Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tick tock. Betting on the date of the UK’s exit from the EU

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think that is the first German poll where the AfD is ahead of the SPD?
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/965600517257945089
    AfD moving towards becoming the main opposition party in Germany
    And the SPD heading towards the Lib Dems. They may well be overtaken by the Greens in the coming weeks as well. It remains to be seen, does it not, whether the membership will back the not so grand Coalition?
    I think the real story is not the rise of the AfD, but rather the level of fragmentation in Germany.

There's one "big" party with a third of the vote, and then five with 10-15% - AfD, SPD, Greens, Linke and FDP.

Could Germany be the new Italy, where unstable governments are built from three incompatible partners?
    Quite right. Some on here cheer on the AfD, but they are within a margin of error of 4 other small parties. The big news is the collapse of the SPD vote.
  • Options

POTUS 2020: Castro making moves in N Hampshire, where:

" "There is an old New Hampshire saying: "You will never vote for someone who hasn't shaken your hand twice." "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/19/democrats-2020-choice-tough-old-stagers-untested-young-blood/

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-16/these-democrats-aren-t-ready-to-run-for-president

The 2020 Democratic Primary Is Already Out of Hand: Why are these candidates running for president instead of winnable races?
    Interesting. Thanks.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Jonathan said:

Off topic.

Has anyone cracked work life balance? Worked at weekend for third time in a row and now away from home for a week . Craving simpler times.

Has anyone stepped away from a salary for a better life?

It was a while ago mind. Took voluntary redundancy from an international technical sales role and went into business with my wife - but returned to wage slavery when the school fees started to bite :).
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Can I also point out to all you Tory supporters hoping Corbyn is proved to be a Soviet agent, that he is currently about the only thing standing between you and a complete wipe out at the next GE.

Be careful what you wish for.

To be honest even if the allegations turn out to be true they won't change anything.

If the IRA stuff didn't destroy Corbyn then this won't.

I'd argue the IRA were more a real threat to the day to day lives of Brits than the Eastern Bloc.
    Really? The guy who is putting himself up to be Prime Minister, in charge of the security of the nation? Spying for another nation? I think you have a very optimistic hat on, if you think that won't affect many things - including for example our relationship with other nations. We could wave goodbye to high-grade intel from the US for starters.

And imagine the election campaign. People in dark coats, collars up, big hats, following him around everywhere. Much more fun than the Bottler Brown brown bottles following Gordon around. Corbyn would become a laughing stock.
    The IRA were bombing and killing us, even as a child in the 80s/90s I knew about the threat from the IRA.

Apart from poor Georgi Markov, the Soviets didn't kill anyone in the UK on the scale of the IRA.
    In 1996 the IRA bombed Manchester City centre, causing over £1bn of improvements.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Can I also point out to all you Tory supporters hoping Corbyn is proved to be a Soviet agent, that he is currently about the only thing standing between you and a complete wipe out at the next GE.

To be honest even if the allegations turn out to be true they won't change anything.

I'd argue the IRA were more a real threat to the day to day lives of Brits than the Eastern Bloc.
    Really? The guy who is putting himself up to be Prime Minister, in charge of the security of the nation? Spying for another nation? I think you have a very optimistic hat on, if you think that won't affect many things - including for example our relationship with other nations. We could wave goodbye to high-grade intel from the US for starters.

And imagine the election campaign. People in dark coats, collars up, big hats, following him around everywhere. Much more fun than the Bottler Brown brown bottles following Gordon around. Corbyn would become a laughing stock.
    The IRA were bombing and killing us, even as a child in the 80s/90s I knew about the threat from the IRA.

Apart from poor Georgi Markov, the Soviets didn't kill anyone in the UK on the scale of the IRA.
    In 1996 the IRA bombed Manchester City centre, causing over £1bn of improvements.
    The best thing that ever happened to Manchester.

I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have a job or flat in Manchester without the IRA.

Time to give Gerry Adams a peerage.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

It's hard to believe that there were not strong links between the Soviets and the IRA. That may well be one of the ways in which Corbyn could have been useful, of course. He was well connected in Irish republican circles, met IRA leaders regularly and also knew his way around the far left generally. There would certainly have been info he could have provided that would have helped the Soviets build up their picture of the range of threats the British state was facing and to devise ways in which they could exploit them further - which left faction to give money to, who to help into a key position, how to get supporters of the IRA embedded in certain councils, etc.

