Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jon Trickett – Labour’s man to sort out the outsourcing mess?

Comments

• Options

In TM speech today in Manchester she said for women politics can be as much about listening and learning from others than it is about broadcasting your opinions. She has a different style of politics and advised all women in politics to be youself and dont try to be like a sterotype man in order to get on but be yourself and believe in what you are doing.

This was followed by applause from her audience.

I think many underestimate how much her style resounds with the public

It was a handpicked audience, I'd be astonished if there wasn't applause.
    You really have such a bias against her
    I'm stating a fact.

I've been right about Mrs May.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Denmark's Social Democrats, part of the left-wing opposition and the country's largest party, on Monday proposed slashing the number of "non-Western" foreigners allowed into the EU member state.

"We want to introduce a cap on the number of non-Western foreigners who can come to Denmark," Social Democrats leader Mette Frederiksen said in a 44-page document which focused in particular on asylum seekers from Africa.

"We want to reform our asylum system, among other things, by setting up reception centres outside Europe, and in the future it will not be possible for refugees to obtain asylum in Denmark outside quotas set by the United Nations," she added."

https://www.thelocal.dk/20180206/denmarks-social-democrats-want-to-cap-non-western-asylum-seekers
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

My window cleaner just asked me about investing in bitcoins ...

It had all the hallmarks of being a bubble already, but that has clinched it.

One of my favourite bits in Lewis's The Big Short is when they talk to strippers about their Sub prime portfolio.
    Fabulous scene in a great movie. Sit down, its too distracting, we'll still pay you.

Also liked the line "Short everything that man has ever touched."
    Yes. The CDO manager scene was fantastically done.

Seen it three times; it doesn't get any less shocking!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

At least he didn't say that he had bought an ASIC miner or 16 Titan XP GPUs...
    That's the real trouble with bitcoins -- it's driven up the price of computer components to shocking levels. (That and caused a spate of grown men shoving small girls into pools, streams and other inland waterways.)
    On the positive side, it's caused massive investment in GPUs by nVidia and the like, so graphics cards are likely to be much cheaper in the future.

Maybe - by making GPUs so much cheaper in the long-run - VR will be the real winner from Bitcoin.
    VR isn't getting any traction, and it isn't really to do with the lack of GPU power. They still haven't solved so many of the core issues.

Hololens and MagicLeap are much more promising avenues, albeit still miles and miles away from being as good as they need to be.
  • Options
    I see it's a pleasant afternoon on here: full of hyberbole, synthetic outrage and windy rhetoric.

I think I'll go back to working.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2018

In TM speech today in Manchester she said for women politics can be as much about listening and learning from others than it is about broadcasting your opinions. She has a different style of politics and advised all women in politics to be youself and dont try to be like a sterotype man in order to get on but be yourself and believe in what you are doing.

To be fair, the advancement of women in politics has long been an important cause for Theresa May, and in particular she has done a lot to help get more women Tory MPs.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Indeed - it was scaremongering nonsense.

Or it was an attempt to make the positive case for the EU, which unfortunately got torpedoed by the fact that the briefing was hamfisted. From Tim Shipman's 'All Out War' (page 239):

One of those involved in creating the speech said 'It was a briefing not a speech problem'. We never said "World War Three". I think the press totally distorted it.'
    The very next sentence is, We said, “Can you guarantee peace on the Continent?”

And this follows directly from Cameron talking of the first and second world wars. It is clear Cameron meant WW3. And let us take Shipman's source at his word: it was a briefing problem. Well, that just means it was briefed -- by Downing Street -- to the press as meaning world war 3.
    You have to be really, really dumb or really, really generous-spirited to think that Cameron wasn't saying that leaving the EU could lead to the UK going to war.

And there is little evidence that Remainers are either really, really dumb or generous-spirited.
    How many days after invoking Article 50 did it take for Michael Howard to threaten Spain with war?
    Was he PM at the time?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

TGOHF said:

Indeed - it was scaremongering nonsense.

Or it was an attempt to make the positive case for the EU, which unfortunately got torpedoed by the fact that the briefing was hamfisted. From Tim Shipman's 'All Out War' (page 239):

One of those involved in creating the speech said 'It was a briefing not a speech problem'. We never said "World War Three". I think the press totally distorted it.'
    The very next sentence is, We said, “Can you guarantee peace on the Continent?”

