Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump critic Mitt Romney could prove problematical for Trump i

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited February 2018

PClipp said:

Anorak said:

Interestingly this came up in the 1975 campaign too. Watch Heath's answer from 15:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozfrKbJk_Qw

Ain't the internet grand :)

The level of debate in that is astounding, and puts present-day politicians to shame.
    Looking back, Heath was really a very good debater and Conservative leader. Shame he was undermined by Thatcher and her gang.
    Heath undermined himself by losing three out of four general elections.
    I can see why PClipp likes him. :p
  • Options
    Corbyn losing his rag at questions from journalists about the newspaper allegations so much so that he disappeared rapidly into his car to avoid any further questions.

This is not going away much as he would like it to

Featuring on Sky, even with a debate, but studiously not reported by the BBC

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2018
    rkrkrk said:

I’d encourage you to read the speech. It’s a very sensible diagnosis of the challenges our economy faces. He certainly isn’t talking about killing the city here...
    [snip]

Yes he is. He wants to kill the City and replace it with state-directed 'investment'. It's a standard theme from the naive left, and has invariably been an unmitigated disaster on the many times it has been tried, here and everywhere else in the world. This is not surprising, of course; if you start directing capital for political reasons or because of some bureaucrat's inevitably flawed model, you'll misallocate capital, or what's left of it after the rush to get money out of the UK.

We've been through all this in the 1960s and 1970s. Corbyn has learnt nothing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

PClipp said:

Anorak said:

Interestingly this came up in the 1975 campaign too. Watch Heath's answer from 15:30.

The level of debate in that is astounding, and puts present-day politicians to shame.
    Looking back, Heath was really a very good debater and Conservative leader. Shame he was undermined by Thatcher and her gang.
    And by continuing to sit in the House for ever, whilst giving a performance as The Incredible Sulk....
  • Options

PClipp said:

Anorak said:

And by continuing to sit in the House for ever, whilst giving a performance as The Incredible Sulk....
    Rather than editing the Evening Standard
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,951
    For which the blame lies with the DUP and Sinn Fein and their refusal to return to powersharing
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

For which the blame lies with the DUP and Sinn Fein and their refusal to return to powersharing
    Exactly
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    Pong said:
    Utter nonsense
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,951
    edited February 2018
    Andrew said:

Romney perhaps challenging Trump for the nomination? Been a while since there's been a serious challenge to a sitting president - both of them (Carter and Ford) were damaged by the process in the subsequent election.

Pat Buchanan also had a reasonably strong challenge to Bush Snr in the 1992 GOP primaries which led to his notorious 'culture war' speech at the Republican convention that year

http://www.americanyawp.com/reader/29-the-triumph-of-the-right/pat-buchanan-on-the-culture-war-1992/
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:
    Is he saying much different to what Cameron + Osborne were saying in 2010 about rebalancing the economy away from finance? Stronger language maybe.

Personally I think we haven’t yet reformed sufficiently to stop the kind of systematic failings which led to the previous crisis.
    There’s a difference between wishing to rebalance the economy away from financial services over time, and wishing to kill the City (and its £100bn annual tax revenues) while simultaneously promising massive extra government spending.

Corbyn’s annual black hole is now around £200bn, or £1trn over the life of a Parliament. Or £3trn over a Parliament using Gordon Brown’s favoured method of aggregating annual increases from a zero base.
    How does that compare with the black hole (or pot of gold) from Tory Brexit?
    In the short term we will probably be about level, as we lose a few billion in revenue but don’t have to pay it to the EU. In the medium term it should be net positive for the government as business adjust.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited February 2018
    I was asked the other day what Corbyn would be like as PM.

In my view, he would be quite ineffectual, although his legacy would be disastrous. McDonnell would be the de facto Prime Minister, and Corbyn would make nice speeches to receptive (anti-Western, anti-capitalist) audiences. In other words, he will simply carry on campaigning and leave the graft to others.

Trump is the model, albeit a more grotesque and provocative, right wing version.

You can also anticipate some of the worst ailments of modern Labour (bullying, anti-Semitism etc) to manifest itself in the highest forms of government, and when challenged Corbyn will just deny responsibility and perhaps smile wanly.

As we see with Trump, and Brexit, the media are struggling to hold politicians to account - with the exception, perhaps, of cases of criminal allegations - and maybe not even in those circumstances.

