Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa’s Tories take a 4 point lead with YouGov – their best

Comments

• Options

R4 leading on the anti-Semitic Soros story..

It’s a pretty big deal that the PM’s former adviser is citing far right Eastern European anti-Semites in his takedown of Soros. It’s all very Breitbart and adds a layer or two to that whole citizens of nowhere meme. She is well shot of him. But ...
    https://twitter.com/spajw/status/961468124968177664
    Young Mr Jones seems to have a very poor take on political theory if he thinks the Hungarian Government is anywhere near a dictatorship.
    I would call it a partial democracy, closer to the real thing than Russia or Venezuela but a long way from the completed product.
    The EIU lists it as a 'Flawed Democracy' at #56, ahead of Croatia, but behind the Dominican Republic.

Russia is 'Authoritarian' (#135) while Venezuela is #117. What surprised me was France in the list of 'Flawed Democracies' at #29 behind South Korea #20. The UK is #14, just behind Germany, with Spain (just) the only big European countries to make it into the 'Full Democracies' list.

http://pages.eiu.com/rs/753-RIQ-438/images/Democracy_Index_2017.pdf
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

felix said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

Dura_Ace said:

It could be caused by unrest from both remainers and leavers

Or they could actually be doing a shit job of it.

Given that 18 months in the government has yet to decide on what kind of Brexit it wants, the only surprise is that 22% of those polled think it’s doing a good negotiating job. They are certainly very well represented on PB!!

I think this is difficult. The government has divisions yes but also wants to play cards close to its chest. Result: media goes wild on a daily basis while the public goes meh ...
    This is absurd.
    Prevaricating is not the same thing as playing cards close to your chest. Those who have to make investment decisions based on what happens next year still have nothing to go on.
    The government's own assessments published this week show the possibility of massive hits to the UK's car industry (look at the forecasts for the North East and West Midlands under FTA or WTO conditions...)

Yes, it is possible that everything might just turn out OK, but it is at least equally possible that it could be dire. And up until now we have barely engaged in negotiations.
    Most arguments one doesn't like are 'absurd'. Then they can more easily be ignored. It was made clear from the start that there'd be no blow by blow account on a daily basis. But May has been very consistent and it annoys the 'remainers' who want ammunition to reverse a democratic vote. Like me you need to be patient and suck it up. Obviously you'll find poll frustrating. Rather like the referendum result and the postponed armageddon, it is what it is.
    You are quite right; May has been exceptionally consistent in putting off any important decision until the last possible minute.

Lol - clearly you're still hurting and the polling just twists the knife. My sympathies.
    And you are utterly clueless.
    Had you any real idea of what I think, you'd realise that I accept the Brexit vote; what I don't accept is the utterly incompetent manner in which the government is dealing with what happens next.
    If you don't belive that there is a huge threat to our manufacturing base - and that applies to our aerospace industry every bit as much as motor manufacturing - then you are both complacent and naive.
    Ah yes more insults with a lashing of project fear. That's the way to win. I too voted Remain btw. I lost 20 % of my pension after the sterling slide. Life goes on and new doors open. Half empty glasses aren't moving the polls .
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, doubt it. The Lib Dems, having championed PR and coalitions for so long, are not very keen on them nowadays.

Probably not and as has been said that is a majority of 2 x the DUP

It t is all speculative but many on here critise me for my support for TM during Brexit and even though 59% are unhappy she does seem to be receiving some respect from the public beyond the media bubble
  • Options

Why?

Corbyn is rubbish at day to day politics. This is completely to be expected.

A few more "there is no antisemitism in the Labour party" stories, more creepy left wing stuff like in HAringey and there's only one direction of travel.

Well, until they start up that bluddy chant again -_-
    The Westminster Village doesn't have a clue about their employers.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, I think May's seen as dutiful.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Electoral calculas on these figured gives - Con 326 Lab 247 Libs 16 SNP 39 others 22

New Con - Lib coalition maybe
    That's an outright Con majority. Doubtful there'd be a coalition in those circumstances.
    But they could still fling a few quid to the DUP, to keep them sweet with their voters in NI ("we continue to bring home the bacon from London!") ....and no need to worry about by-elections - or Anna Soubry going rogue.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

FF43 said:

Although this could be an outlier poll (probably is IMO), there does seem to be a slow drift away from Labour since after the election.

Brexit is the main thing and the key factor has nothing to do with Labour. Currently half the population think Brexit will have no economic consequences - maybe helpful. They are wrong and you could also call cognitive dissonance with other things they believe. Nevertheless, opinion polls and elections deal with belief, not reality. Because Brexit is going to be fine, Conservative Headbangers can say and do what they want and it won't make any difference to Brexit success. For the same reason, Labour can't capitalise on Brexit outcomes, although they could possibly shore up their support.

Total hubris to just say they are wrong. Why are they wrong?

