Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB shifts a notch on Brexit and backs a CON rebel Commons

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    John_M said:

Oh. Twitter people.

Twitter people are people too....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    OT Something to repeat from 'Fall Out'.

With 533 more votes in the right place, May would have a majority. With ~2,000 extra votes judiciously applied, we'd have PM Corbyn (and presumably many here would be in the Gulag).

The politics are exquisite.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The line of thought is simple enough, I grant you.

I saw a theory recently that some of the motivation for the Leave was a rejection of complexity.

Life was simpler when everybody you met spoke English (only)

Life was simpler when our passports were Blue.

It would be simpler to use the NHS if the waiting rooms were empty.

A Free trade deal with the EU will be the simplest in history. We can get it done in an afternoon.

If that is true, it begs the question what happens when Brexit increases the complexity of life in almost every area.
    The Leavers will blame everyone else for not doing Brexit the correct way. Presumably the deportations will start soon after... ;)
    Don’t worry, David Davis and Liam Fox will be in charge of the deportations.

Those two cock juggling thunder twats are so incompetent they’ll end up deporting Leavers and importing loads of EU citizens.
    :D:D:D
    Joking aside I wasn’t shocked last year when a Leaver talked about repatriation of Indians.

An inevitable consequence of things like the Breaking Point posters.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Elliot said:

Think tank the Quillam Foundation, which focuses on counter-extremism, said 84% of the 264 offenders convicted of grooming between 2005 and 2017 were of south Asian heritage.

Mr Spicer said the perpetrator he spoke to "displayed no regret" and "spoke in a derogatory manner about a lack of morals in British girls".

Odd that they have no problem with their own morals - being molesters, rapists, abusers, etc.

Other peoples's morals are obviously more important ...
    What they mean by "lack of morals" is "not Muslim". I grew up in the Muslim community. While most Muslims are decent, kind-hearted people, there is an Islam nationalistic subset that regards non-Muslim girls as "kuffar scum". They do not dress modestly, showing their arms, legs, hair etc so deserve what they get. Often they will justify it by referring to how non-Muslim women were treated as sex slaves under the Rashidun Caliphs.
    I had never heard of the Rashidun Caliphs so I googled it. 632 - 611 AD????

That is their model of behaviour in the modern world? They need to wise up.

Having said, some christian sects and group could do with modernising too..
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    Scotland not doing too well in the curling.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

John_M said:

Oh. Twitter people.

*sulkily concedes the point*
  • Options

Elliot said:

Think tank the Quillam Foundation, which focuses on counter-extremism, said 84% of the 264 offenders convicted of grooming between 2005 and 2017 were of south Asian heritage.

Mr Spicer said the perpetrator he spoke to "displayed no regret" and "spoke in a derogatory manner about a lack of morals in British girls".

Odd that they have no problem with their own morals - being molesters, rapists, abusers, etc.

What they mean by "lack of morals" is "not Muslim". I grew up in the Muslim community. While most Muslims are decent, kind-hearted people, there is an Islam nationalistic subset that regards non-Muslim girls as "kuffar scum". They do not dress modestly, showing their arms, legs, hair etc so deserve what they get. Often they will justify it by referring to how non-Muslim women were treated as sex slaves under the Rashidun Caliphs.

It's one of the tenets of Salafism - the pure wine of the Caliphate has been diluted by endless hadiths and sundry other compromises with the secular world. It's a little like Old Testament Judaism - the reason there are so many ills in the Islamic world is because the people have strayed from the True Path.
  • Options

John_M said:

Oh. Twitter people.

Except the bots.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2018

Elliot said:

The taxation policy of the Rashidun Caliphs sounds very similar to John McDonnell's:

Zakāt (زكاة) is the Islamic concept of luxury tax. It was taken from the Muslims in the amount of 2.5% of their dormant wealth (over a certain amount unused for a year) to give to the poor. Only persons whose annual wealth exceeded a minimum level (nisab) were collected from. The nisab does not include primary residence, primary transportation, moderate amount of woven jewelry, etc
    Kharaj was a tax on agricultural land.
    Ushr was a reciprocal 10% levy on agricultural land as well as merchandise imported from states that taxed the Muslims on their products.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

There's certainly a moral case for Mr Corbyn to try to form a government in the case of TMay losing a vote of no confidence.Should he be able to secure a working arrangement of some sort with the LDs,SNP and Greens,he would represent 52% of those who voted in GE2017,a good basis for the validation of a minority government.Some might say it's "the Will of The People".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2017/results

