Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Case Not Proven: The suggestion that there’s been a LAB>CON sh

13»

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

Brexit has triggered an assertive pro-European movement that is growing stronger all the time.

Will this movement be standing many candidates in the May election ?
    Then it can campaign to rejoin the EU after we have left. But it must not be allowed to frustrate a democratic referendum either by stopping Brexit or imposing Brexit in name only.

Brexit in name only* is still Brexit... we would still have left the EU, and therefore satisfied the referendum mandate :smile:

(* Which is pretty much where I expect us to end up)
    Brexit in name only means free movement continuing uncontrolled, ECJ jurisdiction over the UK and continued payments to Brussels, it would revive UKIP quicker than Lazarus which is why neither the Tories nor Corbyn will do it
    Fair point, so let's remember that definition when the soft Brexit this government ends up with is labelled BINO by JRM, Farage and their fellow europhobes.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

As an aside, I predict that giving puberty-blocking drugs to children who think that they're the wrong sex will generate a mass of litigation in 10-15 years time.

I fear that the deliberate attempts by some to promote gender-confusion amongst children and adolescents is a major mental-health timebomb. It amounts to child cruelty.
    Did conservatives learn nothing from section 28?

It's going to happen again, isn't it? We're going to have "An act to refrain public bodies from promoting gender confusion" on the statute book...

FFS. There's nothing wrong with these kids. They're fine. Take them as they come.

They know themselves far better than anyone else.
    Really? So why do they need nonsense like this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12127280/Government-asks-schoolchildren-to-define-their-gender-and-gives-them-24-options-to-choose-from.html

Why is it a problem?
    Because it's a bizarre psychological experiment, based on who knows what, which deliberately tries to make children doubt their own identity. It's like giving them untested psychoactive drugs. Doing that to potentially vulnerable children, who might already be coming to terms with their developing sexuality, is completely irresponsible. It's also logical nonsense: the sex of a child is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of objective fact based on chromosomes (and externally rather obvious features).
    Well it asked about gender, not sex.

I also think it's a little hysterical to say that asking a single question about gender on a form is "like giving them untested psychoactive drugs". And I don't see why it's "deliberately trying" to make them doubt their identity any more than asking them what their sexual preferences are would be deliberately trying to make them doubt that.
    It's rather unlikely to be a single question on a form; presumably the school isn't doing this as some kind of elaborate practical joke (although I agree it sounds like one, so maybe I'm wrong on that).
    The Telegraph story suggests it's a single sheet of paper with 24 options...... 24...... including 'rather not say'. I only hope that they have to fill it in individually, without anyone else being involved. Otherwise I can see lots of crossings out and pencilling ins.
    And, TBH, I'm not at all sure what some of the terms mean! What's a demi-boy? Or girl?
    Traditional names for two sizes of cider flagon.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Lennon said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

It's going to happen again, isn't it? We're going to have "An act to refrain public bodies from promoting gender confusion" on the statute book...

FFS. There's nothing wrong with these kids. They're fine. Take them as they come.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12127280/Government-asks-schoolchildren-to-define-their-gender-and-gives-them-24-options-to-choose-from.html

Why is it a problem?
    Because it's a bizarre psychological experiment, based on who knows what, which deliberately tries to make children doubt their own identity. It's like giving them untested psychoactive drugs. Doing that to potentially vulnerable children, who might already be coming to terms with their developing sexuality, is completely irresponsible. It's also logical nonsense: the sex of a child is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of objective fact based on chromosomes (and externally rather obvious features).

I also think it's a little hysterical to say that asking a single question about gender on a form is "like giving them untested psychoactive drugs". And I don't see why it's "deliberately trying" to make them doubt their identity any more than asking them what their sexual preferences are would be deliberately trying to make them doubt that.
    It's rather unlikely to be a single question on a form; presumably the school isn't doing this as some kind of elaborate practical joke (although I agree it sounds like one, so maybe I'm wrong on that).
    In general for things like this you should just provide an empty box and ask people something like 'describe your gender'. That way you aren't 'prompting' them in any way, but neither are you restricting any potential options for answers.
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/182/660/58e.jpg
    Somerset Maugham said he preferred to travel on Italian cruise liners as there was none of that nonsense about women and children first.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

As an aside, I predict that giving puberty-blocking drugs to children who think that they're the wrong sex will generate a mass of litigation in 10-15 years time.

