Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jon Trickett – Labour’s man to sort out the outsourcing mess?

124»

Comments

• Options

Yorkcity said:

If Trinity Mirror does eventually take over Express Newspapers, will its political stance coverage change ?

Eventually/gradually.

My prediction, by 2021 The Express will be campaigning for us to rejoin the EU.
    That will be when they have less readers than the Guardian, if newspapers still exist then...
    I'm fairly certain in 2000 The Express were supporting our membership of the single currency.

That was when they were owned by Labour peer Lord Hollick.

The readers are used to major editorial shifts.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Yorkcity said:

If Trinity Mirror does eventually take over Express Newspapers, will its political stance coverage change ?

Depends if they want to keep their readership or not...
    I'm not convinced it'd make a difference. When Rosie Boycott edited the Express it was pro-New Labour. Circulation didn't change much, it just continued its gradual slide. By definition, Express readers are perhaps the least discerning of any national newspaper.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

"HOUSE PRICES TO SOAR IF WE JOIN EURO"
  • Options
    The letters to Sir Graham Brady are getting drafted?

https://twitter.com/joncraig/status/960896625299386369
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

That will be when they have less readers than the Guardian, if newspapers still exist then...
    I can recommend a very informative online news site!!!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:

Not a family do, I might do for a history society do in a Afrika Korps outfit.

Always admired Rommel felt sorry for him, he had to fight with the Italians on his side, that's like fighting alongside the French.

This event always has more Germans than Allies

http://www.ashdowncamp.com/events.html

And the surviving cast of 'Allo 'Allo were there too last year, in uniform.
    A very good friend of mine from Austin, TX has a father who was a Vietnam vet. He went to one of these re-enactment events last year - and discovered that one of the Vietnam re-enactment people was being him. Not sure who was more weirded out....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2018

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

I'm fairly certain in 2000 The Express were supporting our membership of the single currency.

I have to say I never quite understand what demographic the Express caters for...if you want tittle tattle, the Currant Bun or Mirror, if you want tittle tattle and right wing politics, the Mail, if you want Royal Conspiracy Theories, tittle tattle and right wing politics, The Express?

I don't see what the Mirror group, who is hardly in rude health, see in buying up the Express and Star. Most of their value seemed to be pushing Desmond's tv channels and shows.
  • Options
    More good news from the courts today:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/960880895598178304
  • Options

I assume the ERG is so named just to annoy the TRG?
  • Options
    Should we expect an outpouring of protest and disgust from Guardianistas?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Does the European Research Group do actual research into the EU ?
  • Options

Like Midlanders who want to be Northerners, we Northerner TRGers take it as a compliment.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Thoughts on suffragettes by an Independent Yorkshire Blogger .http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

I have to say I never quite understand what demographic the Express caters for...if you want tittle tattle, the Currant Bun or Mirror, if you want tittle tattle and right wing politics, the Mail, if you want Royal Conspiracy Theories, tittle tattle and right wing politics, The Express?
    Express caters for those with a keen eye on extreme weather
  • Options
    T -1hr....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842
    Why on Earth should the legal system drop it, just because he ran away and hid for a few years? I wonder how close Ecuador are to pushing him through the door onto the street?

Maybe all the luvvies that lost their bail money will sue him too, just to add to his woes?
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

Statins, weather, pensions, Brexit and Princess Diana.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Why on Earth should the legal system drop it, just because he ran away and hid for a few years? I wonder how close Ecuador are to pushing him through the door onto the street?

Maybe all the luvvies that lost their bail money will sue him too, just to add to his woes?
    Pamela Anderson will be there for him though...
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

I don't see what the Mirror group, who is hardly in rude health, see in buying up the Express and Star. Most of their value seemed to be pushing Desmond's tv channels and shows.
    Fans of Princess Diana and ever-rising house prices? Edit: and cancer causes/cures.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

and arthritis cures.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

Do they still have a news desk?

When did the Express last have anything approaching a scoop? That didn't have the word "pooper" preceding it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Sandpit said:

Well, that's REMAIN's slogan for Referendum 2 sorted:

ttps://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/960909162044588032

That could easily have been predicted. I’m going to take a wild guess that the day we formally leave the political structures will be the day before they unveil a load of new financial services regulation and taxes aimed squarely at London.
    I think you overestimate the ability of the EU to do things quickly.