True, though I expect the new Tory Leader of the Opposition would relish fighting a Corbyn minority government propped up by the SNP, LDs and Greens at the next general election
    There is a live test of more or less this scenario going on in New Zealand right now. I think Labour would head into a definite poll lead here if it happened, at the expense of Lib Dem and (In Scotland) SNP share.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/01/newshub-poll-labour-soars-to-popularity-not-seen-for-a-decade.html
    First that poll is barely a few months after the general election and second the Nationals are still in front on voteshare (and almost certainly seats on that poll) and third Ardern is not Corbyn, after all she once worked for Blair.

A Corbyn government would likely be as unpopular as the administration of Francois Hollande within a few years and if Hollande had stood for re election and not Macron he would have lost to the UMP candidate by a landslide
    We dont have a proportional system in the UK -we have a seats based system. You are also giving Corbyn 52% of the vote by handing over the Lib Dem vote to Corbyn. LIb Dems are not Corbynites and are opposed to most of his programme. You cannot just tot up all those who did not vote Tory and assume they are all pro Corbyn.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Elliot said:

It's one of the tenets of Salafism - the pure wine of the Caliphate has been diluted by endless hadiths and sundry other compromises with the secular world. It's a little like Old Testament Judaism - the reason there are so many ills in the Islamic world is because the people have strayed from the True Path.
    I’d make a great Caliph.

First Hadith - Stop killing people you twats.

Second Hadith - You do realise the 72 virgins are all male.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I saw a theory recently that some of the motivation for the Leave was a rejection of complexity.

A Free trade deal with the EU will be the simplest in history. We can get it done in an afternoon.

If that is true, it begs the question what happens when Brexit increases the complexity of life in almost every area.
    The Leavers will blame everyone else for not doing Brexit the correct way. Presumably the deportations will start soon after... ;)

Those two cock juggling thunder twats are so incompetent they’ll end up deporting Leavers and importing loads of EU citizens.
    Joking aside I wasn’t shocked last year when a Leaver talked about repatriation of Indians.

I am quite convinced that there is a lot of closet racism and xenophobia on the Leave side. None of their arguments about "taking back control" or "better trade agreements" or (god forbid) "the importance of blue passports" make any sense when closely examined.

If they think that, post Brexit, we are going to be living in a biscuit-tin copy of a Cotswold village then they are all off their trolleys.

They can do what the hell they like. I no longer care. If an opportunity arises to stop Brexit I will give it my backing as is my democratic right in a free society, but however Brexit turns out, the responsibility for it is with "Leave". This is project, their vision and their dream. If it goes belly-up then it is their fault too.
  • Options

Elliot said:

The taxation policy of the Rashidun Caliphs sounds very similar to John McDonnell's:

Zakāt (زكاة) is the Islamic concept of luxury tax. It was taken from the Muslims in the amount of 2.5% of their dormant wealth (over a certain amount unused for a year) to give to the poor. Only persons whose annual wealth exceeded a minimum level (nisab) were collected from. The nisab does not include primary residence, primary transportation, moderate amount of woven jewelry, etc
    Ushr was a reciprocal 10% levy on agricultural land as well as merchandise imported from states that taxed the Muslims on their products.
    I’ve paid the Zakāt ever year since I was 22.

My mother insists on it.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    John_M said:

Elliot said:

So basically Islamists act in exactly the same way as the far left excusing the disaster that is Venezuela?

Explains the joint problem with antisemitism, I suppose.
  • Options

John_M said:

Elliot said:

I’d make a great Caliph.

First Hadith - Stop killing people you twats.

Second Hadith - You do realise the 72 virgins are all male.
    Works for me

:D:D:D:D
  • Options

John_M said:

Oh. Twitter people.

Except the bots.
    Reminds me of an old expression in the early years of the World Wide Web.

The Internet: Where the men are men, the women are men and children are FBI agents.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I don't understand why May indulges Soubry - have a quiet word with her constituency chairman or something.

She didn't cut it as a minister - more trouble than she's worth.
  • Options

John_M said:

Oh. Twitter people.

Except the bots.

The Internet: Where the men are men, the women are men and children are FBI agents.
    And small, furry creatures from Alpha Centauri ... ???
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    edited February 2018
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

On the party being split, there are more of us then there are of them. Eventually the last EUphiles will be removed from the party and there will be no split. The last EUsceptic split was 93 MPs the last EUphile split was 12 MPs.