Since the country is growing quite healthily at the moment with record low unemployment as opposed to the suggested immediate recession and skyrocketing unemployment I'd have thought those against Brexit might by now have a touch of humility and doubt about their own predictions.
    Why wrong that Brexit won't have economic consequences? Because almost all the known unknowns are downside risks. New duties are costs. Non-tariff barriers are costs. Uncertainty is cost. Deferred or lost investment possibilities will cost in jobs. There are many concrete and immediate reasons why Brexit will have negative economic conssequences. There are no reasons to believe it will be positive or neutral and there is actual evidence that it is negative.

Also cognitive dissonance because people think the negotiations are going badly but don't think that badness will have any real consequences. I wouldn't try to reconcile those positions. As I say, reality doesn't matter in opinion polling. You are asking people what they think because that drives election results.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

I assume this is noise, as people aren't really thinking about an election right now? Even in the case of a "snap" election, polls without an election looming in the public mind are more just feelings towards parties than VI.

I would like to suggest, though, that the Tories will likely underperform this at the upcoming local elections. I think LDs will make better gains in local Tory held seats than they have a chance at possibly doing nationally, and I don't know how much Corbyn becomes a weight on your local council candidate if he's knocked on your door a few times and done a middling to good campaign.

I'd expect the locals to be a better snapshot of where the public really stand, although I am not willing to really put figures on who does well where. Just a thought that LDs will make gains at expense of Tories in the south, Labour will make gains from Tories in the south and north, Tories won't do as well as people might think. (I know in my leafy 'burb, f'rinstance, that the biggest issue for voters on the door is NHS and doctors; something Tories do not win votes on)

Remember Ed Miliband won the 2014 Local Elections by 2% and UKIP got 17%. If this poll is anything like correct both the Tories and LDs could make gains and Labour could even lose seats
    I hope you are right, anything that focuses minds to hasten Corbyn's exit can't come too soon. Sadly that ship has probably sailed and we will be left with a bonkers hard left opposition for the remainder of my lifetime.

The prospect outlined wouldn't be so bad if the government, for the next twenty or so years was likely to be anything other than gravely inadequate at best. For all the talk of Tom Tugenhadt or Johnny Mercer, what we will get is one or more of Davis, Gove, Johnson or JRM .

Perhaps this demonstrates Nick Timothy's genius. Engineer a hung parliament opposed by a resurgent Jeremy Corbyn, allowing a takeover by Momentum to ensure Labour are hamstrung for a generation or two.
  • Options
    felix said:

Ah yes more insults with a lashing of project fear. That's the way to win. I too voted Remain btw. I lost 20 % of my pension after the sterling slide. Life goes on and new doors open. Half empty glasses aren't moving the polls .

Did you really though?

Sterling is now back to the same level as it was with the dollar pre referendum while the FTSE and.other stocks are higher aren't they?

So have you really lost?
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Rhubarb said:

It doesn't matter what the polls say - after last summer his core support base can (justifiably) claim he'll do it on the day.

Im afraid this is nonsense. A unique set of circumstances coincided in June 2017 to boost Corbyn's results - not least that many were protesting with little seeming fear that he would actually be elected.

The middle classes, the middle aged and the old will turn out next time, not for love of the tories but for fear of Corbyn's Labour. And they are right to be fearful....

When it comes to who runs the Labour party and sets their direction of travel it doesn't matter what the rest of the country thinks - all that matters is the people who would vote in any leadership contest. And, no matter what the polls say, 'look at last summer' will be a very persuasive argument to these people.
  • Options

Electoral calculas on these figured gives - Con 326 Lab 247 Libs 16 SNP 39 others 22

That's an outright Con majority. Doubtful there'd be a coalition in those circumstances.
    But they could still fling a few quid to the DUP, to keep them sweet with their voters in NI ("we continue to bring home the bacon from London!") ....and no need to worry about by-elections - or Anna Soubry going rogue.
    Indeed on a vote by vote basis most likely.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Mr. NorthWales, doubt it. The Lib Dems, having championed PR and coalitions for so long, are not very keen on them nowadays.

Probably not and as has been said that is a majority of 2 x the DUP

It t is all speculative but many on here critise me for my support for TM during Brexit and even though 59% are unhappy she does seem to be receiving some respect from the public beyond the media bubble
    The other parties haven't necessarily factored in the DUP in ongoing UK politics. If their arrangement can survive Brexit, there's no reason why future Conservative governments won't be happy to see an informal coaltion develop. It is going to make it so much harder for Labour to regain power.

Hard to see how Corbyn or McDonnell can successfully outbid. The trust just won't be there. Another reason why, in due course, reality is going to set in on the Labour side...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Morning all :)

It's a good poll for the Conservatives no question and perhaps speaks more to what voters really think than the daily round of Westminster gossip and the like.

I'm not convinced Labour's poll fall is down to its A50 policy - it is perhaps more a reflection of its failure to move from being a party of Opposition to a potential credible Party of Government. Opposing most of the things a Government proposes isn't difficult - you can find arguments for opposing most things.

