Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay in third place as “best PM” in latest YouGov London poll

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

ICM have the Lib Dems down to 7%? I mean, between a government that is paralysed by Brexit and an opposition that is nothing short of ridiculous what on earth is it going to take? It's almost as if opposing withdrawal from the EU isn't a vote winner after all.

If we believed that the hot air about Brexit from the media and politicians represented how people feel, then I would expect both the Lib Dems and UKIP to be doing better than they are. I suspect that most of the public are in the "just get on with it" camp.
    Most of the public are in the "just get on with it" camp, and certainly the bulk of Leavers are. They are doomed to disappointment. The intractable mess will go on and on.
    There will be a fudge of sorts and the public will move on. As far as the lib dems poor showing is concerned the remainers may be putting more store in the fact that most labour mps are pro EU and no doubt hope that there is more of a chance that labour can have an effect on the outcome than a band of 12 lib dems.

Where we are in 12 months time will be very interesting
    Possible. The fudge is BINO, Brexit that is damage limited to the greatest extent possible. We don't have consensus on that, which is a problem.
    I don't see how BINO can happen without a critical mass of Leavers saying that we'd be better off staying. Once that position gathers momentum it will be hard to stop.
    See the response from Big G. It goes like this: We have Brexited. We did what people voted for. Single Market? Customs Union? Vassal State? Who cares?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

ICM have the Lib Dems down to 7%? I mean, between a government that is paralysed by Brexit and an opposition that is nothing short of ridiculous what on earth is it going to take? It's almost as if opposing withdrawal from the EU isn't a vote winner after all.

If we believed that the hot air about Brexit from the media and politicians represented how people feel, then I would expect both the Lib Dems and UKIP to be doing better than they are. I suspect that most of the public are in the "just get on with it" camp.
    Most of the public are in the "just get on with it" camp, and certainly the bulk of Leavers are. They are doomed to disappointment. The intractable mess will go on and on.
    There will be a fudge of sorts and the public will move on. As far as the lib dems poor showing is concerned the remainers may be putting more store in the fact that most labour mps are pro EU and no doubt hope that there is more of a chance that labour can have an effect on the outcome than a band of 12 lib dems.

Possible. The fudge is BINO, Brexit that is damage limited to the greatest extent possible. We don't have consensus on that, which is a problem.
    I don't see how BINO can happen without a critical mass of Leavers saying that we'd be better off staying. Once that position gathers momentum it will be hard to stop.
    See the response from Big G. It goes like this: We have Brexited. We did what people voted for. Single Market? Customs Union? Vassal State? Who cares?
    Except people care about the implications of staying in those institutions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bloody Royals. Republic now.

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

Brendan Cole sacked from Strictly Come Dancing after breaching protocol by waltzing with Camilla Parker Bowles

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2259805/brendan-cole-sacked-strictly-dancing-camilla-buckingham-palace/amp/

Camilla did not complain, her spokesperson said she enjoyed it, it was Craig Revell-Horwood who was not impressed as Brendan Cole was told it would breach protocol if he asked her to dance
    Protocols eh? Next you’ll be supporting the divine rights of kings.
  • Options
    Mr. 43, that kind of contempt for democracy is a recipe for turning the current poisonous atmosphere into trench warfare, whilst teaching the electorate that voting only counts if the Establishment agrees with the result.

It's madness.
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

Except people care about the implications of staying in those institutions.
    Ultimately, I am not sure they do. I think it quite likely that in ten years time people will still think it right to leave the EU and at the same time not have any idea of what was achieved by it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited February 2018

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

Brendan Cole sacked from Strictly Come Dancing after breaching protocol by waltzing with Camilla Parker Bowles

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2259805/brendan-cole-sacked-strictly-dancing-camilla-buckingham-palace/amp/

Camilla did not complain, her spokesperson said she enjoyed it, it was Craig Revell-Horwood who was not impressed as Brendan Cole was told it would breach protocol if he asked her to dance
    Wasn't it a breach of protocol for Charles to be banging Camilla while he was married to Diana?
    An adulterer and fornicator as Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

The country is going to the dogs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

Wasn't it a breach of protocol for Charles to be banging Camilla while he was married to Diana?

