Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on who will be Philip Hammond’s successor

Comments

• ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Ruth Davidson backs leaving the Customs Union on Peston on Sunday but wants a comprehensive free trade agreement with the EU post Brexit

I see she's gone on another journey then.
    'A' will end up being 'The'.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

felix said:

"What The Actual Fuck! #Marr excuses Cox's behaviour because of what he went through"

Not seen the programme but if true it is odd because:

1. It really doesn't excuse the behaviour
    &
    2. The behaviour preceded his wife's murder.

The point is that the sort of dubious office behaviour that he admits to wouldn't rate media coverage at all except for the fact that he's the husband of an MP who was murdered. Since anyone with any empathy at all feels that must have been rough, it's surely reasonable to cut him some slack and let him sort out his life in private. Surely being related to a victim shouldn't make you fair game for trial by media. Can any of us be absolutely sure we've never said anything that we'd be embarrassed by if we were catapulted into celebrity by the murder of a relative?
    He was asked to resign because of the “dubious office behaviour”. That sounds pretty serious to me

The Harvard student chose to make s police report about the matter. That sounds pretty serious to me.

Of course he wouldn’t have been in the Mail if he wasn’t in the public eye. But he chose to make himself a public figure after his wife’s death.
  • felix said:

"What The Actual Fuck! #Marr excuses Cox's behaviour because of what he went through"

&

The point is that the sort of dubious office behaviour that he admits to wouldn't rate media coverage at all except for the fact that he's the husband of an MP who was murdered. Since anyone with any empathy at all feels that must have been rough, it's surely reasonable to cut him some slack and let him sort out his life in private. Surely being related to a victim shouldn't make you fair game for trial by media. Can any of us be absolutely sure we've never said anything that we'd be embarrassed by if we were catapulted into celebrity by the murder of a relative?
    It is rarely I disagree with you Nick but he has been found out as a sex pest and labour should be focussing on his victims.

The fact that be is an icon of the left does not excuse the collective way they have tried to mitigate the damage caused and his involvement with save the children
    The quote from the Mail site is that once 'It is claimed that Mr Cox drunkenly harassed a female employee at the charity in London, forcing her against a wall outside a bar, holding her by the throat and telling her: 'I want to f*** you.’

Now that is unquestionably an incredibly stupid thing to do and equally unquestionably a resigning matter, but his statement suggests that he’s ashamed of himself.
    That's alright, then. The bloke has said he's ashamed, no harm done, he'll be back in the charity sector by the end of the day.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

Jonathan said:

It wasn’t all or nothing as far as I remember. You could also get partial grants. Only kids from the wealthiest families got no grant at all. It was pretty generous - and we could claim housing benefit and get the dole in the summer.

Ah. The good old days. When education was seen as good thing and young people were incentivised to take it.

I suspect agreement on this subject is unlikely. One reform I would like to see is students treated more like independent adults. The more you bring parental wealth into the equation, the less independent you people are encouraged to be.

It's worth remembering that in my cohort (1978), less than 15% of us went to university. Compared to 1970, there are four times as many students today.
    Unless you wanted to be a doctor or a lawyer or a teacher or academic or senior civil servant very few went to university as few jobs needed graduates.

You could be an accountant or a stockbroker or a middle manager or a journalist with just A Levels, a police officer or nurse with just GCSEs or O Levels, now most of those who do those jobs have degrees.
    Teaching required a two year diploma course. OK for most secondary and prinmary. Grammar schools needed degrees for lots of subjects, except I think PE.
    Old school friend of mine, whom I met up with again about a year ago after 50+ years, said that he’d done very well in banking with O levels.
    The old secondary moderns may not have needed full degrees no but grammar schools generally did as you say, the rise of comprehensive education largely coincided with the expansion of university education from the mid to late 1960s on.

The City in the 1980s was certainly full of public schoolboys and Essex boys who never went to university

One of my sons was one of those Essex boys in the late 80’s! Subsequently went to Uni, though.
    Helped no doubt by university expansion
    Not really. Went to one established in the 60’s, with an excellent reputation.
    The 60s was the first big period of university expansion, Warwick, York, Sussex, Essex, UEA, Kent etc all founded then
    Some very good names there. High reputations.
    The reputation of those in every subsequent expansion wave has fallen.

The law of diminsihing returns in action.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

felix said:

&

It is rarely I disagree with you Nick but he has been found out as a sex pest and labour should be focussing on his victims.

The fact that be is an icon of the left does not excuse the collective way they have tried to mitigate the damage caused and his involvement with save the children
    To be honest , it comes as a shock , when you respect someone .As with Kevin Spacey a reputed actor.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF said:

Oh dear - is Peston really this thick ?

https://twitter.com/peston/status/965131399459205120

I am going to go with option 3....

The issue is there are 2 questions that get conflated: (a) how do we finance tertiary education and (b) how to we capture the social benefit from higher education. You need to separate these.

The answer is to make universities entirely free standing and independent of government and allow them to charge what they feel appropriate for their courses. This will ensure clear market pricing and reflect the relative value of different courses and institutions.