And this follows directly from Cameron talking of the first and second world wars. It is clear Cameron meant WW3. And let us take Shipman's source at his word: it was a briefing problem. Well, that just means it was briefed -- by Downing Street -- to the press as meaning world war 3.
    You have to be really, really dumb or really, really generous-spirited to think that Cameron wasn't saying that leaving the EU could lead to the UK going to war.

And there is little evidence that Remainers are either really, really dumb or generous-spirited.
    How many days after invoking Article 50 did it take for Michael Howard to threaten Spain with war?
    Remind me, what role did Michael Howard have in governing the UK at that time? How many troops did he have under his command?

(And what he actually said was that he was "absolutely certain" Theresa May "will show the same resolve in standing by the people of Gibraltar" as Margaret Thatcher had done in the South Atlantic. Number 10 side-stepped that by saying such conflict "Isn't going to happen"....let's hope they are right.)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

In TM speech today in Manchester she said for women politics can be as much about listening and learning from others than it is about broadcasting your opinions. She has a different style of politics and advised all women in politics to be youself and dont try to be like a sterotype man in order to get on and believe in what you are doing.

I think you’re right, that the wider public in general perceive her in much more of a positive light than the pro-Remain London media and the Westminster Village. Most people see someone doing a very difficult job pretty well given all the constraints.

Her speech than mentioned “Citizens of nowhere” was referring to the likes of Philip Green and Richard Branson, who make huge amounts of money in the UK but pay very little in taxes here. That does resonate with the average man, who resents the taxes he has to pay but can’t get out of it.
  • Options
    T minus 2 hours for the Spacex Falcon Heavy launch - Biggest rocket since Saturn V, if it goes boom that’s going to be a very big boom indeed.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Denmark's Social Democrats, part of the left-wing opposition and the country's largest party, on Monday proposed slashing the number of "non-Western" foreigners allowed into the EU member state.

"We want to introduce a cap on the number of non-Western foreigners who can come to Denmark," Social Democrats leader Mette Frederiksen said in a 44-page document which focused in particular on asylum seekers from Africa.

"We want to reform our asylum system, among other things, by setting up reception centres outside Europe, and in the future it will not be possible for refugees to obtain asylum in Denmark outside quotas set by the United Nations," she added."

https://www.thelocal.dk/20180206/denmarks-social-democrats-want-to-cap-non-western-asylum-seekers

This bloke from Sweden ain't too keen either..

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-42923549/hanif-bali-the-anti-immigration-immigrant-politician
  • Options

I see it's a pleasant afternoon on here: full of hyberbole, synthetic outrage and windy rhetoric.

I think I'll go back to working.

Oh come on in, the water's lovely....
  • Options

Remind me, what role did Michael Howard have in governing the UK at that time? How many troops did he have under his command?

(And what he actually said was that he was "absolutely certain" Theresa May "will show the same resolve in standing by the people of Gibraltar" as Margaret Thatcher had done in the South Atlantic. Number 10 side-stepped that by saying such conflict "Isn't going to happen"....let's hope they are right.)

His words were misrepresented in exactly the same way as Cameron's were. The interesting thing is that people here and elsewhere continue to feel they have to make absurdly partisan misrepresentations of things said two years ago during the campaign. It's surely time to grow up now.
  • Options

I'm sorry but you can't equate a partisan audience with "the public" and then say her style resounds.

IDS could get applause from an audience. Anyone can.
    Well the media were impressed with her response
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Theresa May has denounced citizens of nowhere. She has been silent when the tabloids accused judges of being enemies of the people. She has used EU citizens as bargaining chips. She has been complicit in talk of saboteurs.

How dare she talk about the tone of bitterness and aggression in the public debate?

Why is being in the former grouping such an insult?
    It implies that they somehow don't care about their country at all or as much as the other group. And that is not fair. Some may not - the Philip Greens of this world, for instance, people who view a country as somewhere to do business but not somewhere they pay taxes - but being cosmopolitan does not make you someone who does not care about the country they live in.

And there is also an unpleasant sub-text to the rootless cosmopolitan meme, which I'm sure I don't need to spell out to you.
    But it is a step further than that to say one is a citizen of the world. That is not just being cosmopolitan. I am sure that I am just as cosmopolitan as you if judged by how far i have travelled, the languages I speak and my view if the people's of the world. But to go further than that and claim one is a citizen of the world is to make the implicit claim.that one no longer regards oneself as a citizen of the country of their birth. On that basis May was absolutely right to regard such people as having chosen to turn their backs on their country.
    It is odd though. Some of those in favour of Brexit want Britain to be open to the world not just stuck with the EU, the former being seen as a good thing.