I fear that the deliberate attempts by some to promote gender-confusion amongst children and adolescents is a major mental-health timebomb. It amounts to child cruelty.

Why is it a problem?

What on earth is "Tri-gender" supposed to mean?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited February 2018

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

Brexit has triggered an assertive pro-European movement that is growing stronger all the time.

Then it can campaign to rejoin the EU after we have left. But it must not be allowed to frustrate a democratic referendum either by stopping Brexit or imposing Brexit in name only.

Brexit in name only* is still Brexit... we would still have left the EU, and therefore satisfied the referendum mandate :smile:

Brexit in name only means free movement continuing uncontrolled, ECJ jurisdiction over the UK and continued payments to Brussels, it would revive UKIP quicker than Lazarus which is why neither the Tories nor Corbyn will do it
    Fair point, so let's remember that definition when the soft Brexit this government ends up with is labelled BINO by JRM, Farage and their fellow europhobes.
    It won't be soft Brexit, if Chuka Umunna was PM it might be but that is unlikely for at least a decade, both May and Corbyn are committed to leaving the single market and ending free movement even if they want a FTA with the EU, Boris and especially JRM want as full a Brexit as possible
  • This fascist (and I mean the word literally) attempt to deduce the People's Will from a referendum vote is the latest extremely worrying development.

A reminder: the only two things that people now remember as arguments for Brexit were controlling immigration and more money for the NHS:

https://twitter.com/AndrewCooper__/status/961908728801976320
  • HYUFD said:

stevef said:

I think if Burnham (but not Smith or Cooper) had been leader there would have been no Brexit and he would be prime minister.

I also think someone like Thornberry would ensure a Labour victory next time. But Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott are the obstacles to victory. The young (18-25) are much less important electorally than some seem to think.They are outnumbered hugely by the over 55s. 25-45 are much more important.

The fact remains, Labour must win Tory marginals in Middle England in 2022, marginals which Labour failed to win in 2017. I do not believe that a 73 year old Marxist will win those marginals.

Ironically history shows that when there is economic uncertainty the Tories benefit, even when they are in power. People may not be willing to gamble on a Labour leadership which they have no confidence in economically at a time of economic uncertainty following Brexit.

As for Tory negative campigning about Labour and the economy, it didnt exist in 2017 -yet Labour is still behind. The Tories wont make that mistake next time and if you think voters wont listen you are in for a rude shock. I am a Labour supporter and I think Corbyn and McDonnell will crash the economy. If someone like me on the mainstream (non Blairite left thinks that, how do you think wavering voters in marginals will react?

Either Burnham or Cooper would have made remarkably insipid leaders.

Thornberry is a bit better, to be fair.
    Thornberry is Ed Miliband in a skirt
    I think she's better than that. She has a kind of lady-who-runs-the-village-post-office bonhomie. That could compete well against Boris's sloaney dishevelment. Against the guarded oddness of Rees-Mogg it might prove deadly.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

Brexit in name only means free movement continuing uncontrolled, ECJ jurisdiction over the UK and regulatory alignment, staying in the Customs Union with all FTAs agreed through the EU and continued payments to Brussels, it would revive UKIP quicker than Lazarus which is why neither the Tories nor Corbyn will do it
    I don't buy the UKIP as a slumbering titan mythology. The political landscape has radically changed now and the conditions that led UKIP to metastasize in the first place no longer exist. The resistance to the apostasy of BINO would be led by the criminally insane wing of the tories (JRM, etc) and the ever opportunistic Corbyn.
  • Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?

What on earth is "Tri-gender" supposed to mean?
    You're male, female and the type of gender that is neither of the two.

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

I think if Burnham (but not Smith or Cooper) had been leader there would have been no Brexit and he would be prime minister.

I also think someone like Thornberry would ensure a Labour victory next time. But Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott are the obstacles to victory. The young (18-25) are much less important electorally than some seem to think.They are outnumbered hugely by the over 55s. 25-45 are much more important.

The fact remains, Labour must win Tory marginals in Middle England in 2022, marginals which Labour failed to win in 2017. I do not believe that a 73 year old Marxist will win those marginals.

Ironically history shows that when there is economic uncertainty the Tories benefit, even when they are in power. People may not be willing to gamble on a Labour leadership which they have no confidence in economically at a time of economic uncertainty following Brexit.

