Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Those from elite schools continue to dominate the betting to s

Comments

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Foxy said:

A thought about those regional economic impact assessments. For the north east to be 16% adrift on a no deal basis, would that implicitly assume that Nissan close their factory in Sunderland?

That merely tells us that the UK government is fully aware of the consequences of a No Deal Brexit. And the EU27 know it, too. If the Nissan factory does close, where will the kind of sustainable, well-paid jobs that keep communities together come from to replace them? Is the government planning for it, just in case?

No one can say that they weren't warned in the NE and elsewhere.

Brexit means Brexit. If factories close then I am sure that they will shrug it off as a price well worth paying.
    Very true , they will love eating well on principles.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

This may have come up, but it is true there is nothing more elite than going to Eton? It is definitely up there, but there has to be something so entitled and decadent that it eclipses even attending Eton College.

Attending Eton is neither entitled or decadent

The School is the focal point of the OE community - it's only natural that fathers will want to send their sons there to maintain continuity*. It's not that different from someone wanting to buy a house in the village that they grew up in.

* For the record, I was 8th generation on my father's side and 6th on my mother's.
    I was only teasing, but that's why I did ask if there was something more elite than going to Eton. Although to be frank, speaking as someone in a county stuffed full of villages and only small towns, it is very often only elite people who can afford to buy a house in the village they grew up in.
    The Grenadiers think they are...
    And who's to say they're not?

:wink:
    Ask the Coldstream...
    Second Regiment of Foot Guards
    Nulli Secundus
    They shouldn't have picked the wrong side, should they now.
    Trick in a civil war is to fight for both sides
    Nah, the trick in a civil war is to sell weapon to both sides.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Mr. Eagles, surprised you're citing Merkel's intransigence, but fair enough.

We would, however, have had EU-phile types such as Adonis pushing for closer integration, and matters such as the EU Army would have been rather more live. Plus, every time a QMV decision went against us, there'd be a large section of the electorate feeling unsure if they voted the right way when backing Remain, or vindicated having backed Leave.

The media would be working hard to paper over cracks, though. I doubt we would have suffered a 0.1% spike in inflation.

It is Mrs May's intransigence.

The EU Army would be a non starter, we had a veto on it.

We used to have veto over many other things, but they disappeared. QMV for an EU army was only a matter of time.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    John_M said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:
    Wait - so the revelation is a car manufacturer wants to make money ?

This is sensational news - Brexit must be halted until we discover how on earth any business enterprise outside of the EU operates.

Also nevermind Brexit - Jezza will want to nationalise the factory.
    Sarcasm aside, it is one of the risks. For example, JLR are building a new facility in Slovakia. In future, where will they invest to increase production or introduce new models? Castle Bromwich or Nitra?
    I'm amused that in a post May world, people are worried that a government led by Gove, Boris and the Moggster isn't going to be business friendly enough.

In the unlikely even we get hit by tarriffs then we slash other business costs - taxes, rates etc.

• Options

Mr. Eagles, surprised you're citing Merkel's intransigence, but fair enough.

We would, however, have had EU-phile types such as Adonis pushing for closer integration, and matters such as the EU Army would have been rather more live. Plus, every time a QMV decision went against us, there'd be a large section of the electorate feeling unsure if they voted the right way when backing Remain, or vindicated having backed Leave.

The media would be working hard to paper over cracks, though. I doubt we would have suffered a 0.1% spike in inflation.

It is Mrs May's intransigence.

The EU Army would be a non starter, we had a veto on it.

We used to have veto over many other things, but they disappeared. QMV for an EU army was only a matter of time.

Enough of your project fear scaremongering.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    Charles said:

Charles said:

One of the great problems with the English public school system is that it teaches immensely privileged young men with mediocre minds that they are the elite. The country pays the price.

I love you too, @SouthamObserver !

I was thinking the Moggster, Daniel Hannan, Seamas Milne and various other prominent Brexit loons. Have you caused harm to the country?

One of my cousins invented the null reference. Does that count?
    Tony?
  • Options
    If only they had been in the same Superman film.

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/961646709397970944
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

John_M said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:
    Wait - so the revelation is a car manufacturer wants to make money ?

This is sensational news - Brexit must be halted until we discover how on earth any business enterprise outside of the EU operates.

Also nevermind Brexit - Jezza will want to nationalise the factory.
    Sarcasm aside, it is one of the risks. For example, JLR are building a new facility in Slovakia. In future, where will they invest to increase production or introduce new models? Castle Bromwich or Nitra?
    I'm amused that in a post May world, people are worried that a government led by Gove, Boris and the Moggster isn't going to be business friendly enough.