And yet if some of its citizens also want to be open to the world, then that is seen as a bad thing.

It is very confusing.
    And, yet, you yourself wrote a thread header (or at the very least a lengthy comment) arguing that the "citizens of nowhere" meme did have merit as a political point. IIRC it revolved around those who took a lofty detached view of their obligations as citizens at a transient "global" level whilst taking advantage of the benefits of living in the UK (or, at its worst, doing that and sneering at it) but failing to appreciate it was that State that protected them with its laws, justice system, police force, and defence forces, much of which is provided and paid for by its everyday citizens.

I think you're just playing Devil's advocate, and venting a bit.
  • Options

If I was an adviser to Kim Jong May, I would be really pushing the idea of doing public events where the audience isn't all true blue supporters. Call Me Dave became very polished by regularly having to handle shouty audience members.

I know Jezza preaches to the cult, but they were open events and by doing so he (like Trump) can AB test the message.

I mean look at JRM, he seems to have got decent PR from shouty Maomentumers acting like dicks at his event.
    I was told Mrs May doesn't have advisers, just sycophants.

I have this theory the best PMs are ones which have done a decent stint as leader of the opposition.

You learn to hone your skills there.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

If I was an adviser to Kim Jong May, I would be really pushing the idea of doing public events where the audience isn't all true blue supporters. Call Me Dave became very polished by regularly having to handle shouty audience members.

I know Jezza preaches to the cult, but they were open events and by doing so he (like Trump) can AB test the message.

I mean look at JRM, he seems to have got decent PR from shouty Maomentumers acting like dicks at his event.
    Good job the man in the white shirt was there!!

I see he attends family dos dressed in Nazi uniform.
  • Options

In TM speech today in Manchester she said for women politics can be as much about listening and learning from others than it is about broadcasting your opinions. She has a different style of politics and advised all women in politics to be youself and dont try to be like a sterotype man in order to get on and believe in what you are doing.

Mrs May has no majority, a serious health condition, and is having to govern as best she can, at the same time dealing on a daily basis with Soubrys, Johnsons and Moggs all fighting each other like rats in a sack. It's hard not to feel a great deal of sympathy for her predicament. It's not easy to see who could do a better job at the moment.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

How do you explain her pre-referendum speech in favour of Remain which must have been a setback for Nick Timothy?
  • Options

I'm stating a fact.

Time alone will tell - she has many faults but does seem to have quite a bit of public support. I accept she will go in time but name anyone who could command wider support just now
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Sandpit said:

T minus 2 hours for the Spacex Falcon Heavy launch - Biggest rocket since Saturn V, if it goes boom that’s going to be a very big boom indeed.

I can't wait!

But how do you measure that? Wasn't the Space Shuttle much heavier than F9H, and had more thrust with the SRB's, but could launch less payload to LEO as the shuttle itself did not count as payload?

Also, surely Energia/Buran was 'bigger' (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Energia alone was).
  • Options

How do you explain her pre-referendum speech in favour of Remain which must have been a setback for Nick Timothy?
    Like many she was expecting Remain to win, comfortably.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018

I see you have been in skwawkbox again...You must be their #1 visitor every day.
  • Options

I'm stating a fact.

Time alone will tell - she has many faults but does seem to have quite a bit of public support. I accept she will go in time but name anyone who could command wider support just now
    David Cameron, Ruth Davidson, a tub of lard.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Mrs May has no majority, a serious health condition, and is having to govern as best she can, at the same time dealing on a daily basis with Soubrys, Johnsons and Moggs all fighting each other like rats in a sack. It's hard not to feel a great deal of sympathy for her predicament. It's not easy to see who could do a better job at the moment.
    If only those pesky voters had given her a massive majority
  • Options

I have this theory the best PMs are ones which have done a decent stint as leader of the opposition.

A two year stint clearly did IDS a fat lot of good.

Perhaps Corbyn needs ten or fifteen years.
  • Options

Was that Ed Balls
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The trial of three former Tesco executives charged with fraud and false accounting has been abandoned. The Serious Fraud Office will decide in early March whether to pursue a re-trial.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42943382

Another successful prosecution by the SFO.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sandpit said:

Is it going to be live on the usual news channels ?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

"Corbyn needs ten or fifteen years."