The county is going to the dogs.
    Henry VIII?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

Would that county be Yorkshire?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 43% (+3)
    CON: 42% (+1)
    LDEM: 7% (-1)
    UKIP: 3% (-1)
    GRN: 2% (-1)

via @ICMResearch

Commie Spy bounce

There is little publicity that isn't good publicity. Something for the Sun et al to reflect upon. Corbyn's been out of the news for a while: a reminder that he can deal with pressure calmly doesn't do any harm.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Nigelb said:

AndyJS said:

KFC lovers are being urged not to call the police over the fried chicken "crisis".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43140836

Presumably you shouldn't call them if you find pineapple on your pizza, too.

Anyone stupid enough to do that ought to get a week in jail.
    I quite agree - pineapple on pizza is a crime against society.
    Also paging @TSE

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/312/079/177.jpg_large
    That image has triggered me.

I’m off to find a safe space.
    Bloody snowflake....
    It is the first time in my life I’ve been triggered.
    Perhaps to provide some relief from this distressing ordeal you could watch the best Christmas movie ever made....Die Hard.
    It’s not Christmas so it’s the perfect time to watch Die Hard.
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/empire-30-best-christmas-movies/

Arguably the greatest action movie ever made, and now the greatest Christmas movie ever made, too. Bruce Willis’ John McClane may seem like an unlikely Santa Claus – he doesn’t have enough hair for one – but what better Christmas present is there than the gift of terrorists getting taken down as they try to take Nakatomi Plaza hostage during a Christmas party in order to carry out an elaborate theft? Not for Empire readers the cutesy Christmas trees of other Christmas movies, or the sight of people in ill-advised knitwear drinking eggnog. For you guys, nothing says deck the halls like jumping off a roof tied to a fire hose, and nothing says season of goodwill like a machine gun. Ho ho ho.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

BINO is staying in the SM and CU. Can't see that happening.
    Exactly.

We may well end up in the SM and CU. But people don't want it, so we are in a mess and those people who want to put the whole thing to sleep will be disappointed.
    We clearly won’t, because that means we’re a totally passive rule taker and we’d have no control over migration from Europe.

There is no way that would be acceptable to the House of Commons or the Tory Party. It will not happen.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,025
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

Big G was a Remain voter who swung behind the result. I think it's the view of the metropolitan Leavers in media and think tank land that will be more important.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    I see Jezza has written to Ben Bradley demanding Mr Bradley

:: Confirms in writing that the defamatory statement will not be repeated in any form;

:: Tweets an apology and asks followers to retweet it;

:: Makes a donation to a charity of Mr Corbyn's choice in lieu of damages;

• Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

glw said:

DavidL said:

More or less
  • Options

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

Would that county be Yorkshire?
    Nope. Yorkshire is awesome. It is what the rest of the country aspires to be.
  • Options

Mr. 43, that kind of contempt for democracy is a recipe for turning the current poisonous atmosphere into trench warfare, whilst teaching the electorate that voting only counts if the Establishment agrees with the result.

It's madness.

MD, it's a prediction that people will prefer to get the thing over with. It's not contempt for democracy if my prediction is correct.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

I seem to remember the founder of the Church of England was not exactly a one woman man!
  • Options

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 43% (+3)
    CON: 42% (+1)
    LDEM: 7% (-1)
    UKIP: 3% (-1)
    GRN: 2% (-1)

via @ICMResearch

Commie Spy bounce

There is little publicity that isn't good publicity. Something for the Sun et al to reflect upon. Corbyn's been out of the news for a while: a reminder that he can deal with pressure calmly doesn't do any harm.
    Calmly? Didn't he threaten the press in a recent video?
  • Options

:: Confirms in writing that the defamatory statement will not be repeated in any form;

What was it David Cameron said about Twitter?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

When the next recession comes then that's only going to be 3 categories the Tories are ahead in.
    Any update on Scottish employment figures ?

