Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Even Arron Banks now thinks we are heading for a second refere

2»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    RobD said:

FPT - can someone please explain to me what a Home Assistant actually does?

Does it help with dusting, hoovering, tidying up or washing up? Or prepping vegetables?

As far as I can tell it sits there on a table listening in to your conversations, ocassionally googles something or flips to a Netflix channel for you.

I can really do that myself.

You can ask Alexa to put on some soothing cat purring noises.
    Or to order a pineapple pizza, while playing Radioheads greatest hits...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

rkrkrk said:

Does it help with dusting, hoovering, tidying up or washing up? Or prepping vegetables?

As far as I can tell it sits there on a table listening in to your conversations, ocassionally googles something or flips to a Netflix channel for you.

Based on a sample of 1 family member - it's used as a radio and a 'what is the weather going to be like today?' machine.

But much preferred to having to use a computer and google.
    I'd rather have my family quietly looking up such things on their phones rather than barking at a 'pod' on the table, and disturbing everyone else.

Colour me unconvinced.
    It’s great for music. Hook it up to your sound system and ask it to play music is a great improvement over flicking through iTunes or your CD collection.
  • Options

It works great as a reminder service.

It’s a bit like hiring a violinist for romantic dinner date in a restaurant.

Fun at the start but the novelty wears off after a few minutes.

It you have an iPhone and an Apple Watch, Siri does most of what a home pod does already.

Home Assistants are very annoying when you have young children.
    Thanks - doesn't sound like I'm missing out.
    We’ve had quite a lot smart tech installed recently.

It’s nice to be able to control the lights and washing machine from the lounge.

As a fan of 2001 I like having my own HAL.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    RBS back in profit:
    "The bank, which is majority-owned by the taxpayer, made an annual profit of £752m compared with a £6.95bn loss the year before."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43166560
  • Options

It works great as a reminder service.

It’s a bit like hiring a violinist for romantic dinner date in a restaurant.

Fun at the start but the novelty wears off after a few minutes.

It you have an iPhone and an Apple Watch, Siri does most of what a home pod does already.

Home Assistants are very annoying when you have young children.
    Thanks - doesn't sound like I'm missing out.
    We’ve had quite a lot smart tech installed recently.

It’s nice to be able to control the lights and washing machine from the lounge.

As a fan of 2001 I like having my own HAL.
    Can you get it to call you Dave?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Why have QT got a "journalist" from a Corbyn loony left website which was recently struck off by Companies House for non-compliance?

Why not?
    Well for starters their "journalists" were involved in spreading untruths about the government cover ups about Grenfell tower.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-daily-telegraph/20170617/281500751241946

I thought the BBC were against giving those spreading Fake News a platform.
    They have no problems giving them a platform with the press review each night.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

Divergence doesn't make sense as a policy. You are either compliant with the other party's regulation for goods and services, or you are not. If compliant you can demand your goods and services are treated the same way as the other party's. If you are not compliant you can apply whatever regulation you want but you won't get national treatment on your goods and services.
    Divergence makes lots of sense when a huge proportion of your businesses produce for domestic consumption.

Divergence makes lots of sense when you're one of the biggest economies in the world and need to be able to use governmental and regulatory levers to preserve and progress this

And, of course, the ability to diverge makes lots of sense when the party you're discussing with are petrified of you diverging.

On this logic, divergence only makes sense as a policy if you are no longer interested in selling goods and services into the European market on the same basis as the other party. If your own regulations don't comply with those of the other side, you have to go through expensive certification and testing to prove your stuff does comply with their regulation. In many cases it will simply be barred.

In practice, essentially no business wants divergence. It damages those that export, and exports are important, while those that are entirely domestic don't care.

I am making a comment about the lack of commercial logic, and not a political point.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    rcs1000 said:

I'm in no hurry to install Google Surveillance or Amazon Spy in my home.

If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear.
    Good to see you support government tyrannical powers. Look at the government's introduced unexplained wealth orders at the end of January. They presume guilt tasking society backwards before magna carta. It's a strange world with these russiaphobes supporting policies straight our of the Marxist playbook!

On another note we shouldn't be surprised to see the universities pensions strike. 10 years of interest rates on the floor have caused this. Not as though the supposedly clever university boffins can see it!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited February 2018
    FF43 said:

Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

Divergence doesn't make sense as a policy. You are either compliant with the other party's regulation for goods and services, or you are not. If compliant you can demand your goods and services are treated the same way as the other party's. If you are not compliant you can apply whatever regulation you want but you won't get national treatment on your goods and services.
    Divergence makes lots of sense when a huge proportion of your businesses produce for domestic consumption.

Divergence makes lots of sense when you're one of the biggest economies in the world and need to be able to use governmental and regulatory levers to preserve and progress this

And, of course, the ability to diverge makes lots of sense when the party you're discussing with are petrified of you diverging.

On this logic, divergence only makes sense as a policy if you are no longer interested in selling goods and services into the European market on the same basis as the other party. If your own regulations don't comply with those of the other side, you have to go through expensive certification and testing to prove your stuff does comply with their regulation. In many cases it will simply be barred.

In practice, essentially no business wants divergence. It damages those that export, and exports are important, while those that are entirely domestic don't care.

I am making a comment about the lack of commercial logic, and not a political point.
    As I said last night, we must conform to extant rules and classes of the customs union, or sacrifice our industrial base. As at 2018, we are heavily reliant on a European supply chain, let alone the European export market.

From this position of standstill, we might choose in the future to diverge on rules and classes on new products (home assistants?) that don’t yet exist.

I think that’s the theory, anyway.

No one in their sane mind would leave the customs union, but no one in their sane mind, once deciding to leave the EU, would sign up to staying in complete alignment with it indefinitely, either.

Thus, “divergence” makes complete sense. I don’t think the Chequers away day could have come to any other conclusion.

The question then becomes, can May find a form of words to legislate for above? And can she negotiate it with the EU?

And, can Corbyn find a different form of words sufficient to drive a wedge between May and Tory Remainers in Parliament?
  • Options
    So much for the NRAs trumpeted notion of having guns in schools - the trouble is, they have human operators pulling the trigger - or not:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43164634
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm in no hurry to install Google Surveillance or Amazon Spy in my home.

If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear.
    Good to see you support government tyrannical powers. Look at the government's introduced unexplained wealth orders at the end of January. They presume guilt tasking society backwards before magna carta. It's a strange world with these russiaphobes supporting policies straight our of the Marxist playbook!

On another note we shouldn't be surprised to see the universities pensions strike. 10 years of interest rates on the floor have caused this. Not as though the supposedly clever university boffins can see it!
    Must be some pension they have, given what they are being offered as alternative is two to three times better than most private sector workers get. Maybe a couple of years in a real job would sort their heads out and make them realise sucking at the public teat cannot go on forever.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: well, the McLaren reveal was pencilled in for today but it seems to have already happened. The colour scheme is very "acceptable in the 80s":
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43162270

I rather like it.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    NEW THREAD
This discussion has been closed.