Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Moggy ousts Jezza as next PM betting favourite

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    As many as 13% of the population want us to be the Puerto Rico of the EU? They must all post on PB.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Meaningless survey - "customs controls" sounds like a good thing (which of course in some respects they are). But the survey is meaningless with a loaded question like that.
  • Options
    A few more polls like that and TM will have measured the mood of the nation with her unequivocable comment today that we are out of the customs union.

The other thing that has happened today is to make the media contrasts the two options and out of the single market and custom union does come over as honouring the vote to leave the EU
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Meaningless survey - "customs controls" sounds like a good thing (which of course in some respects they are). But the survey is meaningless with a loaded question like that.
    O dear - panic sets in
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2018
    Absolute wrong'un...

The Parliamentary Standards Commissioner’s investigation into Keith Vaz remains suspended on medical grounds. The MPs watchdog says Vaz is too sick to face scrutiny…

Funny that his constituents keep noticing him out and about in rude health.

https://order-order.com/2018/02/05/sick-investigated-keith-vaz-seen/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Dow Jones heavily down again. It all looks a bit bearish to me.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

"loaded" = "I don't like the result"?

How would you have phrased it (in two words)?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Profit taking or something more serious
  • Options
    On healthcare, I have no idea what Japan's system is but maybe we should investigate what they do?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    You have to wonder when he last caught a Ferry. 7 minutes? Wow. Wish they could match that with cars.
    7 minutes to process each lorry on arrival. A queue of 50 lorries coming from a channel ferry would take almost 6 hours to process, by which time another 3 ferries have arrived.

See the problem?
    I spoke to someone in the haulage industry about this back pre-Christmas. Lorries already park up for an hour or two to wait for processing that takes a couple of minutes. The seven minutes can be fitted in the same timeframe - you just need more staff
    Really?

Colour me doubtful

(See my previous post about 'just do this')
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    You have to wonder when he last caught a Ferry. 7 minutes? Wow. Wish they could match that with cars.
    7 minutes to process each lorry on arrival. A queue of 50 lorries coming from a channel ferry would take almost 6 hours to process, by which time another 3 ferries have arrived.

See the problem?
    I spoke to someone in the haulage industry about this back pre-Christmas. Lorries already park up for an hour or two to wait for processing that takes a couple of minutes. The seven minutes can be fitted in the same timeframe - you just need more staff
    Really?

Colour me doubtful

His conclusion was that it was going to f*ck his company but he voted Brexit anyway.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Hard to know just yet, but does seem a bit ominous to me.

Sitting tight though, as I have a pretty cautious and diversified portfolio at present.
  • Options
    @Anorak Given how unpopular Blair is, it’s highly unlikely he’d be on 65%. In fact, I doubt Labour have any potential leaders who would get them to 65%. Right now few politicians exist who would be able to bridge the divide.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sitting tight though, as I have a pretty cautious and diversified portfolio at present.
    Looks pretty widespread.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    IanB2 said:

I have some sympathy with that view, because this is a complex issue. Before anyone can be expected to have a view, they should understand how Rules of Origin work, the difference between a customs union and a free trade area, and also how protectionist/free trade other parts of the world are.

But it's hard to capture all that in a simple question. And it's very hard to design a question that's not loaded in some way.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Can we go back to talking about Grid Girls?

I'm just devoutly thankful that the twentieth century fad of treating adult women as autonomous moral agents has been put behind us. And I am deeply confident that putting children behind the scenes in the most glamorous sport in the world is absolutely fine because there ain't no paedophiles in Formula 1, just like there ain't no paedophiles in professional football. No, sirree.
  • Options

@Anorak Given how unpopular Blair is, it’s highly unlikely he’d be on 65%. In fact, I doubt Labour have any potential leaders who would get them to 65%. Right now few politicians exist who would be able to bridge the divide.