Yes. Maximum security.

• Options

I'm stating a fact.

Why do you spoil a good answer
  • Options

IDS is unfairly maligned.

IDS only had two flaws, everything he said and everything he did, apart from that he was perfect.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It is one of my biggest regrets that I have never seen a launch live in person.

I have done Kennedy, seen the space shuttle on the launch pad, but the launch got delayed by several months at the last minute and I didn't get to witness it.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

Is it going to be live on the usual news channels ?
    We are in the 21st Century now, its on the YouTubes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

Sandpit said:

I can't wait!

But how do you measure that? Wasn't the Space Shuttle much heavier than F9H, and had more thrust with the SRB's, but could launch less payload to LEO as the shuttle itself did not count as payload?

Also, surely Energia/Buran was 'bigger' (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Energia alone was).
    I think it's biggest rocket in terms of payload.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That's the real trouble with bitcoins -- it's driven up the price of computer components to shocking levels. (That and caused a spate of grown men shoving small girls into pools, streams and other inland waterways.)
    On the positive side, it's caused massive investment in GPUs by nVidia and the like, so graphics cards are likely to be much cheaper in the future.

Maybe - by making GPUs so much cheaper in the long-run - VR will be the real winner from Bitcoin.
    There's an argument that exactly the opposite is happening: nVidia is not innovating as much as they would if they had a real competitor: and AMD isn't that. Worse, they are both being distracted by making cards specifically for coin mining and automotive, which are only of tangential use to gamers.

nVidia really needs a decent competitor.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Sandpit said:

I can't wait!

Shuttle thrust and weight were both greater than Falcon Heavy, also it had solid boosters and no Launch Abort System which meant the design was inherently more dangerous for Human Space Flight.
    I'd put this down as a more important maiden launch than STS-1 in 1981 actually, but obviously below Saturn V's analogous launch.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

rcs1000 said:

There's an argument that exactly the opposite is happening: nVidia is not innovating as much as they would if they had a real competitor: and AMD isn't that. Worse, they are both being distracted by making cards specifically for coin mining and automotive, which are only of tangential use to gamers.

As I use CUDA a lot, I am totally invested in the nVidia eco system, so I don't keep a close eye on Team Red, but I thought the latest breed of AMD were significantly better and good enough to challenge nVidia for general purpose?
  • Options

The trial of three former Tesco executives charged with fraud and false accounting has been abandoned. The Serious Fraud Office will decide in early March whether to pursue a re-trial.

TBF to the SFO it is a bugger when one of the defendants has a heart attack mid trial.

As an aside there is a school of thought that say complex financial crimes trials should be done without a jury.

They are far too long and complex for most ordinary people to sit on a jury.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

I'm stating a fact.

David Cameron who blew the referendum?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

I can't wait!

Shuttle thrust and weight were both greater than Falcon Heavy, also it had solid boosters and no Launch Abort System which meant the design was inherently more dangerous for Human Space Flight.
    I'd put this down as a more important maiden launch than STS-1 in 1981 actually, but obviously below Saturn V's analogous launch.
    I wouldn't. The Shuttle was a glorious failure, but it flew well over ?130? times with a couple of failures, and kept the US in manned spaceflight for three decades.

Just today, Musk was rowing back from F9H being the future: AIUI even Grey Dragon has been cancelled. This, I fear, is a mistake. SpaceX see the F9H as a dead-end.
  • Options

TBF to the SFO it is a bugger when one of the defendants has a heart attack mid trial.

As an aside there is a school of thought that say complex financial crimes trials should be done without a jury.

They are far too long and complex for most ordinary people to sit on a jury.
    I thought Labour were going / did change the law to allow that to happen in certain circumstances?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

As I use CUDA a lot, I am totally invested in the nVidia eco system, so I don't keep a close eye on Team Red, but I thought the latest breed of AMD were significantly better and good enough to challenge nVidia for general purpose?
    IANAE, but AIUI the latest ?Vega? chipsets are competitive at the lower and mid range, but nowhere near nVidia's offerings at the high end.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited February 2018

Sandpit said:

I have done Kennedy, seen the space shuttle on the launch pad, but the launch got delayed by several months at the last minute and I didn't get to witness it.
    My uncle worked in Cammell Lairds on the Arc Royal in 1955 and he promised us tickets for the launch. As an 11 year old in those days of shipbuilding I was looking forward to it immensely but sadly just before the launch he died and we were not able to go.