The next recession will be in Scotland.
    Very poor. 14K increase in unemployment and even more alarming a 30K fall in employment (as opposed to the 88K increase for the UK as a whole). It's just as well the Scottish Parliament is about to approve an enterprise friendly, business friendly, investment attracting budget in Holyrood isn't it?

Ah.....
    Hardly surprising given the continued job losses in the Oil and Gas industry. Currently somewhere north of 150,000 jobs lost in the North Sea and I suspect even with the current pick up in activity it will be a long time before we see any real move towards more recruitment.
    I thought that the more recent numbers were better there? I was speaking to some solicitors from Aberdeen and they were telling me that recruitment had picked up in the last few months, presumably on the back of the oil price rise. There is still optimism that the clean up costs of the North sea are going to be a money spinner for some time, albeit that is not thought to be quite the goldmine that was once thought.

It is undoubtedly the case that the North Sea has been a drag on Scottish performance over the last few years and it is encouraging that despite that employment is (just) still higher than 12 months ago but the trends are not great and making Scotland the most heavily taxed part of the UK is just bloody stupid.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Knowing Jezza he will opt for Oxfam :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

I’m one of those who’s a Brit abroad making his way somewhere else in the world. That’s not who she was getting at.

Mrs May was highlighting individuals and companies who are making huge amounts of money in Britain but not paying taxes there. She was right to do so.

One of the massive positives from a no-deal brexit is that Google and Facebook will have to have British companies paying British taxes to the satisfaction of British tax inspectors.

I would seriously doubt any Brexit scenario where Google and Facebook pay more taxes to the UK Exchequer.
    A “No-deal” scenario absolutely results in this, as does any deal with the EU that doesn’t incorporate intangibles such as software and services.
    I don't see how a No Deal changes the relationship with Google and Facebook.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Oh my.

Amazon are going to do an adaptation of 'Consider Phlebas'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

I seem to remember the founder of the Church of England was not exactly a one woman man!
    The man who burned heretics at the stake.

A great role model.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

I’m one of those who’s a Brit abroad making his way somewhere else in the world. That’s not who she was getting at.

Mrs May was highlighting individuals and companies who are making huge amounts of money in Britain but not paying taxes there. She was right to do so.

One of the massive positives from a no-deal brexit is that Google and Facebook will have to have British companies paying British taxes to the satisfaction of British tax inspectors.

I would seriously doubt any Brexit scenario where Google and Facebook pay more taxes to the UK Exchequer.
    A “No-deal” scenario absolutely results in this, as does any deal with the EU that doesn’t incorporate intangibles such as software and services.
    I don't see how a No Deal changes the relationship with Google and Facebook.
    Because Brexit is Magical.

I'd draw a diagram but my unicorns are appalling.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh my.

Wow. One of my favourite books. I may have to pay for Amazon Prime. Do you know when?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Or maybe, if he really wants a laugh, the Sunset Home for retired KGB Agents.....
  • Options

Freggles said:

Or maybe, if he really wants a laugh, the Sunset Home for retired KGB Agents.....
    I believe some foodbank in Bradley's constituency is the current favourite.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

A great role model.
    He could be brutal but he also increased the navy from about 5 ships to 60, founded the royal dockyards, increased the national wealth and united England and Wales
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

A great role model.
    He could be brutal but he also increased the navy from about 5 ships to 60, founded the royal dockyards, increased the national wealth and united England and Wales
    Sounds like a bit like Stalin.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh my.

Hopefully it isn’t crap :o
  • Options
    Mr. D, that's always the fear. I was very relieved Game of Thrones turned out to be good. Reminds me, at some point I need to earn sufficient monies to acquire series 6 and 7.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited February 2018
    If Prince Charles can betray his wife what’s to stop him betraying his country.

His uncle put shagging before the country.

Even if we discount his Nazism, the male Royals are degenerates aren’t they.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,913

Freggles said:

It'd be good if he encouraged his deputy to do the same for all the people he smeared over sex abuse allegations ...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

A great role model.
    Except Stalin killed more people than the population of England in the 16th century
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

We clearly won’t, because that means we’re a totally passive rule taker and we’d have no control over migration from Europe.

