Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The little CON polling flurry has come at a bad time for the l

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Cyclefree said:

Since we seem to be drifting into Churchill territory, what's the general consensus here on the Darkest Hour film?

Went to see it a week ago and liked it, but had some reservations.

Undoubtedly a great performance by Gary Oldman. Many people find the Tube journey, with its perfectly constituted focus group, to be a bit crap.

Oldman will probably win both the BAFTA and the Oscar. But Phantom Thread is a far better film and I think that Daniel Day-Lewis gives a far, far better performance. DDL would get my vote. If I were looking to back a surprise winner at the Oscars, it would be DDL. Oldman is 1/20 with Betfred, DDL is 25/1......that shows how nailed on it looks for Oldman.
    I am probably going to be lynched. But here goes. Shouldn't Oldman's award be for Best Make Up?
    Hair and Make-up nailed on. Well, glued at least.....
    What's the betting Zuma wants a full pardon for his kleptomania - and to get to keep his ill-gotten gains. Or he's going nowhere.....
  • Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Remember when Brexit was going to destroy the London property market?

twitter.com/thomasknox/status/960994749363744769

Just wait until Commie Corbyn gets in and steals their second homes....
    Another excellent reason to vote Labour :)
    Are you serious - maybe come after your £200,000 and land investments as well
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

What's the betting Zuma wants a full pardon for his kleptomania - and to get to keep his ill-gotten gains. Or he's going nowhere.....

It would be excellent to see Mugabe and Zuma deposed within a few months of each other.
    Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Oh, by the way - he's taking your first home.

Because he can.
  • AndyJS said:

It would be excellent to see Mugabe and Zuma deposed within a few months of each other.
    I won't hold my breath that either of their successors will be any better though.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Nah, I will have cashed up and left the game by then.

I am planning a retirement village on my paddock, 50 or so, along with a builder partner. Designed to provide low intensity social care at an affordable price
    AndyJS said:

Deposing irreedemable shits like these two is Africa's only hope. Sadly, there are probably another 20 or 30 leaders who need to go as well.
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

I am planning a retirement village on my paddock, 50 or so, along with a builder partner. Designed to provide low intensity social care at an affordable price
    But Corbyn will take it off you at pre planning consent prices
  • Scott_P said:
    That is funny and who cares but remainers who have lost

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Only if he is PM in the next year or so.

Noel Edmonds has now set up an online radio station called Positively Noel.

Between songs, he plays messages about his case and encourages Lloyds staff to call his whistleblowing hotline. The songs all relate to the TV and radio host's campaign in some way - including Lunchmoney Lewis's Bills, and Don't Give Up by Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel.

The music is interspersed with anti-banking messages, mock Lloyds adverts and appeals for anyone who has had similar experiences to get in touch

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42963128

I think I will give it a miss thanks...

You lost me at "Noel Edmonds has..."
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Then you better Pray For May.....
  • Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

Hope everyone remembers that it's also the 100th anniversary of when working class blokes also got the vote ;)

IIRC most working-class men already had the vote. It was domestic servants that were the largest group of men to be enfranchised in 1918.
    About 40% of adult males did not have the vote until 1918.
    Correct. Even after the passing of the Third Reform Act in 1884, only 60% of male householders over the age of 21 had the vote.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Then you better Pray For May.....
    Nah. Plenty of time to get it underway, unless you expect Jezza to have a working majority before Brexit.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Remember when Brexit was going to destroy the London property market? 2017 saw record investment, and London reclaimed the number 1 golden crown for international investment, from NYC

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/960994749363744769

I remember you painfully vote Leave in the fear that your flat would fall in value.
    Indeed. The personal hit from a London property crash, and the added risk of a 2nd post-Brexit Scottish indy vote, were my main reasons for reluctantly voting Remain (against my heart, which yearned for Leave, along with much of my head)

In the end the heart and half of my head won the day, and I voted LEAVE. And it turns out Sindy is near dead and London is fine. I do not regret my vote, though I remain fearful of hard times ahead.
    A good outcome.

It turned out that well off people who were worried about the value of their investments, in the event of a Brexit vote, had nothing to worry about after all.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Scott_P said:
    Their butthurt doesn’t seem to be abating. Perhaps there is a cream.

Noel Edmonds has now set up an online radio station called Positively Noel.

