Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Get ready for more of this in the next 13 months

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    Fenster said:

John_M said:

Mr. M, if Osborne et al. hadn't overblown things, Remain would've stood a better chance. Ironic that making the predicted downside smaller would've perhaps led to use staying in.

Mr. Tyndall, to be honest, I'm gladder about avoiding a thermonuclear winter ;)

I've read Shipman. Remain would have just made some other godawful mistake. Other than 'it'll cost money' they really didn't have much in their knapsack.
    I'm still reading Shipman's "All Out War". Anybody here who hasn't, you really should. There seem to have been about thirty instances in which Brexit could have been doomed. That it threaded a way through might lead one to think it was divine intervention.

Brexit: it's God's Will. So STFU.....
    I recently finished reading Fall Out. Shipman paints a fair and balanced picture of politicians on all sides but May comes across badly. I find it astonishing, just for starters, that she had so little input into the 2017 manifesto. It's almost as though she's untroubled by ANY original thoughts.

The handling of Brexit was always going to be tricky but I think May has made it trickier through her lack of personality, creative thinking and inability to build relationships with people. She is a depressingly poor PM whose abject performance in last year's GE had one ironic, positive effect for her: it has kept her in power.

The Tories fucked up with May and every member of the parliamentary party (aside from Williamson, it seems...) knows it.
    I think Williamson thinks he has the perfect solution to the May problem.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612

Is there any possibility of a high level Leave to Remain defection as mentioned in the header?

Maybe Jeremy Hunt. After all, it is only a few weeks go that he 'defected' the other way.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

John_M said:

Mr. M, if Osborne et al. hadn't overblown things, Remain would've stood a better chance. Ironic that making the predicted downside smaller would've perhaps led to use staying in.

I've read Shipman. Remain would have just made some other godawful mistake. Other than 'it'll cost money' they really didn't have much in their knapsack.
    I'm still reading Shipman's "All Out War". Anybody here who hasn't, you really should. There seem to have been about thirty instances in which Brexit could have been doomed. That it threaded a way through might lead one to think it was divine intervention.

Now it's God's will - not the 'will of the people' (well half of them).
    I wasn't being entirely serious.... But - read the book, and then tell me it doesn't feel like God had Brexit's back! (Or maybe they had the luck of the Devil...?)
    Brexit has been truly providential for the European Union. At the moment of maximum fragility when it was being assailed by the forces of Putin and Le Pen, the British volunteered to demonstrate to the world the value of EU membership. Our ministers travel around Europe making earnest pleas for close European cooperation within a strong rules-based foundation, and Europe is heading the call.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,595
    Fenster said:

John_M said:

I recently finished reading Fall Out. Shipman paints a fair and balanced picture of politicians on all sides but May comes across badly. I find it astonishing, just for starters, that she had so little input into the 2017 manifesto. It's almost as though she's untroubled by ANY original thoughts...
    Au contraire - she gives every appearance of being deeply troubled by any original thought...
    :smile:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited February 2018
    brendan16 said:

What is causing young men to do this now when they didn't before? Maybe we should be asking that question?

I'm sure that'll work fine in the notably thoughtful, non partisan and self analysing world of US politics. Meanwhile, let's keep selling those lads assault rifles.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Rexel56 said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

Not a massive surprise - but looks like Trump is back on board with the NRA, calling for teachers to be armed.

twitter.com/barristersecret/status/966565730631213056
    Arm teachers, and the next schoolshooter takes a kid as a human shield - and starts shooting from behind them. Is the now armed teacher expected to risk killing the shield? No. Progress? Nil....
    Arm the teachers and the next schoolshooter does not have to acquire weapons and bring them in. The weapons will already be there - just whack the teacher and take their weapon.

Also, how long until some teacher shoots another teacher or pupil in a row / fight / argument?
    We're agreed - the idea is as dumb as a brick. Guns and schools don't mix, period.

Just when it looked as if Trump might just once do the right thing - normal service is resumed.
    Politicians funded by gun manufacturers propose the manufacture of more guns. Unsurprising.
    The US had no mass public or school shootings from 1950 to 1980. Since 2000 it has had more than 15.

If guns are solely the cause why are these shootings a recent phenomenon and rarely if ever occurred in the first 225 years of the nations existence despite the second amendment and the right to bear arms.

What is causing young men to do this now when they didn't before? Maybe we should be asking that question?