Didn’t most Tory MPs back Remain?
    Max is confusing rebels with Remainers. Plenty of the latter have never and never will rebel. Which is of course not to say that they are not biding their time for events.
    I'm not confusing anything, there are Tory MPs who have voted for Brexit and Tory MPs who have voted against. Last time there were 12 of your lot. Not exactly the earth shattering figure that is being presented.
    As I say, you are confused.

There is a smallish union set of remainers and rebels. You said "eventually the last EUphiles will be removed from the party". There are dozens at least more likely hundreds of EUPhile MPs in the Conservative Party. They ain't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.
    Diacritics over words transliterated into English, a language with no diacritics.

When did this become OK? It makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

John_M said:

Oh. Twitter people.

Except the bots.

Are seemingly a very personal fantasy. Each to their own...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

John_M said:

Oh. Twitter people.

Except the bots.

... were the only voters for the LibDems.

• Options

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.
    Who to?
  • Options

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.
    Who to?
    To those less fortunate than us.

I think one year my Zakāt paid for someone’s wedding.
  • Options

Indeed.

https://twitter.com/LibyaLiberty/status/966724266401116161
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367
    RoyalBlue said:

Elliot said:

What they mean by "lack of morals" is "not Muslim"... Often they will justify it by referring to how non-Muslim women were treated as sex slaves under the Rashidun Caliphs.

My mother insists on it.
    Diacritics over words transliterated into English, a language with no diacritics.

Similar behaviour had been commonplace since at least 1975...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motörhead
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I am quite convinced that there is a lot of closet racism and xenophobia on the Leave side. None of their arguments about "taking back control" or "better trade agreements" or (god forbid) "the importance of blue passports" make any sense when closely examined.

If they think that, post Brexit, we are going to be living in a biscuit-tin copy of a Cotswold village then they are all off their trolleys.

They can do what the hell they like. I no longer care. If an opportunity arises to stop Brexit I will give it my backing as is my democratic right in a free society, but however Brexit turns out, the responsibility for it is with "Leave". This is project, their vision and their dream. If it goes belly-up then it is their fault too.
    Which brexiteers were advocating creating a new customs union as part of their dream?

You only get to shift all blame onto brexiteers if you let them call the shots.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

It's interesting how many people have suddenly started saying they're bored/exhausted/fed up with Brexit. A definite change in mood in the last few days.

Boredom is necessary. We won't put an end to Brexit until people get so fed up with it that they will sign up to any union, single market or vassal state that it is going, just to make it go away. The end point we are aiming for is, much the same as before but sufficiently inferior to it that the EU can make its point about the value of membership and thereby discourage anyone else from being quite as stupid as we were.

It seems to be turning out as I expected.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Any Conservative MP who votes against Government policy should immediately have the whip removed, and de-selected.

If only Dave had done that between 2010 and 2016 then Mrs May wouldn’t have to deal with the ERG lot.
    Did any of them side with the opposition to legally tie his hands in his negotiation with the EU?
    They voted against their own government’s Queen Speech.

So much worse.
    I'm not sure. I think this negotiation is more important than any single year's legislative agenda.
    Ok.

So following on with your premise, why do you hate a sovereign Parliament ?

I was assured that’s what the referendum was about and nowt to do with immigration.
    Who elects Parliament?

The Russians?

No, the people!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    Pulpstar said:

There is a live test of more or less this scenario going on in New Zealand right now. I think Labour would head into a definite poll lead here if it happened, at the expense of Lib Dem and (In Scotland) SNP share.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/01/newshub-poll-labour-soars-to-popularity-not-seen-for-a-decade.html

BJGPS. Being Junior Governing Party Sucks. Iron rule of politics.
  • Options
    chrisoxon said:

Scott_P said:

Which brexiteers were advocating creating a new customs union as part of their dream?

They are calling the shots. We do not have a "Remain" govt.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Three new German polls out today, putting the Social Democrats on 17% or 17.5%.

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

Latest averages:

CDU/CSU 32.9%
    SPD 17.1%
    AfD 14.0%
    Greens 12.3%
    Left 10.1%
    FDP 9.1%
    Others 4.5%
  • Options

chrisoxon said:

Scott_P said:

Theresa May is a REMAINER?
  • Options
    The pure wine of Brexit has been diluted by all these motions and sundry other compromises with political reality. All the ills of Brexit are due to parliamentarians straying from the True Path.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I don't understand why May indulges Soubry - have a quiet word with her constituency chairman or something.