Between songs, he plays messages about his case and encourages Lloyds staff to call his whistleblowing hotline. The songs all relate to the TV and radio host's campaign in some way - including Lunchmoney Lewis's Bills, and Don't Give Up by Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel.

The music is interspersed with anti-banking messages, mock Lloyds adverts and appeals for anyone who has had similar experiences to get in touch

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42963128

I think I will give it a miss thanks...

You lost me at "Noel Edmonds has..."
    He could always sponsor some bungee jumps.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

twitter.com/guidofawkes/status/961004140246786049

Of course, John McDonnell also attended....

Corbyn just doesn't give a s##t about associating with these people.
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Their butthurt doesn’t seem to be abating. Perhaps there is a cream.
    Sour? Whipped?
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

AndyJS said:

I won't hold my breath that either of their successors will be any better though.
    Yep,the attacks and murder of white farmers is increasing,south Africa following it's neighbour.
  • EU in real trouble tonight over their threat to the punish UK during transition with condemnation from leavers but also remainers.

The EU are shooting themselves in the foot over this and will get widespread condemnation. Looks as if they are jeopardising their 50 billion

Nope - we’ll cave.

TGOHF said:

Those are his people.

AndyJS said:

Yep,the attacks and murder of white farmers is increasing,south Africa following it's neighbour.
    Katie Hopkins was arrested earlierefor her reporting in the Eastern Cape:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/960891422235856898

AndyJS said:

I'd advise any White South African to get out while that's possible.
  • TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Those are his people.
    I just can't imagine the reaction if May casually spent her evenings at cozy get-togethers with well known Islamophobes like Tommy Robinson.
  • EU in real trouble tonight over their threat to the punish UK during transition with condemnation from leavers but also remainers.

The EU are shooting themselves in the foot over this and will get widespread condemnation. Looks as if they are jeopardising their 50 billion

Nope - we’ll cave.

This is going to get the voters back up. If the EU are seen as the enemy they will not get their 50 billion
  • Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Remember when Brexit was going to destroy the London property market? 2017 saw record investment, and London reclaimed the number 1 golden crown for international investment, from NYC

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/960994749363744769

I remember you painfully vote Leave in the fear that your flat would fall in value.
    Indeed. The personal hit from a London property crash, and the added risk of a 2nd post-Brexit Scottish indy vote, were my main reasons for reluctantly voting Remain (against my heart, which yearned for Leave, along with much of my head)

In the end the heart and half of my head won the day, and I voted LEAVE. And it turns out Sindy is near dead and London is fine. I do not regret my vote, though I remain fearful of hard times ahead.
    A good outcome.

It turned out that well off people who were worried about the value of their investments, in the event of a Brexit vote, had nothing to worry about after all.

The well off will be fine and were always going to be. The only real downside for London property owners is slower growth in house price rises. For as long as wealthy Chinese and Russian buyers look to get their money as far away from China and Russia as possible, things will be fine.

• OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Heard on news, ANC cannot promise a pardon, or keep Zuma out of jail, but may help with court costs.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

EU in real trouble tonight over their threat to the punish UK during transition with condemnation from leavers but also remainers.

Nope - we’ll cave.

This is going to get the voters back up. If the EU are seen as the enemy they will not get their 50 billion
    As far as I can tell, apart from we oddballs on PB, most people don't give a stuff about Brexit any more. BINO would not cause a civil uprising. As SO says, we'll cave in in this point, no question.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Over in the US, Republicans have failed in their final appeal on gerrymandering in Pennsylvania.
    This could cost them 3 or 4 seats come November.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Then the UK will fall off the cliff. But we are not going to inflict long-term economic damage on ourselves over the potential for suffering penalties if we break agreements we sign up to. The UK believes in the rule of law.

• TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

I'd advise any White South African to get out while that's possible.
    The poor children,murdering Bast*rds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCLJRVbaMyQ
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Those are his people.
    Just not the ones the Intelligence spooks in the Israeli Embassy like ....

Nope - we’ll cave.

As far as I can tell, apart from we oddballs on PB, most people don't give a stuff about Brexit any more. BINO would not cause a civil uprising. As SO says, we'll cave in in this point, no question.
    Not at all sure that pubic opinion will wear us paying 50 billion for BINO

Nope - we’ll cave.