France is gun free but it didn't stop the Bataclan massacre - because you actually have to want to go out an commit such horrible acts whether guns are legal or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shootings_in_the_United_States

1910s
    Deaths: 11
    Injuries: 12 +

1920s
    Deaths: 5
    Injuries: 5

1930s
    Deaths: 10
    Injuries: 3

1940s
    injuries: 2

1950s
    Deaths: 13
    Injuries: 8

1960s
    Deaths: 42
    Injuries: 65

1970s
    Deaths: 36

1980's
    Deaths: 51
    Injuries: 162

1990's
    Deaths: 91
    Injuries: 152

2000's
    Deaths: 107
    Injuries: 137
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited February 2018
    brendan16 said:

Rexel56 said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

Not a massive surprise - but looks like Trump is back on board with the NRA, calling for teachers to be armed.

Arm teachers, and the next schoolshooter takes a kid as a human shield - and starts shooting from behind them. Is the now armed teacher expected to risk killing the shield? No. Progress? Nil....
    Arm the teachers and the next schoolshooter does not have to acquire weapons and bring them in. The weapons will already be there - just whack the teacher and take their weapon.

Also, how long until some teacher shoots another teacher or pupil in a row / fight / argument?
    We're agreed - the idea is as dumb as a brick. Guns and schools don't mix, period.

Just when it looked as if Trump might just once do the right thing - normal service is resumed.
    Politicians funded by gun manufacturers propose the manufacture of more guns. Unsurprising.
    The US had no mass public or school shootings from 1950 to 1980. Since 2000 it has had more than 15.

If guns are solely the cause why are these shootings a recent phenomenon and rarely if ever occurred in the first 225 years of the nations existence despite the second amendment and the right to bear arms.

France is gun free but it didn't stop the Bataclan massacre - because you actually have to want to go out an commit such horrible acts whether guns are legal or not.

15 American school shootings since 2000? Snopes has more than a dozen already this year.
    https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/16/how-many-school-shootings-in-2018/

• Options

Is there any possibility of a high level Leave to Remain defection as mentioned in the header?

Boris is a possibility. A real horror-show Brexit wouldn't do him or his leadership ambitions any good, so I can imagine him doing a mea culpa and saying he was seduced by the siren voices of Dan Hannan etc., who turned out to be clueless. In one leap he would be free.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Rexel56 said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

1910s

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980's

1990's

2000's
    Well, it was a theory.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    This really is hopeless. After the Chequers summit, May needs to put her negotiating stance to a vote in the House of Commons. If it’s rejected, she resigns.

Parliament needs to share responsibility for the negotiations, especially as it’s hung. If it doesn’t, we are truly headed for a car crash.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    On the Times story, why would a trade negotiator from New Zealand hired by Liam Fox ever have imagined he'd have a key role in Brexit negotiations themselves?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The problem of the NI border can only be solved by a customs union,which means bye bye Liam Fox with his shared values to Duterte,and all his Brexit fantasies.The problems for TMay are the increasingly bloodthirsty ERG,all the commitments previously given around the fairyland of free trade deals, statute,both national and European,confirming the status of the GFA,and the DUP,on whom her government depends and who could scupper TMay's Titanic.
    It's not any cabinet minister who'll sabotage Brexit,it will be Ireland.Irish politics have never been more fascinating.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2018

brendan16 said:

15 American school shootings since 2000? Snopes has more than a dozen already this year.
    https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/16/how-many-school-shootings-in-2018/
    I think it a definition thing, particularly what constitutes a 'mass' shooting.

EDIT: It was still a bullshit comment, either way.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    I don't mind guns. I used to like shooting, and a member of my family regularly shoots (and has been on the cover of a shooting magazine).

Yet I haven't fired a gun for a couple of decades. There are few places to shoot around here, and I have other hobbies. But if I lived in the back of beyond I'd probably apply for a shotgun, or even a rifle. But guns are totally irrelevant for my current life and lifestyle. They're an irrelevance (and thank God I can say that).

So I'm not instinctively anti-gun. But having said that, the US gun laws are absolutely crazy. Insane. If I lived in the countryside I might have a rifle and/or shotgun, for food or protection from bears and the like. I probably wouldn't find much use for a handgun.

But automatic rifles? Why does any civilian need anything that can repeat (whether automatic (AIUI banned at federal level) or semi-automatic (allowed)?