The only thing worse than a May premiership would be a Corbyn one.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    I am 99% sure that Mitt Romney will not run against Trump in 2020; Kasich on the other hand will. Mitt might try and be pally with McCain (if still there), Graham and other more moderate GOPers on immigration, though, and may try and push that through the Senate if the Dems win the House. I can also see a scenario where Mitt becomes Minority Leader if (and it would have to be a HUGE if) he gets in the Senate AND GOP lose the senate (which I think is less than 10% chance)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Pong said:

Yup.

The tory Brexiteers tore up the GFA.
    Eh? I appreciate that you normally work backwards from anti-Tory prejudice to your conclusion, but, even by your standards, blaming Tory Brexiteers for an impasse which started with a row over the Renewable Heat scheme and foundered on questions of the Irish language is going it a bit.
  • Options

Pong said:

Yup.

Eh? I appreciate that you normally work backwards from anti-Tory prejudice to your conclusion, but, even by your standards, blaming Tory Brexiteers for an impasse which started with a row over the Renewable Heat scheme and foundered on questions of the Irish language is going it a bit.
    Isn’t the point that returning to Direct Rule rather suits the DUP who, after all, hold power at Westminster?
  • Options

stevef said:

This is a thread on America, Trump and Mitt Romney, and nearly every post is on Brexit and the Customs Union?

Would you prefer every post to be on how crap Corbyn is?
    Can we?
  • Options

PClipp said:

Anorak said:

Rather than editing the Evening Standard
    Arf!
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Pong said:

Yup.

Isn’t the point that returning to Direct Rule rather suits the DUP who, after all, hold power at Westminster?
    If it does suit them (which I'm not sure is the case, but might be), that's still got absolutely nothing to do with 'tory Brexiteers [who] tore up the GFA.'
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Pong said:

Yup.

If both main parties won't form an Executive together, then it's hard to see what alternative there is.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    148grss said:

I am 99% sure that Mitt Romney will not run against Trump in 2020; Kasich on the other hand will. Mitt might try and be pally with McCain (if still there), Graham and other more moderate GOPers on immigration, though, and may try and push that through the Senate if the Dems win the House. I can also see a scenario where Mitt becomes Minority Leader if (and it would have to be a HUGE if) he gets in the Senate AND GOP lose the senate (which I think is less than 10% chance)

The Republicans are more likely to increase their tally in the Senate, especially as Kevin Cramer is standing against Heidi Heitkamp in North Dakota.

Realistically, the only way the Dems could hope to take the Senate would be if McCain were to pass away, opening up a concurrent Special Election in Arizona.

Otherwise, the Dems will likely lose North Dakota and Missouri, with Indiana a 50:50 shot too. (I suspect Manchin will hang on in West Virginia, as he is personally very popular, but even so, that's at risk to them too.)

Even if the Dems limit their losses to two, that makes the Senate 53:47 to the Republicans.

What could the Dems gain to even the score? Well, Arizona is a possible, and Nevada a moderately likely. (Tennessee I would venture is extremely unlikely.)

Altogether, I would reckon the Republicans will likely end up +1 or +2 from the election.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    A rare mis-step.

He's a very successful businessman.
    KFC could use one of those right now.
    I blame DHL, not KFC.

Having never eaten in a KFC I can't get excited.
    KFC and Nandos, keeping the riff raff out of decent chain establishments since 2010....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:
    Is he saying much different to what Cameron + Osborne were saying in 2010 about rebalancing the economy away from finance? Stronger language maybe.

Personally I think we haven’t yet reformed sufficiently to stop the kind of systematic failings which led to the previous crisis.
    There’s a difference between wishing to rebalance the economy away from financial services over time, and wishing to kill the City (and its £100bn annual tax revenues) while simultaneously promising massive extra government spending.

Corbyn’s annual black hole is now around £200bn, or £1trn over the life of a Parliament. Or £3trn over a Parliament using Gordon Brown’s favoured method of aggregating annual increases from a zero base.
    In the short term we will probably be about level, as we lose a few billion in revenue but don’t have to pay it to the EU. In the medium term it should be net positive for the government as business adjust.
    In the medium term, the dominant factor in Britain's economic success will be whether we are led by Corbyn or not.
  • Options
    Penny Mordaunt so impressive on the Oxfam scandal in the HOC just now
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

If both main parties won't form an Executive together, then it's hard to see what alternative there is.
    It takes two to tango. As I say, perhaps the DUP prefer it this way.

Is there anyone out there who can explain what is so objectionable about some kind of provision for Gaelic in the land of its birth?
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn threatens to make bankers 'servants of industry' in fresh attack on the City

I would have thought Jezza was against all forms of serfdom?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

tlg86 said:
    A rare mis-step.

