Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amber Rudd now clear third favourite in the CON leader bettig

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,718
    edited February 2018

History/videogames: I know some other PBers are into games, so thought I'd post this. It's a blog about the realism of Kingdom Come Deliverance, and whether it's immersive or annoying: http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/kingdom-come-deliverance-early-thoughts.html

I've been playing it for the last few hours - it's definitely a game that won't be for everyone and its on a very slow boil, but my initial impression is if it lives up to its promise it could be very good indeed, even though I am not normally a fan of particularly 'realistic' games or mods in things like Fallout. Of course, it may end up that its story and mechanics do not live up to the grand intent behind it, but I'm about 5 hours in and though it is like it has barely begun, I am intrigued and the potential for roleplaying a certain type of character is interesting.

Like playing a religious zealot in Dragon Age Inquisition.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fewer than one in twelve Conservatives support Rudd for next leader, would be a more appropriate headline.

All about perspective I guess.
  • Options

Astonishing to think that this lot brought down a prime minister, ripped asunder decades of British economic and foreign policy and had the Tories cowering in their shadow. How?
    They didn't - an element of what they cared about was also cared about by enough of the wider public, that's what happened, UKIP didn't create it.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

I don't think Farage has much interest in the UK anymore. Post-Brexit he can get more attention and more cash on Fox in America than he can involved in a poxy British minor party.

He was on question time (again) this week
    Coming week, I think. Ken Clarke too.
    https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/964765681920159744
    Is he serious about the stuff he spouts?! There really are loonies all over
    His level of delusion does seem to be coming close to requiring a medical intervention.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    Foxy said:

Barnesian said:

stevef said:

UKIP is finished and was never a viable political party in its own right: it was always nothing but Nigel Farage's followers.

The danger now is that Farage will start a new party of the radical and populist right -which he has threatened to do. Bolton's removal may well be the trigger for that. It is th duty of every democrat to make sure that a new Farage party fails. Such a party would get a huge boost if Remoaners put wind into its sails with their attacks on older voters and with their incessant plots to frustrate the referendum result.

Politics is already in its worst state since the Second World War with one of the worst governments and most appalling oppositions in British history without a bitter rump of the Remain cause driving frustrated working class people into the arms of the poisonous right.

It would be great if Farage started a new party of the radical and populist right, particularly if "Remainers put wind into its sails with attacks on older voters". It would siphon off Tory votes and help Corbyn get into power and transform the political landscape.
    Sounds a good plan to me!
    You sound like quite a traitorous lib dem... ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    stevef said:

HYUFD said:

Odd to watch so many Tories capering with glee at UKIP’s misfortunes, even as they implement UKIP’s 2015 manifesto.

That would also require the Treasury to have eliminated the deficit by the end of this year, scrapping of hospital car parking charges, private health insurance requirement for foreign migrants and 5 year wait for benefits, scrapping of the 'bedroom tax', £3 billion a year for the NHS by 2020, inheritance tax scrapped, allowing secondary schools to become grammars, no fees for students studying STEM subjects, reduction in the TV license fee, an end to sex education for primary school children, an end to the continuous at sea nuclear deterrent, integration of defence and security spending, repeal of the Climate Change Act 2008 and the scrapping of HS2 and cutting Overseas Aid budget by £9 billion a year.

Though the Tories have implemented UKIP 2015 policies such as departure from the EU, removing EU directives which harm the UK economy, aiming for a bespoke trade agreement with the EU, setting an immigration target of under 100,000 a year (though not quite the 5 year ban on unskilled immigration and points system UKIP wanted), an increased personal allowance, reduction in the cap on benefits, restricted child benefit to two children and protection of most of the Green Belt,
    www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11536535/manifesto-2015-summary.html
    I thought they were implementing the People's Will in the referendum. Of course you dont think that whether the UK is an independent country or part of a European superstate is any of the People's business.................................
    The people made their decision at the referendum yes and the Tories are implementing it
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

stevef said:

UKIP is finished and was never a viable political party in its own right: it was always nothing but Nigel Farage's followers.

The danger now is that Farage will start a new party of the radical and populist right -which he has threatened to do. Bolton's removal may well be the trigger for that. It is th duty of every democrat to make sure that a new Farage party fails. Such a party would get a huge boost if Remoaners put wind into its sails with their attacks on older voters and with their incessant plots to frustrate the referendum result.