In the unlikely even we get hit by tarriffs then we slash other business costs - taxes, rates etc.

Simples.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The thing is, if Sunderland Central was ever going to become a Tory marginal it was at GE2017. It didn't and won't be, so it won't be as high on the Tory calculation list as it could have been...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

This may have come up, but it is true there is nothing more elite than going to Eton? It is definitely up there, but there has to be something so entitled and decadent that it eclipses even attending Eton College.

The School is the focal point of the OE community - it's only natural that fathers will want to send their sons there to maintain continuity*. It's not that different from someone wanting to buy a house in the village that they grew up in.

* For the record, I was 8th generation on my father's side and 6th on my mother's.
    I was only teasing, but that's why I did ask if there was something more elite than going to Eton. Although to be frank, speaking as someone in a county stuffed full of villages and only small towns, it is very often only elite people who can afford to buy a house in the village they grew up in.

Ask the Coldstream...
    Nulli Secundus
    We still have some cotton bonds on a wall somewhere... ;)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,062
    Charles said:

Charles said:

One of the great problems with the English public school system is that it teaches immensely privileged young men with mediocre minds that they are the elite. The country pays the price.

I was thinking the Moggster, Daniel Hannan, Seamas Milne and various other prominent Brexit loons. Have you caused harm to the country?

He must have been exceptional.
  • Options

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Ask the Coldstream...
    Nulli Secundus
    If my great-great-grandfather hadn't picked the wrong side in the 1920s...

www.ballynahinch-castle.com
    www.rosscastle.com
    www.castleellenhouse.wordpress.com
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?
    Yep. He calls it his billion dollar mistake...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?
    Ah, so you guys are the source of the Jack Aubrey quote.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?
    Yep.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?
    I feel privileged just being able to read such enlightened and apposite dialogue. Thank you (doffs cap)
  • Options
  • Options
    Now even W says publicly that Russian meddling is not fake news:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/08/george-w-bush-russia-election-meddling-398173
  • Options
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/08/george-w-bush-russia-election-meddling-398173

Whatever next. God help us if the Yanks ever start meddling.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    stodge said:

Oh and watch the reruns of the 2015 general election.

I always find when I'm in a bad mood watching the 1997 GE coverage cheers me up no end !!

Pleased you like it. I think I was the first person to put it on YouTube.
  • Options
    Vassal state status? That's going to trigger a confidence vote from the ERG mob.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    stevef said:

I dont think people are much bothered what school their politicians went to. Although they might be a bit worried that Jeremy Corbyn gives every impression of not having been to school at all.

Of course he did. How else could he have got two E's?

(Night class?)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

How else could he have got elected?
  • Options

stevef said:

I dont think people are much bothered what school their politicians went to. Although they might be a bit worried that Jeremy Corbyn gives every impression of not having been to school at all.

Of course he did. How else could he have got two E's?

(Night class?)
    Has anyone actually checked?
  • Options
    Re the Tory poll lead in YouGov, I think my view is going to be fairly unpopular but I wouldn’t read too much into it. We’ve gone from the Tories having a 20+ lead, to a hung parliament, a Labour lead of up to 8, and now a Tory lead of 4 in less than a year. After the last two GEs, and the surprises they both bought, the one thing I’ve learned is not to take polls so literally. I remember when Remain led by double digits in polls shortly after the 2015 GE. So many misplaced narratives have emerged from polling in these last few years.

The one thing I will say is that I think those hoping for a New Labour style Labour Party will be kept waiting, irregardless of how Labour do in 2022. I think that even though they wouldn’t vote for it, many on the centre right want there to be a Labour Party that accepts/embraces some Conservative ideas and I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

I’d like a Labour Party which didn’t have the issues it does with anti-Semitism, nor Seamus Milne associated with it, nor McDonnell as Shadow Chancellor. But I wouldn’t want to see Labour mimic Tory positions on immigration, the economy, welfare, and public services. I understand why Corbyn’s taking the position he is on Brexit, even though my own views are closer to the likes of Ian Dunt.

• Options

Nigelb said:

How else could he have got elected?
    Bribery?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

Re the Tory poll lead in YouGov, I think my view is going to be fairly unpopular but I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Sounds pretty sensible to me
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Re the Tory poll lead in YouGov, I think my view is going to be fairly unpopular but I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Sounds pretty sensible to me
    I also don't have a problem although "sensible" is a bit strong
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

A thought about those regional economic impact assessments. For the north east to be 16% adrift on a no deal basis, would that implicitly assume that Nissan close their factory in Sunderland?