There is no way that would be acceptable to the House of Commons or the Tory Party. It will not happen.

Then the stalemate will continue. There are only four basic options and we would then have rejected two of them: EU membership and "Norway". No Deal isn't a serious solution. Leaving all our hopes pinned on a Canada style FTA. It is a very long drawn out and uncertain process, where a result, if it happens at all, is guaranteed to be mediocre. Unless we have open ended transition arrangements we will be out in No Deal land anyway. If you just want to get this thing over with, you need to go for Norway or EU membership.

By the way, passive rule taking and the lack of sovereignty that comes with "Norway" is a MASSIVE issue for me. That's why I support EU membership and think William has logic on his side. I don't think the bulk of Leavers are all that bothered by sovereignty. On balance, I believe Norway is the most likely outcome.

I could envisage a Norway Minus where Freedom of Movement has limited constraints in exchange for somewhat lower level access to the Single Market, probably in services.
  • Options
    Best union leader name in ages. Minette Batters. There's a statement of intent!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43146331

If only it were the Amalgamated Union of Fishfryers......
  • Options

Most French Presidents and about half US Presidents have been adulterers and the Queen and her father were models of moral probity
  • Options

Freggles said:

It'd be good if he encouraged his deputy to do the same for all the people he smeared over sex abuse allegations ...
    Unfortunate imagery provoked by word useage.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Most French Presidents and about half US Presidents have been adulterers and the Queen and her father were models of moral probity
    I thought it was an essential qualification for a French President. The Americans are more hypocritical about it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,913

Freggles said:

Unfortunate imagery provoked by word useage.....
    :)
  • Options

Best union leader name in ages. Minette Batters. There's a statement of intent!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43146331

If only it were the Amalgamated Union of Fishfryers......

It's not really a Union though, is it? More of a cartel.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited February 2018
    Has anyone seen this?

https://twitter.com/WigToday/status/966332806560436225

One of tomorrow's by-elections has been cancelled by injunction after a judge ruled that a councillor who wished to retract a (forward-dated?) resignation could do so. I think there's more to it than meets the eye, but clearly a surprise.

Not a good night to be a legal officer in Wigan Council I suspect.....
    (they're not appealing)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh my.

Wow. One of my favourite books. I may have to pay for Amazon Prime. Do you know when?
    Dunno, just saw it on a friend's Facebook. Hopefully the adaptation will do Banks justice.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited February 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Oh my.

Be careful what you wish for. I spent all day crying in the shower after seeing how Netflix massacred 'Altered Carbon'.

Nonetheless...Culture novels. Yummy. I love 'em all.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Looking at the GE figures alone, there seems to have been zero change (beyond MoE) since the snap election.
    2017 GE in London:
    Con 33.1% (vice 34% in this poll)
    Lab: 54.5% (vice 53% in this poll)
    LD: 8.8% (vice 8% in this poll)

(Source https://data.london.gov.uk/apps_and_analysis/the-2017-general-election-the-numbers-behind-the-result/ )
    This chimes with the feeling we've been in a holding pattern ever since.
  • Options

TSE = Commie Spy!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Queen and her father are the exceptions not the norm.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Has anyone seen this?

twitter.com/WigToday/status/966332806560436225

One of tomorrow's by-elections has been cancelled by injunction after a judge ruled that a councillor who wished to retract a (forward-dated?) resignation could do so. I think there's more to it than meets the eye, but clearly a surprise.

(they're not appealing)

Top judge? Hadn’t realised the seat of the Supreme Court had moved... :D
  • Options
    The UK's position paper on the transition period. Feast your eyes, nerds.

http://bit.ly/2HxaZvQ
  • Options
    John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh my.

Be careful what you wish for. I spent all day crying in the shower after seeing how Netflix massacred 'Altered Carbon'.