So I was very upset at my Uncle's death and not seeing the launching ceremony
  • Options

I see you have been in skwawkbox again...You must be their #1 visitor every day.
    Daily Mail
  • Options
    O/T

"Qantas’s daily non-stop 17-hour flights between Perth and London will take off in March, marking a milestone in Australian aviation history.

When Qantas first flew from Australia to London in 1935, it took 12 days and 31 stops. At that time, next month’s non-stop flight direct to Europe could not have been dreamed of.

Seats are still available on the inaugural flight on March 24, with return economy fares available online for about $1800."

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/travel/2018/01/12/qantas-perth-london-non-stop/
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

I can't wait!

I wouldn't. The Shuttle was a glorious failure, but it flew well over ?130? times with a couple of failures, and kept the US in manned spaceflight for three decades.

Just today, Musk was rowing back from F9H being the future: AIUI even Grey Dragon has been cancelled. This, I fear, is a mistake. SpaceX see the F9H as a dead-end.
    The shuttle kept the US in low earth orbit for 30 years. It was dire, and a step back from Saturn V/Apollo.

F9H will plug the gap till BFR arrives (It can't be an error to continually innovate in my opinion) and everyone knows that'll be delayed by eons.

Lord only knows how you get the shuttle AFTER Apollo, if you showed an alien race that timeline they wouldn't believe it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

TGOHF said:

Danny565 said:

Justine Greening has said it would be "a stretch" to stay in the Tories if Jacob Rees-Mogg becomes leader.

And this is how the government potentially falls / a new election is triggered long before 2022.

Yet we don't see JRM or Bill Cash saying similar re Soubry or Greening.

Tells me who the intolerant ones are.
    The most recent defectors from the Tory party were the hardcore Leavers who did their best to make Ed Miliband Prime Minister.
    The Tory defectors before that were the hardcore Europhiles who did their bit to keep Tony Blair and Gordon Brown as Prime Minister.

I know who my ire is reserved for.
    You mean IDS and the rebels in the 1992 who practically were the midwives to the Labour landslide.
    You seem to have blanked out Shaun Woodward. You know, the Labour MP with a butler.... The one that allowed David Cameron to become an MP.

Whatever happened to that pair?
    Shaun Woodward defected over Section 28.
    Last seen in the US, according to Wikipedia.
    His daughter is “deliciously Ella” though

Just shows what a young entrepreneur can do to build a business from scratch with nothing but a good idea, hard work, media contacts and Camilla Sainsbury as your mother
  • Options

"Corbyn needs ten or fifteen years."

Yes. Maximum security.

I would strongly encourage Jeremy Corbyn to subscribe to the Hokusai School of On-the-Job Training to be Leader of the Opposition:

"When I was fifty I had published a universe of designs. But all I have done before the age of seventy is not worth bothering with. At seventy-five I'll have learned something of the pattern of nature, of animals, of plants, of trees, birds, fish and insects. When I am eighty you will see real progress. At ninety I shall have cut my way deeply into the mystery of life itself. At one hundred, I shall be a marvellous artist. At 110, everything I create; a dot, a line, will jump to life as never before."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited February 2018

Normally but not always, Ted Heath did 5 years in opposition and Harold Macmillan was never leader of the opposition
  • Options

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5357181/Man-defended-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-pictured-Nazi-uniform.html
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I'm stating a fact.

David Cameron the only Tory to win a majority this century.

On his worst day he's still a better leader/PM than Mrs May.
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop As for FH's already planned obselescence, that's a positive. Musk continually pushes SpaceX to innovate and doesn't worry about sunk costs.
  • Options
    Just as a matter of interest would anyone on here attend "a family do" dressed as a Nazi??

• Options

Sandpit said:

I can't wait!

Hmm, in terms of payload it’s definitely second, but I think you’re right that the Shuttle with SRBs produced more thrust. (Goes off to try and find definiteive numbers...)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2018

Just as a matter of interest would anyone on here attend "a family do" dressed as a Nazi??

If it's Fancy Dress.

Why do people dress as Stormtroopers, witches or other "villains"?
  • Options

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5357181/Man-defended-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-pictured-Nazi-uniform.html
    Its a total coincidence that you can't find that on the front page of the Daily Mail website, but it is the top story on skwawkbox, just like every other post you make.
  • Options
    As for the thread header, my tickle into Capita has returned 25%+ in just a few days ;)
  • Options
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I'm stating a fact.