Politics is already in its worst state since the Second World War with one of the worst governments and most appalling oppositions in British history without a bitter rump of the Remain cause driving frustrated working class people into the arms of the poisonous right.

It would be great if Farage started a new party of the radical and populist right, particularly if "Remainers put wind into its sails with attacks on older voters". It would siphon off Tory votes and help Corbyn get into power and transform the political landscape.
    As Ed Miliband discovered a populist party can take Labour votes as well as Tory ones
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, ha, I remember Cueto's try being disallowed.

Also, the Welsh decision would've merely decreased the scale of their defeat.

Had that try been awarded with the conversion Wales would have won the match.
    No they wouldn't because Wales wouldn't have gone back for the penalty they took after the try was disallowed.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited February 2018
    VAR has been a big success in Germany and apparently next season they are planning to extend it to their 2nd Division.

In all other sports where it's used it's been a success, so I can't see why it shouldn't be a success in football.

I get the impression some people don't want it to succeed.
  • Options
    Miss JGP, bit frazzled. Been sleeping very badly recently. But otherwise ok.

Mr. kle4, I agree. It's very Marmite. I do think an exit save needs to be implemented, though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

There are other advantages to school meals for all at Primary School: Social inclusion of all pupils, and creating a common dining culture of eating collectively at a table. This is increasingly rare in many households. A second good reason is to establish good dietary habits in terms of variety and nutrition. Both are worthwhile bits of social engineering standard at most private schools.

If you think 'eating at table' improves dietary habits, then you never experienced the queues at our tuck shop. ;)

Schools cannot 'fix' such social problems, only paper over the effects. It is a parenting issue, either through lack of money or lack of care. In fact, removing the responsibility for failing parents to feed their children harms the situation, not improves it.

On the other hand, good parents will lose precious parenting time with their children if the children eat at school ...
    Sure, pupils are quite adept at scoffing sweets in place of healthy meals, but they should at least be exposed to a healthy diet for one meal a day. Britain's dietary habits are pretty appalling and storing up a lot of future health issues.
    And the majority of pupils will already be exposed to at least one healthy meal a day. In fact, for many, the meals they get at home will be more nutritious than the bulk food they get served at school.

Besides, I see the problem not as being just about meals, but about exercise. he two go hand-in-hand, and the money might better be spent on that (and competitive sports are just one aspect of exercise).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,209
    MikeL said:

VAR has been a big success in Germany and apparently next season they are planning to extend it to their 2nd Division.

In all other sports where it's used it's been a success, so I can't see why it shouldn't be a success in football.

It is very unfortunate that most of them seem to have made the review panel.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, I agree. It's very Marmite. I do think an exit save needs to be implemented, though.

Yes, in this day and age restricting saving like that is just annoying - apparently mods are already out to permit it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the developers patch it in (possibly as an option, so they can save face from what was clearly their intended method still being there).
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

I don't think Farage has much interest in the UK anymore. Post-Brexit he can get more attention and more cash on Fox in America than he can involved in a poxy British minor party.

His level of delusion does seem to be coming close to requiring a medical intervention.
    You do begin to wonder if his ambitions for a radical new centrist party are every bit as delusional.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Agreed. It's too slow, there's been some errors, but it works well in other places, even in football, so anyone saying it cannot work is demonstrably wrong, and would better argue the point about simply not wanting it for other reasons.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

You do begin to wonder if his ambitions for a radical new centrist party are every bit as delusional.
    I'm still stuck on what a 'radical centrist' would be.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    kle4 said:

History/videogames: I know some other PBers are into games, so thought I'd post this. It's a blog about the realism of Kingdom Come Deliverance, and whether it's immersive or annoying: http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/kingdom-come-deliverance-early-thoughts.html

I've been playing it for the last few hours - it's definitely a game that won't be for everyone and its on a very slow boil, but my initial impression is if it lives up to its promise it could be very good indeed, even though I am not normally a fan of particularly 'realistic' games or mods in things like Fallout. Of course, it may end up that its story and mechanics do not live up to the grand intent behind it, but I'm about 5 hours in and though it is like it has barely begin, I am intrigued.
    Interesting, thanks both. On the strategy side, I've been trying the new release for Civilisation 6, which introduces quite a few new features, including city loyalty (which decays rapidly if your city is surrounded by enemies and/or recently occupied) and city governors (which help slow or reverse the decay and do lots of other things). There are tasks for each era which determine whether your next age will be Golden, Normal or Dark - these feel a touch gamey but enable you to bounce back from a bad period and hold you back if you're doing too well. I think it may need some tweaks but it's interesting.