Just as the Russians have seen Brexit, the election of Trump and the rise of the far right in Europe as opportunities to destabilise Western institutions; so terrorism and the loony left provided opportunities in the 1980s.

Do you and Steve f go out for a pint ?
    If they do lets hope nobody orders a Red Bull
    True, I believe it is not good for blood pressure and constipation.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Jonathan said:

Off topic.

Has anyone cracked work life balance? Worked at weekend for third time in a row and now away from home for a week . Craving simpler times.

Yup. Me. Admittedly at an age where a lot of people think about doing this. But I had had enough of working late every evening, of never being off duty, of ending up ill every year, even on work trips etc.

And even though I am now working for myself with all the worries of "How do I get work?" "Will anyone want me?" "What if the money runs out?" I much prefer my life now. Even though I enjoyed my working life as well. When I had a serious cancer scare at the same age as my father did it jolted me into realising that I really did not want to end up dead at an early age and needed to make some drastic changes

All I would say is that even if you can't make the jump immediately, it is worth thinking about what steps you can take - in stages - to get to where you want to be.

A lot of work feels Sysphean: repeating the same bloody thing day after day with no obvious end or outcome or result. So sometimes you just have to say "Enough", close the door and go home.

And one thing I was told which I really benefit from: every day try and do something that makes you happy, whatever that is: smelling flowers, cooking, reading a book, listening to some music. It doesn't matter what it is but make some little time for it. It's like a mental shed into which you can retreat and from which you can draw strength.

Good luck!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42936613
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Jonathan said:

Off topic.

Investing your spare readies into tips like the thread header will get you there faster.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Thanks, everyone. some great advice and food for thought.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Dear Mrs May

FYI regarding your speech to an empty room

Most countries in Europe have no tuition fees.

In 2014, Germany scrapped tuition fees.

The cost to scrap tuition fees AND restore maintenance grants would cost £11.2 billion.

Raising corporation tax to 2010 levels would raise around £19.4 billion.

Love

Jezza
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123

Any source for that polling? The delegate conference secured sub-60% approval. Wouldn't need a huge change of mind if that vote reflected the wider membership.

Yes, but it's supporters, not members, I think, here 3 days ago:
    http://www.fr.de/politik/bundestagswahl/umfrage-mehrheit-der-spd-anhaenger-befuerwortet-neue-groko-a-1449407

SPD voters 66-30 in favour, CDU members 78-17. The population overall is 49-42 for the deal, with AfD voters unsurprisingly being the most hostile (80%). 49-44 want Merkel to serve a full term, with CDU, SPD and Green voters all supportive.
    Many thanks Nick.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FF43 said:

If it was one-way traffic, with just the STASI spying on Corbyn, why would they need his approval?

If it is was two-way traffic, that might be a reason....

(I was in East Germany in 1976, just passing through eastwards and then back westwards. Wonder if there was a file on me?)

Because you might find your wife was informing on you, your daughter or a good friend. Not that this applies to Jeremy Corbyn of course. A lot of people would say, I don't want to know. Let the past stay in the past.

Because some of the West German politicians who wrote the rules wanted the files to stay closed
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123

Some on here cheer on the AfD....

Really? Not that I have noticed.
  • Options
    Dont necessarily agree with the headline.

But seriously how can a decision like this be right

https://evolvepolitics.com/heartless-tories-to-remove-disability-vehicle-from-utterly-immobile-man-with-advanced-motor-neurone-disease/
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Sandpit said:

Hilarious.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

https://evolvepolitics.com/heartless-tories-to-remove-disability-vehicle-from-utterly-immobile-man-with-advanced-motor-neurone-disease/

My sister died of MND.It is a death where suffering is so great ,I would not wish on my worst enemy.
    This is conscious cruelty from the Tories who need to understand the severity of the many progressive long-term health conditions we face.
  • Options

Dear Mrs May

The cost to scrap tuition fees AND restore maintenance grants would cost £11.2 billion.

Love

Jezza

Does that include wiping out the debts of recent graduates and paying back those students who have started repaying their loans? Why should they be left out?

Now what other tax would you raise to pay for the NHS and social care?

Corporation tax cannot be spent twice, as I'm sure you - if not Jezza - realise.

PS Most countries in Europe have a mix of private and public provision, including health insurance, to pay for health care. We do indeed have much to learn from EU countries, since you're on this meme.
  • Options
    'Absolutely extraordinary' dead heat in two-man bobsleigh

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-olympics/43113482

They should have used Hawkeye's VAR system....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

No other country in Europe has as many top universities as we do (and the Netherlands has fees).