I blame DHL, not KFC.

KFC and Nandos, keeping the riff raff out of decent chain establishments since 2010....
    "decent chain establishments"

Does not compute.
  • Options
    When I saw this, I thought I had misread the headline..I had to reread it 2-3 times to convince myself I had read it correctly.

China has launched its latest crackdown against a phenomenon which just won't seem to die in rural areas - funeral strippers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/20/china-wages-war-funeral-strippers/

• Options
    Anorak said:

tlg86 said:
    A rare mis-step.

I blame DHL, not KFC.

Does not compute.
    There are a lot of up-market chain eateries now: Hix, the Ivy, various expensive burger and ethnic food chains.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

So, using your figures, that is an extra £1 trillion to the £1 trillion that the Tories have added since 2010. Must be great to be a financial genius like Osborne....
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn threatens to make bankers 'servants of industry' in fresh attack on the City

I would have thought Jezza was against all forms of serfdom?

He may have a problem when they have disappeared to Paris, Frankfurt, New York and Hong Kong on the day he takes office
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

In the medium term, the dominant factor in Britain's economic success will be whether we are led by Corbyn or not.
    There is indeed that known unknown. While Brexit + sensible government will likely be positive, Brexit + Corbyn will be a nightmare.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

Sack all the MLAs? If they know their income is disappearing, they might suddenly find an impetus to seek a deal.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

tlg86 said:
    A rare mis-step.

I blame DHL, not KFC.

Does not compute.
    There are a lot of up-market chain eateries now: Hix, the Ivy, various expensive burger and ethnic food chains.
    upmarket ≠ decent

But I'll accept that some of them are almost ok.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, he'll claim he's rebalanced the economy by relatively increasing the size of the manufacturing sector because the financial sector, and its taxes, will have fled to countries governed by non-socialists.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

So, using your figures, that is an extra £1 trillion to the £1 trillion that the Tories have added since 2010. Must be great to be a financial genius like Osborne....
    Are you suggesting that Osborne should have cut spending and raised taxes by much more than he did? If so, I agree with you.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

Not sure it was possible to cut the deficit to zero on day 1.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Uh oh .. Justin Forsyth.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    edited February 2018

When I saw this, I thought I had misread the headline..I had to reread it 2-3 times to convince myself I had read it correctly.

China has launched its latest crackdown against a phenomenon which just won't seem to die in rural areas - funeral strippers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/20/china-wages-war-funeral-strippers/

Was common in Taiwan 25 years ago too. Caused extreme culture shock to my innocent eyes.

ps, by tradition a cash donation is made to attend a funeral. Better show bigger crowd.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2018

Pong said:

Yup.

meh. Proxy issues.

The balance of power in westminster has fundamentally shifted, if you haven't noticed.

Why wouldn't they go in for the kill when they have the chance?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    RobD said:

PClipp said:

Anorak said:

I can see why PClipp likes him. :p
    He has that in his favour too, of course! But I was really thinking about the way he presented his case in this You Tube programme. Very different from the way top Tories behave nowadays. In terms of his policies, he was a disaster, of course. But then all the Tories at that time were.

• Options
    Mr. Dean/Mr. Urquhart, the Greeks used to have funereal combats. Many think the Roman gladiatorial games arose from such origins.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

Is there anyone out there who can explain what is so objectionable about some kind of provision for Gaelic in the land of its birth?
    There is a great deal of provision for Gaelic in Northern Ireland. The areas of dispute are over things like reserving public sector jobs for Gaelic speakers, bilingual road signs, imposing a legal obligation on all public bodies to promote the use of the language etc.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Yup.

meh. Proxy issues.

The balance of power in westminster has fundamentally shifted, if you haven't noticed.

Why wouldn't they go in for the kill when they have the chance?
    The dispute between Sinn Fein and the DUP began long before the 2017 election result.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

Mr. Dean/Mr. Urquhart, the Greeks used to have funereal combats. Many think the Roman gladiatorial games arose from such origins.

Indeed it was not just strippers. Movies, karaoke, Chinese opera, beer food, etc, Anything to draw a crowd and give "face" to the dead, and funding for the relatives.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

Sack all the MLAs? If they know their income is disappearing, they might suddenly find an impetus to seek a deal.
    They should certainly have their salaries suspended, when the Assembly is not functioning.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

You can also anticipate some of the worst ailments of modern Labour (bullying, anti-Semitism etc) to manifest itself in the highest forms of government, and when challenged Corbyn will just deny responsibility and perhaps smile wanly. one.