Also looking closely at the Stellaris expansion coming next week - this simplifies the game in some ways by forcing ships onto the starlanes so you can create defensive choke points without having the enemy nip round you. Also has some Very Large Ships with all the firepower you could possibly want.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, in this day and age restricting saving like that is just annoying - apparently mods are already out to permit it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the developers patch it in (possibly as an option, so they can save face from what was clearly their intended method still being there).
    They ought to make you have to find an empty 5.25 inch floppy disc and insert it, before swapping it out for the game disc twice during the save. That way we'll really be back circa 1985 ...
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, yep, Mr. M pointed out to me on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/GMontegriffo/status/964924223318904832

However, the developer commitment to realism has mostly come off well. Everything feels weightier because the combat's unforgiving and actions feel like they have consequences. This is quite the review:
    https://twitter.com/LotRLore/status/963554830403878915
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pedantry fascist, I know, but maybe leads should be checked by other eyes before publication - there's a "not" too many in para 1, a "more popular" or similar missing in para 2, a "peobably", and sentence 1 of para 2 is a bit askew too. I write too quickly all the time so I recognise the problem...

I once received a communique from the DFE at a conference I was attending. It was riddled with errors and I spent so long correcting them I actually forgot to read the content.

I then proceeded to very publicly criticise the person who wrote it, characterising them as lazy and disinterested.

I learned a valuable lesson from the conference chair's reply: 'I wrote this myself, actually.'

(Mind you, what I said was still true.)
    lol!

One thing that is still almost true is that civil service briefings are faultless - I remember spoting the odd slip now and then but by and large they are perfect in grammatical terms (the content is another matter, sometimes).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    MikeL said:

I don't watch much Bundesliga - mainly because it's a one horse race. I do watch Serie A and it has not been a success there.

The problem as I see it is that they contradict themselves. The Smalling handball tonight was blatant. It's a penalty, simple as that. And then we get Graham Poll telling us that it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake.

We then get the offside. I'm not convinced it was offside, but if it was, it was fractional and no way should the linesman be expected to see it. Even Graham Poll seemed to say that we shouldn't be overturning such decisions.
  • Options
    Farage will surely do something, and it's interesting to speculate what. I can't see him wanting to go down with the ship, but will he want to bother to set up a new party? It's tempting as there's almost bound to be a dissatisfied ultra-Brexiteer segment of the population, and potentially some MPs.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/GMontegriffo/status/964924223318904832

However, the developer commitment to realism has mostly come off well. Everything feels weightier because the combat's unforgiving and actions feel like they have consequences. This is quite the review:

Ha! It's walking a tight line. I do like that your character will go "I need to [insert generic heroic thing here]" and all the others basically go 'That's great, but you don't know what the hell you're doing and will just get killed'. And they're mostly right.

As I've aged I'm less forgiving of games which are praised purely for being hard - I may waste too much of my time, but it is a lot less plentiful than when I was in my teens and 20s, I got shit to do - but for the sake of immersion I can accept a lot.

The new game from the FTL creators is out soon though, that might be interesting even though it is a very different concept.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

kle4 said:

They ought to make you have to find an empty 5.25 inch floppy disc and insert it, before swapping it out for the game disc twice during the save. That way we'll really be back circa 1985 ...
    Ah, I have heard tales of the dark times of legend. Frankly the medieval times of passwords and 12 slot memory cards was bad enough.

Politics may have regressed, but thank goodness game saves haven't.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, I went off to try and learn to read. On my first attempt, I encountered a well-equipped highwayman who killed me. Second attempt, the hills got in the way and I ended up wandering in the opposite direction, but I did find Sasau.