As for Tory negative campigning about Labour and the economy, it didnt exist in 2017 -yet Labour is still behind. The Tories wont make that mistake next time and if you think voters wont listen you are in for a rude shock. I am a Labour supporter and I think Corbyn and McDonnell will crash the economy. If someone like me on the mainstream (non Blairite left thinks that, how do you think wavering voters in marginals will react?

Either Burnham or Cooper would have made remarkably insipid leaders.

Thornberry is a bit better, to be fair.
    Thornberry is Ed Miliband in a skirt
    I think she's better than that. She has a kind of lady-who-runs-the-village-post-office bonhomie. That could compete well against Boris's sloaney dishevelment. Against the guarded oddness of Rees-Mogg it might prove deadly.
    She is too metropolitan liberal to be the lady who rubs the post office
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?
    Do you have teenage kids, Richard ?

If you did, then likely you'd realise they are rather more aware, and considerably less bothered about any of this than are you. The likelihood of a questionnaire like this confusing teens as to their identity is somewhere between minimal and nil.

It's not a bizarre experiment; it is a simple, single questionnaire.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

It won't be soft Brexit, if Chuka Umunna was PM it might be but that is unlikely for at least a decade, both May and Corbyn are committed to leaving the single market and ending free movement even if they want a FTA with the EU, Boris and especially JRM want as full a Brexit as possible
    Can anyone think of a policy which came into being despite both Labour and Conservative being openly against it at the previous general election ?

Because that's what Soft or no Brexit is at..
    edited February 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

Brexit in name only means free movement continuing uncontrolled, ECJ jurisdiction over the UK and regulatory alignment, staying in the Customs Union with all FTAs agreed through the EU and continued payments to Brussels, it would revive UKIP quicker than Lazarus which is why neither the Tories nor Corbyn will do it
    I don't buy the UKIP as a slumbering titan mythology. The political landscape has radically changed now and the conditions that led UKIP to metastasize in the first place no longer exist. The resistance to the apostasy of BINO would be led by the criminally insane wing of the tories (JRM, etc) and the ever opportunistic Corbyn.
    The conditions which led to the rise of UKIP were free movement without transition controls and concerns over lost sovereignty, failing to resolve any of those issues by the Tories or Labour would leave them with the 'true' Brexit voters all to themselves, much as the SNP largely has a monopoly on pro independence voters in Scotland
  • This fascist (and I mean the word literally) attempt to deduce the People's Will from a referendum vote is the latest extremely worrying development.

A reminder: the only two things that people now remember as arguments for Brexit were controlling immigration and more money for the NHS:

Wow. 'New trading opportunities beyond the EU' is at 1%. That's a non-issue. The agenda of Dan Hannan and his followers is up there with Odin worship.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigel Farage isn't the man he was.
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/963389607885844480
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

Can anyone think of a policy which came into being despite both Labour and Conservative being openly against it at the previous general election ?

As long as the LDs remain on their back and Corbyn leads Labour it will not be soft Brexit
  • Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Inflation didn't move, I see.

Bit disappointing. Expected to edge down a bit. Puts off the day when wages catch up just a little longer. The real wages situation is another reason why the current Tory polling is so remarkable. Under normal circumstances a government that had delivered real wages like this one would either have been out on its ear or on borrowed time.
    Agreed. It's another reason why Freedom of Movement has to end; big business get an easy ride with the supply of low-wage, public subsidised labour, presently...
    Big business? Are not small businesses benefiting just as much?
    Depends what you call small businesses but I would suggest generally no. Big business clearly does and importantly so do public services. But my personal experience is there are a lot fewer migrants working in small businesses.

That said, personally I would prefer FoM to continue as a matter of principle. Nit that I expect mine to be a popular view.
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

As long as the LDs remain on their back and Corbyn leads Labour it will not be soft Brexit
    The only realistic pathway for soft or no Brexit is for Corbyn to be overthrown.

That would require a lot of spine implants for moderate Labour MPs.
    Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?

If you did, then likely you'd realise they are rather more aware, and considerably less bothered about any of this than are you. The likelihood of a questionnaire like this confusing teens as to their identity is somewhere between minimal and nil.

I do, and I am pretty certain they would regard the questionnaire as risible twattery; then again, I don't make the mistake of assuming that being their parent gives me irrefutable insight into their thought processes.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited February 2018
    Betting Post

Elise Christie has two more events left, the 1000 and 1500 where she is around 11-2 and 4-1 for the golds.

A better punt however might well be to take the 20-1 Hills are offering 1/4 odds, 3 places each way for SPOTY.