On his second attempt. Who's to say that Mrs May couldn't win a majority on her second attempt?
  • Options
    I just can't find the words to fully describe what an enormous bell-end he is.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I'm stating a fact.

He was a good leader but he was lazy and thought he could walk a referendum. He did not and May now has his poisoned chalice
  • Options

Not a family do, I might do for a history society do in a Afrika Korps outfit.

Always admired Rommel felt sorry for him, he had to fight with the Italians on his side, that's like fighting alongside the French.
  • Options
    VinnyVinny Posts: 48
    Who cares what Labour think they will do.
  • Options

I just can't find the words to fully describe what an enormous bell-end he is.
    He's going out of his way to pander to the cis-human community. What about people who identify as other species, or even as robots?
  • Options

Ed Balls did
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

"Qantas’s daily non-stop 17-hour flights between Perth and London will take off in March, marking a milestone in Australian aviation history.

When Qantas first flew from Australia to London in 1935, it took 12 days and 31 stops. At that time, next month’s non-stop flight direct to Europe could not have been dreamed of.

Seats are still available on the inaugural flight on March 24, with return economy fares available online for about $1800."

Who the hell would want to spend 17 hours non-stop in an economy class seat. I suspect they’ll end up reconfiguring the planes with more premium seats, anyone going from U.K. to Aus in cattle is probably grateful for the tech stop in the Middle East or Asia.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I'm stating a fact.

He was a good leader but he was lazy and thought he could walk a referendum. He did not and May now has his poisoned chalice
    He ran two positive campaigns in 2014 and 2015 and a negative one in 2016. The positive ones were successful and the negative one was a disaster.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

I can't wait!

The shuttle kept the US in low earth orbit for 30 years. It was dire, and a step back from Saturn V/Apollo.

F9H will plug the gap till BFR arrives (It can't be an error to continually innovate in my opinion) and everyone knows that'll be delayed by eons.

Lord only knows how you get the shuttle AFTER Apollo, if you showed an alien race that timeline they wouldn't believe it.
    Because it was part of a proposed system to get to Mars as part of the post-Apollo Integrated Program Plan. There was also due to be a space tug, a nuclear engine (NERVA), a space station and a moon base. It all made glorious sense from an engineering POV, but not from a political one.

One by one, everything got cancelled except for the Shuttle, which came darned near to getting canned.

The Shuttle decisions all made sense at the time, and only seem ridiculous with hindsight. I can recommend Happenheimr's 'The Space Shuttle decision'. Available in dead-tree format, and on-line:

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4221/contents.htm
  • Options
    edited February 2018

GIN1138 said:

I'm stating a fact.

On his second attempt. Who's to say that Mrs May couldn't win a majority on her second attempt?
    Fair point. (Although I doubt history will see her given the chance to prove that....)

And to May's eternal credit, she did not have to crawl up Nick Clegg's alimentary canal to get to Number 10.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Who the hell would want to spend 17 hours non-stop in an economy class seat. I suspect they’ll end up reconfiguring the planes with more premium seats, anyone going from U.K. to Aus in cattle is probably grateful for the tech stop in the Middle East or Asia.
    In peasant class, I can't do much more than 8hrs without wanting to start fighting somebody!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I'm stating a fact.

At every general election the Tories made net gains under Cameron, something Mrs May failed spectacularly to match.

But for Ruth Davidson we would have had very much likely had PM Corbyn.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

I would, happily. Why wouldn't you prefer non-stop, if economy is what you're able to pay for?

You sound very snooty there.
  • Options

Its a total coincidence that you can't find that on the front page of the Daily Mail website, but it is the top story on skwawkbox, just like every other post you make.
    BJO has been fighting a lost cause on this. JRM came out of it a winner and momentum members wearing balaclavas were exposd together with the leaders girlfriend
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yup, watching a Shuttle launch and flying on Concorde are my two biggest regrets at missing. Amazing how sometimes technology moves backwards...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

I can't wait!

Because it was part of a proposed system to get to Mars as part of the post-Apollo Integrated Program Plan. There was also due to be a space tug, a nuclear engine (NERVA), a space station and a moon base. It all made glorious sense from an engineering POV, but not from a political one.

