour processing time for 50 lorries in 6 queues? That seems very quick.
    Indeed. Why anyone would think they'd be processed in a single-file queue is utterly bizarre. When have you ever gone to a single-file queue?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783

TGOHF said:

Remember "Brexit means the breakup of the Uk"

https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/960518751950114816

That’s a three way poll including a devo-max option.
    That's 47%/53% (rounded) in a binary poll excluding 'Devo-max' assuming it split 50/50. With 15% don't knows to play for.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    philiph said:

‪Gold standard pollster speaks. ‬

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/960559918792232960

Cons best score since July.

I'll just go into a dark room and scratch my head whilst trying to understand how the continual mess they are in is not having a massive negative on polls.

Answer: 6 letters, C _ _ B _ N

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    I've finally got round to reading All Out War. One comment that stood out from the pre-referendum manoeuvring was that Theresa May was judged to be more pro-European than Cameron.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    GIN1138 said:

Have we passed Peak Corbyn? :D
    That poll has (sub sample alert) the SNP on 26.5% and Labour in Scotland on 38.8%. That's....unlikely.
  • Options
    Different Germany Poll

@EuropeElects
    2h2 hours ago
    Germany, Forsa poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 33% (-1)
    SPD-S&D: 18%
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 13% (+1)
    AfD-EFDD: 13% (+1)
    LINKE-LEFT: 9% (-1)
    FDP-ALDE: 9%

Field work: 29/01/18–02/02/18
    Sample size: 2,507
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    philiph said:

I'll just go into a dark room and scratch my head whilst trying to understand how the continual mess they are in is not having a massive negative on polls.
    Scottish sub-sample a bit bonkers, though.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    You have to wonder when he last caught a Ferry. 7 minutes? Wow. Wish they could match that with cars.
    7 minutes to process each lorry on arrival. A queue of 50 lorries coming from a channel ferry would take almost 6 hours to process, by which time another 3 ferries have arrived.

See the problem?
    Nope. Would give them something to do in the 45 minutes they spend hanging around waiting to get off the boat.
    Is that only a 1 hour processing time for 50 lorries in 6 queues? That seems very quick.
    Indeed. Why anyone would think they'd be processed in a single-file queue is utterly bizarre. When have you ever gone to a single-file queue?
    I don’t think sufficient information is provided to solve the maths problem.
    In any case - we have potentially 3 years to build more births/get new systems in place.
    For a competent government this should be doable.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

I've finally got round to reading All Out War. One comment that stood out from the pre-referendum manoeuvring was that Theresa May was judged to be more pro-European than Cameron.

Wouldn't surprise me...

But was she more pro-EU than Boy George? :)
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    I suspect you're being deliberately obtuse, but the problem is a problem because there are not 6 queues, nor is there a plan to build or staff them (or there are 6 queues but they need 15, or 15 but they need 30 - you get the idea but you'll need to talk to HMRC for the exact numbers).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    rkrkrk said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    In any case - we have potentially 3 years to build more births/get new systems in place.
    Is that how they happen?
  • Options

Hmm. Not really a difficult choice. A father of 8 or a man who divorced his wife and abandoned his son for political reasons.

A father of 8 who appears rather keen to abandon some of the duties of being a father onto a paid servant?
    You could say the same of anyone who puts their child into child care each day.

Anyway I was not endorsing JRM, just going along with the comparison Mike made. I don't want either to be PM but would choose a JRM over Corbyn any day. A man who puts his political ideology ahead of his family is a true fanatic.

Maybe Corbyn felt it was best for his child not to go to a grammar school and that if he and his wife disagreed on something so fundamental it was best for the child concerned that they did not stay together. I am no fan, but there does not seem to be any evidence whatsoever to suggest he is anything other than a very good, loving father. I am sure exactly the same can be said for Jacob Rees Mogg.

But the child ended up going where the mother wanted anyway. He just did it from a broken family. I genuinely fond the idea abhorrent.