On difficulty, I think it depends. Some things like The Last Of Us, and probably KCD, do it well enough. And XCOM too. But when games just make enemies into bullet sponges or make tasks annoyingly finickity/time-consuming, it puts me right off.

Anyway, time for me to be off.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

stevef said:

As Ed Miliband discovered a populist party can take Labour votes as well as Tory ones
    Labour almost certainly lost power in 2010 because it lost support to UKIP. UKIP had a lot of working class support and it would be a Corbynista fool of the highest order who thought that a new UKIP type party would help Corbyn get into power. The only way he will ever transform the political landscape is by destroying the Labour Party.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

ttps://twitter.com/GMontegriffo/status/964924223318904832

Fascinating that his first approach to the task set was to break into his house. Does the game world not cover ordinary things like, you know, asking politely?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ah, I have heard tales of the dark times of legend. Frankly the medieval times of passwords and 12 slot memory cards was bad enough.

Politics may have regressed, but thank goodness game saves haven't.
    One (I think Interdictor) has a password-based code, based on the manual (which rapidly got photocopied).

What is the fifth word of the ninth line on page 34 of the manual?

After a few months, someone somewhere discovered that entering the following always worked:

Arrrghhhh!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    AnneJGP said:

ttps://twitter.com/GMontegriffo/status/964924223318904832

Fascinating that his first approach to the task set was to break into his house. Does the game world not cover ordinary things like, you know, asking politely?
    Yes, but he's an arse. I assumed the failure to convince him with words was preset in order to learn about the fistfighting engine, since asking him politely just had him attack me! But then in this game even going where you are not supposed to be causes issues - most old school RPGs people think nothing of you wondering in to their bedrooms and looting their possessions. Look, you're a hero and you need it more, ok?

(As I recall Final Fantasy X actually had the heroes call out the opposite though, where a merchant charged them money as they were about to fight a flying godzilla to save the world, noting he'd die too if they failed. He just says he's confident in their success. So pay up)
  • Options
    stevef said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

stevef said:

Labour almost certainly lost power in 2010 because it lost support to UKIP. UKIP had a lot of working class support and it would be a Corbynista fool of the highest order who thought that a new UKIP type party would help Corbyn get into power. The only way he will ever transform the political landscape is by destroying the Labour Party.
    UKIP may have done some damage to Brown in 2010 but it did even more damage in 2015 to Ed Miliband when it cost Labour seats like Vale of Clwyd Corbyn won back after the collapse of UKIP in 2017
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    The next world order is going to be interesting for globalist liberals, the next hegemony doesn't care about offending people or identity politics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/world/asia/china-africa-blackface-lunar-new-year.html
  • Options
    The vice chancellor of the University of Zimbabwe has been arrested in connection with an investigation into the awarding of a doctorate to former first lady Grace Mugabe.

Levi Nyagura was detained by the country's anti-corruption agency, to be charged with abuse of office.

Seems a bit harsh when the authorities would probably have beaten her senseless a few months ago if she hadn't done it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43099361
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited February 2018

The next world order is going to be interesting for globalist liberals, the next hegemony doesn't care about offending people or identity politics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/world/asia/china-africa-blackface-lunar-new-year.html

The 'Black and White Minstrel Show' went off the air 40 years ago this year (interestingly enough 5 months before Deng Xiaoping started China's reformed). Let's see what China is doing 40 years from now - especially after they realise there's more money to be made from Africa by not making them feel humiliated.
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

The 'Black and White Minstrel Show' went off the air 40 years ago this year (interestingly enough 5 months before Deng Xiaoping started China's reformed). Let's see what China is doing 40 years from now - especially after they realise there's more money to be made from Africa by not making them feel humiliated.
    According to the article there wasn't a murmur of complaint from African heads of state, because they like Chinese money too much. In 40 years time China will own or have enforceable rights on anything worth having in Africa, they are well on the way now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The vice chancellor of the University of Zimbabwe has been arrested in connection with an investigation into the awarding of a doctorate to former first lady Grace Mugabe.

Levi Nyagura was detained by the country's anti-corruption agency, to be charged with abuse of office.

