Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay in third place as “best PM” in latest YouGov London poll

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

The PM was referring to the Philip Greens and the Richard Bransons, the Googles and the Facebooks who make huge amounts of money from the UK yet manage to pay very little in taxes.

She wasn't though.

Read the speech. The line has no connection to any of the text around it.

It could have been preceded with "Bananas will no longer be straight" and followed by "British passports will be blue" and it would have made as much sense. In fact that would have got a bigger cheer
    lets face it - she could have announced a new bypass for Royston Vasey and the remainers would have taken offence at it for an unfounded attack on their patriotism.

BREXIT means Royston Vasey BREXIT
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Back on topic and the QMUL poll breaks down the numbers between Inner and Outer London giving labour a 67-17 lead over the Conservatives in Inner London and a 47-34 lead in Outer London.

The swing to Labour is therefore much greater in Inner than Outer London and suggests the Conservatives could struggle to hold both Wandsworth and Westminster but should be fine in places like Bexley and Hillingdon.

The LDs are polling close to their 2014 numbers but doing better in Outer than Inner London so that raises the prospects of taking both Kingston and Richmond from the Conservatives.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

THE FIGURES IN THE TITLE OF THE THREAD ARE INCORRECT !!

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2018/hss/conservatives-heading-for-defeat-in-at-least-three-flagship-london-boroughs-in-forthcoming-local-elections-.html

The data tables are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3f9udshnu97w0y/QueenMary_LondonResults_Feb18_VI.pdf?dl=0

The figures for the GE and local elections need to be transposed.

Fixed it now, ta.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Thank You OGH. Thought this was worth getting right.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2018

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 43% (+3)
    CON: 42% (+1)
    LDEM: 7% (-1)
    UKIP: 3% (-1)
    GRN: 2% (-1)

via @ICMResearch

Commie Spy bounce

Baxter, current boundaries:

Lab 294
    Con 293
    LD 12
    SNP 29

Baxter, new boundaries:

Con 287
    Lab 256
    LD 6
    SNP 31
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

'Citizens of nowhere' referred to people who don't pay their taxes.

Bollocks
    The PM was referring to the Philip Greens and the Richard Bransons, the Googles and the Facebooks who make huge amounts of money from the UK yet manage to pay very little in taxes.

And she was completely right.
    But it was this bit just before it that irked many

if you believe you’re a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere. You don’t understand what the very word ‘citizenship’ means.

For those of us who are very proud of our Britishness but have a very internationalist outlook it jarred very badly.

The fact I said at the time it had echoes of 'rootless cosmopolitans' was not an auspicious saying.
    I’m one of those who’s a Brit abroad making his way somewhere else in the world. That’s not who she was getting at.

Mrs May was highlighting individuals and companies who are making huge amounts of money in Britain but not paying taxes there. She was right to do so.

One of the massive positives from a no-deal brexit is that Google and Facebook will have to have British companies paying British taxes to the satisfaction of British tax inspectors.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

via @ICMResearch

Commie Spy bounce

Lab 294
    Con 293
    LD 12
    SNP 29

Baxter, new boundaries:

Con 287
    Lab 256
    LD 6
    SNP 31
    Good job there will be no new boundaries

Surely you mean

Commie Spy party 294
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Interesting that the Conservatives do better among both black and white working class voters than among their middle class counterparts.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

AndyJS said:

via @ICMResearch

Commie Spy bounce

Lab 294
    Con 293
    LD 12
    SNP 29

Baxter, new boundaries:

Con 287
    Lab 256
    LD 6
    SNP 31

Surely you mean

Commie Spy party 294
    Corbyn isn't anywhere near a majority, so do you see a rainbow coalition of Labour, SNP, Plaid Cymru and the Greens? Not sure what Vince Cable would do.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    edited February 2018
    Funnily enough, I would go the opposite way from the respondents in the survey. I expect Labour would negotiate a better Brexit deal and would be at least as good at protecting the country from threats. The Tory Brexit threat to the economy is probably greater than the Labour Venezuela one (the first is likely, while the second may never happen). I expect Labour to mismanage public services.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Back on topic and the QMUL poll breaks down the numbers between Inner and Outer London giving labour a 67-17 lead over the Conservatives in Inner London and a 47-34 lead in Outer London.