Then there is a government resource allocation decision to capture social benefit. This is a political decision and rightly one to debate at that level. This could be to subsidise certain courses which are seen as adding greater social value (eg STEM or Medicine); or to support individuals financially for academic or other social reasons (eg poverty or social exclusion); or perhaps to support specific institutions that are seeing as adding extra value (eg Open University). At election times there would then be a debate on the right amount to spend on tertiary education and on how those resources should be allocated.
    I agree with that analysis. I think I'll pinch it and add it to "in my opinion". . Hope you don't mind.
    We’ll make a Conservative of you yet...
    ;) No chance of that! If it wasn't for the ideology, the members and the attitude ... But, as a pragmatist I am open-minded to well argued ideas.

The feature I would add to you suggestion is that in return for a free market in courses and fees I would insist that universities picked up some/most of the cost of means-tested maintenance grants and fees. I would also introduce a free market in student loans with the government as guarantor and collector rather than let the Student Loan Company have a monopoly with exorbitant interest rates.
    I’d certainly require universities to have bursary schemes so that no qualified kid can’t go to university for financial reasons - not sure I would put them on the hook for government policy directly as you suggest.

Fine with multiple providers of student loans. No reason why government should actually advance the capital
    Isn’t this pretty much the American system, with State and community collleges mostly government funded, and the Ivy League colleges allowing massive fees alongside bursaries and needs-blind admissions policies?
  • We know - it has all been said before but we are leaving
  • felix said:

&

The quote from the Mail site is that once 'It is claimed that Mr Cox drunkenly harassed a female employee at the charity in London, forcing her against a wall outside a bar, holding her by the throat and telling her: 'I want to f*** you.’

Now that is unquestionably an incredibly stupid thing to do and equally unquestionably a resigning matter, but his statement suggests that he’s ashamed of himself.
    That's alright, then. The bloke has said he's ashamed, no harm done, he'll be back in the charity sector by the end of the day.
    And that is exactly the problem
  • A forecast 12 years hence. How far out were the Brexit impact forecasts from under 2 years ago?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

We know - it has all been said before but we are leaving
    We have to pretend that we are in order to get 'the best possible deal', but once we know what it looks like we can drop the pretence.
  • Yorkcity said:

felix said:

&

To be honest , it comes as a shock , when you respect someone .As with Kevin Spacey a reputed actor.
    It is shocking and the extent of this is mind boggling. However, he should not be defended by Marr and the left
    We have to pretend that we are in order to get 'the best possible deal', but once we know what it looks like we can drop the pretence.
    And leave
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF said:

The issue is there are 2 questions that get conflated: (a) how do we finance tertiary education and (b) how to we capture the social benefit from higher education. You need to separate these.

The answer is to make univrsities entirely free standing and independent of government and allow them to charge what they feel appropriate for their courses. This will ensure clear market pricing and reflect the relative value of different courses and institutions.

Then there is a government resource allocation decision to capture social benefit. This is a political decision and rightly one to debate at that level. This could be to subsidise certain courses which are seen as adding greater social value (eg STEM or Medicine); or to support individuals financially for academic or other social reasons (eg poverty or social exclusion); or perhaps to support specific institutions that are seeing as adding extra value (eg Open University). At election times there would then be a debate on the right amount to spend on tertiary education and on how those resources should be allocated.
    I agree with that analysis. I think I'll pinch it and add it to "in my opinion". . Hope you don't mind.
    ;) No chance of that! If it wasn't for the ideology, the members and the attitude ... But, as a pragmatist I am open-minded to well argued ideas.

The feature I would add to you suggestion is that in return for a free market in courses and fees I would insist that universities picked up some/most of the cost of means-tested maintenance grants and fees. I would also introduce a free market in student loans with the government as guarantor and collector rather than let the Student Loan Company have a monopoly with exorbitant interest rates.
    I’d certainly require universities to have bursary schemes so that no qualified kid can’t go to university for financial reasons - not sure I would put them on the hook for government policy directly as you suggest.

Fine with multiple providers of student loans. No reason why government should actually advance the capital
    Isn’t this pretty much the American system, with State and community collleges mostly government funded, and the Ivy League colleges allowing massive fees alongside bursaries and needs-blind admissions policies?
    Pretty much - for instance local kids get to go to UC Berkeley for about $10k per year
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2018

Two new German polls should slightly steady Social Democrat (and therefore Merkel) nerves:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/ 7

Not great, but not awful either.

16% and 19% should steady their nerves? I thought they'd be on at least 20% in both.
    -3.9% is equivalent to one bad year.

Or a drag of about 0.3% per annum...?

Is this a soft Brexit scenario then?

For hard brexit is seems outrageously lenient.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

John_M said:

Jonathan said:

It wasn’t all or nothing as far as I remember. You could also get partial grants. Only kids from the wealthiest families got no grant at all. It was pretty generous - and we could claim housing benefit and get the dole in the summer.

Ah. The good old days. When education was seen as good thing and young people were incentivised to take it.

I suspect agreement on this subject is unlikely. One reform I would like to see is students treated more like independent adults. The more you bring parental wealth into the equation, the less independent you people are encouraged to be.

It's worth remembering that in my cohort (1978), less than 15% of us went to university. Compared to 1970, there are four times as many students today.
    Unless you wanted to be a doctor or a lawyer or a teacher or academic or senior civil servant very few went to university as few jobs needed graduates.