The way I see it, as generalisations:
    *) Shotguns. Useful in the country for hunting food and sport.
    *) Rifles. Useful for protection against animals, and hunting food.
    *) Handgun. Generally useful only against other humans.
    *) (semi-)automatic rifles. Useful only for mass slaughter of people.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    DavidL said:

brendan16 said:

Rexel56 said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

1910s

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980's

1990's

2000's
    Well, it was a theory.
    If there were an easy solution it would have been tried by now. Sadly, the real world is very different from that theoretical world inhabited by the politicians.

US politics isn’t helped by the NRA threatening to primary politicians who disagree with their aims, but even they are now coming around to the idea of banning bump stocks and increased checks to stop the mentally ill from acquiring guns. Schools also need increased security.

Much like Nixon in China, Trump has a huge opportunity here as a Republican to reform the gun laws, especially around checks for mental illness.

In last week’s case, it also appears that the FBI were aware of this nutter already, so they have questions to answer.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

The problem of the NI border can only be solved by a customs union,which means bye bye Liam Fox with his shared values to Duterte,and all his Brexit fantasies.The problems for TMay are the increasingly bloodthirsty ERG,all the commitments previously given around the fairyland of free trade deals, statute,both national and European,confirming the status of the GFA,and the DUP,on whom her government depends and who could scupper TMay's Titanic.
    It's not any cabinet minister who'll sabotage Brexit,it will be Ireland.Irish politics have never been more fascinating.

Would you mind terribly adding a space after a comma or full stop. Their absence gives your post a breathless air (and makes it tricky to read). Much obliged, old bean.
  • Options
    Way offtopic, but when Pater Tatchell gets stood up as “racist and transphopic” then the student intolerance has eaten itself.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/peter-tatchell-canterbury-how-it-feels-to-be-on-the-frontline-of-the-free-speech-wars
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

brendan16 said:

Rexel56 said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

Well, it was a theory.
    If there were an easy solution it would have been tried by now. Sadly, the real world is very different from that theoretical world inhabited by the politicians.

US politics isn’t helped by the NRA threatening to primary politicians who disagree with their aims, but even they are now coming around to the idea of banning bump stocks and increased checks to stop the mentally ill from acquiring guns. Schools also need increased security.

Much like Nixon in China, Trump has a huge opportunity here as a Republican to reform the gun laws, especially around checks for mental illness.

In last week’s case, it also appears that the FBI were aware of this nutter already, so they have questions to answer.
    I find the right to buy, possess or use automatic rifles quite bizarre. I also find the story in the Guardian a few days ago that there are 7.7m people with more than 140 guns just bewildering. In fairness to the FBI their resources must be pretty thinly spread with that level of nutterdom tolerated.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,595
    The EU is continuing to play hardball on what they will consider in terms of trade agreements:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/22/eu-rules-out-uks-preferred-approach-to-future-trade-deal

It is becoming increasingly clear that they are entirely prepared to disrupt trade, at some cost to themselves as well as us, to enforce their set of red lines.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The EU is continuing to play hardball on what they will consider in terms of trade agreements:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/22/eu-rules-out-uks-preferred-approach-to-future-trade-deal

It is becoming increasingly clear that they are entirely prepared to disrupt trade, at some cost to themselves as well as us, to enforce their set of red lines.

But the Leavers told us this would be easy.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

brendan16 said:

Rexel56 said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

1910s

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980's

1990's

2000's
    Well, it was a theory.
    ... but not really a fact.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

brendan16 said:

Rexel56 said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

Well, it was a theory.

I find the right to buy, possess or use automatic rifles quite bizarre. I also find the story in the Guardian a few days ago that there are 7.7m people with more than 140 guns just bewildering. In fairness to the FBI their resources must be pretty thinly spread with that level of nutterdom tolerated.
    The FBI have a crap job to do, but in the latest incident it was clear that multiple people had reported the shooter as being mentally unstable and acquiring big guns. They’ve questions to answer as to why they didn’t respond.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sandpit said:

Almost his first act as President was to repeal a law to prevent mentally ill people buying guns.

Not sure how we comes out well from reversing (again) that stance
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

ttps://twitter.com/samcoatestimes/status/966625385772388352

These documents would always have been classified or subject to Cabinet Office disclosure rules (30 years). That the Remoaners want us to publish our negotiating strategy in advance says that thay are only interested in sabotaging the EU negotiations.
  • Options

John_M said:

Now it's God's will - not the 'will of the people' (well half of them).
    I wasn't being entirely serious.... But - read the book, and then tell me it doesn't feel like God had Brexit's back! (Or maybe they had the luck of the Devil...?)
    Brexit has been truly providential for the European Union. At the moment of maximum fragility when it was being assailed by the forces of Putin and Le Pen, the British volunteered to demonstrate to the world the value of EU membership. Our ministers travel around Europe making earnest pleas for close European cooperation within a strong rules-based foundation, and Europe is heading the call.
    Back on the sauce again I see William.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "Don't mention Brexit! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it!"
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    DavidL said:

The Guardian number is bullshit.