JRM - (duck)
  • Options
    I can’t believe this grid girls debate is still on going. I had to laugh at that YouGov poll on the whole issue though. Judging by how upset so many are about it on twitter, you’d expect to see 90% against the change.
  • Options

JRM - (duck)
    I doubt it. Especially since he’s a pretty hardcore Brexiteer.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    What's kind of interesting about that poll is that people do seem to have internalised the idea that the point of Brexit is to do trade deals.
  • Options

JRM - (duck)
    I doubt it. Especially since he’s a pretty hardcore Brexiteer.
    It was partly in jest but who knows these days
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    The correct answer should be 95% Don't Know. I would put myself in the other 5%, not because I am cleverer but because I have wasted far too much time investigating this topic. People understandably prefer to say something positive rather than appear to be stupid.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    FF43 said:

The correct answer should be 95% Don't Know. I would put myself in the other 5%, not because I am cleverer but because I have wasted far too much time investigating this topic. People understandably prefer to say something positive rather than appear to be stupid.
    Why? Just because people don’t know all the nuances doesn’t mean they can’t have an opinion about which way to go.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Hayward predicts Corbyn will be a winner

Labour members across the borough borders in both Westminster and Barnet are trying to keep a lid on their growing belief that they could turn those two Tory councils into Labour-controlled authorities at May’s local elections. The quietly confident approach is proving difficult to contain, however, and I’ve spoken to one or two members in both boroughs who think once unthinkable victories are now within sight."

https://richardosley.com/2018/01/02/hayward-predicts-corbyn-will-be-a-winner/
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.
    Yes, it started in America, but is everywhere now.
  • Options

I can’t believe this grid girls debate is still on going. I had to laugh at that YouGov poll on the whole issue though. Judging by how upset so many are about it on twitter, you’d expect to see 90% against the change.

As ever, twitter is not a microcosm of society, but of itself.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Denial is your comfort blanket
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

I have some sympathy with that view, because this is a complex issue. Before anyone can be expected to have a view, they should understand how Rules of Origin work, the difference between a customs union and a free trade area, and also how protectionist/free trade other parts of the world are.

But it's hard to capture all that in a simple question. And it's very hard to design a question that's not loaded in some way.
    I agree with this, but would add, they should also have actually exported and imported something.

I am constantly amazed at what can be achieved. I can usually get a package to CA, at a push, in 24 hours, for example.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    Really?

Colour me doubtful

His conclusion was that it was going to f*ck his company but he voted Brexit anyway.
    I was replying to the 'you just need more staff' comment, which is of the sort made by people who have only ever done management and have never actually done anything practical. ;)
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.
    Be thankful you are not in Cryptos, it is a bloodbath at the moment.

Me, I am not in Cryptos, and will just sit out the FTSE/Dow etc.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

Who could have predicted that....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Evening all :)

Curious to see so many people claiming Labour would be miles ahead with another leader or a Blair-esque figure. Well, such a figure might be more telegenic than Corbyn which wouldn't be difficult but politics doesn't work like that.

The public mood is not to dwell on the result of 23/6/16 but to see what the Conservative Government can and will deliver in terms of meeting the various concerns of and reasons why people voted to LEAVE and REMAIN. That some of these objectives are mutually conflicting is something of which the Government is well aware but to mangle the old saying "you can please some of the people all the time but you'll never please all of the people all of the time."

For now, though, nothing has changed for most people since 23/6/16 and with the transition period likely to last until the end of 2020, the truth is for most people nothing will change. Why then should there be a substantial shift in political allegiances at this time ? We are in a holding pattern - until we know the shape of the A50 Treaty we won't know if May's fragile coalition will hang together or fall apart.

The other aspect for the Conservatives is that until a) May is shown to be a clear loser and b) someone else is shown to be a clear winner nothing much is going to change.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

TGOHF said:

Apart from his medieval Papist views on abortion and Brexit - can anyone name an extreme/stark JRM policy ?

JRM policy on abortion is not "medieval Papist". While he personally supports the teaching of the Church, as do millions of others, he accepts that ending abortion rights will never command a consensus and he will not seek to impose it.

JRM supports the teachings of the church on some issues.