That merely tells us that the UK government is fully aware of the consequences of a No Deal Brexit. And the EU27 know it, too. If the Nissan factory does close, where will the kind of sustainable, well-paid jobs that keep communities together come from to replace them? Is the government planning for it, just in case?

No one can say that they weren't warned in the NE and elsewhere.

Brexit means Brexit. If factories close then I am sure that they will shrug it off as a price well worth paying.
    Very true , they will love eating well on principles.
    Looking at stats, NE growth for 97-15 was 87%, which includes a fair range of economic conditions to say the least.

So let's say 70% growth over 15 years is an approx benchmark. The 16% reduction is a 16% reduction of what?

16% of the growth lost: 70% growth -> 59% growth
    16 points of growth lost -> 54% growth
    16% lower GDP in 15 years -> 43% growth

I suspect the middle one.

Of course as a high debt, post crash economy, you could be factoring lower underlying regional growth. 2.5% per year would be around a 45% start point, then the calcs look very different.

On some of these numbers WTO could be argued as a political decision, on others the growth performance turns the NE into Italy.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    I am sure that is for real, but it loses impact by looking like the world's worst photoshop.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is this really all that surprising?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?
    He’s a little harsh on himself with that quote, there’s many worse things in computing than null references. :)

How many more geniuses are there in your family?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Vassal state status? That's going to trigger a confidence vote from the ERG mob.
    Yes yes, but does the European Research Group actually research into the EU :) ?
  • Options
    Davis finally cranking up the spin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/08/david-davis-accuses-eu-discourteous-acting-bad-faith-transition/

"The source accused Brussels of deliberately stalling negotiations in a bid to reduce negotiating time and increase pressure on Britain. "They're playing games," the source said.

Mr Davis told Sky News: "I do not think it was in good faith to publish a document with frankly discourteous language and actually implying that they could arbitrarily terminate in effect the implementation period.

"That's not what the aim of this exercise is, it's not in good faith and we think it was unwise to publish it.""
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Best piece of journalistic writing I've come across for a long while.Brilliant.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I am sure that is for real, but it loses impact by looking like the world's worst photoshop.
    They both appeared on Andrew Marr together in 2010. I think it was the same morning that Marr showed his #BBCbias by spilling a jug of milk all over Mrs May's clothes:

https://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/2010/11/mortified-marr-labour-coulson
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

To be clear: I am not charging any individuals at the Daily Telegraph with willingly promoting hatred of Jews or writing with that agenda in mind.

Right, so no story then.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2018
    Re May, and the recent schengians with Tory MPs allegedly not being too happy with her: I have no idea why there is this rush to replace her. It’s hardly as if the alternatives are that great - there’s certainly no guarantee they’d be doing better than May. And for all her flaws, she’s certainly a much better option for the Tory party and the country than Boris or JRM. I still feel quite neutral towards May myself, although I would say I’m more sceptical about her political abilities than I was when she first became Tory leader, then I actually thought she’d be quite good.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Is this really all that surprising?
    Perhaps not, but it is notable.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    How did Theresa go from the nice, smiling person with Alice Cooper to the crazed, unhinged "Crush The Saboteurs" Theresa on the front of the Daily Rant? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    By the way, the story about May implying she'll sell off parts of the NHS to the US seems to be spreading like wildfire on Facebook.
  • Options

Guardian also obsessed with identity over ideas. It's not a constructive approach.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    tlg86 said:

To be clear: I am not charging any individuals at the Daily Telegraph with willingly promoting hatred of Jews or writing with that agenda in mind.

Right, so no story then.
    So it is a secret plot to stop Brexit, not an anti-Semitic rant?
  • Options
    The Guardian : "Nowhere does the Telegraph say that Soros is Jewish. But to a particular audience – to those whose antennae are attuned to the high-frequency signal – it goes without saying. "

Incredible.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

By the way, the story about May implying she'll sell off parts of the NHS to the US seems to be spreading like wildfire on Facebook.

May really likes to create problems for herself, doesn’t she....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

The Guardian : "Nowhere does the Telegraph say that Soros is Jewish. But to a particular audience – to those whose antennae are attuned to the high-frequency signal – it goes without saying. "

Incredible.

Like those working at the Guardian?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    TGOHF said:

Incredible.

