Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Those from elite schools continue to dominate the betting to s

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Mr. kle4, also, could be indicative of Turkey spending cash on propaganda ahead of further military action/seizing territory. Be interesting to see if that's the case.

Who would mourn if they took all of Syria? Putin?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

As I said on the last thread, Soros is an arsehole, his Jewish heritage has nothing to do with it.
    Apart from his sterling bet I don't really know all that much about him.

Why is he an arsehole?
    His funding of anti-democratic organisations and his continual support for open borders in countries where he doesn't live or have tax residency.
    Says the Swiss resident who describes anyone opposed to Brexit as traitors.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, the Kurds.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

As I said on the last thread, Soros is an arsehole, his Jewish heritage has nothing to do with it.

Why is he an arsehole?
    His funding of anti-democratic organisations and his continual support for open borders in countries where he doesn't live or have tax residency.
    I'm actually still resident in the UK for tax. But sure, play the man rather than the ball.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

kle4 said:

I think I've just had the weirdest ad I've ever had before a youtube video (on a comedic review of a video game) - it was a 2 minute video narrated by someone with a child's voice explaining how the Turks are being betrayed by the USA by their support for the Kurds, and thus why they are right to be taking action right now.

Why produce such a video and who is it for?! Apparently the algorithms think it is for me, obviously, but it felt so strange that anyone would try such a method like youtube pre roll ads to sway opinion.

I remember when I bought my parents an iPad, they were using my login, so I kept on seeing some strange ads/suggested videos.
    Not as strange as the ads they were seeing!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    GMS:

CDU/CSU 32%
    SPD 18%
    AfD 14%
    Greens 13%
    FDP 9%
    Linke 9%
    Others 5%

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

kle4 said:

I think I've just had the weirdest ad I've ever had before a youtube video (on a comedic review of a video game) - it was a 2 minute video narrated by someone with a child's voice explaining how the Turks are being betrayed by the USA by their support for the Kurds, and thus why they are right to be taking action right now.

Why produce such a video and who is it for?! Apparently the algorithms think it is for me, obviously, but it felt so strange that anyone would try such a method like youtube pre roll ads to sway opinion.

Quite worrying developments are happening:
    https://twitter.com/abdbozkurt/status/961539922132963328
    Will they reach Vienna this time?
    Not if the rest of the world wants to keep any semblance of nuclear non-proliferation.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Why is he an arsehole?
    I'm actually still resident in the UK for tax. But sure, play the man rather than the ball.
    You don't get to play that card after you conduct a character assassination.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Why is he an arsehole?
    On a cursory look they don't seem particularly virulently anti-democratic.

discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCategory.asp?id=1237
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Why is he an arsehole?
    He has clearly funded many political organisations, but which of them are 'anti-democratic' ?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    kle4 said:

This may have come up, but it is true there is nothing more elite than going to Eton? It is definitely up there, but there has to be something so entitled and decadent that it eclipses even attending Eton College.

Haberdashers' Adams Grammar School, Newport, Salop?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

JRM re Brexit is a fantastic opportunity for Japanese car manufacturers and suggested why would you buy a Peugeot that probably wouldn't work.

He is box office

Bar a brief fling with an Italian, for the last 18 years all my cars have been German cars.

I want my German cars post Brexit.
    When cars go autonomous why bother owning or being fussy about the make/model ?

Car ownership will be very niche.
    I think it was the head of Mercedes who was expecting that within maybe 10-12 years, nobody much will own their own car.

Try selling that in rural - well rural almost anywhere actually. When your nearest town is thirty plus minutes away, how will that work?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited February 2018

kle4 said:

I remember when I bought my parents an iPad, they were using my login, so I kept on seeing some strange ads/suggested videos.
    I only use YouTube to watch trailers and the occasional music video.

Oh and watch the reruns of the 2015 general election.
  • Options

Mr. Mark, the Kurds.