Raising corporation tax is the last thing we want to do to stay competitive post Brexit.

What is needed is to ensure fees greater reflect the cost of the course and the graduate earnings premium of the course, not to scrap them altogethet

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

over 50% of first time buyers now get on the property ladder with parental support

You do realise this isn't a positive development ?
    Its not really negative either - unless you are consumed by envy.

And a lot cheaper than letting the kids pay inheritance taxes.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,061
    We’re back to pretending the money gives us leverage.
    https://twitter.com/brexit/status/965655629628133376
  • Options

Not a very secret plan. Who's leaking? Maybe it's Corbyn the master spy?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Does that include wiping out the debts of recent graduates and paying back those students who have started repaying their loans? Why should they be left out?

Corporation tax cannot be spent twice, as I'm sure you - if not Jezza - realise.

PS Most countries in Europe have a mix of private and public provision, including health insurance, to pay for health care. We do indeed have much to learn from EU countries, since you're on this meme.
    Would the Scottish system be preferable ?
  • Options
    The "Bloomberg Brexit" twatter account is a parody.

No ?
  • Options
    Cambridge University is to strip a paedophile of his academic qualifications after he was jailed for 32-years for conducting a campaign of appalling web based abuse against a string of vulnerable victims.

Dr Matthew Falder, 29, who obtained a masters degree and PhD from Cambridge, admitted blackmailing scores of men, women and children, into carrying out humiliating and degrading acts, which left three so traumatised they attempted to take their own lives.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/19/cambridge-graduate-used-web-abuse-humiliate-victims-jailed-32/
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

The problem is places are capped.
  • Options

50 billion euros buys a lot of coffee for Junckers
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

And Scotland pays the entire fees of EU students who are not English.

A bizarre and racist waste of taxpayers money.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Thanks BigG , was not aware of that.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Half the countries in Europe have a broadly similar healthcare system to the UK and similar split between govt-funded treatment and private treatment. So does Canada.

What words in the term 'taxation-funded' don't you understand?

Try restoring CGT levels.
    Try taking an axe to higher rate pension tax relief.
    Try eliminating the anomaly which gives some merely rich people a marginal tax rate of 65% and very rich people a marginal rate of 47%.
    Ad nauseam.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Why should check out and care workers taxes pay for wealthy students to line their pockets
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Why would the KGB or GRU deal with a low level politician when they had successfully infiltrated our security services, probably our civil service to senior levels and the R&D depts of our manufacturing industries. When you consider the history of the 70's and 80's, it is not espionage which causes damage, but that wrong decisions are made, seemingly innocently. . .
  • Options

Try eliminating the anomaly which gives some merely rich people a marginal tax rate of 65% and very rich people a marginal rate of 47%.

That is indeed complete madness, introduced by Labour. The problem is that if the government tries to fix the madness it will be accused of 'helping its rich mates', and all the other garbage the left throws around, sadly with some effect.

Perhaps if there were a bit of restraint in the hysterical criticism, it might be possible to make more progress. See GE2017 'dementia tax' for a textbook example of the genre.
  • Options
    The name barbara steinstand comes to mind for some reason.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Why should check out and care workers taxes pay for wealthy students to line their pockets
    I always find this argument somewhat disingenuous as a way of defending student fees, because it's a false dichotomy: there are other alternatives such as a graduate tax. If you want to argue based on fairness, why would you want a system that is regressive beyond a certain salary, and why should it not apply retroactively?
  • Options
    Oh dear, not the wisest tweet by Mr Bradley.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

I always find this argument somewhat disingenuous as a way of defending student fees, because it's a false dichotomy: there are other alternatives such as a graduate tax. If you want to argue based on fairness, why would you want a system that is regressive beyond a certain salary, and why should it not apply retroactively?
    That would a fine argument, if the critics were proposing those alternatives.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Thanks BigG , was not aware of that.
    And that is the fundamental problem with Corbyn's free tuition fee offer. It gives students who can afford to pay a free ride on the back of ordinary workers, it reduces the overall money available to the public sector including the NHS, and means fewer places are affordable in the competition for tax payers money.

TM has opened a very important discussion that should have happened at the GE. Also if you are going to provide free tuition fees how on earth are you going to be fair to recent students already in the system as the 100 billion to deal with that is most certainly not there.

TM does have poor communication skills and at times is hard to watch and I do not see her in place much after summer 2019 but pleased she has put this on the agenda
  • Options
    Classic SJW diversion tactics from Corbyn.