The difficult bit is putting forward a credible alternative policy which isn't just "let's spend more money" which has only partial credibility at best.

The only time a Government gets into trouble is when it is politically or ideologically incapable of putting forward the credible alternative as its own policy and then the Opposition has a chance to steal a big advantage in a key area. I think the current Government is very weak on law and order and a strong Shadow Home Secretary could be making strong headway against Amber Rudd.

Let's not forget - Labour can be strong on law and order - I don't recall David Blunkett as being a shrinking violet on these issues. However, there seems little sign of that at this time.

Now, I will be told by one poster it's all down to Corbyn and if only "mainstream Labour" (and I don't know what that means) policies were followed the Party would be on its way to a landslide.

I'm not convinced - Corbyn is what he is and every Labour leader since and including Attlee has been personally vilified by the pro-Conservative press (as, in all fairness, have a few Conservative leaders as well). Whoever leads Labour will face a continuous attack on their character and every imperfection including how they eat a bacon sandwich is reflected and magnified to enhance their apparent unsuitability to be Prime Minister..

If I were advising Corbyn and the Shadow Cabinet, I'd start by telling them to imagine Britain in the 2020s after four years of Labour Government. What do they want to do ? What are the issues and problems preventing that happening and start backwards from the vision. For most voters, it isn't about Brexit but the day-to-day struggles of life. Corbyn needs to convince people it's not just about "the nasty Tories" but building something better for the future and making their own lives better. Offer a positive vision and you'd be surprised how popular it could be.

At the moment, few people are convinced their lives would be better and society and their communities would be better if Labour was in Government - that's the challenge.

Strangely enough, Labour won in 1997 by not offering a radical vision - they won simply by promising to manage the post-Thatcher order more fairly and efficiently than the Tories.

You don't have to be radical to win - you can and sometimes (1945 and 1979) it works but more often you win simply by showing you are less incompetent than the current Government.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I'm not convinced Labour's poll fall is down to its A50 policy - it is perhaps more a reflection of its failure to move from being a party of Opposition to a potential credible Party of Government. Opposing most of the things a Government proposes isn't difficult - you can find arguments for opposing most things.

The difficult bit is putting forward a credible alternative policy which isn't just "let's spend more money" which has only partial credibility at best.

The only time a Government gets into trouble is when it is politically or ideologically incapable of putting forward the credible alternative as its own policy and then the Opposition has a chance to steal a big advantage in a key area. I think the current Government is very weak on law and order and a strong Shadow Home Secretary could be making strong headway against Amber Rudd.

Let's not forget - Labour can be strong on law and order - I don't recall David Blunkett as being a shrinking violet on these issues. However, there seems little sign of that at this time.

Now, I will be told by one poster it's all down to Corbyn and if only "mainstream Labour" (and I don't know what that means) policies were followed the Party would be on its way to a landslide.

I'm not convinced - Corbyn is what he is and every Labour leader since and including Attlee has been personally vilified by the pro-Conservative press (as, in all fairness, have a few Conservative leaders as well). Whoever leads Labour will face a continuous attack on their character and every imperfection including how they eat a bacon sandwich is reflected and magnified to enhance their apparent unsuitability to be Prime Minister..

If I were advising Corbyn and the Shadow Cabinet, I'd start by telling them to imagine Britain in the 2020s after four years of Labour Government. What do they want to do ? What are the issues and problems preventing that happening and start backwards from the vision. For most voters, it isn't about Brexit but the day-to-day struggles of life. Corbyn needs to convince people it's not just about "the nasty Tories" but building something better for the future and making their own lives better. Offer a positive vision and you'd be surprised how popular it could be.

At the moment, few people are convinced their lives would be better and society and their communities would be better if Labour was in Government - that's the challenge.

Strangely enough, Labour won in 1997 by not offering a radical vision - they won simply by promising to manage the post-Thatcher order more fairly and efficiently than the Tories.

You don't have to be radical to win - you can and sometimes (1945 and 1979) it works but more often you win simply by showing you are less incompetent than the current Government.

Good post, stodge.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    stodge said:

It's a good poll for the Conservatives no question and perhaps speaks more to what voters really think than the daily round of Westminster gossip and the like.

I'm not convinced Labour's poll fall is down to its A50 policy - it is perhaps more a reflection of its failure to move from being a party of Opposition to a potential credible Party of Government. Opposing

Very sensible advice. I agree that a different type of Opposition would be hurting the government on law and order.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

I assume this is noise, as people aren't really thinking about an election right now? Even in the case of a "snap" election, polls without an election looming in the public mind are more just feelings towards parties than VI.

I would like to suggest, though, that the Tories will likely underperform this at the upcoming local elections. I think LDs will make better gains in local Tory held seats than they have a chance at possibly doing nationally, and I don't know how much Corbyn becomes a weight on your local council candidate if he's knocked on your door a few times and done a middling to good campaign.