There are 310m guns in the United States (source).

If 7.7m had 140 guns each, then the rest of the United States must have minus 750 million or so.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What happened to Brexit leading to a truly sovereign Parliament?

You can understand why the voters didn’t want to give Mrs May a landslide or indeed any kind of majority.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sandpit said:

These documents would always have been classified

"It is not in the public interest for them to know how unprepared we are for Brexit"

Stick that on the side of your bus...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Sandpit said:

The FBI have a crap job to do, but in the latest incident it was clear that multiple people had reported the shooter as being mentally unstable and acquiring big guns. They’ve questions to answer as to why they didn’t respond.

I suspect the answer is that (a) the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco is the responsible agency and therefore information flow between them and the FBI is weak, (b) they probably get told that 1000s of people are mentally unstable every year, (c) if you buy at a gun show, then there are no background checks. I could wander into a gun show tomorrow and buy a semiautomatic shotgun. (For the rabbits.)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

May's stance on Brexit contains so many contradictions, which are needed in order to keep her party together, that it is impossible for anything but BINO to be agreed.
  • Options
    F1: Toto Wolff would like to take chainsaw to the halo. New Mercedes unveiled. Ferrari to come out in the afternoon.

McLaren has Marilyn Monroed itself in the wind. It is very orange.
  • Options

DavidL said:

brendan16 said:

Rexel56 said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

1910s

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980's

1990's

2000's
    Well, it was a theory.
    An alternative fact perhaps.
  • Options

DavidL said:

brendan16 said:

Rexel56 said:

Scott_P said:

rkrkrk said:

1910s

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980's

1990's

2000's
    Well, it was a theory.
    An alternative fact perhaps.
    Yes, or a 'terminological inexactitude'
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

I suspect the answer is that (a) the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco is the responsible agency and therefore information flow between them and the FBI is weak, (b) they probably get told that 1000s of people are mentally unstable every year, (c) if you buy at a gun show, then there are no background checks. I could wander into a gun show tomorrow and buy a semiautomatic shotgun. (For the rabbits.)
    Rabbits certainly need a bit of extra firepower - foxes and stoats currently have the upper hand.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,999
    Fenster said:

John_M said:

I recently finished reading Fall Out. Shipman paints a fair and balanced picture of politicians on all sides but May comes across badly. I find it astonishing, just for starters, that she had so little input into the 2017 manifesto. It's almost as though she's untroubled by ANY original thoughts.

The handling of Brexit was always going to be tricky but I think May has made it trickier through her lack of personality, creative thinking and inability to build relationships with people. She is a depressingly poor PM whose abject performance in last year's GE had one ironic, positive effect for her: it has kept her in power.

The Tories fucked up with May and every member of the parliamentary party (aside from Williamson, it seems...) knows it.
    May has got through Phase 1 of the negotiations which is in itself a big achievement and something neither Boris nor Leadsom may have achieved, while at the same time keeping the Tories still very competitive with Labour in current polls
  • Options
    A Russian football hooligan wanted for attacking an England fan during the Euro 2016 riots in Marseilles has been arrested in Munich.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43156785
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Listened to an interesting discussion the other day regarding the impact of rolling news coverage of mass shootings. It is claimed that voluntary guidelines adopted by news channels on the reporting of suicides have had a positive impact on the number of copycat suicides; (keep reports straightforward, don’t speculate on the motivation of the suicidal person, avoid descriptions of the method of suicide).

It is now suggested that 24 news channels repeating many times any footage taken during mass shootings and speculating at length and repeatedly on the “manifesto” of the shooter is having a copycat effect. The repeating of the coverage on a cycle as short as 15 minutes is conditioning the susceptible to see mass shooting in a school environment as the way to express their disaffection, whatever it may be. The person making the suggestion was advocating that the news channels adopt guidelines for coverage given the apparent evidence regarding suicides.

https://crooked.com/podcast/hold-my-putter/

Last 15 minutes or so... warning the rest of the podcast is relentlessly anti-Trump...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Why would your rabbits need a semi?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

If 7.7m had 140 guns each, then the rest of the United States must have minus 750 million or so.
    Have to say, it was in the Guardian and it seemed odd. But even your link says that 8% of gun owners have 10 or more guns. That is still a lot of people. And I can't help feeling that with so many millions of guns around there will be a significant number that are not registered with anyone.