If people disagree so profoundly on such a basic issue of parenting then a subsequent separation is no huge surprise and could well be best for the child concerned; the alternative being the parents at constant loggerheads and the child blaming him/herself. Thankfully, I have never been in such a situation.
  • Options
    I am totally baffled by the popularity of a man who makes mr chumley Warner look like a leftie. It is 2018, not 1818.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

philiph said:

Its the lack of an alternative. Obviously.
    Tony Blair would have been on 65% by now. Not joking.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

I am totally baffled by the popularity of a man who makes mr chumley Warner look like a leftie. It is 2018, not 1818.

Cholmondeley Warner, I have always assumed.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    Is that how they happen?
    Oops.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    sarissa said:

philiph said:

Scottish sub-sample a bit bonkers, though.
    Especially given a real poll the other day showed SNP up and Labour flat.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

Very possibly. He was brilliant at opposition politics.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Different Germany Poll

@EuropeElects
    2h2 hours ago
    Germany, Forsa poll:

The Social Democrats could be in fourth place before long.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

Tony would be campaigning to stay in.
    I think it unlikely that would get to 65% in the polls.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

Doubt we would be leaving the EU if Blair in his prime lead remain
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,004
    rkrkrk said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    The world's moved on since all of this travel business was invented. We should use modern concepts now.

Instead of a FIFO queue at our ports, we should make it a LIFO queue. ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    GIN1138 said:

Have we passed Peak Corbyn? :D
    Corbyn was just SO 2017......

If you want to be a contrarian kid that riles his parents, this year they will have a poster on their walls of the Moggster.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    I suspect you're being deliberately obtuse, but the problem is a problem because there are not 6 queues, nor is there a plan to build or staff them (or there are 6 queues but they need 15, or 15 but they need 30 - you get the idea but you'll need to talk to HMRC for the exact numbers).
    There's no plan to build six or however many extra booths currently because there's negotiations still ongoing to determine our future relationship - the booths may be unnecessary. If booths become necessary then we have roughly 3 years to build a few booths - not the end of the world.
  • Options
    Pong said:
    +1
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018
    Totally OT....the Westworld season 2 trailer screened during the ads of the hand egg final was fantastic.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    philiph said:

Two words for you. Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Fenster said:
    I'd think so if it was written a bit better. Unfortunately there are nutters around and there is no telling what they'll latch onto.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

Doubt we would be leaving the EU if Blair in his prime lead remain
    True in his pomp 1997 to 2001 he would have won any referendum regarding Europe.However he had a greater challenge to stop him, Brown and Balls.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

Tony would be campaigning to stay in.
    I think it unlikely that would get to 65% in the polls.
    No he wouldn't be so stupid as to commit to that when his enemy is making so many mistakes.
  • Options

Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    There's no plan to build six or however many extra booths currently because there's negotiations still ongoing to determine our future relationship - the booths may be unnecessary. If booths become necessary then we have roughly 3 years to build a few booths - not the end of the world.
    It's not just a 'few booths': it's the queues and the other infrastructure to do with it. And the problem with that might be a lack of space, which might be impossible to solve due to physical constraints.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Different Germany Poll

@EuropeElects
    2h2 hours ago
    Germany, Forsa poll:

The Social Democrats could be in fourth place before long.
    The party of Brandt and Schroder reduced to this. And yet they seem to be tiptoeing into the parlour.
  • Options

Totally OT....the Westworld season 2 trailer screened during the ads of the hand egg final was fantastic.

Last I heard Season 2 was airing late April?

Season 1 was truly excellent.

(As, to be fair, was the hand egg final!)
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Last I heard Season 2 was airing late April?

Season 1 was truly excellent.

(As, to be fair, was the hand egg final!)
    Confirmed April on the trailer.

https://youtu.be/qUmfriZoMw0
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    It's not just a 'few booths': it's the queues and the other infrastructure to do with it. And the problem with that might be a lack of space, which might be impossible to solve due to physical constraints.
    And adds yet another cost to the bill for Brexit
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I think it's mostly the novelty, like, some museum exhibit. And for the Tories someone who appears to guard the true flame (the one they had before Cameron replaced it with that blue-green one-legged elephant thingy).