The swing to Labour is therefore much greater in Inner than Outer London and suggests the Conservatives could struggle to hold both Wandsworth and Westminster but should be fine in places like Bexley and Hillingdon.

The LDs are polling close to their 2014 numbers but doing better in Outer than Inner London so that raises the prospects of taking both Kingston and Richmond from the Conservatives.

London is clearly going the same way as New York, Chicago, Washington DC, Los Angeles, etc, where the Democrats usually get between 70% and 90%.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

via @ICMResearch

Commie Spy bounce

Lab 294
    Con 293
    LD 12
    SNP 29

Baxter, new boundaries:

Con 287
    Lab 256
    LD 6
    SNP 31

Surely you mean

Commie Spy party 294
    Corbyn isn't anywhere near a majority, so do you see a rainbow coalition of Labour, SNP, Plaid Cymru and the Greens? Not sure what Vince Cable would do.
    He wouldn't have to give supply to Corbyn on those numbers so I expect he wouldn't. He can't take the Tories over the line on his own either.
    Oppose Corbyn's Queen speech but state the Lib Dems will vote as they see fit on a "vote by vote" basis.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I’m one of those who’s a Brit abroad making his way somewhere else in the world. That’s not who she was getting at.

Mrs May was highlighting individuals and companies who are making huge amounts of money in Britain but not paying taxes there. She was right to do so.

One of the massive positives from a no-deal brexit is that Google and Facebook will have to have British companies paying British taxes to the satisfaction of British tax inspectors.

I would seriously doubt any Brexit scenario where Google and Facebook pay more taxes to the UK Exchequer.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

via @ICMResearch

Commie Spy bounce

Lab 294
    Con 293
    LD 12
    SNP 29

Baxter, new boundaries:

Con 287
    Lab 256
    LD 6
    SNP 31

Surely you mean

Commie Spy party 294
    Commie Spy Party and SNP would do it presuming the Irish Commie Spy party still not taking their seats

Although I do THINK Caroline Lucas is pretty much certain to get a cabinet level post if Jezza is PM
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited February 2018
    In diverse countries it is quite normal for the electorate to divide on racial, ethnic and religious lines. Why should the U.K. and especially London be any different?

This was pretty clear from the ward-by-ward results of the 2008 London mayoral election. Welcome to the future. I’m sure it’s what Roy Jenkins would have wanted.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

via @ICMResearch

Commie Spy bounce

Lab 294
    Con 293
    LD 12
    SNP 29

Baxter, new boundaries:

Con 287
    Lab 256
    LD 6
    SNP 31

Surely you mean

Commie Spy party 294
    Commie Spy Party and SNP would do it presuming the Irish Commie Spy party still not taking their seats

Although I do THINK Caroline Lucas is pretty much certain to get a cabinet level post if Jezza is PM
    Environment Secretary probably, to state the obvious.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Sean_F said:

Interesting that the Conservatives do better among both black and white working class voters than among their middle class counterparts.
    It would be even more interesting to see how those categories relate to age. I know some young white working class people who are way more enthusiastic about Corbyn than I ever remember anyone else being about any other politician. Small dataset of course.
  • Options

O/T looking at the ONS numbers, as recently as March 2015, we borrowed £91.4bn in the year. This year it will be about £38bn, which is a very rapid rate of improvement.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,305

The Tories are doomed in London. DOOMED.

So are Londoners, by the looks of it. I mean, I take it these are supposed to be sentient beings, right? And they want Corbyn as PM???
    They are not merely sentient Richard. They are a special class to whose views we are supposed to show respectful deference. Apparently.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

glw said:

So are Londoners, by the looks of it. I mean, I take it these are supposed to be sentient beings, right? And they want Corbyn as PM???
    It's the Trump phenomenon again. Another charlatan who has conned poorly educated voters into thinking he can solve their problems at the drop of a hat, when in reality he will make almost everything much worse.
    It's the fact that he's conned highly educated voters that is most worrying. They'll have a very unpleasant shock if, God forbid, he does ever make it into No 10.
    If you and your fellow Conservatives want to start making inroads with these highly educated voters, I suggest that you collectively sharpen up your offering to them. Like, for starters, making sure that none of you call them traitors, saboteurs, citizens of nowhere and such like.
    They could always try coming up with rational policies instead of nationalistic fantasy policies.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

KFC lovers are being urged not to call the police over the fried chicken "crisis".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43140836

Presumably you shouldn't call them if you find pineapple on your pizza, too.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

O/T looking at the ONS numbers, as recently as March 2015, we borrowed £91.4bn in the year. This year it will be about £38bn, which is a very rapid rate of improvement.