She didn't cut it as a minister - more trouble than she's worth.

She did as a business minister. She's a cut above most of the current front bench, whether you like her or not (I don't)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Elliot said:

What they mean by "lack of morals" is "not Muslim"... Often they will justify it by referring to how non-Muslim women were treated as sex slaves under the Rashidun Caliphs.

My mother insists on it.

Chloë, Zoë, etc. Nothing new.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited February 2018
    FF43 said:

It's interesting how many people have suddenly started saying they're bored/exhausted/fed up with Brexit. A definite change in mood in the last few days.

Boredom is necessary. We won't put an end to Brexit until people get so fed up with it that they will sign up to any union, single market or vassal state that it is going, just to make it go away. The end point we are aiming for is, much the same as before but sufficiently inferior to it that the EU can make its point about the value of membership and thereby discourage anyone else from being quite as stupid as we were.

It seems to be turning out as I expected.
    I should also say prevarication is necessary. Theresa May doesn't get much respect but she is doing* what she needs to do. Rees Mogg could muck everything up, however, by bringing down May. That would put Britain into a real crisis. There's an argument for him to do so. Time is against those that want a meaningful Brexit.

* Edit. More accurately, not doing what she needs not to do,
  • Options

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.
    Who to?

This year it can go behind the bar at the next PB drinks do?
    Is another one planned anytime soon?
  • Options

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.
    Who to?

If I win my bet with HYUFD half the £500 is going behind the bar.

I’ll ask Mike to arrange a new meet up.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    If this is correct, it doesn't much matter what our parliament votes for, we'll be told what we're having:

Frustrated by what they view as unclear UK positions, EU leaders plan to make a no-frills offer based loosely on an existing free trade deal with Canada.

“That will happen no matter whether more or less detail will come from London by that time,” said one senior EU official close to the talks. “We are where we are, and time is ticking.”

The EU’s paper will reflect “what we know about the UK’s red lines”, the official said.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/eu-officials-attack-theresa-mays-brexit-blueprint-hours-after-chequers-summit-a3774081.html

It's fair enough, actually. In the absence of agreement in the UK, and with the government too weak to impose agreement, the EU has little choice but to impose a solution. Obviously it won't be optimal from our point of view, and obviously it won't be as good as we could have got if Theresa May had been given the negotiating mandate she asked from from voters, but as the Eurocrat says, we are where we are. It won't be as disastrous as crashing out with no agreement at all, or as ending up under WTO rules
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    John_M said:

The pure wine of Brexit has been diluted by all these motions and sundry other compromises with political reality. All the ills of Brexit are due to parliamentarians straying from the True Path.

cf Communism.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited February 2018

Pulpstar said:

BJGPS. Being Junior Governing Party Sucks. Iron rule of politics.
    There is almost no chance that the Lib Dems would enter a coalition after the next election, whether Labour- or Conservative-led. (I say "almost" because PR without a referendum would probably swing it.)

Confidence & supply is the best that Labour could hope for, and I can't see the Lib Dems even affording that to a Conservative government led by anyone further right than Anna Soubry.

(C&S could actually be a real winner for the Lib Dems - it would mean they'd rarely be out of the headlines, and the party traditionally does better when people are reminded it exists.)
  • Options

chrisoxon said:

Scott_P said:

We don't have a leave government either and as the thread header makes clear the government doesn't have an unassailable majority.

The big problem we face currently is the lack of strong government. Yes, someone would end up unhappy, but at least we would have leadership. Instead we are headed for expensive time consuming fudge that will make absolutely no one happy.
  • Options

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.
    Who to?

That's very kind of you old chap.
  • Options

Theresa May is a REMAINER?

She might have been once, but "... if it walks a duck and quacks like a duck then there is a good chance it is a member of the Anatidae family"
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Anyone got any idea what “ambitious managed divergence” is?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:

Don't bother. It's a wanky theory.

It was a rejection of the EU. That is what you can boil the Leave vote down to.
  • Options

A flavour of fudge?
  • Options

Divorcing your wife and still expecting steak and fellatio every day after the marriage from her.
  • Options

Divorcing your wife and still expecting steak and fellatio every day after the marriage from her.
    .. until you find someone else to provide it, then you manage some further divergence.
  • Options

Whilst cherry picking and eating cake.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Sounds good. Where do I sign?
  • Options

Labours policy seems to be divorce, no steak but still have to do your turn at the dishes and listen to nagging for 2 hrs a night.