You could be an accountant or a stockbroker or a middle manager or a journalist with just A Levels, a police officer or nurse with just GCSEs or O Levels, now most of those who do those jobs have degrees.
    Teaching required a two year diploma course. OK for most secondary and prinmary. Grammar schools needed degrees for lots of subjects, except I think PE.
    Old school friend of mine, whom I met up with again about a year ago after 50+ years, said that he’d done very well in banking with O levels.
    The old secondary moderns may not have needed full degrees no but grammar schools generally did as you say, the rise of comprehensive education largely coincided with the expansion of university education from the mid to late 1960s on.

The City in the 1980s was certainly full of public schoolboys and Essex boys who never went to university

One of my sons was one of those Essex boys in the late 80’s! Subsequently went to Uni, though.
    Helped no doubt by university expansion
    Not really. Went to one established in the 60’s, with an excellent reputation.
    The 60s was the first big period of university expansion, Warwick, York, Sussex, Essex, UEA, Kent etc all founded then
    Some very good names there. High reputations.
    I remember when UEA was known as the University of Easy Access.
  • AndyJS said:

Two new German polls should slightly steady Social Democrat (and therefore Merkel) nerves:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/ 7

Not great, but not awful either.

16% and 19% should steady their nerves? I thought they'd be on at least 20% in both.
    Let's just say they had polled behind the AfD.

As an SDPer, does that mean = last thing I want is an election = go in to coalition; or does it mean agreeing with Merkel is killing us = no deal?
    That doesn't mean we shouldn't everything in our power to mitigate the problems - something your leader is failing to do miserably. Surely even your loyalty is being tested by now. I mean, she really is a dud.
  • Charles said:

felix said:

&

He was asked to resign because of the “dubious office behaviour”. That sounds pretty serious to me

The Harvard student chose to make s police report about the matter. That sounds pretty serious to me.

Of course he wouldn’t have been in the Mail if he wasn’t in the public eye. But he chose to make himself a public figure after his wife’s death.
    The bloke must be an arrogant moron. He had to resign from Save The Children a year before the appalling murder of his wife, and yet after that he set himself up as St Brendan the Superdad.
    Mumsnet are going barmy about him, and are really unhappy with the female Labour MPs who are on twitter defending him. He was a mumsnet darling until this week.

And it is a 15 year forecast - remain have lost this argument
  • To put this prediction into context the stagnant productivity of the last decade has already knocked 20% off potential UK GDP.

Remain have won the argument but Leave don't care.

Meanwhile Leavers wonder why in retrospect the public is inclining to the view that leaving the EU was the wrong decision.
    That doesn't mean we shouldn't everything in our power to mitigate the problems - something your leader is failing to do miserably. Surely even your loyalty is being tested by now. I mean, she really is a dud.
    Well I do not agree with her being a dud. She may not be talking your kind of Brexit but she is doing as well as anyone could in these circumstances and I am confident she will achieve a deal.

After that another leader will be needed
  • To put this prediction into context the stagnant productivity of the last decade has already knocked 20% off potential UK GDP.
    Generally if you're lost in the woods you don't improve the situation by slitting your wrists.
  • felix said:

&

So rather more serious than anything alleged at the Presidents Club.

And I wonder what his resignation terms will be ? A nice pay-off and another fatcat job in the charities sector in a few months perhaps ?

Meanwhile Leavers wonder why in retrospect the public is inclining to the view that leaving the EU was the wrong decision.
    No evidence just wishful thinking

Remain have won the argument.
    Remain “won the argument but lost the vote”?

Curious view of democracy....
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,774
    Scott_P said:
    It may be the case that only 9% of Labour voters were Leave supporters for whom Brexit was the no. 1 issue, but if Labour were to lose them, the Tories would win a big majority.
    3.9% was Oxford Economic's "Worst case" prediction in March 2016, i.e. before the vote to leave.

I don't know if they have updated it, and still arrived at the same number, but if not their "best case" is -0.1% and I don't have access to the full report / whether their estimates for 2016-now are already off.

Remain have won the argument.
    Remain “won the argument but lost the vote”?

Curious view of democracy....
    Seems to be Labour leadership position wrt last election.
    edited February 2018
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    It may be the case that only 9% of Labour voters were Leave supporters for whom Brexit was the no. 1 issue, but if Labour were to lose them, the Tories would win a big majority.
    On the other hand a pro-remain Labour Party led by say Chuka would bring a lot of erstwhile Tory voters in play.

Talking of predictions I remember reading here:

' recession is beckoning with a dark cloak, a skeletal finger and a voice that speaks in block capitals. '

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/29/alistair-meeks-on-the-political-and-economic-crises-of-breathtaking-proportions/#vanilla-comments

To put this prediction into context the stagnant productivity of the last decade has already knocked 20% off potential UK GDP.
    Generally if you're lost in the woods you don't improve the situation by slitting your wrists.
    It's just as well that we aren't.

There is abundant polling evidence that the public is inclining to the view that leaving the EU was the wrong decision.

You are welcome to concoct your own reason why this might be.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

To put this prediction into context the stagnant productivity of the last decade has already knocked 20% off potential UK GDP.
    3.9% was Oxford Economic's "Worst case" prediction in March 2016, i.e. before the vote to leave.