Because the world leaps to the Kurds' defence every time.....
  • Options

kle4 said:

Quite worrying developments are happening:
    https://twitter.com/abdbozkurt/status/961539922132963328
    Will they reach Vienna this time?
    We'll always have the croissant.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,642

kle4 said:

It's like will not come again for some time, so enjoy it while you can.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

This may have come up, but it is true there is nothing more elite than going to Eton? It is definitely up there, but there has to be something so entitled and decadent that it eclipses even attending Eton College.

Attending Eton is neither entitled or decadent

The School is the focal point of the OE community - it's only natural that fathers will want to send their sons there to maintain continuity*. It's not that different from someone wanting to buy a house in the village that they grew up in.

* For the record, I was 8th generation on my father's side and 6th on my mother's.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

The School is the focal point of the OE community - it's only natural that fathers will want to send their sons there to maintain continuity*. It's not that different from someone wanting to buy a house in the village that they grew up in.

* For the record, I was 8th generation on my father's side and 6th on my mother's.
    I was only teasing, but that's why I did ask if there was something more elite than going to Eton. Although to be frank, speaking as someone in a county stuffed full of villages and only small towns, it is very often only elite people who can afford to buy a house in the village they grew up in.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

JRM re Brexit is a fantastic opportunity for Japanese car manufacturers and suggested why would you buy a Peugeot that probably wouldn't work.

He is box office

Bar a brief fling with an Italian, for the last 18 years all my cars have been German cars.

Same reason that people "bother owning or being fussy about the make/model" now? A car, for many, is more than just a means of transport; it is an expression of the personality they like to project (which may be distinct from the personality others perceive).
    Do people insist on a German taxi/uber ? No.
    That's still assuming that an 'autonomous car' equals 'a hired car'. I don't see the logic there. most people don't own a car so that they can drive; they own a car so that they have control over their travel space as well as where they're going.
    In heavily populated areas no point in a car sitting on your drive or place of work if you can rustle one up with an app.

Worst thing about taxis and Ubers are the drivers - once they have gone, use will rocket.

Kids wont bother learning to drive either.
    Quite a few already aren't.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

TGOHF said:

He is box office

I think it was the head of Mercedes who was expecting that within maybe 10-12 years, nobody much will own their own car.

Try selling that in rural - well rural almost anywhere actually. When your nearest town is thirty plus minutes away, how will that work?
    He might be right for city folk though. In places like much of NYC car ownership has long been impractical and uneconomic for many.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

I was only teasing, but that's why I did ask if there was something more elite than going to Eton. Although to be frank, speaking as someone in a county stuffed full of villages and only small towns, it is very often only elite people who can afford to buy a house in the village they grew up in.
    The Grenadiers think they are...
  • Options

TGOHF said:

He is box office

Your nearest car will be a lot closer, presumably.

Obviously autonomous vehicles will be adopted most rapidly in urban areas - somewhere like Singapore will probably beat everyone else - but as numbers rise, they ought to become more or less ubiquitous.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

He is box office

Same reason that people "bother owning or being fussy about the make/model" now? A car, for many, is more than just a means of transport; it is an expression of the personality they like to project (which may be distinct from the personality others perceive).
    That's still assuming that an 'autonomous car' equals 'a hired car'. I don't see the logic there. most people don't own a car so that they can drive; they own a car so that they have control over their travel space as well as where they're going.
    In heavily populated areas no point in a car sitting on your drive or place of work if you can rustle one up with an app.

Worst thing about taxis and Ubers are the drivers - once they have gone, use will rocket.

I didn't learn to drive until I was 26. (Made up for it thereafter - and how!) Generally, I would say that not being able to drive is seen as a significant negative by employers.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, like a badger, you just moved the goal posts :p
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

At £32k per child pa, that sounds like a fairly exclusive gated community.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Why is he an arsehole?
    On a cursory look they don't seem particularly virulently anti-democratic.

discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCategory.asp?id=1237
    I think it's a meme rather than an actual thing.