I didn't know Soros was Jewish until I read it on here this morning TBH,
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    First post-coalition deal poll in Germany:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

...shows nothing very much, though compared with the last GMS poll it does give a further Green boost. As the agrement is short on green promises, that does make sense.
  • Options
    A sentiment not unknown to pb.com readers.....
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Guardian also obsessed with identity over ideas. It's not a constructive approach.
    Is Brexit driven by ideas or by identity? What's your idea for the customs border with Ireland?
  • Options
    I have to say, I'm perplexed by Mark Carney's comments on interest rates. Inflation is falling, any now they want to up rates? Monetary policy has been very confused since 2012.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

Incredible.

Is he referring to Momentum?
  • Options

Re May, and the recent schengians with Tory MPs allegedly not being too happy with her: I have no idea why there is this rush to replace her. It’s hardly as if the alternatives are that great - there’s certainly no guarantee they’d be doing better than May. And for all her flaws, she’s certainly a much better option for the Tory party and the country than Boris or JRM. I still feel quite neutral towards May myself, although I would say I’m more sceptical about her political abilities than I was when she first became Tory leader, then I actually thought she’d be quite good.

I believe it is all about "get rid of monkey Hammond now, or we get rid of the organ-grinder too".
  • Options

Moronic. His case is that "Nowhere does the Telegraph say that Soros is Jewish. But to a particular audience – to those whose antennae are attuned to the high-frequency signal – it goes without saying." Well, of course it does, so what is the Telegraph to do? They have to give Soros some kind of context, which at least has to be that he is not a UK citizen and that he is a rich financier. It is deeply true that to many people, not all of them in the Labour party, those two facts alone trigger the responses "Rothschild, rootless, Elders of Zion, Saturdays by appointment only", but what is the Telegraph meant to do? Ignore the story, create a false identity for him as a retired mime artist living in Luton, or what?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?
    He’s a little harsh on himself with that quote, there’s many worse things in computing than null references. :)

Does inventing the banker’s draft and the cheque count?

Edit: and my grandfather was a Fellow of All Souls :)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Is Brexit driven by ideas or by identity? What's your idea for the customs border with Ireland?
    Ideas.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Moronic. His case is that "Nowhere does the Telegraph say that Soros is Jewish. But to a particular audience – to those whose antennae are attuned to the high-frequency signal – it goes without saying." Well, of course it does, so what is the Telegraph to do? They have to give Soros some kind of context, which at least has to be that he is not a UK citizen and that he is a rich financier. It is deeply true that to many people, not all of them in the Labour party, those two facts alone trigger the responses "Rothschild, rootless, Elders of Zion, Saturdays by appointment only", but what is the Telegraph meant to do? Ignore the story, create a false identity for him as a retired mime artist living in Luton, or what?
    I agree but it is not how it will play out is it, and quite possibly not how it was meant to play out. Not that I'm inferring anything mind.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I agree but it is not how it will play out is it, and quite possibly not how it was meant to play out. Not that I'm inferring anything mind.
    The Guardian is accusing the Telegraph of thought crime.

• Options
    AndyJS said:
    Any chance at all of the membership rejecting the deal? The parties in Germany seem terrified of having new elections, of rejecting someone going into coalition even when obvious alliances are not in play.
  • Options
    Rob Ford articulates far more clearly than I could what I find troubling about the Telegraph's front page last night:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/961610545282633728
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:
    Any chance at all of the membership rejecting the deal? The parties in Germany seem terrified of having new elections, of rejecting someone going into coalition even when obvious alliances are not in play.
    I think 40%+ of the delegates were against, so not a slam dunk.....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    This is interesting but omits any view on whether Corbyn's pissing in the tent will be the salvation of the Labour Party. I'm not in the tent but suspect that the consequences of Corbyn's pissing will impact me substantially
  • Options

Rob Ford articulates far more clearly than I could what I find troubling about the Telegraph's front page last night:

I'm sorry, but the only people peddling antisemitism are the likes of Ford tweeting things like this...

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/961613620550426624
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm sorry, but the only people peddling antisemitism are the likes of Ford tweeting things like this...

George Soros has probably been the subject of more anti-Semitic abuse than any other single living person. Of course it has to be mentioned in the context of allegations of "secret plots" about him.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited February 2018

tlg86 said:

George Soros has probably been the subject of more anti-Semitic abuse than any other single living person. Of course it has to be mentioned in the context of allegations of "secret plots" about him.
    Brexit is essentially a kind of conspiracy theory (those dastardly Europeans bending our bananas! Those terrible economists forecasting doom and gloom!), and so unsurprising that parts of the Brexit movement will end up flirting with anti-Semitism.