The day we leave, they'll start the process, feverishly, and it will finally be ready two years later, just as we exit the transition...
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

When did the Express last have anything approaching a scoop? That didn't have the word "pooper" preceding it?
    We used to get the Express (back in John Junor's day) and the Mirror. My father and my grandmother liked the crosswords in both papers.
  • Options
    I’m not going to be happy if I stay up half the night watching this only for them to scrub at the last minute.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2018
    Today's ICM / Guardian:

Con 41% (nc)
    Lab 40% (-1)
    LD 8% (+1)
    UKIP 4% (nc)
    Greens 3% (nc)
    SNP 3% (nc)
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

In TM speech today in Manchester she said for women politics can be as much about listening and learning from others than it is about broadcasting your opinions. She has a different style of politics and advised all women in politics to be youself and dont try to be like a sterotype man in order to get on but be yourself and believe in what you are doing.

This was followed by applause from her audience.

I think many underestimate how much her style resounds with the public

It was a handpicked audience, I'd be astonished if there wasn't applause.
    If I was an adviser to Kim Jong May, I would be really pushing the idea of doing public events where the audience isn't all true blue supporters. Call Me Dave became very polished by regularly having to handle shouty audience members.

I know Jezza preaches to the cult, but they were open events and by doing so he (like Trump) can AB test the message.

I mean look at JRM, he seems to have got decent PR from shouty Maomentumers acting like dicks at his event.
    Good job the man in the white shirt was there!!

I see he attends family dos dressed in Nazi uniform.
    I see you have been in skwawkbox again...You must be their #1 visitor every day.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5357181/Man-defended-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-pictured-Nazi-uniform.html
    Its a total coincidence that you can't find that on the front page of the Daily Mail website, but it is the top story on skwawkbox, just like every other post you make.
    BJO has been fighting a lost cause on this. JRM came out of it a winner and momentum members wearing balaclavas were exposd together with the leaders girlfriend
    Wrong.For evidence,read The Squakbox.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

Madeleine McCann.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Today's ICM / Guardian:

Con 41% (nc)
    Lab 40% (-1)
    LD 8% (+1)
    UKIP 4% (nc)
    Greens 3% (nc)
    SNP 3% (nc)

CROSSOVER!!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I’m not going to be happy if I stay up half the night watching this only for them to scrub at the last minute.
    Lol Have you paid attention to Elon Musks' "projected timelines" for the last 10+ years :) ?
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

The story about the Queens Swans surely
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Yorkcity said:

Eventually/gradually.

I've always thought of the Express as the right's mad, racist Auntie.
  • Options
    My heart bleeds for him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Lol Have you paid attention to Elon Musks' "projected timelines" for the last 10+ years :) ?
    I don’t care if it’s six months or six years late, that’s easy to reschedule. Six hours late is really annoying though.
  • Options
    It is now launch time of 2:50 pm EST btw.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

I don’t care if it’s six months or six years late, that’s easy to reschedule. Six hours late is really annoying though.
    It won't be 6 hours late, the window slams shut at 4 EST.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That could easily have been predicted. I’m going to take a wild guess that the day we formally leave the political structures will be the day before they unveil a load of new financial services regulation and taxes aimed squarely at London.
    ... and formally start inspecting all delivery lorries returning to the EU after delivering food supplies. Slow down the supply chain and starve us into submission. We'll be digging for victory before we know it.
  • Options
    15:05 EST launch time now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

It won't be 6 hours late, the window slams shut at 4 EST.
    Not too bad then, but that’s still my 1am!
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/status/960566739573575681

Follow link to see what we are throwing away.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

... and formally start inspecting all delivery lorries returning to the EU after delivering food supplies. Slow down the supply chain and starve us into submission. We'll be digging for victory before we know it.
    You're way behind the curve. I've already planted quinoa in my windowbox in readiness for the lean years.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Are we counting down to the Rees-Mogg putsch?
  • Options

Hey, at least they're not wasting our money on competent graphic designers.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889
    Pulpstar said:

IMO it won't happen today.

