Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Those from elite schools continue to dominate the betting to s

124»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

kle4 said:
    Whiff whaff to decide whether to leave the customs union?
    Hardly seems fair as I am sure Boris is a master of the whaffing, although on reflection I don't even know which side he is on in that fight.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2018
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:
    Whiff whaff to decide whether to leave the customs union?
    Hardly seems fair as I am sure Boris is a master of the whaffing, although on reflection I don't even know which side he is on in that fight.
    :grin::lol:
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Should be a fun day out. What could possibly go wrong?
    Definitely when Theresa orders one of her Cabinet ministers to do something, the thing is as good as done. Definitely. So should be plain sailing.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Okay, maybe I’m missing something here. How is saying “Rich man gives money to political campaign” antisemitic, just because the rich man happens to be Jewish? There was no mention of Judaism in the article at all.

Because completely different people, in completely different contexts, have said anti-Semitic things about him, is the argument, I think. There is a new flavour of smear here where if A says something, and B quite unconnectedly says something about the same thing, and you know very well there is no causal connection, you say A is *complicit* in what B says, and vv.

What is really happening is that the left is smarting so badly from being correctly accused of anti-Semitism, it has leapt at the chance of making incorrect allegations against other people.

But what a storm in a teacup. How many protocols do you get for £400,000 these days, after all? The story is "Foolish old man spends money foolishly," and anyone who thinks that "foolish old man" is a dog whistle allusion to a well-known 1930s nazi anti-Semitic trope, can keep it to themselves.
    Just because you don't "get it" doesn't mean it hasn't caused a great deal of offence.

A lot of Trump supporters find nothing offensive in what he's said...
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Okay, maybe I’m missing something here. How is saying “Rich man gives money to political campaign” antisemitic, just because the rich man happens to be Jewish? There was no mention of Judaism in the article at all.

Because completely different people, in completely different contexts, have said anti-Semitic things about him, is the argument, I think. There is a new flavour of smear here where if A says something, and B quite unconnectedly says something about the same thing, and you know very well there is no causal connection, you say A is *complicit* in what B says, and vv.

What is really happening is that the left is smarting so badly from being correctly accused of anti-Semitism, it has leapt at the chance of making incorrect allegations against other people.

But what a storm in a teacup. How many protocols do you get for £400,000 these days, after all? The story is "Foolish old man spends money foolishly," and anyone who thinks that "foolish old man" is a dog whistle allusion to a well-known 1930s nazi anti-Semitic trope, can keep it to themselves.
    Just because you don't "get it" doesn't mean it hasn't caused a great deal of offence.

A lot of Trump supporters find nothing offensive in what he's said...
    I don't see what "get it" means (nor why you write it in quotes)? Perhaps you could explain how you think the Telegraph would have reported this story if the facts were all the same except that George Soros were the verifiably goy, John Smith? What, specifically, would be different?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Read the thread posted by Mr Meeks.
    I read that, and all the comments under it, and all the comments here, and still don’t get it. The article made no mention of Jews or Jewishness, Rob Ford notes that other people who don’t like Soros don’t like him because he’s Jewish, but the Telegraph article doesn’t say any of that, only that a rich foreign man give a big cheque to a Remain campaign.

Must be too late for my frazzled brain, beer o’clock I think.
    The style it is written in, talking about secret plots, etc, is like a paint-by-numbers version of writing about an international Jewish conspiracy, with the exception of not directly using the word Jewish.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I read that, and all the comments under it, and all the comments here, and still don’t get it. The article made no mention of Jews or Jewishness, Rob Ford notes that other people who don’t like Soros don’t like him because he’s Jewish, but the Telegraph article doesn’t say any of that, only that a rich foreign man give a big cheque to a Remain campaign.

The style it is written in, talking about secret plots, etc, is like a paint-by-numbers version of writing about an international Jewish conspiracy, with the exception of not directly using the word Jewish.
    I actually don’t think Nick Timothy is anti-Semitic. I just think the writing here is incredibly careless, if not negligent.

Timothy, and the Daily Telegraph, have a responsibility not to pander to this sort of meme. Timothy is a smart chap, it’s just amazing he didn’t realise the kind of narrative he is reinforcing. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    It could of course be pointed out, I think(?), that significant roots of anti-Semitism lie not in actual dislike of Jews but dislike of ("rich") bankers. Whose profession historically tended to be dominated by Jews because their religion allowed it where others didn't. In other words many people didn't come to get a negative impression of bankers because they were Jews, but Jews because they were bankers.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,706
    Am I understanding this right? The UK wants third parties to PRETEND we have FTA and similar agreements with them, even though we haven't signed anything with those parties and the original agreements no longer apply to us?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

I actually don’t think Nick Timothy is anti-Semitic. I just think the writing here is incredibly careless, if not negligent.

Do you think he's really given it any deep thought? His rhetoric about 'citizens of nowhere' and denials of anti-Semitism on the basis of being 'pro-Israel' certainly don't show much nuance about the position of British Jews in his worldview.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    FF43 said:

Am I understanding this right? The UK wants third parties to PRETEND we have FTA and similar agreements with them, even though we haven't signed anything with those parties and the original agreements no longer apply to us?