If by some mishap he became PM his honeymoon wouldn't last more than five minutes.
  • Options

Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    To quote some vapid bilge a great philosopher, that is pure handwaving, and epitomises the JRMs and BoJos of this world.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    If the Moggster does become PM, then at least those of us on the left will have the opportunity to chant:

"Moggy Moggy Moggy. Out Out Out!"
  • Options

If the Moggster does become PM, then at least those of us on the left will have the opportunity to chant:

"Moggy Moggy Moggy. Out Out Out!"

Best argument for him so far.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

Just a shame it was all smoke and mirrors and he turned out to.be such an atrocious PM.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

Just a shame it was all smoke and mirrors and he turned out to.be such an atrocious PM.
    Well you can't have everything.
  • Options

Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    Yet funnily enough neither are government, nor the French, nor the Dutch or any other nation are exactly panicking into building this. It's almost as if its an imaginary problem imagined in the same fevered Remainiac brains that brought us claims like an immediate recession if we voted to leave.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    JRM. An attempt to outbid Labour.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

It's interesting to consider how different Blair's government would have been if he had removed Brown from being Chancellor in 2001, as apparently he considered. Since much of Labour's toxicity came from Brown's camp, would the following nine years have provided better government, without a chancellor quite so openly coveting his boss' job?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

These poll increases for the Conservatives are extraordinary given the barrage of anti Government propaganda on BBC,Sky News and Channel 4. I deduce that the electorate are saying: "Just get on with it. No election. Just deliver Brexit. Let Mrs May do what we elected her to do. And by the way we don't trust the other lot to do any better." For what it is worth I think that the British people are behaving, as ever, with characteristic common sense and calm. Unlike our media.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

It's interesting to consider how different Blair's government would have been if he had removed Brown from being Chancellor in 2001, as apparently he considered. Since much of Labour's toxicity came from Brown's camp, would the following nine years have provided better government, without a chancellor quite so openly coveting his boss' job?
    Letting frank field do the “unthinkable” would have solved a huge number of issues too.
  • Options

Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    Yet funnily enough neither are government, nor the French, nor the Dutch or any other nation are exactly panicking into building this. It's almost as if its an imaginary problem imagined in the same fevered Remainiac brains that brought us claims like an immediate recession if we voted to leave.
    Possibly. I was just reacting to the 'build a few booths' comment, which as an engineer I found funny.

Management: just do this.
    Engineering: (stares at the task and laughs): right, I'm off.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, that said, back in 2010 some said all politicians were the same, coalesced and arguing over a tiny patch of the centre ground.

A Mogg-Corbyn contest would be stark, if nothing else.
  • Options
    dyingswan said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

These poll increases for the Conservatives are extraordinary given the barrage of anti Government propaganda on BBC,Sky News and Channel 4. I deduce that the electorate are saying: "Just get on with it. No election. Just deliver Brexit. Let Mrs May do what we elected her to do. And by the way we don't trust the other lot to do any better." For what it is worth I think that the British people are behaving, as ever, with characteristic common sense and calm. Unlike our media.
    The polls are clearly being distorted by the number of people working away from home in Kent building the world's largest lorry park. Or something.
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, that said, back in 2010 some said all politicians were the same, coalesced and arguing over a tiny patch of the centre ground.

Which would you vote for, and why?
  • Options
    dyingswan said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

It is a bit like when we got the barrage of cuts, cuts, cuts, back to Wigan pier stuff. Watching CNN I think is maybe why trump has seen an uplift, the 24/7 trump is a total utter disaster over every single decision.
  • Options

Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    It's almost as if May and Davis have given them a nod and a wink that they are just posturing for domestic consumption.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    If Tony Blair had never been PM the UK would never have voted to leave the EU.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, Mogg.

The Conservatives would have to work very hard to find someone I wouldn't back against the likes of Corbyn.

If he were replaced by someone even like Ed Miliband or Yvette Cooper, *and* the Conservatives continued being lacklustre (to be polite) then I'd have to consider my vote. But with Corbyn as Labour leader there's no need. I can't back a terrorist-sympathising, economically innumerate, historically illiterate creature to be PM, nor John McDonnell, who wants no Tory MP to be able to go out in public without being hounded, to be Chancellor.