Anthony Joshua and Harry Kane look far too short in the betting, and going from tears to a gold (Or even perhaps just a medal) would surely set Elise up well for the competition.

Anyway I think 20-1 is good value right now, DYOR.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068
    Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?

One of Fox jr's flatmates was gender fluid, and would sometimes dress as male, and sometimes as female. It didn't really seem to touble anyone. UEA has unisex toiletstin the Union, which again didn't seem to bother people.
    edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

The only realistic pathway for soft or no Brexit is for Corbyn to be overthrown.

It would also provoke a civil war in the Labour Party and most likely Momentum inspired mass deselections of moderate Labour MPs. Unless the Tories win a majority at the next general election Corbyn and Corbynism are not going anywhere for the best part of the next decade which means the UK will not be in the single market for most of that period
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?

I do, and I am pretty certain they would regard the questionnaire as risible twattery....
    That is quite possible - but doubt their own identity ?

If inclined to use the term, I might describe that equally as risible twattery.
    Nigelb said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?

I do, and I am pretty certain they would regard the questionnaire as risible twattery....
    That is quite possible - but doubt their own identity ?

If inclined to use the term, I might describe that equally as risible twattery.
    What?
  • HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

It would also provoke a civil war in the Labour Party and most likely Momentum inspired mass deselections of moderate Labour MPs. Unless the Tories win a majority at the next general election Corbyn and Corbynism are not going anywhere for the best part of the next decade which means the UK will not be in the single market for most of that period
    I wish I was as certain of anything as you are of everything.
  • Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?

I think 'rather more aware' is an understatement. Gender fluidity is a massive topic in the lives of older teenagers. The world has definitely shifted massively in the last decade and with the exception of those from strict religious backgrounds I think you would be hard pressed to find many kids - certainly from the middle classes - for whom gay and transgender was not considered to be an absolute norm. As you say, I doubt many teenagers would even blink at this questionnaire.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068

This fascist (and I mean the word literally) attempt to deduce the People's Will from a referendum vote is the latest extremely worrying development.

So Customs Union would be fine by nearly everyone, as long as there is a decent wedge spent on the Nash.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

Elise Christie has two more events left, the 1000 and 1500 where she is around 11-2 and 4-1 for the golds.

A better punt however might well be to take the 20-1 Hills are offering 1/4 odds, 3 places each way for SPOTY.

Anthony Joshua and Harry Kane look far too short in the betting, and going from tears to a gold (Or even perhaps just a medal) would surely set Elise up well for the competition.

The Winter Olympians haven't done too well in SPOTY. Obviously it depends on what happens elsewhere, but Yarnold got 3.7% of vote in 2014 and Williams got 6.2% of the vote in 2010.
  • BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

Is Marine Le Pen still in with a chance?
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Foxy said:

This fascist (and I mean the word literally) attempt to deduce the People's Will from a referendum vote is the latest extremely worrying development.

So Customs Union would be fine by nearly everyone, as long as there is a decent wedge spent on the Nash.
    I think the fascism resides in the Remoaner desire to frustrate democracy.
  • Funny. It was only a few weeks ago that the Remainers on here were claiming the £100 billion was a myth and that May had got a terribly bad deal.
  • Foxy said:

There is not the slightest evidence that leaving the Customs Union is an inevitable element of Brexit in the minds of the general public, however much the extremists like to claim otherwise.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    stevef said:

Foxy said:

Gove was advocating the Customs Union in the campaign . If anyone is frustrating democracy it's the hard Brexiteers.

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

It is not very contentious, given the Labour membership have twice elected Corbyn by a landslide the only way he is likely to be removed and Labour move to a softer Brexit position is for Corbynism to be defeated at the ballot box
  • 148grss148grss Posts: 3,630
    Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?

I never understand the concern. If you think gender is biologically inherent, how can giving people options confuse them. If it isn't biologically inherent and is a social construct, then that construct can expand and change when society does, just like all other social norms do. If it's somewhere in between, similar. The only way the "could confuse" children argument could make sense is with a worldview that accepts gender is somewhat socially constructed. Then you just have to (radical suggestion coming) talk to your children.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?
    (and externally rather obvious features).