Nonetheless...Culture novels. Yummy. I love 'em all.
    Didn't Amazon wipe 34 billion of Walmart shares yesterday
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    John_M said:

Article X
    Article XA
    Article X+1

Why? :o:D
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

A great role model.
    Except Stalin killed more people than the population of England in the 16th century
    Henry VIII nationalised Church assets, taking them out of the control of foreign powers.

He wasn't all bad.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Has anyone seen this?

https://twitter.com/WigToday/status/966332806560436225

(they're not appealing)

Labour must have had good hopes of taking the ward:

2016 election:

Steve Jones Independent Network 1200
    David Hurst Labour Party 1123
    Thomas Keith Miller UK Independence Party (UKIP) 438
    Margaret Mary Winstanley The Conservative Party Candidate 161
    Spoilt Ballot Papers 9
    Electorate: 8734
    % Poll: 33.56
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

When the next recession comes then that's only going to be 3 categories the Tories are ahead in.

LOL, Toom Tabard has spoken
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

Very poor. 14K increase in unemployment and even more alarming a 30K fall in employment (as opposed to the 88K increase for the UK as a whole). It's just as well the Scottish Parliament is about to approve an enterprise friendly, business friendly, investment attracting budget in Holyrood isn't it?

Ah.....
    Tories demanding Hard Brexit will really help. When will we leave the sinking ship.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

Ah.....
    Tories demanding Hard Brexit will really help. When will we leave the sinking ship.
    Unfortunately Malcolm, Scotland is the bit that is taking in water at the moment. Lowest growth, as of today higher unemployment, above average share of public sector employment, weaker investment. And the clowns in Holyrood think the answer is to increase taxes on an already weak tax base.
  • Options
    RobD said:

John_M said:

Article X
    Article XA
    Article X+1

The hint is in the subtitle 'Part [..] of the withdrawal agreement'.

Ah, there's no pedant like a British pedant. Makes me proud.
  • Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

Article X
    Article XA
    Article X+1

Heh, fair enough. It just looked odd
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Hello all: just popping in to say that off to an Intelligence Squared debate this evening with Stella Creasy, Roger Scruton, George Monbiot and Kwasi Kwarteng. First time I've ever been to one of these so not sure what to expect. Anyway I will report back if anything of interest emerges.

May still crap I see......
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh my.

Dunno, just saw it on a friend's Facebook. Hopefully the adaptation will do Banks justice.
    Somewhere between unlikely, and not an effing chance, I suspect.
  • Options
    "I’m highlighting the best PM figures because they show a great lack of support for all the main party leaders"

This was the case for the majority of 2010 - 2015 - its not an unusual state of affairs.
  • Options
    RobD said:

John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

Article X
    Article XA
    Article X+1

We can't just take hair-brained risks like numbering documents using cardinal numbers. What if someone introduced a new clause? Chaos, anarchy and the end of Brexit.
  • Options
    Have fun, Miss Cyclefree.
  • Options

The Tories are doomed in London. DOOMED.

So are Londoners, by the looks of it. I mean, I take it these are supposed to be sentient beings, right? And they want Corbyn as PM???
    As the thread header shows, the London public correctly are unimpressed by both leaders on offer. What they definitely don't want is a Conservative party defined by Brexit.
    But they seem to want a Labour government with the same policy on Brexit.

No, me neither.
    They want a Labour government that they believe is potentially more amenable to a rethink on Brexit than the Conservatives and either way doesn't treat them like fifth columnists.
    I would like a government that is potentially more amenable to a rethink on Brexit, or at least to an implementation of Brexit which doesn't involve cutting off both feet and both arms. But I do not believe for a moment that Labour under Corby is such a government. Nothing that Corbyn or McDonnell did during the referendum campaign or since or in all their previous time as MPs suggests to me that they have the slightest liking for the EU. Or any intention to do what so many voters would like them to do.
  • Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

Article X
    Article XA
    Article X+1

We can't just take hair-brained risks like numbering documents using cardinal numbers. What if someone introduced a new clause? Chaos, anarchy and the end of Brexit.
    Umm, is this because they haven't used Word or something?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    OT, finally saw Phantom Thread.