Of course they will. We're not going to walk away.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Then the UK will fall off the cliff. But we are not going to inflict long-term economic damage on ourselves over the potential for suffering penalties if we break agreements we sign up to. The UK believes in the rule of law.

Law yes blackmail no
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited February 2018
    Headlines tonight that Tesco is facing a 4 billion pound claim on unequal pay.

That is going to tank their shares if true

EU in real trouble tonight over their threat to the punish UK during transition with condemnation from leavers but also remainers.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Nobody is going to wet their pants over a transition issue.

Transition means transition - it will soon be over - it’s not important.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

Where’s the blackmail? If you sign an agreement and then break its clauses there are penalties. It’s contracts 101. But as we believe in the rule of law we are going to rrspect everything we sign up to. That’s the British way, thankfully.

It’s ironic - but it’s actually JRM and his breed of Brexiteers who are to blame (at least in part) for this latest EU plan/punishment.

If he hadn’t been so keen on the UK ignoring its obligations to, for instance, wait until we leave before negotiating trade deals, then the EU wouldn’t have though it necessary to build in safeguards for the UK trying to screw them over.

I guess what goes around comes around.
    edited February 2018
    How 'Nick the fantasist' had the police, BBC and Labour's deputy leader lapping up his lies

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5359841/Fantasist-lies-police-BBC-Labour-lapped-up.html

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

Where’s the blackmail? If you sign an agreement and then break its clauses there are penalties. It’s contracts 101. But as we believe in the rule of law we are going to rrspect everything we sign up to. That’s the British way, thankfully.

So why stir the anger by indicating they do not trust us. It must be causing alarm as even remainers are condemning it tonight
    edited February 2018
    rkrkrk said:

It’s ironic - but it’s actually JRM and his breed of Brexiteers who are to blame (at least in part) for this latest EU plan/punishment.

If he hadn’t been so keen on the UK ignoring its obligations to, for instance, wait until we leave before negotiating trade deals, then the EU wouldn’t have though it necessary to build in safeguards for the UK trying to screw them over.

So we should have just agreed to the £100bn bill then?

rkrkrk said:

We should have never suggested that we would avoid paying our obligations.

Theresa Mays line on the bill was basically okay -
    the problem was certain Brexiteers like JRM saying we wouldn’t give them a penny without a trade deal.
  • rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

the problem was certain Brexiteers like JRM saying we wouldn’t give them a penny without a trade deal.
    I highly doubt many people in the ivory towers of the EU take any notice of what JRM says.

rkrkrk said:

The EU team is a flock of noisy turkeys - strutting around in December enjoying their last moments in the Uk media sun.

Thankfully we won’t be hearing from them for long.
  • rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

And I think you will find that is TM position without a trade deal agreed in principle
    rkrkrk said:

I was musing on the film "Darkest Hour" earlier, and the resemblance between JRM and Lord Halifax struck me. Both tall, thin, charming, Catholic aristocrats, Old Etonians, and hotly tipped to be next party leader. Curiously similar.
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

calum said:
    Jacob Cream-Crackers thinks it takes the biscuit.
    https://twitter.com/owenjbennett/status/960965013816201218
    The punishment plan is an obvious false demand that is put in to be dropped for a concession on the other side. A bit like the ECJ nonsense last time round.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

Presumably you support the UK to be able to reciprocally punish the EU by cutting off trade in emg. Agriculture if it determines the EU is breaching the agreements?
    TGOHF said:

Nope - we’ll cave.

Nobody is going to wet their pants over a transition issue.

Transition means transition - it will soon be over - it’s not important.
    Broadly, I agree with you. Jacob Cream-Crackers, however, seems somehwat incontinent over the issue.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

And I think you will find that is TM position without a trade deal agreed in principle
    Thank God there is only a year left , followed by a limitless transition period .
  • Elliot said:

calum said:
    Jacob Cream-Crackers thinks it takes the biscuit.
    https://twitter.com/owenjbennett/status/960965013816201218
    The punishment plan is an obvious false demand that is put in to be dropped for a concession on the other side. A bit like the ECJ nonsense last time round.
    And the irony of it is the EU are saying tonight it is a leaked document

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

I highly doubt many people in the ivory towers of the EU take any notice of what JRM says.
    But how else can we blame Brexiters for the EU acting up? The EU can do no wrong so it can't be their fault.
  • Yorkcity said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Thank God there is only a year left , followed by a limitless transition period .
    Indeed but I doubt it will be more than two years

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

So why stir the anger by indicating they do not trust us. It must be causing alarm as even remainers are condemning it tonight

They want penalty clauses that would only kick in if we breach the agreement we sign up to, which we are not going to do. Why would that make any rational person angry? I don’t lie awake seething over the terms of my mortgage relating to what happens if I don’t make my contracted payments.