I don't know if they have updated it, and still arrived at the same number, but if not their "best case" is -0.1% and I don't have access to the full report / whether their estimates for 2016-now are already off.
    Given the UK trend growth rate of yesteryear, that's a difference between an economy that's 33% larger and 29% larger. Having said that:

1. Forecasts this far out are little better than guesses.

2. The impact is likely to be sectoral; in overall terms it's not much, but I'll bet that it'll fall heavily on automotive and financial services. The 2030 UK economy might be rather different than today in terms of relative strengths.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044

There is abundant polling evidence that the public is inclining to the view that leaving the EU was the wrong decision.

No evidence for that at all.
    Are you really reduced to silly metaphors when someone points out inconvenient facts ?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF said:

My idea is to have a levy on University fees, (offset by any bursary and scholarship contributions), that can be used by government to part finance tertiary education policy. Otherwise it is the taxpayer who pays for all the policy. "Why should a poor taxpayer subsidise someone to go to university?" It could even be a progressive levy. The higher the average fee, the higher the % levy.

' recession is beckoning with a dark cloak, a skeletal finger and a voice that speaks in block capitals. '

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/29/alistair-meeks-on-the-political-and-economic-crises-of-breathtaking-proportions/#vanilla-comments
    Thankfully, the strength of the EU economies appears to have helped stave it off for now.
    Are you really reduced to silly metaphors when someone points out inconvenient facts ?
    It's not a silly metaphor to say that someone complaining about inadequate economic performance is being a bit daft by advocating making matters worse.

I realise that you emotionally like the idea of Brexit. It still undermines every other point that you have made for as long as you have been on pb. You want it to work. But all mainstream economic opinion thinks it is going to be a further drag on the economy.

Thankfully, the strength of the EU economies appears to have helped stave it off for now.
    That's the beauty of economic predictions. Even when they are proved wrong, one can always come up with reasons why they are right.

While increased growth in the EU should help the UK economy to rebalance I suspect that so far the effect has boosted UK GDP by less than 0.1%.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

Leave aren't exactly going to be concerned, when all they have to face is bollocks like that.

Sir John remains to be persuaded:

if we look underneath the bonnet at the ebb and flow of voting intentions since the EU referendum, there is relatively little evidence that many Leave voters have jumped ship.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/are-voters-changing-their-minds-about-brexit/
    edited February 2018
    Sean_F said:

That's the beauty of economic predictions. Even when they are proved wrong, one can always come up with reasons why they are right.
    Have any of the organisations predicting economic data a decade or two into the future been questioned as to the accuracy of their predictions over the past decade or two, or even the past year or two?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883

Well I do not agree with her being a dud. She may not be talking your kind of Brexit but she is doing as well as anyone could in these circumstances and I am confident she will achieve a deal.

Why? If she somehow ends with a form of Brexit that is not Malcolm Tucker's proverbial "hurricane of piss" why should she hand over to somebody else?
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Sandpit said:

Have any of the organisations predicting economic data a decade or two into the future been questioned as to the accuracy of their predictions over the past decade or two, or even the past year or two?

Did any of the organisations successfully predict the Great Financial Crisis of 2008?

If your model is not accurate enough to predict the most substantial event of the last twenty years, it is worthless.

It's not a silly metaphor to say that someone complaining about inadequate economic performance is being a bit daft by advocating making matters worse.

I realise that you emotionally like the idea of Brexit. It still undermines every other point that you have made for as long as you have been on pb. You want it to work. But all mainstream economic opinion thinks it is going to be a further drag on the economy.
    Yes.It's difficult to see how Brexit won't be a drag on the economy, now that the plan to use Liam's myriad buccaneering foreign-trade deals to compensate has been quietly abandoned. Presumably the hope is now that native Brits will be obliged to take the jobs vacated by imported EU workers and productivity will soar. Sorry, but I'm not that hopeful.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883

Unless you're that beardy WMD bloke.

Yet the facts are that since June 2016 the UK economy has started to rebalance in the way I have called for as long as I have been on PB.

The trade deficit has significantly fallen while manufaturing production and house building have had their best periods for decades and there are even signs that productivity might finally be increasing.

And what was the alternative offered by Remainers ? The continuation of two decades of Osbrowne economics, of borrow and consume, of stealing from the future to pay for a present lifestyle which we haven't earned.

Now I don't know what the future will be but change was needed and gives a possibility of reform and success whereas the alternative was the continuation of failure and the certainty of ultimate impoverishment.
  • Dura_Ace said:

Why? If she somehow ends with a form of Brexit that is not Malcolm Tucker's proverbial "hurricane of piss" why should she hand over to somebody else?
    It is unlikely she will lead into the next GE
    edited February 2018

Yes.It's difficult to see how Brexit won't be a drag on the economy, now that the plan to use Liam's myriad buccaneering foreign-trade deals to compensate has been quietly abandoned. Presumably the hope is now that native Brits will be obliged to take the jobs vacated by imported EU workers and productivity will soar. Sorry, but I'm not that hopeful.
    The hope is that unskilled labour is replaced by capital, increasing productivity. Ask anyone who spent six figures a decade ago on an automated car wash what they think of unlimited unskilled immigration.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676

felix said:

&

It is absolutely pathetic the way this country has gone, people need to get a grip. Useless media fixated on absolutely minor items whilst ignoring the real criminal acts. Too many wishy washy liberal easily offended halfwits about. Next we will have people bleating that they have worked with someone for 20 years and have never once had their knee felt and so workmate should be sacked/jailed for not flirting/fancying them.

felix said:

&

That is totally out of order, and he is obviously an idiot of the first order if it is true.

felix said:

&

Labour are like that though
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    In the movie "Darkest Hour", Winston Churchill is shown battling against those Appeasers/Chamberlainites who argued that a dominant European power was too strong for the UK to defy. If went it alone that power would utterly destroy us, there was no future for Britain without a deal which gave the European superpower what it wanted.