• Options
    jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

I am wondering if the Crypto bubble bursting is the trigger for the drop, as people are forced to cover their positions.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

Who could have predicted that....
    Irony meter on overload.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

See the problem?
    The point is not that you need "a few staff", its the fact that you need them in every port and airport, and you need them all at once. From advert to first day recruitment takes aboyt six months, and we have just under fourteen months to do it in. The Dieppe raid fucked up because the tanks could not cope with a shingle beach: a simple thing that could have been dealt with but was not, with consequent slaughter. I am sick unto death of flibbertigibbets saying it'll be alright on the night and thinking if you throw it together at the last minute it'll sort itself out. That's never been true and I swear to goodness this current shower couldn't find their arse with both hands and a map.

• Options
    RIP brussels airlines - the Lufthansa board have sacked the CEO & CFO and are merging it with eurowings.....

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/959761297087877120
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

I agree with this, but would add, they should also have actually exported and imported something.

I am constantly amazed at what can be achieved. I can usually get a package to CA, at a push, in 24 hours, for example.

Depends how big the package is! When we do conferences over there, we need to give ourselves a fair bit of time because there is always a risk of stuff sitting in customs. I guess we'll have that in the EU now, unless we open an office in one of the member states and run our conference business from there.

• Options

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Depends how big the package is! When we do conferences over there, we need to give ourselves a fair bit of time because there is always a risk of stuff sitting in customs. I guess we'll have that in the EU now, unless we open an office in one of the member states and run our conference business from there.

Of course - there are lots of variables, and it helps that I sell books.

But even so, remarkable that I can get something half way across the world and cleared US customs in the time it takes to get a parcel from Poole to Glasgow.
  • Options
    Oh, I'm on a train by the way (waves)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Foxy said:

Quick, switch to bitcoin... Oh.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

I have taken a 50% hit in the value of my cryptos.

Luckily I invested, er, £50.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    DavidL said:

dyingswan said:

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

philiph said:

‪Gold standard pollster speaks. ‬

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/960559918792232960

Cons best score since July.

I'll just go into a dark room and scratch my head whilst trying to understand how the continual mess they are in is not having a massive negative on polls.
    Its the lack of an alternative. Obviously.
    Tony Blair would have been on 65% by now. Not joking.
    These poll increases for the Conservatives are extraordinary given the barrage of anti Government propaganda on BBC,Sky News and Channel 4. I deduce that the electorate are saying: "Just get on with it. No election. Just deliver Brexit. Let Mrs May do what we elected her to do. And by the way we don't trust the other lot to do any better." For what it is worth I think that the British people are behaving, as ever, with characteristic common sense and calm. Unlike our media.
    The polls are clearly being distorted by the number of people working away from home in Kent building the world's largest lorry park. Or something.
    Fear of Corbyn, support for Brexit, and economic wellbeing is keeping Conservative support at quite a high level.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    This government is a remarkable mess. Tory party seems increasingly broken and unable to govern in national interest .

Starting to think some kind of national government is going to happen.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

I am wondering if the Crypto bubble bursting is the trigger for the drop, as people are forced to cover their positions.
    I doubt it. Very few people bought Bitcoins at their peak. (I thank whoever it was who bought my bitcoins from me the weekend before Christmas.)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Nah, you want to get your money into Tether....cos it is backed 1:1 by USB (cough cough bullshit) ;-)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

My capita punt going ok so far :)
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    viewcode said:

this is a train that floats?
  • Options

RIP brussels airlines - the Lufthansa board have sacked the CEO & CFO and are merging it with eurowings.....

Oh FFS. Said as someone who works in price comparison. Keeping carrier info aligned is an absolute nightmare.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Brussels airlines were always more expensive than the KLM / Air France alternative when I've flown across Europe. How does that tally with rebranding as Eurowings...
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

I doubt it. Very few people bought Bitcoins at their peak. (I thank whoever it was who bought my bitcoins from me the weekend before Christmas.)
    There is always a mug out there...

Having done some deep dives of a range of "alt-coins", it is incredible how many of these have got any sort of funding. So many of the projects are just utter duds / scams.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

Did you buy recently and are long, or sold short before that?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

This government is a remarkable mess. Tory party seems increasingly broken and unable to govern in national interest .

Commanding 40% + in the present climate indicates the public do not share your view
  • Options

viewcode said:

this is a train that floats?

Thinks.

No.

No it isn't.