He'd start by saying that no such things are happening, and then when it became undeniable he'd switch to claiming that nobody had ever done more to combat such things, and finally he'd blame Theresa May for Labour's anti-semitism.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

There is a great deal of provision for Gaelic in Northern Ireland. The areas of dispute are over things like reserving public sector jobs for Gaelic speakers, bilingual road signs, imposing a legal obligation on all public bodies to promote the use of the language etc.
    It's a real shame cuts haven't been directed at such wheezes in Wales. The bilingual road signs are an absolute nonsense....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

It's a real shame cuts haven't been directed at such wheezes in Wales. The bilingual road signs are an absolute nonsense....
    It's a form of protectionism. You have to be bilingual for many roles in the WA and wider public sector. Pointless really. There are only two areas of Wales where more people know Welsh than don't - Gwynedd and Anglesey. There are only five where Welsh speakers (in the loosest sense of the word) are more than a quarter of the population. In the populous South East it's less than 10%.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

The land of its birth ? Almost all of the UK once spoke only Celtic languages.

Welsh & Scots Gaelic speakers no doubt smile at the way the English beatifically believe they have no responsibility for suppression of other peoples’ languages. It is just something the nasty DUP do.

The DUP might be bigots, but they are nothing like the English-language bigots who have moved to rural Wales and destroyed the heartlands of Welsh Culture over the last twenty years.
  • Options
    Apologies if already posted

UK will 'have to have a customs union' post-Brexit, says Corbyn

Labour leader says access to European markets and no hard border in Northern Ireland are key to Labour’s position

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/20/uk-will-have-to-have-a-customs-union-post-brexit-says-corbyn
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Quick, equal marriage legislation and legalised abortion.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

It is a disgrace that they are only limited to Wales.

There should be Welsh language signs in the Borders. Shrewsbury should be Amwythig, Hereford Henffordd, and so on.
  • Options

Apologies if already posted

UK will 'have to have a customs union' post-Brexit, says Corbyn

Labour leader says access to European markets and no hard border in Northern Ireland are key to Labour’s position

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/20/uk-will-have-to-have-a-customs-union-post-brexit-says-corbyn

“So what we are determined to achieve is a tariff-free trade relationship with Europe, but also to say that we’re not proposing a deregulation of our economy to undercut Europe, and we’re not proposing a sweetheart deal with the USA or anyone else which would result in deregulation, for example through agriculture. We’re very determined to achieve that.”

(That's Corbyn, not Theresa May, but their positions are identical.)
  • Options
    Asked how Labour’s position on Brexit differed to that of the government, Corbyn said: “We have to have access to European markets, we have to have a customs union that makes sure we can continue that trade, particularly between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. That is key to it.”

He means a customs arrangement, doesn't he? He doesn't know what a customs union is.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That'd get the DUP back to the negotiating table!
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Asked how Labour’s position on Brexit differed to that of the government, Corbyn said: “We have to have access to European markets, we have to have a customs union that makes sure we can continue that trade, particularly between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. That is key to it.”

He means a customs arrangement, doesn't he? He doesn't know what a customs union is.

We have politicians that willfully confuse membership of the Single Market with 'access to the Single Market', what do you expect? If nothing else, the EUref has confirmed that we're being led by idiots.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    edited February 2018

A customs arrangement isn't a thing, or isn't really applicable to the problems of the Irish border.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/calculation-customs-duties/rules-origin/general-aspects-preferential-origin/arrangements-list_en
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Genuinely though, perpetual gridlock at Stormont - plus the historic desire not to rock the boat - mean that some legislation is far behind even on less problematic subjects.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

Or to a General Election...
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    Wow. The Rotherham report was an undercount:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-south-yorkshire-43126804
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    And only 4 convictions so far.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

It's not as if Sinn Fein would be in favour either.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Germany is going to the dogs:
    https://twitter.com/HandelsblattGE/status/965988569616715776
  • Options
    If Direct Rule of Northern Ireland turns out to be a success then we should look at doing the same for Scotland.
  • Options
    Mr. Elliot, indeed, it's horrendous, and far from the only case of its type.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

There should be Welsh language signs in the Borders. Shrewsbury should be Amwythig, Hereford Henffordd, and so on.
    I'm part Welsh, so much so that I even support the Welsh Rugger team.