Seems a bit harsh when the authorities would probably have beaten her senseless a few months ago if she hadn't done it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43099361

Good to see Zimbabwe giving priority to upholding academic standards - unlike ............

insert country/university
  • Options
    If we only made political common cause with people we completely agree with, each party would be a person in a room sitting by themselves.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

There's this chap T. Blair who you might like to meet.
  • Options

kle4 said:

There's this chap T. Blair who you might like to meet.
    The Tory former PM? :)
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

kle4 said:

I've been playing it for the last few hours - it's definitely a game that won't be for everyone and its on a very slow boil, but my initial impression is if it lives up to its promise it could be very good indeed, even though I am not normally a fan of particularly 'realistic' games or mods in things like Fallout. Of course, it may end up that its story and mechanics do not live up to the grand intent behind it, but I'm about 5 hours in and though it is like it has barely begin, I am intrigued.
    Interesting, thanks both. On the strategy side, I've been trying the new release for Civilisation 6, which introduces quite a few new features, including city loyalty (which decays rapidly if your city is surrounded by enemies and/or recently occupied) and city governors (which help slow or reverse the decay and do lots of other things). There are tasks for each era which determine whether your next age will be Golden, Normal or Dark - these feel a touch gamey but enable you to bounce back from a bad period and hold you back if you're doing too well. I think it may need some tweaks but it's interesting.

Also looking closely at the Stellaris expansion coming next week - this simplifies the game in some ways by forcing ships onto the starlanes so you can create defensive choke points without having the enemy nip round you. Also has some Very Large Ships with all the firepower you could possibly want.
    Thanks for the Civ 6 info. I’m not sure I can cope with any more complexity - more is not always better.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

If we only made political common cause with people we completely agree with, each party would be a person in a room sitting by themselves.
    The ideas are one thing, but political parties have cultures as well. I don't think an influx from UKIP will improve the Conservative Party's culture much.
  • Options
    By the way, for all of those political experts out there and on this board: watch this and laugh:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zT0Rjc6jKCg
  • Options
    DavidL said:

By the way, for all of those political experts out there and on this board: watch this and laugh:

The Obama one must sting the most.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stevef said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

stevef said:

UKIP may have done some damage to Brown in 2010 but it did even more damage in 2015 to Ed Miliband when it cost Labour seats like Vale of Clwyd Corbyn won back after the collapse of UKIP in 2017
    So a new populist right wing party could damage Labour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Bet the blond feels pretty smug. Hope she got some money on.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

That's Ann Coulter isn't it? She was on the BBC News Channel this week
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

The LibDems main aim must be to simply stay in the game, until fortunes turn again.
    How about state pensions for well off people? Or pension tax credits for wealthy people.
    Pension contributions are capped. State pensions are s return on NICs
    Aren't entitlement to free school meals capped?
    Don't the parents of "well -off" children who get free school meals pay tax?
    https://www.libdems.org.uk/free_school_meals_for_all_infants

Lib Dem policy gave free school meals to all infants.

We are arguing a narrow point but quite important: not that the policy is beneficial but whether all infants should get it free.

In my view tax funding is limited and should be applied as effectively as possible. Clegg’s argument “relieving pressure on budgets” implies that he knows how to spend family money better than they do which is an ideological approach to government not a pragmatic one in my view
    Charles said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Fewer than one in twelve Conservatives support Rudd for next leader, would be a more appropriate headline.

Fewer than one in five Conservatives support ANYONE for leader. That figures.
    Replied FPT on FSM but can’t shift answers on my phone
    I've picked up the previous thread - I hope.

You say "In my view tax funding is limited and should be applied as effectively as possible. Clegg’s argument “relieving pressure on budgets” implies that he knows how to spend family money better than they do which is an ideological approach to government not a pragmatic one in my view"

What is "family money"? The tax payer is not necessarily the same as the tax receiver. If tax funding is limited how do you justify state pensions for the wealthy? I think the answer is a pragmatic one - just as it is for free school meals.
    In this case it’s people who wouldn’t qualify on the basis of need. So mo eg is being taken off them in tax in order to be given back to them in the form of meals.

Implicitly the government is saying (a) you don’t know how to look after your kids and (b) we have right to tell you how to allocate your resources (less an administration cost)
  • Options

I see Labour are having a good day too...

https://twitter.com/JWoodcockMP/status/964868329705009152

What a mess British politics is in. Didn't a comedian write a book a few years ago called 'who the fuck do I vote for now?' or something similar?
    what are the odds he will?

https://twitter.com/angelasmithmp/status/964891677902229504
  • Options

What a mess British politics is in. Didn't a comedian write a book a few years ago called 'who the fuck do I vote for now?' or something similar?