Oooh-wee, it’s Paul Thomas Anderson’s best since There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day Lewis is a genius, Lesley Manville *must* get the Supporting Actress Oscar, and newcomer Vicky Krieps is sublime. And the Johnny Greenwood score? Wow.
  • Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

RobD said:

John_M said:

Article X
    Article XA
    Article X+1

By odd, I meant funny... the combination of both roman numerals, numbers AND letters. :D
  • Options

It is not just London that Jezza's shtick is working. Look at the likes of Bristol, in areas of well to do highly educated folk, they appear to love the sound of reheated 70s socialism.

Just because people are highly educated does not mean that (a) they have any common-sense or (b) any knowledge of history.

I think that is rather more likely that, by comparison with May and the likes of JRM/Boris/Davis/Fox and other loons, Labour sounds more normal, more in tune with what most people are bothered about and appears to have come up with some answers, however rubbish they may turn out to be in practice.

The fault is entirely with the Tories who are trashing their economic reputation, generally painting themselves into a corner and coming across as the sort of person you do not want to find yourself sitting next to on a long train journey.
  • Options

Oooh-wee, it’s Paul Thomas Anderson’s best since There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day Lewis is a genius, Lesley Manville *must* get the Supporting Actress Oscar, and newcomer Vicky Krieps is sublime. And the Johnny Greenwood score? Wow.

The Good Lady Wifi cast her BAFTA vote for each of DDL and Lesley Manville. She (rightly) didn't expect either to be winning votes, but thought they were just stunning performances in a film that really stays with you. One of the most rewarding films of the whole award season I thought.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It is not just London that Jezza's shtick is working. Look at the likes of Bristol, in areas of well to do highly educated folk, they appear to love the sound of reheated 70s socialism.

Just because people are highly educated does not mean that (a) they have any common-sense or (b) any knowledge of history.

I think that is rather more likely that, by comparison with May and the likes of JRM/Boris/Davis/Fox and other loons, Labour sounds more normal, more in tune with what most people are bothered about and appears to have come up with some answers, however rubbish they may turn out to be in practice.

The fault is entirely with the Tories who are trashing their economic reputation, generally painting themselves into a corner and coming across as the sort of person you do not want to find yourself sitting next to on a long train journey.
    You're taking this Brexit stuff far too seriously. Here is a brief list of the things that will make a much bigger difference to our economy and standard of living that the government should be focussing on:
    The Trade deficit. In the longer run very little will have as big an impact on the standard of living of our children. Inevitably none of our politicians even seem to want to talk about it.

Public sector borrowing. 10 years after the last recession we are still borrowing almost £40bn a year. And the demand for increases in large and expensive parts of the welfare state are becoming irresistible. In reality our state runs a significant structural deficit that we have not fixed.

Private sector borrowing. Encouraged by over low interest rates for a decade, our economy lives off credit spending like a heroin addict on smack. In both cases it usually does not end well.

Productivity. Reflecting serious deficiencies in education, training and investment, recent improvements notwithstanding.

Housing. You cannot invite several million immigrants to work in your economy without a massive housing program. If you do you end up in the mess we are in right now.

Infrastructure. One of the underlying causes of poor productivity but also a major problem in an overcrowded island (generating huge costs) with the demands of current spending on available budgets.

It is of course concerning how little attention these are all getting but Brexit is a side issue.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:

History shows the most effective leaders were either serial adulterers or drunks. One or both skills should be in the job description.

Disraeli, Churchill, FDR, JFK, Lloyd George, Clinton and of course John Major being examples.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

You're taking this Brexit stuff far too seriously. Here is a brief list of the things that will make a much bigger difference to our economy and standard of living that the government should be focussing on:
    The Trade deficit. In the longer run very little will have as big an impact on the standard of living of our children. Inevitably none of our politicians even seem to want to talk about it.

Public sector borrowing. 10 years after the last recession we are still borrowing almost £40bn a year. And the demand for increases in large and expensive parts of the welfare state are becoming irresistible. In reality our state runs a significant structural deficit that we have not fixed.