But there is no need to mandate a language understood by a fraction of the population on official documents/signs.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

But there is no need to mandate a language understood by a fraction of the population on official documents/signs.
    I should add that I too am part Welsh - my Mum is a miner's daughter from the Rhondda. I completely agree with you.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

I should add that I too am part Welsh - my Mum is a miner's daughter from the Rhondda. I completely agree with you.
    My great grandfather was Welsh and all my children and grandchildren are Welsh.

The children and grandchildren understand and can speak Welsh at various degrees but the one thing we have in common and indeed with the vast majority, Independence is not remotely on the agenda
  • Options
    ITV Wales reporting that there are 75 paedophile hunter groups operating in the UK many in cooperation with the Police. The programme showed them making a citizens arrest and handing the accused over to the police with the documentation they had collected and the subsequent conviction of the accused

Interesting as I thought hunter groups were illegal
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Yup.

It is easy, and fun, to troll Sinn Fein pro-Irish languagers by getting someone who actually knows the language to address them in it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Elliot said:

And only 4 convictions so far.

According to Wiki there have been 30 convictions to date spread over 7 trials.
  • Options
    And another one.

I really do fear for test cricket.

Alex Hales: England ODI opener to play only white-ball cricket for Nottinghamshire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43127012
  • Options

And another one.

Alex Hales: England ODI opener to play only white-ball cricket for Nottinghamshire

And Adil Rashid, two England players opting out of first class cricket next year. Not good at all for the Test team.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

ITV Wales reporting that there are 75 paedophile hunter groups operating in the UK many in cooperation with the Police. The programme showed them making a citizens arrest and handing the accused over to the police with the documentation they had collected and the subsequent conviction of the accused

They could easily stray into illegality by counselling or procuring the very offences they are trying to prevent, but not illegal per se. I think the police have gone from saying very loudly they are a bad idea to keeping rather quiet about it, presumably because they are doing a job which would either consume huge police resources, or not get done at all.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

And another one.

And Adil Rashid, two England players opting out of first class cricket next year. Not good at all for the Test team.
    I think Jos Buttler will be the next one.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729

Sandpit said:

And another one.

I'm not bothered about Buttler or Hales - neither would be even remotely close to my Test Team of choice - but Rashid is a shame. The problem is potentially that other 'emerging' talents focus on white-ball to the detriment of red-ball cricket given this leadership. It would be a great shame if Curran (Tom) followed a path similar to that of Dernbach, rather than focused on red-ball cricket and aimed to be the next Jimmy Anderson in 10years time.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The Tories need to drop all of this Corbyn was a spy rubbish. The Dems are trying (and failing) with that line against Trump. It's complete bullshit and no one cares what Jez may or may not have done 40 years ago.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

They could easily stray into illegality by counselling or procuring the very offences they are trying to prevent, but not illegal per se. I think the police have gone from saying very loudly they are a bad idea to keeping rather quiet about it, presumably because they are doing a job which would either consume huge police resources, or not get done at all.
    They were cooperating with them in South Wales
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Sandpit said:

And another one.

I'm not bothered about Buttler or Hales - neither would be even remotely close to my Test Team of choice - but Rashid is a shame. The problem is potentially that other 'emerging' talents focus on white-ball to the detriment of red-ball cricket given this leadership. It would be a great shame if Curran (Tom) followed a path similar to that of Dernbach, rather than focused on red-ball cricket and aimed to be the next Jimmy Anderson in 10years time.
    I think both Hales and Buttler had the potential to be fine Test Match players but it is not going to happen. Test cricket is the weaker for it. Too much talent thinking the easy money is elsewhere.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The Tories need to drop all of this Corbyn was a spy rubbish. The Dems are trying (and failing) with that line against Trump. It's complete bullshit and no one cares what Jez may or may not have done 40 years ago.

You mean the Times, Telegraph, Mail and Sun newspapers
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Sandpit said:

And another one.

Good point about the affect on the upcoming players. Sadly, a sportsman’s career is a short one, and with an England central Test contract paying £80k a year or a good IPL contact paying $1m for two months it’s obvious which the players will prioritise.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Lennon said:

Sandpit said:

And another one.

Good point about the affect on the upcoming players. Sadly, a sportsman’s career is a short one, and with an England central Test contract paying £80k a year or a good IPL contact paying $1m for two months it’s obvious which the players will prioritise.
    Ben Stokes shows it doesn’t have to be a choice.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

I think he means the same thing as the CBI meant when they called for a customs union
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    @John_M and @Mortimer - you may be partly Welsh by ancestry, but your attitude towards the other nations and languages of these islands is 100% pig-ignorant English chauvinist.