Yep. Imagine many countries will agree - in exchange for a few favours...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

This is the technical note. It uses the Vienna Convention as a justification for why the third-parties should take the context of the transition period into account and act as if nothing has yet changed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/680366/Technical_Note_-_International_Agreements_in_the_Implementation_Period_-_CLEAN.pdf
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Well, yes, and calling anyone a twat is definitely anti semitic, because "twat" is obviously "Jewish twat" with the word "Jewish" left out.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    Scott_P said:
    Labour MPs leaking about having the spine to stand up to Oh Jeremy? Have we returned to pre June 2017?
  • Options

FF43 said:

This is the technical note. It uses the Vienna Convention as a justification for why the third-parties should take the context of the transition period into account and act as if nothing has yet changed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/680366/Technical_Note_-_International_Agreements_in_the_Implementation_Period_-_CLEAN.pdf
    The Vienna Convention?

This means nothing to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    rkrkrk said:

FF43 said:

To be clear about this, the third parties literally won't agree, because of lack of time or it's too complicated? The UK wants them to pretend they have agreed, as I understand, but none of this has legal status. As these will cover sensitive topics like nuclear fuel, personal data I can see problems. It makes planning a nightmare I would have thought. Say you are an airline plying the highly competitive trans Atlantic airline. Your competitors can go to a US court and get you shut down because your flights are illegal. Or you are a British company trying to get a remedy in a foreign territory under a treaty that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Dow and S&P 500 both about to close over 3% down. End times ahoy.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

tlg86 said:

Rob Ford articulates far more clearly than I could what I find troubling about the Telegraph's front page last night:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/961610545282633728

I'm sorry, but the only people peddling antisemitism are the likes of Ford tweeting things like this...

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/961613620550426624
    George Soros has probably been the subject of more anti-Semitic abuse than any other single living person. Of course it has to be mentioned in the context of allegations of "secret plots" about him.
    Even using "probably" you can come nowhere near being able to justify the first sentence. Think you might benefit from thinking.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,256
    edited February 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dow closed down 4.16%
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Dow closed down 4.16%
    Bugger me, so it did.

Those pesky international conspirators.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

FF43 said:

To be clear about this, the third parties literally won't agree, because of lack of time or it's too complicated? The UK wants them to pretend they have agreed, as I understand, but none of this has legal status. As these will cover sensitive topics like nuclear fuel, personal data I can see problems. It makes planning a nightmare I would have thought. Say you are an airline plying the highly competitive trans Atlantic airline. Your competitors can go to a US court and get you shut down because your flights are illegal. Or you are a British company trying to get a remedy in a foreign territory under a treaty that doesn't exist.
    I remember a discussion with mr Meeks on this issue.
    I wondered whether we really would see flights grounded/similar or whether we would just all agree to quietly ignore the law.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Remainers talking to remainers - will not change our exit
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

tlg86 said:

Rob Ford articulates far more clearly than I could what I find troubling about the Telegraph's front page last night:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/961610545282633728

I'm sorry, but the only people peddling antisemitism are the likes of Ford tweeting things like this...

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/961613620550426624
    George Soros has probably been the subject of more anti-Semitic abuse than any other single living person. Of course it has to be mentioned in the context of allegations of "secret plots" about him.
    Brexit is essentially a kind of conspiracy theory (those dastardly Europeans bending our bananas! Those terrible economists forecasting doom and gloom!), and so unsurprising that parts of the Brexit movement will end up flirting with anti-Semitism.

Shame it happens to be on the front of the Telegraph, though.
    The fallacy of the undistributed middle: oak trees are trees, beeches are trees, therefore oaks are beeches.

Brexiters are conspiracy theorists, anti Semites are conspiracy theorists, therefore brexiters are anti-Semites.
    Not really because oaks and beeches are mutually exclusive categories, whereas Brexitry and anti-semitism —- not so much.
    You can't really believe this. If so then you'll have to re-christen yourself "Sleep Walker".
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

FF43 said:

Delving deeper, it seems the third parties still need to agree. In that sense nothing has changed. Instead of agreeing a new text, they agree to adopt the existing text with substitutions like "for 'EU member state' read 'UK as a vassal state of the EU' "
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

One of the great problems with the English public school system is that it teaches immensely privileged young men with mediocre minds that they are the elite. The country pays the price.

I love you too, @SouthamObserver !

I was thinking the Moggster, Daniel Hannan, Seamas Milne and various other prominent Brexit loons. Have you caused harm to the country?

One of my cousins invented the null reference. Does that count?
    Tony?
    Yep. He calls it his billion dollar mistake...
    He’s a little harsh on himself with that quote, there’s many worse things in computing than null references. :)

How many more geniuses are there in your family?
    Does inventing the banker’s draft and the cheque count?

Edit: and my grandfather was a Fellow of All Souls :)
    We've heard something like this before, haven't we?

Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart...
    As I was saying to Quincy Jones and the Duchess of Wessex just the other day —- the only reason I come to PB is for Charles’s hilarious name dropping.
    I was asked a question and i answered it. At least partially - I didn’t mention the gardener, the antiquarian or the painter all of whom are well known in their areas of expertise.
    No duds at all
    Plenty of them - one was so duddish that we shipped him to New Zealand where he went bankrupt running a sheep farm...
    Presumably chose his occupation so that he wouldn't miss the girls he left behind
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Remainers talking to remainers - will not change our exit
    Also not mentioning that this cuts both ways - they don't recognise our licences, we don't recognise theirs......
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The great thing about dog whistles is that usually only dogs can hear them, and unless you're actually caught puffing strenuously with whistle in gob, you can deny getting the pooches worked up.
  • Options

A nation divided......

The DUP's Brexiteer brethren don't seem too bothered about Northern Ireland.
  • Options

A nation divided......

The DUP's Brexiteer brethren don't seem too bothered about Northern Ireland.
    Neither do Remainers much.....#5 on their list of priorities, barely a quarter of them....and fewer than want to be able to do trade deals.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,189
    Great graphic. Feeling sorry for Mrs May doesn’t come easily to me but....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Oh dear. Let the healing begin ;).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The great thing about dog whistles is that usually only dogs can hear them, and unless you're actually caught puffing strenuously with whistle in gob, you can deny getting the pooches worked up.
    Yes, hence the metaphor. But tell us: if you say "international Jewish conspiracy" that's anti-semitic, and if you say "international conspiracy" that's just a way of saying "international Jewish conspiracy" in a dog whistleish way, duh, OBVIOUSLY; so what is the correct way of referring to a conspiracy whose only relevant quality is that it is international?
  • Options

FF43 said:

The Vienna Convention?

LOL. Very good.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

The Vienna Convention?

LOL. Very good.
    Don't encourage him
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    To explore the outer purlieus of relevance I suggest that "the Donald" might want to consider consulting Elton John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmyZcBnC2M

http://www.aihr.com.au/blog/celebrity-hair-transplant-elton-johns-hair-restoration-success
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, hence the metaphor. But tell us: if you say "international Jewish conspiracy" that's anti-semitic, and if you say "international conspiracy" that's just a way of saying "international Jewish conspiracy" in a dog whistleish way, duh, OBVIOUSLY; so what is the correct way of referring to a conspiracy whose only relevant quality is that it is international?
    Can you give an example of this nothing but international conspiracy of which you speak?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Can you give an example of this nothing but international conspiracy of which you speak?
    The alleged interference by Russia in UK and us elections and referendums.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

The Vienna Convention?

LOL. Very good.
    Don't encourage him
    Loved the Private Eye cartoon.
  • Options
    Oooh

Jeremy Corbyn told Michel Barnier that he was open to keeping Britain in the customs union after Brexit, a memo circulated to European nations suggests.

The Labour leader met Mr Barnier, the European Union's chief Brexit negotiator, in London on Monday, where Mr Corbyn promised to run the Brexit negotiations “very differently” if he came to power - and dangled a raft of possible concessions to the EU.

According to a memo of the meeting, drawn up after a debrief between Mr Barnier and ambassadors from the other 27 EU nations, Mr Corbyn said that he was willing to allow the UK to submit to the rulings of the European Court of Justice should he become prime minister.

The document, seen by The Daily Telegraph, also states that Mr Corbyn said he could offer a “unilateral guarantee” on the rights of EU citizens during transition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/08/eu-memo-barnier-meeting-raises-questions-jeremy-corbyns-brexit/
  • Options
    Elegantly and eloquently argued - but I’m not sure it’s the Leavers raging against the dieing of the light....
  • Options
    Toms said:

To explore the outer purlieus of relevance I suggest that "the Donald" might want to consider consulting Elton John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmyZcBnC2M

http://www.aihr.com.au/blog/celebrity-hair-transplant-elton-johns-hair-restoration-success

Like a hair weave in the wind.

It's funny that everyone assume Don's bawheidedness was at the front when in fact it was all going on at the back.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Maybe but will anything save the SPD from the consequences of being the junior partner in yet another Grand Coalition?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,279
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes you are right.

If you are a seven year old.

If you are a grown up with a lifetime of being able to contextualise things you read and hear, then not so much.
  • Options

Oooh

Jeremy Corbyn told Michel Barnier that he was open to keeping Britain in the customs union after Brexit, a memo circulated to European nations suggests.

The Labour leader met Mr Barnier, the European Union's chief Brexit negotiator, in London on Monday, where Mr Corbyn promised to run the Brexit negotiations “very differently” if he came to power - and dangled a raft of possible concessions to the EU.

According to a memo of the meeting, drawn up after a debrief between Mr Barnier and ambassadors from the other 27 EU nations, Mr Corbyn said that he was willing to allow the UK to submit to the rulings of the European Court of Justice should he become prime minister.

The document, seen by The Daily Telegraph, also states that Mr Corbyn said he could offer a “unilateral guarantee” on the rights of EU citizens during transition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/08/eu-memo-barnier-meeting-raises-questions-jeremy-corbyns-brexit/

Maybe he should some time considering the graphic downthread.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    “There is nothing more elite than going to Eton”

Except possibly working for the BBC.... as Mike Smithson did....
This discussion has been closed.