Watch out for those rabbits. I am sure they are vicious.
  • Options
    Mr. L, the viciousness of rabbits was proven beyond doubt in the documentary Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

My missus got a rabbit because of the semi ...
  • Options

Mr. L, the viciousness of rabbits was proven beyond doubt in the documentary Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Not to mention the documentary, Night of the Lepus.
  • Options
    Mr. L, more information on the terrible nature of lagomorphs can be found here: http://thaddeuswhite.weebly.com/writing-blog/sir-edric-and-the-vampire-lord
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Rabbits are cute. Foxes, however...

I once saw a couple of pea-hens that a fox had ripped apart when it had got into an enclosure. It had not eaten them, and had just killed them. The owner said it was not the first time; on a previous occasion she had heard them screaming as the fox played with its prey.

If foxes can hunt other animals and kill them for 'play', then we can do the same to them. ;)
  • Options
    After consulting my 1-rabbit focus group, I think he would rather have a piece of apple and a stroke behind the ears to a semi-automatic weapon.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Have to say, it was in the Guardian and it seemed odd. But even your link says that 8% of gun owners have 10 or more guns. That is still a lot of people. And I can't help feeling that with so many millions of guns around there will be a significant number that are not registered with anyone.

I don't think that is so extraordinary.

Firstly it's 8% of gun owners, not 8% of the country.
    Secondly many collect them as a hobby or for other reasons.

I know people who collect stamps, or coins or Games Workshop miniatures or all sorts of other things. Every one of those collectors would have 10 or more of whatever they collect.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

DavidL said:

I once saw a couple of pea-hens that a fox had ripped apart when it had got into an enclosure. It had not eaten them, and had just killed them. The owner said it was not the first time; on a previous occasion she had heard them screaming as the fox played with its prey.

If foxes can hunt other animals and kill them for 'play', then we can do the same to them. ;)
    There’s a bloody good reason why farmers used to spend their Sundays getting together to kill the damn foxes.

That the townies don’t understand isn’t the fault of the countrymen.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=semi
  • Options
    edited February 2018

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I know people who collect stamps, or coins or Games Workshop miniatures or all sorts of other things. Every one of those collectors would have 10 or more of whatever they collect.
    Roughly a third of Americans are gun owners as I understand it. So that is approximately 100m people. Of whom 8m have 10 or more guns.

Here's the thing, unlike stamps or coins guns are dangerous. They can be used to hurt people. 10 guns to me sounds like the owner may have an unhealthy obsession with shooting things. This strikes me as sub-optimal.
  • Options

F1: Toto Wolff would like to take chainsaw to the halo. New Mercedes unveiled. Ferrari to come out in the afternoon.

McLaren has Marilyn Monroed itself in the wind. It is very orange.

The Halo looks awful on every car so far. I'm far from convinced it'll save anyone from death or injury, either.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I largely agree. My main concern, though, is increased cockpit evacuation times, particularly if the car is overturned or buried within a soft barrier. Upside down and on fire, a driver's first thought won't be "Thank goodness for the halo" as he's struggling to escape a burning car.
  • Options

DavidL said:

My daughter had pet rabbits when she was a child. Needless to say found them intensely boring after a few weeks leaving muggins here to clean them out, feed them and water them. Cute is not the word I would use. If I had only been able to find a fox...
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

DavidL said:

It's not killing them for play. It's encountered a lot more easy prey than it can carry. The obvious choice for its survival is to kill as many as it can, carry off what it can, and potentially return later to get the rest (if it thinks it's safe). It's a fox, it doesn't understand that it could leave the hen alive and it would definitely still be there when it returns
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's not killing them for play. It's encountered a lot more easy prey than it can carry. The obvious choice for its survival is to kill as many as it can, carry off what it can, and potentially return later to get the rest (if it thinks it's safe). It's a fox, it doesn't understand that it could leave the hen alive and it would definitely still be there when it returns
    Unless he came back on a Monday, of course.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Fishing said:

I don't think the bus is a smart tactic. I have seen no evidence that the Leave bus in the campaign affected the polling or the end result at all, and then there was an actual campaign. Still, if it makes Blair, Clegg et al feel like there is a chance, and diverts them from more effective efforts to thwart democracy, then fair enough.