Despite Brexit...Because of Brexit...We haven't left yet...
  • Options

KFC lovers are being urged not to call the police over the fried chicken "crisis".

Emergency calls are reserved only for when you attend a venue that insists on playing live recordings of Radiohead....
  • Options
    The implied BAME share for the Lib Dems are also terrible
  • Options

The "chickens" you get served at KFC aren't really chickens at all. They're headless, wingless, clawless, lab-grown organisms, that get fed growth hormones through tubes going down their necks, before they get chucked into the fryer.
  • Options

glw said:

It's the Trump phenomenon again. Another charlatan who has conned poorly educated voters into thinking he can solve their problems at the drop of a hat, when in reality he will make almost everything much worse.
    It's the fact that he's conned highly educated voters that is most worrying. They'll have a very unpleasant shock if, God forbid, he does ever make it into No 10.
    If you and your fellow Conservatives want to start making inroads with these highly educated voters, I suggest that you collectively sharpen up your offering to them. Like, for starters, making sure that none of you call them traitors, saboteurs, citizens of nowhere and such like.
    They could always try coming up with rational policies instead of nationalistic fantasy policies.
    Baby steps.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Despite Brexit...Because of Brexit...We haven't left yet...
    A very solid improvement in the numbers.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited February 2018

glw said:

Baby steps.
    Every journey starts with a single step Alistair ;)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Are there no Brexit numbers in this ICM poll?
  • Options
    Bloody Royals. Republic now.

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

Brendan Cole sacked from Strictly Come Dancing after breaching protocol by waltzing with Camilla Parker Bowles

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2259805/brendan-cole-sacked-strictly-dancing-camilla-buckingham-palace/amp/
  • Options

Anyone stupid enough to do that ought to get a week in jail.
  • Options
    The little Tory bounce appears to have been reversed.

In all seriousness I have no idea what caused it in the 1st place or why there is a swingback now.

What do people think is it all just MOE
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, it's all just statistical noise. I wouldn't pay much attention to the polls.
  • Options

Are there no Brexit numbers in this ICM poll?

Only who would get a good deal on Brexit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

I would seriously doubt any Brexit scenario where Google and Facebook pay more taxes to the UK Exchequer.
    A “No-deal” scenario absolutely results in this, as does any deal with the EU that doesn’t incorporate intangibles such as software and services.
  • Options
    The Tories usually do slightly better in local elections in London than general elections, so I'm surprised if the figures are showing the opposite.
  • Options

In all seriousness I have no idea what caused it in the 1st place or why there is a swingback now.

The polling average at the moment is neck-and-neck whereas a couple of months ago there was a small Labour lead. But as you say probably not significant.
  • Options

I have little doubt labour will do well in London and a few years of momentum style local government will do the conservatives no harm as reality hits
  • Options

The parties are level-pegging.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Polling during half term - bank holidays are the same. Labour do better.

• Options
    ICM have the Lib Dems down to 7%? I mean, between a government that is paralysed by Brexit and an opposition that is nothing short of ridiculous what on earth is it going to take? It's almost as if opposing withdrawal from the EU isn't a vote winner after all.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    DavidL said:

ICM have the Lib Dems down to 7%? I mean, between a government that is paralysed by Brexit and an opposition that is nothing short of ridiculous what on earth is it going to take? It's almost as if opposing withdrawal from the EU isn't a vote winner after all.

Interesting that most Remainers seem to supporting Labour instead of the LDs despite the fact that Corbyn has always been one of the most Eurosceptic Labour MPs, and he arguably contributed to Leave winning the referendum by saying he was 70% in favour of Remain and 30% Leave, etc.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

'Citizens of nowhere' referred to people who don't pay their taxes.

Bollocks

And she was completely right.
    But it was this bit just before it that irked many

if you believe you’re a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere. You don’t understand what the very word ‘citizenship’ means.

For those of us who are very proud of our Britishness but have a very internationalist outlook it jarred very badly.

The fact I said at the time it had echoes of 'rootless cosmopolitans' was not an auspicious saying.
    You weren't alone at the time...
    https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/878637712814821376
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I quite agree - pineapple on pizza is a crime against society.
  • Options
    Reading the story, I have a feeling you're blaming the wrong Queen...
  • Options

TSE = Commie Spy!