Shame it happens to be on the front of the Telegraph, though.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Brexit is essentially a kind of conspiracy theory (those dastardly Europeans bending our bananas! Those terrible economists forecasting doom and gloom!), and so unsurprising that parts of the Brexit movement will end up flirting with anti-Semitism.

The Telegraph has well and truly jumped shark since Brexit.
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    Very much hope JRM is the next PM. Where he went to school? I couldn't care less.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited February 2018
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?

We've heard something like this before, haven't we?

Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The fallacy of the undistributed middle: oak trees are trees, beeches are trees, therefore oaks are beeches.

Brexiters are conspiracy theorists, anti Semites are conspiracy theorists, therefore brexiters are anti-Semites.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

To be fair, the summary box does point out that Orban has been accused of "stoking antisemetic feeling".
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I wouldn’t read too much into “secret plots”. For a political journalist all “plots” are “secret” in the same way all “backbenchers” are “senior”
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?

Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart...
    Happy to admit that I’m bright and good at interpreting data but not an original thinker.

And I don’t want to be US President.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998
    Off-topic:

It appears the USAF have blown up a SpaceX rocket, and SpaceX are happy about it:
    http://www.americaspace.com/2018/02/08/air-force-strike-takes-out-spacexs-floating-govsat-booster/
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

tlg86 said:

The fallacy of the undistributed middle: oak trees are trees, beeches are trees, therefore oaks are beeches.

Brexiters are conspiracy theorists, anti Semites are conspiracy theorists, therefore brexiters are anti-Semites.
    Not really because oaks and beeches are mutually exclusive categories, whereas Brexitry and anti-semitism —- not so much.
  • Options
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?

As I was saying to Quincy Jones and the Duchess of Wessex just the other day —- the only reason I come to PB is for Charles’s hilarious name dropping.
  • Options
    Okay, maybe I’m missing something here. How is saying “Rich man gives money to political campaign” antisemitic, just because the rich man happens to be Jewish? There was no mention of Judaism in the article at all.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Okay, maybe I’m missing something here. How is saying “Rich man gives money to political campaign” antisemitic, just because the rich man happens to be Jewish? There was no mention of Judaism in the article at all.

Read the thread posted by Mr Meeks.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Sandpit said:

Read the thread Alistair linked to, the Rob Ford one.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?

As I was saying to Quincy Jones and the Duchess of Wessex just the other day —- the only reason I come to PB is for Charles’s hilarious name dropping.
    I was asked a question and i answered it. At least partially - I didn’t mention the gardener, the antiquarian or the painter all of whom are well known in their areas of expertise.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

tlg86 said:

Farage, arguably the most famous Brexiter, appears to be a curious hybrid of oak and beech.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Read the thread posted by Mr Meeks.
    I read that, and all the comments under it, and all the comments here, and still don’t get it. The article made no mention of Jews or Jewishness, Rob Ford notes that other people who don’t like Soros don’t like him because he’s Jewish, but the Telegraph article doesn’t say any of that, only that a rich foreign man give a big cheque to a Remain campaign.

Must be too late for my frazzled brain, beer o’clock I think.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?

I was asked a question and i answered it. At least partially - I didn’t mention the gardener, the antiquarian or the painter all of whom are well known in their areas of expertise.
    ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?

;)
    Or the one who cuckolded a famous cricketer...

(But his painting was hung in the cellar for 100 years as a punishment)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?

No duds at all
  • Options
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tony?

No duds at all
    Plenty of them - one was so duddish that we shipped him to New Zealand where he went bankrupt running a sheep farm...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Because completely different people, in completely different contexts, have said anti-Semitic things about him, is the argument, I think. There is a new flavour of smear here where if A says something, and B quite unconnectedly says something about the same thing, and you know very well there is no causal connection, you say A is *complicit* in what B says, and vv.

What is really happening is that the left is smarting so badly from being correctly accused of anti-Semitism, it has leapt at the chance of making incorrect allegations against other people.

But what a storm in a teacup. How many protocols do you get for £400,000 these days, after all? The story is "Foolish old man spends money foolishly," and anyone who thinks that "foolish old man" is a dog whistle allusion to a well-known 1930s nazi anti-Semitic trope, can keep it to themselves.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Whiff whaff to decide whether to leave the customs union?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    Scott_P said:
    Should be a fun day out. What could possibly go wrong?
This discussion has been closed.