I'd expect the locals to be a better snapshot of where the public really stand, although I am not willing to really put figures on who does well where. Just a thought that LDs will make gains at expense of Tories in the south, Labour will make gains from Tories in the south and north, Tories won't do as well as people might think. (I know in my leafy 'burb, f'rinstance, that the biggest issue for voters on the door is NHS and doctors; something Tories do not win votes on)

Remember Ed Miliband won the 2014 Local Elections by 2% and UKIP got 17%. If this poll is anything like correct both the Tories and LDs could make gains and Labour could even lose seats
    I hope you are right, anything that focuses minds to hasten Corbyn's exit can't come too soon. Sadly that ship has probably sailed and we will be left with a bonkers hard left opposition for the remainder of my lifetime.

The prospect outlined wouldn't be so bad if the government, for the next twenty or so years was likely to be anything other than gravely inadequate at best. For all the talk of Tom Tugenhadt or Johnny Mercer, what we will get is one or more of Davis, Gove, Johnson or JRM .

Perhaps this demonstrates Nick Timothy's genius. Engineer a hung parliament opposed by a resurgent Jeremy Corbyn, allowing a takeover by Momentum to ensure Labour are hamstrung for a generation or two.
    Whatever happens in the local elections, Corbyn will lead Labour at the next general election
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

Tory majority, just, on those figures. Plus no way the LDs go into coalition with the Tories again, especially post Brexit
  • Options

It’s a pretty big deal that the PM’s former adviser is citing far right Eastern European anti-Semites in his takedown of Soros. It’s all very Breitbart and adds a layer or two to that whole citizens of nowhere meme. She is well shot of him. But ...
    Young Mr Jones seems to have a very poor take on political theory if he thinks the Hungarian Government is anywhere near a dictatorship.
    I would call it a partial democracy, closer to the real thing than Russia or Venezuela but a long way from the completed product.
    The EIU lists it as a 'Flawed Democracy' at #56, ahead of Croatia, but behind the Dominican Republic.

Russia is 'Authoritarian' (#135) while Venezuela is #117. What surprised me was France in the list of 'Flawed Democracies' at #29 behind South Korea #20. The UK is #14, just behind Germany, with Spain (just) the only big European countries to make it into the 'Full Democracies' list.

Some of the ratings don't make sense. France was a flawed democracy in the Fifties and early Sixties, as was South Korea in the Eighties, but they're fully democratic now.
  • Options

Spain's direction of travel is out of the "full democracies" list:

"At 8.08, Spain’s score remains just above the threshold of 8 for full democracies,
    having fallen significantly as a result of the national government’s attempt to stop by force Catalonia’s illegal referendum on independence on October 1st."

(Very interesting report btw. Thanks for highlighting it.)
  • Options

felix said:

Did you really though?

Sterling is now back to the same level as it was with the dollar pre referendum while the FTSE and.other stocks are higher aren't they?

So have you really lost?
    I live in Spain and the drop against the Euro has persisted. I was able to offset the loss with a lucky investment in Banco Santander :)
  • Options

stodge said:

Good post, stodge.
    +1
    "Offer a positive vision and you'd be surprised how popular it could be."
    Who could learn from that then?
  • Options
    On other matters,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-42958465

Not actually about Northamptonshire in isolation but it's a complex and complicated issue and obviously much easier on here to banter about Brexit.

One in three Councils overspend and it's not a party political problem - South Hams, the worst offender, has a huge Conservative majority. It's a combination of increased demand, reductions in funding, poor internal financial management (in some cases) and the inability (via legislation) to apply the kind of Council Tax increases which would allow the funding gaps to be closed locally.

The main problem, I think, was the absurd decision in 2010 to ring-fence aspects of public expenditure from the austerity being applied elsewhere. Some parts of the public finances have carried a disproportionately heavy load for the reduction in the overall deficit and unfortunately where areas of growing demand (adult social care) are in those areas the demand to reduce the national deficit has coincided with a huge rise in demand for that service.

That was foreseeable - the demographic changes were well known long before 2010 - but the Coalition and now the Conservatives on their own have failed to recognise or properly address these concerns (I'd also add the growing demand for school places which might be argued as a direct impact from economic policy).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,660
    edited February 2018
    Sean_F said:

Some of the ratings don't make sense. France was a flawed democracy in the Fifties and early Sixties, as was South Korea in the Eighties, but they're fully democratic now.

France gets marked down for:

During the past year the trend towards the concentration of media ownership has continued apace in France, with the result that the links between journalists and political/economic interests have become closer. France provides a salutary reminder of how easily media independence can be compromised by such links, having experienced several con icts of interest in recent years. Media pluralism and reliability of the news have been put in doubt......

Decades of decline in the quality of democracy have swelled support for anti-establishment parties in western Europe, both on the left and on the right. In major elections in France, the Netherlands and Germany two-round or proportional voting systems helped to keep radical parties out of officein 2017. However, the underlying problem of mainstream parties’ failure to address the concerns and insecurities of younger and working-class voters remains unresolved. This will continue to sustain anti-establishment sentiment for the foreseeable future, tempting some mainstream parties to adopt illiberal stances to counter the rise of the populists...