Private sector borrowing. Encouraged by over low interest rates for a decade, our economy lives off credit spending like a heroin addict on smack. In both cases it usually does not end well.

Productivity. Reflecting serious deficiencies in education, training and investment, recent improvements notwithstanding.

Housing. You cannot invite several million immigrants to work in your economy without a massive housing program. If you do you end up in the mess we are in right now.

Infrastructure. One of the underlying causes of poor productivity but also a major problem in an overcrowded island (generating huge costs) with the demands of current spending on available budgets.

It is of course concerning how little attention these are all getting but Brexit is a side issue.
    Well put David. I'd add one extra worry to the mix; the inability of government (and particularly THIS government) to make decisions in a timely fashion. In the software world it's called 'analysis paralysis'. There's always time for a review, a commission, another consultation period and so on. Our OODA loop is just awful. We must become more agile.
  • Options

The Good Lady Wifi cast her BAFTA vote for each of DDL and Lesley Manville. She (rightly) didn't expect either to be winning votes, but thought they were just stunning performances in a film that really stays with you. One of the most rewarding films of the whole award season I thought.
    The Good Lady Wifi has exquisite taste.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Well put David. I'd add one extra worry to the mix; the inability of government (and particularly THIS government) to make decisions in a timely fashion. In the software world it's called 'analysis paralysis'. There's always time for a review, a commission, another consultation period and so on. Our OODA loop is just awful. We must become more agile.
    Agreed. Cabinet subcommittees henceforth to be called 'scrums'?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Brexit has an impact on the trade deficit, and all the energy wasted on it crowds out attention on the other issues you mention.

So actually, yes, Brexit is the biggest show in town.
  • Options
    John_M said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Wouldn't disagree. The situation with Heathrow is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BREACH OF PROTO-COLE

A great role model.
    Be careful what you wish for TSE. Who is to say which side of that line either you or I would end up on.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Brexit has an impact on the trade deficit, and all the energy wasted on it crowds out attention on the other issues you mention.

It really isn't. To take a simple example if we don't get a FTA with the EU (which we will) it is likely that trade deficit with the EU would fall.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

But, surely, it is Brexit which is stopping the government thinking about all these things let along coming up with sensible solutions?

And, indeed, Brexit may well make much of these matters worse. Eg the trade deficit. Making it harder to trade with the EU is not really going to help, is it?

I hope not but I fear so.

Anyway, bye. Off to listen now rather than opine...... :)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Mortimer said:

John_M said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Not a fan :). I'd suggest we used the procedures introduced by the HRE in the Golden Bull of 1356. If those fail, the procedures proposed by the estimable Mr Dancer in ~2008.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

But, surely, it is Brexit which is stopping the government thinking about all these things let along coming up with sensible solutions?

And, indeed, Brexit may well make much of these matters worse. Eg the trade deficit. Making it harder to trade with the EU is not really going to help, is it?

It is the incompetence of our political class that means we have Brexit paralysis, not the process itself. We have seen the same in Scotland where generations of politicians have obsessed with constitutional arrangements instead of doing the day job.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

It really isn't. To take a simple example if we don't get a FTA with the EU (which we will) it is likely that trade deficit with the EU would fall.
    A falling trade deficit caused by a reduction in overall trade volumes is not a good thing.

It’s a very bad thing, as we saw in the 1930s.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

It is the incompetence of our political class that means we have Brexit paralysis, not the process itself. We have seen the same in Scotland where generations of politicians have obsessed with constitutional arrangements instead of doing the day job.
    Sloppy thinking. Brexit is inherently navel-gazing, and the incompetence of our political class was and is a known constraint.

You are close to claiming that Brexit is perfect in theory but just hasn’t been implemented properly.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

A falling trade deficit caused by a reduction in overall trade volumes is not a good thing.