(If you except the general principle that billionaires using their money for political causes is inherently problematic in democracy.)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

He is box office

I didn't learn to drive until I was 26. (Made up for it thereafter - and how!) Generally, I would say that not being able to drive is seen as a significant negative by employers.
    True, but less so than it was.
    And for those that haven't and don't wan't to learn to drive, the autonomous vehicle will be enthusiastically welcomed. Along with those of us who like country pubs.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Elliot said:

I strongly agree with what someone said downthread about Dominic Raab. He combines the sense of being both professional and down to Earth. Like Blair.

I agree , he seems very capable .
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    Ah, a Next Tory Leader Market thread.

Lay the favourite...
    Lay the second favourite...
    Lay the third favourite...
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

And who's to say they're not?

:wink:
  • Options
    Just because the betting is dominated by these does not mean the eventual winner will be one of these.

When was the last time a Tory betting favourite pre-campaign actually won?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I know and I do.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    This will come as a big surprise to the International Division at HMRC who have been challenging “loss” making UK subsidiaries of Japanese companies for decades...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I know and I do.
    Halycon days.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

No gates. Anyone can come to Eton.

As for the school... 1/3 of the kids are on either full or 2/3 fees paid)
  • Options
    I’ve been making this point for years.

A lot of them invested in the UK because Mrs T told them the UK was the gateway to the single market.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/961630008090521600
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Why is he an arsehole?
    Still awaiting the justification for your ad hominem on Soros...
    (Other than that you disagree with his politics.)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ask the Coldstream...
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Recent newcomers to the Cabinet have got momentum and look at their best odds:Williamson 25 ,Hinds 66,Mcvey66,Hancock 100 Mordaunt 100.
    In terms of attracting new people to join the Tories Estey Mcvey probably has the most scope.There are lots of right wing people who currently feel homeless.The combination of her and Phillip Davies together at the top would appeal.
  • Options

A lot of them invested in the UK because Mrs T told them the UK was the gateway to the single market.

What seems to be suggested by recent reporting is that the assurances given by May to (for example) Nissan didn't involve anything at all like indemnities, as opposed to general assurances.
    If they are faced with trade "friction" post Brexit, they could about turn on their investment plans very quickly.

There is a reason for those sharply different regional forecasts for the NE and W Midlands economies under FTA and WTO assumptions which hit the press this week.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

I always find when I'm in a bad mood watching the 1997 GE coverage cheers me up no end !!

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    RobD said:
    Wait - so the revelation is a car manufacturer wants to make money ?

This is sensational news - Brexit must be halted until we discover how on earth any business enterprise outside of the EU operates.

Also nevermind Brexit - Jezza will want to nationalise the factory.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TGOHF said:

He is box office

Obviously autonomous vehicles will be adopted most rapidly in urban areas - somewhere like Singapore will probably beat everyone else - but as numbers rise, they ought to become more or less ubiquitous.
    I'm looking forward to my nearest car being in some nearby field... The forty minute walk to it through mud will be great exercise. And wherever you are, trying to book a car one hour either side of the school run, both at the start and end of the day. That will be a doozy.

The one boon I see in autonomous cars is that at least they will know how to bloody reverse! Unlike three quarters of the drivers who use Devon lanes....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

He is box office

True, but less so than it was.
    And for those that haven't and don't wan't to learn to drive, the autonomous vehicle will be enthusiastically welcomed. Along with those of us who like country pubs.
    Autonomous cars will be a massive boost for the country pub trade. Although possibly also for the angry wife trade too.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

So, around 60 odd pupils per year... not exactly 'anyone'.
    I think 'fairly exclusive' is accurate.
  • Options
    One of the great problems with the English public school system is that it teaches immensely privileged young men with mediocre minds that they are the elite. The country pays the price.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ask the Coldstream...
    Second Regiment of Foot Guards
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited February 2018
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I know and I do.
    Halycon days.
    My Hubris was followed by something.