..Finally, France became subject to greater social and political polarisation in 2017, despite the defeat of the far-right candidate, Marine Le Pen, by the centrist president, Emmanuel Macron, in May. Also the incorporation of state of emergency powers into the body of French law presents a potential threat to the rights and freedoms of many groups in France, and not only potential terrorist groups or individuals.

• Options
    stodge said:

On other matters,

Not actually about Northamptonshire in isolation but it's a complex and complicated issue and obviously much easier on here to banter about Brexit.

One in three Councils overspend and it's not a party political problem - South Hams, the worst offender, has a huge Conservative majority. It's a combination of increased demand, reductions in funding, poor internal financial management (in some cases) and the inability (via legislation) to apply the kind of Council Tax increases which would allow the funding gaps to be closed locally.

The main problem, I think, was the absurd decision in 2010 to ring-fence aspects of public expenditure from the austerity being applied elsewhere. Some parts of the public finances have carried a disproportionately heavy load for the reduction in the overall deficit and unfortunately where areas of growing demand (adult social care) are in those areas the demand to reduce the national deficit has coincided with a huge rise in demand for that service.

That was foreseeable - the demographic changes were well known long before 2010 - but the Coalition and now the Conservatives on their own have failed to recognise or properly address these concerns (I'd also add the growing demand for school places which might be argued as a direct impact from economic policy).

Given that the budget deficit will come in £10-12 bn lower than forecast, the government needs to start easing the purse-strings.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

France gets marked down for:

During the past year the trend towards the concentration of media ownership has continued apace in France, with the result that the links between journalists and political/economic interests have become closer. France provides a salutary reminder of how easily media independence can be compromised by such links, having experienced several con icts of interest in recent years. Media pluralism and reliability of the news have been put in doubt......

Decades of decline in the quality of democracy have swelled support for anti-establishment parties in western Europe, both on the left and on the right. In major elections in France, the Netherlands and Germany two-round or proportional voting systems helped to keep radical parties out of officein 2017. However, the underlying problem of mainstream parties’ failure to address the concerns and insecurities of younger and working-class voters remains unresolved. This will continue to sustain anti-establishment sentiment for the foreseeable future, tempting some mainstream parties to adopt illiberal stances to counter the rise of the populists...

..Finally, France became subject to greater social and political polarisation in 2017, despite the defeat of the far-right candidate, Marine Le Pen, by the centrist president, Emmanuel Macron, in May. Also the incorporation of state of emergency powers into the body of French law presents a potential threat to the rights and freedoms of many groups in France, and not only potential terrorist groups or individuals.

I take the view that the rise in populist parties shows that voters are keeping faith with democracy. In previous eras, they would have supporters coups and revolutions.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Is the penny dropping with Labour supporters that Corbyn supports Brexit ?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

Whatever happens in the local elections, Corbyn will lead Labour at the next general election
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/961510743064698880
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited February 2018

Ho ho, this is one of those tweets that both reports an anti-Corbyn line, and perpetuates one ;)
    Mind you alot of news does that these days...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I think the EU's "punishment" line has gone down very poorly with voters, remain or leave. That could be why the government saw a bit of a turnaround and the right to leave rating is a bit better.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Is the penny dropping with Labour supporters that Corbyn supports Brexit ?

It's my experience time and reality can often lead to subtle but important policy changes.

I was fascinated to hear VInce Cable on Marr last weekend moving away from the rather anti-democratic "we're going to stop Brexit" to a more nuanced line about ensuring it works for the country, adequate safeguards etc.

It is the uncertainty of not knowing what the outcome of the A50 negotiations will be that makes policy making in Opposition more difficult - it's not so much a question of overplaying your hand as not even knowing what cards you have.

Both Labour and the LDs (and indeed some Conservatives) will have to shape their future direction against what comes out of A50. That's why Labour is silent - it is waiting to see which direction May and Davis go.

Therein lies May and Davis's dilemma. Go too "soft" and face a barrage from your own side, go too "hard" and face a barrage from the Opposition AND some on your own side.

There is the potential for a future Government to re-negotiate the terms of the economic relationship with the EU. That would be a credible position (as distinct from "let's rejoin") and in essence what successive Governments have done since 1973.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Sean_F said:

stodge said:

On other matters,

Given that the budget deficit will come in £10-12 bn lower than forecast, the government needs to start easing the purse-strings.
    At this stage of the economic cycle, government debt-to-gdp should be coming down relatively quickly. (That doesn't mean we should necessarily be running a budget surplus, merely that nominal economic growth should be eating away at the size of the debt more quickly than we are adding to it through the deficit.)

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    TGOHF said:
    Not sure how far it has percolated outside the Twitterati, but I wonder if the uproar over transwomen self-iding has had an affect.
  • Options
    Scottish sub sample Klaxon.