Off topic, I see the Australians are going to ask for reciprocal working rights, so hopefully CANZUK will actually happen:

https://www.change.org/p/2988816/u/22417930?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_campaign=261707&sfmc_tk=E/GpZ/AQe9BzPP3/r0R6zzgyoaskqHulx9FsDGvKt8FhBoNHWwGO2qqG2mu+Vl0h&j=261707&sfmc_sub=599272621&l=32_HTML&u=47482955&mid=7259882&jb=305

So you are saying that non-EU trade deals are going to come with freedom of movement strings attached? Not sure that's what leave supporters want to hear.
    Reciprocal working rights are *not* the same as freedom of movement
    But they are a set of rules, agreed willingly with another party, which mean we don't control our immigration policy.

Remind you of anything?
    Nope. We didn’t like the EU rules so tried to change them. Our partners didn’t want to change, so we said “no thanks” to the whole deal.

Er, what if the Ozzies don't want to change the rules if we want to?
    Then we terminate the agreement

The point is that restricting EU immigration was incompatible with EU membership and therefore we had “no control” while remaining a member
    What a strange idea of agreements. While undoubtedly true I'm sure you can appreciate that an "I'll sign and abide by this binding agreement until I don't agree with it any more" is slightly strange.

Plus in both examples we had and would have exactly the same degree of control.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Scott_P said:
    How is this a change in position? Labour have always said "a" custom union (not "the")
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Roughly a third of Americans are gun owners as I understand it. So that is approximately 100m people. Of whom 8m have 10 or more guns.

Here's the thing, unlike stamps or coins guns are dangerous. They can be used to hurt people. 10 guns to me sounds like the owner may have an unhealthy obsession with shooting things. This strikes me as sub-optimal.
    Hunting rifles, target pistols, farm shotguns & the like can be used to hurt people though it's not their primary purpose. I'd guess the vast majority of the other types of firearms bought and sold in the US are specifically designed to hurt and kill people. One the of the deep dishonesties of a lot of the NRA mob is the pretence that this is something to which they're indifferent, that their bump stocked, thermal sighted AR15s are for sporting use or for fun or for the aesthetics, or some similar bullshit reason.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

After consulting my 1-rabbit focus group, I think he would rather have a piece of apple and a stroke behind the ears to a semi-automatic weapon.

Packin' heat
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Scott_P said:
    How is this a change in position? Labour have always said "a" custom union (not "the")
    It sounds like the same thing to me too. But then isn't everyone essentially arguing for access not membership of the existing structures? It's really going to come down to how much the EU is willing to budge.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    It's basically the government line too.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997

DavidL said:

"The fox started it!" is a definitely a novel justification for those who want to torture a wild animal to death as the climax of a social occasion.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Then how come none were taken?

I once watched a cat (an Australian cat, but that's probably not relevant) 'stalk' a large butterfly trapped in a house. It caught the butterfly, hurt it, and let it escape. The butterfly could not fly well, and the cat would try to get to whereever it settled. It would pounce on it, or try to climb up and get it, then let it go. This lasted for ages, and eventually the cat killed it.

And did not eat it.

Don't think hunting animals don't 'play' with their food, or even just smaller, inedible animals.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Hunting rifles, target pistols, farm shotguns & the like can be used to hurt people though it's not their primary purpose. I'd guess the vast majority of the other types of firearms bought and sold in the US are specifically designed to hurt and kill people. One the of the deep dishonesties of a lot of the NRA mob is the pretence that this is something to which they're indifferent, that their bump stocked, thermal sighted AR15s are for sporting use or for fun or for the aesthetics, or some similar bullshit reason.
    They are mental. A charming lady who was a member was being asked on R5 the other night why she had a gun. She explained that she often had to go to Birmingham, Alabama, in her car and it was not tremendously reliable. If it broke down she might need it to protect herself. Tony commented in this country we normally just phoned the AA.

She was, in fact, an indicator of the problem. She breaks down in a black neighbourhood and her first thought is to pull her gun from the glove compartment. What could possibly go wrong in that scenario?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

"The fox started it!" is a definitely a novel justification for those who want to torture a wild animal to death as the climax of a social occasion.
    Where would you put fox hunting in the top 10 of most woke topics to virtue signal about ? Above or below Syria and Brexit ?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Don sounding uncharacteristically defensive about having said give teachers guns.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/966650397002813440
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    CD13 said:

Mr Topping,

A poor analogy. The 'let's have another referendum because we didn't like the first one' is more akin to the period after a GE but before the new MPs have even assembled in Parliament. It's 'I refuse to accept the election result. I know better.'