However, it is a train that trains. Or possibly rails... :)

• Options

Jonathan said:

Commanding 40% + in the present climate indicates the public do not share your view
    Polls irrelevant. This is about having a coherent executable policy you can get through parliament. Frictionless trade outside the customs union is a fantasy today.

Anyway we know you need to be twenty points ahead going into a campaign to scrape in as a minority.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Nah, you want to get your money into Tether....cos it is backed 1:1 by USB (cough cough bullshit) ;-)
    LOL, backed by USB is quite a good description of cryptocurrency generally, but (now the edit window has closed) you may have meant USD.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

LOL, backed by USB is quite a good description of cryptocurrency generally, but (now the edit window has closed) you may have meant USD.
    Yes...wonderful iPhone auto-correct. Although in the case of Tether it is definitely backed by nothing more than a USB, despite their claims.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Polls irrelevant. This is about having a coherent executable policy you can get through parliament. Frictionless trade outside the customs union is a fantasy today.

Anyway we know you need to be twenty points ahead going into a campaign to scrape in as a minority.
    Maybe - but TM has made a decision and may well have captured the public mood (not the pro EU media and journalists)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Jonathan said:

Davis Davis clearly sees himself as some kind of R. MacDonald. Not sure he's modelling himself on the right one though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

Bought 783 at 157p
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189

Barnesian said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg is like an amalgam of Boris Johnson and Daniel Hannan but far more politically interesting than either of them. He's a danger to Brexit because his clarity of argument will inevitably lead to him making the case that it is a pointless waste of time.

If he's nimble enough he can corner the market for true believers, and then outmanoeuvre everyone by being the first to back Remain.

I think that is Boris's trump card - after the members have elected him leader.
    Having just finished All Out War, it’s fascinating to observe the “journey” Brexiters have made in the past 18 months.

David Davis campaigned with Farage. He’s now thought to want a very soft Brexit and is making common cause with Hammond.

Boris, meanwhile, was on the fence and thought a first referendum might be a way of extracting concessions before a second vote. He’s now aligned himself with the hard-as-fuck Brexit group.

Davis presumably has been mugged by reality, whereas Boris in the FO is free to figure out whatever position might be the best route to the top job.
    Maybe would have been better to have Boris strapped into the delivery side of Brexit. Davis, Fox et al maybe see their reputations as directly tied to success or fail of the outcome, while Boris is free to keep moving to a harder and harder position so whatever finally gets implemented, if it fails, only failed because it wasn't hard enough and therefore not his fault. Reminds of Tony Benn saying the Labour Party lost in 83 because it manifesto wasn't left wing enough.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

Why? Just because people don’t know all the nuances doesn’t mean they can’t have an opinion about which way to go.
    Respectfully, if someone asks me the circumstances under which you should initiate heart surgery, I defer my answer. Whoever put together that survey question clearly doesn't understand trade policy issues either as the options aren't correctly described.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

Bought 783 at 157p
    Thought you were talking about bitcoin for a moment there :o
  • Options

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Good plan. Oh since I started composing this post another 100 million Tether have been created. And again...
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Respectfully, if someone asks me the circumstances under which you should initiate heart surgery, I defer my answer. Whoever put together that survey question clearly doesn't understand trade policy issues either as the options aren't correctly described.
    But it's a poll to find out what people's opinions are. That matters politically, no matter how ill-informed they are. It's not like yougov is intending to sell this as expert advice.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Another one who can't punctuate.

• Options
    BBC reporting US stock falls due to prospect of higher interest rates
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Jonathan said:

Just astroturfing in the wind.

There was just this same artificial 'mess' over the Article 50 law suit, the James Chapman new party, the 'we must stay in the single market 'cos Umunna et al' rigmarole.

It would be a lot easier if Remainer MPs just accept that they've lost all the arguments already...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

Surely a decent amount of fictional money in the Cryptos?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

How would you conduct elections then? Only a very small number of people understand the full implications of what they are voting for. I think people are allowed to marke a call regarding which direction the country goes.
  • Options
    The main takeaway i have from that photo is that Barnier is quite tall.