The Telegraph story suggests it's a single sheet of paper with 24 options...... 24...... including 'rather not say'. I only hope that they have to fill it in individually, without anyone else being involved. Otherwise I can see lots of crossings out and pencilling ins.
    And, TBH, I'm not at all sure what some of the terms mean! What's a demi-boy? Or girl?
    Traditional names for two sizes of cider flagon.
    I expect you're right. In the context of a gender/sex survey that makes as much sense as some of the other descriptions
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

It is not very contentious, given the Labour membership have twice elected Corbyn by a landslide the only way he is likely to be removed and Labour move to a softer Brexit position is for Corbynism to be defeated at the ballot box
    He might retire. He will be 72 by the time of the next election.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    stevef said:

Foxy said:

Daniel Hannan said that only "tendentious British pro-Europeans" claimed we wouldn't have a deal like Switzerland.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

As he states in most interviews he is fighting fit and has no intention of going anywhere plus of course the longer he stays the tighter grows Momentum's grip on the party membership, apparatus and the eventual succession
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Sean_F said:

Why is it a problem?

One of Fox jr's flatmates was gender fluid, and would sometimes dress as male, and sometimes as female. It didn't really seem to touble anyone. UEA has unisex toiletstin the Union, which again didn't seem to bother people.
    17 or 18 year olds is one thing, but this questionnaire has gone to 13 year olds as well. I've got to admit that it probably would have troubled me all those years ago.
  • TGOHF said:

ERM membership was supported by both main parties in the 1992 election yet we left a couple of months later. This might in some ways be a similar situation where the official policy of the government and opposition front bench obscures a large groundswell of differing opinion bubbling underneath. Depends also what is meant by "soft Brexit". There'll have to be some kind of change to FOM but the chance it'll be an empty and ineffective fudge must be quite high....would that be a soft or hard Brexit?

• HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

As he states in most interviews he is fighting fit and has no intention of going anywhere plus of course the longer he stays the tighter grows Momentum's grip on the party membership, apparatus and the eventual succession
    Like he's going to say that he's feeling his age and he might hang his boots up in 18 months' time.

Will he retire? Maybe not. But it's a live question to be considered in relation to any septuagenarian, especially one currently in line for an extremely demanding job.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

ld revive UKIP quicker than Lazarus which is why neither the Tories nor Corbyn will do it
    It won't be soft Brexit, if Chuka Umunna wall a Brexit as possible

WHAT IF.....

Those who elected him WOULD ALSO be happy with a softer Brexit?

Put that in your certain-o-graph and let's see the results.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I gather the first Labour response to the Oxfam scandal is to blame the Charity Commission and the Government rather than the abusers. I wonder why. Not!
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2018

There is not the slightest evidence that leaving the Customs Union is an inevitable element of Brexit in the minds of the general public, however much the extremists like to claim otherwise.

I think this is right, or at least that an arrangement whereby we left the Single Market (and therefore were not subject to FoM) but entered into a customs union would respect the letter and spirit of the referendum result, whilst minimising the economic damage to ordinary people. As I've posted previously, IMO opponents of Theresa May's proposals should have concentrated on this possible option, which I think she was too quick to rule out. However, I think they've blown it, because opposition to her proposals has been all over the place.

Whether the EU would be happy with such a deal, and if so on what terms, is another matter, of course.
    HHemmelig said:

TGOHF said:

ERM membership was supported by both main parties in the 1992 election yet we left a couple of months later. This might in some ways be a similar situation where the official policy of the government and opposition front bench obscures a large groundswell of differing opinion bubbling underneath. Depends also what is meant by "soft Brexit". There'll have to be some kind of change to FOM but the chance it'll be an empty and ineffective fudge must be quite high....would that be a soft or hard Brexit?

Heh - good spot.

Of course ERM was a European straightjacket which wasn't working for the Uk and was easy to ditch.

Meanwhile

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/02/13/punishing-uk-brexit-talks-would-backfire-eu-france-admits/

"Benjamin Griveaux told the Telegraph there was "no question of punishing anyone with regards to Brexit," when asked about the controversial "punishment clause" in draft guidelines for the transition period.

"We must never humiliate and never punish. That'd the worst thing that could happen and I think it would reinforce the anti-European sentiment in many countries where we have elections coming up in a year," Mr Griveaux said."

edited February 2018
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

ld revive UKIP quicker than Lazarus which is why neither the Tories nor Corbyn will do it

It would also provoke a civil war in the Labour Party and most at period
    WHAT IF.....

Corbyn knows the only way he becomes PM is if he gains enough Leave voting Tory marginals and holds Labour working class Leave seats, getting huge majorities in Remain voting inner city and university seats will not get him to Number 10
    edited February 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

Like he's going to say that he's feeling his age and he might hang his boots up in 18 months' time.