You can have another referendum after a suitable period of having tried Brexit. Forty years seems to be the usual period - a nice biblical length.

We can always have a referendum on something different - the specific Brexit we're offered by the Government.
    If you decide to buy a sofa, or a computer, or any significant purchase and you order it and pay for it, You have a contract and therefore must go through with it - right? Except that if what you end up with is damaged, of poor quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, you have the right to reject it and claim a refund. Always.

So, unless Brexit is less important than a sofa, a chair, a pair of shoes, or anything like that, surely we have to have the right to reject what's offered if it's unfit for purpose or not as described, right? That's what the call for a referendum on the deal is about - give us, the people, the right to make our say on whether the Brexit we're offered is fit for purpose or not; is as described or not. And that we have the right to reject it and claim our refund - getting back to where we started in the first place.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited February 2018
    rcs1000 said:

I suspect the answer is that (a) the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco is the responsible agency and therefore information flow between them and the FBI is weak, (b) they probably get told that 1000s of people are mentally unstable every year.....

"The FBI opens roughly 10,000 threat assessments per year based on tips, according to the Associated Press."
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-tns-bc-fla-schoolshooting-fbi-20180216-story.html

Then add on those tips that are discarded, multiple tips about a single individual, those handled by county and state police, plus other federal agencies. The number of total tips to process might be many multiples the figure above.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My daughter had pet rabbits when she was a child. Needless to say found them intensely boring after a few weeks leaving muggins here to clean them out, feed them and water them. Cute is not the word I would use. If I had only been able to find a fox...
    You would have swapped your daughter for a fox?
  • Options

DavidL said:

I once watched a cat (an Australian cat, but that's probably not relevant) 'stalk' a large butterfly trapped in a house. It caught the butterfly, hurt it, and let it escape. The butterfly could not fly well, and the cat would try to get to whereever it settled. It would pounce on it, or try to climb up and get it, then let it go. This lasted for ages, and eventually the cat killed it.

And did not eat it.

Don't think hunting animals don't 'play' with their food, or even just smaller, inedible animals.
    Do you really think these behaviours don't have survival reasons behind them? I can't say why the fox didn't take any. But even if, as you apparently believe, foxes have evolved to be pointlessly, counterproductively sadistic, to waste energy and risk injury for no benefit to themselves, even then it still wouldn't want to starve itself for no reason. So it must have been startled or had some other reason to think it should leave in a hurry.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    Rexel56 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

My missus got a rabbit because of the semi ...
    Arf!
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, killer whales do the same with seals, flinging them into the air seemingly for sport.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

It's The Guardian. They probably got confused and counted each bullet....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

It's The Guardian. They probably got confused and counted each bullet....
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/20/gun-ownership-america-firearms-super-owners

"That top 14% of gun owners – a group of 7.7m people, or 3% of American adults – own between about eight and 140 guns each. The average is 17."

Yeah, it's probably The Guardian's fault.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Mr. Jessop, killer whales do the same with seals, flinging them into the air seemingly for sport.

Practice innit.

SJWs should boycott Orcas until they stop this beastly activity.
  • Options
    Guido has part of a CIA file on Jezza.

How anyone can vote for this clown and sleep at night is a mystery to me.
  • Options

DavidL said:

And did not eat it.

Do you really think these behaviours don't have survival reasons behind them? I can't say why the fox didn't take any. But even if, as you apparently believe, foxes have evolved to be pointlessly, counterproductively sadistic, to waste energy and risk injury for no benefit to themselves, even then it still wouldn't want to starve itself for no reason. So it must have been startled or had some other reason to think it should leave in a hurry.
    We have to be careful of anthropomorphism, but:

Or perhaps it was just practice? When cubs are young, they need to learn to hunt. Nature documentaries often show such scenes of young animals 'at play'. To make this happen, it's probably enjoyable for the animal. Why would that not be continued later in life?

Or are humans the only animals capable of fun?

So it isn't 'pointlessly, counter-productively sadistic', especially as 'sadistic' (and to a lesser extent, 'fun') is a very human concept (or even a societal one), and one that is probably difficult to carry over into the animal world.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    TGOHF said:

Paul Staines isn't running for election.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

That's not the point I was making.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Every gun is dangerous.