Corbyn condemns all forms of bullying, there are very fine people on both sides.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I saw her on Newsnight a little while back. Thank God we don't have right wingers as insane and rabid as that in this country.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Rudd is probably the likeliest candidate of the Tory Remain faction to get to the final two against Boris or JRM

Rudd would be May mk2. She is not the answer. Someone needs to have a word in her shell-like. Amber will not progress to green.
    I think the Tories will likely pick a Leaver to succeed May but of the senior Tories in the Cabinet who backed Remain and have not yet fully converted to Leave eg Hammond, Rudd, Clark, she is probably the best
    Dominic Raab, Rory Stewart or Johnny Mercer seem like the best choices.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I recognised the face but couldn't put a name to it.
  • Options

By all accounts, the Chinese don't understand what all the fuss is about.

It is quite common to point at anybody who doesn't look Chinese and call them names in public, even if they know you speak the language. And especially if you are fat and a Laowai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNNFccVgdiU
  • Options
    Elliot said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Rudd is probably the likeliest candidate of the Tory Remain faction to get to the final two against Boris or JRM

Rudd would be May mk2. She is not the answer. Someone needs to have a word in her shell-like. Amber will not progress to green.
    I think the Tories will likely pick a Leaver to succeed May but of the senior Tories in the Cabinet who backed Remain and have not yet fully converted to Leave eg Hammond, Rudd, Clark, she is probably the best
    Dominic Raab, Rory Stewart or Johnny Mercer seem like the best choices.
    I think Dominic Raab eventually will become prime minister
  • Options

Corbyn condemns all forms of bullying, there are very fine people on both sides.
    Stalin once said that he condemned all kinds of killing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Wong sambo
  • Options

Rhubarb said:

According to the article there wasn't a murmur of complaint from African heads of state, because they like Chinese money too much. In 40 years time China will own or have enforceable rights on anything worth having in Africa, they are well on the way now.
    Treating people with respect (gone mad) has never been about foreign relations, but about maintaining peaceful civil relations at home. At the moment the Chinese deal with unhappy minorities with a lot of expensive repression and brutality.

The democratic case has always partly been that it's better - cheaper and more stable - to govern with consent and respect, rather than repression and brutality, as well as being morally superior.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out in relation to China, though i'm a bit nervous about my side of the argument at the moment.
  • Options

It is quite common to point at anybody who doesn't look Chinese and call them names in public, even if they know you speak the language. And especially if you are fat and a Laowai.

ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNNFccVgdiU
    Oh yes absolutely. Most of Asia is like that to some extent. I am regularly referred to as 'foreigner' or 'white guy' or 'westerner' both in English and local dialects. Do I care, hello no. Prices are higher for 'foreigner' as well which takes a little planning to get around.

Might as well get used to it. Asia is going to win the next innings.

• Options
    stevef said:

Well each killing was an opportunity lost for him, wasn't it?
  • Options

Oh yes absolutely. Most of Asia is like that to some extent. I am regularly referred to as 'foreigner' or 'white guy' or 'westerner' both in English and local dialects. Do I care, hello no. Prices are higher for 'foreigner' as well which takes a little planning to get around.

My understanding is there are also things called "White Monkey Jobs" that foreigners to do in China.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Or more particularly Far Eastern Asia
  • Options

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't see her getting 43% of the vote in a GE.
    Can you see her doing a Dave and winning a majority on a lower share of the vote?
    No!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2018
    Very off-topic;

Interesting ft alphachat podcast on the North Korean economy:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/ft-alphachat/id448302257?mt=2
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

We all thought on election night at how bad Hilary must have felt at losing to Trump - but it was a pretty big personal disaster for Obama too. Not only do all those jokes now ring very hollow and must have him wincing every time he hears them, but Trump is damaging his programmes of social reform even if he hasn't yet quite dismantled them.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941
    @viewcode - thanks for reminding me how good margin call is; rewatching whilst en route home from Tabland
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    stevef said:

Source?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

We all thought on election night at how bad Hilary must have felt at losing to Trump - but it was a pretty big personal disaster for Obama too. Not only do all those jokes now ring very hollow and must have him wincing every time he hears them, but Trump is damaging his programmes of social reform even if he hasn't yet quite dismantled them.
    Not only Obama, the Bushes and Clintons hate Trump too for obvious reasons, in fact Jimmy Carter was the first living ex President to accept an invitation to Trump's inaugration
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

stevef said:

Source?
    Stalin's article in Pravda 1930 entitled "Dizzy with Success".