In September 2015 we had an (outlier) poll showing Remain on 70 odd %* and Labour had just elected Corbyn.

I was fully expecting Remain to win, George or another Cameroon to win the leadership, and Labour to tear themselves apart.

I thought Dave's legacy was written, he revitalised the Tories, finally sorted out the EU question, saved the Union, destroyed the Lib Dems, and driven Labour mad.

*I wasn't expecting Remain to get 70% but a decent win.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

This is sensational news - Brexit must be halted until we discover how on earth any business enterprise outside of the EU operates.

Sarcasm aside, it is one of the risks. For example, JLR are building a new facility in Slovakia. In future, where will they invest to increase production or introduce new models? Castle Bromwich or Nitra?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    kle4 said:

I came across something similar, complete with graphic suggesting "Greater Kurdistan" was a secret US plot. Quick google showed it was a copypasta from Sputnik.

Driving Turkey away from the US and NATO is almost an inevitable Russian aim, with a thuggish leader so similar to Putin.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

There's no revelation - what is of note is that Japanese manufacturers are starting publicly to express concern about what happens in 2019. The assurances that everything will be OK are wearing a bit thin.

Along with other industrial sectors, they need answers now rather than 18 months' time.
  • Options

Project Fear, or something.

• Options
    Metatron said:

Recent newcomers to the Cabinet have got momentum and look at their best odds:Williamson 25 ,Hinds 66,Mcvey66,Hancock 100 Mordaunt 100.
    In terms of attracting new people to join the Tories Estey Mcvey probably has the most scope.There are lots of right wing people who currently feel homeless.The combination of her and Phillip Davies together at the top would appeal.

That applies to Penny Mordaunt in spades. Her back story is exceptional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Mordaunt

"She is a descendant of Philip Snowden, the first Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer. Angela Lansbury is her grandmother's cousin.

....To pay her way through sixth-form college, Mordaunt became a magician's assistant to Portsmouth magician Will Ayling, once president of The Magic Circle.

She has attributed her interest in politics to her experiences working in hospitals and orphanages of post-revolutionary Romania in her gap year, after the 1989 revolution. She graduated from the University of Reading with a BA in philosophy in 1995, becoming the first member of her family to attend university."

Plus - a great advance over the May-bot - she has a sense of humour.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Nemesis (retribution, a daughter of Nyx).

I also thought Remain would win handily (my prediction was 60/40 for a long time) but Cameron and others were complacent. There were several unforced errors.

However, it's also interesting to consider the alternative. Suppose 52% had voted Remain. We would have the same divisions as now, except that most of the political and media class would be happy, and instead of fighting a rearguard action they'd be attempting to foster unity (whether that would be through taking account of the many who dislike the EU or the "We have won, it is settled" approach).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2018
    A thought about those regional economic impact assessments. For the north east to be 16% adrift on a no deal basis, would that implicitly assume that Nissan close their factory in Sunderland?
  • Options

Metatron said:

"She is a descendant of Philip Snowden, the first Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer. Angela Lansbury is her grandmother's cousin.

....To pay her way through sixth-form college, Mordaunt became a magician's assistant to Portsmouth magician Will Ayling, once president of The Magic Circle.

She has attributed her interest in politics to her experiences working in hospitals and orphanages of post-revolutionary Romania in her gap year, after the 1989 revolution. She graduated from the University of Reading with a BA in philosophy in 1995, becoming the first member of her family to attend university."

And she likes cock

;)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hvLcYUXBBuc
  • Options

Metatron said:

That Will Ayling anecdote is apt as one description of Penny involves the phrase Wizard's Sleeve.
  • Options
    Popbitch has a great Moggster story. File under "tenuous, but unhelpful...."
  • Options

Metatron said:

Shame she is an unblushing but obvious liar.
  • Options

A thought about those regional economic impact assessments. For the north east to be 16% adrift on a no deal basis, would that implicitly assume that Nissan close their factory in Sunderland?