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

I was musing on the film "Darkest Hour" earlier, and the resemblance between JRM and Lord Halifax struck me. Both tall, thin, charming, Catholic aristocrats, Old Etonians, and hotly tipped to be next party leader. Curiously similar.
    Good spot, Foxy. Halifax though at least had a plausible excuse for looking and acting like someone stuck in the 1930s.

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

TM to her credit has always said we would meet our obligations.
    We will pay whatever deal is agreed.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

They want penalty clauses that would only kick in if we breach the agreement we sign up to, which we are not going to do. Why would that make any rational person angry? I don’t lie awake seething over the terms of my mortgage relating to what happens if I don’t make my contracted payments.

It is the PR of this. We abide by the law and they are doubting our integity. And it has upset remainers who can see how this looks to the electorate
  • Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Next time I see a picture of JRM I'll count his hands.

Foxy said:

rkrkrk said:

Good spot, Foxy. Halifax though at least had a plausible excuse for looking and acting like someone stuck in the 1930s.
    PS - I loved the Darkest Hour. Oldman and KST both superb. I appreciate the Conservative party plotting depicted in the film may have uncomfortable echos for some Tory party members though. :wink:
  • rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes but the point is an agreed deal
  • Musk PR stunts make beardy Branson's look rather small fry....while beardy will have some good looking ladies draped over whatever his latest branding exercise is, Musk currently has a live stream of a spaceman in a Tesla orbiting the earth.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

But not the EU way.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

It is the PR of this. We abide by the law and they are doubting our integity. And it has upset remainers who can see how this looks to the electorate

The PR of this is that for whatever reason certain British newspapers have chosen to interpret a document in a certain way and some people who are already antagonistic towards the EU have chosen to fan the flames. The simple fact is this: all agreements have penalty claises in cases of non-compliance. If you break a contract, expect to face consequences. It’s hardly outrageous.

• Musk PR stunts make beardy Branson's look rather small fry....while beardy will have some good looking ladies draped over whatever his latest branding exercise is, Musk currently has a live stream of a spaceman in a Tesla orbiting the earth.

But Branson would have reached the stars now if it wasn't for Brexit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQZyP_Odio

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

The PR of this is that for whatever reason certain British newspapers have chosen to interpret a document in a certain way and some people who are already antagonistic towards the EU have chosen to fan the flames. The simple fact is this: all agreements have penalty claises in cases of non-compliance. If you break a contract, expect to face consequences. It’s hardly outrageous.

That is poor. It is being rsported as a leaked document and gives the impression the EU is questioning the integrity of the UK. Why are remainers attacking it
  • rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

The penalty clauses will only exist if there is an agreement.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

That is poor. It is being rsported as a leaked document and gives the impression the EU is questioning the integrity of the UK. Why are remainers attacking it

Yes, parts of the document are being reported - ie, spun - it is not being published in full.

• Quentin Tarantino has been criticised after a radio interview resurfaced in which he said Roman Polanski having sex with a 13-year-old girl wasn't rape.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42965100
    Cheddar Man looks an interesting fellow:

https://twitter.com/The_ChrisShaw/status/960997339111583744
    edited February 2018
    Foxy said:

twitter.com/The_ChrisShaw/status/960997339111583744

Justin Trudeau will be along in a mo to complain that it should be Cheddar manPerson....

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

Yes, parts of the document are being reported - ie, spun - it is not being published in full.

Yes by the pro remain BBC and Sky
  • Foxy said:

Where is Rochdale - is it far above Milton Keynes?

Just asking.

Take the Jubilee line to Stanmore, then get a cab. It can't be far.
    Top tip. Will check when im there tomorrow. Change out of £20 if i get DD to negotiate for me.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Foxy said:

Justin Trudeau will be along in a mo to complain that it should be Cheddar manPerson....
    I'll be glad to see the back of him. Canadians seem to have realised what a complete numpty he is, it's a shame it took them this long and that they got taken in by the charlatan.