SNP 30
    Con 29
    Lab 26
    LD 8
    Greens 4
    UKIP 2
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think the EU's "punishment" line has gone down very poorly with voters, remain or leave. That could be why the government saw a bit of a turnaround and the right to leave rating is a bit better.

The fieldwork was completed before then.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

So next months swing may well be more pronounced ?

When is project fear 3.0 being rolled out ?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    edited February 2018
    But also conflating not being antisemitic with just being pro-Israel?

Whether or not Nick T's specific article was antisemitic does not stop the general right wing distaste for George Soros having problematic antisemitic undertones (which it does).
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    I dont think it has anything to do with Brexit. Remainers are hardly going to support the Tories because Corbyn isnt against Brexit.

The really extraordinary thing against this poll, which is part of a pattern, is that this is a terrible time for the Tories. They are squabbling in public, some of them are threatening coups, Theresa May isnt very popular, the NHS is in crisis, its the most depressing part of Winter. Labour should have a double digit lead. Yet it is three points behind.

Set it into context. Ed Miliband was 12 points ahead. Neil Kinnock at one point was 20 points ahead.

Remainers are not going to go to the Tories, the most pro Brexit party because Corbyn is ambivalent. People are going to the Tories because Jeremy Corbyn is a hard left extremist, unfit to be prime minister, and they are beginning to realise that after June 2017 he stands a chance of winning.

There will be other polls, putting Labour ahead, butLabour is heading for a famous defeat in 2022.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

So next months swing may well be more pronounced ?

When is project fear 3.0 being rolled out ?
    YouGov poll weekly.

If such a swing exists then we should see it next week, all things being equal.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    In the same way that there was clear evidence of Saddam having WMD?
  • Options
    Can anyone point me to the part of the article that is anti-Semitic ?

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    On Topic

Yesterdays YG JWNBPM
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995
    tlg86 said:

In the same way that there was clear evidence of Saddam having WMD?
    There is no doubt that Saddam had had WMD, and had used them against his own people. The question was one of: had he got rid of his WMD and the relevant programs?

So the implication of your question is that Russia has interfered in US elections before, and the question is whether they had stopped for that election. ;)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    stodge said:

It's not "All about Brexit" but the difference between Labour being all square and them being down by 5 points IS all about Brexit. They punched above their potential while they were still the party of Remain. If they've lost that USP what are we left with?
  • Options
    Roger said:

stodge said:

If they've lost that USP what are we left with?
    All trans short lists ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

On other matters,

At this stage of the economic cycle, government debt-to-gdp should be coming down relatively quickly. (That doesn't mean we should necessarily be running a budget surplus, merely that nominal economic growth should be eating away at the size of the debt more quickly than we are adding to it through the deficit.)

It is starting to go down, but officially the stats include BoE debt (which is completely pointless). By the end of 2018 it will be down quite a lot.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Both parties within the margin of error of the last GE?
    I suspect following Labours unexpected good showing they gained a bit of a boost - which was temporary. Much like Brexit, I suspect the voters have not changed their minds.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited February 2018
    148grss said:

Whether or not Nick T's specific article was antisemitic does not stop the general right wing distaste for George Soros having problematic antisemitic undertones (which it does).
    I posted this on Twitter, but perhaps younger folk have forgotten.

Mr Soros is certainly not to blame for the UK entering the ERM with an overvalued sterling, but Major's defence of the pound resulted in the base rate briefly hitting 15%. Given that mortgage deals were typically base rate + n%, this caused a certain amount of huffing into a paper bag hereabouts.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    TonyE said:

daodao said:

It is entirely in line with use of the phrase "citizens of nowhere", alias "rootless cosmopolitan". The xenophobic British press and Tory party clearly see George Soros as a major public enemy in the same way as Victor Orban et al. They have probably never forgiven him for Black Wednesday.

Oddly, Fidesz is a member of the EPP rather than the European Conservatives and Reformists group (which is led by the Tories and the equally xenophobic Polish Law and Justice party) in the EU parliament.
    https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/961386131718852608

Interesting exchange under Portes tweet. If that's the level of his argument it's not a good advert for his book.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    I feel like I have gone back in time....

Labour aren't going to get rid of Corbyn because he is a few points behind the Conservatives in the polls.

I would also point out that Corbyn's EU stance has been complained about ever since the chicken coup, the idea it has suddenly gained traction seems unlikely.

Also I would suggest, going by past experience, Dan Hodges, Conservative voter, is not the best judge of Labour leaders.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ho ho, this is one of those tweets that both reports an anti-Corbyn line, and perpetuates one ;)

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
  • Options
    Roger said:

It's not "All about Brexit" but the difference between Labour being all square and them being down by 5 points IS all about Brexit. They punched above their potential while they were still the party of Remain. If they've lost that USP what are we left with?

The problem is neither main party is homogenous. Around a quarter or a third of Conservative supporters backed REMAIN though they may now have seen the error of their ways and a quarter to a third of Labour supporters backed LEAVE.

Both parties have substantial minorities to consider - the Conservatives will rely on innate loyalty and a fear of Corbyn to keep their REMAIN supporters on side.