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Options

dyingswan said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

It is a bit like when we got the barrage of cuts, cuts, cuts, back to Wigan pier stuff. Watching CNN I think is maybe why trump has seen an uplift, the 24/7 trump is a total utter disaster over every single decision.
    People do not readily switch parties in the year following an election.
  • Options
    dyingswan said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

I think the media have attempted to take out TM and the public are ignoring them judging that she is a serious politician doing her best.

The NHS crisis with its daily travails week on week, month on month, are cutting through but the debate seems to maturing into it is not just money but a complete rethink is needed to make it fit for the next 50 years.

And cross party support is the only way to come up with a solution for the NHS and integrated Social care
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, Mogg.

The Conservatives would have to work very hard to find someone I wouldn't back against the likes of Corbyn.

If he were replaced by someone even like Ed Miliband or Yvette Cooper, *and* the Conservatives continued being lacklustre (to be polite) then I'd have to consider my vote. But with Corbyn as Labour leader there's no need. I can't back a terrorist-sympathising, economically innumerate, historically illiterate creature to be PM, nor John McDonnell, who wants no Tory MP to be able to go out in public without being hounded, to be Chancellor.

Anyway, I must be off.

It's not a two-party system. You could look at the Lib Dems or, God forbid, the Greens, and decide that they present a better vision for the country and an ability to deliver.

It feel strange to try to self-evaluate my view on Boris and Mogg. Both are electorally repellent to me in various ways: but I could see myself voting for Boris, but not for Mogg. I'm unsure that reflects well on me.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Not sure about that. I think that after black Wednesday the Tories were increasingly hostile to the EU. Cameron and Osborne held back the tide for a while forcing the party to think about other things, like winning elections, but the trend was remorseless and continues to this day.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Mr. Jessop, Mogg.

Anyway, I must be off.

It's not a two-party system. You could look at the Lib Dems or, God forbid, the Greens, and decide that they present a better vision for the country and an ability to deliver.

It feel strange to try to self-evaluate my view on Boris and Mogg. Both are electorally repellent to me in various ways: but I could see myself voting for Boris, but not for Mogg. I'm unsure that reflects well on me.
    Who are these Lib Dem’s which you speak of? AND aren’t the greens just maomentum light.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

To think people on the right used to mock those who blamed everything on Fatcha decades after she left office...
  • Options
    Last time round I spoiled my ballot paper. If the next election had Jeremy Corbyn facing Jacob Rees-Mogg, I'd set fire to my ballot paper.
  • Options

Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    Or that the government knows how the story will have to end, at least for a lengthy transition period.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Anorak said:

Charles said:

JRM's rise, and the last thread (indeed, many others), shows the main problem with Brexit.

It is not about customs union, free movement and everything else. The UK has historically been very good at muddling through, and whatever is decided, we'd probably muddle through, albeit at some cost.

However everything is being subsumed through the prism of Brexit. Every other question - especially good governance - is subservient.

It's become a religious, doctrinal conflict within the Conservative party: it doesn't matter if you're as loathsome as Leadsom, or as backwards as JRM: if you're a pure, true believer, then you're okay. If the Conservative party was having this religious war in opposition then it wouldn't matter as much. But they're not. They're in government.

And they're f'ing clueless.

I mean, JRM. For f'sake. Can someone try to convince me of any positive qualities he possesses for leader of the party, yet alone PM?

He’s nice, very smart, self depreciating, has principles (in spades)... and he doesn’t want the job
    I'm not sure his antediluvian principles are universally agreed to be a positive.
    Oh I disagree with him on most things, but it’s good that we have leaders with principles... providing they are flexible and pragmatic...
  • Options

Last time round I spoiled my ballot paper. If the next election had Jeremy Corbyn facing Jacob Rees-Mogg, I'd set fire to my ballot paper.

What’s wrong with anti-brexit pro-business vince cable led Lib Dem’s? I would have thought they were right up your alley.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, Mogg.