Will he retire? Maybe not. But it's a live question to be considered in relation to any septuagenarian, especially one currently in line for an extremely demanding job.
    The President of the United States is currently a septuagenerian, our Head of State is over 90 years of age
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    148grss said:

I never understand the concern. If you think gender is biologically inherent, how can giving people options confuse them. If it isn't biologically inherent and is a social construct, then that construct can expand and change when society does, just like all other social norms do. If it's somewhere in between, similar. The only way the "could confuse" children argument could make sense is with a worldview that accepts gender is somewhat socially constructed. Then you just have to (radical suggestion coming) talk to your children.

There is also the fact (and it is a fact) that some people are biologically intersex to some degree or another- perhaps between 0.5% and 2% of the general population, though research is sparse. Physical gender is not just 'male' and 'female', and attempts to pigeonhole intersex children into gender roles has caused real harm in the past, including some fairly nasty forced operations.

Leaving that aside, some people, not intersex, think they are of the other gender. I've known a few, including one from school right up and through his change. It wasn't a fad; it wasn't a confusion: he *knew* he was female in a male body. The abuse he got for this was terrible, and he wasn't particularly overt about it.

If a child is confused or upset by such a questionnaire, the issue is probably with them, rather than the questionnaire.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

Good Call on SPOTY.

Surely she will medal in the 1500.

A gold would make 20/1 very generous.
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

The Winter Olympians haven't done too well in SPOTY. Obviously it depends on what happens elsewhere, but Yarnold got 3.7% of vote in 2014 and Williams got 6.2% of the vote in 2010.
    Elise Christie potentially has a better 'story' than Yarnold with the whole crash to crash to gold (Hopefully !) thing going on though. SPOTY loves a good story ;)
  • HYUFD said:

I'm starting to wonder if HYUFD is my 5 year old posting in disguise....the evidence is mounting
  • Jonathan said:

stevef said:

Foxy said:

Gove was advocating the Customs Union in the campaign . If anyone is frustrating democracy it's the hard Brexiteers.
    Can you give us a citation for that please? I can find no evidence of it at all.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stevef said:

TGOHF said:

WHAT IF.....

Corbyn knows the only way he becomes PM is if he gains enough Leave voting Tory marginals and holds Labour working class Leave seats, getting huge majorities in Remain voting inner city and university seats will not get him to Number 10
    Jezza gaining Leave voting Tory marginals??

What were we saying about psychoactive drugs?
    Corbyn in 2017 winning about the same number of seats as Gordon Brown in 2010 has granted an extension to his deluded supporters who right up to the next general election night will be able to convince themselves that their hapless Messiah is en route to power and historical immortality.

In reality, there is nothing ahead but disapointment for the Corbynistas. Their man is old and aging fast and although he was able to escape the meltdown he deserved in 2017 he cannot escape Old Father Time and the ravages he brings with him. The inevitable atrophy of his own body will bring him down if nothing else does.

If that alone were the problem things would be rescuable. Corbytrons could just find a younger version of the Messiah to sing their mindless songs about.

Alas they are heading for more disappointment.
  • TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

And in any case Jezza has already won multiple "Leave voting Tory marginals"....Bury North, Warrington South, Canterbury, Peterborough, Keighley for example and there are a fair few more.

• RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

WHAT IF.....

But the Conservative and Labour Party aren't the same thing with different coloured rosettes. The Labour Party has an active democratic party conference. It is entirely possible for the leadership not to get its way on the conference floor and on Brexit it probably wouldn't. For the last couple of years members have chosen not to bring the issue up. I imagine they'll do the same this year. But at some point it will be voted through, voted on and there is every chance the Labour Party could end up as the anti-Brexit party regardless of what Corbyn wants or thinks wise. And the left of the party have always made a big deal of party democracy. He would not be able to fudge his way out.

Okay so maybe that would lose Labour a chunk of its working class support. I don't know. But neither does anyone else. If it doesn't we could have the first general election after leaving fought with one of the two main parties committed to rejoining.

stevef said:

Corbyn in 2017 winning about the same number of seats as Gordon Brown in 2010 has granted an extension to his deluded supporters who right up to the next general election night will be able to convince themselves that their hapless Messiah is en route to power and historical immortality.