He's now the victim.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

He's now the victim.

Unfortunately that is Ben Bradley's fault.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

No it doesnt include wiping out debt of recent graduates as you are aware that wasnt in the Manifesto.

19.4 Bn minus 11.2 Bn is 8.2Bn of CT still to use add to that £6.4Bn brought in by high rate income tax So thats £14.6Bn

Then theres the Excessive pay surcharge on Companies wherby Companies paying staff more than £330,000 will pay a 2.5% surcharge while salaries above £500,000 will be charged at 5%. £2Bn

Then theres the Robin Hood Tax £3Bn

Then theres £3.7 billion from a series of reversals of Tory policy. It will repeal last year’s cut to capital gains tax, from 18% to 10% for basic rate payers, and from 28% to 20% for higher rate payers.

Scrap married persons Tax Allowance reverse IHT changes etc etc

£3.8 billion through an ‘efficiency review’ into the ‘range and scope of business tax reliefs and tax-planning structures like trusts’.

The total increases for everything circa $48 Bn

Its all there in the best Manifesto since WW2
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Is there a MP prepared to use Parliamentary Privilege to make a point about Corbyn?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

He's now the victim.

One numpty shouldn't let the eel wriggle off the hook.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

Is there a MP prepared to use Parliamentary Privilege to make a point about Corbyn?

PMQ's could be interesting
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

PMQ's could be interesting
    JC's Stasi file will clear him no doubt - nailed on proof that an innocent man would have no problem in publishing.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

My sister died of MND.It is a death where suffering is so great ,I would not wish on my worst enemy.
    This is conscious cruelty from the Tories who need to understand the severity of the many progressive long-term health conditions we face.
    It looks more of a cock up to me.

I have just signed the petition and made a financial contribution via Paypal I am sure you will want to do the same, if you haven't already, via this link.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

He's now the victim.

He just has.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

No it doesnt include wiping out debt of recent graduates as you are aware that wasnt in the Manifesto.

19.4 Bn minus 11.2 Bn is 8.2Bn of CT still to use add to that £6.4Bn brought in by high rate income tax So thats £14.6Bn

Then theres the Excessive pay surcharge on Companies wherby Companies paying staff more than £330,000 will pay a 2.5% surcharge while salaries above £500,000 will be charged at 5%. £2Bn

Then theres £3.7 billion from a series of reversals of Tory policy. It will repeal last year’s cut to capital gains tax, from 18% to 10% for basic rate payers, and from 28% to 20% for higher rate payers.

£3.8 billion through an ‘efficiency review’ into the ‘range and scope of business tax reliefs and tax-planning structures like trusts’.

Well that's not just good enough. Why should those students who have been saddled with debt be left out of this largesse? I'm sure Jezza promised something to them during the campaign. There's enough money after all, as your post makes clear.

I really don't see why they should be left out.

• Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

He's now the victim.

He just has.
    So has Ben Wallace.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

I got him confused with the Labour MP of similar name... (Bradshaw?) and thought wow it’s really bad when your own party are calling you a spy.

Corbyn should sue him and the Sun and say he will give the money to a veterans charity.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

That would a fine argument, if the critics were proposing those alternatives.
    I think people should be able to defend their position, regardless of how much support alternatives have
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Which of Labour Tax rises do you refer to I listed them 10 mins ago.

Cant see the average check out and care workers being too badly effected and many will have kids with aspirations to attend University who may accumulate massive debts
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I got him confused with the Labour MP of similar name... (Bradshaw?) and thought wow it’s really bad when your own party are calling you a spy.

Corbyn should sue him and the Sun and say he will give the money to a veterans charity.
    What about the Telegraph and the Daily Mail?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Well that's not just good enough. Why should those students who have been saddled with debt be left out of this largesse? I'm sure Jezza promised something to them during the campaign. There's enough money after all, as your post makes clear.

I really don't see why they should be left out.

You have to start somewhere. Perfection , good and all that.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    rkrkrk said:

Yeah, but it would be the IRA veterans... ;)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Not the best if you're paying the £48bn.

But, let's assume for the sake of argument that billions of tax revenue would be raised with no economic ill effects, there would surely be bigger priorities than student fees and grants. It's a rather frivolous way of spending £11 bn, IMHO.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Have they said it too and incautiously?
    Then absolutely - get them in on it as well. Deep pockets at the Mail, although Telegraph I think maybe not so much.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Cant see the average check out and care workers being too badly effected and many will have kids with aspirations to attend University who may accumulate massive debts
    Those that can afford to pay should pay and the children of check out and care workers are exactly the people who should go but risk being stopped due to a cap in numbers that will follow free tuition for all.