Anyway, I must be off.

Who are these Lib Dem’s which you speak of? AND aren’t the greens just maomentum light.
    Sadly, that's exactly what the Invisible Man has turned the Lib Dems into: an invisible entity.

Just when the country needs a Third Way.

As for the Greens: I only included them to pull Mr Dancer's chain. ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Not sure about that. I think that after black Wednesday the Tories were increasingly hostile to the EU. Cameron and Osborne held back the tide for a while forcing the party to think about other things, like winning elections, but the trend was remorseless and continues to this day.
    I think the trend has stopped. All the bright young things who care about their careers are quietly dropping the Brexit rhetoric from their repertoire because they can see which way the wind is blowing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

I think the trend has stopped. All the bright young things who care about their careers are quietly dropping the Brexit rhetoric from their repertoire because they can see which way the wind is blowing.
    Or that the decision has been made and it will not be an issue for the next election/leader.
  • Options
    Jacob Rees-Mogg is like an amalgam of Boris Johnson and Daniel Hannan but far more politically interesting than either of them. He's a danger to Brexit because his clarity of argument will inevitably lead to him making the case that it is a pointless waste of time.

If he's nimble enough he can corner the market for true believers, and then outmanoeuvre everyone by being the first to back Remain.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

A lot of virtue signalling by the Tory wets on here but suspect they would hold their noses and vote for JRM.
  • Options

Jacob Rees-Mogg is like an amalgam of Boris Johnson and Daniel Hannan but far more politically interesting than either of them. He's a danger to Brexit because his clarity of argument will inevitably lead to him making the case that it is a pointless waste of time.

If he's nimble enough he can corner the market for true believers, and then outmanoeuvre everyone by being the first to back Remain.

To be fair - at times you can be very funny
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Sounds like Grayling is letting Stagecoach/Virgin walk away from the East Coast Franchise in the very near future. I don't think the franchise holder can argue that their problems now are the result of NR not delivering on enhancements (as they had argued for the years beyond 2020).

The argument for bringing the franchises back into public management just got a lot stronger.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

Before putting it in the ballot box ?

For those spoiling their ballots, just make sure to write/draw something rude against BOTH names...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32693485
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited February 2018
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

I think it started with Delors speech challenging Thatcher. The famous Sun headline "Up Yours Delors" was in November 1990 and that was when Thatcher went very cool on the EU. Black Wednesday, in September 1992, put the tin hat on mirroring the Euro and it's been downhill for The EU in the Tory Party since then.

EDIT: It wouldn't be unfair to blame Brexit on Delors.
  • Options

Stark, staring bonkers.
  • Options

Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    Nah the Brexit fairy will come down in the night and build a hard border at Dover and across Ireland manned by an unspecified neutral taskforce of border guards employed by neither side and who will carry out their checks only on goods leaving Britain - paid for of course by the Uk.

Everyone will shrug and say hey such an asymmetric outcome is unavoidable lets suck it up.

Its totally believable.

• Options

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

There's that damning full stop again, Richard.
    :smile:
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Charles said:

JRM's rise, and the last thread (indeed, many others), shows the main problem with Brexit.

It is not about customs union, free movement and everything else. The UK has historically been very good at muddling through, and whatever is decided, we'd probably muddle through, albeit at some cost.

However everything is being subsumed through the prism of Brexit. Every other question - especially good governance - is subservient.

It's become a religious, doctrinal conflict within the Conservative party: it doesn't matter if you're as loathsome as Leadsom, or as backwards as JRM: if you're a pure, true believer, then you're okay. If the Conservative party was having this religious war in opposition then it wouldn't matter as much. But they're not. They're in government.

And they're f'ing clueless.

I mean, JRM. For f'sake. Can someone try to convince me of any positive qualities he possesses for leader of the party, yet alone PM?

He’s nice, very smart, self depreciating, has principles (in spades)... and he doesn’t want the job
    Nice people do not make up evidence-free conspiracy theories about people who are unable to respond.
    Genuine question. Do you think the pre-referendum civil service forecasts were made in good faith?
    Yes. Have you any evidence that they were not?