One by one, everything got cancelled except for the Shuttle, which came darned near to getting canned.

The Shuttle decisions all made sense at the time, and only seem ridiculous with hindsight. I can recommend Happenheimr's 'The Space Shuttle decision'. Available in dead-tree format, and on-line:

Noone put back space more than Richard bloody Nixon.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yup, watching a Shuttle launch and flying on Concorde are my two biggest regrets at missing. Amazing how sometimes technology moves backwards...
    Mrs Urquhart got to see the launch...its doesn't grind with me at all...no at all....grrrrrrhhhhhhh
  • Options

I bow to your superior knowledge of Skwawkbox you seem to be obsessed by it are you secretly its #1 visitor

• Options

I bow to your superior knowledge of Skwawkbox you seem to be obsessed by it are you secretly its #1 visitor

No, its very simple. I see your post with no link. And I log on to Skwawkbox to find by magic it is their top story....every single time...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

I would, happily. Why wouldn't you prefer non-stop, if economy is what you're able to pay for?

Not at all, if I were doing the trip myself I’d be happy for a couple of hours in Singapore or Dubai to stretch the legs and get some decent food. I’ve done 9 hours in economy and that was more than enough!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

More to the point - who would want to spend 17 hours non-stop in an economy seat - and end up in Perth? Poor bastards.....
  • Options

Whereas you, of course, have never visited.....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Mrs Urquhart got to see the launch...its doesn't grind with me at all...no at all....grrrrrrhhhhhhh
    That makes it a hundred times worse!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

As for the thread header, my tickle into Capita has returned 25%+ in just a few days ;)

Well done, I've been dithering! Mind you, it will probably be volatile.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That makes it a hundred times worse!
    And of course, she never mentions it...like never ever...especially when there is stuff like the launch this evening...about how incredible the sound is, the ground shaking as the engines go, the blast you get even from the viewing area which is along way away...
  • Options
    Well, that's REMAIN's slogan for Referendum 2 sorted:

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/960909162044588032
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

I can't wait!

Noone put back space more than Richard bloody Nixon.
    It wasn't Nixon's fault really. Congress started slashing NASA's budget in ?1966/7?, well before the Apollo program got man on the moon. Nixon could only work with what Congress and the ?OBR? allowed him.

He did at least save Skylab and started the Shuttle program.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Not a family do, I might do for a history society do in a Afrika Korps outfit.

Always admired Rommel felt sorry for him, he had to fight with the Italians on his side, that's like fighting alongside the French.

This event always has more Germans than Allies

http://www.ashdowncamp.com/events.html

And the surviving cast of 'Allo 'Allo were there too last year, in uniform.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Well done, I've been dithering! Mind you, it will probably be volatile.
    Well it isn't crystallised yet (I see no reason to make Hargreaves Lansdowne richer) but the rights option might present a nice opportunity as well, of course it gets easier for the board as the price rises to produce one ;)
  • Options

No, its very simple. I see your post with no link. And I log on to Skwawkbox to find by magic it is their top story....every single time...
    Hang on i am just composing a post about a
    GOVT ‘SCAM’ TO REMOVE POST OFFICES WITHOUT YOU NOTICING

Anyone have a link??
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    If Trinity Mirror does eventually take over Express Newspapers, will its political stance coverage change ?
  • Options

ttps://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/960909162044588032

That could easily have been predicted. I’m going to take a wild guess that the day we formally leave the political structures will be the day before they unveil a load of new financial services regulation and taxes aimed squarely at London.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

If Trinity Mirror does eventually take over Express Newspapers, will its political stance coverage change ?

Depends if they want to keep their readership or not...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Not at all, if I were doing the trip myself I’d be happy for a couple of hours in Singapore or Dubai to stretch the legs and get some decent food. I’ve done 9 hours in economy and that was more than enough!
    Once flew economy from NZ to San Fancisco, then San Fancisco to Heathrow. Pretty grim. First leg was OK, and until a couple of minutes before take-off, thought I had a spare seat next to me. Then this giant appeared. He must have been six foot six plus - across the shoulders. And as he completely invaded my personal space, that was when his body odour hit me....
  • Options

Have they given you the gig?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

My prediction, by 2021 The Express will be campaigning for us to rejoin the EU.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

My prediction, by 2021 The Express will be campaigning for us to rejoin the EU.
    That will be when they have less readers than the Guardian, if newspapers still exist then...
This discussion has been closed.