The other problem is when we leave the EU formally the REMAIN position becomes redundant unless it morphs into "in Government we will seek to re-negotiate a better deal for the UK than May and her group of blundering halfwits has accomplished".

• Options
    Sean_F said:

I'm also wondering if the recent Catalonia doings occurred after Spain's elevation to 'Full Democracy'.
  • Options
    Why is there a poll in December with a Con score but no Labour score?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "What goes on in the home is the business of the state. Here’s why
    Sonia Sodha"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/08/home-state-economy-austerity-family-life-social-care
  • Options
    One more thing the line about not being anti semitic because he supports Israel says it all really.

You will be considered anti semitic if you stick up for Palestinians.

The problem is if you start labelling people like Corbyn anti semites then people will struggle to believe you when you point to real anti semites.

Although I guess that is only actually a problem if the people repeating the smears actually cared about anti semitism more than smearing Corbyn, shameful.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    MaxPB said:

I've long suspected this.

One of the rules of British politics in the last two decades has been UK governments get a bump in the polls when standing up to bureaucrats in Brussels.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
    I genuinely didn't realise 'alot' wasn't a word, you have my apologies.
  • Options

One more thing the line about not being anti semitic because he supports Israel says it all really.

The problem is if you start labelling people like Corbyn anti semites then people will struggle to believe you when you point to real anti semites.

Although I guess that is only actually a problem if the people repeating the smears actually cared about anti semitism more than smearing Corbyn, shameful.

The real anti semites? Like holocaust deniers you mean? Good job there are none of them in Labour. Or you would start too look rather foolish.

Oh.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Interesting to note the number of Labour supporters on Twitter who are reacting to the recent polls by saying "We were 25% behind last time and nearly won, so we can do it again next time".
  • Options
    Best PM:

Men:
    May: 38 (0)
    Corbyn: 31 (+5)

Women:
    May: 36 (+6)
    Corbyn: 28 (-3)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

One of the rules of British politics in the last two decades has been UK governments get a bump in the polls when standing up to bureaucrats in Brussels.
    Usually it’s cost free. Standing up for the British sausage when there’s a ticking clock isn’t quite the same thing.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    AndyJS said:

Interesting to note the number of Labour supporters on Twitter who are reacting to the recent polls by saying "We were 25% behind last time and nearly won, so we can do it again next time".

Aw, bless.....

EDIT: Do we think Momentum does "gnawing doubt"?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The surge should be baked in to the polls ?

Mind you I doubt the long run Tory score looks to be about 41 to me with Labour on 42.
    More evidence needed to see if this is a trend or the polls will revert to the last 6 month norm.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes - I don’t think poor polling is going to help those who want Corbyn gone.
    It’s obviously silly to expect another 25 point swing - but I think the arguments that he is electoral poison/disaster/suicide have been disproven.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I'm also wondering if the recent Catalonia doings occurred after Spain's elevation to 'Full Democracy'.
    No, they dragged it down to being on the borderline with 'Flawed Democracy'
  • Options
    stodge said:

Roger said:

The problem is neither main party is homogenous. Around a quarter or a third of Conservative supporters backed REMAIN though they may now have seen the error of their ways and a quarter to a third of Labour supporters backed LEAVE.

Both parties have substantial minorities to consider - the Conservatives will rely on innate loyalty and a fear of Corbyn to keep their REMAIN supporters on side.

The other problem is when we leave the EU formally the REMAIN position becomes redundant unless it morphs into "in Government we will seek to re-negotiate a better deal for the UK than May and her group of blundering halfwits has accomplished".

As 'Remain' is laid to rest, so 'Rejoin' will be born.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Usually it’s cost free. Standing up for the British sausage when there’s a ticking clock isn’t quite the same thing.
    The only party willing to swallow the sausage is the LDs and they don't seem to be polling that well.

Evidence that a pro-Eu stance means an uptick in polling is thin on the ground.

• Options
    I'm not sure this polling will be very helpful to Theresa. The plotters won't believe that it's due to anything she's done, rather it's all a function of Jezza's hopelessness. The thought will be that if Theresa's can do this well against Jezza imagine what the Dream Team might achieve.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2018
    rkrkrk said:

AndyJS said:

It’s obviously silly to expect another 25 point swing - but I think the arguments that he is electoral poison/disaster/suicide have been disproven.
    The Tories need to seriously role play and game defeating Corbyn in debates. The next leader they select needs to be confident in that arena.

Also authentic and natural on TV.

Someone like Dave?
  • Options
    stodge said:

I just cannot see any mileage in any political party trying to re-open the Brexit settlement. There will just be no appetite to re-open a stall selling shit sandwiches.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

The only party willing to swallow the sausage is the LDs and they don't seem to be polling that well.

Maybe they'd do better with Jo Swinson as leader.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

stodge said:

Roger said:

Rejoinders and Rebuttals in the new era.
  • Options

stodge said:

Roger said:

Rejoin will be up there with "flat earth" .
  • Options
    John_M said:

148grss said:

I posted this on Twitter, but perhaps younger folk have forgotten.