The long-term economic forecast looks on track, though it's early days of course.
    I suspect the forecasts were made in good faith but the assumptions were carefully selected. As we know from Mcbride’s book it’s the Chancellor who makes the final decision on the forecasts.

So in the matter of the pre-referendum civil service forecasts the evidence would suggest they are innocent and Osborne is guilty
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited February 2018

I think that is Boris's trump card - after the members have elected him leader.
  • Options
    Apart from his medieval Papist views on abortion and Brexit - can anyone name an extreme/stark JRM policy ?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    I spoke to someone in the haulage industry about this back pre-Christmas. Lorries already park up for an hour or two to wait for processing that takes a couple of minutes. The seven minutes can be fitted in the same timeframe - you just need more staff
  • Options
    DavidL said:

dyingswan said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

The polls are clearly being distorted by the number of people working away from home in Kent building the world's largest lorry park. Or something.
    Or all those Remainers seeing that Brexit will really happen - and heading off for pastures new in Tuscany or Provence.

Or Hungary.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    I spoke to someone in the haulage industry about this back pre-Christmas. Lorries already park up for an hour or two to wait for processing that takes a couple of minutes. The seven minutes can be fitted in the same timeframe - you just need more staff
    You would never get queues in the wonderful open border EU.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3264628/spain-resorts-to-bully-boy-tactics-on-gibraltar-border-delaying-brits-for-five-hours-by-increasing-security-checks-after-rock-row/

The property landlord said: "I have been here two hours already and the police are saying it will take another three hours easily.

""That’s five hours and all because Spain is being a bully and flexing her muscles. They are just trying to intimidate the British and cause problems"
  • Options

Stark versus Bolton, perhaps?
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt is right to tell Donald Trump where he can shove his remarks about the British NHS, but he is mistaken to think Britain was the first country to introduce universal healthcare. That wasn't Bismarck's Germany either. It was the USSR, under Nikolai Semashko.
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt is right to tell Donald Trump where he can shove his remarks about the British NHS, but he is mistaken to think Britain was the first country to introduce universal healthcare. That wasn't Bismarck's Germany either. It was the USSR, under Nikolai Semashko.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Apart from his medieval Papist views on abortion and Brexit - can anyone name an extreme/stark JRM policy ?

Brexit is an extremist Papist view?
  • Options
  • Options

Stark versus Bolton, perhaps?
    Does that make Vince Cable Theon Greyjoy ?

Sounds like his nuclear weapon could be decommissioned ..
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    edited February 2018
    Barnesian said:

I think that is Boris's trump card - after the members have elected him leader.
    Having just finished All Out War, it’s fascinating to observe the “journey” Brexiters have made in the past 18 months.

David Davis campaigned with Farage. He’s now thought to want a very soft Brexit and is making common cause with Hammond.

Boris, meanwhile, was on the fence and thought a first referendum might be a way of extracting concessions before a second vote. He’s now aligned himself with the hard-as-fuck Brexit group.

Davis presumably has been mugged by reality, whereas Boris in the FO is free to figure out whatever position might be the best route to the top job.
  • Options

Rees-Mogg's latest historical allusion is... interesting.
    https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/960552242855149570

I do like the fact that, among all “the Earl of” and “the Lord of” there is one bloke who is just “the Mr of Balmcrino”...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    He's a catholic isn't he.. big problems with the issue of abortion. Cant see him as PM. He's too laid back IMHO
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Anorak said:

philiph said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    Possibly. I was just reacting to the 'build a few booths' comment, which as an engineer I found funny.

Management: just do this.
    Engineering: (stares at the task and laughs): right, I'm off.
    :smiley: Instant recognition.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    Can we go back to talking about Grid Girls?
  • Options

Can we go back to talking about Grid Girls?

Grid Kids = Child Labour....
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    TGOHF said:

JRM policy on abortion is not "medieval Papist". While he personally supports the teaching of the Church, as do millions of others, he accepts that ending abortion rights will never command a consensus and he will not seek to impose it.
  • Options

Superb trolling.
This discussion has been closed.