Pretty much what I read, which knocks into the supply chain and resultant business in the region.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    stodge said:

I always find when I'm in a bad mood watching the 1997 GE coverage cheers me up no end !!

" A new dawn has broken has it not ? "
  • Options
    I'm surprised no one has FOI'd what Theresa May promised Nissan.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

TGOHF said:

He is box office

I'm looking forward to my nearest car being in some nearby field... The forty minute walk to it through mud will be great exercise. And wherever you are, trying to book a car one hour either side of the school run, both at the start and end of the day. That will be a doozy....
    Done properly, it could greatly reduce the total number of vehicles on such runs.
  • Options

I'm surprised no one has FOI'd what Theresa May promised Nissan.

"commercial confidentiality" - the first refuge of the incompetent.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Not 2005?
  • Options

That merely tells us that the UK government is fully aware of the consequences of a No Deal Brexit. And the EU27 know it, too. If the Nissan factory does close, where will the kind of sustainable, well-paid jobs that keep communities together come from to replace them? Is the government planning for it, just in case?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

£2.5m each year from King Henry's will plus the generosity of the community.

Funds 75 boys - 14 in College (King Henry pays for them), plus music scholars, American scholars and bursaries
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Funds 75 boys - 14 in College (King Henry pays for them), plus music scholars, American scholars and bursaries
  • Options
    John_M said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

Sarcasm aside, it is one of the risks. For example, JLR are building a new facility in Slovakia. In future, where will they invest to increase production or introduce new models? Castle Bromwich or Nitra?
    And where are Airbus going to develop and build their next generation of wings ?
  • Options
    edited February 2018

One of the great problems with the English public school system is that it teaches immensely privileged young men with mediocre minds that they are the elite. The country pays the price.

I love you too, @SouthamObserver !
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ask the Coldstream...
    Nulli Secundus
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TGOHF said:

He is box office

I'm looking forward to my nearest car being in some nearby field... The forty minute walk to it through mud will be great exercise. And wherever you are, trying to book a car one hour either side of the school run, both at the start and end of the day. That will be a doozy....
    Done properly, it could greatly reduce the total number of vehicles on such runs.
    A pound to a penny says it won't.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles, I have nothing against Eton - it's clearly an excellent educational institution, however many of its full fee paying students might or might not be overprivileged tits - but to claim that it is some egalitarian exemplar is just not convincing.

Even if you do so twice.
    :smile:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited February 2018
    Charles said:

I was thinking the Moggster, Daniel Hannan, Seamas Milne and various other prominent Brexit loons. Have you caused harm to the country?

• Options

Mr. Eagles, Nemesis (retribution, a daughter of Nyx).

I also thought Remain would win handily (my prediction was 60/40 for a long time) but Cameron and others were complacent. There were several unforced errors.

However, it's also interesting to consider the alternative. Suppose 52% had voted Remain. We would have the same divisions as now, except that most of the political and media class would be happy, and instead of fighting a rearguard action they'd be attempting to foster unity (whether that would be through taking account of the many who dislike the EU or the "We have won, it is settled" approach).

I disagree, had Remain won 52% then things like using EU citizens as bargaining chips wouldn't have happened which have poisoned the debate.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TGOHF said:

He is box office

A pound to a penny says it won't.
    Market pricing says that it absolutely will.
  • Options
    @iainaitch: Dear working class people. Please apply.

https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/961164811227811840
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    On Nissan in Sunderland - they’ve said they would review when final arrangements are known.
    That could be a good while yet.
  • Options

Charles said:

I was thinking the Moggster, Daniel Hannan, Seamas Milne and various other prominent Brexit loons. Have you caused harm to the country?