• Options
    AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

Interesting that most Remainers seem to supporting Labour instead of the LDs despite the fact that Corbyn has always been one of the most Eurosceptic Labour MPs, and he arguably contributed to Leave winning the referendum by saying he was 70% in favour of Remain and 30% Leave, etc.
    I agree, its weird. And a huge fail for the Lib Dems. Why are they not screaming this from the rooftops?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    DavidL said:

If we believed that the hot air about Brexit from the media and politicians represented how people feel, then I would expect both the Lib Dems and UKIP to be doing better than they are. I suspect that most of the public are in the "just get on with it" camp.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Reading the story, I have a feeling you're blaming the wrong Queen...
    Shirley Ballas is beneath my contempt.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

I agree, its weird. And a huge fail for the Lib Dems. Why are they not screaming this from the rooftops?
    Wrong messenger.

The Lib Dems’ polling went into the toilet because of tuition fees, so who best to revive their fortunes ? The man who instigated the tuition fee increase.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/312/079/177.jpg_large
  • Options
    Really excellent productivity figures today by the way: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43140646

I am at a loss, however, to explain relatively modest growth of roughly 0.5% per quarter, an 88K increase in the workforce and a 0.8% increase in productivity. At the risk of being overly simplistic if the economy is growing more slowly than productivity shouldn't employment be falling?
  • Options
    glw said:

DavidL said:

If we believed that the hot air about Brexit from the media and politicians represented how people feel, then I would expect both the Lib Dems and UKIP to be doing better than they are. I suspect that most of the public are in the "just get on with it" camp.
    I agree. The very large majority seem to me to be bored to tears about it and just want it done. That won't stop them wanting to blame someone else if its done badly of course. That is the voters' right: its what the buggers are paid for.
  • Options
    It would be interesting to see data on how the polls would be affected if the Tories had a different leader. I don't think they usually do surveys like that in this country, whereas it's common in the United States.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

I've been making it wrong all these years :o
  • Options

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

Wrong messenger.

The Lib Dems’ polling went into the toilet because of tuition fees, so who best to revive their fortunes ? The man who instigated the tuition fee increase.
    That doesn't help. But I also think its the wrong message. They are much more interested in attacking the government instead of highlighting the reality of Labour's position. On one view fair enough, the government are in power. But the voters they should be seeking are not supporting the government and they need to win them back from Labour. Millions of them.
  • Options
    First they came for Germaine Greer...now Peter Tatchell is apparently a racist trans-phonic bigot...

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/peter-tatchell-canterbury-how-it-feels-to-be-on-the-frontline-of-the-free-speech-wars
  • Options
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

I've been making it wrong all these years :o
    All a matter of perspective...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

via @ICMResearch

Commie Spy bounce

Or Half term bounce....
    It's all margin of error.

You'd think Remainers would get over this hilarious 'the sky is falling in' response that links Brexit to everything bad that happens, and ignores the export and manufacturing boom which the weaker pound has created.

Brexit is priced in to VI and has been since we had an election where both parties agreed to leave the EU, and a third party doomed itself by speaking for the williamglenns of this world. The British public expect delays, they expect some degree of negotiation and drama.

Tory strategy for the next 4 years should be to maintain its own vote at 40-something percent and soften Labour's vote, especially in key margainals. It's not rocket science
  • Options

First they came for Germaine Greer...now Peter Tatchell is apparently a racist trans-phonic bigot...

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/peter-tatchell-canterbury-how-it-feels-to-be-on-the-frontline-of-the-free-speech-wars

Tatchell's main deficiency, in the eyes of the SJWs, is probably the fact that he's 66 years old and therefore "too old" to understand the modern world.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Really excellent productivity figures today by the way: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43140646

I am at a loss, however, to explain relatively modest growth of roughly 0.5% per quarter, an 88K increase in the workforce and a 0.8% increase in productivity. At the risk of being overly simplistic if the economy is growing more slowly than productivity shouldn't employment be falling?

Wages rising at the fastest rate for some time too.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    When the next recession comes then that's only going to be 3 categories the Tories are ahead in.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

Wages rising at the fastest rate for some time too.

Still lower than inflation but the differential is getting smaller. Hopefully by mid year wages will have started to grow again in real terms.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

Screaming what? Their sole policy is opposing the will of the voters. They deserve to be on 2%.