I know that there is no comparison between the Third Reich and the EU. I do not need to be told that.

However it also strikes me that there is a huge comparison between the Chamberlainites of 1940 and the whingeing Remoaners of today. Both had a contempt for public opinion. Both believed that Britain could not be an independent country against an overweening sprawling and arrogant foreign superstate, both have utter contempt for those who dared to suggest that there was a "sunlit uplands" beyond total surrender.

Which leads me to conclude sadly that that small minority of remainers who are rightly dubbed "remoaners" are today's modern day Chamberlainites and Appeasers.

felix said:

&

If he was "just" the husband of an MP, surely that would still have been a story?

Personally, I cut a lot of slack to people that own up to past problems which is what he has done.

To say somehow his wife's death relieves him of responsibility if anything is an insult to his sense of agency.
    He only owned up after being outed, before that he made out to be a saint.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Mortimer said:

John_M said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

The answer and institutions.

Then there is a government resource allocation decision to capture social benefit. This is a political decision and to spend on tertiary education and on how those resources should be allocated.

Nasty regressive solution. The students ability to pay should not come into. Your so called market will be dominated by the wealthy.
    You misunderstand: in government).

If some rich thick kid wants to pay £100,000 to study basket weaving at Pontypandy University that’s fine, but they shouldn’t expect support from the taxpayer to do so
    Means testing creates a second class student. Why should a talented poor or middle class have to jump through additional hoops? There are enough barriers anyway. Each according to their talent , not daddy's bank account and connections .

I got a full grant in the 1980s after my parents were means-tested. It was no big deal and certainly didn’t make me feel second class.

Means testing . What if you had just failed to get the grant? What then?

That's correct. We need to stop this reflexive dislike of 'means testing'. We do need robust controls to stop the middle classes gaming the system, naturally.
    Absolutely on both counts.

IMHO Labour's continual opposition to means testing puts them way out of whack with the British public's sense of fairness.
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    It won't when most Tory marginal seats voted Leave
    If and only if leaving the EU is the voters' top priority. Do you really think that is the case?

A forecast 12 years hence. How far out were the Brexit impact forecasts from under 2 years ago?
    Tax exiles do not need to concern themselves, only UK citizens will be paying.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2018

There is also abundant polling evidence that opinion polls aren't actually very accurate predictors of real public opinion as expressed at the ballot box any more.

The final two polls published at 10 pm on 23 June 2016 had remain ahead by 4 and 10 per cent. What happened to May's 100 seat majority which almost all the final polls predicted? Clinton had a 98 per cent chance of winning etc etc.

As for Brexit related polling you seem to get very different results for what is apparently the same question between different pollsters and even with the same pollster depending on what question you ask.

How about we just abolish democratic elections and let you gov or MORI determine who runs the country or what our relationship with the EU is? We could spend the money Saved on holding actual elections on the NHS!

TWR, thanks for your comprehensive reply on school dinners the other day, cut through the misinformation for sure.
  • Sandpit said:

The hope is that unskilled labour is replaced by capital, increasing productivity. Ask anyone who spent six figures a decade ago on an automated car wash what they think of unlimited unskilled immigration.
    Not to mention that a carwash machine doesn't claim benefits, require housing, use public services or put extra pressure on transport and the environment.

I can imagine what our Remainers would have thought of the industrial revolution - " Why invest in steam engines when the world is full of unskilled workers. "
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited February 2018

Mortimer said:

John_M said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Then there is a government resource allocation decision to capture social benefit. This is a political decision and to spend on tertiary education and on how those resources should be allocated.

Nasty regressive solution. The students ability to pay should not come into. Your so called market will be dominated by the wealthy.

If some rich thick kid wants to pay £100,000 to study basket weaving at Pontypandy University that’s fine, but they shouldn’t expect support from the taxpayer to do so
    Means testing creates a second class student. Why should a talented poor or middle class have to jump through additional hoops? There are enough barriers anyway. Each according to their talent , not daddy's bank account and connections .

I got a full grant in the 1980s after my parents were means-tested. It was no big deal and certainly didn’t make me feel second class.

That's correct. We need to stop this reflexive dislike of 'means testing'. We do need robust controls to stop the middle classes gaming the system, naturally.

IMHO Labour's continual opposition to means testing puts them way out of whack with the British public's sense of fairness.
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    If and only if leaving the EU is the voters' top priority. Do you really think that is the case?
    Not at the moment with the Government implementing Brexit, if a future Labour manifesto tried to reverse Brexit and refused to implement any new immigration controls it might be

From what we have seen so far G , it is hard to see this lot get any kind of decent deal.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    stevef said:

In the movie "Darkest Hour", Winston Churchill is shown battling against those Appeasers/Chamberlainites who argued that a dominant European power was too strong for the UK to defy. If went it alone that power would utterly destroy us, there was no future for Britain without a deal which gave the European superpower what it wanted.