In reality, there is nothing ahead but disapointment for the Corbynistas. Their man is old and aging fast and although he was able to escape the meltdown he deserved in 2017 he cannot escape Old Father Time and the ravages he brings with him. The inevitable atrophy of his own body will bring him down if nothing else does.

If that alone were the problem things would be rescuable. Corbytrons could just find a younger version of the Messiah to sing their mindless songs about.

You continue to underestimate him.

How many times so far.
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

@HYUFD is correct, almost all the top Labour Tory targets voted to leave the EU:

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/labour

stevef said:

How many times so far.
    If I had underestimated him he would be prime minister.

But he isnt is he?
  • Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

Elise Christie potentially has a better 'story' than Yarnold with the whole crash to crash to gold (Hopefully !) thing going on though. SPOTY loves a good story ;)
    I'd gently note that England are about 11/4 to make the World Cup semi-final, which would probably be enough for a football winner - QF (around 5/6) would be a maybe and final (8/1) would be almost definite. 20/1 sounds ok but it will be a very faded memory by December, not helped by the time-of-day that she is winning the medal at. Contrast the curlers who loads of people still remember.
    Just consider how very very very bad you have to be as a Labour leader for even someone as inept as Theresa May running the worst Tory campaign of all time to beat him and his party into its third successive general election defeat.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

I'd gently note that England are about 11/4 to make the World Cup semi-final, which would probably be enough for a football winner - QF (around 5/6) would be a maybe and final (8/1) would be almost definite. 20/1 sounds ok but it will be a very faded memory by December, not helped by the time-of-day that she is winning the medal at. Contrast the curlers who loads of people still remember.
    And the curlers still didn't get Team of the Year (Europe's Ryder Cup winning team won it).
    stevef said:

stevef said:

How many times so far.
    If I had underestimated him he would be prime minister.

But he isnt is he?
    You dont even admit to underestimating him in 2 leadership campaigns and a GE.

I am sorry but there is no way you expected him to win in 2015 see off a chicken coup in 2016 and avoid wipeout (let alone gain seats) in 2017

Have you a denial problem?

Perhaps you will tell us how you voted in GE 2017 now (decides not to hold breath)
    stevef said:

Just consider how very very very bad you have to be as a Labour leader for even someone as inept as Theresa May running the worst Tory campaign of all time to beat him and his party into its third successive general election defeat.

838/838

Would be much easier just to post

JCWNBPM

If only there were an ignore button.

stevef said:

838/838

Would be much easier just to post

JCWNBPM

If only there were an ignore button.
    There is an ignore button. Its in your head. Use it.

Ooops I just advised a Corbynista to use his head.
    HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

I'm starting to wonder if HYUFD is my 5 year old posting in disguise....the evidence is mounting
    SteveF's classmate
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

And the curlers still didn't get Team of the Year (Europe's Ryder Cup winning team won it).
    Has anyone from the Winter Olympics won SPOTY since Torvill and Dean?

HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

SteveF's classmate
    When I was at school and learning about politics, you did a lap of honour after you had won an election, not just after you had lost one.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    There be a new thread over that a'way ----->
    HHemmelig said:

HYUFD said:

Your 5 year old is obviously brighter than you are
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

You dont even admit to underestimating him in 2 leadership campaigns and a GE.

I am sorry but there is no way you expected him to win in 2015 see off a chicken coup in 2016 and avoid wipeout (let alone gain seats) in 2017

Have you a denial problem?

Perhaps you will tell us how you voted in GE 2017 now (decides not to hold breath)

Wait, I know this one!

and I've been a Labour supporter for 40 years...

Corbyn fans are in for a real shock in 2022...

Old people queuing around the block....

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

148grss said:

There is also the fact (and it is a fact) that some people are biologically intersex to some degree or another- perhaps between 0.5% and 2% of the general population, though research is sparse. Physical gender is not just 'male' and 'female', and attempts to pigeonhole intersex children into gender roles has caused real harm in the past, including some fairly nasty forced operations.

Leaving that aside, some people, not intersex, think they are of the other gender. I've known a few, including one from school right up and through his change. It wasn't a fad; it wasn't a confusion: he *knew* he was female in a male body. The abuse he got for this was terrible, and he wasn't particularly overt about it.

If a child is confused or upset by such a questionnaire, the issue is probably with them, rather than the questionnaire.
    Does not change the fact that you only get men or women, no matter how many fancy names you make up for it two genders is your lot.
This discussion has been closed.