And they are led by Vince Cable. Vince "I was right about that Gordon Brown you know....." Cable. Er, thanks for that Vince.....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Tatchell's main deficiency, in the eyes of the SJWs, is probably the fact that he's 66 years old and therefore "too old" to understand the modern world.
    Let's face it, at that age the statistical probability is that he is a Tory.
  • Options

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

Wrong messenger.

I don't think people make that distinction.

I just think that they are too lefty under Cable at a time when Corbyn is absorbing the lefty vote wholesale. Their only USP is being anti-Brexit. I do think some Lab supporters are holding out hope that he will do a U-turn, but with little chance of an election before Brexit day I can't see JC getting a beating over it either way.

If they were positioning themselves as a managerialist, middle of the road party who wants a second referendum but doesn't bang on about it, they might be able to absorb some disaffected Tories like yourself.

Probably not enough to get past 12% though....
  • Options

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

Screaming what? Their sole policy is opposing the will of the voters. They deserve to be on 2%.

And they are led by Vince Cable. Vince "I was right about that Gordon Brown you know....." Cable. Er, thanks for that Vince.....
    But we are constantly being told that there is now a small majority of the country who think Brexit is a bad idea. That is a huge pool in which to fish. The takings seem paltry.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

That's quite funny in a sad sort of way. In those ancient days of the 1990s Greer and Tatchell were perhaps the two most right-on people in Britain, now in 2018 they are labelled as bigots. God only knows what the thought police of the middle of this century will think of us.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

That image has triggered me.

I’m off to find a safe space.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

Bloody snowflake....
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

A “No-deal” scenario absolutely results in this, as does any deal with the EU that doesn’t incorporate intangibles such as software and services.
    Canada and Australia have the same problems getting tax out of Google and Facebook that we have. To the extent countries can stop companies from tax shopping within the EU, this is being addressed by new EU regulation.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

Bloody snowflake....
    It is the first time in my life I’ve been triggered.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Alistair said:

When the next recession comes then that's only going to be 3 categories the Tories are ahead in.
    Any update on Scottish employment figures ?

The next recession will be in Scotland.
  • Options
    Mr. 43, I look forward to seeing the way in which the EU manage to **** up that regulation, after they did such sterling work with the VAT nonsense.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

Bloody snowflake....
    Perhaps to provide some relief from this distressing ordeal you could watch the best Christmas movie ever made....Die Hard.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

Looks like the aftermath of surgery for some very unpleasant skin complaint....
    I hope you're not suggesting that is edible ?
  • Options
    glw said:

DavidL said:

Most of the public are in the "just get on with it" camp, and certainly the bulk of Leavers are. They are doomed to disappointment. The intractable mess will go on and on.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Canada and Australia have the same problems getting tax out of Google and Facebook that we have. To the extent countries can stop companies from tax shopping within the EU, this is being addressed by new EU regulation.
    I think there is a genuine case for further tax harmonisation within the EU. Globally it simply isn't a market multinationals can do without..
    The only way the UK can be as important to multinationals is through upping the absolute size of the economy. And that means a metric tonne of immigration, which I'm not really in favour of - one of the reasons I voted remain...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

DavidL said:

But we are constantly being told that there is now a small majority of the country who think Brexit is a bad idea. That is a huge pool in which to fish. The takings seem paltry.
    Not being constantly told it by the voters though!
  • Options

Mr. 43, I look forward to seeing the way in which the EU manage to **** up that regulation, after they did such sterling work with the VAT nonsense.

The thing with the VAT nonsense was not only did it impose an extra burden on small online businesses, competitors based outside the EU basically just ignore it i.e. making EU based businesses upto 27% more expensive.

In theory the EU could go after them, and if you are Amazon of course you have to adhere to it, but competitors to one of my businesses still routinely ignore charging VAT on digital sales to EU customers.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

Very poor. 14K increase in unemployment and even more alarming a 30K fall in employment (as opposed to the 88K increase for the UK as a whole). It's just as well the Scottish Parliament is about to approve an enterprise friendly, business friendly, investment attracting budget in Holyrood isn't it?