I know that there is no comparison between the Third Reich and the EU. I do not need to be told that.

However it also strikes me that there is a huge comparison between the Chamberlainites of 1940 and the whingeing Remoaners of today. Both had a contempt for public opinion. Both believed that Britain could not be an independent country against an overweening sprawling and arrogant foreign superstate, both have utter contempt for those who dared to suggest that there was a "sunlit uplands" beyond total surrender.

Which leads me to conclude sadly that that small minority of remainers who are rightly dubbed "remoaners" are today's modern day Chamberlainites and Appeasers.

You're an idiot.
  • PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

John_M said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Then there is is is a political decision and to spend on tertiary education and on how those resources should be allocated.

If some richayer to do so
    nnections .

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Not at the moment with the Government implementing Brexit, if a future Labour government tried to reverse Brexit and refused to implement any new immigration controls it might be
    Political debate is being coloured at the moment by small numbers on either side of the Brexit debate who are very noisy and utterly obsessed. I am sure the majority have long since moved on and just want the politicians to get on with it.
  • malcolmg said:

From what we have seen so far G , it is hard to see this lot get any kind of decent deal.
    There does seem to be a change in tone coming from the EU as each side looks down the barrel of a revolver. I maybe optimistic but as the stakes are high for both sides a deal is likely - even Verhofstadt said that this morning.

Lets see as the year progresses
    Those who think Emily Thornberry is the answer to Labour's problem really hasn't been paying attention.
    stevef said:

A tad over the top Steve.

Alastair et al can fight their own corner, but as a very lukewarm Leaver I do have a view that this kind of language is simply unhelpful.

"It's the economy, stupid" was a powerful slogan, because by and large, that's what drives our personal wealth and the ability of government to provide services that we all care about.

I've handwaved away 4% of lost growth earlier in this thread, but using a reasonable extrapolation, that's £80bn in absolute terms. Assuming a 40% government tax take, that's north of £30bn that won't be available for services in 2030.

Those that are primarily concerned with the economic health of the country are rightly unmoved by people wrapping themselves in the flag and whittering on about trade opportunities in Tuvalu.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

felix said:

&

That really is not correct Nick.

It would rate media coverage because it is in the sector which is the subject - courtesy of Oxfam - which is the subject of the narrative at present. And it is so because there have been a number of interviews with people who know what they are talking about who are saying that this is systemic, affects more than just Oxfam, has been going on for years and, despite being known about, nothing effective has been done.

Secondly, Mr Cox put himself in the public eye after his wife's death by making himself a bit of a spokesperson for moral behaviour, being against hate etc. So it is understandable that when issues about moral behaviour in a sector in which he works become the story people might look at him. If you're in glasshouses don't throw stones is a useful lesson for Brendan Cox, as it is for others.

Third, it is really disappointing that so many people from a party which makes a great play of being on the side of women, as a generality, find it so hard to condemn bad behaviour aimed at women when it is done by one of them. Or find it so hard to be unequivocal in condemning bad behaviour by Labour men or men on the left. It is as if women's rights only matter when it allows Labour to feel morally superior but that, on no account should it require anyone on the left to behave well to real life women. And if they behave badly well women shouldn't really complain about it because, well, we're Labour.

And that is really Not Good Enough. Not by a long way. Women are a bit sick of being patronised by the left on this. It's all "Women's Rights" on the one hand and "Shut up, I'll deal with this. You go and make the tea." on the other. We're not stupid. We can tell what you really think.

Brendan Cox behaved badly. He has withdrawn from the fray. For the moment he should be left alone. If he's genuinely sorry and learns from his mistakes he can recover. But all those trying to find excuses for him need to take a long hard look at themselves.
  • PeterC said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

John_M said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Then there is is is a political decision and to spend on tertiary education and on how those resources should be allocated.

If some richayer to do so
    nnections .

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Not at the moment with the Government implementing Brexit, if a future Labour government tried to reverse Brexit and refused to implement any new immigration controls it might be
    Political debate is being coloured at the moment by small numbers on either side of the Brexit debate who are very noisy and utterly obsessed. I am sure the majority have long since moved on and just want the politicians to get on with it.
    +1

MPs would be very, very unwise to get into a pissing contest with voters on who knows what is best for Britain.
  • stevef said:

Public opinion was strongly in favour of appeasement up until the outbreak of war. It changed because it had self-evidently failed to stop war.

Of course there is a theory that much of that pro appeasement feeling was promoted by pacifist and/or pro Nazi & Fascist press. I'm sure you might be able to fashion an analogy with the part the press played in the lead up to Brexit.
  • Cyclefree said:

felix said:

"What The Actual Fuck! #Marr excuses Cox's behaviour because of what he went

It would rate media coverage because it is in the sector which is the subject - courtesy of Oxfam - which is the subject of the narrative at present. And it is so because there have been a number of interviews with people who know what they are talking about who are saying that this is systemic, affects more than just Oxfam, has been going on for years and, despite being known about, nothing effective has been done.

Secondly, Mr Cox put himself in the public eye after his wife's death by making himself a bit of a spokesperson for moral behaviour, being against hate etc. So it is understandable that when issues about moral behaviour in a sector in which he works become the story people might look at him. If you're in glasshouses don't throw stones is a useful lesson for Brendan Cox, as it is for others.