Mr Soros is certainly not to blame for the UK entering the ERM with an overvalued sterling, but Major's defence of the pound resulted in the base rate briefly hitting 15%. Given that mortgage deals were typically base rate + n%, this caused a certain amount of huffing into a paper bag hereabouts.
    Here’s a nice little behind the scenes story...
    https://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/sterling-my-part-its-downfall
  • Options
    philiph said:

rkrkrk said:

AndyJS said:

The Tories need to seriously role play and game defeating Corbyn in debates. The next leader they select needs to be confident in that arena.
    A good start would be to find a way to articulate why capitalism is a better option than the marxism that the current labour leadership are so keen on.

Osborne was very focused on discrediting Ed milibands slightly more left wing world view than his own and won that battle of ideas come 2015. At the moment the Tories are allowing the mad maomentum world view to gain credence despite the evidence of history showing us it doesn't work.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not convinced she's a leader.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

How about Gina Miller - and rebrand as the "Rejoin" party ?

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2018
    rkrkrk said:

AndyJS said:

Given the swing is entirely among women, is it possible May's tough line on the sexual assault stuff has cut through?

It's not an explanation which will appeal to the (mostly male) conservative commentariat - and those on the left would find the idea uncomfortable, but it could be what explains the poll shift.
  • Options

The real anti semites? Like holocaust deniers you mean? Good job there are none of them in Labour. Or you would start too look rather foolish.

Oh.
    Ask yourself why the papers didn't have a problem with Labour's anti semitism problem before.

It's a good stick to beat Jezza with because he doesn't support the mistreatment of the Palestinians.

But can you see the risks of labeling people racist out of political convenience?

Think immigration concerns and people getting labelled racist.

Now if anti semitism isn't actually the concern but smears are then the position makes sense.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

stodge said:

Roger said:

Rejoin will be up there with "flat earth" .
    But with less science and more faith behind it.....
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rcs1000 said:

At this stage of the economic cycle, government debt-to-gdp should be coming down relatively quickly.

Not so easy when you're shelling out 50bn in interest payments each year :-(

• Options
    Also, Soros is a cancer to western society. His attempts to undermine democracy all over the west should be called out and those wishing to silence his critics by accusing them of anti-Semitism are just as bad as he is. I don't dislike him because he's Jewish, I dislike him because of his support of open borders and ultra-leftist politics and his funding of disingenuous ultra-leftist groups.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Pong said:

rkrkrk said:

AndyJS said:

Given the swing is entirely among women, is it possible May's tough line on the sexual assault stuff has cut through?
    Could be.
    Normal caveats about sub samples - but I guess men and women are quite-large sub samples(!?)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

As was suggested on here the other day, they’re welcome to Anna Soubry!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Go Tessa!!!!!!!!!

General election in the Spring?

#letsnotgothere ;)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Also, Soros is a cancer to western society. His attempts to undermine democracy all over the west should be called out and those wishing to silence his critics by accusing them of anti-Semitism are just as bad as he is. I don't dislike him because he's Jewish, I dislike him because of his support of open borders and ultra-leftist politics and his funding of disingenuous ultra-leftist groups.

Max not accusing you of anything but do you take the same attitude towards those who constantly get accused of anti semitism for sticking up for the rights of Palestinians?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited February 2018
    Hey, Nigel 'Puppet master Soros, Jews have too much influence' Farage has joined the party.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/961512562159439873
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

MaxPB said:

Max not accusing you of anything but do you take the same attitude towards those who constantly get accused of anti semitism for sticking up for the rights of Palestinians?
    Can you provide any specific examples (I don't doubt there are, it'd just be nice to see some).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

As was suggested on here the other day, they’re welcome to Anna Soubry!
    If you actually look at how Soubry has voted whilst an MP (and not just her toys-out-the-pram -since-losing-her-job phase), then that voting record would make their little LibDemmy heads explode......
  • Options

Hey, Nigel 'Puppet master Soros, Jews have too much influence' Farage has joined the party.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/961512562159439873

This is the exact same argument that has been used for months in Hungary about Soros and his donations to a university.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

MaxPB said:

depends a bit how much airtime they give the Palestinians relative to the rohingya, Syrians, Pakhtuns, etc etc etc.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

You are ken Livingstone and I claim my £5.....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I'm not really bothered either way tbh, I think Israel has the right to exist as a nation, but I also think Palestine does. Undermining the argument for the latter by accusing people who support it as anti-Semitic is definitely wrong, but unfortunately a lot of the time the people who support the latter also don't support Israel's right to exist as a nation which is anti-Semitic. It's not easy to filter between one group orthe other.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Freud would have a field day with the Brexiteers. Not content with seeking out a futile last stand against Brussels, they've now decided to give the bête noire of Black Wednesday a starring role in their psychodrama.
This discussion has been closed.