That is a different question and I don't disagree. But it is wrong to say that a no deal Brexit would increase our trade deficit. It wouldn't.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

If EU membership is the underlying cause of many of those issues then simply ignoring it is not going to make things any better. If that is the case then Brexit is very much part of the solution.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

That is a different question and I don't disagree. But it is wrong to say that a no deal Brexit would increase our trade deficit. It wouldn't.
    I didn’t say it would. I said it would be impacted, and not in a healthy way.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Sloppy thinking. Brexit is inherently navel-gazing, and the incompetence of our political class was and is a known constraint.

You are close to claiming that Brexit is perfect in theory but just hasn’t been implemented properly.
    Nope. I am simply saying that Brexit will have almost no detectable effect (in the event of a good deal) or an absolutely minimal effect (in the event of a poor deal). Either way everything on my list and John M's point about the inability of our politicians to make a decision will have much more impact on how our economy performs.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Nope. I am simply saying that Brexit will have almost no detectable effect (in the event of a good deal) or an absolutely minimal effect (in the event of a poor deal). Either way everything on my list and John M's point about the inability of our politicians to make a decision will have much more impact on how our economy performs.
    On your point that Brexit will have a non detectable effect, not a single economist alive agrees with you.

I mean, even Patrick “Close down the North” Minford predicts an effect, albeit with the wrong sign.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Mortimer said:

John_M said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Not a fan :). I'd suggest we used the procedures introduced by the HRE in the Golden Bull of 1356. If those fail, the procedures proposed by the estimable Mr Dancer in ~2008.
    Trebuchet?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    I see Jezza was in Chesterfield at the exact time he supposedly was meeting the Czech liar according to Tony Benns diary
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

On your point that Brexit will have a non detectable effect, not a single economist alive agrees with you.

I mean, even Patrick “Close down the North” Minford predicts an effect, albeit with the wrong sign.
    These are the economists who are forecasting that the economy would be 5% smaller in 15 years time when they can't get growth in the current year right? So far, since the vote, we have had growth of 1.9%, then 1.8% (it will be revised up in due course) and next month we will be told that growth this year will be around 1.9% again. When are we supposed to be seeing these effects?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

These subjects are getting next to no attention because some ideological lunatics are determined to press ahead with their mad hobbyhorse as the absolute top priority for the indefinite future.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

John_M said:

Mortimer said:

John_M said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Trebuchet?
    Indeed. As a reasonable person, I'm also prepared to entertain the enormo-Haddock or space cannon.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

These subjects are getting next to no attention because some ideological lunatics are determined to press ahead with their mad hobbyhorse as the absolute top priority for the indefinite future.
    And because another bunch of ideological lunatics are equally obsessed with stopping them. You used to call the EU a second order problem Alastair. I agree.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

A 'mad hobbyhorse' that people voted for, you mean?

Democracy - ain't it great.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

These are the economists who are forecasting that the economy would be 5% smaller in 15 years time when they can't get growth in the current year right? So far, since the vote, we have had growth of 1.9%, then 1.8% (it will be revised up in due course) and next month we will be told that growth this year will be around 1.9% again. When are we supposed to be seeing these effects?
    For a start, the forecasts are relative levels of growth, rather than absolute.
    And I would guess that you'd see significant effects post rather than pre Brexit.

Growth rates compared to our continental partners would probably be a fair indication of outcomes, since you can only run the experiment once.
  • Options

I see Jezza was in Chesterfield at the exact time he supposedly was meeting the Czech liar according to Tony Benns diary

But Jezza doesn't deny meeting him? The difference is over what was said.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

And because another bunch of ideological lunatics are equally obsessed with stopping them. You used to call the EU a second order problem Alastair. I agree.
    It is a second order problem. It's a second order problem consuming all the energies of government for the indefinite future. It's the most appalling example of prioritisation undertaken by a government in living memory (and arguably since Henry VIII let his libido set foreign and religious policy).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

For a start, the forecasts are relative levels of growth, rather than absolute.
    And I would guess that you'd see significant effects post rather than pre Brexit.

Growth rates compared to our continental partners would probably be a fair indication of outcomes, since you can only run the experiment once.
    Its probably the best indicator we will have, I agree. But it will be argued about forever because there are so many confounding factors.
This discussion has been closed.