Nope - we’ll cave.

Law yes blackmail no

The PR ofclaises in cases of non-compliance. If you break a contract, expect to face consequences. It’s hardly outrageous.

Yes by the pro remain BBC and Sky

Of course :-D

• Where is Rochdale - is it far above Milton Keynes?

Just asking.

Rochdale is in the wild North West.

Really hate Spurs and their diving trio, Dele Alli, Erik Lamela, and the Arsenal supporting Harry Kane.
    Is throttling acceptable? As for lamela, he got kicked so hard in the arse for that pen with his glutes and hips, hes probably out to 2019. Sicknote Dazza Anderton 2.
  • Good night one and all
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,773

SeanT said:

That was @rcs1000's prediction, wasn't it?
    Yes.

I forecast a 60% (real) fall in prime London property prices.

I became more positive in the middle of last year, but am beginning to get bearish again.
    Live video from the count at Alyn and Deeside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRDitNpsnEo

Aren't the terms symmetrical, in that we can break off the agreement too, if we feel that they have welched on the terms? (Which isn't a story, I realise.)
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

The penalty clauses will only exist if there is an agreement.

I thought the issue was we abide by all regulations, including any unknown new regulations even if they were detrimental to us.

They are asking us to agree to anything they propose.

If that is the case we shouldn't acquiesce.

AndyJS said:

I met Cyril Ramaphosa in my old job (we were the largest European shareholders of MTN for a time), and he came across as a very intelligent, extremely driven, and very un-ideological guy. Now, I realise he may have been putting on an act for Western finance people, but he was head and shoulders above any of the other South African CEOs (black or white) that I met at the time.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Foxy said:

Hardly surprising given that Man originated in Africa.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Turnout in Alyn and Deeside by election is 29.1%
    Labour HOLD Alyn and Deeside
    Swing of 5.3% to Labour in Alyn and Deeside.
    LAB: 60.7% (+14.9) CON: 25.4% (+4.4) LDEM: 6.3% (+1.8) PC: 5.7% (-3.3) GRN: 1.9% (-0.5) No UKIP (-17.4) as prev.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    marke09 said:

LAB: 60.7% (+14.9) CON: 25.4% (+4.4) LDEM: 6.3% (+1.8) PC: 5.7% (-3.3) GRN: 1.9% (-0.5) No UKIP (-17.4) as prev.

Kippers for Corbyn?
    marke09 said:

A very rare occasion where proportional swing worked: Lab, Con and LDem all increased their shares by 20-25%.

A poor PC result.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    edited February 2018
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

I'll be glad to see the back of him. Canadians seem to have realised what a complete numpty he is, it's a shame it took them this long and that they got taken in by the charlatan.
    They have? He leads every opinion poll other than Forum. By margins of 3 to 13% at mid-term. 20 months from an election that is pretty impressive. He is firmly on course for re-election.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Can an authentic airhead still be a charlatan?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

What did for IDS was third place in the Brent East by election in late 2003, much as the Tory loss in Eastbourne contributed to Thatcher's downfall in 1990.

At the moment with the Tory voteshare holding up, no alternative leader polling better than May and the local elections in May likely to be OK for the Tories nationally (helped by the collapse of UKIP) short of a by election disaster May will hold on until Brexit is done

Some high profile losses in the capital and the media narrative won't be so good...
    There are unlikely to be that many high profile losses despite Corbynista crowing, Labour need to win around 10 or more seats to gain any of their target London councils from the Tories and the swing since 2014 in the polls is nowhere near enough for that. They may even fail to take Barnet because of the Jewish vote
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    rcs1000 said:

marke09 said:

A very rare occasion where proportional swing worked: Lab, Con and LDem all increased their shares by 20-25%.

A poor PC result.
    Understandable under the circs.

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Can an authentic airhead still be a charlatan?
    Trudeau exists in a happy place where his opponents vastly under-estimate him. He is the leader of the natural Party of Government. He dragged them out of third place. Why he is so under-estimated remains a mystery.
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

That was @rcs1000's prediction, wasn't it?
    Yes.

I forecast a 60% (real) fall in prime London property prices.

I became more positive in the middle of last year, but am beginning to get bearish again.
    I'm sure the Brexit voters of Stoke and Mansfield think of little else.
This discussion has been closed.