(I say that because my record of predictions is so poor, that my saying it will not happen means it almost certainly will. But does acknowledging that fact jinx it, so it now won't happen?)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Why is being in the former grouping such an insult?
    It implies that they somehow don't care about their country at all or as much as the other group. And that is not fair. Some may not - the Philip Greens of this world, for instance, people who view a country as somewhere to do business but not somewhere they pay taxes - but being cosmopolitan does not make you someone who does not care about the country they live in.

And there is also an unpleasant sub-text to the rootless cosmopolitan meme, which I'm sure I don't need to spell out to you.
    But it is a step further than that to say one is a citizen of the world. That is not just being cosmopolitan. I am sure that I am just as cosmopolitan as you if judged by how far i have travelled, the languages I speak and my view if the people's of the world. But to go further than that and claim one is a citizen of the world is to make the implicit claim.that one no longer regards oneself as a citizen of the country of their birth. On that basis May was absolutely right to regard such people as having chosen to turn their backs on their country.
    It is odd though. Some of those in favour of Brexit want Britain to be open to the world not just stuck with the EU, the former being seen as a good thing.

And yet if some of its citizens also want to be open to the world, then that is seen as a bad thing.

It is very confusing.
    And, yet, you yourself wrote a thread header (or at the very least a lengthy comment) arguing that the "citizens of nowhere" meme did have merit as a political point. IIRC it revolved around those who took a lofty detached view of their obligations as citizens at a transient "global" level whilst taking advantage of the benefits of living in the UK (or, at its worst, doing that and sneering at it) but failing to appreciate it was that State that protected them with its laws, justice system, police force, and defence forces, much of which is provided and paid for by its everyday citizens.

I think you're just playing Devil's advocate, and venting a bit.
    A lawyer, playing Devil's advocate. The very idea!

It is possible to criticise those who take advantage of what the state provides them without wishing to fulfil their obligations to that state while at the same time saying that people who have a cosmopolitan outward view of themselves in the world should not be seen as somehow hating their country. I would classify myself, for instance, as the latter: I love this country but have a British and European identity and intensely dislike the Faragist view of Britain and its place in the world.
  • Options
    F1: if you missed it earlier, here's my pre-test ramble:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/early-pre-season-musings.html

I don't plan on commenting, in blogs, on the grid girls/kids/gnomes nonsense any further, unless something significant occurs.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

LOL!
  • Options
    See DJI just dipped into loss territory in last few minutes

Volatility maxed out
  • Options

See DJI just dipped into loss territory in last few minutes

Volatility maxed out

And now up 64 in a minute
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    rcs1000 said:

Hey, at least they're not wasting our money on competent graphic designers.
    That looks like it was done *in* 1993, perhaps on an Amiga 500. Truly awful.
  • Options

The trial of three former Tesco executives charged with fraud and false accounting has been abandoned. The Serious Fraud Office will decide in early March whether to pursue a re-trial.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42943382

Another successful prosecution by the SFO.

TBF to the SFO it is a bugger when one of the defendants has a heart attack mid trial.

As an aside there is a school of thought that say complex financial crimes trials should be done without a jury.

They are far too long and complex for most ordinary people to sit on a jury.
    I profoundly disagree. Having done the UK's biggest fraud trial I think juries are absolutely the right people to assess whether someone is dishonest or not. They can see right through all the technical stuff to the heart of the matter. Is this person honest?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Wouldn't that countdown be in Roman numerals?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,349
    edited February 2018

Like Midlanders who want to be Northerners, we Northerner TRGers take it as a compliment.
    Wouldn't that be the EeeeRG ?

Sorry... T' EeeeRG.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

You're way behind the curve. I've already planted quinoa in my windowbox in readiness for the lean years.
    Gosh. You are so Metropolotan Elite :-)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

מנא מנא תקל ופרסין
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889

Pulpstar said:

Surely it'd never launch, as Romans didn't have a zero ?
  • Options
    edited February 2018

F1: if you missed it earlier, here's my pre-test ramble:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/early-pre-season-musings.html

I don't plan on commenting, in blogs, on the grid girls/kids/gnomes nonsense any further, unless something significant occurs.