• Options

Sounds good. Where do I sign?
    In the "Leave" box on the ballot paper.....
  • Options

.. until you find someone else to provide it, then you manage some further divergence.
    Well that’s disappointing ambition.

You should be aiming to set up a harem.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Scott_P said:

A club with a 98 per cent white European population that puts barriers up to the rest of the world - mostly at the expense of people who wish to trade in poorer developing nations and provides preferential immigration treatment in terms of said citizens over and above more highly qualified people from said poorer nations.

Yes - the EU is very progressive.

I expect people in the UK just wanted to leave so we could decide our own approach and our own immigration policy. So Indian doctors or Brazilian engineers would actually be treated more favourably in terms of access to live and work here than car washers from Eastern Europe.
  • Options

Harem Scarem
  • Options

If this is correct, it doesn't much matter what our parliament votes for, we'll be told what we're having:

Frustrated by what they view as unclear UK positions, EU leaders plan to make a no-frills offer based loosely on an existing free trade deal with Canada.

“That will happen no matter whether more or less detail will come from London by that time,” said one senior EU official close to the talks. “We are where we are, and time is ticking.”

The EU’s paper will reflect “what we know about the UK’s red lines”, the official said.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/eu-officials-attack-theresa-mays-brexit-blueprint-hours-after-chequers-summit-a3774081.html

It's fair enough, actually. In the absence of agreement in the UK, and with the government too weak to impose agreement, the EU has little choice but to impose a solution. Obviously it won't be optimal from our point of view, and obviously it won't be as good as we could have got if Theresa May had been given the negotiating mandate she asked from from voters, but as the Eurocrat says, we are where we are. It won't be as disastrous as crashing out with no agreement at all, or as ending up under WTO rules

There's no one at the wheel on the EU side either. With Germany otherwise preoccupied, the Eurocrats have more influence over Britain than they ever have had before.
  • Options

One has to be realistic about the negotiating prowess of Wazir al-Fox.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

There's no one at the wheel on the EU side either. With Germany otherwise preoccupied, the Eurocrats have more influence over Britain than they ever have had before.
    Yes, and that points towards a fairly uncontroversial deal (in EU27 terms), which is not a very ambitious one from our point of view.

Edit: Having said that, I think we still are fairly likely to get some accommodation on financial services, because the EU does seem to understand that access to the City is important to them.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    deleted - summat went wrong....
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.
    Who to?

What was the bet?
  • Options
    Big drop in support for Catalan independence:
    https://twitter.com/___m______1___/status/967010890234114048
  • Options
    SO how is the IOC policy of letting the russians who are definitely clean athletes compete...

A second Russian athlete competing at the Winter Olympics has tested positive for a banned substance.

• Options
    brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:

A club with a 98 per cent white European population that puts barriers up to the rest of the world - mostly at the expense of people who wish to trade in poorer developing nations and provides preferential immigration treatment in terms of said citizens over and above more highly qualified people from said poorer nations.

Yes - the EU is very progressive.

I expect people in the UK just wanted to leave so we could decide our own approach and our own immigration policy. So Indian doctors or Brazilian engineers would actually be treated more favourably in terms of access to live and work here than car washers from Eastern Europe.
    I do try to be fair. The EU has reasonably long standing EBA (Everything But Arms) agreements with 49 poor countries. They're tariff and quota free. The criticism is that the RoOs make it hard for those poor countries to climb the value chain, so they tend to be confined to resources, agriculture and simple manufactured goods.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.
    Who to?

What was the bet?
    Jeremy Hunt beats either JRM or Boris in the final two.

HYUFD offered me 50/1.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

A mixed bag of results in last night's by-elections.

Conservative six (3 gains, 2 losses) Lib Dems three (two gains, two losses) Labour One (no change) Independent One (one gain, two losses). A lot of very tight contests. It could easily have been four net Con gains, or two net Lib Dem gains.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    edited February 2018

SO how is the IOC policy of letting the russians who are definitely clean athletes compete...

A second Russian athlete competing at the Winter Olympics has tested positive for a banned substance.

Whoops. So even with a lucky second chance they still get caught cheating. They’ve probably ruined the chances of any Russians getting near the Olympics for some time. Watch for the genuinely clean ones moving to another country.
  • Options

HYUFD offered me 50/1.