Its a well known technique of dictators and Mafia bosses. They pose as the nice guy, while their followers carry out their dirty work -and then they claim it was nothing to do with them.
  • Options

Rhubarb said:

The Chinese have learnt some lessons from the East India Trading Company it seems to me.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Any suggestion the Sunday’s are going to have more on Agent COB?
  • Options

Any suggestion the Sunday’s are going to have more on Agent COB?

I hope not, I've already written tomorrow's threads.
  • Options
    Neil Kinnock warns Jeremy Corbyn: ‘Stop Brexit to save the NHS’

As 20,000 Labour members protest at party stance on Brexit, former leader adds pressure to resist leaving EU

Jeremy Corbyn has come under intense pressure to shift Labour’s position on Brexit after 20,000 members demanded a say over the issue and former leader Neil Kinnock backed halting Britain’s EU exit altogether.

It is understood that the Labour leader will also be confronted by some in his shadow cabinet this week who want him to back remaining in the single market and customs union.

Speaking to the Observer, Kinnock said he had been angered by claims from Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, that the NHS should benefit from the money saved by leaving the European Union. He said the reality was that “we should stop Brexit to save the NHS” or at the very least “mitigate the damage” by staying within the single market.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/17/neil-kinnock-jeremy-corbyn-labour-stop-brexit-save-nhs
  • Options

As 20,000 Labour members protest at party stance on Brexit, former leader adds pressure to resist leaving EU

Jeremy Corbyn has come under intense pressure to shift Labour’s position on Brexit after 20,000 members demanded a say over the issue and former leader Neil Kinnock backed halting Britain’s EU exit altogether.

It is understood that the Labour leader will also be confronted by some in his shadow cabinet this week who want him to back remaining in the single market and customs union.

Speaking to the Observer, Kinnock said he had been angered by claims from Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, that the NHS should benefit from the money saved by leaving the European Union. He said the reality was that “we should stop Brexit to save the NHS” or at the very least “mitigate the damage” by staying within the single market.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/17/neil-kinnock-jeremy-corbyn-labour-stop-brexit-save-nhs

The Kinnock clan are well-known for their even-handed perspective on all things European.

How much do Neil and Glenys get each year from their EU pensions? I can't quite remember
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Rhubarb said:

The Chinese have learnt some lessons from the East India Trading Company it seems to me.
    They've learnt you need to take what you can get in this world, and they will lift Africa out of poverty whilst keeping the capital and resource. A model for maximum efficacy
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Kinnock voted for and campaigned to leave the EEC in 1975.
  • Options

Astonishing to think that this lot brought down a prime minister, ripped asunder decades of British economic and foreign policy and had the Tories cowering in their shadow. How?
    I think you’ll find the voters did that...
  • Options

Rhubarb said:

They like the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise????
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

That is not something to laugh at. It almost makes me sick. It is horrendous that such an unsuitable and unqualified person got to be the most powerful person in the world.

• Options

The Kinnock clan are well-known for their even-handed perspective on all things European.

How much do Neil and Glenys get each year from their EU pensions? I can't quite remember
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/5533081/Kinnocks-have-six-state-pensions-worth-185000-per-year-says-think-tank.html
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,388
    JRM must be doing well, not to have been christened JMogg on PB.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

stevef said:

Source?
    Not for that one, but this is quite funny in a morbid kind of way:

What the newly released papers don't appear to confirm is that at their Tehran conference in 1943[..], Stalin had proposed shooting 50,000 to 100,000 German officers, the sort of thing he'd done to the Poles in the Katyn Forest in 1940.