That’s a good piece, I agree with you that the biggest known unknown is the performance of the Renault engine.

Current markets seem to have the Mercedes > Ferrari > Renault > Honda power unit running order maintained for next season, hence the Renault users are currently good value.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,349
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

I think you overestimate the ability of the EU to do things quickly.

The day we leave, they'll start the process, feverishly, and it will finally be ready two years later, just as we exit the transition...
    If they wanted to be pissy, they could, for example, suspend the single air aviation agreement quite quickly. I don't expect the backbench usual suspects will be quite as sanguine as you on this.

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Mr. 1000, not au fait with such things, but sounds a little similar to the vicious cycle of silver price declines that happened when some chap or other (brothers?) stockpiled a lot and the price went down, which forced them to sell some off, further depressing the price. Eventually it reached the 'right' level.

Nelson Bunker Hunt?
    The Hunt brothers, multi billionaires, back in the early 1980's hit upon the idea of buying all the available silver on the world market. This forced the price of silver up, and due to the multiplier effect, on both gold and platinum. I suspect that the Hunt's had just planned on new and reserve silver, what they hadn't anticipated was people digging out the family silverware and flogging it off for scrap. They did not have enough money to buy it all, and went bankrupt. The precious metal prices collapsed.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited February 2018

Pulpstar said:

I can't remember what 51, 6, and 500 are in Roman numerals, I am LIVID.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen my coat?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/960909162044588032

The EU must suspect we are going to go all French on them during the transition - and not actually give a flying fuck about the consequences of ignoring them....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The trial of three former Tesco executives charged with fraud and false accounting has been abandoned. The Serious Fraud Office will decide in early March whether to pursue a re-trial.

TBF to the SFO it is a bugger when one of the defendants has a heart attack mid trial.

As an aside there is a school of thought that say complex financial crimes trials should be done without a jury.

I profoundly disagree. Having done the UK's biggest fraud trial I think juries are absolutely the right people to assess whether someone is dishonest or not. They can see right through all the technical stuff to the heart of the matter. Is this person honest?
    So, basically the most important thing is to look honest.

I wonder if good/honest looking people are more likely to be acquitted.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Boom Tish
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

So, basically the most important thing is to look honest.

No. Fraudsters are, in my experience, very good bullshitters. And they believe their own propaganda. So they go into the witness box thinking they can pull another fast one. And they get found out.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

If they wanted to be pissy, they could, for example, suspend the single air aviation agreement quite quickly. I don't expect the backbench usual suspects will be quite as sanguine as you on this.

Tony Blair did warn that the Tories' Euroscepticism would turn Britain into the "eunuch" of the EU...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/jul/10/uk.eu
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Spacex web broadcast pushed back to 20:10GMT.
    http://www.spacex.com/webcast
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

We'll know when Rees Mogg is to take power, by the white smoke.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Pulpstar said:

Pun doesn't work. You've just proved you can remember it.

Now when I see Michael Gove, I remember to start with C things he said, V cock-ups he's made...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    GIN1138 said:

In TM speech today in Manchester she said for women politics can be as much about listening and learning from others than it is about broadcasting your opinions. She has a different style of politics and advised all women in politics to be youself and dont try to be like a sterotype man in order to get on but be yourself and believe in what you are doing.

This was followed by applause from her audience.

I think many underestimate how much her style resounds with the public

It was a handpicked audience, I'd be astonished if there wasn't applause.
    You really have such a bias against her
    I'm stating a fact.

I've been right about Mrs May.
    Time alone will tell - she has many faults but does seem to have quite a bit of public support. I accept she will go in time but name anyone who could command wider support just now
    David Cameron, Ruth Davidson, a tub of lard.
    David Cameron who blew the referendum?
    Tub of lard who starred on HIGNFY?
  • Options

The very low profit margins achieved on public contracts by Carillion and Capita demonstrate how poor they are at negotiating contracts with the government sector, contrary to what Colin Crouch of Warwick Business School argues.
This discussion has been closed.