As for your figures they have been debunked by the IFS
  • Options

TGOHF said:

He's now the victim.

So you dont agree Mr Corbyn had "sold British secrets to foreign agents". As tweeted by the MP for Mansfield
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

TGOHF said:

He's now the victim.

Had to click the tweet to realise he is the Rt. Hon for Mansfield and not Exeter. Two slightly differing places...
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

As mentioned - his stasi file can be published and clear all this up.

• Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Then absolutely - get them in on it as well. Deep pockets at the Mail, although Telegraph I think maybe not so much.
    I am pretty certain every newspaper and Sky News have repeated the allegations in one form or another, with more or less allegedly in their pieces.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

But, let's assume for the sake of argument that billions of tax revenue would be raised with no economic ill effects, there would surely be bigger priorities than student fees and grants. It's a rather frivolous way of spending £11 bn, IMHO.
    20Bn for NHS is the biggest commitment.

i would agree £11Bn is ambitious but we cant go on giving our brightest and best a mountain of personal debt IMO
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848
    rkrkrk said:

The Felons Club?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

i would agree £11Bn is ambitious but we cant go on giving our brightest and best a mountain of personal debt IMO
    What about the other the ~40% that go to uni who aren't the brightest and best?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Yeah, but it would be the IRA veterans... ;)
    Zing!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

He's now the victim.

Had to click the tweet to realise he is the Rt. Hon for Mansfield and not Exeter. Two slightly differing places...
    Not sure he is a Rt Hon yet
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Those that can afford to pay should pay and the children of check out and care workers are exactly the people who should go but risk being stopped due to a cap in numbers that will follow free tuition for all.

But you dont like the IFS do you and BTW they found the biggest Black Hole in the Tory Manifesto given they u turned on the Granny Tax
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Let us all calm down. "Instructed solicitors to write a letter about" as against "to issue proceedings" is pretty milk and water stuff. If proceedings were issued and Corbyn were to succeed (and it is 100% certain that he would) I don't see a court battle and an examination of what he was actually up to in the 1980s improving his image particularly, and it might well do harm.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

I am pretty certain every newspaper and Sky News have repeated the allegations in one form or another, with more or less allegedly in their pieces.
    IANAL but I think there is a difference between saying “the sun have reported x” and “ x is true”.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Let us all calm down. "Instructed solicitors to write a letter about" as against "to issue proceedings" is pretty milk and water stuff. If proceedings were issued and Corbyn were to succeed (and it is 100% certain that he would) I don't see a court battle and an examination of what he was actually up to in the 1980s improving his image particularly, and it might well do harm.
    I would imagine that Corbyn would just settle for an apology and maybe a small charitable donation.
    Isn’t that what the wrongly accused paedophile politician did?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    A tweet from Ben Bradley MP has vanished into the ether.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Their scum who deserve a debt mountain i suppose??
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

But you dont like the IFS do you and BTW they found the biggest Black Hole in the Tory Manifesto given they u turned on the Granny Tax
    We are not going to agree but we do often agree on our bedtimes !!!!!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2018

Your words not mine...Just saying 50% of the population going to uni is not just the brightest and best. Nor is it really a "debt mountain" for the student as has been explained many many times, as they never pay it back, it is more akin to a capped graduate tax.

If we were to learn from our European cousins, many that go to uni, don't go and live 100s of miles away from home, instead going to a uni in the nearest town or city, many go part-time around work, etc etc etc.

The model of 50% of all 18 years olds, with the vast vast majority full time living away from home is a stupid one size fits all.
  • Options

I'd disagree that the ~50% of young men and women going to university are the 'brightest and best'. The chances are that many of the brightest and best will be in that group, but there will also be many more duds.

In addition, there will be many people who did not attend university, who work hard and strive, do better than people who do go and sit in the student union all day, and should not have to pay for them.

There seems to be a few people on here who think a degree is necessary to do or know anything, and that if you don't have a degree you are a pleb who should just stfu and pay for others to enjoy themselves for three years. ;)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

The Felons Club?
    The Spruce?
  • Options
    Mr Corbyn would be very well advised not to sue. Litigation is costly, time consuming and hard to control. I have no idea whether these allegations are true. From what I have seen they seem pretty thin, with those making them looking as if they are seeking to make bricks out of straw.