Ah.....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

I think there is a genuine case for further tax harmonisation within the EU. Globally it simply isn't a market multinationals can do without..
    The only way the UK can be as important to multinationals is through upping the absolute size of the economy. And that means a metric tonne of immigration, which I'm not really in favour of - one of the reasons I voted remain...
    I think you are right. If the UK wants to push tax harmonisation, the way to do it is through the EU, because the target isn't the companies involved, it's the US government that needs to buy in. Only the EU might have the clout to force the issue. We don't on our own. Having said that, the UK hasn't shown much interest in tax harmonisation so far.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, it is some extra special legislation. Despite wanting to crack down on Amazon, the idiot bureaucrats of the EU managed to scare off a lot of micro-businesses, which then had to use the Amazon marketplace (or similar big firms) who could do the leg work.

So, at best it's ignored, and at worst it's helped major businesses make more money when the legislation's overt purpose was to get more tax out of them.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

Bloody snowflake....
    Perhaps to provide some relief from this distressing ordeal you could watch the best Christmas movie ever made....Die Hard.
    It’s not Christmas so it’s the perfect time to watch Die Hard.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

Most of the public are in the "just get on with it" camp, and certainly the bulk of Leavers are. They are doomed to disappointment. The intractable mess will go on and on.
    There will be a fudge of sorts and the public will move on. As far as the lib dems poor showing is concerned the remainers may be putting more store in the fact that most labour mps are pro EU and no doubt hope that there is more of a chance that labour can have an effect on the outcome than a band of 12 lib dems.

Where we are in 12 months time will be very interesting
  • Options

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

There will be a fudge of sorts and the public will move on. As far as the lib dems poor showing is concerned the remainers may be putting more store in the fact that most labour mps are pro EU and no doubt hope that there is more of a chance that labour can have an effect on the outcome than a band of 12 lib dems.

Possible. The fudge is BINO, Brexit that is damage limited to the greatest extent possible. We don't have consensus on that, which is a problem.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

Possible. The fudge is BINO, Brexit that is damage limited to the greatest extent possible. We don't have consensus on that, which is a problem.
    BINO is staying in the SM and CU. Can't see that happening.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

Very poor. 14K increase in unemployment and even more alarming a 30K fall in employment (as opposed to the 88K increase for the UK as a whole). It's just as well the Scottish Parliament is about to approve an enterprise friendly, business friendly, investment attracting budget in Holyrood isn't it?

Ah.....
    Hardly surprising given the continued job losses in the Oil and Gas industry. Currently somewhere north of 150,000 jobs lost in the North Sea and I suspect even with the current pick up in activity it will be a long time before we see any real move towards more recruitment.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

I don't see how BINO can happen without a critical mass of Leavers saying that we'd be better off staying. Once that position gathers momentum it will be hard to stop.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

Also paging @TSE

Bloody snowflake....
    It's the graphic equivalent of the Norway option.

Technically, it's not pineapple on pizza, but it's not going to be palatable to anyone..
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

BINO is staying in the SM and CU. Can't see that happening.
    Exactly.

We may well end up in the SM and CU. But people don't want it, so we are in a mess and those people who want to put the whole thing to sleep will be disappointed.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Except I probably would eat it. The pizza on pineapple that is, not Norway.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

I am past caring to be honest - I am in the camp of just get it done and lets get on with the important things like the NHS and Social care, higher education policies, building loads of affordable homes and helping the young
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

Brendan Cole sacked from Strictly Come Dancing after breaching protocol by waltzing with Camilla Parker Bowles

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2259805/brendan-cole-sacked-strictly-dancing-camilla-buckingham-palace/amp/

Camilla did not complain, her spokesperson said she enjoyed it, it was Craig Revell-Horwood who was not impressed as Brendan Cole was told it would breach protocol if he asked her to dance
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

Ah.....
    Hardly surprising given the continued job losses in the Oil and Gas industry. Currently somewhere north of 150,000 jobs lost in the North Sea and I suspect even with the current pick up in activity it will be a long time before we see any real move towards more recruitment.
    I saw reports earlier this week that stated the US will be a net oil exporter next year with shale prices well below what the North Sea requires. I suspect any real move towards recruitment is a very long time away

• Options
    HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

Camilla did not complain, her spokesperson said she enjoyed it, it was Craig Revell-Horwood who was not impressed as Brendan Cole was told it would breach protocol if he asked her to dance
    Yep. More like bloody republicans.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

Wasn't it a breach of protocol for Charles to be banging Camilla while he was married to Diana?
This discussion has been closed.