Third, it is really disappointing that so many people from a party which makes a great play of being on the side of women, as a generality, find it so hard to condemn bad behaviour aimed at women when it is done by one of them. Or find it so hard to be unequivocal in condemning bad behaviour by Labour men or men on the left. It is as if women's rights only matter when it allows Labour to feel morally superior but that, on no account should it require anyone on the left to behave well to real life women. And if they behave badly well women shouldn't really complain about it because, well, we're Labour.

And that is really Not Good Enough. Not by a long way. Women are a bit sick of being patronised by the left on this. It's all "Women's Rights" on the one hand and "Shut up, I'll deal with this. You go and make the tea." on the other. We're not stupid. We can tell what you really think.

Brendan Cox behaved badly. He has withdrawn from the fray. For the moment he should be left alone. If he's genuinely sorry and learns from his mistakes he can recover. But all those trying to find excuses for him need to take a long hard look at themselves.
    Another excellent post
    edited February 2018

malcolmg said:

There does seem to be a change in tone coming from the EU as each side looks down the barrel of a revolver. I maybe optimistic but as the stakes are high for both sides a deal is likely - even Verhofstadt said that this morning.

Lets see as the year progresses
    Those with the wettest gussets over the Brexit doom soon to be visited upon us seem to be those who no knowledge of how negotiating works.

Their kids must rule them with an iron rod!

Cyclefree said:

Another excellent, pithy post.

Labour has a hypocrisy problem.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

Another excellent, pithy post.

Labour has a hypocrisy problem.
    It's not really hypocrisy which is the problem. It's that they don't appear to understand that principles are not clothes you wear, depending on what is fashionable today. Or banners to wave at the opposition. They are meant to be moral imperatives to live by.

Too many people think that principles are things to proclaim rather than guides to action.

Labour have this problem with women' rights and gay rights and racism and no doubt other issues. But the Tories and the Lib Dems also have their blind spots too..
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

felix said:

SNIP said anything that we'd be embarrassed by if we were catapulted into celebrity by the murder of a relative?

Well said, yet again

Assume you have seen these?

https://order-order.com/2018/02/18/thornbery-bullying-katrina-murray-one-things/

https://order-order.com/2018/02/18/labour-mps-back-brendan-cox/

They don't seem very bothered over phone hacking done by the Mirror either.....

Strange that
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally Radio 5 had somebody from the Higher Education Policy Institute on this morning. He talked a lot of sense especially on part time learners. Well worth listening to if you can find it.

Martin Lewis was on a bit later and did a better job of explaining that the university fees loan is effectively a tax, or as he preferred it a contribution scheme, than any government of higher education bod I've ever heard. He explained quite clearly that the people who would benefit most from fees being cut and intererest rates reduced would be the wealthiest earners, and the people harmed the most would be poorer students who might find it even harder to get into university if places are cut to make up from a drop in fees.

Lewis's view was that if you really want to make things better the current scheme would likely have to be abolished rather than tinkered with.
  • glw said:

ydoethur said:

Incidentally Radio 5 had somebody from the Higher Education Policy Institute on this morning. He talked a lot of sense especially on part time learners. Well worth listening to if you can find it.

Martin Lewis was on a bit later and did a better job of explaining that the university fees loan is effectively a tax, or as he preferred it a contribution scheme, than any government of higher education bod I've ever heard. He explained quite clearly that the people who would benefit most from fees being cut and intererest rates reduced would be the wealthiest earners, and the people harmed the most would be poorer students who might find it even harder to get into university if places are cut to make up from a drop in fees.

Lewis's view was that if you really want to make things better the current scheme would likely have to be abolished rather than tinkered with.
    If HE funding is once again streamed from the general taxation pot, then it will lose out every time to NHS, schools etc. These will be the priorities.

That will be the price of completely free eduction at tertiary level.

There is nothing wrong with that as a view or a policy position, but the public should be aware what the consequences are.
    Cyclefree said:

It's not really hypocrisy which is the problem. It's that they don't appear to understand that principles are not clothes you wear, depending on what is fashionable today. Or banners to wave at the opposition. They are meant to be moral imperatives to live by.

Too many people think that principles are things to proclaim rather than guides to action.

Labour have this problem with women' rights and gay rights and racism and no doubt other issues. But the Tories and the Lib Dems also have their blind spots too..

Whether now fair or not, the Tories' blind spots are fully priced in by the voters, vehemently so by those who don't like them.

The LibDems made their blind spot party leader, with his issues on gay sex and sin.

But I do think it is hypocrisy with Labour though. They believe they are infallible in their portfolio of positions on all moral issues of the day, as they view them, from their high horse up on the moral high ground. So when they fall short, that should allow them a free pass or two. Or three.

As is often the case the parallels between Trump and Corybn, and their supporters, is striking.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,765
    Yorkcity said:

felix said:

&

If that should be 'reputable' (as in 'an actor of repute') can I please nominate as an early contender for Freudian slip of the year?
  • Mr Cook is mistaken. There is a world of difference between sharing information and sharing organisations. At the time May was pointing out that Scotland would have to set up its own intelligence services - she isn’t suggesting today that other EU members should disband theirs.
    There is a difference between sharing agencies, and being recipients of intelligence. We sure as hell don't want any of our EU pals being privy to our spying on them.
    glw said:

ydoethur said:

I spend half my life explaining that to students at the start of the UCAS options process in Year 11 (because I'm the only member of staff at my school who has worked in HE as a lecturer). Indeed the real irony of the NUS protests was that the scheme they proposed instead was much less generous.