Oh and Starmer looks like he's just realised we're actually leaving the SM.... :)
  • Options
    Consorting with the enemy? I see Corbyn is up to his old tricks... :p
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

Bought 783 at 157p
    Unfortunately my giving you advice would be, er, illegal, so let's leave it there shall we?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Mortimer said:

Oh and Starmer looks like he's just realised we're actually leaving the SM.... :)
    Starmer always has a rabbit in headlights look about him
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PeterC said:

TGOHF said:

Apart from his medieval Papist views on abortion and Brexit - can anyone name an extreme/stark JRM policy ?

JRM policy on abortion is not "medieval Papist". While he personally supports the teaching of the Church, as do millions of others, he accepts that ending abortion rights will never command a consensus and he will not seek to impose it.
    That line didn`t work for Tim Farron, did it?
  • Options
  • Options
    Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

The risk from a crypto collapse isn't so much to individuals but to banks, since you can bet that one way or another a lot of the potential losses will end up sitting with them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Mortimer said:

Intelligent man.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    PClipp said:

PeterC said:

TGOHF said:

JRM is a good deal more comfortable with his beliefs than Tim Farron, and is not seeking to lead the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

The risk from a crypto collapse isn't so much to individuals but to banks, since you can bet that one way or another a lot of the potential losses will end up sitting with them.
    Because they buy them as a spec, or lend against them as security, or what?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

Crypto is tiny market with a valuation supported by pump and dump and wash trading on incredibly thin liquidity. There's no risk to institutions, just suckers.
  • Options

Which is apparently being thought much more likely because of job growth.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Good plan. Oh since I started composing this post another 100 million Tether have been created. And again...
    I would love to know the bank who keeps lending them all this money to back their coin. I might go to them and ask for a $100 million. I somehow fear that this bank doesn't exist.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832

Yes, this is hardly news as it relates to the strong US payroll data released on Friday which triggered the current sell-off along with some disappointing corporate numbers.

The view is the strong payroll dats will force renewed rises in interest rates and, I imagine, there will be pressure to raise rates here as well.

After years of QE as financial methodone, it looks as though we will all have to go cold turkey - good for savers though, let's not forget.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

PeterC said:

TGOHF said:

JRM is a good deal more comfortable with his beliefs than Tim Farron, and is not seeking to lead the Lib Dems.
    You mean he`s not going to be attacked by the Tory spin machine.....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

Crypto is tiny market with a valuation supported by pump and dump and wash trading on incredibly thin liquidity. There's no risk to institutions, just suckers.
    I don't know if this is correct, but it is certainly lucid:

http://thereformedbroker.com/2018/01/07/the-fatal-mistake-crypto-investors-are-making-now/
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    stodge said:

Yes, this is hardly news as it relates to the strong US payroll data released on Friday which triggered the current sell-off along with some disappointing corporate numbers.

The view is the strong payroll dats will force renewed rises in interest rates and, I imagine, there will be pressure to raise rates here as well.

After years of QE as financial methodone, it looks as though we will all have to go cold turkey - good for savers though, let's not forget.
    More likely the stock market reaction will panic central banks into coming up with some reason to defer any action, hoping that wage inflation settles of its own accord. If that doesn't work, we are heading for a period of significantly higher inflation which, as it happens, is the least worst (for the debtors) of the various ways in which the crisis in public debt can be resolved.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited February 2018
    Charles said:

Mortimer said:

He looks like he is a member of The Remove at Greyfriars.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    One of the difficulties of the Labour party for women must be the ever-present suspicion that you're just a token woman, whatever genuine talent & value you bring to anything. Sad.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

I though the nominal value of Cryptos was quite large. A lot depends when people bought in.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

jayfdee said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Looks pretty widespread.

I don't know if this is correct, but it is certainly lucid:

http://thereformedbroker.com/2018/01/07/the-fatal-mistake-crypto-investors-are-making-now/
    Thanks for the link.

My 85-year old mother asked me what Bitcoin was the other day, a clear sign that awareness of the boom has spread very widely. Although I have a hazy idea I thought it best to say that I didn't understand it. But it does seem to me that the long-term value is more likely to be in the technology itself, rather than the actual currencies.
This discussion has been closed.