The Welsh language and its antecedents have been spoken in Great Britain far longer than English. The Welsh language continues to be spoken by hundreds of thousands of people, and has never died out (the situation for Irish is very different). This is despite the best efforts of the government in London, which for hundreds of years conducted a campaign against the use of the language for legal, administrative and educational reasons.

The people of Wales do not need the approval of people like you to take basic steps to preserve their language and culture.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    RoyalBlue said:

@John_M and @Mortimer - you may be partly Welsh by ancestry, but your attitude towards the other nations and languages of these islands is 100% pig-ignorant English chauvinist.

The Welsh language and its antecedents have been spoken in Great Britain far longer than English. The Welsh language continues to be spoken by hundreds of thousands of people, and has never died out (the situation for Irish is very different). This is despite the best efforts of the government in London, which for hundreds of years conducted a campaign against the use of the language for legal, administrative and educational reasons.

The people of Wales do not need the approval of people like you to take basic steps to preserve their language and culture.

"Betamax is superior in quality to VHS"

If people want to talk in Welsh, Gaylick or Klingon - bully for them.

The taxpayer shouldn't be funding novelty road signs to pander to sentiment.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

The language and culture in Wales is fine and is widely accepted. Independence, however, is not hence the poor showing of Plaid Cymru
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not really about whether he passed on secrets or not - it's about his character.

And he's appearing shifty and evasive - not a good look.

This is a long game and it's working so far - the story is continuing to run - and will do as long as he cowers behind not releasing his Stasi file.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

Not really about whether he passed on secrets or not - it's about his character.

This is a long game and it's working so far - the story is continuing to run - and will do as long as he cowers behind not releasing his Stasi file.
    I don't know how well it is working really. I was already not a fan of Corbyn but the whole thing just seemed a bit silly so I've not really bothered to keep up with events. Sure it's being talked about, but is it really being effective? I have no idea.
  • Options
    Pong said:
    Lol, some people take way too many drugs!

Oh, and Mixmag is still going, I used to buy that 25 years ago!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

I don't know how well it is working really. I was already not a fan of Corbyn but the whole thing just seemed a bit silly so I've not really bothered to keep up with events. Sure it's being talked about, but is it really being effective? I have no idea.
    He's panicking and turning on the press themselves whilst refusing to answer questions. Doomed strategy.

He's a busted flush - peak Corbyn has long since passed.

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/966012420698333185
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

Corbyn is on an extended job interview to be PM. Plenty of Labour voters who still have reservations about the man. The longer this festers, the more his card gets marked....

Although his supporters seems to have a huge blind spot about this.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

None of it surprises me but whether it is a problem for him time will tell
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

This is just dead history to so many people, simply unimaginable. Seems to me there's more likelihood of turning him into even more of a hero.

Bit like portraying Mr Cameron against that car - Quattro?

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

I’d encourage you to read the speech. It’s a very sensible diagnosis of the challenges our economy faces. He certainly isn’t talking about killing the city here:

“finance has a central and essential role to play in a functioning economy.”
    “Without access to finance, how would the entrepreneur or business person just starting out find the means to get their idea off the ground?

How would a growing company afford new equipment that will make their business more productive and more profitable? Or expand their activities by opening new premises?

Finance is the grease that oils the wheels of our economy, and without it, economic activity would seize up.”

This paragraph is on the money for me:

“We know the results, money flows away from the productive activities that you are engaged in that create jobs and exports to instead inflate asset prices, concentrating money in the hands of a few owners, not producers, while households become more reliant on borrowing.

And we end up with an economy with more risk, more volatility and more instability.”
    His actions, and those of his henchman McDonnell, give the impression of wanting to drive the money lenders out of the temple. One set-piece speech doesn’t undo 30 years of protesting against the evil capitalist spivs and bankers.
    Glad you liked the speech. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    AnneJGP said:

TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

This is just dead history to so many people, simply unimaginable. Seems to me there's more likelihood of turning him into even more of a hero.

Good evening, everybody.
    Labour portrayed Cameron as the dashing good guy - daft idiots.

Not many films have a hero selling secrets to the murderous commies.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    TGOHF said:

AnneJGP said:

TGOHF said:

MaxPB said:

Good evening, everybody.
    Labour portrayed Cameron as the dashing good guy - daft idiots.

Not many films have a hero selling secrets to the murderous commies.
This discussion has been closed.