I didn't hear the interview however it's easy to see how tinkering at the edges could make things worse. That said, there are other problems in the sector anyway as I noted earlier of which fees are but a minor symptom and may not actually be relevant to any solutions needed.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Cyclefree said:

It is disappointing when people are so ready to excuse their “own side”. That is why Nick’s posts on Cox and Oxfam have been rather sad.

It just makes sexism or racism another weapon in the inter-party fight, rather than principles on which we act.

So, the posters here who were so exercised about Damien Green’s porn-riddled computer now seem to be the ones quiet about Oxfam or Brendan Cox.

Of all the allegations, the ones against Oxfam seem to me to be by far the most serious -- easily as bad as the allegations against Weinstein, which set the whole thing off.
    ydoethur said:

I spend half my life explaining that to students at the start of the UCAS options process in Year 11 (because I'm the only member of staff at my school who has worked in HE as a lecturer). Indeed the real irony of the NUS protests was that the scheme they proposed instead was much less generous.

I didn't hear the interview however it's easy to see how tinkering at the edges could make things worse. That said, there are other problems in the sector anyway as I noted earlier of which fees are but a minor symptom and may not actually be relevant to any solutions needed.

Lewis said that for the average graduate it's basically £900* a year for 30 years, and that most of them will never have to repay the full principal never mind the interest, so cutting rates is irrelevant for all but the top earners.

He basically said that cutting fees and interest rates will make people feel good, but would benefit only the wealthy, and that the poorest students might find there are fewer university places available.

We have a graduate tax in all but name today, nothing being proposed by the government is likely to improve it much.

* Currently, as the point they start paying will rise quite sharply soon, and of course the amount is subject to inflation and income rises.
    edited February 2018
    glw said:

ydoethur said:

Lewis said that for the average graduate it's basically £900* a year for 30 years, and that most of them will never have to repay the full principal never mind the interest, so cutting rates is irrelevant for all but the top earners.

He basically said that cutting fees and interest rates will make people feel good, but would benefit only the wealthy, and that the poorest students might find there are fewer university places available.

We have a graduate tax in all but name today, nothing being proposed by the government is likely to improve it much.

* Currently, as the point they start paying will rise quite sharply soon, and of course the amount is subject to inflation and income rises.
    The other advantage of loans vs tax is that you can levy it on people who move abroad. (I know in practice the SLC led by the egregious Kevin O'Cockup have never have managed to get money out of expats, but he must be close to retirement after 26 years in post and if somebody of ability and drive replaced him that could change.)

It does however make you wonder a bit what will happen in 25 years when these loans start being written off.
    Alistair said:
    Cook has completely missed the point. Why on earth should an independent Scotland have, for example, access to GCHQ's SIGINT operation?

We'd doubtless be delighted to sign a second party agreement with them, as we have with several other nations, but while we share some elements of collection with Five Eyes nations, we don't even allow them unfettered access to our internal processing.

Sharing intelligence in pursuit of common goals - e.g. the fight against Salafist terrorism is a whole other thing. We'd continue to do that, Brexit or no - our gentleperson's agreement with the Europeans dates back to the Club de Berne in '71.
  • Project Fear Classic, accept no substitutes.
    John_M said:

Alistair said:
    Cook has completely missed the point. Why on earth should an independent Scotland have, for example, access to GCHQ's SIGINT operation?

We'd doubtless be delighted to sign a second party agreement with them, as we have with several other nations, but while we share some elements of collection with Five Eyes nations, we don't even allow them unfettered access to our internal processing.

Sharing intelligence in pursuit of common goals - e.g. the fight against Salafist terrorism is a whole other thing. We'd continue to do that, Brexit or no - our gentleperson's agreement with the Europeans dates back to the Club de Berne in '71.
    I misread that for a moment as 'the fight against Socialism.'
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Cyclefree said:

It is disappointing when people are so ready to excuse their “own side”. That is why Nick’s posts on Cox and Oxfam have been rather sad.

It just makes sexism or racism another weapon in the inter-party fight, rather than principles on which we act.

So, the posters here who were so exercised about Damien Green’s porn-riddled computer now seem to be the ones quiet about Oxfam or Brendan Cox.

Of all the allegations, the ones against Oxfam seem to me to be by far the most serious -- easily as bad as the allegations against Weinstein, which set the whole thing off.
    The morality war stuff is boring and I think most of the electorate just ignore it.

People who have done stuff wrong should be punished but in the area of politics it gets mixed up with a number of other things and people enjoy the thrill of hunting down those whose political views they dislike or are part of organisations they dislike for justified reasons.
    ydoethur said:

The other advantage of loans vs tax is that you can levy it on people who move abroad. (I know in practice the SLC led by the egregious Kevin O'Cockup have never have managed to get money out of expats, but he must be close to retirement after 26 years in post and if somebody of ability and drive replaced him that could change.)

It does however make you wonder a bit what will happen in 25 years when these loans start being written off.

That's the time to switch to a tax and never stop them paying. ;)
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,776
    For those that missed it last night this is thoroughly entertaining and a lesson to those who "know": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zT0Rjc6jKCg
This discussion has been closed.