FDR joked that perhaps 49,000 would do, but Churchill, a former fighting soldier himself, recoiled in horror that soldiers would be shot for doing their duty by their country – he'd rather be "taken out into the courtyard and shot" himself.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2012/oct/26/nazi-shooting-nuremberg-international-justice
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    stevef said:

Ishmael_Z said:

stevef said:

Source?
    Stalin's article in Pravda 1930 entitled "Dizzy with Success".

Its a well known technique of dictators and Mafia bosses. They pose as the nice guy, while their followers carry out their dirty work -and then they claim it was nothing to do with them.
    Thanks, fascinating. Link for anyone interested http://soviethistory.msu.edu/1929-2/collectivization/collectivization-texts/dizzy-with-success/

But doesn't say what you said it says, unless that is not the complete text.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

He £earned the €rror of hi$ way$.....
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

That is not something to laugh at. It almost makes me sick. It is horrendous that such an unsuitable and unqualified person got to be the most powerful person in the world.

I think that's harsh on Obama.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,798

Neil Kinnock warns Jeremy Corbyn: ‘Stop Brexit to save the Knnocks place on the gravy train’

Fixed.
  • Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/5533081/Kinnocks-have-six-state-pensions-worth-185000-per-year-says-think-tank.html
    Pensioner poverty is such a serious concern - I think we ought to be doing more to help them in this difficult time. How can they be expected to survive on only £500 a day between them?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018
    I predict a lot of hate at the Daily Mail on twitter....

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/964979476097626118
  • Options

Ouch. But crying won't make it better.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm starting to think that Mitch McConnell is going to be pulled into the Russian investigation.
  • Options

That’ll confuse them - the MoS is remainer central!
  • Options

Mogg I suggest that this is because the risk of confusing his name with references to the month of Mogg, dancing round the moggpole, Moggday distress messages etc has been adjudged to be rather low?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/964980614578438144

Ken Livingstone, John McDonnell and Jeremy Corbyn were part of a group of at least 15 senior Labour figures who shared information with Eastern bloc agents, it is claimed today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/17/czech-agent-claims-15-labour-mps-met-spies-ken-livingstone-john/
  • Options
    I am still really interested why the agent COB story has appeared now. Why not during the GE campaign?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    edited February 2018
    justin124 said:

I prefer Kinnock's earlier works.... Maybe up to the "grotesque chaos of a Labour council - a LABOUR council - hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers" of October 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUEenPlXpU

Could yet prove to be very prescient - of Corbyn's Britain.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    Scott_P said:
    "New agency ČTK quoted Svetlana Ptáčníková, who heads the Czech Security Forces Archive, which keeps documents from the now defunct Czechoslovak communist secret service (known as the StB). She said although Corbyn did meet an StB officer — referred to as Jan Dymic in the archives — the Labour leader considered him a diplomat.

“Mr. Corbyn was neither registered [by the StB] as a collaborator, nor does this [his alleged collaboration] stem from archive documents,” Ptacnikova said."

• Options

I am still really interested why the agent COB story has appeared now. Why not during the GE campaign?

Given how the IRA stuff failed to cause any real damage during the campaign, perhaps the feeling is that he can be hurt outside of the cut and thrust of election time?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018

Given how the IRA stuff failed to cause any real damage during the campaign, perhaps the feeling is that he can be hurt outside of the cut and thrust of election time?
    The thing with the IRA stuff is that it was only really deployed in the last week of the campaign, by which time all the dementia tax, robot May, failure to debate and Corbyn unopposed roadshow had set in.

If the take down stuff by the likes of Guido says anything is you keep drip drip drip the stuff over an extended period, meaning your victim has to continually keep issuing denials and blowing them off course.

This stuff seems at a really weird time, with nothing really happening, and even if it was shown that Corbyn was a paid informer, Labour aren't going to get rid of him and it will all be forgotten in a few years.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,388
    Ishmael_Z said:

Mogg I suggest that this is because the risk of confusing his name with references to the month of Mogg, dancing round the moggpole, Moggday distress messages etc has been adjudged to be rather low?
    Considering the PB naming convention applies to all sorts of politicians who find themselves beyond the pale, no you Mogg not suggest that.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,263
    edited February 2018
    Jo Cox husband stands down from his role in two charities after accusations of sexual harrassment connected with his time with save the children
This discussion has been closed.