I wouldn't think nine guns are OK but ten is dangerous. One is dangerous. Ten seems a rather arbitary metric.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Cooke,

We can reject the referendum result and the settlement, or rather the Government can. It's up to them to implement the will of the people, or explain why not. They now know the will of the people.

Dave went and negotiated but he didn't try very hard and was punished as a result. If the EU believe that playing really hardball will make us change our minds, they misread the British public, and they will also hurt themselves. Such a transparent cunning plan will only harden resolve.

If the Government come back again and say "Sorry, our masters have decided we can't leave without a punishment beating, so let's back down and grovel." do you really think that Remain could win another referendum?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Oh crikey, does that mean he collaborated with the Americans then??!!!

What a load of nonsense, the file details his support for Left Wing groups in Central America. Let's remember of course that the US was on the side that walked into a cathedral and murdered the Archbishop San Salvador, and murdered a bus load of nuns...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

They are mental. A charming lady who was a member was being asked on R5 the other night why she had a gun. She explained that she often had to go to Birmingham, Alabama, in her car and it was not tremendously reliable. If it broke down she might need it to protect herself. Tony commented in this country we normally just phoned the AA.

She was, in fact, an indicator of the problem. She breaks down in a black neighbourhood and her first thought is to pull her gun from the glove compartment. What could possibly go wrong in that scenario?

A hundred years ago, one of Britain's first female motorists (and inventor of the rear-view mirror) wrote a book about driving for women.
    She also advised women travelling alone to carry a handgun; her recommendation was an automatic Colt, as in her opinion its relative lack of recoil made it particularly suitable for women.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Levitt

It's easy to forget that our own culture has taken a long journey wrt guns. Read Sherlock Holmes and see how he asks Watson to get out his gun (fnarr). Whilst we were nowhere near as bad as the US is now, we have made vast changes to societal attitudes to firearms.

I hold little hope of the US even starting a similar journey.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

You can but we will still end up out of the EU with a 'special relationship' with Cuba rather than the USA (unless Bernie Sanders wins in 2020 of course)
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Every gun is dangerous.

I wouldn't think nine guns are OK but ten is dangerous. One is dangerous. Ten seems a rather arbitary metric.
    Except it is easier to keep control of one gun over ten, especially if you don't have to keep them locked up.

"Where's my gun?"
    "Oh, it's in its holster."

"Where's my tenth gun?"
    "Darned it, I'm a gun nut and I can only count to nine because i blew off my little pinkie whilst playing with my toys."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

Foxes need to be killed. Fox hunting was not cruel. So what happened before they were killed, and what people wore the while, was irrelevant .
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    TGOHF said:

You still digging.

Great news
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,985

TGOHF said:

Oh crikey, does that mean he collaborated with the Americans then??!!!

What a load of nonsense, the file details his support for Left Wing groups in Central America. Let's remember of course that the US was on the side that walked into a cathedral and murdered the Archbishop San Salvador, and murdered a bus load of nuns...
    Grenada anyone?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited February 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Osborne doesn’t get things quite right. A customs union without the Single Market will still require customs checks in Northern Ireland and Dover/Calais to ensure that goods entering the EU are compatible with Single Market standards, and those entering the U.K. are compatible with ours. However, there will certainly not be a requirement to hold up every shipment thanks to data sharing, AEOs etc. Not having to pay any tariffs will help to preserve cross-border supply chains, but we still will need to spend money on customs infrastructure for standard assessment.

While it’s not my ideal solution, a customs union with the EU outside the Single Market will respect the referendum result, based on what I believe most Leave voters were voting on. The problem is that the small minority who thought it was about giving the U.K. the uninhibited right to negotiate its own trade deals largely sit on the Tory backbenches.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    TGOHF said:

The guide to Guido loons:

Jezza sold secrets to Czech spy!

Nope, and he's suing the dimwit who suggested it.

Jezza is foolishly drawing attention to his own traitorousness! Why isn't Jezza giving permission for his Stasi file to be released?!

Germany says there is no file.

It must have been destroyed! Jezza must give permission for his CIA file to be released!

and so on.

Probably needs more exclamation marks to fully capture their moist, breathless excitement, but I couldn't be arsed.
  • Options
    Close to half of Leave voters think the BBC is anti Brexit. The Daily Mail is seen as the most pro Brexit media outlet

https://mobile.twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/966663620875694081
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Nigelb said:

But the Leavers told us this would be easy.
    Of course it will be easy, 27 governments will do exactly as TMay and Davis tell them to do....
This discussion has been closed.