You might want to cover your downside with a bit of Penny Mordaunt..... Especially if Lady Nugee looks like being the Annointed Successor to the Jezziah.
  • Options

HYUFD offered me 50/1.

Oh yeah... but it was voided if that isn't the matchup that happens in practice.
    Sadly for the drinks fund!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Whoops. So even with a lucky second chance they still get caught cheating. They’ve probably ruined the chances of any Russians getting near the Olympics for some time. Watch for the genuinely clean ones moving to another country.
    If the whistleblowers are to be believed there aren’t any genuinely clean ones because you don’t get selected / stay on the programmes required to become elite unless you do what you are told.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843

rkrkrk said:

Elliot said:

".

My mother insists on it.
    Who to?

What was the bet?

HYUFD offered me 50/1.
    That’s a great bet, if the contest is to be PM rather than LotO.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

HYUFD offered me 50/1.

Oh yeah... but it was voided if that isn't the matchup that happens in practice.
    If Hunt becomes next PM/Tory leader I’m quids in.

It’ll be my biggest ever winner.

Astonishing to think he was 100/1 and 66/1 only a few months ago.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2018
    Quite incredible....

Police appeared to punish victims of Newcastle grooming gangs, review finds

Report into work of Operation Sanctuary finds 700 girls and women were victims of gangs

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/23/northumbria-police-operation-sanctuary-newcastle-grooming-gangs-case-review
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Two unnecessary words and an unnecessary question mark in that first line.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367
    Scott_P said:
    "...It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever..."
  • Options

Quite incredible....

Report into work of Operation Sanctuary finds 700 girls and women were victims of gangs

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/23/northumbria-police-operation-sanctuary-newcastle-grooming-gangs-case-review

With the landmark case earlier this week that the Police are liable for failing to investigate Worboys properly after the first allegations, it would be interesting to see victims launch a suit against the Police here too.
  • Options

Not much of a shift in voting intention for the parliament, though.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Sandpit said:

Should we be making doping an Olympic sport to accommodate the Ruskies?
  • Options

TGOHF said:
    Well quite possibly.

But they get 4% with YG - where that goes or stays home may decide the election.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

HYUFD offered me 50/1.

If Hunt becomes next PM/Tory leader I’m quids in.

It’ll be my biggest ever winner.

Astonishing to think he was 100/1 and 66/1 only a few months ago.
    Me too on Hunt.
    Will put me back in the +ve column after Donald Trump betting debacle of 2016.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    This is David Coburn’s moment.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, those would be very nice odds.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

HYUFD offered me 50/1.

You might want to cover your downside with a bit of Penny Mordaunt..... Especially if Lady Nugee looks like being the Annointed Successor to the Jezziah.
    Might the EU27 starting to fret about the UK's missing billions start to play with markets and thinking? The meejah starting to draw blood asking donors whether they'd like to pay more and recipients whether they'd like to get less; a definite shift of emphasis I thought.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited February 2018
    William_H said:

Not much of a shift in voting intention for the parliament, though.
    We’ve seen it in Scotland.

We see support for independence go up and down with no correspondening shift in support for the SNP.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

mumbo jumbo pr bollox speak
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,017

TGOHF said:
    This is David Coburn’s moment.
    Coburn once said that "the ordinary man on the street does not want to get involved in some outrageous experiment that could end in financial catastrophe".
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:
    Well quite possibly.

But they get 4% with YG - where that goes or stays home may decide the election.
    Wasn’t the 4% before the latest debacle?
  • Options

Quite incredible....

With the landmark case earlier this week that the Police are liable for failing to investigate Worboys properly after the first allegations, it would be interesting to see victims launch a suit against the Police here too.
    If expensive for the taxpayer.
  • Options
    A future/next president of France speaking at CPAC?

https://twitter.com/CPAC/status/966729074168049665
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918

Quite incredible....

It’s a little more nuanced than the headline. But not Northumbria Police’s finest hour.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.

An early twentieth century (up to the 30s) spelling was "aëroplane", including, interestingly, in American English too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,017
    rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.

An early twentieth century (up to the 30s) spelling was "aëroplane", including, interestingly, in American English too.
    The New Yorker uses spellings like coöperate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.

The New Yorker uses spellings like coöperate.
    How very pretentious!
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

RoyalBlue said:

Elliot said:

My mother insists on it.

Was it pronounced a-er-o-plane?
This discussion has been closed.