What, today? Presumably not, but there's a few hours left for him.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ask the Coldstream...
    Nulli Secundus
    They shouldn't have picked the wrong side, should they now.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    I dont think people are much bothered what school their politicians went to. Although they might be a bit worried that Jeremy Corbyn gives every impression of not having been to school at all.
  • Options
    In more uplifting news, Bethe strings have been observed experimentally:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25466
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    On topic, a relatively new phenomenon is the Hilton, Osbourne (sic), Kardashian thing of regarding the very rich as people to celebrate and study in a spirit of admiration rather than envy. Etonianhood is not merely detoxified but turned into a positive benefit. Who won't be watching The Rees Moggs on Sky Atlantic?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ask the Coldstream...
    Nulli Secundus
    They didn't though did they? They just started on the wrong side, but picked the right one later. Good old George Monck started on the right side, then the wrong, then right again of course.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, surprised you're citing Merkel's intransigence, but fair enough.

We would, however, have had EU-phile types such as Adonis pushing for closer integration, and matters such as the EU Army would have been rather more live. Plus, every time a QMV decision went against us, there'd be a large section of the electorate feeling unsure if they voted the right way when backing Remain, or vindicated having backed Leave.

The media would be working hard to paper over cracks, though. I doubt we would have suffered a 0.1% spike in inflation.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Nigelb said:

John_M said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

And where are Airbus going to develop and build their next generation of wings ?
    We can go on in this vein, naturally. However, we still don't know what Brexit looks like in practice.

I just dislike anyone (including 'my' side) handwaving away serious challenges to overcome in preserving integrated automotive supply chains (which often involve multiple trips back and forth across the channel).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    edited February 2018

That merely tells us that the UK government is fully aware of the consequences of a No Deal Brexit. And the EU27 know it, too. If the Nissan factory does close, where will the kind of sustainable, well-paid jobs that keep communities together come from to replace them? Is the government planning for it, just in case?

No one can say that they weren't warned in the NE and elsewhere.

Brexit means Brexit. If factories close then I am sure that they will shrug it off as a price well worth paying.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ask the Coldstream...
    Nulli Secundus
    They didn't though did they? They just started on the wrong side, but picked the right one later. Good old George Monck started on the right side, then the wrong, then right again of course.
    Indeed but they were a crucial six years...
  • Options

Charles said:

One of my cousins invented the null reference. Does that count?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well that's a relief, it's been weighing on me.

Here we use high-resolution terahertz spectroscopy to resolve string states in the antiferromagnetic Heisenberg–Ising chain SrCo2V2O8 in strong longitudinal magnetic fields

I might need some help unpicking that sentence, but I assume this is indeed big news, and good for them.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

The analysis would have come to that conclusion because the North East has a trade surplus with the EU I'd have thought (And areas with a surplus are likely to be worst hit ?)

The Nissan plant probably plays a big role in this of course.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ask the Coldstream...
    Nulli Secundus
    Trick in a civil war is to fight for both sides
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, surprised you're citing Merkel's intransigence, but fair enough.

We would, however, have had EU-phile types such as Adonis pushing for closer integration, and matters such as the EU Army would have been rather more live. Plus, every time a QMV decision went against us, there'd be a large section of the electorate feeling unsure if they voted the right way when backing Remain, or vindicated having backed Leave.

The media would be working hard to paper over cracks, though. I doubt we would have suffered a 0.1% spike in inflation.

It is Mrs May's intransigence.

The EU Army would be a non starter, we had a veto on it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Well that's a relief, it's been weighing on me.

Here we use high-resolution terahertz spectroscopy to resolve string states in the antiferromagnetic Heisenberg–Ising chain SrCo2V2O8 in strong longitudinal magnetic fields

I might need some help unpicking that sentence, but I assume this is indeed big news, and good for them.

I don't think it's massive news in the physics community, but it is kind of cool.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Charles said:

Trick in a civil war is to fight for both sides

Campaign for hard Brexit, reject soft Brexit and then back Remain.

It's a race between BoJo and ReMo...
This discussion has been closed.