But....but.....such litigation gives the defendants the opportunity to inquire into all sorts of things Mr Corbyn has said and done which may be relevant so unless he is absolutely certain that there is nothing in his history which might come back to bite him, he might be better ignoring it.

The history of politicians suing for libel is not a happy one.

Plus of course an MP could repeat the allegations in the House and any newspaper reporting that comment would have a defence.

Of course if the aim is simply to close down the story rather than establishing that it is unequivocally not true, threatening letters work very well.

Personally, as someone who is not a fan of Corbyn, I think the way to attack him/his policies is to do so on the basis of what is known about his current approach rather than on the basis of Cold War stories which do not seem to have much resonance, at least on the basis of what is currently known.

The next election will be about what sort of Britain we will have in the future not about what people did or said decades earlier. For good or ill.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

Or the 60% who don't bother with it at all?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Just beginning to wonder, if all these attacks on Corbyn are a precursor to another GE. Not even TMay would be stupid enough to do that again. ... would she...
  • Options

Your words not mine...Just saying 50% of the population going to uni is just the brightest and best. Nor is it really a "debt mountain" for the student as has been explained many many times.
    "Just saying 50% of the population going to uni is just the brightest and best."

Nope. Sadly, it doesn't work that way.
    1) Many courses will let virtually anyone on as they need to fill their places;
    2) Many bright people choose not to go to uni, and to go into the wonderful world of work instead. In many cases, that might be a more sensible choice than getting a poor degree from a poor university.

(My nephew - a bright lad with good A-levels - made exactly that choice. He is thriving in a good job - obtained through his own hard work - and progressing his career as many of his friends are struggling at uni).
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear Mrs May

Love

Jezza

The best manifesto since World War Two? Does that include 1945?

And it contained very few Corbynite proposals. It states that Trident will be renewed for example. No mention of lifting the Tory ceiling on welfare. It also says that 95% of voters will pay no higher income tax or NI. Those things that were promised cannot be paid for.

• Options

Your words not mine...Just saying 50% of the population going to uni is just the brightest and best. Nor is it really a "debt mountain" for the student as has been explained many many times.
    "Just saying 50% of the population going to uni is just the brightest and best."

2) Many bright people choose not to go to uni, and to go into the wonderful world of work instead. In many cases, that might be a more sensible choice than getting a poor degree from a poor university.

(My nephew - a bright lad with good A-levels - made exactly that choice. He is thriving in a good job - obtained through his own hard work - and progressing his career as many of his friends are struggling at uni).
    Typo from me...I meant to say NOT JUST the brightest and best.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    rkrkrk said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

I would imagine that Corbyn would just settle for an apology and maybe a small charitable donation.
    Yes, I think that is right.

Point made, and you look graceful in victory.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Just beginning to wonder, if all these attacks on Corbyn are a precursor to another GE. Not even TMay would be stupid enough to do that again. ... would she...

No
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I'd disagree that the ~50% of young men and women going to university are the 'brightest and best'. The chances are that many of the brightest and best will be in that group, but there will also be many more duds.

In addition, there will be many people who did not attend university, who work hard and strive, do better than people who do go and sit in the student union all day, and should not have to pay for them.

There seems to be a few people on here who think a degree is necessary to do or know anything, and that if you don't have a degree you are a pleb who should just stfu and pay for others to enjoy themselves for three years. ;)
    I got my degree via the OU when I was 42, so I have a foot in both camps :).

One of the things that always irks me is the lazy 'boomers got free university education' meme. They didn't. Us non-graduates subsidised them via the tax system. This was not too iniquitous as relatively few people went to university (most didn't need to, as social mobility was still a thing - I prospered with mere A-levels).

Expanding the HE system was daft - graduates used to be valued for their rarity. Now they're as cheap as chips.
  • Options

Typo from me...I meant to say NOT JUST the brightest and best.
    Cool. Thought it was a little odd.
  • Options
    See Great Ormond Street are going to reverse their decision to return the £530,000 from the President's club
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Not her decision though, is it? There is every sign that Nick Timothy is regaining his political mojo.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    I agree! Well done Iceland for putting supporters of child mutilation on notice. Once the child is an adult, they can have it done if it is important to them.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

The tweet no longer exists.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Fine and dandy, if the other party is willing to make the apology and the donation. Not so good if his response is "come on, if you think you're 'ard enough."
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

OchEye said:

No
    Who knows? I expect she will do whatever is necessary to stay in power.
This discussion has been closed.